Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

True, but then some players would rather be challenging for trophies, and consider that more importsnt

That's true too, and some also want a pretty much guaranteed first team start, and so on. The list of things players want is pretty long, but their salary is one of the few things a club can actually guarantee ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

I think we could see Richards and Johnson at Anfield next season with Arbeloa moving on. He has been linked with an £8million move to Madrid

Richards I don't really rate tbh.

Johnson is a quality player and I hope we sign him. Not sure if we can afford him though.

Is there any solid links on Arbeloa leaving or just tabloid talk?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

joe123 wrote: »
    I wouldnt say that exactly...he has put in a bid of 15-17 million for Glen Johnson....who is a right back.

A friend of mine said he was watching sky sports news this morning and that Glen Johnson stated that he wants to go to Liverpool and we are now favourites to sign him. Havent heard anything myself though?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1192865/Liverpool-Chelsea-Manchester-City-18m-fight-Glen-Johnson.html

;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Is there any solid links on Arbeloa leaving or just tabloid talk?

Tabloid talk that has been going on for a year now mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if glen johnson goes to chelsea, again, he must be a bit of a t*t.

it would be a waste of his and utd's time given the fact they have brown and rafael.

liverpool must surelybe the one....

surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

SlickRic wrote: »
    if glen johnson goes to chelsea, again, he must be a bit of a t*t.

it would be a waste of his and utd's time given the fact they have brown and rafael.

liverpool must surelybe the one....

surely.
    This is Fact, no??
    We'll have to wait and see. I have a sneaky feeling Liverpool offered a lot less money than City and Chelsea. I'd really like if we signed him but 15-18 million is way too much for him.

lint316 wrote: »
    15-18 million is way too much for him.

yup.

this is my only problem with the whole deal.

i don't see Rafa paying all that money for a full back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I just can't see Johnson to Liverpool. When Liverpool need to spend money up front, it would be nuts to pay for Johnson at the prices kicking around for him. Maybe the logic is that to provide width, he is going to invest in much more attacking full backs. But Arbeloa isn't that much worse than Johnson, infact on form I'd say he's equally good if not better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

yup.

Why not? Full-back is as important a position as any, arguably it's becoming one of the most important positions as less teams use wingers so the full-backs are required to get up and down the line more.
    It's like when people say "it's a lot of money for a goalkeeper."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

yup.

Yeah but I could see Rafa thinking about using Johnson as a right winger also. With Kuyts defensive ability and Johnsons Attacking Ability our right wing would be greatly improved with them two helping each other.

Anything over 15 million though is alot for him though.

I HATE full-backs being played on the wing. Hardly any of them are any good at it. It requires a different attacking approach, more cleverness and trickery as opposed to the more direct running you expect from a wing-back. I really hope if we sign Johnson that's not our plan for him

I HATE full-backs being played on the wing. Hardly any of them are any good at it. It requires a different attacking approach, more cleverness and trickery as opposed to the more direct running you expect from a wing-back. I really hope if we sign Johnson that's not our plan for him

I agree. But the whole over lapping full back is a great way of getting in crosses. And Johnson has a great cross on him and having Torres pinging them off his head into the back of the net all day long.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Does Johnson take corners?

I've thought for a long time that Gerrard would be more dangerous on the receiving end of corners than he seems to be at taking them?

Is there someone we already have who might be better? Aurelio, maybe?

I would like aurelio/alonso/riera to start on corners for a bit to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

PHB wrote: »
    I just can't see Johnson to Liverpool. When Liverpool need to spend money up front, it would be nuts to pay for Johnson at the prices kicking around for him. Maybe the logic is that to provide width, he is going to invest in much more attacking full backs. But Arbeloa isn't that much worse than Johnson, infact on form I'd say he's equally good if not better.

its beyond laughable considering liverpool didn't want to spend £8m for Daniel Alves 3 years ago

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/5078450.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

ok fair enough points. But what if Gerrard/Torres is man marked out of the game? Or Injured? or just not playing well that day?

You can't, and never will, win every game. You seem to have the mentality of a 12 year old.

We don't play 4-4-2. Nearly everytime we play 4-4-2, the players look lost. The players that we have virtually all suit a 4-2-3-1. It has taken a number of seasons of building to reach where we are now. You don't abandon years of planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

lint316, Rafa has been building his "Valencia on Sea" team since he arrived and that means no 4-4-2 unless special circumstances force it.

To win the league?

Nope, to be able to compete with the best possession teams out there and beat the likes of barca.

The heart of the United teams is extremely weak for a top club. Fortunately for them, the players surrounding the core of the team are top class and this is what is needed to beat the majority of teams in the league.

Tis exactly where Liverpool come up short and draw games that United often win.

Why not? Full-back is as important a position as any, arguably it's becoming one of the most important positions as less teams use wingers so the full-backs are required to get up and down the line more.
    It's like when people say "it's a lot of money for a goalkeeper."

i'd think about paying it;

but Rafa might be a bit more thrifty than you or me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

You can't, and never will, win every game. You seem to have the mentality of a 12 year old.

We don't play 4-4-2. Nearly everytime we play 4-4-2, the players look lost. The players that we have virtually all suit a 4-2-3-1. It has taken a number of seasons of building to reach where we are now. You don't abandon years of planning.
    I have the mentality of a 12 year old becuase I think it would be suitable to swith to 4-4-2 if we signed a player like David Villa? You're a clever lad you spa

I have the mentality of a 12 year old becuase I think it would be suitable to swith to 4-4-2 if we signed a player like David Villa? You're a clever lad you spa

No, because any one of these retorts..
    And drew with Stoke twice. Who's to say we wouldn't score more goals without them
    why didnt we win the league then?
    :rolleyes:
    Your obviously having a bad day. Either that or else your a very angry person. Either way I'm not gonna entertain you any more. Bye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

you spa
    lol

PiE wrote: »
    lol

just confirming his age for us

just confirming his age for us

I hate when people gang up on other people in threads. Theres no need really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Just thinking about how great it would be if we did sign Tevez.
    Besides the obvious footballing benefits, the humour of it would be legendary.

We sign Torres and Sing the Torres song.
    They copy it and make the Tevez song.
    We made the joke version of the Tevez song.
    They make a joke version of the Torres song.

If we sign him, you know there'll be a new Tevez song.
    And you know that UTD will make a joke Tevez song.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself but.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I would jump around like a loony if we signed him to be honest, for so many reasons.

- First of all he's a class footballer
    - It'd be right under the noses of Man Utd
    - And I've been a huge fan ever since he emerged on the scene at WC 06, and then joined WH.

tevez_to_liverpool_2009.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,145 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

joe123 wrote: »
    I hate when people gang up on other people in threads. Theres no need really.

lost all credibility with personal abuse imo.

Anyway, I would definately prefer Saviola, Micah a wingforward over Saviola and Johnson.

i'll re-iterate what i said about him a while ago in the utd thread...

i'd like him at 20m tops, but it would be with reservations.

his actions at utd have been nothing short of resembling those of a spoilt brat.

courting us, City and Chelsea, arguably utd's biggest rivals, to further whatever agends he has, is bad form. let's be honest.

that being said, he's a great talent and workhorse. Anfield would take to him in no time at all i'd say.

• Advertisement

i'll re-iterate what i said about him a while ago in the utd thread...

i'd like him at 20m tops, but it would be with reservations.

his actions at utd have been nothing short of resembling those of a spoilt brat.

courting us, City and Chelsea, arguably utd's biggest rivals, to further whatever agends he has, is bad form. let's be honest.

that being said, he's a great talent and workhorse. Anfield would take to him in no time at all i'd say.

Disagree completely.

Tevez has wanted to stay at UTD all along.
    His attitude and actions have been exemplory.
    Ask any UTD fan and they will agree.

He worked his ass off, and all he wanted was to be given the contract he was promised.
    Instead, he was left on the bench, while Berbatov swaned around adjusting his hairband.

Fergie came out saying that Tevez wasn't worth the money that many other clubs were willing to pay.
    Tevez and the fans wanted him at Old Trafford, and Fergie refused to even meet with him.

So Tevez came out and said, I have to do, what I have to do.
    He has a young family settled in Manchester.
    So he doesn't want to move them.
    The only big clubs in the area are Liverpool and City.

UTD could have him signed to a contract a million times over, and Tevez has made it clear to the fans that him leaving is not his choice.
    So you can't blame Tevez for looking after his family, and thinking of his interests, rather than those of the team that's in the process of shafting him!

If Liverpool did to Torres what UTD are, and Torres had young children in school in the area, I could understand him going to Man Utd.

I don’t see a place for Tevez in our starting 11. Unless he replaces Kuyt. And for 25 million I don’t think he’s that much of an upgrade.

I don’t think

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Tevez
    Torres

Will work very well. I’d like to see some width on at least one wing. Riera gave us much better balance last season.
    If money were no object Tevez would be a great signing. As it is i’d rather we spent 25 million on a winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

If Liverpool did to Torres what UTD are, and Torres had young children in school in the area, I could understand him going to Man Utd.
    Or City to soften the blow on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Disagree completely.

Tevez has wanted to stay at UTD all along.
    His attitude and actions have been exemplory.

He worked his ass off, and all he waned was to be given the contract he wsa promised.
    Instead, he was left on the bench, while Berbatov swaned around adjusting his hairband.

Fergie came out publically saying that Tevez wasn't worth the money that many other clubs were willing to pay.
    Tevez and the fans wanted him at Old Trafford, and Fergie refused to even meet with him.

UTD could have him signed to a contract a million times over, and Tevez has made it clear to the fans that him leaving is not his choice.
    So you can't blame Tevez for looking after his family, and thinking of his interests, rather than those of the team that's in the process of shafting him!

You should read the United thread more because that bit in bold is a load of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Handsome boy modeling school..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Maybe not but doing so through the press and public moaning is not on.
    IMO.

You should read the United thread more because that bit in bold is a load of crap.

Ask any UTD fans "before" it became clear that he ws leaving.

Some "fans" are fickle to say the least.

Ask any UTD fans "before" it became clear that he ws leaving.

Some "fans" are fickle to say the least.

Again this is not true. People have been questioning all year whether Tevez was worth the 25 million that was/is being asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

16x9BenitezKeane_76095a.jpg
    ;)

• Advertisement

every utd fan does not agree.
    He worked his ass off, and all he waned was to be given the contract he wsa promised.

i don't know what he was promised; but was the deal not a loan deal. there was never a guarantee he'd be staying on. it would always have been thought of as likely, but never a guarantee.

plus he's started over 30 games this year, with another dozen or so as sub. honestly, he can dry his eyes. he's played plenty, including starting big games (Liverpool at home, 2008's Champions League final (after edit!), off the top of my head)
    Fergie came out publically saying that Tevez wasn't worth the money that many other clubs were willing to pay.

Utd have already paid £10m in loan fees, of course they won't pay what others will. i'm sure they're trying to negotiate in light of this fact. he's not worth approaching a £40m total outlay before wages.
    Fergie refused to even meet with him.

not sure this is completely true, but i'm not going to argue it.

fair enough. I'm not going to deny that if he has indeed been 'forced' out of OT, then he has to do as right as possible by his family. i hope that's true, and it's not just an easy way of trying to engineer the wages he wants for himself (and his advisors).

they're not 'shafting him'.

utd could have signed him to a contract, but if they don't believe he's worth the money are they not entitled to say no??

torres is pretty much the best striker in the world. he deserves the wages he's on, and the position at the club he has. tevez is not worth what he thinks he is, and utd don't have to sign him if they don't want to.

and there's no way you'd understand torres going to utd under any circumstance. surely. you're a better man than me then...;)

Again this is not true. People have been questioning all year whether Tevez was worth the 25 million that was/is being asked.

Value doesnt really come into it, the question was if fans were happy with Tevez attitude throughout the year, and i would imagine overwhelmingly they were. Despite not getting chances, worked his balls off every chance he got.

He probably isn't worth the 25mill, but his attitude for the team was excellent. Cant blame him for pimping himself out to other clubs now since united decided not to take up their option to buy.

Tevez would be a great addition to our squad and he has a fantastic attitude, united won't pay the asking price they agreed upon when they loaned him and if reports are to be believed they refuse to pay the asking price now. No wonder the chap is disillusioned at united.

If I were fergie I would get rid of Berbatov and keep tevez, he does alot more for the team as a unit.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Value doesnt really come into it, the question was if fans were happy with Tevez attitude throughout the year, and i would imagine overwhelmingly they were. Despite not getting chances, worked his balls off every chance he got.

He probably isn't worth the 25mill, but his attitude for the team was excellent. Cant blame him for pimping himself out to other clubs now since united decided not to take up their option to buy.

He hasn't just started pimping himself out. I have no problem with what he is doing now, however there were numerous times during the season when he would have been better off keeping his mouth shut.

He hasn't just started pimping himself out. I have no problem with what he is doing now, however there were numerous times during the season when he would have been better off keeping his mouth shut.

thats probably true. I do get the impression whatever he did was to put a little pressure on United to just get his contract sorted before the end of the season rather then have it come to this. Was probably hoping he'd have gotten the same treatment Mascherano got with his loan, where pool bought him 6 months before the loan contract as due to end.

16x9BenitezKeane_76095a.jpg
    ;)

owen3.jpg

:P

• Advertisement

In a world where Ronaldo is worth £80 mill
    Berbatov is worth £33 mill
    Crouch is worth £18 mill
    Johnson is worth £15 mill
    etc.....

Tevez is worth £25 mill.

In a world where Ronaldo is worth £80 mill
    Berbatov is worth £33 mill
    Crouch is worth £18 mill
    Johnson is worth £15 mill
    etc.....

Tevez is worth £25 mill.

in a world where torres is worth £24m, is Tevez worth that?

and that's ignoring the fees utd have already paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

owen3.jpg:P
    philipp-degen-andrea-dossena-rafael-benitez-liverpool-fc-nc.jpg

:confused:

in a world where torres is worth £24m, is Tevez worth that?

and that's ignoring the fees utd have already paid.

£24 Mill for Torres was a bargain. ;)

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    thats probably true. I do get the impression whatever he did was to put a little pressure on United to just get his contract sorted before the end of the season rather then have it come to this. Was probably hoping he'd have gotten the same treatment Mascherano got with his loan, where pool bought him 6 months before the loan contract as due to end.

possibly but you have been happy if Masch had acted the same way? I also think there is a different dynamic to the Kia and Tevez relationship, then the Masch and Kia relationship. Masch seemed happy to get rid of Kia and decide his own future (i.e sell me to Liverpool I will not go anywhere else), I don't get the feeling the same can be said of Tevez.

By all reports we have now met the fee being asked for Tevez but now he doesn't want to join because of the number of games he was playing. Which is fair enough, but he was being used the same way all season so I don't believe he would have signed in Jan even if we had offered the money and wages back then.
    :P

Not sure if you missed the point of that picture, I don't think it was a slight on Rafas transfer dealings, but more a Tevez will be another Robbie Keane. As he won't fit into your current system, won't get ahead of Torres and Gerrard into the first team, and doesn't seem happy being a squad player.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement