Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164755090616-1144.htm

Gerrard to maybe retire at 33?

i've also never heard him so defiantly say he'll stay at the club forever. always good to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i think this indicates (to me anyway) way have more than the rumored 20m to spend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

yom 1 wrote: »
    Its only being reported as such by the same crowds that you denounced earlier regarding the money situation. It seems as if the Johnson deal is going through and on it's own its just too pricey imo. Even if we get Richards for 5m, the Johnson deal is still overpriced. They are 2 completely different transfers.

It's only being reported as such as we don't know if Al will be sold or Micah signed, and for what values.

No teams (besides Citeh really) buy players all at once, it's always played out over a few years.

We know that Pompey owe Liverpool around £7,000,000.
    We know that the offer accepted is £17,000,000-18,500,000 including add ons.

That means we're talking at least 2 million of that being add ons.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Big, strong, fast, technically good on the ball - slightly suspect in defense (although playing alongside carra and agger with pepe behind I reckon this flaw will firstly be fixed quickly and less of an issue with the protection he will have)
    18 million is unquestionably over the odds but you have to pay at the moment with chelsea, man city and real etc with tonnes of money not to mention that those clubs have payed it forward to the likes of united and milan and I'm sure more to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Liverpool are always gonna have to overpay.

The fee will only be 17m i'd imagine if we win the CL & league (similar to the Carrick deal with Utd), irregardless of what people think now, that will mean Johnson will have been a good buy if we end up paying that much.

At the moment with the 7m owed to us from Crouch which being spread over a few years now written off the 17m figure, and the Dossinator most likely on his way, it could prove to be a good buy. shocked to read he was still so young, only 24 :eek:

Wouldn't have paid that much for him myself being honest, but i also would have taken Tevez over Torres at that time too :o so i'm obviously clueless! rafa on the other hand, knows what he is doing.

Any improvement in our squad is good news.

Nice to see Johnson spurn Citys money too if i'm being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Good signing if it's true.

A good left back now please Rafa.

Wait what? Why we have Aurelio and in Insua we have a potential quality left back. We definitely dont need a left back.

Im reckoning Arbeloa is on his way and thats why we got Johnson.

I still dont see why everyone keeps mentioning Richards for 5 million. The source was on goal.com/news of the world, hardly reliable.

Id like us to go for a quality forward now who can play up top or amr/amc/aml

....or David Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Mr Alan wrote: »

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

To clarify my other middle of the night post:
    good player
    should fit in
    an improvement
    still a bit dodge positionally
    overpriced

ooh in 6 months when he is playing well (hopefully)
    this place will be

SEE:P you were wrong

NO:mad: I liek the guy, I just think the price was too big

NO I remberer you said, la la la im off to support united if we sign him; its a disgrace

etc.....:o

all this if we sell him and him, its only 4 million really, is a bit :o

basic maths 18 is 18 no matter who your accountant is:rolleyes:
    (some maths teachers need sacking in this country, big styles!!!;))
    Big time +1
    Clubs like liverpool, the arsenal and utd should not match wages with West hams and Citys of this world, not anymore, not with the mad wages floating about and mad rich lads looking for a toy
    we pay this, you might win this, you want money ,go elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

joe123 wrote: »
    Wait what? Why we have Aurelio and in Insua we have a potential quality left back. We definitely dont need a left back.

I still dont see why everyone keeps mentioning Richards for 5 million. The source was on goal.com/news of the world, hardly reliable.

....or David Villa.

Richards is in the event of Arbeloa leaving.

David Villa will not be joining Liverpool.

Lavezzi is the most likely attacking target to join Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

elshambo wrote: »
    all this if we sell him and him, its only 4 million really, is a bit :o

+ 1 18m ;)
    elshambo wrote: »
    basic maths 18 is 18 no matter who your accountant is:rolleyes:

You needed your accountant to tell you that :rolleyes:

17m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

17m.

You accountant is obv better than mine, can i have his number:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I think it's a great signing for Liverpool, he seems the perfect attacking right back to accomodate Dirky, and when it all adds up we could be spending no more then £4/5m on him. You'd have to question is defensive abilities, but lets be honest they're hardly tested when your playing for Liverpool ;) He should fit in nicely, and I like the idea of Micah Richards on the cheap too, adequate cover for right back and centre half, maybe even left back if we're really stuck.

A left sided player must be priority now, followed by a decent cover for Torres. Tevez please.

joe123 wrote: »

....or David Villa.

Insua looks like the real deal and hopefully he can cement the LB spot for himself next season. Dossena is rubbish and Aurelio is weaker than any LB for the top 4 imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

17/18M(18.5 according to The Times) and thats probably a discount due to the fact Pompey owe pool money. Can't understand it, he might be good going forward, not even convinced he is, he was very dodgy defensively against Kazakstan, hardly the most equipped attacking team.

Bizarre signing unless Arbeloa is going, and if he is a backup is still needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I think it's a great signing for Liverpool, he seems the perfect attacking right back to accomodate Dirky, and when it all adds up we could be spending no more then £4/5m on him. You'd have to question is defensive abilities, but lets be honest they're hardly tested when your playing for Liverpool ;) He should fit in nicely, and I like the idea of Micah Richards on the cheap too, adequate cover for right back and centre half, maybe even left back if we're really stuck.

A left sided player must be priority now, followed by a decent cover for Torres. Tevez please.

lol -in the fee paid column its 18.5M, pool fans are the most creative acocuntants when it comes to transfers.:D

17m according to The Echo & BBC.

Thats what i'd go with myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

17m for Glen Johnson??? Jesus thats mad, great going forward but can't defend for sh1t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

slingerz wrote: »
    Richards is in the event of Arbeloa leaving.

How do you know? The only link weve had is from a crappy rag of a paper. Richards for 5 million is crazily cheap and I just cant see it happening.
    David Villa will not be joining Liverpool.

Yeah I know...:(
    Lavezzi is the most likely attacking target to join Liverpool

Again weve been linked a few times but honestly knowone knows who Rafas targeting regards the attacking role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Wow very shocked, didn't think we would pay such an inflated figure.

I think the transfer fee is far too much. I don't rate Johnson that much higher than Arbeloa who I think is a very good player, and essentially it looks like we will be swapping the 2 players with a 9 million loss.

However I trust Rafa in his transfer dealings, and if he is willing to spend such a figure on Johnson this could be taken as an indication that our transfer budget is higher than many of us (including me) expected. Which is great news.

Time will tell if it was a good deal. If I have one criticism of Arbeloa it was that he is lightweight/weak, and Johnson certainly isn't, he's a tank. I just felt that Arbeloa linked up very well with Kuyt and Gerrard on the right-hand side and rarely gave the ball away. Let's hope Johnson can continue this and add a bit more crossing quality/attacking threat.

Many have pointed to his defensive frailties. I can't say I've seen enough of Portsmouth playing to comment on this, but I would assume this is maybe what comes with being a very attacking fullback. If anyone saw Alves playing for Brazil last night, they were demonstrating how far up the pitch he was at all times and how it left Brazil completely exposed at the back. Yet no one would doubt Alves's quality. The RTE lads were saying that when you play with fullbacks so high up, you need a holding midfielder, which Brazil did not employ last night.

We have Alonso and, more specifically, Mascherano as holding mids. I have said before that Rafa seems to want the main width of his team to come from the full-backs. He wants attacking full-backs, and it will be attacking qualities, pace and the ability to get forward which will be prioritised. Johnson certainly has these attributes, and I feel he is the ideal mould of player to fit into our system. I think this is what Rafa is thinking and why he is prepared to pay over-the-odds.

I'll be dissappointed if Arbeloa leaves, and I still think 18m is too much for Johnson. But I could name a hell of a lot of other transfers that have been inflated. The nature of the market has changed. Fans are often complaining that we don't splash out, and don't compete with other clubs in the transfer market. But Johnson's signing (whether you agree with it or not) at least shows we are doing that. Let's just hope this isn't the whole of our budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Aurelio is weaker than any LB for the top 4 imo.

well when you're up against 3 of the best left backs in world football in cole, evra and clichy, that's not as bad as it sounds.

he's one of the more underrated players in our team, mainly due to the fact he's made of glass.

insua will be our first choice within a year or two anyway, if he stays injury free. and he will be a beast of a LB.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article6506040.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1

without meaning to open a can of worms, but i still can't get over the fact that people use Rafa's ability in the transfer market as a stick to beat him with with.

when you look at the activity each season & the net spend he has had, i really do think he is doing brilliant in it & i think the progress we make every year is testament to that.

i'd hazard a guess our squad now is worth at least 2or 3 times what it was worth when Rafa took over as well.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Wow very shocked, didn't think we would pay such an inflated figure.

I think the transfer fee is far too much. I don't rate Johnson that much higher than Arbeloa who I think is a very good player, and essentially it looks like we will be swapping the 2 players with a 9 million loss.

However I trust Rafa in his transfer dealings, and if he is willing to spend such a figure on Johnson this could be taken as an indication that our transfer budget is higher than many of us (including me) expected. Which is great news.

Time will tell if it was a good deal. If I have one criticism of Arbeloa it was that he is lightweight/weak, and Johnson certainly isn't, he's a tank. I just felt that Arbeloa linked up very well with Kuyt and Gerrard on the right-hand side and rarely gave the ball away. Let's hope Johnson can continue this and add a bit more crossing quality/attacking threat.

Many have pointed to his defensive frailties. I can't say I've seen enough of Portsmouth playing to comment on this, but I would assume this is maybe what comes with being a very attacking fullback. If anyone saw Alves playing for Brazil last night, they were demonstrating how far up the pitch he was at all times and how it left Brazil completely exposed at the back. Yet no one would doubt Alves's quality. The RTE lads were saying that when you play with fullbacks so high up, you need a holding midfielder, which Brazil did not employ last night.

We have Alonso and, more specifically, Mascherano as holding mids. I have said before that Rafa seems to want the main width of his team to come from the full-backs. He wants attacking full-backs, and it will be attacking qualities, pace and the ability to get forward which will be prioritised. Johnson certainly has these attributes, and I feel he is the ideal mould of player to fit into our system. I think this is what Rafa is thinking and why he is prepared to pay over-the-odds.

I'll be dissappointed if Arbeloa leaves, and I still think 18m is too much for Johnson. But I could name a hell of a lot of other transfers that have been inflated. The nature of the market has changed. Fans are often complaining that we don't splash out, and don't compete with other clubs in the transfer market. But Johnson's signing (whether you agree with it or not) at least shows we are doing that. Let's just hope this isn't the whole of our budget.

great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Andriy Voronin (Bayer Leverkusen, free); Emiliano Insua (Boca Juniors, free); Charles Itandje (Lens, free); Damien Plessis (Lyons, free); Mikail Alexandrov (CSKA Sofia, free); Jordy Brouwer (Ajax, free); Gerardo Bruna (Real Madrid, free); Ryan Crowther (Stockport County, free); Francisco Manuel Duran (Malaga, free); Ronald Huth (Tacuary FC, free); Gary Mackay Steven (Ross County, free); Nikolay Mihaylov (Levski Sofia, free); Marvin Pourie (Borussia Dortmund, free); Andras Simon (MTK Hungaria, free)

Some good free transfers there. Never knew they got Insua on a free. Thumbs up Rafa

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Andriy Voronin (Bayer Leverkusen, free); Emiliano Insua (Boca Juniors, free); Charles Itandje (Lens, free); Damien Plessis (Lyons, free); Mikail Alexandrov (CSKA Sofia, free); Jordy Brouwer (Ajax, free); Gerardo Bruna (Real Madrid, free); Ryan Crowther (Stockport County, free); Francisco Manuel Duran (Malaga, free); Ronald Huth (Tacuary FC, free); Gary Mackay Steven (Ross County, free); Nikolay Mihaylov (Levski Sofia, free); Marvin Pourie (Borussia Dortmund, free); Andras Simon (MTK Hungaria, free)

Some good free transfers there. Never knew they got Insua on a free. Thumbs up Rafa

I believe Insua was a makeweight for another argentine CB we had at one stage?

Yep, you're right Jonny. Was involved with Gabriel Paletta's move to Boca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Net spend is not the be all and end all of accuracy as it doesn't take into account additional costs such as Signing on fee's, wages and bonus

jonny24ie wrote: »
    I believe Insua was a makeweight for another argentine CB we had at one stage?

Paletta - he went on a free after costing 2 million

All I remember of him is getting an absolute roasting off Aliadiere & 'the Beast' in a Carling Cup drubbing against the Arsenal at Anfield.

God he was crap!

Paletta was good signing then? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article6506040.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1

without meaning to open a can of worms, but i still can't get over the fact that people use Rafa's ability in the transfer market as a stick to beat him with with.

when you look at the activity each season & the net spend he has had, i really do think he is doing brilliant in it & i think the progress we make every year is testament to that.

i'd hazard a guess our squad now is worth at least 2or 3 times what it was worth when Rafa took over as well.

It's purely because Rafa has been forced to sign more players in the lower range of transfers. If Ferguson could only afford one Rooney every 4 years and had to make-do with players in Kleberson's, Bellion's or Fortune's price-range for the rest of the time than his transfer record wouldn't be so lauded.

That link is excellent proof of how well Rafa has done in the transfer market. I always knew it but wouldn't have been able to quote exact figures, so this will be a real asset the next time I have to argue exactly why Rafa is a great manager! Does anyone who criticises him and his squad-building/transfer dealings remember just how bad our squad was when he took over?

Rafa hasn't been flawless in the market and has made some bad signings. But the upshot of it is our squad is vastly superior to the squad that he took over in every department. To achieve this in 5 years and with just £2 million more than Ronaldo cost Real is highly impressive, and really can't be disputed by any sane football fan.

It just boggled my head when some United fans were 'celebrating' when Rafa signed a new deal. Obviously believing the media and not looking at the facts.

It just boggled my head when some United fans were 'celebrating' when Rafa signed a new deal. Obviously believing the media and not looking at the facts.

Nice choice of words

Oh the double (I'm assuming) unintentional blow!

:P

An un-reliable rumour from Fans FC

http://www.fansfc.com/story/12579.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Fixtures For Next Season Leak

Arsenal's first 6 League games of next season leaked on Sky Sports News last night:

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.ph...x-league-games

Liverpool vs. Arsenal 19th September...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

The speculation is that Dosenna will be sold to in part fund the move for Johnson. However - iirc - Dosenna's agent said a week or two back that he'd spoken to Rafa and that Rafa was keen on keeping him. I know a lot can change very quickly and that if an appropriate offer came in he could be gone but it seems a bit unsual to give assurances directly to the player/his agent one week and then turn around and try offload him the next.

As far as I can see all this talk of Dosenna heading back to Italy is coming directly from his camp (i.e. him trying to engineer a move back) which ties in with what I'd heard a while back about his missus not being happy in the UK and having already moved back to Italy. But if Rafa doesn't want him to go he certainly won't be going.

Note - I said assurances to him directly rather than to the press so don't bother bringing up Keane again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

An un-reliable rumour from Fans FC

http://www.fansfc.com/story/12579.html

wow, already have more keepers then you can shake a stick at, Pepe, Martin, Cavaleri, Bouzansis, Gulaksi and thats not counting Itandje who the club would probably pay to be rid of at this stage. If this guy comes in id say thats probably both Martin and Gulaksi off

zing wrote: »
    The speculation is that Dosenna will be sold to in part fund the move for Johnson. However - iirc - Dosenna's agent said a week or two back that he'd spoken to Rafa and that Rafa was keen on keeping him. I know a lot can change very quickly and that if an appropriate offer came in he could be gone but it seems a bit unsual to give assurances directly to the player/his agent one week and then turn around and try offload him the next.

As far as I can see all this talk of Dosenna heading back to Italy is coming directly from his camp (i.e. him trying to engineer a move back) which ties in with what I'd heard a while back about his missus not being happy in the UK and having already moved back to Italy. But if Rafa doesn't want him to go he certainly won't be going.

Note - I said assurances to him directly rather than to the press so don't bother bringing up Keane again.

All sounded pretty open really, that Rafa was happy to keep him, but that if offers came in they would be considered. I get the impression all parties are happy with this situation.
    "We have spoken with Liverpool and with Benitez and we received confirmation that the club are keen on holding onto Dossena," La Florio told Sportal.it.

"However, we all know what the market is like and when a certain offer comes along then negotiations open up.

"So far neither us nor Liverpool have been presented with an offer but we did have contact with Juve last year.

"Dossena is fine in England. He would be happy to return, but under certain conditions. Juve are making their own evaluations and they will contact us if they are interested. We will wait."

Bouzanis is the Aussie isn't he? I remember watching him this season, he has a huge frame and shot stopping ability.

Release Itandje, WTF is wrong with Cava and all the younger lads you listed there?

Pepe will more then likely play every game anyway.

• Advertisement

Bouzanis is the Aussie isn't he? I remember watching him this season, he has a huge frame and shot stopping ability.

Release Itandje, WTF is wrong with Cava and all the younger lads you listed there?

Pepe will more then likely play every game anyway.

David Martin did well on loan with Leicester, and they want to keep him, so he'll most likely be sold at a profit, while Gulaksi i only suggest as leaving as otherwise i cant see where the new guy fits in, they'd be in the same age bracket, and the reserves get few enough games as it is. One of them out on loan i guess.

Forgot we also have Nikolay Mikhailov who was on loan last year in Holland for someone, didn't play much, was second choice there, probably another loan or sale. But yeah, as it stands we have 7keepers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Seems the Johnson deal is close. Rafa quoted in the BBC and Johson is quoted in the Liverpool Echo as saying he wants to go to Liverpool.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0616/johnsong.html

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

K-9 wrote: »
    Seems the Johnson deal is close. Rafa quoted in the BBC and Johson is quoted in the Liverpool Echo as saying he wants to go to Liverpool.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0616/johnsong.html

any chance you have links to the quotes? (not disputing they exist or anything, just haven't spotted them and really want this transfer to happen.)

http://www.as.com/futbol/articulo/arbeloa-italia-da-respeto-brasil/dasftb/20090616dasdasftb_40/Tes

I no speaka da lingo but apparently it says
    ¿Do you want to come back to Spain?
    It's something that is always at the back of my mind. I'm fine at Liverpool but I'd like to come back because I didn't really experience La Liga at the top level. I'm sure I'll come back one day. Away from football, I'm missing everything that I have back home.

Your name appears on the list of possible signings at Real Madrid
    It's always nice to be targeted by big sides, especially by this Real Madrid team that is being put together. They're trying really hard to build a great team. I've got one year left at Liverpool, but you never know what's going to happen.

¿Are you not thinking about renewing your contract at Liverpool?
    It's up in the air. It's likely that I'll stay only for the next year. That said, if an offer comes in they'll have to look at it and see if it's best for them to sell me now. It's all in the hands of my agent. I'm focusing on the national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

mike65 wrote: »

I think you should edit that mentioning it a quote from arby for dome reason i thought it was alonso nearly had a heart attack. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

mayordenis wrote: »
    any chance you have links to the quotes? (not disputing they exist or anything, just haven't spotted them and really want this transfer to happen.)

Relying on RTE I'm afraid.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I think you should edit that mentioning it a quote from arby for dome reason i thought it was alonso nearly had a heart attack. :pac:

Same here, jayus mike trying to scare the ****e out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

Hope we get Johnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nicked this from another sight, seems to sum up alot of opinions on Johnson on the thread.

Personally I think he is a good signing, the money is crazy (but not surprising), I don't think the scousers will be overly concerned though as long as there is a couple of other big money signings.
    How Much For A Decent Full-Back?

Florentino Perez has sanctioned the spending of almost £140m this week alone, memorably saying that "the most expensive things are the cheapest," as Real Madrid bought two of world football's most famous faces. But we suspect that even he would laugh himself into a fit at the idea of spending £18m on a half-decent right-back.

To anyone whose knowledge of football goes beyond watching Match of the Day, Real Madrid spending £80m on Cristiano Ronaldo is not shocking. Real Madrid paying Ronaldo over £500,000 a week is not that shocking either. Just like Zinedine Zidane and David Beckham before him, this man is a working merchandise advertisement who will bring 'fans' with him to Real from across the globe. Oh, and he's quite handy with a football too.

No, what's truly shocking is the idea of any club paying £17m (or £19m according to some reports) for a good but by no means spectacular full-back. That's a figure that would break the transfer record of every club in the Premier League barring Manchesters United and City, Chelsea and Liverpool. This is Glen Johnson we are talking about, not David Silva.

If Johnson were from anywhere but England, he would be worth closer to £9m. He has already failed to make an impression at a Big Four club, impressed (often in midfield) for a team fighting relegation and looked decidedly dodgy against the might of Kazakhstan. Yes, he was man of the match against Andorra (playing as an auxiliary right-winger), but that's like being the cleverest person in Backwardsville, Georgia.

Like David Bentley and Darren Bent before him, Johnson's 'value' has doubled because of his birth certificate. Some may cite the proposed 6+5 rule but that is not - and indeed may never be - in place in the Premier League. To prepare for that now by paying massive money for 7/10 players is short-sighted in the extreme. If clubs like Liverpool and Manchester City can think of no better use for the best part of £20m, then they're simply not looking hard enough.

Liverpool are of course the favourites for Johnson's signature, and fans are already trying to justify the exorbitant fee by saying very little money will actually change hands because of an unpaid debt for Peter Crouch. Never have straws been so tenuously clutched - under that logic Liverpool sold Crouch for about £2m, so there's been at least one terrible deal done. Whichever way you look at it and whatever the numbers on the cheque eventually written, valueing Johnson at somewhere between £17m and £19m is ridiculous.

That figure makes him one of the most expensive right-backs in the history of world football - we can only think of Dani Alves and Lilian Thuram who moved for more than that figure - and we would rate him (generously) on a par with Alvaro Arbeloa, currently second-choice right-back for the European champions and apparently worth just £8m for a team in Spain spending money like it's going out of fashion.

There are deals that look silly when they're made and then look in hindsight like moments of inspired genius (Marouane Fellaini and Kenwyne Jones spring to mind as recent examples), but it would be almost impossible for any full-back who cost £18m to exceed expectations. Whoever buys this decent Premier League full-back with a tendency to look defensively dodgy will get exactly that - for the price of something so much better.

I thought it was Rafa for a minute, till I read the one year in contract part!!!:eek:

Boggles wrote: »
    Nicked this from another sight, seems to sum up alot of opinions on Johnson on the thread.

Personally I think he is a good signing, the money is crazy (but not surprising), I don't think the scousers will be overly concerned though as long as there is a couple of other big money signings.

I wonder if the same journalist wrote an article about paying £18.6 million for Michael Carrick 3 years ago?

As you know Boggles, journos talk out of their arse 90% of the time.

I agree with you completely, Johnson would be a good signing IMO.
    To play as Rafa wants us to, we need really good wingbacks, and while I rate Arby, his heart doesn't seem in it.
    The money is ridiculous, but paying ridiculous amounts has been what UTD and Chelsea have been doing for the last 5 years, and they've shared 5 titles between them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement