Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

A mate of mine is a big Italian football fan and he was on about this Lavezzi guy a few months back.
    I was talking to him today and he told me we'd been linked with him and said this is one of those players who has potential to light up the premiership and by all accounts 'the kid's a bit special'.(in a good way I presume):pac:

IF we are actually in the hunt for him,I'd presume that Rafa's had his eye on him all season and knows exactly what he's buying.I'd also presume that if we pay big money for him that Rafa thinks he's worth it.
    In Rafa we trust!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

tbh, arent they a great bunch of lads altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Bascombe has written a nice little article about Xabi for tomorrow.:rolleyes:

It's going to be a long, long summer Liverpool-wise.

There was an article with Bascombe that said "Alonso to be sacrificed for tevez deal" It makes no sense whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

I see we're being linked with a move for Glenn Johnson yet again today.

I'm gettin a bit worried by this TBH, especially when I hear crazy figures like £15m being mentioned.

Rafa obviously rates him as he has had a look at him in the past but he aint much of an improvement on Arbeloa IMO!

We'd be better of spending any money we have this summer on other area's & sticking with Arbeloa for next season IMO.

I really hope this is either a smoke screen or speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

It depends how much money there is. Say Rafa's got £30m to spend: if we could replace Babel with someone more effective for a net spend of £10m, replace Lucas with Barry for a net spend of £5m, and then spend £15m on Johnson and get Degen off the books, I would call that a pretty good summer. But it's never going to be that simple!

(I haven't actually seen Johnson play that much but lots of people say he's very good so I'm willing to go with that)

Davei141 wrote: »
    There was an article with Bascombe that said "Alonso to be sacrificed for tevez deal" It makes no sense whatsoever.

Neither move (selling Alonso or buying Tevez) would make sense IMO.

If Alonso was sold I'd be gutted devestated. He's had an excellent season, is only 27 and is reaching his peak. I can see him being one of those players who just gets better & better with age.

Tevez is an outstanding player & has all the qualities RB likes in a player. But lets face it, he's embraced Man U since he's joined them and has become a manc at heart & an idol to thier supporters. For this reason & this reason alone I would not like to see him in a Liverpool shirt & would find it hard to embrace him as one of our own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

BBC Sport gossip page reports:
    Rafael Benitez is closing in on a £15m deal to take Portsmouth and England defender Glen Johnson to Anfield. The Spaniard is also weighing up a bid for Heerenveen winger Daniel Pranjic. (Sunday Express)

One there about alonso from notw but i wont even bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,789 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

shotamoose wrote: »
    It depends how much money there is. Say Rafa's got £30m to spend: if we could replace Babel with someone more effective for a net spend of £10m, replace Lucas with Barry for a net spend of £5m, and then spend £15m on Johnson and get Degen off the books, I would call that a pretty good summer. But it's never going to be that simple!

(I haven't actually seen Johnson play that much but lots of people say he's very good so I'm willing to go with that)

It was reported Pompey still owe Liverpool money over the Crouch deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I think Rafa needs to start bringing in the youngsters a bit more next season. Jay Spearing's cameo against Real was very good and he has a bright future. I also rate Stephen Darby highly, and he was unlucky to pick up an injury before the Sunderland fixture because he would have made his first start otherwise. I would also like to see Krisztian Nemeth get a game or two because from what I've seen these last two years he's a very talented player, as is Daniel Pacheco.

Insua has done very well this season, the Arsenal game at the Emirates in particular, but his season was broken up by the U-20 World Cup Qualifiers.

The key areas we need to improve are the left and right wing and a decent backup/partner for Torres. The current formation would suggest that whatever striker RB signs (if any) would be backup because the system we use is almost brilliant. All we need is the left sided winger to come into the box like Kuyt and Benayoun to cause more problems and give us options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Boggles wrote: »
    It was reported Pompey still owe Liverpool money over the Crouch deal.
    Do you have a link to that? Thats very interesting if true.. Would be very useful in negotiations if we are interested in johnson

However, Portsmouth still owe around £7m from the £12m transfer of striker Peter Crouch last summer, and Benitez hopes to use that to good effect in his bargaining for Johnson.

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

tok9 wrote: »
    Do you have a link to that? Thats very interesting if true.. Would be very useful in negotiations if we are interested in johnson

I think it was linked to on tis thread a few days ago.

edit: nevermind ^^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Unless hes injured, Babels absence from the squad today must surely mean hes on his way out in the summer. Does anyone know if he was available for the spurs game?

MR NINE wrote: »
    Unless hes injured, Babels absence from the squad today must surely mean hes on his way out in the summer. Does anyone know if he was available for the spurs game?

They said on the liverpool website that arbeloa was injured. No mention for Babel though.

Such a shame, I never like seeing players get shipped off.

Except for Pennant. He sucks

44358428hyypiagetty.jpg

hyypia08v.jpg

hyypiadm2105468x473.jpg

A professional. A gentleman. A Legend.

heres to Sami

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

Been a great season for Liverpool. Looking at the league table every credit must go to the team and staff. 2 Losses all season and the form we played the last half of the season in was something else.

Ive every faith in Rafa in the transfer market this season and no better time to have full control over them. Already looking forward to next season.

Thank you Sami! Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Thank you Sami Hyppia for ten years of great service and leadership!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

89722pa7341034122481lo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Great display again today. Sami you are a complete legend lad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That the Spurs fans giving him a standing ovation? Anyway great player, my type of defender. Hope he does well in Germany.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

samihyypiafansmosaicliv.jpg

prop09052428samitottenh.jpg

prop09052403mosaictotte.jpg

Thank you Sami.

Best defender for Liverpool since the PL started hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164508090524-1856.htm

Free video of big Sami's emotional goodbye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I wonder how many of the current team & squad were playing when Sami started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Fantastic pictures.

Sad to see him go, I'd say he'll back some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the current team & squad were playing when Sami started.

Carra, Gerrard and er....

Oh yes can the "Alonso - will he stay or go" now be put to bed. This are Rafas words, after the game, for the forth time on this topic
    Benitez was quizzed on the possibility of Alonso leaving and Carlos Tevez arriving this summer, but would only say: "Clearly I cannot give any names (of players leaving or arriving).
    "Alonso has three years left on his contract and we are really pleased with him, so we do not want to sell.
    "But I have had a private conversation with his agent, and it was interesting to see who had that information.
    "For me it was a private conversation, and it will stay that way, but it is clear he has three more years of his contract and we do not want to sell him.
    "I repeat, we do not want to sell, he is not for sale. He has said he is happy here in Liverpool, in every single press conference, in every single interview.
    "We have some ideas for the future, without losing any of our key players."

Agents eh?

good. alonso needs to stay. going to write up an end of season report later me thinks :p
    great game today even though it was 'meaningless'. glad for robbie keane to score, he was destined to and big sami's farewell was emotional. i know who i will be supporting in the bundesliga next year anyway.
    we played well and controlled the game. whoever said we should get rid of yossi should be shot! /glares at Alan

More stats to ponder

Season up to and including Boro

27 games
    14 wins 11 draws 2 losses
    Average goals scored per game 1.52
    Average winning margin 1.58 goals

Since Boro

11 games
    10 wins
    1 draw
    Average goals scored per game 3.1
    Average winning margin 2.45 goals

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

A new wallpaper done by one of the lads over on IrishKop,its my new one.

samifarewell.png

• Advertisement

Great wallpaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

89722pa7341034122481lo.jpg

gave me chills.

that's exactly where he deserved to be today.

he will be sorely missed. a man as talented, as professional and as talismanic as he is irreplaceable.

there will be those that will try, some that will get close, but there is and only ever will be one Sami Hyypia.

kiitos paljon Sami.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Watching that vid i must admit to shedding a tear for the big man,i simply cant express how sad i am to see him go and how much i see him as a proper Anfield Legend.
    Thanks Sami!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

mike65 wrote: »
    More stats to ponder

Season up to and including Boro

27 games
    14 wins 11 draws 2 losses
    Average goals scored per game 1.52
    Average winning margin 1.58 goals

Since Boro

11 games
    10 wins
    1 draw
    Average goals scored per game 3.1
    Average winning margin 2.45 goals

................and 0 red cards, think it's worth a mention :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We would not have won the UEFA Cup without Sami, that's how much of a legend he was.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

DeadSkin wrote: »
    ................and 0 red cards, think it's worth a mention :)

Apart from that one against Man U for giving RVN's shirt a wee tug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Which he still disputes......

RVN was Droba minus 5 years - Sami should have given him the Keown treatment! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Could anyone who has that gif of the Torres assist for the Gerrard goal against Everton post it please ? You know the one in which he controls the ball beautifully and then backheels it for Gerrard to run on to ?

_1336025_hyypia300.jpg

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    Could anyone who has that gif of the Torres assist for the Gerrard goal against Everton post it please ? You know the one in which he controls the ball beautifully and then backheels it for Gerrard to run on to ?
    FernandosSkill.gif

Heres the flick but it doesn't show the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    FernandosSkill.gif

Heres the flick but it doesn't show the goal.

Love watchin that!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Erm, not Sami. My post was in relation to Mike's post, 0 red cards for Liverpool in the league this season.

Total season stat attack

ACBAKCBLRq

Top scorers Prem

Gerrard___16
    Torres____14
    Kuyt___ __12
    Benayoun__8

Shots on target 224
    Goals scored 77
    Shots/goals ratio 2.9
    Goals conceeded 27
    0.71 goals per game average

Total successful passes Xabi Alonso-2073 (83% completion), Jamie Carragher-1709 (84%) Masch 1340 (83%), Gerrard 1323 (77%)

Total Shots Steven Gerrard - 99 (16% success rate), Kuyt 81 (14%), Torres 72 (19%) Yossi 37 (21%)

CLEAN SHEETS: 25
    Premiership: 19

FAILED TO SCORE: 7
    Premiership: 5

PLAYED EVERY MINUTE IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE: 1
    Reina

STARTED EVERY PL GAME, but did not finish: 1
    Carragher

APPEARED IN EVERY PL GAME: 3
    Carragher, Kuyt, Reina

DOUBLES ACHIEVED: 8
    Bolton, Chelsea, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Man Utd, Blackburn, Newcastle, WBA

DOUBLES SUFFERED: 0

Cards Red 0 Yellow 50, 3rd in fair play league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Final Voronin watch : Hertha got beaten 4:0 against bottom of the team Karlsruher at the weekend, so ended up with a Europa League place. Voronin started on the bench and came on at the start of the second half. Given Hertha said earlier that they needed to qualify for the Champions League in order to be able to afford the €13m deal Voronin was looking for, I really can't imagine this deal being agreed. Also the fact that Voronin hasn't scored since March probably doesn't help.

His stats for this year with Hertha are as follows

33 appearances 2669mins (29.65 full games) 11 goals 3 assists

Agh! :mad:

Alonso calls time

I'm now a little bit worried, not cos of this article per se, but that the Guardian match report suggested Alonsos wave to the crowd as he left the pitch might be his farewell, and that Rafas bullish talk is actually a price-booster tactic and finally that the man himself hasn't said a word except "I don't know", which isn't too helpful Xabi! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

mike65 wrote: »
    Agh! :mad:

Alonso calls time

I'm now a little bit worried, not cos of this article per se, but that the Guardian match report suggested Alonsos wave to the crowd as he left the pitch might be his farewell, and that Rafas bullish talk is actually a price-booster tactic and finally that the man himself hasn't said a word except "I don't know", which isn't too helpful Xabi! :(
    ah, this is gonna linger on for the Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

um....there isnt a signle quote in that piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

I want him to stay but the Rafa is the manager and i trust him 100%. If Madrid want him they would want to put in a realistic offer. 18m is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It doesn't surprise me, at this stage I knew that it was Xabi who was pushing for the exit door rather than Rafa. But at that, it's the Sunday Mail which in my opinion is right up there with The News of the World and The People in the Sunday bullshitting stakes.

el rabitos

I know, I know, but this is me right now

Julie_Andrews_sound_of_music_worried_about_children.jpg

:(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement