Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

PHB wrote: »
    What was the net spend last summer?

Crouch £11m
    Kewell 0
    Riise £4m
    Le Tallec £1.1m
    Guthrie £2.5m
    Finnan £1.5m
    Sales £20.1m

Keane £19m
    Cavalieri £3m
    Dossena £6m
    Riera £8m
    N'Gog £1.5m
    Degen 0
    Purchase £37.5m

Net Spend £17.4m

Also at least £16m recouped from Keane, so if you include that it's down to
    a net spend of £1.4m or thereabouts.

From a spreadsheet so I wins :)
    Prices taken from Liverpool Daily Post, BBC, Guardian, Independent, Times, and Mirror

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

And 10 points better of than last season, Rafa is transfer market genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Crouch £11m
    Kewell 0
    Riise £4m
    Le Tallec £1.1m
    Guthrie £2.5m
    Finnan £1.5m
    Sales £20.1m

Keane £19m
    Cavalieri £3m
    Dossena £6m
    Riera £8m
    N'Gog £1.5m
    Degen 0
    Purchase £37.5m

Net Spend £17.4m

Prices taken from Liverpool Daily Post, BBC, Guardian, Independent, Times, and Mirror

For a second I was thinking 'Who the hell is this Sales lad'?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

mike65 wrote: »
    And 10 points better of than last season, Rafa is transfer market genius!
    That's what - £170,000 per point gained? Just need to give him £850k over the summer and we'll make up the extra 5pts no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Would i be pedantic if i said kewell leaving saved us 2.5mil in wages so the club made a profit?

The yanks really havent put a fookin penny into the club in a while have they!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

daithijjj wrote: »
    Would i be pedantic if..

Aye offloading kewell free'd up a mjor earner spot for us - which could be important this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

You’ve got to imagine Rafa said to the board when negotiating his contract: “listen lads I only spent £5m of your cash last season. £17.5 m per season is my average, so £30m minimum plus sales next summer, ok?”
    If that were the case we could probably afford Silva, Johnson and Barry as well as keeping Alonso.

Both Kewell and Baros joined Galatasary last summer.

Kewell has scored 12 goals in 35 games for Galatasary.

Baros has scored 26 goals in 41 games for Galatasary.

Kewell apparently played centre-back for 40 mins in one game after a sending-off and performed adequately :eek:

Kewell did have to have surgery at one point in the season. ;)

Galatasaray fans and media affectionately refer to him as "Harry Potter", and occasionally as the "Wizard of Oz". :eek::confused::eek:

Also some rather bizaare footage of Galatasaray fans singing Harry Kewell to the tune of Daddy Cool

Bizarre :confused:

For a second I was thinking 'Who the hell is this Sales lad'?:pac:

Don't you remember his dad, John?

That Scales family have skills in their blood :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Don't you remember his dad, John?

That Scales family have skills in their blood :p

I think John Scales was the original sicknote, a crown he passed on to Darren Anderton while at Spurs;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

There is not a chance in hell Rafa will bring in someone to replace Kuyt. Fact

thegen wrote: »
    I think John Scales was the original sicknote, a crown he passed on to Darren Anderton while at Spurs;)

Was kinda confused by this as I had no memory of huim missing much time at Liverpool so I checked the stats.

He played

65 League Games
    14 FA Cup Games
    10 League Cups
    5 Other

94 appearances in not even two and a half seasons is pretty decent going.

It was only when he moved to Spurs that things fell apart - Only made 37 appearances for Spurs in three and a half seasons there. :(

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=7059

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Also some rather bizaare footage of Galatasaray fans singing Harry Kewell to the tune of Daddy Cool

Whats odd? Daddy Cool - Harry Kewell :)

mike65 wrote: »
    Whats odd? Daddy Cool - Harry Kewell :)

No I get that - it's just the fans don't seem that enthusiastic about the whole thing - got a certain weird oddly dispassionate zombie feel to it.

Might also be the weird-ass zooming in and out camerawork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Fromvert wrote: »
    There is not a chance in hell Rafa will bring in someone to replace Kuyt. Fact

rarely has a truer word been spoken here.

he is central to the way the team plays, like it or not.

and given how he's played this season, especially during the run-in, i suggest we like it.

our problem, as far as i see it, is the wing backs in the tight games, and that's what makes us, more than anything, become too narrow.

and the other problem is top quality cover in central midfield, along with cover in the wide positions, all of which barry would abundantly provide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The monster masch wants Alonso to stay:
    Liverpool need Alonso, pleads Mascherano

By Paul Walker, PA

Tuesday, 26 May 2009

Javier Mascherano has urged Liverpool to do all they can to keep the "influential" Xabi Alonso.

As Reds boss Rafael Benitez ponders the future of fringe players such as Sebastian Leto and Andriy Voronin, it is the destiny of Alonso that will concern supporters with the prospect of a bid from Real Madrid.

Benitez needs to sell squad players to raise money for his summer transfer targets - rumoured to include Carlos Tevez, Gareth Barry and David Silva - having been promised only £20m from the club's American owners.

The manager - who held a meeting last week with Alonso's agent - has insisted he does not want sell the Spaniard.

Mascherano said: "Xabi is so influential. Hopefully the great players at Liverpool can stay and we can bring another player in to improve the team.

"It is important when you have the team in good form you keep the key players, and Xabi is one of them.

"For sure Rafa will work really hard to improve the squad and maybe next season we will be stronger.

"If we can keep this squad and improve it, things will be really good for the future. We will be fighting in all the competitions, not just league."

Benitez insists that he will again try to solve the work permit problem for Argentina-born winger Leto, who has spent the last season on loan to Greek club Olympiacos.

Ukraine striker Voronin was hoping that Hertha Berlin would make his season-long deal there permanent, but the German side's failure to reach the Champions League means they will not be taking up the option and he will be returning to Anfield.

He is now expected to be put up for sale with a £6m price tag.

The situation with Leto is more complicated by the work permit issue, but Benitez said: "We will try to work something out, I do not want him to go."

Leto has impressed in Greece and played over 30 games for Olympiacos, despite having disciplinary problems with coach Ernesto Valverde, who has now left the club.

Benitez could now sell Leto, or send him out on loan again - although that is now unlikely with the 22-year-old wanting his future cleared up permanently.

He signed for Liverpool in August 2007 and figured in pre-season friendlies and early qualifying rounds for the Champions League, but could not make his Premier League debut because of the passport and work permit problems.

The reasons for refusing the permit were his lack of international and club experience.

Benitez was critical of that decision, and hopes that a season in the Greek league and selection for the Olympics will change the situation.

If not Leto will also be sold this summer, with a £3m fee now likely.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-need-alonso-pleads-mascherano-1690944.html

Who does Rafa plan on buying if he does sell him? Or if Alonso decides to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-need-alonso-pleads-mascherano-1690944.html

Who does Rafa plan on buying if he does sell him? Or if Alonso decides to leave.

he's not going anywhere.

i honestly believe that, and haven't seen anything concrete enough to suggest i should be believing otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

I can't see him leaving. If he does it will be a huge step backwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

All I know is I'm scared.

I just want to go to a nice sunny island with no broadband, tv, radio or print media for the summer and come back to see Xabi starting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Was kinda confused by this as I had no memory of huim missing much time at Liverpool so I checked the stats.

He played

65 League Games
    14 FA Cup Games
    10 League Cups
    5 Other

94 appearances in not even two and a half seasons is pretty decent going.

It was only when he moved to Spurs that things fell apart - Only made 37 appearances for Spurs in three and a half seasons there. :(

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=7059

Sorry about that. Not being a pool fan I had vague recollections of him being injured a lot. Obviously at Spurs.

If we got £6m for Voronin and £3m for Leto, that would be absolute great return. Can't see it happening though. I think £4m and £2m are probably the best we can hope for in both cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

If we got £6m for Voronin

if we can loan voronin out for the remainder of his contract and not have to pay his wages again, we'll have done well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

el rabitos wrote: »
    if we can loan voronin out for the remainder of his contract and not have to pay his wages again, we'll have done well.

sorry man but that's totaly nonsense - I reckon we'll get 4 million for him during the summer either that or if he does stay with us, he'll actually silence some critics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

mayordenis wrote: »
    sorry man but that's totaly nonsense - I reckon we'll get 4 million for him during the summer either that or if he does stay with us, he'll actually silence some critics.

4 million? 6 million? not for me. i see him loaned on again or moving on for an "undisclosed fee"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

SlickRic wrote: »
    yes it is, it's a metaphor.

putting the pieces together to create a full picture of a squad that is even more capable of winning things next season.

it's a perfectly apt use of the word.

It is perfectly cromulent.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

The-Rigger wrote: »
    cromulent.

i really have to start using that word more :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

No way is that bizare, that's cool man. :cool:

Not looking good for Babel, on the basis of this article from the Liverpool Daily Post.

If Ajax are interested, a deal possibly involving Suarez has to be considered.
    RYAN BABEL could become the first high-profile casualty of Rafael Benitez’s summer shake-up after being told he can leave Liverpool.

Babel’s agent Winnie Haatrecht met with the Anfield manager to discuss the player having a more prominent first-team role next season.

Benitez, though, was unable to offer such guarantees and has informed the Holland international he may now speak to other clubs during the transfer window.

That is likely to spark a chase for Babel, who became the third-most expensive player in Liverpool’s history when arriving for £11.5million from Ajax in July 2007.

Liverpool will want to recoup of much as that fee as possible, with Babel likely to command a price tag of around £8m.

Ajax, who yesterday appointed Martin Jol as new coach to succeed Marco van Basten, are thought eager to re-sign Babel but could be put off by the asking price and the player’s wages.

Babel is also certain to attract interest from Italy and Spain, with Benitez open to the possibility of using the 22-year-old as a makeweight to facilitate a possible big-money transfer.

Tottenham Hotspur, Aston Villa and Arsenal have all been linked with a summer move for Babel and could make any interest formal.

Babel has scored 14 goals in 91 appearances for Liverpool. However, only 42 have been in a starting role – a mere six coming this calendar year – with the Dutchman having completed the full 90 minutes on just 15 occasions.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/05/27/liverpool-fc-latest-ryan-babel-told-he-can-leave-anfield-92534-23720819/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Crouch £11m
    Kewell 0
    Riise £4m
    Le Tallec £1.1m
    Guthrie £2.5m
    Finnan £1.5m
    Sales £20.1m

Keane £19m
    Cavalieri £3m
    Dossena £6m
    Riera £8m
    N'Gog £1.5m
    Degen 0
    Purchase £37.5m

Net Spend £17.4m

ovo not what phb wanted to hear? not a peep since :D

Rafa interview with Tony Barrett in the Echo.

Not earth-shattering but the good news is that work is starting immediately (as opposed to Parry fecking off on holidays for 2/3 weeks holding every thing up).
    “We have some targets but right now it is too soon because some clubs do not know what the future holds for them but we will wait and see.

Must be talking about teams getting into the CL I suppose.
    Gareth Barry remains Benitez’s major target and with Aston Villa boss Martin O’Neill admitting he will not stand in the England man’s way should a top four club make an acceptable offer for him Liverpool’s move for the 28-year-old is likely to come sooner rather than later.

O’Neill is reported to be ready to offer Barry a lucrative new deal in a bid to keep his captain at Villa Park but with the midfielder keen to play Champions League football such overtures are likely to fall on deaf ears.

Barry Transfer Saga: The Sequel on the cards? With Lehrer saying they might consider running down Barry's contract as opposed to selling him, it could get interesting. I know some disagree about whether it's a possibility but I can't help wondering if Barry might threaten to leave on a Webster if Villa don't agree to sell him.
    “Hopefully the great players in Liverpool can stay and we can bring in other players to improve the team,” he said.

“It’s important when you have the team in good form to keep the key players and Xabi is one of them.”

The Xabi bit isn't the resounding f**k off to Real I'd like to see, which is a bit worrying.
    RAFA BENITEZ wants Liverpool’s summer transfer activity to be done and dusted by the time pre-season gets under way.

The Reds boss is keen to conclude his business at the earliest possible opportunity in what is expected to be another busy summer at Anfield.

Benitez will need to supplement his existing transfer budget with the proceeds from player sales and he is looking to start work on overhauling his squad immediately.

But he concedes it won’t be easy to make improvements to what he regards as a high quality squad.

“Clearly we want to sign players but we know that it will be difficult to find players who are better than what we already have,” said Benitez.

“It is not easy to find this kind of player in the current market and if we do then maybe they will be too expensive or not available.

“But we have to sign the right players and make the right decisions during the summer.

“We have some targets but right now it is too soon because some clubs do not know what the future holds for them but we will wait and see.

“But our idea is to have players signed before pre-season begins because this would be perfect.

“It means you can start working with them and training with them with the ideas that you want to get across to them so that they can start putting them into practice on the pitch.”

Gareth Barry remains Benitez’s major target and with Aston Villa boss Martin O’Neill admitting he will not stand in the England man’s way should a top four club make an acceptable offer for him Liverpool’s move for the 28-year-old is likely to come sooner rather than later.

O’Neill is reported to be ready to offer Barry a lucrative new deal in a bid to keep his captain at Villa Park but with the midfielder keen to play Champions League football such overtures are likely to fall on deaf ears.

Meanwhile, the likelihood of Real Madrid making an offer for Xabi Alonso has increased after one of Florentino Perez’s main rivals to become president of the Spanish giants pulled out of the race.

Perez has made little secret of his desire to sign Alonso should he become president and Liverpool are now braced for a bid from Real.

Javier Mascherano is hoping his midfield partner will not be sold no matter how much Real offer, arguing Alonso is a key member of the team.

“Hopefully the great players in Liverpool can stay and we can bring in other players to improve the team,” he said.

“It’s important when you have the team in good form to keep the key players and Xabi is one of them.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/05/26/rafa-benitez-time-to-act-fast-on-liverpool-fc-squad-100252-23712210/2/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Does anyone honestly think you would get anywhere near 8 mill for Ryan Babel? The man has been played out of position and only seen very limited action since joining Liverpool. He hasn't looked good either.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Does anyone honestly think you would get anywhere near 8 mill for Ryan Babel? The man has been played out of position and only seen very limited action since joining Liverpool. He hasn't looked good either.

Agreed. I'd be happy with 8m. Had high hopes for Babel but unfortunately it never worked out. Nice goal against Man U though. He saw the angles, kicked it into the ground 'knowing' that with the right force would put it out of reach of VDS. Such vision will always be admired.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Barry Transfer Saga: The Sequel on the cards? With Lehrer saying they might consider running down Barry's contract as opposed to selling him, it could get interesting. I know some disagree about whether it's a possibility but I can't help wondering if Barry might threaten to leave on a Webster if Villa don't agree to sell him.

I didn't take from Lerner's quotes that they would force Barry to run down his contract even if he wanted away, but that if Barry was open to giving them another year they would take it even if it meant they knew at the end of it they would get no transfer fee from him (i.e. He could stay at Villa without having to sign the new contract that is on the table if he doesn't want to).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,789 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nice goal against Man U though. He saw the angles, kicked it into the ground 'knowing' that with the right force would put it out of reach of VDS. Such vision will always be admired.

lolz

No, we'll get £8m* I'm fairly sure. Wouldn't surprise me to see us get more tbh. He's still got bags of potential and his pace would see him do very well in Italy and probably Spain, nevermind back in Holland. Contrary to popular belief, he hasn't really been played out of position - he played on the left of an attacking 3 at Ajax - he's just been asked to do more running & defensive work at Liverpool. Something he's seemingly not very keen on.

* Not in one lump sum :/

spockety wrote: »
    I didn't take from Lerner's quotes that they would force Barry to run down his contract even if he wanted away, but that if Barry was open to giving them another year they would take it even if it meant they knew at the end of it they would get no transfer fee from him (i.e. He could stay at Villa without having to sign the new contract that is on the table if he doesn't want to).

Your interpretation is probably more correct/exact - force was probably the wrong word.

This Webster ruling is not as clear cut as people think. There has been a lot of speculation that it could well be challenged and beaten at some stage.

Fifa don't like and the clubs don't like it either. I don't see Barry using that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

This Webster ruling is not as clear cut as people think. There has been a lot of speculation that it could well be challenged and beaten at some stage.

Fifa don't like and the clubs don't like it either. I don't see Barry using that.

I don't Barry will use it as I believe Villa are willing to let him go this summer if he wants. He seems to have three options.

A) Sign a new contract and stay
    B) Stay for one more year and leave on a free
    C) Ask for a move.

There's a separate thread on the Webster ruling and Barry it if you want to discuss it more but just because FIFA and the clubs don't like it doesn't mean it isn't a fact of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Babels confidence is very low, its hardly surprising. 15 full games in 2 years and those were sporadic. I believe he will become a great player elsewhere, i think benitez signed him hoping he could turn a talent into one that would track back and do a bit of donkey work for the team.

I was hoping benitez might give him a decent run in the team (not 10 mins a fortnight) so he could get match fit firstly, and then hopefully get some coherence in his play with the team. His touch, fitness etc have suffered. He was desperate to play games and offered to go on loan to ajax for the previous 5 months but the gaffer declined. If anything i think this would have been a good move for all parties, at the very least, he would be in the shop window and who knows he could have regained some lost confidence.

To a manager with a different philosophy i believe babel would be a great asset, he still has 4/5 years to reach his peak. Sometimes it just doesnt work out and you just have to leave a club. Forlan at united, henry at juve just to name two.

There have been times when i just scratch my head at benitez substitutions also. I saw the game at villa this season when torres got injured early, keane on his own up there and when keane came off ngog came on. We didnt have one shot on target in 90 mins and poor ngog, god love him, was like a rabbit in headlights when he came on. Meanwhile you have a player that the boss spent 11mil on sprinting around like a hare with the subs in a warm down. This isnt an issue i have per se but when rafa chose babel to play at chelsea for the last 20 mins on his own he did very well imo, caused them a good few problems and then he never got a run in the league for 3/4 weeks at least.

I think rafa could have afforded him the luxury that he has extended lucas, ie, play 4/5 on the trot (2 or 3 woefull performances in there from lucas) and eventually lucas started to improve.

I think there are plenty of managers that would line up for babel at 8 mil.

• Advertisement

Just wondering - given Juventus signed Diego, surely that must increase the odds on us signing Silva. Along with Liverpool, Barcelona and Real they were appparently one of the clubs with a serious genuine interest according to the reports I saw.

I know that Diego and Silva aren't exactly the same but they are both left-sided attacking players. There's also the fact that Diego cost in the region of €25m. Does anyone know if Juventus would have the funds to sign another player that looks like he will go for at an utter minimum €15m and most likely more?

Could you realistically play them in the same team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Selling Babel is madness. Not a great season but a great player.

shane86 wrote: »
    Selling Babel is madness. Not a great season but a great player.

He's not a great player. Potential maybe but from what I've seen, not a great player now by any means.

Just wondering - given Juventus signed Diego, surely that must increase the odds on us signing Silva. Along with Liverpool, Barcelona and Real they were appparently one of the clubs with a serious genuine interest according to the reports I saw.

I know that Diego and Silva aren't exactly the same but they are both left-sided attacking players. There's also the fact that Diego cost in the region of €25m. Does anyone know if Juventus would have the funds to sign another player that looks like he will go for at an utter minimum €15m and most likely more?

Could you realistically play them in the same team?
    I said in this thread months ago that Silva would be perfect for Liverpool. He is not just a left sided player, he can also play the withdrawn striker role, he can play as the main striker and he can play on the right as well, and he is class wherever he plays. I think he will be expensive but he really seems like a perfect fit for Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

I sincerely hope Liverpool don't sell Alonso - a lot of talk on him going - again. As for Babel - he did alright but he has too leave to make way for whoever is coming in. Another striker and attacking midfielder and we'll have the title next year. Come on Barca!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

daithijjj wrote: »
    Babels confidence is very low, its hardly surprising. 15 full games in 2 years and those were sporadic. I believe he will become a great player elsewhere, i think benitez signed him hoping he could turn a talent into one that would track back and do a bit of donkey work for the team.

Ah yes, Rafa's urge to destroy his own players rears its head again. He also yearns to block out the sun I believe.

Look, Babel got plenty of chances to impress and squandered pretty much every one of them. I wanted him to do well and initially told myself each time he played like a bored schoolboy that he would come good. Then he did it again. And again ... The idea that Rafa should keep playing Babel (or anyone else) in the belief that he will eventually at some point bother himself to turn in a half-decent performance is not only barkingly illogical but seems to assume that Rafa is running some sort of charity show-case as opposed to a team attempting to win things.

Oh and to compare him to Lucas is an insult to Lucas, who has shown enthusiasm, fight and character this season. Spot the difference?

shotamoose wrote: »
    Ah yes, Rafa's urge to destroy his own players rears its head again. He also yearns to block out the sun I believe.

Look, Babel got plenty of chances to impress and squandered pretty much every one of them. I wanted him to do well and initially told myself each time he played like a bored schoolboy that he would come good. Then he did it again. And again ... The idea that Rafa should keep playing Babel (or anyone else) in the belief that he will eventually at some point bother himself to turn in a half-decent performance is not only barkingly illogical but seems to assume that Rafa is running some sort of charity show-case as opposed to a team attempting to win things.

Oh and to compare him to Lucas is an insult to Lucas, who has shown enthusiasm, fight and character this season. Spot the difference?
    What a ridiculous load of garbage. Its very clear that Rafa bought Babel to do a job different to what he was doing before he got there.
    Nobody is blaming Benitez for it not working out, its just been pointed out that the guy has class and it just hasn't been shown at Liverpool but in a different side with more room to play Babel is very likely to thrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

What a ridiculous load of garbage. Its very clear that Rafa bought Babel to do a job different to what he was doing before he got there.

what was that now? he was playing as a left wing forward at Ajax, at Liverpool he was a left wing forward with more defensive duties. i would love Babel to work out and i have been defending him for two years but he has to be the slowest mover of the ball in our squad and that is what counts against him in Rafas mind.

watch how quickly everyone passes the ball and watch what happens when it goes to Babel, he takes a touch or two to settle on the ball, then considers beating a player, then doesnt do it and passes it off and makes a run. it slows down what are generally fast breaks.

he has so much potential but it hasnt come through, i would have liked to see him in the striker role more, i always saw him as more an Henry style player.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

I feel it is a very tricky one with regards to Babel, as is demonstrated with the various views on this forum. I first saw him when he played for Holland in the U 21 European Championship a few years back; however he was mainly deployed as an out and out striker and did extremely well. I do agree that he has been played out of position for the majority of his time at Liverpool; however his atitude for me is not right. Just look at Kuyt who has been played out of position so to speak and he just gets on with it...actually he does more than get on with it...top class work rate and Babel could do with taking a leaf out of his book. Babel's best position for ma will be as a striker; and I'm not sure why he wasn't used from the bench in this position more often...especially when Torres was injured.

In saying all that, I think there is no denying that Babel has got talent and I believe he will be a success at whatever club he joins, providing he gets a run in the team. Yes, I do say 'when he joins' as I'm pretty sure Rafa is going to sell him. Will be get £8 million....I doubt it...I think more like £6 million, which will go along way towards a back-up striker for Torres...someone with a bit of experience and who is proven in the premiership if you ask me. Personally I feel we should try and get someone like Tuncay, who may be happy with a bit-part role at a club like Liverpool.

• Advertisement

What a ridiculous load of garbage.
    You really need to stop throwing around statements like that. People in glass houses etc etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement