Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

they're pretty much identical financial situations.

everyone knows it.

next.

and boggles, people have, in the main, reasonably argued your posts as far as i can see. people don't have a problem with you saying we're in debt, but claiming utd's finances are all rosy is a farce. a farce you knew would get a rise out of certain people as you persisted.

both clubs are in potential deep sh*t.

and we all know it.

it's modern football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭xabi

DeadSkin wrote: »
    So, eh, xabi, are you stayin' or goin' :pac: :p

staying - only if you lot stop talking about the fiscal situation though! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

xabi wrote: »
    staying - only if you lot stop talking about the fiscal situation though! ;)

Phew!!

.....fiscal situation, what you talkin' 'bout Willis!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

SlickRic wrote: »
    both clubs are in potential deep sh*t.

and we all know it.

it's modern football.
    Its modern football, its modern business, its modern life. There are many other clubs, organisations, businesses and governments that are running on a month to month, year to year basis financially. It may take a minor knock for some to go under, it may take a major disaster to go under. They may cause their own downfall, or an external problem may be the cause of it.

Any chance people could stop sniping at each other about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

gucci wrote: »
    Any chance people could stop sniping at each other about it?

my sentiments exactly.

we all know the situation, so let's leave it.

barcelona can get the f*ck away from masch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Javi MArtinez claims he is not interested in a move to England. Should quell the rumours of his arrival at Anfield.

I still think Tuncay is the most likely arrival out of all the rumours.

Arjen Robben and Wesley Sneidjer would be sweet from Madrid though. Even Maicon from Inter would be a great deal for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

With Kaka coming in, what do ye think of testing Real's desire to hold onto Ruben De La Red?
    (As long as he passes a full and extensive medical of course!)

While no Garreth Barry, we would be a good back up to fight it out with Lucas for the third choice midfielder, and Rafa was interested in him before (according to the media).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

slingerz wrote: »
    Even Maicon from Inter would be a great deal for Liverpool.

I think he would be a great addition to the team but I doubt he would leave Inter Milan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

In general I'd be reluctant to get involved in any discussions with Real/Perez as it just might give them ideas about Alonso. As against that there surely has to be some thinning of the squad to make way for the Galacticos and there might be some potential bargains in the offing (like de la Red)

On the de la Red thing - really don't know a huge amount about him so no idea whether he's worth it - however Rafa's track record when it comes to buying CMS is pretty decent so I'd be going with the whole IRWT line.

Really do think that we need some cover for CM in the squad because otherwise there's the possibilty of having to play Gerrard there, which is clearly a very bad thing and weakens the team. As it stands in the squad if we don't want to play Gerrard in CM the options are Masch and Alonso with Lucas as third choice followed by Spearing/Plessis/Aurelio (maybe?), which is not a good enough situation when you're looking at a season of probably minimum 50 games and possibly nudging up towards 60 if things go well, especially given Masch is captain of Argentina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I think he would be a great addition to the team but I doubt he would leave Inter Milan.
    Yesterday, Maicon’s agent roared that Inter are not giving enough attention to his client and maintained that the wing-back is weighing up offers from foreign clubs, something the player confirmed today.

“I am not a phenomenon, but I am not a player like any other,” Maicon explained to La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“Inter have been disregarding me for three years. Perhaps they are all worried about satisfying [Zlatan] Ibrahimovic. I am not jealous of him. He is a phenomenon and I don’t want to recall how many assists I have provided him with over the past years.

“That’s not the problem. It’s just that I am tired of being neglected.”

Ibrahimovic’s agent, Mino Raiola, is reportedly touting the Swedish striker to Spanish giants Barcelona, despite already being the top earner in Serie A with wages of €12 million per season.

Meanwhile, reports suggest that Real Madrid are tracking Maicon after splashing out for his compatriot Kaka.

“I said I would gladly stay at Inter to win the Champions League,” the 27-year-old continued. “As you can see, the good actions have all come from me. The Nerazzurri have kept silent and this behaviour hurts me.

“I have asked my agent, Antonio Caliendo, to do everything possible to give me back my happiness. I am seeking joy at Inter or at another club.

“I have seen a happy Kaka. He has moved from a great club to another. I want to feel the same happiness on my skin. Is that too much to ask?”

can i just say this man utd v liverpool debt thing is nonsense

we're both screwed

villa to be PL champions in a few yrs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Javi MArtinez claims he is not interested in a move to England. Should quell the rumours of his arrival at Anfield.

Arjen Robben and Wesley Sneidjer would be sweet from Madrid though. Even Maicon from Inter would be a great deal for Liverpool.

Maicon would be a great signing imo... he'd probably be expensive though
    If we brought in him and tuncay, i'd be happy with the summer transfers

I'm ambivalent about Robben. He's such a dislikeable individual but he is clearly talented. Still only 25 (which I kinda forget - for some reason I had him at around 27/28{probably due to the hair-loss}) Real paid €36.5m (which is £30m at today's fx rates) for him, so unless they were willing to take a fairly big loss on him I'd say he might be out of our price range. I couldnt see Rafa paying anywhere above £20m for him.

Sneijder is another interesting one. Real paid €27m for him which is about
    £22m at current rates. The fact that he can and does play in almost all of the attacking roles mean that he offers masses of possibilites. From what I can figure he has played on the left, right and through the centre and as a support striker this season. This could make him a very handy addition to the squad.

Sounds like Tuncay is interested in a move anyway - doesn't sound like he has actually handed in a transfer request but seems pretty close to be inches away. I think this could well be a possibility depending on how much Rafa has to spend.
    Tuncay seeks transfer from Boro

Middlesbrough midfielder Tuncay has indicated he wants to leave the club following their relegation to the Championship from the Premier League.

The 27-year-old, who joined Boro from Turkish side Fenerbahce in 2007, would prefer to stay in England's top flight.

He has been linked with Liverpool and Chelsea, but may decide to return home.

He said: "My aim is to remain in the Premier League. But I love Fenerbahce and if one day I return to Turkey, it'll be with them."

Chelsea were linked with Tuncay in January, although Boro are yet to receive any formal offers.

Boro manager Gareth Southgate is resigned to losing several of his star players after dropping down a division.

England midfielder Stewart Downing is among those tipped to leave the Riverside.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/middlesbrough/8093554.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

If we can pick Tuncay up on the cheap no more than 6 million then I wouldnt mind. But it just strikes of another squad sort of player and we really are at the stage where we need to be looking for players that would be looking at a starting 11 role.

Fair enough I know the striker option is one of more of a back up to Torres but still....If Torres got injured Tuncay leading the line doesnt exactly strike me with great joy.

Maicon would cost a bomb and cant see Inter wanting to sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,758 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

In general I'd be reluctant to get involved in any discussions with Real/Perez as it just might give them ideas about Alonso. As against that there surely has to be some thinning of the squad to make way for the Galacticos and there might be some potential bargains in the offing (like de la Red)

When he built Galacticos 1 was there a huge cull of already existing players?

Boggles wrote: »

Slightly different situation as it was more a case of one galactico per year policy then as opposed to the current plan of gathering a number of them in one season.

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote: »
    If we can pick Tuncay up on the cheap no more than 6 million then I wouldnt mind. But it just strikes of another squad sort of player and we really are at the stage where we need to be looking for players that would be looking at a starting 11 role.

Fair enough I know the striker option is one of more of a back up to Torres but still....If Torres got injured Tuncay leading the line doesnt exactly strike me with great joy.

Maicon would cost a bomb and cant see Inter wanting to sell him.

Would agree with this. Doesn't exactly strike as an automatic quality addition to the first eleven. However I would imagine if he was signed it would be a case of maybe money being spent elsewhere.

Perez said that between 4-6 squad players would have to leave. as he wanted to bring in players, and end with a squad of 25.
    There are currently 27 in the squad.
    So if he brings in 3 more........so on.

On the de la Red thing - really don't know a huge amount about him so no idea whether he's worth it - however Rafa's track record when it comes to buying CMS is pretty decent so I'd be going with the whole IRWT line.

Really do think that we need some cover for CM in the squad because otherwise there's the possibilty of having to play Gerrard there, which is clearly a very bad thing and weakens the team. As it stands in the squad if we don't want to play Gerrard in CM the options are Masch and Alonso with Lucas as third choice followed by Spearing/Plessis/Aurelio (maybe?), which is not a good enough situation when you're looking at a season of probably minimum 50 games and possibly nudging up towards 60 if things go well, especially given Masch is captain of Argentina.

De La Red is an interesting player.
    He's like a cross between Aonso and Riera.
    He's no where near as good a passer (who is?!), but he's very cultured on the ball, and can dictate the pace of the game well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Sooo... first Kaka.. now Ronaldo...

Anyone else love it if Liverpool got drawn against Real Madrid again next season in the Champions League so Rafa could put the Galacticos to the sword? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

I'm just hoping Perez has spent his lot now and won't focus his attention on Xabi next.

• Advertisement

spockety wrote: »
    Sooo... first Kaka.. now Ronaldo...

Anyone else love it if Liverpool got drawn against Real Madrid again next season in the Champions League so Rafa could put the Galacticos to the sword? ;)

At lease we know where Xabi'll be next season now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

heh! I just want Perez to offer 100 million for Alonso :p

Have ye any interested in selling Kuyt?, we seem to have had a recent opening on the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

thats what we thought about Ronaldo after they signed Kaka :(

Have ye any interested in selling Kuyt?, we seem to have had a recent opening on the right.

If Ronaldo is worth 80m, we would be looking for a bid of at least 95 for Kuyt.

Make it an even €100 and we promise to walk him twice a day. ;)

95 quid ? I know his first touch ain't great at times but ... :D

It may have dampened the flames of Xabi, I'm sure Barca will now chase Masch more, they will need someone to combat these Real Attackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

mike65 wrote: »
    heh! I just want Perez to offer 100 million for Alonso :p

I'd settle for 81 million...petty to the last! :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It seems we have the most effective right winger in the league now :pac:

I think though providing we can hang on to all our top players, and maybe augment with one or two good (won't be great, sadly) players, then depending on who utd bring in, it could be a great opportunity for us.

• Advertisement

rosboy wrote: »
    I'd settle for 81 million...petty to the last! :pac:

Whatever about buying one player, chuck an extra 20m at it and you can have Newcastle United, lock stock and barrel.

Yeah but why would you want to? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

bigger stadium........

............runs away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Airlift St James to Stanley park?

Good point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

In relation to debt, our PIKs are killing us. We're just about financing them, but they are getting bigger every year. Unless something magical happens, so our interest payments will take over our revenue, and we'll be ****ed. United are in a serious financial situation, that's just well hidden. I think Liverpool are just 2/3 years ahead of United's based on the money being needed right now rather than gona be. Personally, I think if Liverpool can refinance, they will be in a better situation than United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think right now [controversial], Liverpool are as good a team as United in terms of a league challenge.

What they do this summer in the transfer market will be the difference.

PHB wrote: »
    I think right now [controversial], Liverpool are as good a team as United in terms of a league challenge.

What they do this summer in the transfer market will be the difference.

I think what Chelsea do in the summer transfer market will also be a huge factor. Assuming Ancelloti adapts well to English footie ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

I think what Chelsea do in the summer transfer market will also be a huge factor. Assuming Ancelloti adapts well to English footie ;)

My gut instinct is that Ancelloti will flop as Chelski manager & will last a season in charge at most!

Famous last words perhaps :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Hephaestus wrote: »
    My gut instinct is that Ancelloti will flop as Chelski manager & will last a season in charge at most!

Famous last words perhaps :p

guus to come in at christmas and rescue things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

prendy wrote: »
    guus to come in at christmas and rescue things?

Wouldn't surprise me 1 bit!

Guus is top class.

The guy just has that special something that all top class managers have.

An ability to keep players happy whilst gettin the most out of them in footballing terms.

If I was a Chelski fan I'd be gutted that he left. :D

Here's an interesting set-up that could have long term effects for LFC
    http://www.sportspromedia.com/deals/_a/liverpools_cash-strapped_owners_pull_off_lucrative_deal/?utm_source=Feeds&utm_campaign=Latest+Deals&utm_medium=rss
    The club will partner with the Abhijeet Kadam Memorial Foundation to establish the Abhijit Kadam Football Development Centre. It will be based at Bharati Vidyapeeth University, and will offer youngsters the chance to combine studies with coaching from Liverpool’s coaches.

Courses taught at the club-sponsored school will include coaching, refereeing and Sports Science. Though the partnership itself offers no immediate financial reward for Liverpool, such schools are increasingly seen as a massively effective way to maximise a club’s brand in any given country. Should Liverpool become the soccer club to successfully make an impact in India, a country of more than a billion people, then potential revenues could be huge.

The opening of the school is just the first step in Liverpool’s ambitions in India. The club’s commercial director Ian Ayre said, “This project brings football with first class education and an ambition to feed the Indian game. It’s certainly an exciting start and one of a variety of key projects that Liverpool will unveil in the Indian market over the coming months.

With Real splashing the cash things could be alot harder for us now to sign who we want. With United and Ac along with Chelsea having money to spend I think we are going to struggle (if not already struggling).

A mate of mine told me today we were linked with bassong. Dear god if we sign him il be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

joe123 wrote: »
    With Real splashing the cash things could be alot harder for us now to sign who we want. With United and Ac along with Chelsea having money to spend I think we are going to struggle (if not already struggling).

A mate of mine told me today we were linked with bassong. Dear god if we sign him il be worried.

Why only for him Newcastle would have being relegated at christmas

Are Hicks and Gilette not currently lookig from investment from an Indian company?

• Advertisement

Why only for him Newcastle would have being relegated at christmas

I just dont rate him. Every game ive seen him in he hasnt been that good. Granted he was in a team that were awful this year but still. Why spend money on Bassong when surely someone like San Jose could step up?

Rush for slice of Liverpool

The Indian businessman, Grandhi Mallikarjun Rao, whose GMR infrastructural group runs the Delhi Daredevils in the IPL, is said to be interested in taking a stake in Liverpool, one of the top football clubs in the world, it was claimed today.

Under an “exclusive tag”, the News of the World said “Liverpool have held talks with the billionaire owners of an Indian Premier League cricket team. And that could lead to a massive investment and an eventual buy-out.”

The Sunday Express also ran a similar story today, under an exclusive tag as well, headlined, “Liverpool go for an Indian” — an expression normally used for an evening out enjoying a curry.

There isn’t much evidence yet to back up either story other than circumstantial evidence. However, Liverpool do want funds in order to buy top players.

A representative of the Bangalore-based GMR group apparently has been to the Premier League club’s home ground at Anfield to see a game against Arsenal and hold discussions with the Liverpool’s American co-owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

Liverpool are talking to other possible buyers as well. Among them, according to the Sunday Express, is one of Kuwait’s richest families.

“It is understood that Nasser Al Kharafi, worth £9 billion, is considering a bid,” the Sunday Express said. “Also looking on is Liverpool fan Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum of the Dubai ruling family.”

The paper said Hicks and Gillett “want to sell for around £450 million or alternatively invite huge investment to back Liverpool’s re-emergence as a title force”.

Both Hicks and Gillett “were on Merseyside last week, taking in the 4-4 draw with Arsenal after having talks over refinancing the £350m loan which enabled them to buy the club”.

“Leading members” of the GMR, owned by Rao, “were wined and dined by Hicks and Gillett”, the report said.

Talks were started by Hicks, initially with a view to securing a sponsorship deal, but Bangalore-based GMR have made no secret of their desire to branch out into other sports.

Rao, 58, made his millions in the airport and construction industry and recently formed a subsidiary company to invest in sport, with English football considered the most attractive.

The News of the World speculated that Rao is worth an estimated £4.2 billion.

Liverpool’s American owners have been scouring the globe “for finance to stave off the threat of having to sell the club on the cheap in July”, it claimed.

“The GMR group were invited by Hicks and their representative watched the Arsenal match in the directors’ box with Hicks’ son Tommy,” a source told the News of the World. “It was quite clear the representative was a fan.”

The source added: “When you look at the company’s commitment to sport, they’re exactly the type of partner Tom would be looking for.”

Liverpool, founded in 1892 and now captained by Steven Gerrard, say they have “maintained their status as a domestic and European force since the Premier League began in 1992, rarely finishing outside the top positions. The club have won seven major trophies since then, including the Champions League, Uefa Cup, two FA Cups and three League Cups.

“Indeed, 2001 saw the Reds claim an unprecedented League Cup, FA Cup and Uefa Cup treble. Having won more domestic and European trophies than any other English club, Liverpool’s status as giants of the domestic game is undisputed”.

The possible sale of Liverpool to an Indian owner has provoked the club’s fans to take to the Internet chat rooms. “Go on bring on the Indians,” was one comment. “They will run the club rights (sic). Plus they will provide the right funds for (Rafa) Benitez (the Spanish manager). Also could be fantastic commercially with the whole of 1 billion india (sic) walking around in liverpool shirts.”

Not everyone is happy, though. Another fan protested: “As a Liverpool supporter, I do find it embarassing (sic) to be continually linked to anybody with a little bit of spare cash.”

It's a few months old, but does tie into the India link.

The football development centre link up is really about marketing - 1,000m people and 90% are cricket mad. Get a just a few % to also take an interest in the Prem and LFC and you have a cash cow. I'm now fully expecting a 2/3 game jaunt to India next summer.

That link to a takeover/partical takeover by the Indians was since denied iirc. afaik the Kuwaiti's are the only current 'interested party' but they're not willing to play ball at the figures those two muppets are looking for.

zing wrote: »
    That link to a takeover/partical takeover by the Indians was since denied iirc. afaik the Kuwaiti's are the only current 'interested party' but they're not willing to play ball at the figures those two muppets are looking for.

The link with GRM was brought back up again last week.
    I know that means nothing (the media would bring up dead links from a decade ago if it sells papers), but it's still worth bearing in mind.
    A third party investor may not be so bad.

And I'd buy a jersey with GRM on the front, if it meant Stanley Park would be built!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement