Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Sorry to change the subject lads, but dunno if some of ye seen the thread in Bargain Alerts for cheap football jerseys in Elverys. Big shout out for u2gooner \o/ :pac:

Not just the prem, some great value in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Official statement on Barry.

Liverpool Football Club have today released the following press statement.
    Liverpool FC Chief Executive Rick Parry said: "There has been a lot of comment today regarding our position with regards to Gareth Barry.

"This is not about questioning the Manager's judgement or the ability of a particular player. The owners have clearly demonstrated throughout the year they are willing to back Rafa in the transfer market and will continue to do so.

"It is obviously the selling club's prerogative to put whatever price they want on the player, but on this occasion Liverpool think the price quoted is too high."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drill...80809-2245.htm

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Tusky wrote: »

Liverpool FC Chief Executive Rick Parry said: "There has been a lot of comment today regarding our position with regards to Gareth Barry.

"This is not about questioning the Manager's judgement or the ability of a particular player. The owners have clearly demonstrated throughout the year they are willing to back Rafa in the transfer market and will continue to do so.

"It is obviously the selling club's prerogative to put whatever price they want on the player, but on this occasion Liverpool think the price quoted is too high."

bad link tusky, you got the .... in the link itself

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160851080809-2245.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Can't say I'm too disappointed about that. The ball is now in O'Neill's court. Barry is in a very awkward situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Well hopefully Alonso plays on Wednesday and Barry on Thursday and both get cup tied and the Barry thing comes to an end.
    I dont dislike Barry, I just dont think we should be continuing to chase him and spend £18 Million on him when we have Alonso already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Was there any earlier quote where Rafa said it wasn't about the money?

I saw the interview with MON today (from last week) were he says that we have until Aug 31st, after the deadline he had imposed, and I must say he looked absolutely pathetic.

If he wanted to keep his player, he should have drawn a line under it, but it's obvious he wants shot of GB, so he will be forced to lower the asking price.

I'm sure we'd all prefer any transfer dealings to be done in private, the whole saga has been pushed through the media to such an extent that it looks like a farce for both clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Can't say I'm too disappointed about that. The ball is now in O'Neill's court. Barry is in a very awkward situation.
    GBX wrote: »
    Well hopefully Alonso plays on Wednesday and Barry on Thursday and both get cup tied and the Barry thing comes to an end.
    I dont dislike Barry, I just dont think we should be continuing to chase him and spend £18 Million on him when we have Alonso already.

Maybe I'm missing something, but is this not a very disturbing statement?

Its saying:

1. Rafa wants the player,
    2. The owners have backed Rafa in the past (like fcuk they have!)
    3. Liverpool (i.e. Dumb and Dumber) think Rafa's wrong, and won't give him the money.

Thats what we've known for a few days now, but now Parry is coming out with an official statement on the LFC website declaring it i.e. Hicks & Gillette are publicly questioning Rafa's judgement, and saying they won't back him.

I'm very worried by this statement. Here's hoping that Rafa doesn't respond with a statement of his own telling H&G where they can stick their job!

Maybe/hopefully I'm taking this statement wrong, but I don't think I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

joe123 wrote: »
    Reina is far more important that having robbie keane in the team IMO. Id stick him in after gerrard and torres. Unsung hero.

I wanted liverpool to sign bentley all season. Keanes a good siging but way over priced. Hes 28 and I cant see how hes worth 20 million....Spurs got bentley whos 22 a right winger ( where we are weak) and they got him for an inital 15 million....

And one is a proven destroyer at the premiership level over an extended sample size; one has had about 18 months of promising football and may as yet end up being nothing more than an average premiership starter. It always baffles me that potential seems to be more valued than instant impact. Onsale value will be irrelevant if the potential isn't fulfilled - and when it is fulfilled / when the experienced guy sees out his contract at the peak of his powers as advertised the original price is worth it in of itself.

Spurs can have Bentley. I'll have Kuyt giving us absolutely everything he has got down our right flank every day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

rosboy wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something, but is this not a very disturbing statement?

Its saying:

1. Rafa wants the player,
    2. The owners have backed Rafa in the past (like fcuk they have!)
    3. Liverpool (i.e. Dumb and Dumber) think Rafa's wrong, and won't give him the money.

Thats what we've known for a few days now, but now Parry is coming out with an official statement on the LFC website declaring it i.e. Hicks & Gillette are publicly questioning Rafa's judgement, and saying they won't back him.

I'm very worried by this statement. Here's hoping that Rafa doesn't respond with a statement of his own telling H&G where they can stick their job!

Maybe/hopefully I'm taking this statement wrong, but I don't think I am.

Or "Liverpool" should be taken to include the manager aswell - meaning that Rafa also thinks the price is too high??

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Or "Liverpool" should be taken to include the manager aswell - meaning that Rafa also thinks the price is too high??

I hope you're right, and that I'm totally wrong, but weren't reports from during the week (including reports from TB) saying that we had the deal wrapped up, and it was just a matter of the yanks "loaning" Rafa the money until he has time to finance the deal through sales? If those reports were correct, I think "Liverpool" doesn't include Rafa.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/08/08/liverpool-s-gareth-barry-swoop-on-the-rocks-100252-21492180/2/

Whay did Rafa leave Valencia:
    Steely and determined, he left Valencia in tears after becoming dissatisfied with behind-the-scenes politics.

He also expressed his dissatisfaction over the club's failure to strengthen Valencia's squad with players he recommended.

Benitez reportedly said: "I asked for a table and they bought me a lamp."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/league_cup/4277763.stm

Sound familiar?

I took that statement to mean that Liverpool as a club (including Rafa) think that 18m is too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I took that statement to mean that Liverpool as a club (including Rafa) think that 18m is too high.

I very much doubt anymore that Parry would be making public statments like this without a compromise having been reached with Rafa..

Last week, it was rumoured that we met Aston Villa's demands and that they changed their demands at the last minute. This means that they either upped the figured or drastically altered how the agreed fee was to be paid.

Villa also seem to have successfully drove the price upwards from what was originally rumoured to be 13/14/15 million to 18/19 including Finnan. Would it really be a surprise if they they are attempting to drive the price up even further?

Considering the above and the lesson learned from the past (Rafa versus the board part 1), I would be surprised if Rafa hasn't agreed to cool interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sorry the chairmen intervening to say that they won't sanction the purchasing of a player for too high a price is pretty normal intervention for a chairman, nothing much new there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

GBX wrote: »

do people not read other posts? Barry cant get cup tied for the CL by playing in the Uefa Cup, so it brings nothing to an end. the speculation wont stop until Sept 1st...
    Last week, it was rumoured that we met Aston Villa's demands and that they changed their demands at the last minute. This means that they either upped the figured or drastically altered how the agreed fee was to be paid.

or the story isnt true and we never met Villas demand? i think you are putting way to much faith in the accuracy of the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I do know a very good way to ensure that this debacle does not continue. Buy somebody good. Everybody is happy.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

do people not read other posts? Barry cant get cup tied for the CL by playing in the Uefa Cup, so it brings nothing to an end. the speculation wont stop until Sept 1st...

saw those earlier posts, but sky sports news and all the reporters on the morning soccer show all appear to think you do get cup tied.

Does anyway have an actual link to the rule or did I miss it?

News of the World reports 18m can be used to buy Silva but not Barry.

I would be happy with Silva for 18.

17.18 One player from the above quota of three who has played UEFA club
    competition matches for another competing club in the current season may
    exceptionally be registered, provided that the player has not been fielded:
    − in the same competition for another club
    − for another club that is currently in the same competition.
    Furthermore, if the player’s new club is playing in the UEFA Cup, his former
    club must not have played in the UEFA Cup at any point in the current
    season.

http://www.uefa.com/multimediafiles/download/regulations/uefa/others/70/22/60/702260_download.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

the club are only saying what everyone else has been thinking. 18 million is a joke for Barry.

the club are only saying what everyone else has been thinking. 18 million is a joke for Barry.

English players swaping between English clubs are always over priced. Look at Darren Bent, Scott Parker etc. Silly stuff

I'd rather splash out on Silva too tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

if there was compromise I hope it was something along the lines of
    ok rafa if you dont spend 18m on a 28 year old we'll give you 40m for anyone younger,
    quite unlikely but here's hopin.

In an ideal world mayor :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I saw a bit of the Liverpool Lazio game. Not overly impressive although some stable displays by many, including many of the younger subs.

I have my eye on Robbie, as many of you will. We are the jury after all. He didnt do a hell of a lot, making most of his runs to nowhere really and not doing that much on the ball. Of course thats something that we are familiar with in an Irish shirt and a Spurs shirt. He didnt do a lot with his one half-chance. I'll keep my powder dry for now but so far Robbie has not done anything to change what I fear will be just a 'so-so' signing, and hence money not well spent. Its also arguable whether keeping Crouch as a sub would give us a different impact sub option, and this is something we wont have this season. Time will tell and the clock starts counting from the next match. I'll be watching Robbie very closely.

Spearing played well I thought when he came on, and looked comfortable on the ball and made good passes. Ironically, with Alonso, Mascherano and Gerrard in the centre areas (as well as Leiva), this is not an easy area to break into. Plessis got a lot of play time, he's okay, but again cente midfield. Dossena did okay, but it was only a game at friendly pace and he will only get tested in faster competitive matches. Ngog also did okay again.

Ironically, it was Voronin who flashed in a goal, mind you it was in acres of space. Lazio should have netted one or two as well.

The season now starts in earnest ...... Enjoy !!!

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

It'll take time for Keane to settle in. Personally, I think it was a great bit of business for Liverpool - he's got ability and has an eye for goal. I just hope that Rafa doesn't bung him out on the left / right wing too often, though I wouldn't hold my breath.

The papers reckon that after the Barry statement, Hicks & Gillett will try to placate an 'enraged' Rafa by bidding 18 million for Silva...

probably a load of rubbish though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

The papers reckon that after the Barry statement, Hicks & Gillett will try to placate an 'enraged' Rafa by bidding 18 million for Silva...

probably a load of rubbish though.

Would 18m get Silva?

Judging by the rumours of Valencia's finances, possibly. There hasnt been concrete interest from other clubs so far, so they may have to take what they're offered.

There hasnt been concrete interest from other clubs so far, so they may have to take what they're offered.

Not sure about that NBM:
    Sport - David Silva will only leave Valencia for Barcelona
    The Barcelona daily insists that the 22 year old Spanish international, whose contract negotiations with his current club have reached stalemate, has no interest in the rumours that he is a target for a number of Premiership clubs. It is claimed that Silva is unhappy that Valencia are not offering him the contract he feels he deserves, and that in spite of recent speculation linking him with Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool, his heart is set on a move to the Camp Nou. The paper believes that Barcelona are preparing a €20 - €25 million euro bid and have already reached a verbal agreement with Silva.

Marca - Valencia reject Manchester United bid for David Silva
    The paper claims that Valencia have rejected the Premiership club's €25 million offer for David Silva. For once, in agreement with its rivals in Barcelona - Sport and Mundo Deportivo - Marca claims that the player will only contemplate leaving Valencia for FC Barcelona.

http://guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?id=54
    Marca - Ferguson wants to partner Cristiano Ronaldo with David Silva
    The paper claims that Manchester United have lodged a €20 million euro bid, with Valencia, for the services of the 22 year old Spanish international midfielder. The Premiership side are prepared to raise their offer to €25 million, but, according to Marca, they will face competition from Arsenal who have also made an official enquiry. Contract talks with Valencia have stalled, and while the player is also said to have received an offer from Barcelona, the Catalans are yet to lodge a formal bid with Valencia.

http://guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?id=53

Theres little posting up links to Marca articles. They are awful. Really really bad and totally unreliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its also arguable whether keeping Crouch as a sub would give us a different impact sub option, and this is something we wont have this season

This was never an option, Crouchy wanted out and so he left.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

i didnt see anything from silva in the euro's that i wouldnt expect from Downing(who would have no problem adapting)
    i actually feel very sorry for Gareth Barry over this whole thing and am a bit embarrassed by the behavior of lfc during this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

raven136 wrote: »
    i didnt see anything from silva in the euro's that i wouldnt expect from Downing(who would have no problem adapting)
    i actually feel very sorry for Gareth Barry over this whole thing and am a bit embarrassed by the behavior of lfc during this.

I thought Silva wasn't great at the Euro's myself (although some felt he did well), I wouldn't expect a huge amount from him to be honest. I wouldn't buy Downing though, I just don't think he's good enough, he fairly overrated, he's getting credit at a small club just like Pennant was at Birmingham

And he too would suffer from the english overinflation effect ala Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Good piece from football 365, even with Barry out of the equation.

How Liverpool Measure Up

Starting our assessment of how each of the Big Four's squads measure up, we take a look at Liverpool. Benitez has been a busy man this summer but it's been worth the hassle. This is the best squad of his reign...

There are two reasons to regard Liverpool's squad with greater respect than twelve months ago.

The first is a consequence of the indisputable proof provided by Fernando Torres in the intervening period that demonstrated not he is a top-class striker, worthy of comparison with any other performer in the league. The second involves a leap of faith in Rafa Benitez and is dependent on the assumption that the Spaniard will be a better Premiership manager for another year in England and that the value of his judgements should be treated accordingly.

In that sense, it must be encouraging that Benitez's main purchase this summer
    is a tried-and-proven Premiership player in the form of Robbie Keane. Another should follow in the shape of Gareth Barry. The Spaniard won't admit in public that the English league rather than the Champions League is his priority this term but his decision to spend the bulk of his transfer kitty in England rather than Spain and Europe is telling.

Even if he does not acquire Barry, Benitez's wheeling and dealing this summer has produced a well-balanced and strong squad with no obvious weaknesses. Naturally, those of an Anfield allegiance will fear an injury to Torres, although that is as much testimony to his ability as acknowledgment that reassuring cover is absent. In any case, Benitez deliberately pursued Keane, rather than an outstanding winger, both to provide Torres with a partner as well as add an extra dimension to Liverpool's attack. His arrival also provides Benitez with tactical flexibility as, depending on circumstance and opposition, the Spaniard will be able to deploy his team either in the form of a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1. The latter system is particularly enticing given that it would liberate Steven Gerrard along with Keane and either Ryan Babel, Dirk Kuyt or Yossi Benayoun.

For the most part, Javier Mascherano and either Xabi Alonso or Barry will provide the platform behind whichever combination Benitez selects, but the additional availability of both Lucas and Damien Plessis - a French youngster who impressed both on his debut against Arsenal in April and during pre-season - will offer further scope for rotation. Gerrard's appearances in the centre may confined to the memory, with the Pool captain apparently destined to feature either on the right of midfield or as part of an attacking triumvirate. It is reasonable to assume that even if a 4-2-3-1 plays to Torres' strengths, Benitez also had Gerrard - and the perennial question of where his best position is - in mind when he first considered the system's introduction.

There are plenty of options at full-back as well, although the purchases of Philipp Degen and Andrea Dossena should signal stability on both flanks. Yet it is the centre of Liverpool's defence that the strength of their squad is most evident with the equally-excellent Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger vying to be Jamie Carragher's partner. Sami Hyypia should not be embarrassed at being considered fourth-choice.

What they lack in width, Liverpool boast in spine.

All Bases Covered? How The Liverpool Squad Measures Up
    Goalkeeper: Pepe Reina, Diego Cavalieri.
    Right-Back: Philipp Degen, Alvaro Arbeloa, Steve Finnan.
    Left-Back:Andrea Dossena, Fabiano Aurelio, Emiliano Insua.
    Centre-Half: Jamie Carragher, Daniel Agger.
    Centre-Half: Martin Skrtel, Sami Hyppia.
    Right-Midfield: Steven Gerrard, Jermaine Pennant.
    Centre-Midfield: Javier Mascherano, Lucas.
    Centre-Midfield: Xabi Alonso, Damien Plessis.
    Left-Midfield: Ryan Babel, Yossi Benayoun.
    Striker: Robbie Keane, Dirk Kuyt, Krisztian Nemeth.
    Striker: Fernando Torres, Andrei Voronin, David Ngog.

That's quite a glowing report :) Same old football365 though :)

PHB wrote: »
    That's quite a glowing report :) Same old football365 though :)

Not the same old football365 that I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I thought it was fair and balanced. Nothing wrong with optimism. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Boggles wrote: »
    Good piece from football 365, even with Barry out of the equation.

I thought the article for very optimistic, perhaps over-optimistic.

Although he does mention the 4-2-3-1 formation and how that uses the attributes of Gerrard and Torres, he then omits to mention the fact that Keane doesnt fit into that system, as Keane out right would surely not be using his attributes to its best. Robbie wont defend ala Kuyt and is not a winger-type of player like Pennant or Babel (who also can come inside).

Herbieflowers> I just hope that Rafa doesn't bung him out (Keane) on the left

Well, its a problem, because if he plays 4-4-2 which Torres and Keane would fit into, its not a formation that would suit Gerrard in the centre, and we got proven success with 4-2-3-1 with Gerrard and Torres last season. Sticking either Gerrard out 'wide' or Keane is gonna compromise one or the other player. So we cant 'accomodate' both Keane and Gerrard so easily in my opinion. At least not in the difficult games. Stoke, yes, but hey, thats not a real test.

I still dont think that Robbie was a solution that Liverpool were looking for. And I dont think we have the squad to strongly challenge for the league title. We are very open to injuries to a few of our key players, such as Gerrard and Torres and Jamie.

Positives are at the back with quite a number of options. Skrtel and Agger are good. Cavalieri looks good too. Full back options seem all reasonable.

A lot will depend on what Man Utd and Chelsea do, as well as Arsenal. I reckon that Man Utd will hiccup this season more than last, maybe it is Chelsea's year, or maybe Arsenal will put in a good run. I think Liverpool do have a team to do well, certainly top-4, but I think we are still a Torres-like player short (in the attacking 3rd) of mounting a super-tough title challenge. Gareth Barry wasnt the solution. I dont think Robbie will be either. David Villa may have been, and could have been bought perhaps pre the Euro's.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

redspider wrote: »
    And I dont think we have the squad to strongly challenge for the league title. We are very open to injuries to a few of our key players, such as Gerrard and Torres and Jamie.

If we loose carra to injuries i think skertel and aggar will be more than capable of stepping up.

I think benitez was hoping to get barry as cover for gerrards position but if we are stuck robbie/benni can slot in to that position. I would hope lucas will be able to make the step up but i dont know.

If we loose Torres we either gamble with some of the younger strikers and stick with the usual formation or change it and play kyut and keane 4-4-2

If we loose gerrard and torres we are in a lot of trouble.

• Advertisement

The article is funny for this reason
    What they lack in width, Liverpool boast in spine.

No doubt. That's why Liverpool are better than 16 other teams in the premiership. However the other 3 boast both in width and spine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

no more so than any team losing their best 2 players. Rooney and Ronaldo, Adebayour and fabegas or Lampard and Drogba.

simple fact it we have a stronger squad than this time last year, i am optimistic as to our chances. I would love to be still involved in a race come March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

prendy wrote: »

simple fact it we have a stronger squad than this time last year, i am optimistic as to our chances. I would love to be still involved in a race come March.

or even November ;)

Mouriniho thinks its Liverpools year, baha.
    JOSE: THIS COULD BE LIVERPOOL`S YEAR
    Posted 11/08/08 10:22
    EmailPrintSave

Optimism about Liverpool's title chances are not just limited to the fans - former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho believes this could be their year.

Talking about the Premier League title race, Mourinho dismissed Arsenal's chances but talked up the prospects of Liverpool.

"I saw Arsenal. They have a good team but have a small group of experienced players. The second group is full of boys," Mourinho told The Sun.

"They have talent but maybe Arsenal are without the depth needed to win the title.

"Man United and Chelsea will be fighting but one day Liverpool are going to get that title. I think it might be this year."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

“Riise and Kewell have gone, Aurelio is injured, Leto does not have a work permit and Babel is at the Olympic Games and could come back injured so we can improve in that area.”

It was pointed out to Benitez that Barry can also play down the left, and the Reds boss added: “He can play in three different positions, which is a positive thing, but I am talking about one player – I don’t say the name.”

Asked if that player would be Barry, he smiled and said: “We can improve, so we will try to improve.”

Asked further whether he would be given the money for Barry, he went on: “I think it is not a question of money.

“He is English and you need four local players and four English. He can play in three different positions but I’m not talking about him because we are talking about a player who can play on the left.

This is what sums it up for me.
    Rafa isn't talking about Barry here.
    Simple as that.

Rafa says that Barry is an English player who can play in a number of positions, but that he's not talking about him, cause he's talking about a player for the left.

That shopws me that A, we're signing a wide player in the next day or so, and B that if Barry comes, he won't ne on the left.

This is what sums it up for me.
    Rafa isn't talking about Barry here.
    Simple as that.

Rafa says that Barry is an English player who can play in a number of positions, but that he's not talking about him, cause he's talking about a player for the left.

That shopws me that A, we're signing a wide player in the next day or so, and B that if Barry comes, he won't ne on the left.

Hmm - has to be Downing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Hmm - has to be Downing.

I was thinking the same.
    All this talk of Silva is too good to even contemplate, Downing it is.

I'd be happy with Downing though.

Silva is defo a better player but I think it would take him quite a while to settle in and get used to the PL.. Downing would offer something immediately. This fits in with the signing of Keane and attempts to sign Barry over cheaper and better foreign based players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

“He is English and you need four local players and four English. He can play in three different positions but I’m not talking about him because we are talking about a player who can play on the left.

I'd be happy with Silva or Downing. Will trust Rafa on the Barry transfer but like most fans would not be gutted to see it peter out.

What's Rafa's idea of a local player anyway? Would Gerrard and Carra be local or English?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

downing could be a good signing if and its a big if he can face the step up from boro.hardly going to cost less than 12m or so though is he?

Off the top of my head i cant think of another left winger that rafa could sign from the premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I dunno, Boro don't necessarily need to sell - he's young, promising...could be expensive.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement