Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    This is very true, rather then traditional wingers, the best more exciting and influential attackers are those who just straight out attack and play the same type of fluid game regardless of starting position. Players like Nasri, Arshavin, Suarez, Ronaldo, Aguero, Silva, Messi, Yossi etc etc. They'll do their attacking with an emphesis on one particular part of the pitch (based on their starting position), but fluidly move around to where the space is to best exploit a teams weaknesses.

IMO the key to success now is having a number of these type of players working together intelligently to probe for openings. Most of those i listed are fast enough to exploit a high line of defence, as well as being able to take up positions to move the ball quickly around the box from side to side waiting for the strikers to make a move across the line to be slid through

Exactly, you want dynamic players (with kwalaties no?) who con adapt to the game.
    One dimensional old style wingers are okay as squad players, but they can only work in certain instances.
    Nasri and Arshavin working ahead of Cesc is a perfect example.

If we had Gerrard and Teves/Silva working off Alonso, with Torres upfront, I think we could see magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Silva plays in any position behind the front man.
    Left/Right/Central.

He's not a wide player, and he would not provide width, or "hug the touchline" as the saying goes.

Ronaldo starts on the left/right, but when he spends half the game in a central advanced position, exactly how does this provide width?

Players like Pennant provide width in the classic sense, but that isn't the way things work anymore.

There is a miss-communication here somewhere. I never claimed he would "hug the touchline" or similar. I did claim he would start in a position like rieras for example, is this not wide?.

There is a hell of a difference between playing a player in his natural position and letting him move about, to asking a player to play in a position where he has not played for most of his football life and need him to provide what that position entails.

For arguments sake, where in the 4231 formation does silva fit in?, if indeed most of us would agree that this is how we are going to play.

Your point about ronaldo providing/(or not) width is just backing up the point i made about uniteds attackers being given a free role to cause havoc wherever the play dictates. When kuyt plays on the right he stays there, he does not wander to the left out of nowhere. Ronaldo regularly hits the touchline (left and right if thats whats needed) because he has great pace to hurt a full back there, he plays everywhere and he is allowed the freedom to do this, ditto the others. If a player like silva joined us it would be great if he was afforded the same game plan, a game plan that is simply, create general mayhem.

I fully accept that silva can play in the position that keane has vacated but i really cant see silva and riera in the same starting xi. Dont get me wrong i would love to see it but from what ive seen it isnt rafas style, or at the very least, there would have to be a move away from the 4231 formation to accomodate it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Mr Alan wrote: »

Very interesting quote;

"Contrary to reports, Liverpool have not met the £25m valuation of Carlos Tevez."

is not;

"Contrary to reports, Liverpool have no interest whatsoever in signing Carlos Tevez".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

spockety wrote: »
    Very interesting quote;

"Contrary to reports, Liverpool have not met the £25m valuation of Carlos Tevez."

is not;

"Contrary to reports, Liverpool have no interest whatsoever in signing Carlos Tevez".

No quote marks, its not a quote!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Tusky wrote: »

he's quoting the article as opposed to a Quote used in the article.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Tusky wrote: »

I was quoting the article's author!

He's seen as being very close to the internal goings on at the club, or even sometimes an off the record mouthpiece for Rafa himself.

He has said things before like "Contrary to reports, Liverpool are not interested in X".. that quote looks a bit different.

daithijjj wrote: »
    There is a miss-communication here somewhere. I never claimed he would "hug the touchline" or similar. I did claim he would start in a position like rieras for example, is this not wide?.

The misconception seems to be in the word "width".
    It became the buzzword last year, as another stick to flog Rafa with.
    We were told that the players he buys don't stay wide enough, and always want to drift in.

That is exactly what Silva is.
    That is exactly what Ronaldo is.

daithijjj wrote:
    There is a hell of a difference between playing a player in his natural position and letting him move about, to asking a player to play in a position where he has not played for most of his football life and need him to provide what that position entails.

Kuyt up front.
    Kuyt on the right.
    daithijjj wrote:
    For arguments sake, where in the 4231 formation does silva fit in?, if indeed most of us would agree that this is how we are going to play.

Torres

Silva
    Silva
    Silva

daithijjj wrote:
    Your point about ronaldo providing/(or not) width is just backing up the point i made about uniteds attackers being given a free role to cause havoc wherever the play dictates. When kuyt plays on the right he stays there, he does not wander to the left out of nowhere. Ronaldo regularly hits the touchline (left and right if thats whats needed) because he has great pace to hurt a full back there, he plays everywhere and he is allowed the freedom to do this, ditto the others. If a player like silva joined us it would be great if he was afforded the same game plan, a game plan that is simply, create general mayhem.

Luis had that.
    Kewel had that.
    It only works if the player is up to it.
    As much as it pains me to say it, Ronaldo is a phenomonal player on his day.
    It's yet tot be proven if Silva is.
    daithijjj wrote:
    I fully accept that silva can play in the position that keane has vacated but i really cant see silva and riera in the same starting xi. Dont get me wrong i would love to see it but from what ive seen it isnt rafas style, or at the very least, there would have to be a move away from the 4231 formation to accomodate it.

Torres

Riera
    Silva
    Silva

Silva for Valencia plays in any roll behind the striker.
    He is usually employed on the left or center, but can play on the right, and has.

I posted my ideas for a formation with Teves a few pages back.
    It's just my idea, but it has been clear for two years, bad from Rafa's mouth also, that he wants width to come from the full/wingbacks.
    That gives the wing-forwards players, the chance to get inside and mix things up.

If we get the wingbacks, I'd say we'll see that a lot next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I want to see Agger start playing like Pique. He's well able.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i think that's a little harsh; in that i'd also love to see him fulfil his potential, but i do think he does well enough when he plays.

pique is good, but he's not the epitome of the ideal cultured defender yet, don't jump the gun too much.

i'd rather agger started playing like the maldini of 10 years ago anyway :)

Lets just assume everyone knows where silva can play or has previously played :D;).

Do you have someone in mind that would drop out of the first xi if he did sign ??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

When agger plays he's our best defender by some distance - problem has been injuries not his performances.

I'm not slagging him off, I'm a great fan of his..its just thats my vision for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Have to disagree with ye there, Agger is a better player than Pique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I rate Agger better on the ground, but Pique better in the air. That guy can seriously dominate high balls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Agger will offer Liverpool so much more attacking-wise coming from defence, plus he's got a sweet left foot.

Here's to the future, Agger/Skrtle :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He's not a wide player, and he would not provide width
    Wrong. I've watched hiim play behind the front man, as the front man and wide on the right and the left. The man is very special in that he can play any of those roles and very well too.

I've seen him play numerous times for Valencia over the last few seasons and seen him play all these positions. I don't know if you have watched Valencia much but he played five games when Joaquin was injured on the left and he was exceptional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm banging my head off the keyboard here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Typing with your head and no typos, fair play :D

I've said it before but I really hope the transfers are done early because a Summer of rumours will do my head in. I know Suarez has been mentioned on here before. Might be worth offering Babel as part of a deal to tempt Ajax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Only 78 days to go to the start of the season.;)

I'm sure it will zip by.

• Advertisement

I'm already hot for the meaningless pre-season friendlies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Daemonic wrote: »
    I've said it before but I really hope the transfers are done early because a Summer of rumours will do my head in.

Ha, good luck with that. The same wish is there for every club.
    But then how do you know when the transfers are over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Bet Voronin will spunk in ten in pre-season and start up front with Nando first game of the season :)

When Rafa pulls the insides of his trouser pockets out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

JPA wrote: »

the deadline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

el rabitos wrote: »
    the deadline?

Well you're missing the context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Not sure if anybody has mentioned this lad yet. Could the Tevez thing be a smoke screen?.

Liverpool are on high alert after Ezequiel Lavezzi’s agent declared “the rapport with Napoli is practically broken.”

The Argentine, nicknamed ‘Pocho’, was the subject of a huge bid from the Anfield club that would triple his current wages.

Napoli turned it down, but the situation is deteriorating at the Stadio San Paolo and he may have played his final game for the side.

“With each moment that passes, Lavezzi is further away from Napoli and we cannot guarantee he will return here after the World Cup qualifiers in Argentina,” announced agent Alejandro Mazzoni on Sky Italia.

“We need to sit around a table and see what is to be done. He feels that the club doesn’t love him any more and cannot be happy with this situation.

“I can say the rapport with Napoli is practically broken.”

The player is asking for a contract extension to 2013 with improved wages, which are currently at £1m per season.

“The last meeting with director general [Pierpaolo] Marino to discuss this matter was seven months ago,” continued a furious Mazzoni.

“We received an offer from an English club, but he told us not to begin any negotiations because Napoli wanted to renew the deal with Ezequiel.

“He asked me for some time, but from that moment neither Marino nor President [Aurelio] De Laurentiis have answered our phone calls.

“Lavezzi himself tried calling the President, but the phone was not picked up.”

Pocho is a huge favourite with the fans, who dubbed him the ‘new Diego Maradona’ after his spectacular performances at the San Paolo.

“Lavezzi is not enjoying this situation at all. He would like to remain at Napoli just because he loves the city and its fans, but the rapport with the club is practically broken.

“I cannot say for sure whether he will be at the summer training camp if things don’t change. The club owns his contract, but not his head.”

The 24-year-old joined Napoli from San Lorenzo in 2007, scoring 15 goals in 64 games for the Italians.

He was listed 14th in the round-up of 50 most promising young players in the world, according to The Times.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/may29x.html

NAPLES - Ezequiel Lavezzi seems ever more distant from Naples and ever closer to Liverpool. According to indiscretions dell'ultim'ora believe that Liverpool has a super offer ready to go deliver a Pierpaolo Marino and President De Laurentis in the next few hours for the Argentine. The offer of reds include a substantial amount of money at around 20 million plus the tag of the quarterback left Andrea Dossena. Hardly the Napoli will have the strength to say no to a similar offer

http://www.calciomercatonews.com/dettaglioNewsCategoria.asp?plink=lavezzi-liverpool&hdnIdCategoria=2&hdnId=20557

Yep he's been discussed a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

mike65 wrote: »
    Yep he's been discussed a bit.

Bugger...

Im not a big fan of youtube clips but i like the idea of someone with alot of pace and a bit of trickery coming to the club.

Hes on alot less than half of what the club were paying kewell and he looks like a player that has attributes that can mix up our play. If dossena can be used as an olive branch in a deal then he could be a good aquisition. Being totally honest, id rather him than splash 25mil on tevez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I'm already hot for the meaningless pre-season friendlies!

First pre-season game is against St Gallen on 15th July ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Yes no maybe seems to be the concensus but not for 11.5 million unless its dollars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

daithijjj wrote: »
    Im not a big fan of youtube clips but i like the idea of someone with alot of pace and a bit of trickery coming to the club.

Hes on alot less than half of what the club were paying kewell and he looks like a player that has attributes that can mix up our play. If dossena can be used as an olive branch in a deal then he could be a good aquisition. Being totally honest, id rather him than splash 25mil on tevez.

he actually reminds me of a younger Tevez a bit, when he first broke onto the scene in Argentina. Close control, strength, pace and from that video at least not shy of a bit of industry.

get him for the right wing forward position, and Suarez for the left and that allows gerrard to be still kept in his advanced role. best youtube forward line ever ;)

he actually reminds me of a younger Tevez a bit, when he first broke onto the scene in Argentina. Close control, strength, pace and from that video at least not shy of a bit of industry.

get him for the right wing forward position, and Suarez for the left and that allows gerrard to be still kept in his advanced role. best youtube forward line ever ;)

Lolz ;), he does remind me of tevez too but with more pace and probably more crucial for us, seeing as we are mostly penny pinching, the thought of dossena going as part of the deal wouldnt exactly leave me depressed, if you get my meaning ;).

The numbers are in!

The financial statement for perios ending July 2008 is now availible, here are some figures

Turnover £159.1m up from 133.9m in 2007
    Pre-tax operating profit £10.2m up from loss of 20m in 2007
    Player net spend 28 million up from 22m (sales 24 m)
    Net debt £86m from £43.9m in 2007

Stimpyone wrote: »
    Not sure if anybody has mentioned this lad yet. Could the Tevez thing be a smoke screen?.

Liverpool are on high alert after Ezequiel Lavezzi’s agent declared “the rapport with Napoli is practically broken.”

The Argentine, nicknamed ‘Pocho’, was the subject of a huge bid from the Anfield club that would triple his current wages.

Napoli turned it down, but the situation is deteriorating at the Stadio San Paolo and he may have played his final game for the side.

“With each moment that passes, Lavezzi is further away from Napoli and we cannot guarantee he will return here after the World Cup qualifiers in Argentina,” announced agent Alejandro Mazzoni on Sky Italia.

“We need to sit around a table and see what is to be done. He feels that the club doesn’t love him any more and cannot be happy with this situation.

“I can say the rapport with Napoli is practically broken.”

The player is asking for a contract extension to 2013 with improved wages, which are currently at £1m per season.

“The last meeting with director general [Pierpaolo] Marino to discuss this matter was seven months ago,” continued a furious Mazzoni.

“We received an offer from an English club, but he told us not to begin any negotiations because Napoli wanted to renew the deal with Ezequiel.

“He asked me for some time, but from that moment neither Marino nor President [Aurelio] De Laurentiis have answered our phone calls.

“Lavezzi himself tried calling the President, but the phone was not picked up.”

Pocho is a huge favourite with the fans, who dubbed him the ‘new Diego Maradona’ after his spectacular performances at the San Paolo.

“Lavezzi is not enjoying this situation at all. He would like to remain at Napoli just because he loves the city and its fans, but the rapport with the club is practically broken.

“I cannot say for sure whether he will be at the summer training camp if things don’t change. The club owns his contract, but not his head.”

The 24-year-old joined Napoli from San Lorenzo in 2007, scoring 15 goals in 64 games for the Italians.

He was listed 14th in the round-up of 50 most promising young players in the world, according to The Times.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/may29x.html

NAPLES - Ezequiel Lavezzi seems ever more distant from Naples and ever closer to Liverpool. According to indiscretions dell'ultim'ora believe that Liverpool has a super offer ready to go deliver a Pierpaolo Marino and President De Laurentis in the next few hours for the Argentine. The offer of reds include a substantial amount of money at around 20 million plus the tag of the quarterback left Andrea Dossena. Hardly the Napoli will have the strength to say no to a similar offer

http://www.calciomercatonews.com/dettaglioNewsCategoria.asp?plink=lavezzi-liverpool&hdnIdCategoria=2&hdnId=20557

He has been discussed but thats a new article and its good to see his agent actually confirm that Liverpool made an offer. Exciting stuff!

Yes no maybe seems to be the concensus but not for 11.5 million unless its dollars

yen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

blues after benitez

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

:pac: couldnt help it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thai Baht is most likely tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

where can i find a list of liverpools pre-season fixtures. i heard that athletico madrid are coming to anfield and was thinking of going over. can't find any info. cheers in advance

• Advertisement

July

15th v FC St Gallen
    AFG Arena, St Gallen
    Kick-off 8pm

19th v Rapid Vienna
    Ernst Happel Stadium, Vienna
    Kick-off 7.15pm

22th v Thailand
    National Stadium, Bangkok
    Kick-off 8pm

26th v Singapore
    National Stadium, Singapore
    Kick-off 8pm

31st 7.45pm Meadow Lane
    Notts County v Liverpool XI

August

2nd v Espanyol
    Cornella-El Prat Stadium, Barcelona
    Kick-off TBC

3rd 7.30pm Memorial Stadium
    Bristol Rovers v Liverpool XI

5th v FC Lyn
    Oslo
    Kick-off 7pm

8th v Atletico Madrid
    Anfield
    3pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

evil_seed wrote: »
    where can i find a list of liverpools pre-season fixtures. i heard that athletico madrid are coming to anfield and was thinking of going over. can't find any info. cheers in advance

Not a Reds fan but here ya go. I know a guy going to the Espanyol match, as he will be in Barcelona then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

This Lavezzi chap looks good. Looks like what we need - pace and direct running at defenders. Him and Benny on either flank could really be a handful.

What is his favoured position?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Quite a lot of rumours today, probably all bollox but...

We've been linked to:

Javi Martinez, Michael Owen, some guy called Sessegnon from PSG that I've never heard of for £12m, and Adam Johnson.

Anyone watch the French League know anything about this Sessegnon chap?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Wrong. I've watched hiim play behind the front man, as the front man and wide on the right and the left. The man is very special in that he can play any of those roles and very well too.

I've seen him play numerous times for Valencia over the last few seasons and seen him play all these positions. I don't know if you have watched Valencia much but he played five games when Joaquin was injured on the left and he was exceptional.

:rolleyes:
    Silva plays in any position behind the front man.
    Left/Right/Central.

Torres

Silva
    Silva
    Silva

Silva for Valencia plays in any roll behind the striker.
    He is usually employed on the left or center, but can play on the right, and has.

Well done.

Morzadec wrote: »

Anyone watch the French League know anything about this Sessegnon chap?

From the youtube clips it seems that his main strength is erm strength and dribbling.

Kuyt Q&A
    Who is the loudest in the squad?

I think that's Jamie Carragher! He's always shouting at people and telling them what to do on the pitch – it seems like you can hear him from everywhere. Sometimes he's so loud you just have to laugh about it.

Who has got the hardest shot?

When Riise was here it was definitely him, but now it must be Stevie Gerrard! Daniel Agger can really hit the ball hard and has scored some great goals for us, but I think Stevie just has more power.

Who is the best at FIFA 09?

Fernando Torres and Javier Mascherano play the FIFA games a lot on away trips, but I'm not sure who is the best! Hopefully they'll both let me get involved soon because I know I would be better than them!

Who's the cleverest?

Most people say footballers aren't very intelligent! It's hard to tell because we spend most of our time talking football, but I think Xabi Alonso is quite clever – at least he thinks he's clever anyway!

Who is the strongest?

The whole squad does weights a few times a week after training and Pepe Reina is the strongest. If there was a competition to see who could lift the most weights or do the most squats, Pepe would definitely win!

Who is your best mate?

I get on with all the lads, but I play golf with Pepe Reina and Albert Riera whenever I get the chance. Yossi Benayoun plays poker with us sometimes as well, so I probably spend the most time with them.

Who's the club DJ?

I don't want to big myself up but the lads always ask me to put my iPod on before games. It's probably because I'm the only one who has an iPod with me! I try to get a good mix of songs to keep everyone happy.

Who's the fastest?

We always do sprint tests at Liverpool so that's an easy one. We did the tests a couple of weeks ago and Ryan Babel was easily the fastest – even quicker than Fernando. I think he did athletics when he was younger.

Who is Mr Liverpool?

I think Carra knows everything – not only about Liverpool but about football in general. He eats and sleeps football and watches it every day, so he knows everything about the club. Steven Gerrard knows a lot about Liverpool too.

Also if anyone wants a look at Lavezzi, hes playing at the moment. He created the second goal with a lovely bit of skill.

Stream : http://www.justin.tv/tvnapoli/popout

Oh well done Tusky - you've injured him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Means we will get him for cheaper now :)

Like Degen, super.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭GBX

How many times does he have to say it :rolleyes:
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164594090531-1653.htm

Rafa Benitez has rubbished reports in the Spanish media that an agreement has been reached with Real Madrid for the transfer of Xabi Alonso.
    The midfielder has been linked with a move away from Anfield this summer but the Reds boss has poured cold water on suggestions the Spain international is set to leave.

The Liverpool manager said: "The situation is clear, we do not want to sell our best players and that includes Xabi.

"He had a very good season for us and can be an important player in the future. There is no agreement with Real and we want him to be part of our plans going forward.

"Xabi himself told our club magazine only two weeks ago that he was looking forward to his sixth season as a Liverpool player. Why should he want to leave now?"

Benitez added: "Xabi's agent came to see me recently to talk about the future. It was a surprise for me and I pointed out to him there were three years left on Xabi's contract.

"I asked him if the player was happy in Liverpool and he said yes. It was a short meeting."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement