Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

joe123 wrote: »
    All three goals were quality and just define what an all rounder Torres is.

First was a perfect placed shot great great goal, second was a pure poachers instinct and 3rd was a great header.

I felt a bit sad seeing how well Villa and Torres worked together but happy knowing we have the best striker in the world :pac:

Id say he will look well in uniteds number 7 jersey next season :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

this is getting a little tiresome :rolleyes:

love to see Rafa bid for Rooney, just for a laugh like :)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    if we could get villa, would people be happy to see Alonso go, ie:make way for 4-4-2.

never gonna happen, just curious like :)

I'd rather keep Alonso hands down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rooney nah the game winner that is John O'Shea for me - would be nice to see another Waterford man at Anfield. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Can you imagine rooneys response to a liverpool bid :pac::pac: Given his united loyalty and his everton roots, it would be hillarious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,145 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Mr Alan wrote: »
    if we could get villa, would people be happy to see Alonso go, ie:make way for 4-4-2.

never gonna happen, just curious like :)

I still wouldnt want to lose Alonso and go for a 4-4-2.We have the perfect template for the players we have.The role Gerrard plays suits his talents in a way 4-4-2 cant and Masch doesnt have the offensive ability on the ball to play in a non dm role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

I'd like to switch to 4-4-2 no bother if its meant someone like David Villa being signed. Two holding mid fielders is too negative

lint316 wrote: »
    I'd like to switch to 4-4-2 no bother if its meant someone like David Villa being signed. Two holding mid fielders is too negative

and yet we scored the most goals in the league with them.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    and yet we scored the most goals in the league with them.
    And drew with Stoke twice. Who's to say we wouldn't score more goals without them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

so change formation even though the 4-2-3-1 has led us to our highest points total?

I dont understand this. We should be signing players to suit our formation, thats why keane didnt work out. We have the best striker and Atticking midfielder in the world so why change formation and disrupt the partnership?

as for being too negative? Maybe against the bottom 3 or 4 teams but against everyone else this formation allows gerrard to stay up top and attack teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

prendy wrote: »
    so change formation even though the 4-2-3-1 has led us to our highest points total?

I dont understand this. We should be signing players to suit our formation, thats why keane didnt work out. We have the best striker and Atticking midfielder in the world so why change formation and disrupt the partnership?

as for being too negative? Maybe against the bottom 3 or 4 teams but against everyone else this formation allows gerrard to stay up top and attack teams.

There is also the fact the the 2 players in midfield don't both have to be 'holding' players. United, for example, have played with Scholes and Carrick in the past - and other combinations of the CMs for United. In fact, I don't think United have an actual 'holding' midfielder (Hargreaves but he doesn't count...) so those 2 players really don't both have to be holding.

And drew with Stoke twice. Who's to say we wouldn't score more goals without them

a complete change in philosophy just when this one is bearing fruits is probably not the logical way to go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Yeah Liverpool were really negative last season with their +50 goal difference after scoring 77 goals, more than anyone else in the league and that's with their most potent strike force (Gerrard behind Torres) only starting 14 games together.

I agree it would be great to see Villa at Liverpool but it's hard to see where he would fit in.

malice_ wrote: »
    Yeah Liverpool were really negative last season with their +50 goal difference after scoring 77 goals, more than anyone else in the league and that's with their most potent strike force (Gerrard behind Torres) only starting 14 games together.

I agree it would be great to see Villa at Liverpool but it's hard to see where he would fit in.
    Why not Torres with the second stiker beside him, and Gerrard in the free role behind both of them. Thats more like the way Spain line up. Then play either Alonso/Mascherano in the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Neither Alonso nor Mascherano are holding midfielders in the way someone like Makelele for instance was. Mascherano, like Sissoko used to do for us (wish he was still here), is all over the pitch and often presses right up to the opposing defenders. He also got involved in more attacks last season (without great success, granted). Alonso doesn’t just sit in front of the back 4 either.

There is absolutely nothing negative about those 2 in midfield. For me there is no better balanced partnership in the world. If we were playing Stoke at home tomorrow, they’d be the first two names on my teamsheet. Playing 2 “holding” midfielders had nothing to do with those 0-0s during the season. They had far more to do with wasteful finishing, inconsistencies of our wide players and often being without our two best attacking players.

It’s just another nonsense doing the rounds in the media: Zonal marking, rotation, too many holding midfielders . . .

Why not Torres with the second stiker beside him, and Gerrard in the free role behind both of them. Thats more like the way Spain line up. Then play either Alonso/Mascherano in the centre.

Its all well and good having loads of attackers, but if theres noone to give them the ball...

Masch would be stranded on his own in the middle most of the time, and simply isn't a good enough passer for that role, likewise Alonso isn' quite a good enough destroyed in the middle to afford Gerrard a free role. If we're playing 2 strikers then Gerrard HAS to be back in the CM role, which isn't taking advantage of his strengths enough. Gerrard and Torres through the middle is Perfect. Like, completely perfect. I do agree we need to add just a little more guile, but i see it in the wing forward positions rather then strengthening where we're already nigh on as strong as anyone in the world.

Right. So you want to play two strikers. One player with a free role and only one central midfielder. F*ck me I know Mascherano is good, but this isn’t Fifa. We’d be rolled over by teams. Spain, you will notice, always play with 2 midfielders minimum. Usually 3.

Firstly you affect the balance of the team dramatically. You can't just put attackers on the pitch and expect them to knock in loads of goals if there's no one putting the ball into attacking areas for them.

Secondly you're breaking up the Mascherano/Alonso partnership which is the envy of most clubs in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ye have more chance of getting Rooney than Villa, bidding war already started if you believe the reports. It will be 50 million.

Ye will get Tuncay or someone similar.

• Advertisement

ok fair enough points. But what if Gerrard/Torres is man marked out of the game? Or Injured? or just not playing well that day?

Boggles wrote: »
    Ye have more chance of getting Rooney than Villa, bidding war already started if you believe the reports. It will be 50 million.

Ye will get Tuncay or someone similar.

Or Tevez, who we are apparantly meeting with today or tomorrow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

From the looks of it Rafa is going for a cheap RB and Cheap Support striker.
    Richards and Saviola for no more than 10 Mill would be a good deal in all fairness.

I think he wants to spend much (If he even has it) of his budget on someone like Silva.

ok fair enough points. But what if Gerrard/Torres is man marked out of the game? Or Injured? or just not playing well that day?

Play the 4 best attacking players available to us on that day? Worked fine plenty of times last season

Or Tevez, who we are apparantly meeting with today or tomorrow.

City are going to offer him 140,000 a week.

Game set and match me thinks.

So have Villa on the bench at 40million just in case, while first team places need improvement?

Play the 4 best attacking players available to us on that day? Worked fine plenty of times last season
    why didnt we win the league then?

because someone else got slightly more points.

Then Benayoun, Kuyt, Reira, Babel, N'Gog, Lucas, El Zhar, Aurelio, Agger etc. will have to step up to the plate.

• Advertisement

City are going to offer him 140,000 a week.

Game set and match me thinks.

Maybe. Probably.
    But not every player in the world will choose a team just above mid-table over a title-challenging side for 50K a week. Many would, but not all.

Maybe. Probably.
    But not every player in the world will choose a team just above mid-table over a title-challenging side for 50K a week. Many would, but not all.

But City are no ordinary mid table team now are they?

because when you take Gerrard and Torres out of the equation, our attacking players aren't quite at the same level as United's.

Actually, no, strike that. We didn't win the league because Rafa tried to flood our team with holding players in a bid to draw as many games as possible.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    because someone else got slightly more points.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Ye actually need Torres, Gerrard, Alonso and Masch ;)

So, em, 200 million should do :D

To win the league?

But City are no ordinary mid table team now are they?

No, but i'd put money on them not making the CL next year either.

You'd have the question the motivations of any player choosing City over a big 4 club at this stage.

• Advertisement

No, but i'd put money on them not making the CL next year either.

You'd have the question the motivations of any player choosing City over a big 4 club at this stage.

Tis not a big secret, professional footballers like money and lots of it.

because when you take Gerrard and Torres out of the equation, our attacking players aren't quite at the same level as United's.

Actually, no, strike that. We didn't win the league because Rafa tried to flood our team with holding players in a bid to draw as many games as possible.
    Your obviously having a bad day. Either that or else your a very angry person. Either way I'm not gonna entertain you any more. Bye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

rafa out! woop! woop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

no you wouldnt.
    if someone offered you twice the money to do the same job your telling me you wouldnt take it?

prendy wrote: »
    no you wouldnt.
    if someone offered you twice the money to do the same job your telling me you wouldnt take it?

twice my salary would make a huge difference in my life. Could you say the same in the case of a top-level footballer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Our transfer dealings seem to be taking shape. Saviola and Richards in, Dossena out, possibly Downing on loan. All good business, and if don't have much money I'd be happy with this. Or Negredo, presumably as an alternative to Saviola.

And it remains to be seen whether we have the funds for a big money signing such as Silva, but if we switch attention from Johnson to Richards I would assume it's so money can be spent elsewhere.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/06/14/liverpool-fc-rumour-mill-micah-richards-chase-juventus-linked-with-dossena-stewart-downing-loan-deal-saviola-deal-close-negredo-linked-92534-23875004/

Of course, it's all still rumour at this stage :pac:

Our transfer dealings seem to be taking shape. Saviola and Richards in, Dossena out, possibly Downing on loan. All good business, and if don't have much money I'd be happy with this. Or Negredo, presumably as an alternative to Saviola.

And it remains to be seen whether we have the funds for a big money signing such as Silva, but if we switch attention from Johnson to Richards I would assume it's so money can be spent elsewhere.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/06/14/liverpool-fc-rumour-mill-micah-richards-chase-juventus-linked-with-dossena-stewart-downing-loan-deal-saviola-deal-close-negredo-linked-92534-23875004/

Of course, it's all still rumour at this stage :pac:
    Why would he want Richards? As a 4th choice centre back? Doesn't really make sense to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

jonny24ie wrote: »
    From the looks of it Rafa is going for a cheap RB and Cheap Support striker.
    Richards and Saviola for no more than 10 Mill would be a good deal in all fairness.

I think he wants to spend much (If he even has it) of his budget on someone like Silva.

I wouldnt say that exactly...he has put in a bid of 15-17 million for Glen Johnson....who is a right back.

A friend of mine said he was watching sky sports news this morning and that Glen Johnson stated that he wants to go to Liverpool and we are now favourites to sign him. Havent heard anything myself though?

Why would he want Richards? As a 4th choice centre back? Doesn't really make sense to me

Richards is a far better full back than centre back. Although he wouldn't be first choice, obviously

If Richards was really 5m he'd be worth a punt. He's still young and i'm sure Rafa will improve him. He'd provide good cover in a few positions. And he'd be another Association trained player for the CL squad.

Johnson is the better player.

If he were to go for 15 million.

Pompey owe 7ish already and Roma owe 3ish for Riise. So in the region of 5m cash would get you a full back/decent winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Footballers, like lots of other people, tend not to demand the highest wages they can get because they think they need the money but because they think that wages signal their worth in comparison to other players. If Tevez thinks he is better than some players earning £120k a week, and maybe he is, then he'd probably consider it silly to agree to less than that.

shotamoose wrote: »
    Footballers, like lots of other people, tend not to demand the highest wages they can get because they think they need the money but because they think that wages signal their worth in comparison to other players. If Tevez thinks he is better than some players earning £120k a week, and maybe he is, then he'd probably consider it silly to agree to less than that.

True, but then some players would rather be challenging for trophies, and consider that more importsnt

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

If money is an issue, and chances are there's more truth than spin in those reports, then Saviola & Richards minus Dossena for a potential net 6m is great business.
    Saviola would shine in the PL I reckon, while Richards in new surroundings could re-emerge as the star he looked to be a couple of seasons ago.

Actually even if there is money there, I'd be more inclined to pay the 5 for Richards than 15/17 for Johnson, and use the excess to go after a really good wide/support player. Johnson's blown up at a big club once already, no reason it won't happen again.

Go Rafa! :pac:

At 5mill, id quite like Micah tbh, lot of potential as a RB with the right tuition. Would be sufficient cover and could develop into a very good first choice. Such a powerful player, big and very fast, and at RB is less of a liability with his less then excellent reading of the game.

Could be like the next Jamie Carra, developing his reading to move back into the CB position when he hits about 26 and has matured.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement