Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Zidane.
    Figo.

both older than Gerrard when they made their "world record transfer fee moves"

but i have no doubt you'll explain why that is different :rolleyes:

Because Figo was 27 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

hmmm.. i really can't see a deal for villa and silva... and at 50 million it would be great business.. i'm not really sure how good silva is.. is he really that much better than riera? i thought riera did excellent last season, and with a season behind him and a proper pre-season i think he could become a really important player next season..

Now other then the price i think the probable signing of johnson is a good one... as already said by someone else he's good a good cross on him and he's only 24.. i think himself and kuyt could make a really good team next season.

I've only read back 5 pages so i haven't seen any of the talk about the fixtures.. Looks like a difficult opening month.. thankfully we dont have to go through any champions league qualifiers this year.. spurs and bolton away are tough and villa and stoke at home is pretty tough too.. Could be a really decisive month....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Boggles wrote: »
    Because Figo was 27 ;)

oops!

my point remains the same though, Ronaldo & Kaka aside, world record transfer fees have usually been paid for players in their peak years (ie late twenties)

i agree Gerrard is going nowhere for 80m btw, thats not to say he ain't worth it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

oops!

my point remains the same though,

Your point got more or less blown out of the water Al.
    Ronaldo & Kaka aside, world record transfer fees have usually been paid for players in their peak years (ie late twenties)

Not very late 20's though.

Mid 20's would prob be more accurate.

Boggles wrote: »
    Your point got more or less blown of the water Al.

replace Figo with Schevchenko if you still ain't grasping what i was trying to say :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

PHB-while it seems to be the case this summer, its also true to say that a lot of the most expensive transfers of all time have been for people in their "prime" (ie:late twenties)

I could quite easily see Madrid paying 30 million for Gerrard now. Chelsea too. Maybe even 40 million at a push. But there's just no chance in hell that he'd ever go for 80 million.

If Gerrard was as good as he is now when he was 23, I think he could easily go for the money he went for.

At 28, you've got maybe 4 years of your peak left. If you pay 40 million, that's 10 million a year for one player. That's a bloody tough outlay to justify.

sure you's are the same two lads who'd wax lyrical how Rooney is worth 50million plus! ;)

craaaaaazy talk from the pair of ye.

Gerrard is among the top players in the world, at his peak years now & still getting better all the time.

last year he was better than Ronaldo & Kaka.

if they're worth 80m and 56m respectively, then he's worth between 56m-80m, talking into acc he is a few years older than them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Oh my god, jesus christ. This isn't a bloody pissing contest. It's a simple bloody reality of transfers.

If there are two players, of equal talent, the younger player is always worth more.

Everybody would ****ing accept that if you took who's player is better out of the equation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭mada999

listen lads tbh as said by someone else already. i wouldn't swap Gerrard for any player....let them be Ronaldo, Kaka, messi etc..no way..there's no one who can change a game for liverpool like Gerrard..

Villa and silva for £50m would be sweet...can't see it happening tho...

someone earlier in the thread said something about Gerrard playin on the right..
    i think against some teams last season (that we couldn't break down), Gerrard should have been switched to the right of midfield. he was being man marked and had less influence on the game....when there's no break through i think the formation has to change.... a little like messi against utd in the champ league.. something unorthodox to keep the opposition on their toes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Jaysus lads Gerrard is going nowhere. Why are you even discussing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Kess73 wrote: »
    I would disagree with you, KingShankly, but I can easily see why a player like him would be seen as pretty much irreplaceable by the majority of people.

But no you see, you can't.
    If you did, then you wouldn't be making that statement.

At certain times in football, there's a special player.

Gerrard is just that.

His total is more than his sum parts.
    If Gerrard had gone to Chelsea, he wouldn't be as good a player as he is now.
    If he went to Real in the morning, he wouldn't be as good.

Gerrard is what he is, because of his attitude.
    His love of Liverpool.
    The love that Liverpool has for him.
    The respect and wonder that every player in red has for him.

In a very real way, the other 10 players play better because of Stevie.
    He's a real, real, captain.
    They worship him in a real sense, every bit as much as the fans do.
    What effect would him being sold have on them?

Maradona was like this with Napoli.
    Same thing.
    He was the same player, with the same skills, but at Barca he was a shadow of what he became at Napoli.

Beckenbaur at Bayern.

Dalgleish in the 70-80's for us.

Keane at UTD.

When a player reaches that status, it becomes more than just his skill and ability.
    You can get somebody to replace him, who's as good, or better technically.
    But they won't have the same influence.
    They won't inspire the players.
    They won't lift the fans.
    They won't be as good.

Gerrard would play at any other club for himself.
    But here, he plays for Liverpool.

No player is bigger than the club, that's true.
    But some are bigger than others.

Steven Gerrard is Liverpool Football Club right now.
    He's irreplaceable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Its funny, I was enjoying reading posts by non liverpool fans and then the liverpool fans come in and piss all over it.

This is a discussion forum, thats why we are discussing it.

There is a theory that having a player like Gerrard on the team can actually imbalance it. You might think its stupid and not agree but dont jump in to the discussion and tell people to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There is a theory that having a player like Gerrard on the team can actually imbalance it. You might think its stupid and not agree but dont jump in to the discussion and tell people to stop.

There was a period of time, particularly the 06/07 season where i thought he did this. He kept playing over elaborate passes and in particular running into other players positions rather then trust them to do their jobs. The amount of times i saw him running out practically beside Zenden and taking the ball himself there rather then trust his teammates and get himself into his own position, was driving me nuts. In Short, he tried to do far too much, to play every position and to be making and receiving every pass.

Since then however, i think he's developed a huge amount. He's a much more intelligent measured player now imo, and really seems to work a lot better with his teammates in his linkup play and his willingness to pass on the ball and make central runs himself.

I think the days of Gerrard imbalancing a team are long gone and, for me, he adds nothing but positives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Since then however, i think he's developed a huge amount. He's a much more intelligent measured player now imo, and really seems to work a lot better with his teammates in his linkup play and his willingness to pass on the ball and make central runs himself.

I think the days of Gerrard imbalancing a team are long gone and, for me, he adds nothing but positives.

Thats the Rafa effect, he knew where he wanted Gerrard to play but didn't have the striker ahead of him to link with, then Torres arrived. He tried to accomodate Crouchigoal, decided it wasn't working well enough and so made the switch to the system everyone seems to be florishing under. Gerrard seems to be very content making or scoring 35/40 goals a year so he prolly wouldn't fancy Villa arriving! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

ahhh, gerrard is full of himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

But no you see, you can't.
    If you did, then you wouldn't be making that statement.

At certain times in football, there's a special player.

Gerrard is just that.

His total is more than his sum parts.
    If Gerrard had gone to Chelsea, he wouldn't be as good a player as he is now.
    If he went to Real in the morning, he wouldn't be as good.

Gerrard is what he is, because of his attitude.
    His love of Liverpool.
    The love that Liverpool has for him.
    The respect and wonder that every player in red has for him.

In a very real way, the other 10 players play better because of Stevie.
    He's a real, real, captain.
    They worship him in a real sense, every bit as much as the fans do.
    What effect would him being sold have on them?

Maradona was like this with Napoli.
    Same thing.
    He was the same player, with the same skills, but at Barca he was a shadow of what he became at Napoli.

Beckenbaur at Bayern.

Dalgleish in the 70-80's for us.

Keane at UTD.

When a player reaches that status, it becomes more than just his skill and ability.
    You can get somebody to replace him, who's as good, or better technically.
    But they won't have the same influence.
    They won't inspire the players.
    They won't lift the fans.
    They won't be as good.

Gerrard would play at any other club for himself.
    But here, he plays for Liverpool.

No player is bigger than the club, that's true.
    But some are bigger than others.

Steven Gerrard is Liverpool Football Club right now.
    He's irreplaceable.

Of course I can see why others may be of the opinion that he is irreplaceable at the club. Just because I think he is replaceable does not mean I cannot accept others thinking the opposite to me.

As for the long winded hype you posted about him. He has never been this real real captain you claim he is. He goes missing, not as much now as nefore, but he still does. I used to sit at Anfield and watch Souness captain the team. He would have bad games at times, but he never went missing. Souness was a captain and a leader of men, Gerrard is not a leader of men, he may inspire men with his feats, but he is not a natural leader and there is a huge difference between a leader and someone who can inspire.

Gerrard on par with a peak Maradona? Not even on his best day, Diego was on a different level and there have only been a handful of players in the histopry of the game at that level.

I do not deny that he is the best all rounder at the club by some distance, but sometimes the best player is not the best for balance in a team. He has improved a lot in terms of how he fits in with the balance of the team a lot over the last two seasons and I would have been a lot happier last season if he and Torres had more time together on the pitch for the league games.

In short, best player at the club, I would have to say yes. Most important player in terms of the whole team performing and maintaining shape and tempo? That would be a no for me.

For me the most important player at the club, based on the season just gone, is Alonso. He keeps our shape and sets the tempo, and every player on the park knows he will be available for a ball at any time and that nobody in the squad can pass the ball long or short with such a consistent rythem over a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Ive noticed that some folk in this thread have somewhat backed down from their opinion that villa 'wouldnt fit into the teams formation' since torres comments..(i havent posted in a while, they are a good few pages back).. Ive taken a few minutes to read through some stuff in the thread this time last year and theres some real classics in there, i wont mention names lol.

But you are not alone folks, in fact, there is some esteemed company with similar notions. I was also reading guillem balagues blog from last summer, let me quote....

"i have spoken with rafa benitez".............."riera is not a target for liverpool".

There is also some feeling that glen johnson is way over-priced, i would agree, but then i recall with frustration the disaster at boro this season involving an embarassing skyrtel performace there at right back, ending in mascherano ending the match in this position. Incidentally, i find it humourous that some of the 'in rafa we trust' fanboys are questioning his deal making decisions.

Maybe rafa has finally had enough of acquiring left siders and has focused in on the right side, coincidentally, where are the folk who said a few weeks ago that the right side does not need improving as much as other areas..???.....clearly rafa does not agree with you folks, but hey, what would he know??;)

Dossena, leto, gonzalez, zenden etc etc......meanwhile, rafa must have become increasingly frustrated with his lack of being able to acquire right siders.....even Mr, jack daniels himself turned out to be a 'glass half empty situation for the club.

Imo, johnson will improve our team in many ways, arbeloa has got competition, johnsons dynamism on the right with an attacking mind is just what we need to force the issue on this side. Ok, hes not a defensive genius, but our falterings with home draws etc were not based on the defensive capabilities of our right back, they were based on dogged defense by the opposition and johnson will help us with a more 'steamrolling' effect here.

PS....rafa appears to have a few quid, at least a bit more than is being suggested by the 'back benchers' in the press, i am hopefull and optimistic about our summer signings. There are bargains to be had at some clubs, namely, real madrid. Personally, i wouldnt mind seeing schneider in a red shirt, he has the quality should stevie be out of the team. I would vomit at the thought of robben in the shirt but then i fear i would be judging with my heart over my head, he is an undoubted talent, but i would have to see him and pepe in a manly embrace before i could warm to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Who can replace him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    There was a period of time, particularly the 06/07 season where i thought he did this. He kept playing over elaborate passes and in particular running into other players positions rather then trust them to do their jobs. The amount of times i saw him running out practically beside Zenden and taking the ball himself there rather then trust his teammates and get himself into his own position, was driving me nuts. In Short, he tried to do far too much, to play every position and to be making and receiving every pass.

i couldnt agree more...

• Advertisement

Pele wrote:
    "The fans, they look only for forwards, always a forward," he said. "Somebody who scores.

"Sometimes you have a player like Gerrard. For me, for the last five years Gerrard has been the best player in the world.
    Zidane wrote:
    “If you don’t have a player like Steven Gerrard, who is the engine room, it can affect the whole team.

“When we were winning league titles and European Cups at Real, I always said Claude Makelele was our most important player.

“There is no way myself, Figo or Raul would have been able to do what we did without Claude and the same goes for Liverpool and Gerrard.

“When Claude left us for Chelsea I campaigned for us to buy Patrick Vieira and Gerrard is now in the same mould as him.

“For many years, Patrick was the most complete midfielder in the world and now that award must go to Gerrard.

“No team will be successful without a heartbeat and you can see Gerrard is that heartbeat.

“He has great passing ability, can tackle and scores goals, but most importantly he gives the players around him confidence and belief.

“You can’t learn that — players like him are just born with that presence.”
    Reina wrote:
    "I am happy with it. It's fully deserved - and not just in terms of England, but for the whole world."

"This season he has been superb - our best player, the best player in England and the best player in the world.

"Liverpool are a different team without him. We have to play and compete as a whole squad but he is key for us."
    Rafa wrote:
    "Steven has quality, he's a fantastic player and 99 goals is amazing for a midfielder.

"But he can score more. Once he has scored his 100th, then we will give him the objective of maybe 150.

"He scores great goals that few other players can manage. We are lucky to have the best midfielder in the world.
    Capello wrote:
    "Zidane said Gerrard was one of the best in the world and I agree with him," said Capello. "It is a fantastic time for him. He is at the very top of his game."
    Torres wrote:
    When people talk about the best footballers in Europe, they always single out Messi, and Ronaldo, but Gerrard is just as strong,"
    "Messi and Ronaldo are special talents and the fact that they are in teams winning the important trophies means they stand out from the rest. Maybe you need to win something to earn the big awards, I don't know, but we all understand how good Gerrard is.

"I'm spoilt having a team-mate like Gerrard as I can count on him supplying me with perfect passes. You make the run into the space and however tightly marked he is, he finds a way to get the ball through in perfect condition.

"The highest compliment I can pay him is that he's as creative as a Xavi at Barcelona, with something extra as well. When you add his energy, toughness, leadership and goal scoring ability and the result is a fantastic all-round player.

"Maybe I am biased because he is my team-mate and friend, but Stevie does not get the credit he deserves either in England or with European fans. This can change in 2010 when he has a chance to confirm his class with Liverpool and in the World Cup."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

daithijjj wrote: »
    Ive noticed that some folk in this thread have somewhat backed down from their opinion that villa 'wouldnt fit into the teams formation'

I would happily head into next season with the players we have if that addition was made.

Opr

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Who can replace him?

Gerrard? As I said earlier today in this thread, I do not think it would be a matter of replacing him with one player, but rather bringing in two, maybe three, top class players that make the team stronger overall as a unit than it is now.

Of course this is all just a case of shooting the breeze as we are just talking make believe here as I do not see Gerrard being replaced until he decides he wants to leave or quit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Gah. We won't be signing Villa, Silva and Johnson. Get a grip lads; it's tabloid season - go outside and ignore it.

PiE wrote: »
    Gah. We won't be signing Villa, Silva and Johnson. Get a grip lads; it's tabloid season - go outside and ignore it.

Nah it's dark outside now. :D

Kess73 wrote: »
    Of course I can see why others may be of the opinion that he is irreplaceable at the club. Just because I think he is replaceable does not mean I cannot accept others thinking the opposite to me.

You still don't seem to get my point, but as you said, we're all entitled to our oppinios.
    Of course as shown above, greater footballing minds than we'll ever be disagree woth you.

Kess73 wrote:
    As for the long winded hype you posted about him. He has never been this real real captain you claim he is. He goes missing, not as much now as nefore, but he still does. I used to sit at Anfield and watch Souness captain the team. He would have bad games at times, but he never went missing. Souness was a captain and a leader of men, Gerrard is not a leader of men, he may inspire men with his feats, but he is not a natural leader and there is a huge difference between a leader and someone who can inspire.

Not a natural leader?!

Istanbull.
    Who rallied the team and crowd?
    Ask Lucas when Lucas talks about Gerrard supporting him in training.
    Ask Torres who admits that Gerrard along with Rafa have made him into the player he is today.
    Ask Dalgleish, when he talks about Gerrard one day being th greatest player to ever pull on the red jersey.

Souness was an immense, player.
    But he never had the same iconic status that Gerrard has.
    Souness was in a team of legends.
    Gerrard spent his formative years in Liverpool as a lone star, or with Owen/Fowler/Carra occasionally there.
    Gerrard alone was the star of our team.

Souness had Dalgleish/Rush/Kennedy/Hansen/Lauwro/Case/Whealan/Neal etc.

Kess73 wrote:
    Gerrard on par with a peak Maradona? Not even on his best day, Diego was on a different level and there have only been a handful of players in the histopry of the game at that level.

Where did I say that Gerrard was on a par with Maradona as a player?:confused:

I clearly said that Gerards effect on Liverpool, is similar to that of Maradona at Napoli.
    Beckenbaur at Bayern
    Keane at Utd.
    Dalgleish at Anfield.

His influence, not his skill.

Kess73 wrote:
    I do not deny that he is the best all rounder at the club by some distance, but sometimes the best player is not the best for balance in a team. He has improved a lot in terms of how he fits in with the balance of the team a lot over the last two seasons and I would have been a lot happier last season if he and Torres had more time together on the pitch for the league games.

I believe Rebel said it as good as I ever could, so I'll leave that there.

Kess73 wrote:
    In short, best player at the club, I would have to say yes. Most important player in terms of the whole team performing and maintaining shape and tempo? That would be a no for me.

For me the most important player at the club, based on the season just gone, is Alonso. He keeps our shape and sets the tempo, and every player on the park knows he will be available for a ball at any time and that nobody in the squad can pass the ball long or short with such a consistent rythem over a season.

The same Alonso that had two bad seasons [by his high standards] before this wonder one.

Was Alonso the best player last season?
    Cause Gerrard was.

What about the season before?
    Nope Gerrard again.

etc...

• Advertisement

You still don't seem to get my point, but as you said, we're all entitled to our oppinios.
    Of course as shown above, greater footballing minds than we'll ever be disagree woth you.

Plenty will disagree with me and some may agree with me, just means there are differences of opinion . What I think nobody disagrees on is his all round
    ability.

Not a natural leader?!

Istanbull.
    Who rallied the team and crowd?
    Ask Lucas when Lucas talks about Gerrard supporting him in training.
    Ask Torres who admits that Gerrard along with Rafa have made him into the player he is today.
    Ask Dalgleish, when he talks about Gerrard one day being th greatest player to ever pull on the red jersey.

Souness was an immense, player.
    But he never had the same iconic status that Gerrard has.
    Souness was in a team of legends.
    Gerrard spent his formative years in Liverpool as a lone star, or with Owen/Fowler/Carra occasionally there.
    Gerrard alone was the star of our team.

Souness had Dalgleish/Rush/Kennedy/Hansen/Lauwro/Case/Whealan/Neal etc.

Souness was a leader in a team full of stars and strong characters, Gerrard grew as a player as a big fish in a small pond by being the main top class player for most of his career to date. I would argue that it was harder for Souness to stand out as a leader in amongst so many mentally strong characters. Gerrard did not have that challenge to overcome.

Iconic status does not make a leader, being iconic would make it easier to inspire but would not make him a natural leader.

As for Istanbul, one could argue that the introduction of Didi and his job on Kaka gave the other players the belief and space to have that magic six minutes that made history.

Where did I say that Gerrard was on a par with Maradona as a player?:confused:

I clearly said that Gerards effect on Liverpool, is similar to that of Maradona at Napoli.
    Beckenbaur at Bayern
    Keane at Utd.
    Dalgleish at Anfield.

His influence, not his skill.

I believe Rebel said it as good as I ever could, so I'll leave that there.

The same Alonso that had two bad seasons [by his high standards] before this wonder one.

Was Alonso the best player last season?
    Cause Gerrard was.

What about the season before?
    Nope Gerrard again.

etc...

I said most important player not best player. Gerrard is a better all round player than Xabi, but I think Xabi is more important to how the team clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

YoungJedi says Stevie G said that we're signing a 'sh*t-hot striker from Spain'.

Make of that what you will, I believe it.

As a matter of interest, what ever happened to that guy who used to post transfer stuff ? He claimed to have the inside track on deals due to the nature of his work. I forget exactly what he said his job was. Does he still post here at all ? Thats if anyone remembers who i am talking about :)

Opr

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

YoungJedi says Stevie G said that we're signing a 'sh*t-hot striker from Spain'.

wut?

and opr I know who you're thinking of but his name is lost to me at the moment, someone will know Irish-something I think but anyway he had a great source and was absolutely dead on, but I think some people were acting the prat so he decided to not bother any more, he was probably right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

opr wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, what ever happened to that guy who used to post transfer stuff ? He claimed to have the inside track on deals due to the nature of his work. I forget exactly what he said his job was. Does he still post here at all ? Thats if anyone remembers who i am talking about :)

Opr

Bannor! Shame he left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Wat?

i don't think we'll sign Villa, unfortunately.

despite the fact there is a lot of noises coming from usually spot on itk people online to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Wat?

From my memory I think YoungJedi is a poster on the lfc.tv forum. Don't know if he's in any way in the know but I remember him as a regular poster.

A '****hot striker'. So who's the best-looking striker in Spain then?

just read that the odds on Villa moving to us this window are gone from 45-1 to 6-1 in the last 24 hours.....

just read that the odds on Villa moving to us this window are gone from 45-1 to 6-1 in the last 24 hours.....

suspended betting in plenty of places afaik.

**** i hate being let down at transfer windows :( won't happen. i'm not letting myself get excited.

trying my best anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

i don't think we'll sign Villa, unfortunately.

despite the fact there is a lot of noises coming from usually spot on itk people online to the contrary.

It's unlikely but maybe Torres will have a word in his ear?

LOL Torres and Villa having words in the ear. Enough to turn a man ghey!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

**** i hate being let down at transfer windows :( won't happen. i'm not letting myself get excited.

trying my best anyway

This one is too good, I don't really believe it at all but I'm still excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the notion of Villa at Pool is just ridiculous to me.

how...i mean...HOW?

it doesn't mean i wouldn't love it, but still, HOW?

lol at anyone suggesting torres should be dropped in favour of villa by the way. if there was ever such a tussle, Nando is the proven one in this league and in this team, Villa would have to earn that spot.

not gonna happen though, because he ain't coming.

i refuse to believe it for the sake of my own sanity.

well some people reckon we have a bit more money than we let on.
    but for the lolz

Arbeloa out - 8m
    Doss out - 7m
    Voro out - 4m
    itange/hobbs/riff raff - 3m
    Babel out - 8m (I hope not, but there is no way he would be staying if silva was to come)

30m above

15m from keane (Debateable whether this is useable or not)
    7m from Crouch

22 above

Speculated warchest also of 20m

from those 3 we get a 72million kitty

minus 17 million for the Johnson leaving us 55 - so it's possible - I#m not saying probable etc but there's definately a way to finance this

Riera's value in spain would be very high at the moment more than 10 millions anyway so 50m and Riera would be enough for bought I reckon but we'll see how this plays out.

• Advertisement

In fairness it looks like a done deal. To top it off this "YoungJedi" chap sounds like a cast iron source that confirms it.

Opr

In fairness it looks like a done deal. To top it off this "YoungJedi" chap sounds like a cast iron source that confirms it.

Opr

I don't know you enough to know if your taking the piss or not.
    And these dam letters on my monitor are terrible at showing levels of sencerity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

Wrecked tired but cant sleep now with all this exciting transfer talk.

Ah sure I'll try counting sheep Villa goals :D

mayordenis wrote: »
    I don't know you enough to know if your taking the piss or not.
    And these dam letters on my monitor are terrible at showing levels of sencerity.

SarcasmMeter2.gif

But i do admit to being a tad (Edit - ok very fcuking) excited at the prospect however remote it sadly might be :(

Opr

Opr

Any linky to this youngjedi's posts?

or do I need to learn to Feel The Force first :P

Hephaestus wrote: »
    Any linky to this youngjedi's posts?

or do I need to learn to Feel The Force first :P

Links, sources interviews pfffftt i have better : "bUILDERtHEbOB" says that "YoungJedi" says that "Steven Serrard" says "we're signing a 'sh*t-hot striker from Spain'."

Opr

Links, sources interviews pfffftt i have better : "bUILDERtHEbOB" says that "YoungJedi" says that "Steven Serrard" says "we're signing a 'sh*t-hot striker from Spain'."

Opr

OK, Rite, I'll take that as a no then :rolleyes:

with dat I'll bid ye good nite - hopefully we'll get some good news tomor ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bannor! Shame he left.

them's were the days :(

Reports emanating from Spain suggest David Villa has opted to sign for Real Madrid over joining either Manchester United or Chelsea.

Sky Sports

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

They are, however, reports from Marca. So it is basically a Madrid fan/employee saying this.

Liverpool haven't been linked to Villa at all in the recent transfer shennanigans, so even it is true that he is in the bag for Liverpool as the internet is suggesting, it would not be surprising that the press isn't picking up on it, as they didn't pick up on Liverpool bidding for him or negotiating with him in the first place.

That said, I hope he does go to Madrid at this stage. Villa at liverpool....i'd have to kill myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement