Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Daemonic wrote: »
    The misspelled brother of Iker?
    oohhhhhhhh double correction fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,130 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Quick, somebody call the president, we're all regressing to childhood states!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

oohhhhhhhh double correction fail.

Christ....another epic fail, two in the space of a few minutes. Why don't you just fess up, and stop trying to save what little face you have left :rolleyes:.

What don't you understand at this stage about the transfer, or are you still sticking to your "making up" type scenario?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Hobart wrote: »
    Christ....another epic fail, two in the space of a few minutes. Why don't you just fess up, and stop trying to save what little face you have left :rolleyes:.

What don't you understand at this stage about the transfer, or are you still sticking to your "making up" type scenario?

I would hardly describe any other them as Epic fails... A couple of miss spellings.

Also, its not so much understanding at this point (though i originally had no clue where the 1.6 figure was coming from) but I would still completely disagree with it the reasoning behind it. The 7 million for Crouch would have been budgeted. If you spend it (by giving it back to pompey) it is still 7 million you will no longer get, so the cost is still there. It doesn't magically make the Johnson fee 7million cheaper, which is what the 1.6million figure implies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

doesnt matter what way you look at it he is still costing us 18 or so million.terrible terrible piece of buisness especially when arbeloa is a better defender
    Be interesting to see just how much better Arbeloa is when he's being forced to stay at Liverpool despite saying he'd like a move back to Spain for personal reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

PiE wrote: »
    Be interesting to see just how much better Arbeloa is when he's being forced to stay at Liverpool despite saying he'd like a move back to Spain for personal reasons.
    Fair point, with all the key players getting new contracts, the fact he's into the last year of his with no mention of a new one suggests Rafa has accepted he wants to move back to Spain and is looking for a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Jesus it's like an argument with a 5 year old...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I would hardly describe any other them as Epic fails... A couple of miss spellings.

Also, its not so much understanding at this point (though i originally had no clue where the 1.6 figure was coming from) but I would still completely disagree with it the reasoning behind it. The 7 million for Crouch would have been budgeted. If you spend it (by giving it back to pompey) it is still 7 million you will no longer get, so the cost is still there. It doesn't magically make the Johnson fee 7million cheaper, which is what the 1.6million figure implies.

The whole point is we're paying a relatively small fee in the short term which will hopefully leave us with more in the kitty for another signing or two.

Where is anybody saying that the fee is 7M cheaper? Do you have inside knowledge of Liverpool's accounts and/or budgets for this year? How do you know what way, the 7M owed to them by Pompey, was going to be spent? Why do you think that it was going into the transfer kitty? Could it not have been used to pay off some of the debt? This way, we wipe the slate clean with Pompey, and pay 1.6 per year for a player that's still costing us 18.5 and not 11.5 (that's the upper estimate tbh).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So the fee is 12 million up front.

Is the 1.6 million payments dependant on performance, appearances, success or does that have to be paid regardless?

Seems like a good deal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Boggles wrote: »
    So the fee is 12 million up front.

Is the 1.6 million payments dependant on performance, appearances, success or does that have to be paid regardless?

Seems like a good deal.

Probably a mix of both mate.

Could be 14 Mill with 3 Mill worth of add-ons but nobody will know until/if he is confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Probably a mix of both mate.

Could be 14 Mill with 3 Mill worth of add-ons but nobody will know until/if he is confirmed.

We still won't know.

Liverpool never release the full details.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

But that 7million for Crouch would have been budgeted for - it would have been part of the summer pot. Just because you are giving it back to pompey doesn't make it any different.

What on earth are you on about?

I said that Liverpool would hand Pompey 5m up front, plus a max of 1.6m a year for the next four years. You come back saying that my calculations were wrong ("made up"!) and that Liverpool would be transferring over 3m a year to Pompey.

You are wrong. The 7m Crouch transaction is irrelevant. It is relevant to the total transfer price , yes, and nobody is denying this. But it has no bearing whatsoever on the structure of payments from Liverpool to Portsmouth over the next four years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

spockety wrote: »
    What on earth are you on about?

I said that Liverpool would hand Pompey 5m up front, plus a max of 1.6m a year for the next four years. You come back saying that my calculations were wrong ("made up"!) and that Liverpool would be transferring over 3m a year to Pompey.

You are wrong. The 7m Crouch transaction is irrelevant. It is relevant to the total transfer price , yes, and nobody is denying this. But it has no bearing whatsoever on the structure of payments from Liverpool to Portsmouth over the next four years.

In fairness to Mitch you have to add the £7 Million over 2/3 years to the figure. The above is all correct and reflects the cash outflow but ignores the income we are now not getting.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

You'd swear the money was coming out of your own pockets.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    In fairness to Mitch you have to add the £7 Million over 2/3 years to the figure. The above is all correct and reflects the cash outflow but ignores the income we are now not getting.

You don't actually, as nobody knows enough about this transfer to say when what will be paid and how much.

Secondly, it assumes that the 7M owed to Liverpool, was to go back into the transfer kitty, which is a huge unknown. The deal is 'mooted' to be 5M up front with further payments on a staged basis.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

K-9 wrote: »

In fairness to myself, Mitch's first say on the matter was to suggest that I was making up figures, and even went so far as to give me the 'correct' figures like I was either being an idiot, or pulling the wool over people's eyes.

So no, I don't have to give any fairness back imo.

Some actual news.
    Liverpool Reserves have new home
    Liverpool reserves will have a new home for the 2009/10 season as they will play their matches at Prenton Park, the home of Tranmere Rovers.

Last season, the reserves played their home games at Warrington's Halliwell Jones Stadium.

"I'm delighted we've been able to come to this arrangement," said Reds reserve team manager John McMahon.

"It is a great club with great facilities and I hope we will see some good results for Liverpool reserves."

Liverpool's reserve side play in the Barclays Premier Reserve League North and currently play 10 home matches a season, all of them in midweek with evening kick-offs.

Tranmere chief executive Mick Horton said: "We are delighted to be able to host Liverpool's home reserve fixtures next season and look forward to welcoming them to Prenton Park.

"It will be a good opportunity for any Wirral-based Liverpool supporters to come to Prenton Park and watch some of their talented youngsters in action."
    Juventus set to decide on Liverpool's Andrea Dossena next week
    Andrea Dossena's agent believes Juventus will decide by next week whether to make a bid for the Liverpool full-back. The Turin club have been linked with a move for the 27-year-old, who had a disappointing first season at Anfield after his £7m transfer from Udinese.

It is believed Juve are considering Dossena and his international team-mate Fabio Grosso, 31, to fill the left-back spot. "I don't know if you can call it an ultimatum, but I think that Juve will decide what to do within the next week," his agent, Roberto La Florio, said. "The left-back position is a necessity for the Bianconeri and the directors are not willing to drag this on. However, I still think it's a two-horse race between Andrea and Grosso.

"Dossena's age and wages are on his side. Is he worth around €6-7m? The last time I met with Liverpool we did not talk about numbers, I can only say they paid more for him last summer. Andrea has subtly expressed his desire to join Juve in recent days, but he also said that he loves it in Liverpool. We'll definitely know more about it next week and Juve remain the most likely destination for him.

And on another note, Jimmy's off to live the good life.
    Portsmouth full-back Djimi Traore has signed a two-year deal with AS Monaco, who play in the French top flight.

The former Liverpool player spent the tail end of last season on loan at Birmingham, making three appearances.

Traore joined Liverpool from French side Laval at the age of 18 and went on to be part of their 2005 Champions League-winning side.

The 29-year-old Mali international made 136 Liverpool appearances in a seven-year spell at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

You'd swear the money was coming out of your own pockets.

It is! We're the ones who've to pay the debts these fools are massing up

zing wrote: »
    It is! We're the ones who've to pay the debts these fools are massing up
    In that case, I want a cut of our 2nd place prize money!
    Carra hopes Reds remain intact

Jamie Carragher is hoping Liverpool's financial troubles will not see a summer exodus at Anfield.

Recent reports of monetary problems at the Merseyside club have fuelled speculation that a number of top stars could be sold over the coming weeks.

The Reds have been quick to ease supporter angst by insisting that will not be case, promising that new arrivals remain the priority - not sales.

Carragher admits it is vitally important that stance is backed up, with Liverpool keen to build on last season's second place finish in the Premier League.

"I'm like any fan, I get excited about who we might bring in. The players are exactly the same as the man on the street, you pick up the paper hoping you are going to see you've signed someone," he told Sky Sports News.

"But this summer there has been a bit of speculation about players moving on, so at the moment I'm hoping that doesn't happen rather than people come in. We have got a great side at the moment, and I'm sure the manager will make a couple of additions, but we don't want to lose anyone."
    Plaudits

One of those linked with a summer exit is Spanish schemer Xabi Alonso, but Carragher hopes those reports prove wide of the mark.

"He and Stevie Gerrard were probably our best two players last season. I think Stevie won Footballer of the Year, but if you asked the fans I think they would maybe say that Alonso was our best player last season so he is certainly someone we don't want to lose," he said.

Carragher also believes that Cristiano Ronaldo's record-breaking move to Real Madrid will help the chasing pack to close on champions Manchester United next term, but admits the Red Devils will still be a force to be reckoned with in 2009/10.

He added: "He's a great player and I think he will be a big miss for the Premiership. He makes a big difference to Manchester United, even though they have a lot of other great players, and I think he was the one for them.

"But I'm sure Sir Alex Ferguson knows what he is doing and to have £80million to go and spend, that's a lot of money. It will be difficult to replace Cristiano Ronaldo, but maybe they will do it a different way and get two or three players.

"It's difficult to replace that, but I'm sure they will sort it out. Hopefully they won't bring in someone as good as Ronaldo!"

Bolded bit is a bit lol.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Bolded bit is a bit lol.

Wut? I think most would agree with the part in bold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can someone lock this thread until there is some actual news to report? :(

In that case, I want a cut of our 2nd place prize money!
    You're not a shareholder though. Unfortunately for your average supporter money goes one way and one way only. Not that the club would be able to pay dividends even if we were all shareholders.

Speaking of which - seems to be a new initiative for supporters/3rd parties to try and purchase the club:
    http://www.supporters-direct.org/news/item.asp?n=4732&cat=sd_eng

mayordenis wrote: »
    Wut? I think most would agree with the part in bold.
    lol as in Carra's the only player who would take Gerrard down a notch like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hobart wrote: »
    You don't actually, as nobody knows enough about this transfer to say when what will be paid and how much.

Secondly, it assumes that the 7M owed to Liverpool, was to go back into the transfer kitty, which is a huge unknown. The deal is 'mooted' to be 5M up front with further payments on a staged basis.

Exactly, nobody knows, we are all speculating.

All the speculation is that 7M is included so that is 7M that will not show as income in Liverpools accounts. Whether that would have went on transfers or not, we don't know.
    spockety wrote: »
    In fairness to myself, Mitch's first say on the matter was to suggest that I was making up figures, and even went so far as to give me the 'correct' figures like I was either being an idiot, or pulling the wool over people's eyes.

So no, I don't have to give any fairness back imo.

;) Wasn't really addressing the pissing contest.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Dossena seems to be the only definite transfer out yet.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Anyone hear about the toffees placing a 7million pound bid on our two boys Kevin Doyle and Hunt..

Would seem good business for LFC to get a bit of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Anyone hear about the toffees placing a 7million pound bid on our two boys Kevin Doyle and Hunt..

are you joking?

Love to see them in an LFC Jersey ! Doyle esp..

They can bloody visit the club shop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

The very fact that Everton are going for them, indicates that they're not Liverpool material.

Small club and all that.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,130 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Wouldn't mind Doyle as backup striker, Dont see a place for Hunt at all though, dont think he's better then a single wide player we already have.

Ah in fairness 7m for Doyle and Hunt would be excellent business, think of them as the irish Villa and Silva, just better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

From Villa to Kevin Doyle! lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Doyle for 3 or 4 million would be a good buy. I think i'd prefer N'Gog though to be honest. Hunt is just rubbish.

I think Doyle with the right team and management behind him would be a goal machine..

Years Club App (Gls)*
    2002–2003 St Patrick's Athletic 010 0(0)
    2003–2005 Cork City 075 (25)
    2005– Reading 154 (55)

I like Hunt as it happens, but the more rarefied atmosphere of Champions League football is not for him really. Althought he could scare a few woosie Madrid players I suspect.

Kuyt on the Right, Hunt on the left, the opposition would think we are a right pack of cunts.

God this thread needs a signing or two. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

ahh come on!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

mayordenis wrote: »
    Kuyt on the Right, Hunt on the left, the opposition would think we are a right pack of cunts.

That's sig worthy.:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

7m for Doyle and Hunt is 100% pure and unadulterated Bullplop!

unless both are nearing the end of their contracts I would expect Doyle to command around 7m on his own and Hunt another 5m or so

Doyle however imo would be a good backup striker for Liverpool if they keep playing one up front. I however would prefer to see him have regular football

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Doyle is nowhere near the level required to play for LFC,I am not going to even comment on Hunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Dub13 wrote: »
    Doyle is nowhere near the level required to play for LFC,I am not going to even comment on Hunt.

Agree easily with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Doyle and Voronin would be a great striking partnership in the reserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Doyle and Hunt? Are you people being serious?

If they were not Irish you guys would not even consider them. Green tinted glasses imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Doyle and Hunt? Are you people being serious?

If they were not Irish you guys would not even consider them. Green tinted glasses imo

+1

Villa not for sale anymore then ?

http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2009/06/19/Liga-Villa-agent-on-Valencia-policy/gnid-57635/

Very odd that Valencia would pull the plug on the sale given their financial situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2009/06/19/Liga-Villa-agent-on-Valencia-policy/gnid-57635/

Very odd that Valencia would pull the plug on the sale given their financial situation.

There was talk that he only wanted to go to Liverpool if he had to leave but we couldnt stump up what they were looking for.

But ya cant believe 95% of the ****e thats spouted during transfer season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

This is actually good news for us.

Realistically, we were never in for him, Silva on the other other hand we are very much interested in. Valencia had said only one of those two would be leaving the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Another bluff, methinks...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement