Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Fromvert wrote: »
    No where, people like to bring him up alot for some reason.

right
    Headshot wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

right

Kaka:
    "I want to tell the millions of Milan fans that I have made my choice. I have said I want to stay, now leave me alone please. Write it. I want to stay with Milan and from today this issue is over. I will say it for the last time, the last time. I don't want to leave Milan."

Looks like he is to me.

Kaka:

Looks like he is to me.

but thats not a done deal yet mate

i hope it doesnt come back and bite you in the ass ;)

but being serious I never said he wouldnt come but my link did prove the mirror wrong

shocker :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

What about Gareth Barrys quest for Champions League football?How he'd only consider leaving Villa for that.....City? Champions League?

Or Berbatov & his dream move to Newcastle?

Or countless other footballers who say something that a year or two later proves in fact not to be the case.

Ah all these things are to be taken with a pinch of salt...what else are we to do when there is no soccer on.

I'm still hoping Aguero is our surprise signing and I've nothing to base it on what-so-ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Im hoping we sign Messi to be honest, have nothing to back it up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

mayordenis wrote: »
    No we are very much interested and he's been teased alot since rafa's been here more or less,
    but saying that I'd be shocked if we get him, asbsolutely shocked.

I would be very surprised if we get him as well. Unfortunately I just don't think we have the funds to bring him in. You never know though, the amount we have been linked to him over the last 18 months or so would suggest he is near the top of Rafa's wishlist. But this is irrelavant if Valencia are looking for 20m+ which they probably are.

I'm expecting a signing in one of these attacking positions though. Tuncay looks a more realistic option. And to be honest if Kuyt and Benayoun play the way they played at the end of the season then maybe it is only a squad signing rather than a top signing that should be prioritised, given the likely funds available.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    What about Gareth Barrys quest for Champions League football?How he'd only consider leaving Villa for that.....City? Champions League?

Or Berbatov & his dream move to Newcastle?

Or countless other footballers who say something that a year or two later proves in fact not to be the case.

jebus Alan i never said he wouldnt go to liverpool all did was get a quotes from the horses mouth

the way city are looking they'll be up there competing for a CL place,well berba doesnt want to play in the Championship and newcastle never really showed any interest did they

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

i'm hearing strong rumours on other forums that Silva is set to sign for Madrid. There were some Spanish newspaper articles i couldn't be bothered to track down. 20m apparently.

• Advertisement

i'm hearing strong rumours on other forums that Silva is set to sign for Madrid. There were some Spanish newspaper articles i couldn't be bothered to track down. 20m apparently.
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/06/04/1305822/real-madrid-interest-is-good-for-me-and-valencia-david-silva
    David Silva believes that interest from Real Madrid is not only good for himself, but also for his current club Valencia too.

The winger's agent was reportedly in the Spanish capital today talking to Madrid officials, and it seems as though Silva could be on the verge of a move to the Bernabeu this summer.

Speaking this evening about the situation, Silva did little to dampen any speculation regarding a move, but said he knows nothing about it.

"I do not know about anything that has happened because I have been at my home in Canarias and I have not spoken to my agent," El Mundo Deportivo quote him as saying.

"Valencia should not worry though. The fact that a team like Real Madrid is interested is good for Valencia and for me.

"For now, I am focused on the national team, I expect that everything will turn out well. It is an honour that a team like Real Madrid are interested, but for the time being, I am with Valencia."

The news comes on the same night that Vicente Soriano stepped down as president of Valencia, leaving Vicente Silla in charge of the club.

Aside from los Che though, Silva also spoke about his fitness for the Spanish national team and said he wants to play in the Confederations Cup.

"I am feeling better. Three weeks ago I had to stop, but now I will start to play, to enter the group and to be at the disposal of the coach," he said.

"I am not ruling out playing in the Confederations Cup. It is an exciting competition. We have many desires and I want to be fit to try and win it. Next week I will be 100 per cent."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I'm still hoping Aguero is our surprise signing and I've nothing to base it on what-so-ever
    Fromvert wrote: »
    Im hoping we sign Messi to be honest, have nothing to back it up though.
    Think Liverpool may be aiming slightly lower than that given their shaky financial situation. Maybe that Leon Best lad is available? Or Marlon Harewood.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article6433469.ece#cid=OTC-RSS&attr=796995

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

prendy wrote: »
    just out of interest have you been to many games? The reason i ask is that Rieara is constantly running looking for the ball but you dont see alot of this on TV. His touch is excellent and he can whip in a decent ball. I wouldnt be quick to sell him as i think he's well capable of doing a job for us.

A team wasnt built in a day and the more chopping and changing we do the worse, as it takes time for players to gain an understanding of each other. The first 11 last year played more or less consistently when fit and the more games they played the better the performance.

Babel i would agree with.

Hey Prendy, I've only made it over to 4 games this season and the first was actualy before Riera arrived so I dont doubt your point about him running constantly. I never said though that I questioned his work ethic, nor would I question his touch. I am still to be convinced that he can actually deliver quality on a regular enough basis. Honestly, it's always the part of his game that infuriates me.

I was taking the piss at the other quote you posted. Leon Best is too good for us think City/Chelsea/Real are all putting together £50m+ bids thats us out so.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Surprised (well actually, no I'm not) that this £40m loss is making such big news. How much has Roman Abramovich lost this season? The Glaziers? Mike Ashley (lol)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

BBC wrote:
    The parent company of Liverpool FC, owned by Tom Hicks and George Gillett, lost £42.6m in the year to August 2008.

The loss was mainly due to the £36m of interest payments that Kop Football Holdings had to make to service the debt taken on to buy the club.

Its auditors warned that the need to refinance loans by 24 July cast "significant doubt" on the future of the group as a going concern.

But they added the club's owners were confident they would secure the funds.

The US owners bought Liverpool in February 2007, promising to build a new stadium.

Player sales

In their accounts, they say they are "committed to building a new stadium and actively seeking funding to complete the project".

But they admit that "the opening of the new stadium will be delayed until 2012".

The parent company's loss came despite the £10.2m pre-tax profit reported by the football club in the same period.

The profit was helped by increased television revenues and the sale of players such as Peter Crouch, John Arne Riise and Scott Carson.

The results for the parent company showed net debt on 31 July 2008 of £300m.

I'm suprised the net debt is that low actually would have thought it was much higher

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This news was covered here several pages back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

can i ask wheres this silva talk coming from ?

No, no you can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Diggy78 wrote: »
    Hey Prendy, I've only made it over to 4 games this season and the first was actualy before Riera arrived so I dont doubt your point about him running constantly. I never said though that I questioned his work ethic, nor would I question his touch. I am still to be convinced that he can actually deliver quality on a regular enough basis. Honestly, it's always the part of his game that infuriates me.

i think he will be a big player next year, like kuyt this term. If we can get 7-10 goals from each of the wide men. Benni kuyt and riera it would really make a huge difference to our campaign.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Some quotes from Andrea Dossena that may cause champagne corks to pop in these parts.
    Dossena wrote:
    "I have talked to [Rafael] Benitez. He is a wonderful person and has understood my problem," Dossena told Tuttosport.

"He told me that if they receive an offer that satisfies both the club and me, he will facilitate my transfer. I would run to Juve. They showed interest in me last year, but then Liverpool stepped in and wrapped things up in less than an hour.

"In England they play continuously and the hardest training session does not last more than 40 minutes, but I need to train longer.

"Now I truly hope to join Juve and start a new life."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

ah the Doss man, who chipped Van Der Sar at Old Trafford :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

spockety wrote: »
    Some quotes from Andrea Dossena that may cause champagne corks to pop in these parts.

And just when he was starting to show some promise. Meh, let Rafa shake Juve by the ankles, if he generates a decent transfer fee (preferably our money back) then it's fine with me..

Well thats good enough for me, now we can sign Heinze! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Read somewhere before that Dossena's missus had already gone back to Italy as she just didn't like it in the uk and that he was likely to follow - that was a month or so ago.

mike65 wrote: »

I hope thats a joke because
    i) tbh Heinze has been pretty poor when iv seen him play for Real.
    ii) we have Aurelio and Insua for that position. We dont need another LB

Zezinho deal agreed

Liverpool have beaten Manchester United, Arsenal, and Chelsea to the signature of Brazil Under-17 superstar Zezinho, according to reports in South America.

The two footed attacking midfielder can play anywhere down the left side, and was one of the stars of the Under-17 Championships that Brazil won.

Zezinho is currently plying his trade in Brazil’s second division with Juventude, but he has been monitored by some of the biggest club’s in Europe, including Barcelona and Real Madrid in addition to the Premier League’s ‘Top Four’.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/05/29/liverpool-fc-rumour-mill-aguero-battle-joined-zezinho-deal-fernandez-on-move-johnson-linked-doddena-to-juventus-92534-23744765/

Never seen him play, but what a name!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Highsider wrote: »
    I hope he does Karmafaerie. I'll get behind him at every game next season if he's still here like every fan should but still imo he's gone backwards if anything last season. I can't figure out if it's a lack of confidence or if he plain just is'nt good enough. He just about deserves another season if only because of the winner against the mancs last year.:)

I've been very dissapointed. With Babel this year.
    Still hopes he gets another chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

mike65 wrote: »

:pac:

Heinze is rubbish now, well past it at this stage.

Smegball wrote: »
    :pac:

Heinze is rubbish now, well past it at this stage.

certainly for player of the year next season so!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

certainly for player of the year next season so!:P

More chance of Anderson winning golden boot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Zezinho deal agreed

Liverpool have beaten Manchester United, Arsenal, and Chelsea to the signature of Brazil Under-17 superstar Zezinho, according to reports in South America.

The two footed attacking midfielder can play anywhere down the left side, and was one of the stars of the Under-17 Championships that Brazil won.

Zezinho is currently plying his trade in Brazil’s second division with Juventude, but he has been monitored by some of the biggest club’s in Europe, including Barcelona and Real Madrid in addition to the Premier League’s ‘Top Four’.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/05/29/liverpool-fc-rumour-mill-aguero-battle-joined-zezinho-deal-fernandez-on-move-johnson-linked-doddena-to-juventus-92534-23744765/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDUbUiACrgs

About 55 seconds into the clip he scores, good goal too.

And look at one of the comments below, 6 days ago, and he say's Zezinho is coming to LFC.....

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

We going to find out what is the best option for us as oversea's fan's. Will it be worth emailing local RBS groups in Ireland and let them see that they just won't be effected in the UK it will be everywere.

Everybody needs to row in behind this.

Every top team should have a "nho" playing for them! :)

And yes clearly I was joking about Beinze Meinze Heinze

i'd imagine the best bet would be the RBS one in London?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i'd imagine the best bet would be the RBS one in London?

ya one all out assault is better than various regions targeting their local area.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1191108/Talk-Liverpool-financial-meltdown-totally-wide-mark-claims-Anfield-insider-Barca-line-22m-unsettled-midfielder-Mascherano.html

Anfield responds to the liverpool financial issue. The source isn't the best but there's interesting responses from the Spirit of Shankley group toward the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1191108/Talk-Liverpool-financial-meltdown-totally-wide-mark-claims-Anfield-insider-Barca-line-22m-unsettled-midfielder-Mascherano.html

Anfield responds to the liverpool financial issue. The source isn't the best but there's interesting responses from the Spirit of Shankley group toward the end.

Just to show how accurate it is.....
    and team-mate Xabi Alonso with a £20m move to eal Madrid.

Midfielder Alonso is a reported £23m target for Real Madrid

Ignoring the fact that I've never heard of "Eal Madrid", they can't seem to make their mind up at all!

Usual crap.
    the fact that the Yanks aren't worried in the slightest speaks volumes.

Also, I love the way that over the last few months both Hicks and Gillete have publically came out and said that they are selling off their American sports holdings, but now the "experts" come out and suggest that they may hae to sell them!

It's like saying that you think it might rain in the middle of a downpour!!!:confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Lads, whats the story with Leto?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11096_5364858,00.html

Not sure if thats been posted but its interesting none the less. I wish the two americans ****ed off. July 24th is deadline day for them apparently.

Im worried this could hold up Rafa and his transfer dealings :mad:

• Advertisement

If some strong rumours around at the minute are to be believed, Rafa has been recently told that his transfer budget for the summer is.....nil. And that the wage bill cannot increase beyond what is currently at-which is already considerably behind Chelsea,Utd & Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

If some strong rumours around at the minute are to be believed, Rafa has been recently told that his transfer budget for the summer is.....nil. And that the wage bill cannot increase beyond what is currently at-which is already considerably behind Chelsea,Utd & Arsenal.

Strong rumours from where??

****ing stupid fat americans. They are a cancer in the club. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

The club is in crisis!

Auditors only issue warnings like this when the ship has hit or is periously close to hitting the iceberg.

This means that these two Yanks are desperately searching for cash from anyone to keep things going on both sides of the pond.

This is bad news for our hopes of landing Silva, Villa, Tevez or anyone to be honest.

If only Moores had sold to the Arabs we'd be top heavy with quality players.

Anyone else as concerned as I am? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Afraid i've read this also. Then again i've heard a lot of BS coming out of the club these last few years. This summer will tell us an awful lot about our club and owners. Not that we already don't know:rolleyes:

The club is in crisis!

Auditors only issue warnings like this when the ship has hit or is periously close to hitting the iceberg.

This means that these two Yanks are desperately searching for cash from anyone to keep things going on both sides of the pond.

This is bad news for our hopes of landing Silva, Villa, Tevez or anyone to be honest.

If only Moores had sold to the Arabs we'd be top heavy with quality players.

Anyone else as concerned as I am? :eek:
    I passed concerned about two years ago now.:(

I'm not sure if i nescessarily believe the rumours tbh.

We shall see i suppose.

Our club is in a dire situation, no doubt, but its no worse than any other top clubs in England (in fact considerably less worse than a couple).

The auditors statement? i've read thats more to do with the fact that they have to cover their arses when doing statements like that....as in they can't say, yea it should be alright & then 6 months later it all goes tits up.

the above is in no way trying to defend our current regime, just saying i'm not quite so sure its as sensationalist as people may try & make it out to be.

• Advertisement

The auditors statement? i've read thats more to do with the fact that they have to cover their arses when doing statements like that....as in they can't say, yea it should be alright & then 6 months later it all goes tits up.

As an accountant I can tell you that when auditors issue a statement like this it's serious - it's akin to moving a patient into intensive care.

It means that from what they can see - and they have full visibility to all of the club's financial records - the financial structure of the club is badly titled towards debt over equity.

The Yanks will find the cash to crawl on but where from and how much interest will that all cost and what effect will that have on transfers and salaries.

Hopefully these mugs see sense and cut their losses and sell to DIC.

As an accountant I can tell you that when auditors issue a statement like this it's serious - it's akin to moving a patient into intensive care.

It means that from what they can see - and they have full visibility to all of the club's financial records - the financial structure of the club is badly titled towards debt over equity.

The Yanks will find the cash to crawl on but where from and how much interest will that all cost and what effect will that have on transfers and salaries.

Hopefully these mugs see sense and cut their losses and sell to DIC.
    The DIC ship has sailed.

The club is in crisis!

I'm an auditor and we issue warnings like that all the time. Auditors have to err on the side of prudence all the time, lest the lawsuits come flying

It's really not, it just means that can't be certain that the money will be refinanced. It's all to do with the uncertainty. Had they issued their report after the refinancing it may well have been a clean report

Nothing to do with that. Debt is a perfectly legitimate way to finance a company as long as you can service it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Assuming our transfer budget is at 0, does anyone think we have a chance of challenging for the League next year?

If player sales can be used for transfers, I still think we might be in ok shape as long as we don't get hit too badly by injuries.

We could sell Babel, Dossena and Voronin, and use the money to bring in a right back and a backup, utility versatile attacking player to cover the Gerrard/ Torres positions and do a job on the wings if needs be (I'm thinking of the Tuncay rumours here).

Whatever happens I really hope this doesn't mean we have to sell Alonso. I think continuity and stability are the most important factors this summer. Personally I was never expecting any big-name signings this summer. At this stage, I'd be happy if we could keep the crux of the squad together and make a couple of modest signings to improve our squad depth.

Nothing to do with that. Debt is a perfectly legitimate way to finance a company as long as you can service it.

KPMG have real concerns that this debt cannot be serviced - that's my point - about there being a huge over reliance on this debt.

These warnings are very much the exception - tell me how many other of the free spending British football clubs have had their auditors publish such a statement - Man Utd, Sunderland, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal - don't think so - I'm amazed :eek: that as an auditor you would undermine the very object of your role.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement