Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    1234182052.img.jpg

bitch

I assume that's not recent, cause if that's her seven months pregnant.....!

K-9 wrote: »
    I don't believe the Tevez rumours, if they are true though, I think Alonso will be gone!

I do believe that there may be something in the Tevez rumours.

-The money could be found.
    -He's the kind of player Rafa likes.
    -No matter how small, it would be a psychological advantage over UTD next sesaon.
    -Masch, who's great friends with Tevez, has now twice come out in the media talking about it.
    If there was nothing to it, I'd imagine Rafa would have told him to be quiet.
    -And Tevez is open to the idea, telling UTD fans that he's greatful to them, but that he has to think of his family, and how his family are settled in England.

I think it's more likely that we'll see him in a sky blue shirt, but there's a chance he'll be wearing all red.

A lot of people were saying the Keane and Torres transfers were all media speculation at first aswell afterall.

Then again, this could all be one of Rafa's infamous smokescreens.

I still don't think he knows what kind of money he'll have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Just wanted to come in and congratulate all the fans on the victory last night. Best team won and I dont think its disputable. Congrats again Barce enjoy a successful and fully deserved season.

If it makes you feel any better I did wear out my barca jersey lat night so thanks. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I do believe that there may be something in the Tevez rumours.

-The money could be found.
    -He's the kind of player Rafa likes.
    -No matter how small, it would be a psychological advantage over UTD next sesaon.
    -Masch, who's great friends with Tevez, has now twice come out in the media talking about it.
    If there was nothing to it, I'd imagine Rafa would have told him to be quiet.
    -And Tevez is open to the idea, telling UTD fans that he's greatful to them, but that he has to think of his family, and how his family are settled in England.

I think it's more likely that we'll see him in a sky blue shirt, but there's a chance he'll be wearing all red.

A lot of people were saying the Keane and Torres transfers were all media speculation at first aswell afterall.

I still don't think he knows what kind of money he'll have.

I agree with the above, but I think if it happens, it makes Alonso leaving far more likely. We'd probably need the money if we wanted another couple of signings.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

If Tevez does arrive at Anfield i think this could really hurt Utd. Just the impact of this type of player coming to LFC and possibly helping left No# 19 would unsettle the Utd failthful. Would love to see the fans reaction in Old Trafford should he sign... Ouch!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I do think that Tevez could go to Anfield, but if he does, I honestly will believe it's a stupid move from Rafa and not understand whatsoever.

First off, and I'll stand by this even if United buy him, he's just not worth 25.5 million.
    Secondly, he isn't really what Liverpool need. He can play the Torres role if he absolutely has to, but he's not amazing at it. His best role is where Gerrard is. He is ok/as good as Kuyt playing on the wing. Unless Rafa plans to switch Gerrard to the right, I don't really understand the move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Remember when Tevez left West Ham, Masch had a good few interviews (onw with LFC.tv iirc) saying how he would love Tevez to come to Liverpool - still didnt happen...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

any of you know anything about this Daniel Pranjic guy talking himself up about a move to Pool?

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5353035,00.html

Looks very ordinary with a bit of speed from the vids on youtube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,789 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

dardoz wrote: »
    any of you know anything about this Daniel Pranjic guy talking himself up about a move to Pool?

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5353035,00.html

Saw the interview last night on SSN, came in half way, he said his dream is to play for Liverpool football club, and that would be the pinnacle of his career, etc.

Then in an instant said he would hate to play in England because of the weather and his dream move would be Spain.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

god bless footballers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well its been clear that relocating Liverpool fc to Spain has been the obvious move for some time now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

Juve after Dosser according to this
    Juventus Pushing For Liverpool Stopper Andrea Dossena – Report

Juventus are pushing ahead with plans to strengthen their defence and they are looking at Liverpool's Andrea Dossena for the left flank, according to Il Corriere Dello Sport.

The report suggests directors at Vinovo have highlighted the Italian international as their next priority. Dossena has not enjoyed the best of seasons at Anfield after moving there from Udinese last year. His appearances have been limited under Rafael Benitez, leading to speculation that his future there is in doubt.

Juve are monitoring the situation carefully as they plan to strengthen their back line further. Having already signed Fabio Cannavaro, Juve would like to add some muscle on the left. Paolo De Ceglie's lack of experience and Cristian Molinaro's inconsistency has led to a decision being made in Turin that a hardened, more experienced stopper is needed.

If the Old Lady fail to land Dossena, they have Lyon's Fabio Grosso and Lazio's Aleksandar Kolarov in mind. The latter two could be hard to sign. Grosso has claimed he is happy in France, while the Aquilotti are likely to play hard ball over Kolarov.

what happened to Chiellini?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

what happened to Chiellini?

He's more a CB these days

K-9 wrote: »
    I agree with the above, but I think if it happens, it makes Alonso leaving far more likely. We'd probably need the money if we wanted another couple of signings.

To be honest K-9, I can't see both Lucas and Alonso at Liverpool next season.
    One will be gone, IMO.
    If Tevez does come, then I agree and Alonso is the more likely loss.:(
    Remember when Tevez left West Ham, Masch had a good few interviews (onw with LFC.tv iirc) saying how he would love Tevez to come to Liverpool - still didnt happen...

Yes, but what striker did we buy instead?!

;)

• Advertisement

Alonso---Mascherano

Gerrard
    Kuyt
    Torres
    Tevez

I know PHB wont be a fan as it doesnt have width per say. But i think that line up would scare the ****e out of opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote: »
    I do think that Tevez could go to Anfield, but if he does, I honestly will believe it's a stupid move from Rafa and not understand whatsoever.

First off, and I'll stand by this even if United buy him, he's just not worth 25.5 million.
    Secondly, he isn't really what Liverpool need. He can play the Torres role if he absolutely has to, but he's not amazing at it. His best role is where Gerrard is. He is ok/as good as Kuyt playing on the wing. Unless Rafa plans to switch Gerrard to the right, I don't really understand the move.

I agree with this. Dont get me wrong, Tevez is a quality player and would be a good addition to any squad. But what we need right now is a top quality attacker that can play alongside Masch, Alonso, Gerrard and Torres. To do this, we would either have to stick Tevez on the wing or shift Gerrard from his central position. Neither of which fill be with excitement.

lads Tevez is maness, 90% of people here have been saying since last season we need more width. when teams park the bus its width that will help us and not jamming more players into an already congested middle, like el zhar did for us at the start of the season.

we need an out and out winger this summer, Tevez is a great player and all but doesnt give us the options we need...

I don't nescessarily subscribe to the theory that its width that breaks down these teams, I think its just the quality of player available & the quality of player available to come off the bench late on in a game. Sure Utd don't even play with one proper out & out winger, but they have an abundance of quality attacking players which makes it easier to break down these type of teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I don't nescessarily subscribe to the theory that its width that breaks down these teams, I think its just the quality of player available & the quality of player available to come off the bench late on in a game. Sure Utd don't even play with one proper out & out winger, but they have an abundance of quality attacking players which makes it easier to break down these type of teams.
    Agreed. Width isn't some magical formula that instantly turns possession into goals.

• Advertisement

lads Tevez is maness, 90% of people here have been saying since last season we need more width. when teams park the bus its width that will help us and not jamming more players into an already congested middle, like el zhar did for us at the start of the season.

we need an out and out winger this summer, Tevez is a great player and all but doesnt give us the options we need...

No, it's not width that will break them apart.
    It's the ability to switch everything from the center to the wings.

The reason that El Zhar had such an effect wasn't simply "width", it was because if you spend 70 mins battering them through the middle, and then switch it wide, lesser, tired defences can't cope with the change.

Having naturaly wide players doesn't solve everything.

You need the abilty to switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Tevez wouldn't be my first choice to add to the squad, and he's overpriced, but Kuyt-Gerrard-Tevez playing in a fluid formation behind Torres would be extremely difficult to defend against.

well a lot of you have changed your tune quite considerably all of a sudden. as much as i rate Tevez i dont think he is what we need but i'd love to be proved wrong

well a lot of you have changed your tune quite considerably all of a sudden. as much as i rate Tevez i dont think he is what we need but i'd love to be proved wrong

I've constantly, and consistantly, said that "width" is just another buzz word (the new rotation/zonal marking).
    And that Rafa wants his width to come from the full/wingbacks.

The reason that El Zhar had such an effect....

Eh...what ? El Zhar came on a few times early on in the season and looked lively but rarely actually created anything. It was because of this that we haven't seen him in months. He was ineffective if anything.

I dont think we need a winger, we just need someone whos natural position is a wide attacking midfielder or someone that is effective from the wide areas. They dont need to stick to the touchline and whip in crosses. I dont actually think we are missing in width, we are just missing in quality players in the RWF and LWF positions.

Its a simple question. How effective is Tevez from either the LWF or RWF positions ? Im open to being proved wrong as Ive only seen him play there a couple of times, but from what United fans tell me, its far from his best position.

PHB says he's as good as Kuyt, so thats good enough for me! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

As for Tevez Aside from the over-priced issue,

Tevez is just not a winger. I honestly wouldn't be scared to see him line up against us on the left wing.

Width is a magical formula to win leagues. Look at the last five? Ronaldo dominated three years in a row, and his width won us games. The two before? Robben and Duff dominated.

****e teams can't deal with world class wingers, only really good defences can. Defences get streched by it. In tight games, narrow teams work well, and Liverpool show that, but playing two strikers in wing positions is just a silly tactic.

El Zhar made a big difference. Not himself personally, as ya know, he ain't that great a player, but it was nuts, every time he came on, Liverpool scored. Cause and effect dontcha know :)

It was because he hugged the lines, he drew the full backs out, which created space. Its football 101.

If Rafa could get Tevez playing up front somehow, and get him to regain the form he showed in South America, then he'd be a fantastic player for Liverpool. But only if he pushed Gerrard to the wing in the first 11 imo.

That said, there's an awful dearth of quality out there imo. Too many good teams buying up players and too many rich teams who don't need to sell.

Ronaldo is not a winger.

plus in a world where Berbatov is worth 31m, Jo is worth 19m, Bellamy is worth 16m, Keane is worth 20m......Tevez for 25m is not over-priced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

plus in a world where Berbatov is worth 31m, Jo is worth 19m, Bellamy is worth 16m, Keane is worth 20m......Tevez for 25m is not over-priced.
    Let's not forget Darren Bent for 18m :pac:

or Bentley.

we could go on all day.

at the end of the day, with the prices footballers command these days....25m is not over-priced for a player of Tevez's ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Dont know if this was posted allready, apologies if it has.

Liverpool\'s 12th Man presents the 09/10 away kit

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/2618149/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

I don't nescessarily subscribe to the theory that its width that breaks down these teams, ..

Well, you never could see the woods for the trees. Still trying to figure out how United are so successful in the Premiership...?

No need a top wide player this summer. Kuyt is a bottleneck on the right flank, pure and simple. His second touch is a tackle and his preferred move is to turn inside everytime which consequently narrows and stunts our play. Riera, by contrast, has been heralded in his first season at Anfield - his ability to dribble and beat his man down the line was badly needed.

Final word on width - it may not be the answer to all problems but when we drew all those home games against weaker teams with packed defenses, our lack of it was painfully obvious.

Ardent wrote: »
    Final word on width - it may not be the answer to all problems but when we drew all those home games against weaker teams with packed defenses, our lack of it was painfully obvious.

what about when our players were in a bit of form for the last few months of the season & we destroyed the weaker teams in question??

more quality, and quality replacing quality is as important if not more so imo.

as for me never seeing the wood from the trees.

out of curiousity, if you need top quality width to win the PL, who was Utds this season? Ronaldo has a free role so it certainly aint him, and there is no other real winger in the set up at Utd who gets any game time people like Park,Giggs & Flecther did jobs for them there this year.

I agree - In todays climate 25m for Tevez doesn't seem extraordinate. Im just not sure hes exactly what we need. Although Im very open to being proved wrong!

look at us!

agreeing on something! ;)

I agree with ardent. I dont agree that united play with out and out wingers or whatever but what they are given is a free role to cause havoc where they can, any one of the attackers can pop up anywhere at any time and are not stifled by rigid tactics at the business end of attacking.

If width is not an issue then why is rafa trying to sign a player like silva?......either rafa realises width is an issue or he is signing a player that we dont really need in some peoples opinions. This idea of signing players that are happy to play bit part roles is just the wrong attitude. We need improvement out wide by signing players that make some current first teamers the back up players, not sign players that can fill in for the current first teamers.

Anyone who thinks we cannot improve on the right side needs their head examined. There is no competition whatsoever for arbeloa or kuyt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kuyt and Babel in the Dutch squad for the upcoming qualifiers away to Iceland on June 6 and at home to Norway on June 10.

• Advertisement

look at us!

agreeing on something! ;)

Indeed!

Tusky wrote: »
    Eh...what ? El Zhar came on a few times early on in the season and looked lively but rarely actually created anything. It was because of this that we haven't seen him in months. He was ineffective if anything.

Because things were switched with his arrival.
    75 mins of one thing, wearing down players, suddenly the tactics are switched, and a player who likes to hug the touchlines is introduced, and we get a goal.

It's not rocket science.

Ardent wrote: »
    Well, you never could see the woods for the trees. Still trying to figure out how United are so successful in the Premiership...?

By playing Rooney, and ..........Tevez on the wing!!!
    You realise how you're shooting yourself inthe foot there right?!

daithijjj wrote: »
    I agree with ardent. I dont agree that united play with out and out wingers or whatever but what they are given is a free role to cause havoc where they can, any one of the attackers can pop up anywhere at any time and are not stifled by rigid tactics at the business end of attacking.

If width is not an issue then why is rafa trying to sign a player like silva?......either rafa realises width is an issue or he is signing a player that we dont really need in some peoples opinions. This idea of signing players that are happy to play bit part roles is just the wrong attitude. We need improvement out wide by signing players that make some current first teamers the back up players, not sign players that can fill in for the current first teamers.

Anyone who thinks we cannot improve on the right side needs their head examined. There is no competition whatsoever for arbeloa or kuyt .

But players with a freerole isn't width, and is the complete opposit of what you're arguing!

And have you watched Silva play?
    He's as far from a "wide"
    player as you can get, and plays best in the Luis Garcia role.

And Rafa should, and does buy players that the team needs, not what people like us think on an internet forum!

If silva is so exclusively central then who from the first xi is going to get the chop?

Im pretty sure ive seen silva play wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

If silva is so exclusively central then who from the first xi is going to get the chop?

Im pretty sure ive seen silva play wide.

he plays wide, but he's not a winger. He's forever drifting inside, moreso than beating the full-back with pace. I think he's a much better version of Yossi.

he plays wide, but he's not a winger. He's forever drifting inside, moreso than beating the full-back with pace. I think he's a much better version of Yossi.

I appreciate this point but you must also appreciate that his starting position is as a natural wide player who moves central and not a natural central player (yossi, kuyt) that plays wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Because things were switched with his arrival.
    75 mins of one thing, wearing down players, suddenly the tactics are switched, and a player who likes to hug the touchlines is introduced, and we get a goal.

It's not rocket science.

By playing Rooney, and ..........Tevez on the wing!!!
    You realise how you're shooting yourself inthe foot there right?!

But players with a freerole isn't width, and is the complete opposit of what you're arguing!

And have you watched Silva play?
    He's as far from a "wide"
    player as you can get, and plays best in the Luis Garcia role.

And Rafa should, and does buy players that the team needs, not what people like us think on an internet forum!

Oi.
    Even derren brown couldn't read rafa - its such a futile exercise.
    I'm still hoping he's struck some massive deal for aguero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

PHB wrote: »
    Width is a magical formula to win leagues.
    You're fantastic.

I appreciate this point but you must also appreciate that his starting position is as a natural wide player who moves central and not a natural central player (yossi, kuyt) that plays wide.

Silva plays in any position behind the front man.
    Left/Right/Central.

He's not a wide player, and he would not provide width, or "hug the touchline" as the saying goes.

Ronaldo starts on the left/right, but when he spends half the game in a central advanced position, exactly how does this provide width?

Players like Pennant provide width in the classic sense, but that isn't the way things work anymore.

Oi.
    Even derren brown couldn't read rafa - its such a futile exercise.
    I'm still hoping he's struck some massive deal for aguero

But that's my point.
    Rafa will do what Rafa thinks is best, and the fact that we argue over who he should/shouldn't buy will have no influence on him, making it a moot point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Players like Pennant provide width in the classic sense, but that isn't the way things work anymore.

This is very true, rather then traditional wingers, the best more exciting and influential attackers are those who just straight out attack and play the same type of fluid game regardless of starting position. Players like Nasri, Arshavin, Suarez, Ronaldo, Aguero, Silva, Messi, Yossi etc etc. They'll do their attacking with an emphesis on one particular part of the pitch (based on their starting position), but fluidly move around to where the space is to best exploit a teams weaknesses.

IMO the key to success now is having a number of these type of players working together intelligently to probe for openings. Most of those i listed are fast enough to exploit a high line of defence, as well as being able to take up positions to move the ball quickly around the box from side to side waiting for the strikers to make a move across the line to be slid through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Alonso---Mascherano

Gerrard
    Kuyt
    Torres
    Tevez

I know PHB wont be a fan as it doesnt have width per say. But i think that line up would scare the ****e out of opposition.

To be honest K-9, I can't see both Lucas and Alonso at Liverpool next season.
    One will be gone, IMO.
    If Tevez does come, then I agree and Alonso is the more likely loss.:(

Could live with maybe Lucas, Dossena and Voronin going. Juve seem interested in Dossena and there would be interest in Lucas. If we got about £15 Million for those 3, Rafa might be able to keep Alonso, buy Tevez and still have money for 1/2 other signings.

Interesting it says not matched? It suggests an offer has been made.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement