Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

swalsh wrote: »
    I totally agree but I feel that this is going to be the formation in Belgium and possibly for the first pl game against Sunderland. As I said it is when we get our Olympians back that the headaches will really start and although it has been discussed both here and in the Barry thread I do believe that only good can come from Liverpool signing Barry

This will be the team for next week I'd say.

Torres

Benayoun
    Keane
    Kuyt

Plessis--Alonso

Dossena---Agger----Carra----Arbeloa

Reina

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

If Barry plays for Villa against FH in Finland next tuesday (2nd Uefa qualifying round) will that effect his eligabliity for CL with you guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Don't think playing uefa cup affects cl games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

If Barry plays for Villa against FH in Finland next tuesday (2nd Uefa qualifying round) will that effect his eligabliity for CL with you guys?

Yes afaik he would as this is Euro football proper.

Tusky wrote: »
    This will be the team for next week I'd say.

Torres

Benayoun
    Keane
    Kuyt

Plessis--Alonso

Dossena---Agger----Carra----Arbeloa

Reina

With the players we have atm I would agree. Wasn't that the starting lineup for tonights game?

• Advertisement

With the players we have atm I would agree. Wasn't that the starting lineup for tonights game?

I actually missed the game tonight as I was playing a game myself, so Ive no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Has Rafa given any indication whether or not he'll play Keane behind Torres with Gerrard on the right, or Gerrard behind Torres with Keane on the right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Just wondering, if Alonso is on the bench for the CL qualifier, does that mean he's cup tied whether he gets subbed or not?

No - being on the bench will not cup tie him. He has to get some game time. Or at least that was the case on 10/08/04 when a certain M Owen sat on the bench during our CL qualifier against GAK and went on to play for Real Madrid in the competition that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

PHB wrote: »
    Has Rafa given any indication whether or not he'll play Keane behind Torres with Gerrard on the right, or Gerrard behind Torres with Keane on the right?

I think he mentioned he could use keane on the right or behind Torres, so i guess him and Gerrard can interchange during matches.

Yes. Right after he signed Keane he said that he was versatile and could play in a number of positions. He mentioned playing him as one of the two in a 4-4-2, behind Torres in a 4-2-3-1 and also on the right in a 4-2-3-1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

If Barry plays in that game that will be the end of the'will he/won't he' saga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Yes afaik he would as this is Euro football proper.
    If Barry plays in that game that will be the end of the'will he/won't he' saga.

No.

In previous years yes, but this year, new legislation states that one tournament doesn't cup tie you from another in Europe.
    The UEFA and CL are completely separate now.

Anyone have Voronins goal?

[URL=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXCa04boldk[/URL]

Here you go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

No.

In previous years yes, but this year, new legislation states that one tournament doesn't cup tie you from another in Europe.
    The UEFA and CL are completely separate now.

good stuff, i had thought that for him to move we would have to leave him on the bench, Villa can only make one change to the submitted squad list and if your right that will be L.Young and Barry will play LB, as Young and Shorey arent on the list that was submitted on the 4th of August.

anyway this is the pool thread so ill leave at that and hope your right

good stuff, i had thought that for him to move we would have to leave him on the bench, Villa can only make one change to the submitted squad list and if your right that will be L.Young and Barry will play LB, as Young and Shorey arent on the list that was submitted on the 4th of August.

anyway this is the pool thread so ill leave at that and hope your right

I'm fairly positive.

Well Skrtel played in the UEFA Cup for Zenith last year, moved to us in January, and then played in the Champions League for us.

They changed it last year.
    It's some weird complicated ruling.
    Each club is allowed to do it once per season.

Weird!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

I know they're meaningless friendlies and all but it was great to see Voro's reaction to scoring. Shows intent IMO. Never seen him play irl and he was often disappointing last season but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt injuries and all. He's defo a great 4th choice striker.

Also by the sounds of it Alonso is getting stuck in. When I've seen him irl he's a genius but the past two years he's been disappointing. I'd really hate to be managing the team! Too many good players, too much potential, too many non-performers. Glad I'm just a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have to say whatever one thinks of his quality, booing is NOT ON! Great reposte from Voronin.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

both the times and guardian are reporting that the owners wont back rafa over the barry move.This is not good news and the last thing we need is another split just before the season starts.

I thought the rule for Euro comps was that it worked upwards.
    If you played in Inter-Toto, you could play for another team in the UEFA Cup or the CL.
    If you played for somebody in the UEFA cup, you could play for another team in the CL.
    If you played for somebody in the CL, you can't play for another team in the UEFA cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Hmm <strokes chin> Seems to be one of either Barry or a left-sided player from my reading of this article. - Rafa could be playing silly buggers though - the it's not about money comment ?

If I had £18m I'd be spending it on a proper left-sided player rather than Barry. I just don't see what marginal value Barry would add if we still have Alonso in the squad. Keep Alonso, and have Lucas as his understudy, in a midfield two alongside Masch, with Plessis as Masch's understudy. Flog Pennant, Voronin, Itandje. Spend the available cash improving the left side.

At least Rafa recognises left side is the weakest area - doesn't seem Babel is assured a first-team place with the "maybe he can do the job" comment. Also the mention of Aurelio disturbed me a little - I do not want to see him in games as our main left-sided attacking option.
    Benitez drops strong Barry hint

Barry has made it clear to Villa that he wants to leave for Anfield
    Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has indicated that Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry remains a serious target.

Benitez refused to name the England midfielder but would not say that the long-running transfer saga was over.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill conceded last week that his captain might leave but reports have suggested that a proposed fee of £18m was the sticking point.

"The situation is not a question of money," said Benitez after Liverpool beat Lazio 1-0 in a friendly on Friday.

"He is English and can play three different positions, but I am talking about someone who can play on the left."

Barry, 27, can play central midfield, on the left and left-back.

Xabi Alonso had long been expected to make way for the Englishman but he now looks set to stay at Anfield.

"We have a good player (Alonso) and we have another good player coming in soon.

"We can improve the squad, so we will try to do that. We will bring in one more player if we can.

"I do not know when but clearly we have problems on the left, Kewell has gone, Aurelio is injured and Leto cannot get a work permit.

"Babel is away in the Olympic Games. Maybe he can come back and fill that role, but I know we can improve in this area.

"Who comes in? It could be another left-sided player rather than a central midfielder.

"Maybe he can play in three different positions, that is a positive thing. I am talking about one player, but I won't say the name.
    "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/7550766.stm

• Advertisement

The Times reckons the deal is dead as G&H won't sanction the buy (even with a dig-out of 12 million from a Liverpool fan).

Mike.

Seems to me like Rafa wanted to get Barry as well as Alonso. Now however he has shifted to wanting a left sided attacker. If that's the case, then I think its a good move. Whether this came about due to Rafa changing his mind or G&H forcing him to is the interesting question.

From the Times article you could infer that Rafa wants to sign Barry and keep Alonso, considering that they attribute it partly to G&H thinking that they have too many central midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Seems to me like Rafa wanted to get Barry as well as Alonso. Now however he has shifted to wanting a left sided attacker. If that's the case, then I think its a good move. Whether this came about due to Rafa changing his mind or G&H forcing him to is the interesting question.

From the Times article you could infer that Rafa wants to sign Barry and keep Alonso, considering that they attribute it partly to G&H thinking that they have too many central midfielders.

I'd say Rafa always wanted to keep Alonso, but was probably told he needed to sell if he wanted Barry, something he agreed to but ultimately can't do.

The owners are looking at the business side, Rafa looking at it from the footballing side. Rafa has a right to be píssed off, but you can see it from the business side, the club are heavily in debt, and have forked out 20 million already last week.

Going down the route of getting loans off fans (big business men) is a dangerous thing to be doing, they were right to turn it down.

I think the fan might have been Sameer Al Ansari ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I would be ecstatic if Barry did not join. A very good left sided attacker and we have at least options and can play a few more formations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The owners undermimed the manager again, can't see this having a happy ending at all :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

zAbbo wrote: »
    The owners undermimed the manager again, can't see this having a happy ending at all :(
    link?
    or do you just mean that they didn't deliver - starting to expect that from them sadly...

I mean pulling the funds for Barry, and telling Rafa he has enough midfielders...

Maybe they are right, splashing cash on Barry and Keane while keeping Alonso is not wise spending at the moment.

ITV1 are showing Standard v Liverpool next wedneaday :)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd rather trust the judgement of Rafa than the two yanks when it comes to where our squad needs improvements.

Good to see Alonso on form and up for it. Hopefully he can kick on the transfer his pre-season form to the league.

I reckon this left-sided player Rafa is talking about is Downing. I can't think of any other left-sided English player who's within our grasp who could potentially improve the squad. He could be a good buy for us, considering our obvious financial constraints.

Boggles wrote: »
    but you can see it from the business side, the club are heavily in debt, and have forked out 20 million already last week.

Blah - we may have forked out 20m but we have brought almost the same back in with sales. Our net spend is tiny so far.
    Benitez drops strong Barry hint

Barry has made it clear to Villa that he wants to leave for Anfield
    Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has indicated that Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry remains a serious target.

Benitez refused to name the England midfielder but would not say that the long-running transfer saga was over.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill conceded last week that his captain might leave but reports have suggested that a proposed fee of £18m was the sticking point.

"The situation is not a question of money," said Benitez after Liverpool beat Lazio 1-0 in a friendly on Friday.

"He is English and can play three different positions, but I am talking about someone who can play on the left."

Barry, 27, can play central midfield, on the left and left-back.

Xabi Alonso had long been expected to make way for the Englishman but he now looks set to stay at Anfield.

"We have a good player (Alonso) and we have another good player coming in soon.

"We can improve the squad, so we will try to do that. We will bring in one more player if we can.

"I do not know when but clearly we have problems on the left, Kewell has gone, Aurelio is injured and Leto cannot get a work permit.

"Babel is away in the Olympic Games. Maybe he can come back and fill that role, but I know we can improve in this area.

"Who comes in? It could be another left-sided player rather than a central midfielder.

"Maybe he can play in three different positions, that is a positive thing. I am talking about one player, but I won't say the name."

Feck. That really sounds like he is buying Barry to play him on the left. I will bang my head against the wall if this happens. I have plenty of praise for Benitez, but one thing I will say, his record with buying attacking players is poor. He hasnt bought one top class wide player since hes been here...and hes been here 4 years. 4 seasons of Cisse, Gonzalez, Zenden, Riise, Pennant & Kuyt on the wings.

I really thought our biggest weakness was on the wings this year and I thought it would be the first position he would address. He may still prove me wrong. I hope so.

If we arent selling Alonso, dont buy Barry. Spend the money elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

I think Babel could do a decent job for us next season, it's a risk but buying Barry for the left, its alot of money. I personally think were more desperate for a right sided player. Both Pennant and Yossi can be great on their day but can be very inconsistant.
    Im also looking forward to seeing how our options at right full will get on next season, I wasn't convinced by Arbeloa last year, not a bad player but a long way off Finnan (at his best)

I'd take this
    to mean he's talking about Barry being able to play 3 positions, but he's talking about buying someone else for the LWF position, as he goes on to mentioned Babel's suitability to playing there.

I'd expect a 10m LWF to be coming in, and with the way things are going, Barry might not come this thransfer window.

zAbbo wrote: »
    I'd take this

to mean he's talking about Barry being able to play 3 positions, but he's talking about buying someone else for the LWF position, as he goes on to mentioned Babel's suitability to playing there.

I'd expect a 10m LWF to be coming in, and with the way things are going, Barry might not come this thransfer window.

I would agree, LM, CM and LB

Feck. That really sounds like he is buying Barry to play him on the left. I will bang my head against the wall if this happens. I have plenty of praise for Benitez, but one thing I will say, his record with buying attacking players is poor. He hasnt bought one top class wide player since hes been here...and hes been here 4 years. 4 seasons of Cisse, Gonzalez, Zenden, Riise, Pennant & Kuyt on the wings.

I get your point, but hardly fair to leave out Luis, Yossi and Babel.

All played on the wings, Luis had a great influence, Babel looked very promising, and Yossi has been very good IMO.

Also, Rafa didn't buy either Riise or Cisse.
    Plus Cisse's underuse was criminal.
    He scored more than a goal every second start for us.
    Mostly from the wing!

And lets not forget the fiasco that was Kewel!!!:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

he is definitley not talking about Barry imo - someone suggested Downing or Riera or Suarez. I think Suarez might be out of our price range but i wouldnt be surprised or disappointed with Downing, still not sure about Riera but he has burned his bridges at Espanyol.

I get your point, but hardly fair to leave out Luis, Yossi and Babel.

All played on the wings, Luis had a great influence, Babel looked very promising, and Yossi has been very good IMO.

Also, Rafa didn't buy either Riise or Cisse.
    Plus Cisse's underuse was criminal.
    He scored more than a goal every second start for us.
    Mostly from the wing!

And lets not forget the fiasco that was Kewel!!!:P

Benayoun is a great squad player. Garcia never played that well from the wing, hes more a second striker and Babel barely had an effect on games last year. He scored plenty of goals coming off the bench and alot of his goals came when we were 2 or 3 up already. He may develop into a top class wide player but he currently isnt one.

Lets say we do buy Barry and keep Alonso. Not including defense - select from below and make a formation on how this team will line out ?

Torres, Keane, Kuyt, Babel, Benayoun, Gerrard, Mascherano, Alonso, Barry, Lucas

Torres
    Keane
    Gerrard
    Barry
    ----Mascherano--Alonso

?

Benayoun is a great squad player. Garcia never played that well from the wing, hes more a second striker and Babel barely had an effect on games last year. He scored plenty of goals coming off the bench and alot of his goals came when we were 2 or 3 up already. He may develop into a top class wide player but he currently isnt one.

Lets say we do buy Barry and keep Alonso. Not including defense - select from below and make a formation on how this team will line out ?

Torres
    Keane
    Gerrard
    Barry
    ----Mascherano--Alonso

?

I'm mot disagreeing with you Tuskey, just pointing out that we have had some capable players on the wing, if nothing great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Torres
    Keane
    Gerrard
    Barry
    ----Mascherano--Alonso

?

Hasn't the Barry deal fallen through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Hasn't the Barry deal fallen through?

No one knows for sure. The press are reporting that it has but then they've reported that many times already this summer and also that it was more or less done many times. Barry appears to have been Rafa's main target this summer and I doubt he'll give up the chase too easily.

• Advertisement

What's the hard-on with wingers? Last year we played our system with Kuyt on the right and Babel on the left - neither operated as wingers, and both cut in.

Kuyt, for all the stick he got, was one of our best players in the 4-2-3-1. He defended from the front, had great interplay with the midfield and the attack, and scored his share of goals too - and important ones at that. The likes of Gerrard and Torres have both spoken very positively of the role he plays in the team.

Babel, too, did well when given a run of games. It was clear from the start that he had talent - he just lacked the physicality, the fitness levels and the experience to start every game at Liverpool. As the season went on, he too progressed. He played well and scored some important goals for us. It's unfortunate that he's away at the Olympics and thus misses our pre-season preparations, but he will surely come back a fitter, more experienced and stronger player.

I know I probably sound like a broken record at this stage, but we don't need wingers in the traditional sense. Torres prospers when the play is through the centre, and this suits our other strong creative players too.

We could spunk the cash on Queresma or Mancini, but it'll be a case of square pegs, round holes. They'll drag the play wide (away from our strongest players), ping crosses in to the box (where Torres wont compete with the premiership's central defenders for headers) and expose our full-backs (especially if we play Dossena and Degen/Finnan, who like to get forward).

I'd like to see a player who is comfortable playing centrally as opposed to hugging the touchline. It's a shame that we weren't in for VDV, but I guess he was out of our budget.

On Riera: I read recently that he has told Espanyol fans that he expects to play for them again next season.

What's the hard-on with wingers? Last year we played our system with Kuyt on the right and Babel on the left - neither operated as wingers, and both cut in.

Yep, and what did we win last season ?

I didnt say wingers, I said wide players. Try this, list the Liverpool team in order of how good the players are. (include Barry in this).

Gerrard
    Torres
    Mascherano
    Alonso
    Keane
    Barry
    Reina
    Carragher
    Agger
    Skrtel
    Babel
    Kuyt

etc etc

We are weak in the wide areas whatever way you look at it. All of our best players are down the center. Im not saying we necessarily need a touchline hugging winger, but some more quality in the wide areas wouldnt hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I didnt say wingers, I said wide players. Try this, list the Liverpool team in order of how good the players are. (include Barry in this).

Gerrard
    Torres
    Mascherano
    Alonso
    Keane
    Barry
    Reina
    Carragher
    Agger
    Skrtel
    Babel
    Kuyt

etc etc

We are weak in the wide areas whatever way you look at it. All of our best players are down the center. Im not saying we necessarily need a touchline hugging winger, but some more quality in the wide areas wouldnt hurt.

Reina is far more important that having robbie keane in the team IMO. Id stick him in after gerrard and torres. Unsung hero.

I wanted liverpool to sign bentley all season. Keanes a good siging but way over priced. Hes 28 and I cant see how hes worth 20 million....Spurs got bentley whos 22 a right winger ( where we are weak) and they got him for an inital 15 million....

joe123 wrote: »
    Reina is far more important that having robbie keane in the team IMO. Id stick him in after gerrard and torres. Unsung hero.

Well, its not really important what order they come in, I didnt put too much thought into it. The point was that ALL of our top players are in the center.

I can't wait until Alonso gets Cup-tied. Maybe this will all end. Please. :(

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    I can't wait until Alonso gets Cup-tied. Maybe this will all end. Please. :(

Mike.

Will he be cupped tied for just the Champions League or all European Comps?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Boggles wrote: »
    Will he be cupped tied for just the Champions League or all European Comps?

Just the Champions League.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Just the Champions League.

I don't think it will have too much bearing to be honest, it doesn't look like any of Champions leagues teams from Spain or Italy are in for him, so if he does move it could just be UEFA cup.

Did we finish so far off the pace to demand an overhaul of our playing style? I don't think so. We are, as ever, within touching distance of those above us. Lets save that argument for another day though! ;)
    I didnt say wingers, I said wide players.

My post wasnt directed at you specifically, so my apologies!

Anyway, I don't believe it's enough to look at the positions or our strongest players and then deduce where we need strengthening. It's very clear that our strongest players are in the centre (in defence, midfield and in attack).

No, you not only have to look at positions, but also at the style of play, the talents and the weaknesses of our individual players and of our squad as a whole.

It's pretty obvious to me that our current style of play and our current squad does not demand wingers, or 'wide-players'.

Babel and Kuyt are more often than not found towards the centre of the pitch, committing defensive midfielders and central defenders rather than fullbacks. Babel, has been mentioned countless times, cannot put in a decent cross. However, as has also been mentioned countless times, he has all the tools needed to grow in a 'Henry' type role, ie. attacking inside starting from a position on the left.

Kuyt, too, cannot cross. However, as Rafa would say, he has game intelligence. He is hugely mobile and will run and run - thus he is perfectly suited to drag the opposition's defence around in attack, and defend from the front when without the ball. Both are key roles in today's game, and Torres has stated that he owes much of his first season success to the work of Kuyt. If Kuyt were to be replaced by Mancini next season, both Torres and Gerrard would find themselves with an extra defender to deal with, and a lot less space.

So, neither of our 'wide' players can cross. That's not a major problem, because for all of Torres' height, he is not prolific from the air. He likes to receive the ball to feet, and he worked a fantastic partnership with Gerrard through the centre last season.

In selling Crouch, relegating Pennant to the reserves, and bringing in the vertically-challenged Keane, it is an indication that Rafa sees our goal threat not coming from wide areas, but rather from the interplay and movement between the lines of our attacking quartet.

Rafa has addressed our lack of width this summer already by bringing in Dossena and Degen. By all reports, neither offer anything over our existing squad defensively, and it's clear that they've been brought in to get forward and offer width in our attack, commit full-backs etc.

But I realise we may be arguing semantics here. I'm sure most Liverpool fans will agree that we need to sign an attacking midfielder, the grey area is exactly what qualities that player needs to have.

Did we finish so far off the pace to demand an overhaul of our playing style? I don't think so. We are, as ever, within touching distance of those above us. Lets save that argument for another day though! ;)

My post wasnt directed at you specifically, so my apologies!

Anyway, I don't believe it's enough to look at the positions or our strongest players and then deduce where we need strengthening. It's very clear that our strongest players are in the centre (in defence, midfield and in attack).

No, you not only have to look at positions, but also at the style of play, the talents and the weaknesses of our individual players and of our squad as a whole.

It's pretty obvious to me that our current style of play and our current squad does not demand wingers, or 'wide-players'.

Babel and Kuyt are more often than not found towards the centre of the pitch, committing defensive midfielders and central defenders rather than fullbacks. Babel, has been mentioned countless times, cannot put in a decent cross. However, as has also been mentioned countless times, he has all the tools needed to grow in a 'Henry' type role, ie. attacking inside starting from a position on the left.

Kuyt, too, cannot cross. However, as Rafa would say, he has game intelligence. He is hugely mobile and will run and run - thus he is perfectly suited to drag the opposition's defence around in attack, and defend from the front when without the ball. Both are key roles in today's game, and Torres has stated that he owes much of his first season success to the work of Kuyt. If Kuyt were to be replaced by Mancini next season, both Torres and Gerrard would find themselves with an extra defender to deal with, and a lot less space.

So, neither of our 'wide' players can cross. That's not a major problem, because for all of Torres' height, he is not prolific from the air. He likes to receive the ball to feet, and he worked a fantastic partnership with Gerrard through the centre last season.

In selling Crouch, relegating Pennant to the reserves, and bringing in the vertically-challenged Keane, it is an indication that Rafa sees our goal threat not coming from wide areas, but rather from the interplay and movement between the lines of our attacking quartet.

Rafa has addressed our lack of width this summer already by bringing in Dossena and Degen. By all reports, neither offer anything over our existing squad defensively, and it's clear that they've been brought in to get forward and offer width in our attack, commit full-backs etc.

But I realise we may be arguing semantics here. I'm sure most Liverpool fans will agree that we need to sign an attacking midfielder, the grey area is exactly what qualities that player needs to have.

I think you are misunderstanding me. Im not suggesting an overhaul in the way we play. When I refer to wide players, I refer to the roles that Babel and Kuyt played in last season...and also our full backs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement