Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Mr Alan wrote: »
    :D

*oh & btw, i aint slating Riera, i think he has been excellent for us in his first season!

So let me get this right mr.alan, riera has been excellent but my comment suggesting he has brought alot to the team is ridiculous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

daithijjj wrote: »
    So let me get this right mr.alan, riera has been excellent but my comment suggesting he has brought alot to the team is ridiculous?

nope.

your comment he has brought just as much to the team as dirk was ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Mr Alan wrote: »
    nope.

your comment he has brought just as much to the team as dirk was ridiculous.

Out of interest, how many levels above excellent are there in mr alan world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

I'd happily see Riera and Babel go to be honest. Can't agree that Riera has been good this season, never mind excellent. He started very well and I was delighted with him but since christmas I think he's been flat out poor. Now I'm sure people will throw in the goal against Villa or other snippets since christmas but does anyone else think that an out and out winger should be able to cross the ball??
    Oh and Dirk is a legend. (who actually can cross the ball) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Rieras contribution is the maximum you'd expect from an £8m winger. No more, no less.

Kuyts contribution is more than you'd expect from an £11m striker turned winger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I have to say I've been a Rieira fan this season as well. I didn't know much about him before we signed him - but he's offered a lot more than people give him credit for.

Fair enough he doesn't have pace, but makes up for it in other area's. His first touch is generally excellent, his passing is very good, he's a decent crosser of the ball, can beat players even without his pace as he has the skill - and bloody hell he can shoot.

Hopefully he settles more into the role next year, as I for one, wouldn't actually mind him as a first choice left winger.

If we played with a left winger, and an attacking right-wing forward with pace, we'd have plenty of options.

Not saying Dirk doesn't deserve his place in the side, but maybe thats an area where we could offer something different at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Ardent wrote: »

You may think that's harsh but I guarantee you, next season, Chelsea and Arsenal will not have campaigns as bad as they had in the season just gone. And United will surely strenghten again. If we don't improve on our problem positions this summer, will face the real possibility of going backwards maybe finishing 4th...or worse. Mark my words.

you cannot make a claim like that, arsenal finished on 72 points this year, two years ago they finished on 68 and the year before that 67. prior to joses arrival a chelsea fan would have given his right arm for 83 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

daithijjj wrote: »
    Ok karma, i dont really want to go round in circles over that stuff yesterday and i will just drop it, lets just agree to differ on where we can improve. If i just take one point you made in the last point last night, you suggested that left back is an area we can add/improve on......really????

Was the purchase of dossena and the best season for aurelio and insua not good enough??? These are 3 players for left back and you think we need more??? I watched insua at the u20 world cup and he was fantastic, i was inwardly imploring benitez to give him more of a shot when riise was playing rubbish, however, gary ablett in his wisdom, suggested he wasnt ready, perhaps this is a small reason of many that ablett has the p45 in his hand. Im pretty sure im not alone in thinking left back is one area we have plenty in the squad but you have suggested otherwise and would spend the same "limited funds" here.

You have also suggested that left wing can be added/improved upon!!!!! We have agreement here, but i would argue that riera has brought just as much to the table as dirk this season. Has he not???? Im surprised at your 'lack of respect' for rieras contribution....:P:P.

Karma, it is not a lack of respect to suggest that both dirk and riera lack a bit of pace in counter attack mode, its just an observation and we can just agree to differ here if this is the case. Im not going to shy away from my view that i think we can add something at right wing forward and i doubt you will shy away from where you think we can improve. I appreciate your efforts in this thread as they are mostly not the one-line smartass ripostes and you have also enveloped your particular views under an umbrella of reasoning, we just have different views, group hug:pac::p;), and lets move on.

I agree man, as you said we're going in circles, we should just agree to disagree and move on.
    Luckily for Liverpool, neither of us is making the dicisions.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Diggy78 wrote: »
    I'd happily see Riera and Babel go to be honest. Can't agree that Riera has been good this season, never mind excellent. He started very well and I was delighted with him but since christmas I think he's been flat out poor. Now I'm sure people will throw in the goal against Villa or other snippets since christmas but does anyone else think that an out and out winger should be able to cross the ball??
    Oh and Dirk is a legend. (who actually can cross the ball) :D

just out of interest have you been to many games? The reason i ask is that Rieara is constantly running looking for the ball but you dont see alot of this on TV. His touch is excellent and he can whip in a decent ball. I wouldnt be quick to sell him as i think he's well capable of doing a job for us.

A team wasnt built in a day and the more chopping and changing we do the worse, as it takes time for players to gain an understanding of each other. The first 11 last year played more or less consistently when fit and the more games they played the better the performance.

Babel i would agree with.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I actually think Riera has done fantastic this season folks.
    I was expecting a lot less from him from what I read on here.

The left was one of the weakest sides we had to address. Riera is a pretty good stop gap for a couple of years while we balance other areas.

• Advertisement

Babel will be a top, top, player.
    Whether at Liverpool or not, I don't know.
    It may be too late.

I hope to christ he gets another season however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

It may be too late.

doubt it,anytime ive seen him play he does exactly the same thing as the previous time
    loses the ball.useless. i remember when he was signed first,i saw the videos from youtube n thought oh looks like a great player.shame he isnt.looks like rafa saw the same video and signed him on the basis of that.time to get rid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ah, more youthful wisdom. I love summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

anplaya wrote: »
    doubt it,anytime ive seen him play he does exactly the same thing as the previous time
    loses the ball.useless. i remember when he was signed first,i saw the videos from youtube n thought oh looks like a great player.shame he isnt.looks like rafa saw the same video and signed him on the basis of that.time to get rid.

Bit harsh on Babel I think.

There are a number of players in the squad that have this "frustrating but promising" tag hanging around their necks.

Here's hoping Babel and Silva (;)) have a belter of a battle for the right position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

There are a number of players in the squad that have this "frustrating but promising" tag hanging around their necks.

Here's hoping Babel and Silva (;)) have a belter of a battle for the right position.

Looks like Riera not going to get a game then. If we do get Silva (not sure I want him) then Babel will be going.

Fromvert wrote: »
    Looks like Riera not going to get a game then. If we do get Silva (not sure I want him) then Babel will be going.

Well I was trying to say that Riera has kinda established himself, with a bit of competition from Yossi, on the left hand side; its up to Babel now to buck up.

Both Babel and Silva(;)) would be competing for that place. Unless Babel is pushed up front.

Kyut
    Gerard
    Babel

Torres

If Torres is rested:

Kyut
    Gerard
    Silva (;))

Babel

Could work..

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

If we get Silva I would prefer to see riera going instead of babel as he is still only 22. One more season hopefully.

Has Agger ever played as a left back? I would love to see him slot in there and see how he does as hes a great at getting forward and hes got a great shot

Dont know if this was posted:

Kleber quiet on Liverpool deal

Cruzeiro forward Kleber has said that he does not want to answer any more questions about a possible move to Liverpool with his club insisting that they want to keep him.

The 25-year-old has been persistently linked with a move to Anfield for the 2009/10 season.

"I don't want to talk about this anymore. It's getting boring. If I play badly in a couple of days, the fans will start saying I want to quit," he said to Radio Globo BH.

"If I had an offer and if it's profitable for both me and Cruzeiro, my agent (Giuseppe Dioguardi) and (club president) Zeze (Perrella) will try to sort it out."

Club spokesman Guilherme Mendes said that Kleber will not leave the Mineirao for less than 15million euros.

Kleber was signed by the Belo Horizonte side from Dynamo Kiev earlier this year in a swap deal for forward Guilherme which saw the Ukrainian side pay an additional 5million euros.

Mendes said: "Firstly, Cruzeiro have no interest in negotiating for forward Kleber. He was signed and inked a long-term contract with the club and Cruzeiro expect he will win a number of titles in our shirt.

"Neither Cruzeiro nor the player's agent have been made an offer from any European club at this time. There have only been discussions between the player's agent and Zeze about what would happen if a 7million euro offer was made.

"Cruzeiro told him that the club would not discuss any offers of less than 15million euros."

Kleber has scored 19 goals in 21 appearances for Cruzeiro.

May need to mute them...

NoelJ wrote: »

Has Agger ever played as a left back? I would love to see him slot in there and see how he does as hes a great at getting forward and hes got a great shot

I think he has for the national team. Did pretty well iirc.

harsh but true.doesnt look any different a player to his first season at the club.

• Advertisement

anplaya wrote: »

Well seeing as I've seen him play a number of times, live, for Liverpool, Ajax, and the Dutch under age teams.
    And have followed his career since he first debuted for Ajax, as have many of the worlds biggest managers, I'll have to disagree.

Babel was one of the players of the tournament in the 2007 UEFA 21's tournament in 2007, including being MOM in the final.

Babel hasn't shown much for Liverpool, but if he can sort out his attitude, he'll be amazing.

He's a little more than a video on Youtube.

Well seeing as I've seen him play a number of times, live, for Liverpool, Ajax, and the Dutch under age teams.
    And have followed his career since he first debuted for Ajax, as have many of the worlds biggest managers, I'll have to disagree.

Babel was one of the players of the tournament in the 2007 UEFA 2i's tournament in 2007, including being MOM in the final.

Babel hasn't shown much for Liverpool, but if he can sort out his attitude, he'll be amazing.

He's a little more than a video on Youtube.

yeah exactly hes shown promise for every one else,bar the club were talking about.mind you the dutch league is weaker the the english premier league by a long way.

he simply isnt good enough for liverpool the way hes currently playing,simple as that.send him off on loan to another premier league club ,on a 3-6 month contract and see how he does there.if hes as good a ya say,liverpool will welcome him back with open arms,if not toe up the hole and send him on his way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This is a disgrace,I got one of these letters today.

Loyal Supporters? Casualties of Greed
    This morning the new Liverpool Commercial Director, Ian Ayre, sent a letter out to all 10,000 Liverpool fans that have signed up to the Priority Ticket Scheme (PTS) informing them that the scheme is to be disbanded for next season. This is a scheme that costs each fan £55 each year to join for the "privilege" of having access to 5,000 tickets for each game at Anfield. In theory, giving each PTS member a 50% chance of a ticket for each game.

This scheme has been in place for a number of years now, with the reasons given for disbanding is being:

1. 25% of the PTS membership didn't purchase a single ticket last season
    2. 50% of the PTS membership purchased tickets for 3 games or less last season

What he failed to mention in his letter or consider in his decision making, is that means 5,000 of the membership attended 3 games or less; therefore the remaining 5,000 must be purchasing the 5,000 tickets every single week. Those 5,000 fans have been turning up every week for years for midweek games against Fulham and Portsmouth, as well as the bigger and more glamorous fixtures.

Their reward for that loyalty?

Having the scheme scrapped and being told they are now being placed into a new "Belong" scheme which already has 50,000 signed up members; so are now going to be fighting with over 50,000 other fans for those same 5,000 tickets. The "Belong" scheme is open to anybody, as long as you pay the £29 subscription fee every year. So any of you reading this could sign up and stand an equal chance of a ticket as somebody who hasn't missed a game at Anfield in years. It stinks.

Ian Ayre even signed off his letter with "thank you for your loyalty and support". Oh the irony.

A few calculations.

10,000 members paying £55 each = £550,000
    60,000 members paying £29 each = £1,740,000

That's an extra £1.2m in additional revenue for the club each season just for giving fans the right to apply for a ticket.

Anfield currently has around 27,000 season ticket holders in a ground that holds 45,000. Take away 3,000 for away fans and that leaves around 15,000 tickets on sale for every game. The club don't want the same 40,000 turning up every week. They want outsiders that'll turn up once or twice a season and empty their wallets in the club shop.

5,000 of those remaining 15,000 are put aside for the PTS scheme, thousands more allocated to supporters clubs all over the country, with whatever is left going on general sale to fancard holders. How the ticket / touting agencies all over Europe get their tickets is for another time.

Liverpool linked up with Thomas Cook last season to offer fans "packages" including match tickets and a hotel at a vastly inflated price. Booking the hotel yourself and buying your own ticket would cost you around £80. Book the same hotel and be supplied your match ticket though Thomas Cook and you'll be charged over £150. Legalised touting with LFC supplying the tickets? One rule for one...

Year upon year we see the make up of the fan base change. More and more corporates. More and more "new fans" wanting to sample the Anfield experience. More and more of those fans that create that atmosphere and experience being driven from the ground. This is yet another kick in the teeth for those 5,000 fans that have been going to Anfield week in week out for the past few years, who'll now have around a 1 in 10 chance of a ticket for a home game next season. A lot just won't bother.

But what do the club care? They have 50,000 fans signed up to that scheme and will sell those tickets regardless.

Sooner or later Anfield will just be another football ground. Anfield is famous worldwide for it's unique atmosphere and support. "We are the famous Kopites". Well those Kopites will soon be gone and replaced with yet more "spectators" turning up to be entertained. Only there'll be nobody left to entertain them but the 11 men on the pitch. Maybe then the club will have to revert to mascots, whipping up the crowd over the PA and handing out plastic flags to manufacture that atmosphere like has happened at other clubs all over the country.

Anfield still has an identity. It still has a soul.

Is an extra £1.2m a year worth losing that?

Someone seems to think so.

Paul Jones

I'm feeling physically sick reading that.
    :mad:

This has to be stopped.

Well I was trying to say that Riera has kinda established himself, with a bit of competition from Yossi, on the left hand side; its up to Babel now to buck up.

Both Babel and Silva(;)) would be competing for that place. Unless Babel is pushed up front.

Kyut
    Gerard
    Babel

Torres

If Torres is rested:

Kyut
    Gerard
    Silva (;))

Babel

Could work..

But doesnt get a look in:confused:

I'm feeling physically sick reading that.
    :mad:

This has to be stopped.

It sure is,Ian Ayre is only in the job a few days,I and a lot of other people had high hopes for him (I know a few people who were in meetings with him while he was pushing for the job,and he can talk the talk) but he is making a lot of enemy's doing this.

If this PTS decision is not changed it will be European aways and EPL aways for me next season,fcuk me if Ian Ayre thinks I am going to Q up with 50,000 other people to get tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

shameful.

SlickRic wrote: »
    shameful.

It is,I have already booked 5/6 flights for next season now to be told I will have a 1 in 10 chance of a ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

It may be too late.

I disagree. All the top players get their head up and can pass the ball. I'd say Babel is poor at both.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

All this chat about Babbel reminded me of something ive been thinking all season long.
    First off im a Rafa fan, i have faith in him.
    Look how close he got us to the holy grail,players hes been on about for so long like Dirk and Yossi have done the business like he said they would.
    But one thing i wonder with Rafa is his ability to bring on younger players and turn them into great players like Ferguson and Wenger have done in the past.
    All season long i wonder if Babbel would have flourished under the wing of the 2 managers i meantioned?
    I realise its early in Babbels premiership career but somehow i get the feeling hed have improved a lot by now at Arsenal of manc, am i wrong?
    Part of me says yes he would have the rest of me says no give him time under rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Dub13 wrote: »
    It is,I have already booked 5/6 flights for next season now to be told I will have a 1 in 10 chance of a ticket.

that's ridiculous man.

and this the stone cold reality of it; true fans will not get to see and support their team in person.

and for such a relatively paltry increase in revenue too.

sickening, just sickening.

Dub13 wrote: »
    It sure is,Ian Ayre is only in the job a few days,I and a lot of other people had high hopes for him (I know a few people who were in meetings with him while he was pushing for the job,and he can talk the talk) but he is making a lot of enemy's doing this.

I really don't think they understand in the slightest.

A vocal and vociferous responce has to be made to this.
    I was never even on the PTS, but knew some who were, and also through IK got some tickets.

They really have no idea that te regulars are what makes Anfield, Anfield.

Some one should sit ayre dow in the Kop, and then sit him down in the Annie Road end.

See if he notices the difference.

Highsider wrote: »
    I disagree. All the top players get their head up and can pass the ball. I'd say Babel is poor at both.

Yes, cause all top players are brilliant at every aspect of football?

Babel has never found his rhythm in English fooball.
    Personal problems, and a lack of games.

He will.

Just another step in ripping the soul out of our club:mad: It's happening everywhere TBH. Was'nt it at Portsmouth that they banned that guy who rang the bell who is their number 1 fan? Fella in the centenary stand was told to "sit down and stop making a racket" by a stewart at the Stoke home game last season. He then proceeded to walk out of the ground. I alway's wondered if he ever wil bother coming back.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    All this chat about Babbel reminded me of something ive been thinking all season long.
    First off im a Rafa fan, i have faith in him.
    Look how close he got us to the holy grail,players hes been on about for so long like Dirk and Yossi have done the business like he said they would.
    But one thing i wonder with Rafa is his ability to bring on younger players and turn them into great players like Ferguson and Wenger have done in the past.
    All season long i wonder if Babbel would have flourished under the wing of the 2 managers i meantioned?
    I realise its early in Babbels premiership career but somehow i get the feeling hed have improved a lot by now at Arsenal of manc, am i wrong?
    Part of me says yes he would have the rest of me says no give him time under rafa.

And how has Nani fourished under Fergie?
    And to some extent Walcot for Wenger?
    (Walcot hasn't shown anything near to what he's capable and Wenger's had him 3 years).

Nani has been nothing this year.

Babel just doesn't understand how young he is, and is impatient.
    He's a kid.
    Very, very, few wingers are great in their early 20's.
    (Unless you're Messi).
    Usually they're 24-6 before they hit their stride.
    If Babel has patience, an Rafa isn't forced to cash in, big things will happen to him in Liverpool.

Rafa has plenty of experience with young players.
    (Insua;))

He will.
    I hope he does Karmafaerie. I'll get behind him at every game next season if he's still here like every fan should but still imo he's gone backwards if anything last season. I can't figure out if it's a lack of confidence or if he plain just is'nt good enough. He just about deserves another season if only because of the winner against the mancs last year.:)

He will.

Do you not think there could be a reason Rafa is not giving him games?
    Not good enough maybe.

But doesnt get a look in:confused:

They would sample formations without Riera...

First Team:

Kyut
    Gerrard
    Riera

Torres

Second Team:

Kyut
    Gerrard
    Babel/Silva

Torres

or

Kyut
    Gerrard
    Silva

Babel

Dont know, it just seems a waste to me having three players for the one postion.

• Advertisement

Dont know, it just seems a waste to me having three players for the one postion.

Man we easily need that amount. Plus if we do get Silva (i almost think he's part of the team now:() his role will be much more interchangeable with Torres and Gerrard.

Riera doesn't do that. Babel to an extent but he needs a lot more games.

No way do we need three players for the left side. If we do get Silva, 9/10 times he will be playing on the left (coming in, but still on the left) with Gerrard and Torres up top. So we then need Babel and Riera as back up? Nah dont see it to be honest.

SlickRic wrote: »
    that's ridiculous man.

and this the stone cold reality of it; true fans will not get to see and support their team in person.

and for such a relatively paltry increase in revenue too.

sickening, just sickening.

Also the big fear a lot of people have is the extra 5k tickets that will pop us as a result of the PTS been scraped are meant to go back into the general sale,I say they will stick 2k in for the general sale and the other 3k will go to corporate or some match day package via a travel agent.

It looks like they don't want the same crowed every week,what they want is somebody that saves up goes to a game once/twice a season and spends £200 in the club shop.

50,000 people on the membership scheme from last season that figure is going to go through the roof now.They were fighting for scraps last season,they'll be in the same boat as everyone now fighting for 5,000 tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Has everyone forgotten Benayoun??

Arguably our best player in the run in (certainly one of the top 5), banging in goals and beating defenders, always looking dangerous.

As far as I'm concerned he's in our starting XI come the new season and it'll be up to Riera, Babel or whoever we bring in to displace him.

Although I'm aware that Riera provides more natural width as a left sided player. I'm a fan of his and I think he had a good first season considering how much we paid for him.

It depends on the match and type of opposition, but at the moment Benny gets my vote if he keeps up his form

I rate Yossi highly, but i see him as a right sided player more then a left sided one. Although he is more then capable of playing there as he proved this season. So i see him and Kuyt as our right side options with Riera or Babel and a new signing being our left side options.

I dont see the reason for having any more then two right sided players and the same goes for the left. So if Rafa brings in a left sided player (which i think he will) then Babel/Riera will probably have to be moved on and I see that player being Babel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I rate Yossi highly, but i see him as a right sided player more then a left sided one. Although he is more then capable of playing there as he proved this season. So i see him and Kuyt as our right side options with Riera or Babel and a new signing being our left side options.

I dont see the reason for having any more then two right sided players and the same goes for the left. So if Rafa brings in a left sided player (which i think he will) then Babel/Riera will probably have to be moved on and I see that player being Babel.

Agreed.

Good thing about Yossi is that he can play the Gerrard role as well.

What we might well see if we do bring in Silva, is Yossi and Silva switching flanks. I see no point bringing in an exclusively left sided midfielder though. We probably need more quality/numbers in these attacking positions to challenge on all fronts, so I would hope that whoever is brought in has a bit of versatility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

can i ask wheres this silva talk coming from ?

No where, people like to bring him up alot for some reason.

Headshot wrote: »
    can i ask wheres this silva talk coming from ?

We have been linked with silva for ages. Apparently Rafa wants to meet in person.
    It emerged last night that the Liverpool boss is pursuing Spain international winger david Silva with some vigour, and met with him in their native country earlier this week.

Silva told his fellow Spaniard that he would love to play in the Premier League, but there is still the stumbling block of the fee his club Valencia are demanding.

Benitez would pay around £17million for the 23 year old, but if his heavily indebted Spanish side try to spark an auction with the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona, then he will pull out of the bidding.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/06/04/liverpool-interested-in-middlesbrough-flop-tuncay-115875-21413150/

I know its the mirror but this is a gossip/rumours thread ;)

I think he would be a great buy.

I'm hoping that babel will get more of a striking role this year, in which case we do need another winger :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

No we are very much interested and he's been teased alot since rafa's been here more or less,
    but saying that I'd be shocked if we get him, asbsolutely shocked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement