Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I wonder if the same journalist wrote an article about paying £18.6 million for Michael Carrick 3 years ago?

I doubt it, Carrick was a central midfielder though not a full back, and the fee was 14 million rising to 18.6 depending on him winning 2 premeir league titles in a set amount of time, 3 in 3 season so the fee was paid.

If Liverpool get Johnson on a similar deal it will be better business.
    As you know Boggles, journos talk out of their arse 90% of the time.

It's higher than 90%, the piece does echo more or less exactly what has been said on this thread the past few days though, good piece IMO.
    I agree with you completely,

:eek: New Sig? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

if pool have loads of money fine, but paying 10M to slightly upgrade arbelo is madness. if arbelo is staying its sheer lunacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I wonder if the same journalist wrote an article about paying £18.6 million for Michael Carrick 3 years ago?
    its from the chick on F365 http://football365.com/story/0,17033,13320_5383548,00.html
    Boggles wrote: »
    I doubt it, Carrick was a central midfielder though not a full back, and the fee was 14 million rising to 18.6 depending on him winning 2 premeir league titles in a set amount of time, 3 in 3 season so the fee was paid.

If Liverpool get Johnson on a similar deal it will be better business.
    yeah, i think it'll be a similar deal to this alright, given that it was specifically mentioned that the price was including add-ons. If pool ever reach the point where they would have paid out the full amount, then the ends would have justified the means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Maybe it has already been said, but could the signing be to do with adding an association trained player to the CL squad, meaning another foreign player can be put in (that may or may not be already at the club)

~Rebel~ wrote: »

yeah, i think it'll be a similar deal to this alright, given that it was specifically mentioned that the price was including add-ons. If pool ever reach the point where they would have paid out the full amount, then the ends would have justified the means.

Exactly.

Exactly.
    Only if he does well and plays an important part though, surely?

Look at United - Carrick has justified his full fee due to the part he has played in winning 3 titles and a CL. United have been succesful and he has played a mojor part in that.

I would imagine, however, that we have probably paid full price for Nani, as he has collected 2 league medals, a CL winners medal and a CL runners up medal. United have been successful, he has not - can you say the ends have justified the means with his transfer fee?

Liverpool could win the league (please no!!) but it could turn out Johnson is a bit of a flop and only really subs in if Arbeloa is in need of a rest, or Liverpool are playing Burnley or similar. Liverpool would have got success, but not really because of Johnson, so would that still justify the fee?

Saying that the club(united/pool/whoever) will only pay the full fee if they are successful, thus the fee would be justified, is far too simplistic imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Can't believe we are paying 18 million for Johnson the money Portsmouth owe is irrelevant . Let city buy him then demand your 7 million back keep arbeloa (who is a better full back any way) and use the money to strenghten other areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Oh great Liverpool start away again in the league to Spurs

Only if he does well and plays an important part though, surely?

Look at United - Carrick has justified his full fee due to the part he has played in winning 3 titles and a CL. United have been succesful and he has played a mojor part in that.

I would imagine, however, that we have probably paid full price for Nani, as he has collected 2 league medals, a CL winners medal and a CL runners up medal. United have been successful, he has not - can you say the ends have justified the means with his transfer fee?

Liverpool could win the league (please no!!) but it could turn out Johnson is a bit of a flop and only really subs in if Arbeloa is in need of a rest, or Liverpool are playing Burnley or similar. Liverpool would have got success, but not really because of Johnson, so would that still justify the fee?

Saying that the club(united/pool/whoever) will only pay the full fee if they are successful, thus the fee would be justified, is far too simplistic imo.

Come on Mitch, I don't think it is that confusing, if Johnson plays a large part in Liverpool success then the end justifies the means, not if he makes the odd start against burnly and sub appearance.

The United example was Carrick not Nani.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Exellent! Thats a nice start, Spurs are lightweights and it beats Chelsea at home (okay we'd have won that one bar the refs intervention!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

1st May - Second last game Chelsea come to Anfield in a winner takes all showdown! Can't wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Not a bad start for Liverpool at all, at all. First seven games all very winnable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

Valencia ace David Villa would only move to England to play for Rafa Benitez's Liverpool. The £40million-rated Valencia hitman is being chased by Chelsea, Manchester United, Barcelona and Real Madrid.
    Yet Villa has told close friends he would only leave Spain to link up with fellow countrymen Rafa Benitez and Fernando Torres at Anfield, says The Sun.
    Amazingly, Liverpool boss Benitez is not even in the running for Villa.
    The Kop outfit cannot compete with Barca, who have bid £37m, and Madrid who have offered £35m.

Link

So all a bit pointless then! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Never mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Wow, a potentially epic final day game against Chelsea, thank **** it's at Anfield.:D
    our last game is away to hull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    our last game is away to hull

Damn you are right, I misread the article over on the official website. When they said that we were wrapping up the season at Anfield against Chelsea, I took the wrapping up the season bit literally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

:eek: New Sig? :D

;)

So away to Hull on the last day.
    Worked out well for one team last seaon.

A sign?!:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Okay new season new rules. No more talk of signs and the like. Lets just take it from week to week and see how it goes.

Hopefully we'll be able to field a weakened team by then too, for the right reasons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Hopefully we'll be able to field a weakened team by then too, for the right reasons!

There should be less reason to do that next year as there will be nearly a week between the final fixtures and the CL final.

There should be less reason to do that next year as there will be nearly a week between the final fixtures and the CL final.

true true.

Actually how will it work? Is it, final day of season, followed a week later by FA cup followed by CL a week later again?

edit: Just checked, Final League fixtures 9th May, FA cup 15th may, Champs League final 22 May

Very drawn out end of season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

1042 BST: Barcelona are to make a move for Liverpool keeper Pepe Reina after the Nou Camp club's talks with current number one Victor Valdes broke down.
    Full story: Daily Mail

From the BBC Website.
    40 million please. We'll give you him and Masch for 100m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

It really is silly season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

1042 BST:40 million please. We'll give you him and Masch for 100m.

Em no we won't

I find that hard to believe, they've stood by him through much worse seasons than last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

1042 BST: Barcelona are to make a move for Liverpool keeper Pepe Reina after the Nou Camp club's talks with current number one Victor Valdes broke down.
    Full story: Daily Mail

From the BBC Website.
    40 million please. We'll give you him and Masch for 100m.

It makes sense that when you have good players, good teams will be linked with moves for them. This is absolute rubbish in my opinion, Barca have stuck with Valdes long enough, they will want to keep hold of him.

PiE wrote: »
    I find that hard to believe, they've stood by him through much worse seasons than last.

Who? This is Valdez not being happy with Barca's new contract offer, not barca offloading Valdez

I thought Laporta said something about goalkeeper being a position that Barcelona could strengthen in (said sometime around the CL final I think)

Reine, being a product of the Barcelona youth system (i think) would be a purchase the fans would absolutely love

• Advertisement

Who? This is Valdez not being happy with Barca's new contract offer, not barca offloading Valdez

Which is why they will probably improve their offer, and keep him. Why shell out a crap load on Pepe, and probably pay him higher wages? Valdes does the job quite well for Barca. Obviously I believe Reina to be better. Valdes/ Barca / Agents are most probably trying to call one anothers bluff.I guess their midfield/ attack is pretty solid, so goalkeeper would be the only place they could strengthen, but if Eto'o is fecking off then they will be better prioritise something that end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I thought Laporta said something about goalkeeper being a position that Barcelona could strengthen in (said sometime around the CL final I think)

Reine, being a product of the Barcelona youth system (i think) would be a purchase the fans would absolutely love

You are correct he was part of their first team for two seasons before going to Villarreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Pepe must be one of the most expensive 'keepers around, not to mention the best. Hope he stays.

Right, so Masch and Alonso are out of bounds which means the Iberian moneybag pirates have to try and get any Liverpool player. Who's next?

mike65 wrote: »
    Right, so Masch and Alonso are out of bounds which means the Iberian moneybag pirates have to try and get any Liverpool player. Who's next?

kuyt1.jpg

Obviously there will be a "Rafa to Real" headline after the next leak of some sort of financial news that will be fabricated from numbers already in the public domain 6 months ago.

Reina's dad also played for Barca, and Pepe was a boyhood fan.

He's more than happy exactly where he is however.

Non-story.

Sorted!:D
    Rafa Benitez wins Xabi Alonso tussle with Real Madrid - Liverpool FC latest
    Jun 17 2009 Liverpool Echo

RAFAEL BENITEZ has won his battle of wills with Real Madrid, after the Spaniards admitted they have finally given up their long-running pursuit of Xabi Alonso.

Bernabeu president Florentino Perez had declared his desire to sign the Anfield star but it appears Benitez's steadfast refusal to budge has won the day for Liverpool.

Real’s director of sport Jorge Valdano said:

“With regards to Xabi Alonso, Liverpool made an announcement on Sunday and it seems they don’t want to sell him, so it will be hard for him to end up playing here.

“I’ve always liked him, since my first time at Real Madrid. I did a massive effort to bring him here a few years back, we met with Real Sociedad but when I left the deal slipped into the background.

Liverpool valued him at 18million euros last year because he wasn’t an essential player. But he is now. They’ve given him more chances to play and he has responded magnificently.”

Madrid, meanwhile, face losing out to bitter rivals Barcelona in their bid to snap up David Villa from financially-stricken Valencia.

Reports suggest Barca are prepared to pay around 50million euros, as well as offer players Bojan Krkic and Jose Martin Caceres, for the Spain international and Valdano admits they are not prepared to better that bid.

Edit: Also...
    Youngsters Ronald Huth, Godwin Antwi, Miki Roque and Gary MacKay Steven have all been released.

So Mash, Alonso, Arbeloa and Reina are off to Spain and Torres is off to united.

Roll on Sep 1st

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

rarnes1 wrote: »
    So Mash, Alonso, Arbeloa and Reina are off to Spain and Torres is off to united.

Roll on Sep 1st

So as things stand

Cavalieri

Degen
    Carra
    Agger/Skrtl----Aurelio

Lucas

Gerrard
    Benayoun

Kuyt
    Riera

Ngog

Let's be havin' ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

spockety wrote: »
    So as things stand

Cavalieri

Degen
    Carra
    Agger/Skrtl----Aurelio

Lucas

Gerrard
    Benayoun

Kuyt
    Riera

Ngog

Let's be havin' ya!
    That'll do until about 5 minutes into the first game of the season when Degen would inevitabley have to be stretchered off ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Javier Mascherano's agent is due to hold talks with Barcelona on Wednesday afternoon at the club's offices in Camp Nou regarding a move from Liverpool and the contract that could be offered, Goal.com understands.

The Argentinian midfielder has been linked with a move to the Catalan giants and now Walter Tamer has jetted in to the city to meet with Blaugrana officials.

No fee has been agreed with Liverpool, but Mascherano's desire to play at Barça could have helped push the Reds into allowing his representatives to hear what is on offer.

While manager Rafa Benitez has stated that the European champions would not have enough money to buy him, compatriot Lionel Messi has claimed he would like play in the same club side as him.

If a deal for Mascherano is concluded then that could see Toure Yaya's time at Barcelona come to a close after just two seasons as talks over a new deal have yet to produce a result.

The Ivory Coast midfielder's agent, Dmitri Seluk, has told reporters that unless a deal is done by next week then his client will seek to take up one of the offers from abroad that are apparently on the table.

A swap deal could even be in the offing with Toure heading to Liverpool, but his participation in the African Cup of Nations would mean that any would-be buyer will have to be without him for a month in the new year.

Would somebody please shoot Masch's agent?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

For the sake of the champions league being competitive next year, I hope Barca don't get Mascherano and Villa.

Yeah seriously like, would he not kop (pardon the pun) the fuk on?!

Would like to see Masch come out and say "im staying, this is ****"

Goal.com links should be banned.

Headshot wrote: »
    Javier Mascherano's agent is due to hold talks with Barcelona on Wednesday afternoon at the club's offices in Camp Nou regarding a move from Liverpool and the contract that could be offered, Goal.com understands.

The Argentinian midfielder has been linked with a move to the Catalan giants and now Walter Tamer has jetted in to the city to meet with Blaugrana officials.

No fee has been agreed with Liverpool, but Mascherano's desire to play at Barça could have helped push the Reds into allowing his representatives to hear what is on offer.

While manager Rafa Benitez has stated that the European champions would not have enough money to buy him, compatriot Lionel Messi has claimed he would like play in the same club side as him.

If a deal for Mascherano is concluded then that could see Toure Yaya's time at Barcelona come to a close after just two seasons as talks over a new deal have yet to produce a result.

The Ivory Coast midfielder's agent, Dmitri Seluk, has told reporters that unless a deal is done by next week then his client will seek to take up one of the offers from abroad that are apparently on the table.

A swap deal could even be in the offing with Toure heading to Liverpool, but his participation in the African Cup of Nations would mean that any would-be buyer will have to be without him for a month in the new year.

Looks like we'll have to sign Messi then.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

So... we're getting Messi? Rafa kept that quiet! :eek:

Edit; Beaten to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

spockety wrote: »
    So as things stand

Cavalieri

Degen
    Carra
    Agger/Skrtl----Aurelio

Lucas

Gerrard
    Benayoun

Kuyt
    Riera

Ngog

Let's be havin' ya!

Try again - Ngog is being linked with a loan to Ipswich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

funny that "****e in the transfer market" rafa is having wat, 5? of his signings supposedly chased by Utd,Real & Barcalona.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    funny that "****e in the transfer market" rafa is having wat, 5? of his signings supposedly chased by Utd,Real & Barcalona.

But sure we're broke Al.

We'll be selling the seats next.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement