Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

does anyone have that gif of the smiley banging it's head off a wall? i have a feeling i may need it this summer...

Is there a problem bastardprince? Feel free to elaborate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,789 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

SWAR wrote: »
    I don't want Barry if it means selling Alonso (gonna be a long summer on this issue :mad:). Sure Barry can play in various positions but we are pretty solid on the left hand side.

I'd see Barry more of a replacement for Lucas in the centre.

Silva won't leave Spain, Villa will go to Real Madrid or Man City.

That probably leaves Ribery who will cost 32-35 million, is undoubted quality, but big questions over temperament and is injury prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

IMO what we need are:

1 x top quality RWF (Lavezzi from Napoli would be fantastic, if unlikely)
    1 x top quality RB / RWB (Johnson maybe)
    1 x good quality, squad CM. (tough one this, don't really know who would suit, probably Barry would have enough about him to fill in for either Mash or Alonso, though he's not very attack minded IMO)
    1 x top quality LB (while we could get away with Insua / Aurelio, I'm not so sure they're of a high enough standard)

They are starting 11 positions we need, NOT squad players.

On the left side of midfield, I think we are ok at the moment, not the strongest, but ok. We have Riera as the defacto LW, and I actually think he's pretty good. He's a decent crosser, and has pace and skill and a thunderous left foot. Has been a little inconsistant, but hopefully that wil change. We have Benny that can fill that role too, and even Aurelio or El Zhar if we're stuck.

I think with Carra, Skrtel & Agger, we have adequate cover in the centre back positions, although maybe filter through a youngster as backup - Kelly for instance.

We have plenty for the centre of the park too, Masch & Alonso by themselves are enough quality for any side in the centre, but its there we need a bit more cover.
    Spearing can do a job as a squad player, but still really lacks the experience, and is still very young. Lucas - I'm sorry, I've seen people say he's solid etc etc. The fact of the matter is, he has got to be the worst Brazilian centre midfield player I have ever seen. He can't dribble, can't tackle, can't pass over 5 yards. I really fail to see what he offers us other than a liability. He needs some time in the reserves to develop, as he's fairly young also. How he has obtained the accolades and plaudits he has so far I'll never know.

Players that need to be sold, to fund better players:
    Lucas, Babel, Dossena, Degen

Reasons:

Lucas - As above.
    Babel - had promise, but had a really disappointing season. He's turned out to be selfish and self centred on the ball, and has blinkered vision. Maybe he'll get a kick in the back side and become the player he has the ability to be, but I wouldn't mind seeing him sold for a profit.
    Dossena - Dont think I have to say much about this one. I don't even know where hes meant to play. On the left, somewhere. Not bad if he could spend 90 mins on the left hand side of the opposition penalty area.
    Degen - A tough one this, as he has promise. But I havent seen enough of him due to injury etc to justify his position in the squad. Its basically just burning money having him there.

Anyway, they're my views, to be slaughtered no doubt, but my 2c!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Boggles wrote: »

That probably leaves Ribery who will cost 32-35 million, is undoubted quality, but big questions over temperament and is injury prone.

didnt city get knocked back by the price Valencia wanted for villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

ribery is nailed on for barca imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

Not convinced by Silva either. Don't think he'd adapt to the premiership very well.

Headshot wrote: »
    didnt city get knocked back by the price Valencia wanted for villa

Only teams have made firm enquires though, Madrid and City.

45 million me reckons.

Players that need to be sold, to fund better players:
    Lucas, Babel, Dossena, Degen

Something tells me Alonso will be sold before Lucas is. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Only teams have made firm enquires though, Madrid and City.

45 million me reckons.

ouch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I Villa will go to Real Madrid or Man City.

Who'd a thought we'd ever see the day this would be said!

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's just filling in the wide positions is of the utmost importance.

I agree. Personally, I think the position of upmost importance this summer is RW. Need to get Kuyt away fron the right wing next season and put in someone with a bit of trickery, pace and ability to beat a man. Too many home draws this season as a result of our deficiences in this area IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I can't see Villa going to Man City unless it's a case of him taking one for the team and getting Valencia a stupid amount of cash. He'll end up at Madrid if anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Ardent wrote: »
    I agree. Personally, I think the position of upmost importance this summer is RW. Need to get Kuyt away fron the right wing next season and put in someone with a bit of trickery, pace and ability to beat a man. Too many home draws this season as a result of our deficiences in this area IMO.

would this be the same Dirk Kuyt who, apart from Ronaldo, was probably the most effective RW in the league in terms of goals scored and created this season? I think a first choice left winger is probably more important. Kuyt is also fundamental to the way we play.
    Riera, much as i like him and think he'll improve, was far less effective than Dirk this season, regardless of how much better his control and touch are

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

I didn't say we would sign either...actually hope we don't...as I said, money would be better spent elsewhere IMO.

I don't see Barry as a replacement for Lucas at all. Lucas is not first choice 11...although he did get his fair share of game time this season due to injuries etc; however I don't think Rafa is looking at Barry as a back-up player to Masch & Alonso.

I didn't even mention Ribery as I don't think it's going to happen...we can't afford what Bayren will be looking for.

+1

• Advertisement

daithijjj wrote: »
    Hang on a minute, something has been lost in translation here. We are basically agreed. I only brought up villa because i thought he was a better player than silva, i never mentioned signing him, i merely suggested i would prefer him to villa if given the choice. You say we need better players to play right back and right mid, 100% agree. I think johnson is perfect for us to be honest, he can play both if required.

but villa wouldn't make sense as a signing. Silva would. That was my argument.

Johnson would be perfect i have to agree. Him and Insua bombing up the wings next season.

PiE wrote: »
    I can't see Villa going to Man City unless it's a case of him taking one for the team and getting Valencia a stupid amount of cash. He'll end up at Madrid if anyone.

The Madrid elections are goofy at the best of times. One of them has pledged 50 million for him in his manifesto.

It would certainly make up for the lack of CL revenue this year, lets them keep Silva and gives them a chance to get back there next year.

would this be the same Dirk Kuyt who, apart from Ronaldo, was probably the most effective RW in the league in terms of goals scored and created this season? I think a first choice left winger is probably more important. Kuyt is also fundamental to the way we play.

I agree...Kuyt had a great season but he did play a number of games this season as a striker...don't get me wrong he did prove me wrong in certain aspects; however I do think we need a right winger that possesses a bit of pace and has the ability to beat players, which is what Kuyt lacks...as I said before maybe Arron Lennon.

I don't see Barry as a replacement for Lucas at all. Lucas is not first choice 11...although he did get his fair share of game time this season due to injuries etc; however I don't think Rafa is looking at Barry as a back-up player to Masch & Alonso.

My point was though, he can be backup to Alonso and Mash in the centre and still make 40 appearences because of his versatility. I just think at 8 million it's a steal, because even if it doesn't work out that money would be easily recouped in 12 months.

The problem is, will it unsettle Alonso?

It's a world cup year, and players like Alonso want to prove to their international managers that they are good enough for the trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I think what we're aaaaaall trying to say is that we need a player to compliment Kuyt, not replace him.

There are games in the season where we need Kuyt's attributes, and there are a fair share of games where we need some more skill and nous on the wing.

Kuyt's great for playing say - the top 8 clubs. Someone like Silva would be better against the bottom clubs.

• Advertisement

I agree...Kuyt had a great season but he did play a number of games this season as a striker...don't get me wrong he did prove me wrong in certain aspects; however I do think we need a right winger that possesses a bit of pace and has the ability to beat players, which is what Kuyt lacks...as I said before maybe Arron Lennon.

For all his so called improvement this season, Lennon still has very poor end product. 4 goals and 4 assists this season i believe. Sure he's pacy, but so is/where Babel and Gonzalez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/8068228.stm

well we may find out about Barrys future soon...

For all his so called improvement this season, Lennon still has very poor end product. 4 goals and 4 assists this season i believe. Sure he's pacy, but so is/where Babel and Gonzalez

I just think he has got a lot of potential...he has had 26 starts & 9 subsitiute appearances this season with 5 goals and 4 assists...I know there is definately room for improvement, but your number of assists depends a lot on who is on the end of them. He would probably cost somewhere between £12 - £15 million, which is probably just about manageable given the rumours about how much we have to spend.

Presume you meant was ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

i'm finding myself somewhat agreeing with some people at last. this is what we need IMO - RB, CB, player who can play both RW & LW. 3 players. That's all. We don't need Barry cos we have Spearing. I can see him getting a lot more games next season.
    The new RB will either replace or be cover for Arbeloa.
    New CB as insurance against injuries and/or drop in form.
    New winger to replace Babel or for added depth and someone that can change the game if needed. I don't think Kuyt will be changed at all.

but villa wouldn't make sense as a signing. Silva would. That was my argument.

Johnson would be perfect i have to agree. Him and Insua bombing up the wings next season.

We will just have to disagree on silva, i just dont think he has the muscle for the prem, i could well be proved wrong but it appears he is going nowhere according to himself.

As for villa not making sense as a signing, well i feel rafa did want keane but not for the sum paid, possibly half of that. I think he may well feel that a player like one who plays keanes position is a place to be added in the squad. Id find it hard to believe parry signed keane and rafa did not express any interest in the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

PiE wrote: »

i would bet anything that he will be barca bound.

eto will leave in the summer, and villa takes his place.
    year after, henry leaves and kun aguero takes his

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Personally, I think the position of upmost importance this summer is RW. Need to get Kuyt away fron the right wing next season and put in someone with a bit of trickery, pace and ability to beat a man.

I don't think RW is the most important area we need to improve.

However it's the bit in bold that's most relevant. Assuming El Zhar continues to develop, does the bit in bold not sound exactly like him?

would this be the same Dirk Kuyt who, apart from Ronaldo, was probably the most effective RW in the league in terms of goals scored and created this season?

That's priceless, comparing Kuyt to Ronaldo.

Anyway, regardless of whatever pitcure you try to paint re Kuyt, the inescapable fact is that he's a player of limited technical ability and a liability on the right wing - particularly against opposition who park the bus in their own half.

Sure he's a grafter who'll excel in tight constrained games against Everton, Chelsea etc, but we need a top class player with guile and creativity on the right wing for the majority of games.

I don't think RW is the most important area we need to improve.

However it's the bit in bold that's most relevant. Assuming El Zhar continues to develop, does the bit in bold not sound exactly like him?

I for one do not rate El Zhar at all...I know he is young and has had limited opportunities but from what I have seen of him, I just don't rate him. Hope he proves me wrong but the phrase "running around like a headless chicken" always springs to mind when I see him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

barry and johnson definitely.

then if we manage to make some money from some deadwood, or we get money from any new investment (long shot, i know!), then we can look at silva.

seriously, barry is a complete and utter no-brainer for me.

the only thing i would have against signing johnson is if portsmouth make his transfer fee ridiculous.

silva, given the fact barry can cover LW and johnson RW if necessary, is not as paramount.

ribery is barca bound imo, unless something miraculous happens.

villa would be a waste of a lot of money, simply because he is not an automatic starter unless you want to drop stevie or nando.

this summer must not turn into an exercise in buying potential either. we must buy established quality.

• Advertisement

I for one do not rate El Zhar at all...I know he is young and has had limited opportunities but from what I have seen of him, I just don't rate him. Hope he proves me wrong but the phrase "running around like a headless chicken" always springs to mind when I see him :)

Im undecided on him myself, mainly due to the limited amount of playing time
    (339mins in all comps this season, not even 4 full games)

However he has appeared 18 times for us this season as well as being on the bench for a number of other games, and there was talk of him being offered an extension to his contract, so I think it's fair to say Rafa must see something in him.

Given Kuyt, Benayoun and El Zhar all seem pretty certain to be at the club next season, I would be very surprised if we brought anyone in for the right hand side.

On the left of Babel, Dossena and Riera, only Riera looks to be certain of staying, so I think we are much likelier to see a change there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Anyway, regardless of whatever pitcure you try to paint re Kuyt, the inescapable fact is that he's a player of limited technical ability and a liability on the right wing - particularly against opposition who park the bus in their own half.

Sure he's a grafter who'll excel in tight constrained games against Everton, Chelsea etc, but we need a top class player with guile and creativity on the right wing for the majority of games.

Kuyt is up there as the 2nd best RW according to the stats. You cannot deny that. He might not have neat little stepovers and a bag of flicks and tricks but he does contribute an important amount of goals.

Added to the fact he doesnt stand about pouting like a b1tch makes him comparable to Ronaldo for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

he sscore 12 league goals and had 7 assists.These are not the stats of a bad player who only plays well against poor teams.he is an excellent player that every team needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Just a recap on El Nino's 50 goals. Not a mad fan of the music but nice to see Nando in action.............again

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/2600795/

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/1st-team-2008-2009/79474-liverpool-3-spurs-1-prem-may-24-2009-a.html

Usually read this guy's take on things & worringly he's usually not far off the mark

`Coming out of Anfield on Sunday I just felt completely empty. If you’d offered me 86 points back in August when the season started, I’d have probably taken it. Forgive me for not doing cartwheels today though. Having just seen Sami Hyypia and (almost certainly) Xabi Alonso playing their last games for the club, I’m finding it hard to feel upbeat about anything right now. I’m just gutted.

It’s been a bizarre season, and I still don’t know if it should be classed as ‘successful’ or not. 86 points speaks for itself I suppose. Just two defeats in the league all season deserves a lot of credit, and for the first time in years we were involved in a title race. We did doubles over Chelsea and the mancs in the league, battered Real Madrid and were the top scorers in the country.

On the flipside, we’ve just completed a third successive trophyless season. We drew seven times at home, often to ****e teams, we were dumped out of the FA Cup by Everton, were outplayed at Anfield in the CL by Chelsea and humiliated by Spurs in the League Cup. We lost at Boro, failed to beat Stoke twice etc We spent £40m last summer, and by the final game of the season not a single summer recruit was deemed good enough to be in the side, and the biggest signing of the lot was actually lining up and scoring for the opposition.

So was it a successuful season? Not for me, although I won’t argue with anyone who feels it was as a case can be made either way. Personally though I just feel disappointed and can’t help think about what could, and should have been. It was good, but could so so easily have been better.

That’s not why I’m feeling so empty though. It’s the loss of two more of the Istanbul side that’s responsible for that. We’ve known it was coming for Sami, and this was always going to be his day. Xabi though? Well even now there are people who still think he will be here next season. I’d love to think so, but the odds on it happening look pretty remote based on everything I’ve been hearing, and you could tell by his reaction at the end as he took part in the lap of honour that he thinks he’s played his last game for the club.

I watched Xabi wave to the Kop, and then put his hand on his heart in a gesture of thanks, and that was it. Confirmation of what I knew but didn’t want to fully accept. I don’t mind admitting, between that and seeing Sami breaking down in tears, I was more than a little choked up and had to stop myself from blubbering like a relegated Geordie. “You’re not John Terry, get a ****ing grip” I told myself. I just about kept it together, but I’m still feeling pretty emotional even now, more than 24 hours later.

There’s an advert on the telly with the ‘Let it Snow’ tune. I usually happily sing along with it using the ‘midfield maestro’ lyrics, and I’ve even been trying to teach my two year old daughter to join in. It came on before, and that lump appeared in my throat again. I’m absolutely ****ing gutted it looks like it’s come to this. I love Xabi, he’s everything I look for in a Liverpool player, a real class act in every way. Like I say, I’m absolutely gutted right now, but it looks pretty nailed on that he’s going.

Then there’s Sami. Ten years fantastic service, and even this year when he’s played he’s been ****ing phenomenal. Like thousands of others,I turned up to Anfield yesterday looking forward to seeing the big man do his thing for one last time. I wasn’t expecting seven poxy ****ing minutes that’s for damn sure. Still, but for the Kop’s repeated (and increasingly irritated) demands for him to get on, it would have been even less. Benitez said afterwards he wanted to wait til the last minute to put him on. I should be surprised, but sadly I’m not. Last minute indeed. Jesus Christ.

As for the game, well it was a typical end of season, nothing to play for kind of game, despite the fact we needed a win to guarantee second and Spurs had a chance of qualifying for Europe. We were pretty flat, Spurs even more so. Some of the Tottenham players need to take a good look at themselves after this half arsed display. Modric, King and Keane looked up for it, and the left back who’s name escapes me put a lot of effort in. The rest weren’t arsed though, and they were the perfect opposition for us really, as we weren’t completely at it either.

Mascherano was full of running and played the game as though it was the title decider we hoped it might be. The same can be said of Kuyt, who only knows one way to play and that’s flat out. There’s been times this season when my patience with Dirk has ran a little thin. He gets a lot of stick, and some of it is justified, but when you look at what he’s contributed this season in terms of goals and assists from the right hand side (mostly), he deserves a lot of credit. Not many players in his position can boast similar numbers.

He added another assist in this game, with a pinpoint cross that was superbly headed in by the otherwise quiet Torres to put us in front. Dirk might want to claim the second one himself, but his shot looked like it was going wide before it struck Hutton and wrong footed Gomes. Can’t see the dubious goals panel finding in his favour on that one.

At 2-0 up the game looked over, and we were cruising. Spurs had offered nothing other than one break in the first half when Defoe got in behind but was denied by Pepe. It was alarming the way the striker got clear though, and the warning wasn’t heeded as in the second half Keane went through in similar circumstances. He looked offside, but replays showed he wasn’t, and he kept a cool head to beat Pepe and ensure the reds keeper didn’t win the golden glove award.

His reaction to the goal showed a lot of class. He just put his head down, and walked back to the centre circle. Apparently a minority of people had booed him. I didn’t hear it myself, but seriously, why the **** would anyone boo him? Just what goes through these people’s minds when they do **** like this? At full time he went over to every Liverpool player and gave them a hug, and had a chat with all of them. Not just his mates such as Carra and Stevie, but he even took time out to go over to N’Gog and had a little chat with him. He walked straight past Rafa though.

That goal put the cat amongst the pigeons, as suddenly we had a game on our hands again. More importantly, it made Sami’s chances of getting on early much slimmer. I think everyone in the ground was expecting him to get the last twenty minutes, and when N’Gog was brought on first there was an air of disbelief around me.

Keane’s goal came with 14 minutes to go, and despite the Kop constantly chanting for Sami’s introduction, Rafa remained unmoved. Then four minutes later Yossi made the game safe (another tidy finish from a player who - like Kuyt - has had a fine second half to the season), and that was surely going to mean Sami getting the call. But no, another three minutes passed until finally, with seven minutes to go he was sent on to a hero’s reception, fittingly replacing Steven Gerrard and reclaiming the armband that he had relinquished to him with such dignity all those years ago.

It was almost a fairytale ending too, as he rose to meet Aurelio’s corner and planted a header goalwards, but it was smuggled off the line by Gomes. When the final whistle went, and all the handshakes had been exchanged and the Spurs players had left the field, all eyes were on Sami.

Suddenly it was as though it all hit home with him, and he realised he’d never again be on this field as a Liverpool player. He put his shirt over his face, and then had his head in his hands. It was all too much for him, and even from where I was sat it was obvious he was in tears. I almost was too, I guess I didn’t think Sami would ever leave, but here he was, saying goodbye.

It seemed like a natural progression that he would just play for us until he retired and would then join the coaching staff. Maybe one day he will do, but he’ll be going to play in Germany first. Replacing Sami Hyypia is an impossible task. Players like that don’t come round very often. Sami joined the club in the same summer I started TLW. It’s going to be really weird not having him around next season.

So what of next season? Well obviously if we can cut out the stupid draws against ****e teams, there’s no reason why we can’t go one better and win it. But if we are to have any chance of doing it, Rafa is really going to have to seriously up his game in the transfer market.

The additions made last summer have barely helped us at all. Not one of them would be in our strongest XI, and that’s pretty damning when you consider £40m was spent. 12 months ago our squad included Crouch, Riise and Finnan. All three are better than the players who have replaced them in the squad. So we still need to adequately replace them, and now we’ll need to replace Hyypia and Alonso too.

And in addition to that, we still need to address the problem wide areas. Getting 86 points was a good achievement, but Rafa has got his work cut out to even match that next season, let alone surpass it. If Gerrard and Torres stay fit for most of the season, we’ve got a chance regardless of who we bring in, but it’s asking a lot especially given the problems Torres has had.

This summer is going to be massive, and Rafa simply has to get it right. We’re just about clinging to our perch, it’s up to Rafa to make sure we aren’t knocked off it completely

Interesting take. The way he's talking Alonso is on a plane to Madrid already. Worrying if this is the feeling from the KOP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just a recap on El Nino's 50 goals. Not a mad fan of the music but nice to see Nando in action.............again

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/2600795/

just...beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

does not compute!

Kuyt is technically a superb player. His first touch, control, passing over 5-25 yards, heading, running with the ball (it might not be stepovers and flare, but its protection and strength) and ability to find space are all superb.

He might lack creativity which is fair enough but to say he is technically limited is pretty wrong.

does not compute!

Kuyt is technically a superb player. His first touch, control, passing over 5-25 yards, heading, running with the ball (it might not be stepovers and flare, but its protection and strength) and ability to find space are all superb.

He might lack creativity which is fair enough but to say he is technically limited is pretty wrong.

I have to dis-agree with this. His first touch can be awful sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I have to dis-agree with this. His first touch can be awful sometimes

So was Zidanes, Berbatovs can be too sometimes.

Majority of the time he has it under control perfectly with his first touch.

I actually might have exaggerated his heading ability though.

• Advertisement

Stats, stats and more fookin stats. We all know kuyts qualities. What ardent said is correct apart from the "liability" bit. Dirk is not a liability. He is a grafter who works his arse off for the team, however he is not a prolific creator or a man who hurts the fullback by beating him with pace and sticking in a cross. He has his virtues which are admirable also. There have been occasions where he has been fookin brutal this season and was never taken off. At stoke in the second half he touched the ball 5 times, the following game versus everton he didnt put one ball in the box in 90 mins. He was desparate at fulham and came off after 80mins, babel came on and had a hand in the goal and in the match thread on this forum there was barely a mention of how brutal he was that day, there was just more moaning for babel and lucas until benny put us in raptures and all was forgotten.

If you want stats, heres a stat, how many league goals did dirk score in the 11 months before the game at man city?........a clue, pennant had a better record in the league, infact, anyone who scored one goal had a better record.

Dirk has had a good season for him. It could be argued that he scored a good few when the team as a whole were in great form. I like the guy, he has definitely earned the right to be a starter in this current team. However it needs to be said that there are flaws in his footballing ability and we need players who can unlock the doors in a blink of an eye when teams park the bus. All the running, harrassing etc is great but,.......sometimes we need more than that, we need a riera on the right so to speak, a player that will hug the touchline for most of the games at home and hurt the full back. Too many times you can find dirk in the centre circle, hes naturally inclined to move central, when he does this it stifles options and slows down play at home. I congratulate him on a good season but the fact remains that we could use another right sided player in the squad......valencia at wigan, just to throw an example out there. Please bare in mind im not criticising kuyts play, its merely an observation on where the squad can improve.

We would be up the creek for options if arbeloa and/or kuyt got injured for any length of time, therefore, imo, the right side needs to be strengthened. The likes of el zhar cannot be relied upon to fill in just yet imo.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/1st-team-2008-2009/79474-liverpool-3-spurs-1-prem-may-24-2009-a.html

The additions made last summer have barely helped us at all. Not one of them would be in our strongest XI, and that’s pretty damning when you consider £40m was spent. 12 months ago our squad included Crouch, Riise and Finnan. All three are better than the players who have replaced them in the squad. So we still need to adequately replace them, and now we’ll need to replace Hyypia and Alonso too.

Well he seems to suggest that getting rid of Crouch, Riise and Finnan was a mistake, which is clearly wrong. Ok the "replacements" mightn't havent worked out, but I think it's hard to argue that getting rid of these players
    was a mistake in itself.

P G A
    Crouch - £11m - 49 16 5
    Riise - £4m - 39 2 2
    Finnan - £1.5m - 4 0 0

Crouch - refused to sign a contract and wasn't happy being a bit part player. He has done ok this season, but it's hard to argue we missed him. Got a good price for him.

Riise - £4m - been an ever present in a poor Roma defence - 4th worst defence in Serie A 2 goals and 2 assists is nothing to get excited about. Looking back £4m seems a good price given his contract situation.

Finnan £1.5m - has played 4 games for Espanyol this season. very doubtful he would have featured this season. £1.5m looks a great bit of business.

Hard to take much else of what he says seriously.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

And what were the replacements?
    Keane and Ngog up top? 10 goals or so between them over the season and 15m recouped for Keane.
    Dossena who hasn't quite adjusted to the pace of the league yet has definately shown that he has the potential to be a decent option on the left in game were the shackles are off somewhat,
    Degen Free - played about the same amount of game as Finnan this season to be honest,
    Pennant out with Riera in, I don't think anyone will argue the winner there.

And about Hyypia leaving he is the best player probably a the club since I've been a fan bar Barnes and Fowler maybe - but jesus Shanks, Paisely et al. all new when someone was surplus to requirements - if wanted to continue playing he had to leave - and while right now this very moment it's hard to say Skrtel and Agger are solid together it can't be denied that they have a very very promising future ahead.

Xabi, if he wants to leave then so be it - he's a touch of class that will be hard to replace, but on the other hand you have to consider what the like of Wesley Sneijder would do to Stoke - he'd make **** of them is what he would do - so there's just simply no point in only looking at the negatives which is what was done in that highly opinionated article.

Well he seems to suggest that getting rid of Crouch, Riise and Finnan was a mistake, which is clearly wrong. Ok the "replacements" mightn't havent worked out, but I think it's hard to argue that getting rid of these players
    was a mistake in itself.

P G A
    Crouch - £11m - 49 16 5
    Riise - £4m - 39 2 2
    Finnan - £1.5m - 4 0 0

Crouch - refused to sign a contract and wasn't happy being a bit part player. He has done ok this season, but it's hard to argue we missed him. Got a good price for him.

Riise - £4m - been an ever present in a poor Roma defence - 4th worst defence in Serie A 2 goals and 2 assists is nothing to get excited about. Looking back £4m seems a good price given his contract situation.

Finnan £1.5m - has played 4 games for Espanyol this season. very doubtful he would have featured this season. £1.5m looks a great bit of business.

Hard to take much else of what he says seriously.

I agree with you but lets just look at it another way for a sec.

Crouch got 5 games in 9 months and iirc was never injured, i dont blame the guy for wanting to play football and try to keep his place in the england squad. Replaced by keane, didnt work out.

Riise had a bad last season with us but in fairness, alonso wasnt exactly great either and nearly got shipped aswell. His replacement in dossena has been largely brutal apart from the 2 goals.

Finnans replacement in degen, well what can you say about degen?.....finnans played 4 more games than him.

Its a bit of an eye opener when you think 28 mil was spent on the 3 that came in.

daithijjj wrote: »
    Finnans replacement in degen, well what can you say about degen?.....finnans played 4 more games than him.

so that would of been a spend of 375,000 for every Finnan appearance if we kept him?

mayordenis wrote: »
    so that would of been a spend of 375,000 for every Finnan appearance if we kept him?

I would have paid it to not see skyrtel get a roasting at right back at boro.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

kuyts second touch is nearly always a tackle

Jazzy wrote: »
    kuyts second touch is nearly always a tackle

that was sissoko - and you're totally wrong and not funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What was the net spend last summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Lerner has said that he is hopeful of keeping Barry. Ideally Liverpool would add Barry to the squad to compliment Alonso not replace him.

Barry, Glen Johnson(with Pompey having 7m outstanding from Crouch its got to be a possibilty) and hopefully a world class attacking player to compliment Gerrard and Torres Liverpool would be in good shape. I think centre half cover and a back up striker would come next on the list. Ideally Kelly would operate as 4th choce centre half but an experienced Striker is a must

PHB wrote: »
    What was the net spend last summer?

well from memory (so patchy)

in
    Degen - free
    N'gog - 1.5m
    Dossena - 6.5m
    Riera - 7m
    Keane - 20m

out
    Crouch - 11m
    Risse - 4m
    Finnan - 1.5m

something like 18.5m net spend - 15+ of which was recouped in january? just from my own memory though so could be way off.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement