Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

rossie1977 wrote: »
    its gone past the point where liverpool should be buying squad players, the players arriving at liverpool from this point on should be players that are for the first team and better than the current players in that position
    Could'nt have put it better myself:). Barry would have been a squad player. I'll be happy with one world class player coming in instead of three squad players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

rossie1977 wrote: »
    its gone past the point where liverpool should be buying squad players, the players arriving at liverpool from this point on should be players that are for the first team and better than the current players in that position

This is the philosophy that most fans should have, unfortunately they dont. I echoed your sentiments about 20 pages back. How you improve is by making signings, that make some of our current first teamers the back up, not the other way round, by signing players that can 'fill in' or are happy spending time on the bench.

There is no point signing 3/4 players who are average. Its much more in our interest to buy 2 great players and nothing else imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Thankfully people here are beginning to talk sense. All this 'hang onto him / buy him - he's / would be a good squad player' nonsense was beginning to Michael my Owen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Thankfully people here are beginning to talk sense. All this 'hang onto him / buy him - he's / would be a good squad player' nonsense was beginning to Michael my Owen.

yes lets sell all of out squad players too, who needs them :rolleyes:

yes lets sell all of out squad players too, who needs them :rolleyes:

**sigh** :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

It's exciting to see that the big transfers are getting underway although a little disheartening to see some of the figures being quoted, really hope we can compete and avoid a bidding war for whoever we go in for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

Im very worried about Xabi now. With Real spending 65 million on Kaka that rules out a move for Ronaldo. But I could easily see Xabi going for 20-30 million.

All I say is if we sell Xabi. We riot. :mad:

Barry is only a mercenary as far as im concerned now. Would of took him ANY day over Lucas. (Yes lucas is young blah blah but I think he is **** and if he needs time then we should have someone else ahead of him in the pecking order especially when we are meant to be challenging(my thinking was Barry for that role especially the way he plays with gerrard for england).

Ah well. I dont want Tevez and even though id love Villa he just wouldnt fit our formation.

Arron Lennon or Ribery and glen johnson.

Ive a bad feeling though we will be disapointed again this summer regards transfers.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Villa could partner Torres with Gerrard in behind in a 4-3-1-2 formation. Italy won the world cup with that system and Barca used a variant in the CL final so it's not a new system. Probably not worth spending the big bucks needed for Villa to have to risk trying it though.

Villa could partner Torres with Gerrard in behind in a 4-3-1-2 formation. Italy won the world cup with that system and Barca used a variant in the CL final so it's not a new system. Probably not worth spending the big bucks needed for Villa to have to risk trying it though.

Well if Rafa is intending on sticking to his formation then spending 30 million on villa would be a waste.

We need back up to Torres in this current formation. Weve been linked with a fella called Kleber from Brazil so im expecting to get some forward in for around the 7 million mark who wouldnt mind sitting on the bench but has the quality to become great or at least do a damn good job.

After that we really need to spend big on a fast attacking winger in the Ribery/Lennon mould.

And competition at right back would be the next priority in my book.

Im actualy pretty happy that barry looks to have moved to city, seems to have changed his tune on wanting to play champions league. The sheik just cashed in at barclays today and made a cool 1.5 billion on his investment. I wonder what he will spend the cash on?.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

joe123 wrote: »
    Im very worried about Xabi now. With Real spending 65 million on Kaka that rules out a move for Ronaldo. But I could easily see Xabi going for 20-30 million.

All I say is if we sell Xabi. We riot. :mad:

Barry is only a mercenary as far as im concerned now. Would of took him ANY day over Lucas. (Yes lucas is young blah blah but I think he is **** and if he needs time then we should have someone else ahead of him in the pecking order especially when we are meant to be challenging(my thinking was Barry for that role especially the way he plays with gerrard for england).

Ah well. I dont want Tevez and even though id love Villa he just wouldnt fit our formation.

Arron Lennon or Ribery and glen johnson.

Ive a bad feeling though we will be disapointed again this summer regards transfers.

Sometimes it's well after the summer before you realise who the really good signings are, and it's not always the mega bucks ones. Even if there are no big name signings i wouldn't be too disheartened. I never heard of alonso, agger, or skrtl before they arrived. Rafa has a good track record, though some people will go to great lengths to argue otherwise.

spockety wrote: »
    Sometimes it's well after the summer before you realise who the really good signings are, and it's not always the mega bucks ones. Even if there are no big name signings i wouldn't be too disheartened. I never heard of alonso, agger, or skrtl before they arrived. Rafa has a good track record, though some people will go to great lengths to argue otherwise.

I know what your saying and your right.

BUT we need someone in attack to take the burden of Gerrard/Torres. I just think to get quality, 90% of the time you have to pay that bit extra. How much have we wasted on the Bellamys and pennants of this world.

I just think we need that big signing that other teams will look at and go "oh ****e".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

**sigh** :rolleyes:

not quite sure what you are sighing about, you said it:
    Thankfully people here are beginning to talk sense. All this 'hang onto him he's a good squad player' nonsense was beginning to Michael my Owen.

not quite sure what you are sighing about, you said it:

Sighing about your sarcastic comment on selling all of our squad players. I never said that. I was alluding to having players that aren't good enough, and the fact we need some better first team players, not 'squad' players right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

BUT we need someone in attack to take the burden of Gerrard/Torres. I just think to get quality, 90% of the time you have to pay that bit extra. How much have we wasted on the Bellamys and pennants of this world.

Gah. Why take such a narrow view of those signings? Ignoring the fact that we made a profit on Bellamy and Pennant almost came good, those were two positions that we needed players for. Signing one slightly better player would have left us short over an entire season. You saw the importance of a large squad this season; try to imagine we didn't have enough cover to finish fourth last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

Well if Rafa is intending on sticking to his formation then spending 30 million on villa would be a waste.

We need back up to Torres in this current formation. Weve been linked with a fella called Kleber from Brazil so im expecting to get some forward in for around the 7 million mark who wouldnt mind sitting on the bench but has the quality to become great or at least do a damn good job.

After that we really need to spend big on a fast attacking winger in the Ribery/Lennon mould.

And competition at right back would be the next priority in my book.
    I reckon youd be looking at around 50 million for Villa to be honest.

PiE wrote: »
    Gah. Why take such a narrow view of those signings? Ignoring the fact that we made a profit on Bellamy and Pennant almost came good, those were two positions that we needed players for. Signing one slightly better player would have left us short over an entire season. You saw the importance of a large squad this season; try to imagine we didn't have enough cover to finish fourth last season.

Ah yes back then those signings were more necessity. But if we are to really push United/Chelsea and Arsenal next season and all those three will have improved we cant keep buying squad players.

We have our squad players now in the likes of Kuyt,Benny,Lucas (sigh). We NEED this summer (not talking about years gone by) THIS SUMMER we need that world class addition. Gerrard has said it himself and anyone who thinks we can win the title by signing more good squad players are kidding themselves.

United wont be as ****e next season. Chelsea will have invested and Arsenal most certainly wont be as ****e.

Its going to be alot tougher next year imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

United wont be as ****e next season. Chelsea will have invested and Arsenal most certainly wont be as ****e.

Its going to be alot tougher next year imo.

What makes you think it will be tougher?

2006-2007 - Man Utd 89 Points
    2007-2008 - Man Utd 87 Points
    2008-2009 - Man Utd 90 Points

How exactly were Utd sh*te last season? They had their best season in years. If anything they're likely to get less points next season

Ah yes back then those signings were more necessity. But if we are to really push United/Chelsea and Arsenal next season and all those three will have improved we cant keep buying squad players.

We have our squad players now in the likes of Kuyt,Benny,Lucas (sigh). We NEED this summer (not talking about years gone by) THIS SUMMER we need that world class addition. Gerrard has said it himself and anyone who thinks we can win the title by signing more good squad players are kidding themselves.

No, I agree with that. I don't see anybody who's doesn't. But saying we "wasted money" on those signing does a great disservice to Rafa - it's not like he coulda said "eh, no we'll not buy Crouch/Pennant/Bellamy/Lucas/etc, we'll just buy Villa instead" unless of course Villa was willing to play up front, on both wings, in midfield and clock up about 90 games a season.

This is (arguably - some might say last year) the first summer where Rafa has the squad at the level where he can consider buying starting XI players only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Not really. United played below their best and everyone knows it. The defence was world class, but after that, we needed lots of last minute victories due to shoddy attacking to get through. I'm not so sure we'll be as weak next year. If the defence can maintain their form and our attack can find the form they had the previous year, we'll be certainly much better.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,599 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I hate this time of the season. SSN now saying that City, athlethico and spurs are all in for Benny.

apparently a daily mail story started it based on following quotes from Benny on Israeli radio

:
    Speaking on Israeli radio, Benayoun said: 'This has been the best season of my career. I have played a lot of games and scored some important goals, and I am very happy with that.

'At the moment, I am a Liverpool player, and unless something surprising happens, I will remain one. But after such a good season, I have had some offers from England and Spain. You have to give that some consideration, so there will probably be some discussions with Liverpool.

'I have had a great two years at Anfield and enjoyed every minute. I have long since accepted that, with one or two notable exceptions, there is no such thing as an automatic choice at Liverpool.

'Unless you are Steven Gerrard, you are going to sit out one or two games, but that is no problem. Stevie is exceptional, and the rest of us accept that.

'The good thing is, I have been playing more, and I hope it continues that way. To be honest, it could be Real Madrid knocking on my door, and I would still rather stay at Liverpool four more years.'

PiE wrote: »
    This is (arguably - some might say last year) the first summer where Rafa has the squad at the level where he can consider buying starting XI players only.

If you accept that argument, which I know lots of people do, last year was almost certainly the point where Rafa could consider it. But he didn't do it. If he doesn't do it this year, it will show without a doubt that the initial argument about how Rafa had to build up the squad etc. was just wrong, and in reality, its an active tactic from Benetiz in how he goes about squad building.

This summer will be revealing in lots of ways.

PHB wrote: »
    Not really. United played below their best and everyone knows it. The defence was world class, but after that, we needed lots of last minute victories due to shoddy attacking to get through. I'm not so sure we'll be as weak next year. If the defence can maintain their form and our attack can find the form they had the previous year, we'll be certainly much better.
    There's a difference between playing nicer football and accumulating points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

They might play better football and score more goals, but i don't think they'll get a much higher points tally, especially as the league gets more competitive all the time. City, Spurs, Villa and Everton will all probably be tougher tests for the top 4 next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Play better maybe, but it would be a massive ask for ManU to even match this seasons tally. Sure, they were poor for 80mins of a good few games this season, but they kept getting the 3 points and finished with an absolutely massive points tally. I'd put money on them finishing a little lower next season (not saying they wont finish top or anything, just dont think they'll match or beat that points total).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If you accept that argument, which I know lots of people do, last year was almost certainly the point where Rafa could consider it. But he didn't do it. If he doesn't do it this year, it will show without a doubt that the initial argument about how Rafa had to build up the squad etc. was just wrong, and in reality, its an active tactic from Benetiz in how he goes about squad building.

This summer will be revealing in lots of ways.

I think last season Rafa DID buy for the first team. On a limited budget, but still got what he could with a view to adding first team players rather then squad players.

Dossena, Riera and Keane were all consistently first choice at the start of the season (Riera stayed first choice up until Yossi's amazing run, when he took over on merit).

Whats needed obviously is more money to make a proper leap in class in the required positions rather then just an improvement. (Keane and Dossena didn't even turn out to add that improvement, but it looked to me like that was the plan).

If you accept that argument, which I know lots of people do, last year was almost certainly the point where Rafa could consider it. But he didn't do it.
    As Rebel said, he clearly did attempt to do it last season. Keane didn't work out - but Dossena and especially Riera are both regular first XI now.
    If he doesn't do it this year, it will show without a doubt that the initial argument about how Rafa had to build up the squad etc. was just wrong, and in reality, its an active tactic from Benetiz in how he goes about squad building.
    Oh my. This is a ridiculous comment, even by your standards. So by this logic, he's saying that it "takes time and money to build a squad" as a cover for um... building a squad?

However, just like shoddy performances last season were not reflected in the league table, it could well be the case that stellar performances next season do not get reflected in the league table either.

I'll be surprised if we have 30 million to spend on transfers this summer. Pretty depressing TBH considering some of the sums being banded around for quality this summer. Ribery for example....45-50m.:eek: He's good no doubt but come on.

• Advertisement

In relation to United, that is almost certainly true. It's very much possible that United won't grind out results as they did this year, and points tallys dont necessarily equal performance.

My point is just that its entirely possible that United or Chelsea could step it up another level next season. If both their defence and attack perform as they could.

All indications point to the idea that next season, we'll probably have four teams competing for the league with pretty decent squads. I think it's likely that they'll push each other on, and we'll see a winner at around 95 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

United have only once before got over 90 points in a season before this season. I've said it time and time again, this myth that United were 'there for the taking' this year is just ridiculous as it does not correspond in any way to their very high points tally.

Yes United might have played poor at times this season, but when they did they usually managed to scrape a 1-0 win, or a last minute comeback like against Villa. You cant improve on 3 points I'm afraid. So if they're better next year, the only way they can improve on these results is by banging in a few extra goals and closing the gap on their inferior goal difference which this season, as well as almost every other season, had no effect whatsoever on the League table.

As has been pointed out, the League might be more competitive next year. Giggs is aging and will surely no longer be the best player in the Premiership (:rolleyes:), Tevez looks likely to be gone, Scholes looks like he is on the wane. Of course they might sign someone special, or Ronny might have another 42 goal season, but if you offered a United fan 90 points at the end of next season I would assume they would take it, and they'd be a fool not to. And this would be no improvement on what they achieved this season.

So whether United are better or not next year, for us I still think 90 points is the target. 90 points should be enough to guarantee the League, it'd be an odd set of circumstances if we reached such a high points tally and didn't win it.

So how close are we? We got 86 points this season. That's turning 2 draws into 2 wins. That's not too far at all.

Let's say the ref didn't disallow that goal against Stoke at home, and one of the many shots that hit the woodwork against Spurs away snuck in. That would've done it. (I'm not trying to if and but, and moan about bad luck costing us the League by any means, just trying to point out exactly how close it really was).

What I'm trying to illustrate is that this year we were good enough. We didn't do it but we could have; we were good enough. The width of a woodwork and the eyes of a linesman dosn't make us any worse of a team. We were right up there and there was very little to choose between us and United, and we could've done it this year. So while I would encourage squad improvements, I think the priority is hanging onto the key men (selling Xabi would be a disaster).

United will improve their squad and we must do likewise. But what I really want to point out is that in my opinion there is very little deficit (if any) that we have to make up in order to win the League, which has not been the case in years gone by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

My point is just that its entirely possible that United or Chelsea could step it up another level next season. If both their defence and attack perform as they could.

yea, whereas Liverpool, the team that has actually improved year in year out since Rafas arrival........ they have no chance of doing so again next season and moving to another level, do they? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Mr Alan wrote: »
    yea, whereas Liverpool, the team that has actually improved year in year out since Rafas arrival........ they have no chance of doing so again next season and moving to another level, do they? :rolleyes:

yeah i know.

this superiority complex Utd and Chelsea fans seem to still have about Liverpool is just ridiculous.

there's three of us up there now (not taking into consideration Arsenal, who have fallen away slightly the last 18 months), whether fans like it or not. we're at that level. we could drop, of course, but so could anyone. and as Alan said, we've improved year on year, so surely we're as likely as anyone to improve. fans seem to somehow think this season was the peak and the chance is gone. laughable.

but sure, we'll wait in the shadows again, and 'shock' everyone with another title challenge next season. that's fine by me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Looking back over the last season, one thing comes to mind.

Boy am I glad we have Rafa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

All indications point to the idea that next season, we'll probably have four teams competing for the league with pretty decent squads. I think it's likely that they'll push each other on, and we'll see a winner at around 95 points.

i doubt it, 95 points would shatter utds previous best over 38 games, in fact thats nearly 20 points more than they gained in 1999 (just putting that points tally into perspective)

it just tells you have far the top 4 have improved when winning the league with 90 points is considered a poor season or when chelsea who finished this year on 83 points in third place, a total that would have easily won them the league in 1996.97, 98 and 99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

SlickRic wrote: »
    yeah i know.

this superiority complex Utd and Chelsea fans seem to still have about Liverpool is just ridiculous.

there's three of us up there now (not taking into consideration Arsenal, who have fallen away slightly the last 18 months), whether fans like it or not. we're at that level. we could drop, of course, but so could anyone. and as Alan said, we've improved year on year, so surely we're as likely as anyone to improve. fans seem to somehow think this season was the peak and the chance is gone. laughable.

but sure, we'll wait in the shadows again, and 'shock' everyone with another title challenge next season. that's fine by me.

Next season could be very different depending on who they bring in and if they hold onto people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

slingerz wrote: »
    Next season could be very different depending on who they bring in and if they hold onto people

i agree.

but what's their track record on doing that? not great i'd say.

i'm not dismissing them by any means; it's just that over the course of the last season utd, chelsea and liverpool were just a bit ahead in terms of their consistency.

i could just change my post to 'there's 4 of us up there now'. i wasn't trying to offend, just stating that the other 3 have been on a slightly different level than arsenal this season.

To get 90 points is a remarkable acheivment and this has become the norm the last few years. Go back to the mid 95-96 I think when united won the league with 75 points !

My point is, any team will do well to surpass 90 points and if they do it may be 91, 92 points. Chelsea I recall hit 95 a few years back but they were exceptional that year.

Morzadec wrote: »
    United have only once before got over 90 points in a season before this season. I've said it time and time again, this myth that United were 'there for the taking' this year is just ridiculous as it does not correspond in any way to their very high points tally.

Yes United might have played poor at times this season, but when they did they usually managed to scrape a 1-0 win, or a last minute comeback like against Villa. You cant improve on 3 points I'm afraid. So if they're better next year, the only way they can improve on these results is by banging in a few extra goals and closing the gap on their inferior goal difference which this season, as well as almost every other season, had no effect whatsoever on the League table.

As has been pointed out, the League might be more competitive next year. Giggs is aging and will surely no longer be the best player in the Premiership (:rolleyes:), Tevez looks likely to be gone, Scholes looks like he is on the wane. Of course they might sign someone special, or Ronny might have another 42 goal season, but if you offered a United fan 90 points at the end of next season I would assume they would take it, and they'd be a fool not to. And this would be no improvement on what they achieved this season.

So whether United are better or not next year, for us I still think 90 points is the target. 90 points should be enough to guarantee the League, it'd be an odd set of circumstances if we reached such a high points tally and didn't win it.

So how close are we? We got 86 points this season. That's turning 2 draws into 2 wins. That's not too far at all.

Let's say the ref didn't disallow that goal against Stoke at home, and one of the many shots that hit the woodwork against Spurs away snuck in. That would've done it. (I'm not trying to if and but, and moan about bad luck costing us the League by any means, just trying to point out exactly how close it really was).

What I'm trying to illustrate is that this year we were good enough. We didn't do it but we could have; we were good enough. The width of a woodwork and the eyes of a linesman dosn't make us any worse of a team. We were right up there and there was very little to choose between us and United, and we could've done it this year. So while I would encourage squad improvements, I think the priority is hanging onto the key men (selling Xabi would be a disaster).

United will improve their squad and we must do likewise. But what I really want to point out is that in my opinion there is very little deficit (if any) that we have to make up in order to win the League, which has not been the case in years gone by.

Just read your post now.

Summed up perfectly.

Theres an awful lot of folk on here who rely heavily on stats to prove points. Stats have a purpose but they dont reflect alot of points either.

We had plenty of our own luck this season. Totally outplayed by boro at home for 80 mins, last gasp winner. Last gasp winner at city etc etc.

Versus united and chelsea, 12 points out of 12. (not claiming this as luck btw).

People are complimenting their stats, allthough its somewhat veiled, by assuming that these reoccurences will/could/should/possibly happen again.

It is clear what our strengths have been this season but we all have different views on how it can improve ie, our weaknesses. People keep harping on about 'we had the chances, we didnt take them' etc but its just my opinion that the current first XI would only improve by signing personell that make it difficult for players like (insert who you wish here) to get a game, thus making our current first teamers the back up.

In my view, arbeloa would have had to be bloody awful last season to see anyone challenge him at right back........does anyone want to see another calamity in the form of skyrtel there away at boro, eventually resulting in mascherano finishing the game there, and for many fans, our league challenge effectively ended that day.

Dirk has performed admirably in much of the season but do we have someone that can hurt the opposition left back with a bit of trickery and pace??, that unfortunately dirk doesnt have in abundance. It took a brutal 80 mins from dirk to result in the introduction of the much maligned babel at fulham to unearth yet another last gasp winner. Im not slating kuyt btw, im just stating, well....erm....fact, and that this position can also be improved upon.

It also occurred to me that with the exception of gerrard, we rarely have a midfielder who enters the opposition box with a late run......i think i can count on one hand the amount of times ive seen masch or alonso in and around the box, infact id say ive seen lucas in there more than both of them this season, i think this could also help in the finishing off of any jigsaw that might unearth the win in tight games............i think we can improve with this in our play, dare i say it, a cahill type player.

Gareth barry was never the answer for me, where thats concerned, and i think the fact that rafa has not been in touch with villa about him speaks volumes considering he was prepared to splash 18mil on him if he had his way last summer. I think rafa will freshen up the right side and attacking options this summer, at least i hope so anyway.

• Advertisement

God I'm fed up of Dirk not getting the respect he deserves.

Hate to go back to the facts again here but.....

Wayne Rooney.

Best player in the prem according to some.
    Saved UTD's season.
    One of the best in the world.
    Can do no wrong.

All Competitions

Games__________Goals____________Assists
    47______________17___________________12

Premiership Only

30______________12___________________7

Dirk Kuyt
    Barely a squad playeraccording to some.
    We need to improve.
    Terrible touch.
    He runs lots and lots is about the best you hear about him.

All Competitions

49______________16___________________10

Premiership Only

38______________12___________________8

But of course Dirk doesn't score important goals.

Like the winner against Citeh, the equaliser against Pompey, or the goal against Chelsea in the CL, Or the goal against Liege in the CL qualifiers.

And more telling, Dirk didn't pick up a single booking all season!
    Rooney got 9 yellows and a red!

I'm not trying to say that Dirk is better than Rooney, but he had a very similar campaign, to a player that a lot of UTD fans think was their player of the season, and their best player in general, and still we have Liverpool fans trying to replace him!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Petition

Anne Williams Is looking for your support...

http://www.m4j.co.uk/

international support

http://m4j.co.uk/March4Justice/International.html

Looking back over the last season, one thing comes to mind.

Boy am I glad we have Rafa!
    Here here. To think some "fans" where calling for his head not that long ago. I've said it a million times...what he's done given the squad he inherited and the money he's had it's nothing short of a miracle we are now serious contenders for the league. Should be a lot of happy days ahead once we get rid of the two American's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Highsider wrote: »
    Here here. To think some "fans" where calling for his head not that long ago. I've said it a million times...what he's done given the squad he inherited and the money he's had it's nothing short of a miracle we are now serious contenders for the league. Should be a lot of happy days ahead once we get rid of the two American's.

There were even people justifying the booing in Anfield whilst Liverpool were actually top of the league.

Idiots.

I'm not trying to say that Dirk is better than Rooney, but he had a very similar campaign, to a player that a lot of UTD fans think was their player of the season, and their best player in general, and still we have Liverpool fans trying to replace him!:rolleyes:

Oh god.. oh no.. why would you do it.... why would you extend an invitation to this thread out like that... we'll be swamped soon... aggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!

:eek:

God I'm fed up of Dirk not getting the respect he deserves.

Hate to go back to the facts again here but.....

Wayne Rooney.

Best player in the prem according to some.
    Saved UTD's season.
    One of the best in the world.
    Can do no wrong.

All Competitions

47______________17___________________12

Premiership Only

30______________12___________________7

Dirk Kuyt
    Barely a squad playeraccording to some.
    We need to improve.
    Terrible touch.
    He runs lots and lots is about the best you hear about him.

All Competitions

49______________16___________________10

Premiership Only

38______________12___________________8

But of course Dirk doesn't score important goals.

Like the winner against Citeh, the equaliser against Pompey, or the goal against Chelsea in the CL, Or the goal against Liege in the CL qualifiers.

Great post. Just shows you imo the influence of the media in England. I'd say a lot of it has to do with Rooney being the "best thing since sliced bread" and "the white pele" etc...A lot of people don't actually watch football with an open mind. They go into a match with their minds made up already on if the player is any use or not. Kuyt is a fantastic footballer afaik. there's a reason why Rafa has him in nearly every week you know;)

spockety wrote: »
    Oh god.. oh no.. why would you do it.... why would you extend an invitation to this thread out like that... we'll be swamped soon... aggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!

:eek:

You're right, allow me to edit and add clarification.

I'm not saying that Dirk is better than Rooney.
    I'm not saying that Rooney is better than Dirk (even though to be honest he is.)

I'm simply stating that Rooney is a striker being plyed on the left.
    Kuyt is a striker being played on the right.

And Rooney gets better support from his supporters than Kuyt sems to from some sections of the Anfield fatefull.

Kuyt has been amazing this season IMO.
    He's earned his spot on the right wing.
    His tireless work, and danger infront of the goals gives him the same kind of threat that you get from Rooney.
    Neither of them beat players with tricks, but they have commitment, strength, drive, and an eye for the killer pass/goal.

I don't want a replacement for Kuyt.

How many wingers score 16 goals and get 12 assists a season (none of the assists from taking corners).

What makes you think it will be tougher?

2006-2007 - Man Utd 89 Points
    2007-2008 - Man Utd 87 Points
    2008-2009 - Man Utd 90 Points

How exactly were Utd sh*te last season? They had their best season in years. If anything they're likely to get less points next season

Ah come on now. You can throw stats and figures at me saying how good united were but lets face it, united were far below there best on the pitch.

Fair play to them for grinding the results out in the last half of the season but thats what they did. While we blew teams out of the water ala Villa United were only a few minutes away from loosing to them nevermind beating them 5-0.

United werent good this season face it. Chelsea messed up in the middle and Arsenal were shocking at times.

They will be alot better (most likely) next season. You can throw more stats at me if you want, yes they got a great point tally. But theyll be back hammering teams and we are going to have to step up.

We did a great job against the top 4 this year. But next year will be alot tougher.

And as someone mentioned this is the first time Rafa has built a good SQUAD. Now its time to add a player that would walk into the starting 11.

Money however could be a major problem. When you see Chelsea bidding 76 million for the likes of Kaka....:(

Highsider wrote: »
    Great post. Just shows you imo the influence of the media in England. I'd say a lot of it has to do with Rooney being the "best thing since sliced bread" and "the white pele" etc...A lot of people don't actually watch football with an open mind. They go into a match with their minds made up already on if the player is any use or not. Kuyt is a fantastic footballer afaik. there's a reason why Rafa has him in nearly every week you know;)

IRWT

Dub13 wrote: »
    Petition

Anne Williams Is looking for your support...

http://www.m4j.co.uk/

international support

http://m4j.co.uk/March4Justice/International.html

Can't look at work, but will do as soon as I'm home.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement