Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

I just don't see Villa coming to Liverpool, and if he did I would be pretty worried that it wouldn't work out for him or the club. Great player, but just not right for us at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

Nacional Montevideo midfielder Nicolas Lodeiro is attracting interest from Liverpool.

tribalfootball
    skysports

Anyone know anything about him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hephaestus wrote: »
    tribalfootball
    skysports

Anyone know anything about him?

Not a sausage. Heres a goal of his though.

Only one Uruguayian player i want though.....Suarezzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Javier Mascherano's agent holds Barcelona talks to test Rafael Benítez
    Rafael Benítez's insistence that Liverpool will not countenance the sale of Javier Mascherano is likely to be tested after the Argentina captain's agent held talks with Barcelona officials over a possible move to Camp Nou.

Mascherano's agent, Walter Tamer, met Barcelona representatives in the city's Rey Juan Carlos I hotel for two hours last night as the European champions intensify efforts to sign the 25-year-old. It is believed Tamer, who last week claimed Mascherano would relish a move to Barcelona and that "a transfer would be feasible", was seeking assurances about the personal terms on offer should his client attempt to force through a deeply unpopular exit from Anfield.

Liverpool have not yet received an inquiry from Barcelona for Mascherano, who has been earmarked to replace Yaya Touré as their holding midfielder by the coach, Pep Guardiola. Benítez has made his opposition to any move clear, however, and while the Liverpool manager must sell to inflate his transfer budget above a net £20m, he is under no pressure to offload such a key member of his team, particularly at a time when doubts surround the Anfield future of Mascherano's midfield colleague Xabi Alonso.

Responding to Tamer's opening gambit last week, Benítez insisted: "Mascherano has no price. Barcelona could not afford to match his value. They can offer £40m or even £50m. We don't want to sell." That stance will be tested should Mascherano agitate for a move from the club that revitalised his career following a dreadful spell at West Ham United or Barcelona follow up their interest with a staggering offer. Liverpool paid £18m to sign the Argentinian in February 2008 and there are suspicions within the club that, having seen Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres and Dirk Kuyt offered and accept lucrative new contracts in recent months, Mascherano wants a similar pay rise.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/18/javier-mascherano-liverpool-barcelona

Masch really needs to get a new agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

mmmmm...Villa to Liverpool...can't really see it. TBH I would prefer if we signed Silva (even though I'm a bit suspect as to how he would cope in the premier league) as he would fit our current system much better. I would NOT, I repeat NOT, split up the Torres and Gerrard partnership. IMO buy Silva and a support striker for Torres.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Meh I'm as sceptical about Masch leaving as I am Villa arriving to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Dosenna denies wanting to leave when everything else suggests he's been pimping himself to Juve - maybe they've turned him down
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_5386658,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

How long does Mascherano have on his contract? Is he paid less than others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

PHB wrote: »
    How long does Mascherano have on his contract? Is he paid less than others?

Off hand - not sure but there are reports that his missus (pregnant atm) is unhappy in uk and has headed back home and that he reckons they'd be more settled in a Spanish speaking country. If there is any truth to the Masch -> Barca rumors I'd say it's based on this rather than how much money he's earning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

zing wrote: »
    Off hand - not sure but there are reports that his missus (pregnant atm) is unhappy in uk and has headed back home and that he reckons they'd be more settled in a Spanish speaking country. If there is any truth to the Masch -> Barca rumors I'd say it's based on this rather than how much money he's earning.

Bet his wife cares how much he is earning. :pac:

Move to Barca
    Keep Wife Happy
    Win Shedloads
    Make Shedloads.

He has 2 and a half years left on his contract, Barca is very appealing and he wants to go, either that or he is angling for a new contract at Liverpool.

There has been no report on how his agent got on in talks with them the other night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

give Masch a new contract sharpish. Pay him as much as he wants. He's third only to Gerrard and Torres on the list of indispensibles.

Boggles wrote: »
    Bet his wife cares how much he is earning. :pac:

Move to Barca
    Keep Wife Happy
    Win Shedloads
    Make Shedloads.

He has 2 and a half years left on his contract, Barca is very appealing and he wants to go, either that or he is angling for a new contract at Liverpool.

There has been no report on how his agent got on in talks with them the other night.

Fair play Boggles, you are keeping us up to date on Mash's every move. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'd imagine that Villa agreed to move to Real, and that's why the bookies have suspended betting.

The rumours online caused Liverpools odds to be slashed.

I just really can't see it.

Hope I'm wrong, mainly because if we have this kind of money, we have a new investor, and in that case, the stadium could be started soon.

I'd imagine that Villa agreed to move to Real, and that's why the bookies have suspended betting.

The rumours online caused Liverpools odds to be slashed.

I just really can't see it.

Hope I'm wrong, mainly because if we have this kind of money, we have a new investor, and in that case, the stadium could be started soon.

Can't see Villa joining unless we have agreed to sell Mash.

Villa seems to want to stay in spain anyway according to reports.

Whoever gets him are getting a goal machine. Quality player. Still prefer Torres though who isn't even near his prime yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Villa, and Silva cofirmed.

shirts.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

shirts.jpg

FAKE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Can almost hear the mad rush to check the LFC store for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Be soem fun if this was a reality!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

shirts.jpg

That is either fake, or the liverpool site has already been changed.

Johnsons name has dissapeared as well!

• Advertisement

Does anyone realise how easy it is to fake those? I could literally put the entire United team up there in like 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Does anyone realise how easy it is to fake those? I could literally put the entire United team up there in like 20 minutes.

On my count............

GO!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

please dont:eek:...maybe vidic!

That is either fake, or the liverpool site has already been changed.
    You checked? :p

Have a look along at the other names, Messi anyone? Yes it is indeed, fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

You checked? :p

Have a look along at the other names, Messi anyone? Yes it is indeed, fake.

Of course I checked. Was buying myself a new Lucas top at the time.:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Villa spotted outside Melwood!

villah.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Bassong opens exit talks

Two English clubs in for Magpies defender

It now appears to be only a matter of time before the 22-year-old, who only joined Newcastle from Metz last July, will be on his way out of Tyneside.

Bassong has refused to reveal the identity of those clubs that have made an initial approach for his services, but he has admitted that discussions have been opened.

"I have started to negotiate with two English clubs," he told Aujourd'hui Sport.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5386801,00.html

Liverpool aren't actually linked with him in the article but i think he'd be a good cheap addition to the club and all it says is 2 english clubs

I think Aston Villa are one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

je$us, Bassong is a terrible player. I saw him roam around Anfield earlier this year like a lost child. it'd be a terrible addition to our squad. he's a lower half of the table player at best

• Advertisement

mru wrote: »
    je$us, Bassong is a terrible player. I saw him roam around Anfield earlier this year like a lost child. it'd be a terrible addition to our squad. he's a lower half of the table player at best

throw carra into that team and he'd look terrible too... Bassong is young and was newcastles best defender.. i honestly believe if it wasn't for him they would have been relegated before going into the final week

i suppose, but his tempremant is bad. newcastle were getting whipped, and he dissappeared. you'd expect a bit of character at least for players who are to sign for liverpool. i'd say give him a miss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

i suppose, but his tempremant is bad. newcastle were getting whipped, and he dissappeared. you'd expect a bit of character at least for players who are to sign for liverpool. i'd say give him a miss

It's a bit much to ask a young player, new to the country and new to the league to be the one who stands up and shows character when all the vastly experienced players around him didn't want to know. A young player shouldn't be put in that position, and he definitely wouldn't at Liverpool.

I think he's a good player, but probably too expensive for 4th choice CB

The latest piece of "insider" gossip off of Setanta

Liverpool News –––––––––––––––– The Glen Johnson deal is not complete, but Johnson has told Rafa he wants to play for Liverpool and the deal will go through in the next couple of weeks, this is because Liverpool like to announce multiple signings at once and to get all the press conferences done at one time. The other deal will be released soon, it has been kept quiet as the player is very much in demand. The player is non other than David Villa, as you are aware bids have been made for other clubs but have broken down at some point. This is because Rafa has a verbal agreement with Villa himself that Liverpool are interested and are trying to negotiate a deal with Valencia. Valencia are playing hardball due to their financial state, this has prompted Villa himself to say the only team in the Premiership he wants to play for is Liverpool, in an attempt to reduce the competition and ultimately a price war. Liverpool are NOT SKINT but Rafa needs to keep cost as low as possible

Liverpool are holding off on unveiling Johnson so we can unveil Villa and Johnson, (and Silva probably!) together.

Nothing to do with the fact that Johnson is out of the country on holiday!

It's a bit much to ask a young player, new to the country and new to the league to be the one who stands up and shows character when all the vastly experienced players around him didn't want to know. A young player shouldn't be put in that position, and he definitely wouldn't at Liverpool.

I think he's a good player, but probably too expensive for 4th choice CB

He's 22!!! People develop character a lot earlier than that.

Setanta should start a premium rate service for such gems. God knows they need the cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Newcastle were probably psychologically relegated (if you know what I mean) before we thumped them around Christmas. The poor temperament you describe has been in evidence at all levels of the club for a long time and young players learn from those around them, especially those with experience.

From the little I have seen of Bassong, he looks ok; but it's hard to judge his level given who he's playing with and he probably shouldn't be tarred with the same brush as some of the others.

Incidentally, I don't think I've ever met a 22-year-old with a fully-rounded personality/character/temperament.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The latest piece of "insider" gossip off of Setanta

URL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

I remember posting on here waaaaay back during last season that I heard there was an agreement between Villa and Liverpool that he would sign this summer.

I know the chances of it happening arent great but still its always nice to get a bit excited (alot) at the thought we would sign him.

I cant see it happening but if we did.....I would be the happiest child alive.

But Torres will always be our boy so hes number one. Villa likes to float deeper though around so I could see him fitting into our current formation....sort of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

its from football-rumours.co.uk

here's the rest
    The fee is likely to be around £35m with players offered as bait, Arbeloa and Babel.

If this deal goes through Liverpool will then be forced to sell to obtain their final target. David Silva. However, Alonso and Masch will stay. Players out will be Dossena (£6m), Arbeloa (£8m), Babel (£10m), Voronin (£3.5m), Leto (£2m), Degen (£1m), El Zahr (£1.5m).

Total INS: £63m. (Johnson £10m [£7m off set by Crouch], Villa £35m, Silva £18m).

Total OUTS: £31m

£32m spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Honestly can't believe we're even discussing the possibilty of Villa AND Silva (as well as splashing out on Johnson). Jesus if we got one i'd be over the moon! I will seriously eat my words if we sign one of these players, because I said a couple of months ago that I couldn't see us making any big-name, 25m+ signings.

If we get the 2 then I'll eat my hat.

It's nice to even be talking about this as anything of a realistic possibility. I'm still not going to get my hopes up, but it's hard not to be a little bit excited...

• Advertisement

so we'll have no right back cover at all so... i'd be a lot happier if we held on to arbeloa

spockety wrote: »
    URL?

Sorry, at work at the moment.
    Can't access Setantas site.

It was only one of those rumour things though.

It's on their ****e blog, and also on football-rumours.co.uk apparently.

If you throw enough **** on the wall, some of it is bound to stick.

If you throw enough **** on the wall, some of it is bound to stick.

King Kenny has been given a squad number for the forthcoming season !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

tok9 wrote: »
    so we'll have no right back cover at all so... i'd be a lot happier if we held on to arbeloa

What about Stephen Darby? This lad has real talent and is highly thought of by Rafa and his staff. He would have made his debut against Sunderland in January last season but picked up an injury.

Also I don't really see why we would sign Bassong because in Martin Kelly we have an outstanding young player who earned rave reviews from Anfield legend Terry McDermott when he was on loan at Huddersfield for the last 3 months of the season.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    King Kenny has been given a squad number for the forthcoming season !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

its from football-rumours.co.uk

here's the rest

Would be very sweet.

Benitez did say that Liverpool would break their transfer record this summer didnt he?

It should mean more importance falling to Spearing, Darby, Plessis, Kelly, Pacheo and Nemeth

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It is not called silly season for nothing is it?

Like many others I would love if it were true, but without having to sell Mascherano or Alonso there is no way I can see that we could do it tbh, and I really don't think losing Mascherano is worth it as he is that important to how we play the system we have developed into.

obviously !

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement