Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gillett is selling his stake in some Canadian sports franchise, he could get 300 million according to the latest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Boggles wrote: »
    It may have dampened the flames of Xabi, I'm sure Barca will now chase Masch more, they will need someone to combat these Real Attackers.

but barca will need someone to mark ronaldo too, lets see oh yeah this guy didn't give him a kick last time out, sneaky £50m bid perhaps??

478888-fabio_aurelio_large.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

mike65 wrote: »
    Gillett is selling his stake in some Canadian sports franchise, he could get 300 million according to the latest.

I wonder is Celine Dion still interested.

Hicks is hoping to raise at lese £200 mill from selling shares in his two american franchises too.

If/When this happens, the media will just move on to the next hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

I wonder how much of that $300 CAD (presumably) is owed to banks and how much Gillet will pocket. Given how those two operate he's probably used the Canadians as security against numerous other loans.

zing wrote: »
    I wonder how much of that $300 CAD (presumably) is owed to banks and how much Gillet will pocket. Given how those two operate he's probably used the Canadians as security against numerous other loans.

It's £300 mill STG.

The Canadiens are fairly successfull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

It's £300 mill STG.

The Canadiens are fairly successfull.

I certainly wouldnt have been jumping for joy if it was 200m CAD.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Fair enough - still wonder how much of it is owed to banks. Or for that matter how many multiples of it is owed to banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

From the reports I've read it seems it's Hicks who is more in need of cash than Gillet, so this might not be of huge benefit.

I think yesterday was the last day for bids for the Canadiens - press speculation that there was 6 interested bids but that it might a couple of months before the whole process is complete.

However it does seem that both G&H are trying to dispose of other assets to hang on to LFC. I have been trying to figure out how they hope to profit long-term and I'm finding it hard to figure.

Also had a very weird thought in the wee hours last night prompted by the chat abou the imment arrival of Torres Jnr - I was wondering if Torres's form might be disrupted by the arrival of the new baby and all of the night feeds that entails. Crazy stuff I know but if his form dips for a while it could be a possibility:D:D:D

Hockey can be more about real estate than Stanley Cups. George Gillett, who owns the Montreal Canadiens and the Bell Centre, leveraged his building this summer when he borrowed $240 million in part to pay himself a $72 million dividend. Gillett used the Bell Centre to secure the loan. The Bell Centre cost $190 million to build and opened in 1996. The huge, unprecedented dividend guarantees Gillett a large return on the $181 million he paid for 80% of the team and 100% of the arena in 2001.

It's the Bell Center that Gilette is selling as much as the Canadiens.

Edit: Also, The Canadiens have a turn over of some $40 mill a year.
    They have a massive fanbase, and are the most successfull sports franchise in American/Canadien Sporting history. (that's including American football/baseball/basketball).

Gilette won't be short of buyers.
    The club is valued at around £250 million, but with a few bids, it'll get driven up to around £300.

Gilette will take most of that home with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

From the reports I've read it seems it's Hicks who is more in need of cash than Gillet, so this might not be of huge benefit.

I think yesterday was the last day for bids for the Canadiens - press speculation that there was 6 interested bids but that it might a couple of months before the whole process is complete.

However it does seem that both G&H are trying to dispose of other assets to hang on to LFC. I have been trying to figure out how they hope to profit long-term and I'm finding it hard to figure.

Don't know if any of you have seen this article from last weekend's Observer Sport

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/jun/07/hicks-liverpool-football

• Advertisement

It's also rumoured that Gilette is looking to buy shares in the Buffalo Bills American Football Team.

Who knows what's happening!!!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

From Sports Pro Media:

Tyre manufacturer Maxxis will be a sponsor of English soccer club Liverpool for the next three years.

The company will be an official partner of the Anfield club and its star players, including Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres, until the end of the 2011/12 season. It will receive extensive pitchside advertising at Anfield, a significant presence on the club website - which attracts US$10 million of annual revenue - as well as advertising slots on the club TV channel, in the matchday programme and the club's weekly magazine.

"Our investment in football over the past few years has served us well, so we are delighted to continue supporting our UK retailers, especially the Maxxis Centres of Excellence network, and carry the brand forward by agreeing a new strategic partnership with one of football's biggest and best known clubs," says Maxxis UK's managing director Derek McMartin. "We look forward to capitalising on Liverpool FC's strong brand values and sense of community to promote Maxxis and our ability to deliver quality, reliable products at an affordable price."

Ian Ayre, Liverpool FC’s commercial director, added: "We're delighted to welcome Maxxis into our partnership family at what is an exciting time for the club. The past three years have seen Maxxis establish itself as a brand that understands football fans and we look forward to developing a mutually beneficial programme of activity, not just in the UK, but on a global basis."

The company also sponsors the New York Yankees and Chicago White Sox. It signed its partnership on the day accountants KPMG warned that Liverpool owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett's future at the club is in significant doubt unless they can secure a US$500 million refinancing, and the deal will be a welcome boost to the American businessmen.

Ian doing his job for once then.

Good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Ian doing his job for once then.

Good.

that's a little harsh. He hasn't been in long has he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

that sponsorship lads, its not replacing carlsberg, is it?

or is it just another sponsor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

Wahay. We've heard all this before I don't know how many times of how he's gonna become great. Not to sound too critical of the lad. He's supposed to be a striker. Can you see him being Fernando's striker partner next season? Because I certainly cant. He needs to play on the attacking left or right of a team who plays 4-3-3. I can't see him any better this season to be honest. I think he'd be great at a club like Athletico. He might suit a 4-4-2 in Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Hmm, I wonder how fresh those Rafa comments really are - the original Echo story says he was speaking 'recently', and I thought he was meant to be on holiday? Obviously good luck to Ryan if he does stay, though £10m or anything like it would be *very* tempting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I reckon money wise persevering is our best bet, the risk is worth it - right now I reckon his market value is somewhere are 7/8 million a 3 million loss on the original 11 - at the end of last season he had scored plenty of goals and was probably worth something around 14 million.
    I don't think his value would drop significantly if he had another average season, however if he has a season even on a par with his first (hopefully better) he could establish himself as an important player or could get his value back up nicely.

Plus I like him and with the correct guidance he can become the player we need him to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

it'll be weird seeing those jerseys without carlsberg on them...

I still miss Candy :(

event wrote: »

Nope, just entering a partnership together.

On Babel, I'm a fan of his and always want to see him do well, but Rafa there's no point "challenging" him if he's going to watch from the bench every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I still miss Candy :(

and crown paints...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

event wrote: »

Carlsberg is not up until the end of next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

you are aware that Rafa sees the players play every day?

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    you are aware that Rafa sees the players play every day?
    What's your point? If Liverpool spend big on another left sided player, as speculated, and Babel busts a gut every day in training, I can see Rafa favouring the new lad. Especially if it's Silva. ;) And Babel probably won't get in ahead of Torres up front.

my point was that Babel was on the bench cause he didnt do it when given opportunity and tried to orchestrate a move back to holland and Riera was doing well. he was hardly being hard done by.

my point was that Babel was on the bench cause he didnt do it when given opportunity and tried to orchestrate a move back to holland and Riera was doing well. he was hardly being hard done by.
    Is that so? :confused:

• Advertisement

that's a little harsh. He hasn't been in long has he?

Ask anybody on the PTS system if he's been doing his job.

hope so?

hope so?

Mike said Babel staying.
    I said that I hope so.

sorry mate, i thought you'd quoted me putting up the story about his move for some weird reason :)

Tevez still an option for Liverpool according to MSI.

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/england/32619/default.aspx
    According to his advisors, Tevez "will start talking with different clubs" later adding "It should take two to three weeks for *Carlos's future to be finally decided."

When asked about the possibility of a move to City the source replied: "It's an option. But no one option is more serious than another – City, Chelsea, Liverpool: they're all options."

Ask anybody on the PTS system if he's been doing his job.

Ian Ayre's job is to make money for the club.
    He'd been doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Where would you see Tevez fitting in if he does come? On the left and as a quality backup for Gerrard/Torres?

If we had him on the left and Kuyt on the right we would have the hardest working wingers in the League thats for sure, and 2 players capable of scoring important goals. Think he would fit in with the Rafa ethos, but I'm sure many people will see him as 'another Kuyt', and not being the tricky/creative natural winger that many are craving.

Can't see us getting him though, purely for the figure being put out there. It's probably more than our transfer budget, or at best a huge chunk of it. Can't see Rafa spending that much on a player whose best positions are already filled.

That said it would be an exciting signing and I wouldn't be complaining if we got him. I was dying for his signature a few years back when we got Torres instead.

Yay or nay from other Pool fans?

Would absolutely love to have him onboard.
    Reckon he would play on the left quite a bit but you also have to remember that plenty of his games will be if gerrard/torres/kuyt (:o I know even kuyt could potentially get injured) are out aswell - he'd just add another quality addition across all attacking positions if we could get him.

Yay from me.

Tevez can play on the right or the left, in Gerrards role or Torres' role. He'd play most games and would be an awesome player for us. Right attitude to be a Rafa signing.

Alonso
    Mascherano

Gerrard
    ---Kuyt
    Torres
    Tevez--

would be ****ing awesome tbh.

or, controversially, when teams park the bus, Gerrard could play in Maschs place, except obviously much further forward, something like....

Alonso
    Kuyt---Gerrard-Tevez
    Riera
    Torres

i really think that would work. but then again, i aint no manager :)

I like your ideas, Mr.

And yep, it's a yay from me too. I've been a huge Tevez fan since WC06, would love him in a Pool shirt. On the left, on the right to replace Kuyt now and again, behind the front man if (God forbid) Gerrard got injured, and of course a second choice striker along with Torres.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

Apparently Gerrard is now being linked with Madrid too. I'm a evertonian and i honestly think it would be a great move for him as he will never win the league with Liverpool .Also ye would get close to 50 million for him and could use the money to buy some players and rebuild yer team into a championship title winning one, what do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I dunno Mr Alan, I don't think Tevez is as good out wide, in fact I think he can only really play in one position, off the main striker. He'd be a great signing for any club, but given the particular system that Pool employ I'd be surprised if they forked out 25m.

I think Pool just need to add a little in depth, a few good quality signings here and there, not splashing out on a striker when the Torres-Gerrard combo works so well.

Plus the added factor of stealing him from United would be a nice bonus as well :D

I wonder would they brand him a Judas if he did come, or understand his motivations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I dunno Mr Alan, I don't think Tevez is as good out wide, in fact I think he can only really play in one position, off the main striker. He'd be a great signing for any club, but given the particular system that Pool employ I'd be surprised if they forked out 25m.

I think Pool just need to add a little in depth, a few good quality signings here and there, not splashing out on a striker when the Torres-Gerrard combo works so well.

usually for Argentina he plays like this

messi----aguero----Tevez

doesnt play well out there at all imo

Neither did Kuyt for most of his life.

Apparently Gerrard is now being linked with Madrid too. I'm a evertonian and i honestly think it would be a great move for him as he will never win the league with Liverpool .Also ye would get close to 50 million for him and could use the money to buy some players and rebuild yer team into a championship title winning one, what do you think?

Assuming you're not trolling: Considering Ronaldo went for 80m, 50m would be nowhere near enough.

Have you a source for this Gerrard rumour? Also can you explain how you came to conclude the bolded part I quoted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I'd still see it more messing with a good system that Pool have by trying to accommodate Tevez, I don't think he's a wide player, not even to the extent that Kuyt is!

And if Liverpool are refusing a move for Alonso and Mascherano, who are both quality players, why would they sell Gerrard? It's ridiculous. No amount of money would prise him away for the simple reason he is too loyal and valuable, and irreplaceable. And leaving because he'll never win the league is bull, it's the one he craves and will do anything to get.

if ronaldo is worth 80million, we'd want the same for Gerrard. It wont happen anyway, just signed a new deal recently & has said he'll be ending his career at Liverpool, plays same position as Kaka too. never gonna happen.

tell the truth now, did you just wanna say Liverpool will never win the league in the Liverpool thread? :);)

he is very good outwide imo, similar to Kuyt, not world class but very very good.

I think the addition of Tevez will be just wat you said above, more strength in dept, quality player if he starts for us out wide or centrally, and class cover for Torres/Gerrard when needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Neither did Kuyt for most of his life.

can't pay 25million on a player who is unproven in the position we him to play most in, especially when on a limited budget. for 25mill we can get a top notch wing forward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement