Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Davis Proud Pea, start a thread about the Hammers if you like. As for the above dunno really there is a lot of smokes and daggers surrounding this fella. Wouldn't be surprised if a deal were done 'out of the blue'.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

mike65 wrote: »
    Davis Proud Pea, start a thread about the Hammers if you like. As for the above dunno really there is a lot of smokes and daggers surrounding this fella. Wouldn't be surprised if a deal were done 'out of the blue'.

Aye..

"We never contacted Lavezzi" (but we have contacted his club)..
    "and we have no intention of doing so" (until his club accept our bid).. said Benítez today. "We want to put a stop to these rumours." (because yis are wrecking our chances of doing business this summer yis pr**ks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Masch's agent now supposedly saying he'd jump at Barca if they made a move for him
    http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2009/06/09/Prem-Mascheranos-agent-on-Barca/gnid-56347/

Now sing along everyone
    Tis the season to be silly,
    Fa la la la la, la la la la.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

zing wrote: »
    Masch's agent now supposedly saying he'd jump at Barca if they made a move for him
    http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2009/06/09/Prem-Mascheranos-agent-on-Barca/gnid-56347/

Now sing along everyone
    Tis the season to be silly,
    Fa la la la la, la la la la.

**** sake I never expected a summer of our own players being constantly linked with moves away all the while we seem to be doing nothing/struggling.

In rafa we trust. If xabi and Masch left this season it would be awful. I think mascherano though is in love with Benitez so id be shocked if he left. Really worried bout xabi though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I dont get into speculation about players in and out but dear lord its depressing to see stories about our players leaving instead of getting more in to add to them :(

Looks like his agent trying to engineer a transaction for some money. Until Masch/Rafa says something, stuff like that has to be ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It would seem the Love for Rafa is not shared by the central midfield.

As for all summer transfer silly rumours, I will believe it only when I see the players sporting their new teams shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

It'll all stop as soon as Liverpool make a big name signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

****ing hell, if Barca got Mascherano they'd be damm near unbeatable. It'd be a bloody joke, their midfield would be beyond world class, it would be one of the most balanced effective midfield of all time.

I for one, hope that Liverpool keep him. Since we haven't seen much to suggest otherwise yet, i'm hopeful its just press bluster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It'll all stop as soon as Liverpool make a big name signing.

Why would it stop? Surely it would continue with stories saying Mascherano/Alonso to be sold to recoup the cash laid out for [insert big name signing]

True, PHB is amusing me by being more worried about Barca than Liverpool who Utd will have to play at least twice next season while Barca may not be on the agenda at all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

But would Liverpool turn down 20M plus for either?

Boggles wrote: »
    It would seem the Love for Rafa is not shared by the central midfield.
    Boggles wrote:
    As for all summer transfer silly rumours, I will believe it only when I see the players sporting their new teams shirts.

Well done there.
    You managed to contradict yourself in only two sentances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

kida wrote: »

30 million at minimum or get the fook out should be the automated response.

Or no thanks. Id prefer no thanks.

• Advertisement

That not a contradiction. The latter is true for any rumoured transfer (Goddamn! I just backed Boggles!)

Why would it stop? Surely it would continue with stories saying Mascherano/Alonso to be sold to recoup the cash laid out for [insert big name signing]

No.

The reason we're "selling" our big names stars, is because of the rubbish about having no money.
    We're not supposedly selling them so we can buy.
    We're supposedly selling them to rescue the club.

When we make a big name signing, the press can no longer imply that we're as broke as they have been, therefore the level of crap being printed will decrease.

That not a contradiction. The latter is true for any rumoured transfer (Goddamn! I just backed Boggles!)

He cotradicted himself by saying the Liverpool players obviously don't love Rafa.
    Then in the next sentance saying that he didn't believe the stories about transfers.

See?

Can we stop talking about me, like I'm not here. ;)

Can we stop talking about me, like I'm not here. ;)

Who said that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Mascherano is worth well over 30m, being just about the best at what he does in the world.
    Look at how much De Jong cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Liverpool's international team (Spain) into action against New Zealand on Sunday at 7pm. Live on RTE2. Hadnt realised the Conferderations Cup was so soon. I think RTE are showing most, if not all, of the matches.

Also read that Torres jnr is on the way in the not-too distant future, Mrs Torres being close enough to poppage time.

Also like most others I just want this transfer window to be over.

On the transfer front kinda interesting to note that, Dossena apart, there has been little in the way of transfer rumours regarding some of the others who were in the possible departures camp. Surprised about Voronin in particular and Babel to a lesser extent. Might be a bit early but given that teams know that Rafa has do some selling to buy I would have at least expected there to be some rumours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

players are all on their holidays now, so not many deals will be done until end of the month
    wont even be any whispers of average players until then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Rafa on the summer xfer budget:
    Rafa wrote:
    We knew it could be difficult because there is a crisis all around the world,

Clearly we don’t have too much to spend but I think we have enough money to add the one or two players that we need.

I’m very happy with the squad we’ve got.

This season has been really good and we’ve competed on all fronts.

If we can sign one or two players then I’m really positive that we can improve.

So not a huge amount to splash about but it'll be spent carefully

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/06/09/liverpool-fc-boss-rafa-benitez-happy-with-summer-transfer-kitty-100252-23822933/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

Liverpool's international team (Spain) into action against New Zealand on Sunday at 7pm. Live on RTE2. Hadnt realised the Conferderations Cup was so soon. I think RTE are showing most, if not all, of the matches.

Also read that Torres jnr is on the way in the not-too distant future, Mrs Torres being close enough to poppage time.

Also like most others I just want this transfer window to be over.

On the transfer front kinda interesting to note that, Dossena apart, there has been little in the way of transfer rumours regarding some of the others who were in the possible departures camp. Surprised about Voronin in particular and Babel to a lesser extent. Might be a bit early but given that teams know that Rafa has do some selling to buy I would have at least expected there to be some rumours.
    Torres junior is expected to be a girl

Sign her up anyway, by 2025 the wimmins game could be huge :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Rafa on radio city
    Not sure when he gave this interview,think it was last night or this morning....

http://www.radiocity.co.uk/Article.asp?id=1360739&spid=20274

no linky worky.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

no linky worky.

Fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

We apparently paid 18 million for him. It makes no sense to allow him to go unless it is for a sizeable profit.

• Advertisement

Pity the interviewer didn't follow up the Alonso question by asking if Xabi had was happy to stay.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

We apparently paid 18 million for him. It makes no sense to allow him to go unless it is for a sizeable profit.

It makes no sense to allow him to go unless we have identified and lined up a replacement that is at least as good quality and costs the same or less than we sell him for.

spockety wrote: »
    It makes no sense to allow him to go unless we have identified and lined up a replacement that is at least as good quality and costs the same or less than we sell him for.

Personally for him it makes perfect sense though, and if a player truly wants to leave only 2 things will change his mind, plenty of cash and success. Both of which he is more or less assured of in Barcalona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Personally for him it makes perfect sense though, and if a player truly wants to leave only 2 things will change his mind, plenty of cash and success. Both of which he is more or less assured of in Barcalona.

Id hate to see him leave. I agree Boggles, Barca would be favs for La Liga and probably CL too. But surely he can see how well things are looking for us, which would hopefully sway his decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Quotes from Mascherano at the end of May;
    "I still have three years on my contract with Liverpool and I am happy there. I am comfortable and thinking only of Liverpool. I don't know anything about an approach from Barcelona or any other club."

Thats a quote from the 29th of May, so unless in the last week (while he's been on international duty in south America) he has changed his mind & realises he has to go, chances of him leaving are slim to none.

Agent generated headline number:1,453,568

*on a slightly different note, as far as i was aware Kia was still Maschs agent?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Quotes from Mascherano at the end of May;

Thats a quote from the 29th of May, so unless in the last week (while he's been on international duty in south America) he has changed his mind & realises he has to go, chances of him leaving are slim to none.

Agent generated headline number:1,453,568

*on a slightly different note, as far as i was aware Kia was still Maschs agent?

In fairness, that is standard player reply 101.

Kaka was on international duty this week, so I don't think that would have an effect either way.

Kaka June 1st
    "I say it for the last time, I don't want to leave Milan. In this period I prefer to stay quiet because I don't want to be misinterpreted," he said.

"To the millions of Rossoneri [AC Milan] fans I say my decision has been made. I have said I want to stay. Now please leave me in peace.

"Thank God we qualified for the Champions League. We missed it and I missed it. I want to keep winning with Milan. I’m staying at Milan. And as of today, this case is over."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Different economic climate now, ok 25M+ is probably more realistic. My point is more that I am sure there is a price they both could be sold at.

Different economic climate now, ok 25M+ is probably more realistic. My point is more that I am sure there is a price they both could be sold at.

No.
    Portsmouth want £18,000,000 for Crouch, who we sold for £8,000,000 the same season that Masch was signed for £18,000,000.

Masch would be at leaset £30,000,000 of a player in todays market.

No.
    Portsmouth want £18,000,000 for Crouch, who we sold for £8,000,000 the same season that Masch was signed for £18,000,000.

Definately, Liverpool would certainly have to be compensated to the tune of around 30 mill, unless there is a stupid release clauses or something in the contract to say he can go for less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

No.

Agreed. Anything less than 30m is a nonsense. Same goes for Alonso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

While Masch may want to stay, the most worrying bit was a few pages back where it was mentioned that his wife hasn't settled in England. That could be a deciding factor in him moving to Spain :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

back to spain? when was masch in spain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

who said anything about going back to spain? In fairness Spain would undoubtedly be easier to settle in for Argentinians, same language, similar climate, similar (or at least more similar then Englands) culture.

Having said that, id rather we made no transfer dealings at all then lose Alonso and Masch.

hmm sure i saw Daemonic say back to spain! ninja edit maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'd be shocked to see masch go whatever about alonso....
    tbh i can't see either of them going, they are far too important just to sell... i think the only reasonn why this is coming up is because of the whole robbie keane transfer

the only players that we will sell could be doss, degan, voronin, lucas and babel and whatever reserves.. I hope lucas(probably will) and babel(real possibility) stay but we can't be sure... if we were to sell them all we'd surely make between 18-21 mill (probably only 7-9 without babel and lucas)

That kind of money would be enough to add 1 or 2 quality players or 1 world class type player...

oh maybe this is why there are reports:
    Agent - Masch would join Barca

Agent says Argentine will join Barcelona if they want him

Javier Mascherano's agent says the Argentine midfielder would love to join Barcelona if the European champions come calling.

The Reds midfielder has become a vital part of Rafa Benitez's plans since signing a five-year contract back in 2007.
    While the 24-year-old has recently said he is happy at Anfield, his agent Walter Tamer claims Mascherano would gladly jump ship.
    Tamer told Catalan radio station RAC-1: "If a club like Barcelona want to bring you into their ranks after having completed such a brilliant season and having won everything, obviously as a player you are going to say 'Yes, I want to play there'.
    Honour

"It is an honour for Javier that a club like Barca pay such close attention to him, especially after the incredible season they had. I believe that a transfer would be feasible. If Barca really want him, he will sign for them.
    "He would have a very easy job at Barca. Sometimes we talk and joke that the only thing he has to do is run, rob the ball, and pass it on to all the superstars in front of him."
    But Tamer does admit the move would be made more difficult if Liverpool agree to sell Real Madrid-linked Xabi Alonso first.
    "What if Xabi Alonso also leaves? Surely, Rafa Benitez would not want to have both his central midfielders go. It will be difficult, although Xabi's future does not depend on Mascherano and vice-versa," he said.
    "The transaction would certainly happen, but the first to leave will have more options."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_5370558,00.html

• Advertisement

Given his age I wouldnt let Masch go for less that around 40m euros tbh
    He has at least 9 years at the top left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

hmm sure i saw Daemonic say back to spain! ninja edit maybe?
    You sir have let the worry of losing Masch get to you ;)

It really does seem like his agent acting the p**** and trying to stir up rumours but the family angle could be a problem IF its true.
    Please let it be September 1st and Masch and Alonso are still Liverpool players.

Daemonic wrote: »

lol too true! losing alonso and masch would be a nightmare, i hate agents and the media!

Daemonic wrote: »

It really does seem like his agent acting the p**** and trying to stir up rumours but the family angle could be a problem IF its true.
    Please let it be September 1st and Masch and Alonso are still Liverpool players.

Bloody family, think they would be able to keep their mouth shut for 5-7 years, what if they were married to a tennis player or a golfer?

It's not like Hubby doesn't spend enough time with them or has not made them millionaires multiple times over.

Average footballer retires at 34/35, that is a long time retired and as professions go, very young, they have the rest of the lives to live anywhere and everywhere they want.

When a player signs a contract, there should be "A shut the F Up" clause on the spouse or significant other.

Except in very serious cases, the "my wif doesn't like it" excuse is used way too often.
    I don't believe half of them.

When it's a ase of family troubles, fair enough, that's more than understandable.
    But players forcing transfers because his girlfriend doesn't like the weather, is all that's wrong with modern football.

PS: Obviously not saying that's the case with Masch, just in general.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement