Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Mr Alan wrote: »
    This is actually good news for us.

Realistically, we were never in for him, Silva on the other other hand we are very much interested in. Valencia had said only one of those two would be leaving the club.

Why do you think its good news though? Would this not make Madrid say now "Cant get him lets go for silva".

And Silva was a much more likely option for us than Villa.

Unless of course Rafa has said "Hey my friends at Valencia lets talk about Villa joining us but on the quiet for sure ok". Yes I think thats whats happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

4 of the worlds biggest clubs, and they were in contact with 3 of the 4.

Barca, Real, Chelsea, Liverpool

(Never been any credible source of UTd interest)

We know Real and Chelsea both made offers, so that leaves either us ir Barca having not made an offer.
    I'd have to asume it was us, and that we never made a genuine attempt.

To be honest though, this means nothing.
    I really can't see Valencia selling him to either Real or Barca, if anyone, I think Chelsea are favorites.
    If we could get the cash, he'd come to us, but nobody knows how much we have.

Before the sudden talk of both Silva and Villa a few days ago started, I'd just been told that we had eyes on Johnson and Aguero.

That to me is beyond any dreams, but still moe likely than Villa.

Aguero has wanted to move to Liverpool since he was a child.
    But Atletico paid €23,000,000 for him a few years ago, and his value has doubled since then.

Still though, Rafa did suggest we were gonna break Liverpools transfer record this summer, so somebody has to be coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Still though, Rafa did suggest we were gonna break Liverpools transfer record this summer, so somebody has to be coming.

//Dances up and down
    I wanna know now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

From a Liverpool point of view I think Doyle would be an excellent signing but from an Irish point of view I hope he goes to Everton.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Sounds like valencia pulled the plug cos villa's choice of club was not the one offering valencia the highest transfer fee...

Doyle is no better than Voronin.
    Why spend money on a player when you're trying to ofload somebody at least as good, who offers more options, with more experience?!

The only thing Doyle has is youth.

He is not anywhere close to being a Liverpool level signing.
    There's a reason he plays in the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

spockety wrote: »
    Sounds like valencia pulled the plug cos villa's choice of club was not the one offering valencia the highest transfer fee...

Bingo.
    Reading Karmafaerie there, if Aguero was to join, I'd imagine the only way it could be financed is through a cash plus player deal even allowing for a greater amount of cash being available.
    Who would that player(s) be though, and what is the likely cost of Aguero, given Atletico paid 23m for him a couple of years ago?
    30m + Babel?
    35m + Babel?
    35m + Babel + Voronin?

I dunno. But its great to able to dream!

Why spend money on a player when you're trying to ofload somebody at least as good, who offers more options, with more experience?!

To be fair there's a lot of players recently who've "played" for Liverpool, who could be said aren't up to the calibre. No doubt about Doyler is no Torres, but I'd rate him higher than Voronin. He's a workhorse, is able to play up top or wide right, is decent in the air, and good in around the box. He'd do a job with the support players we'd have against the mid to lower premiership teams. I've no doubt of that.
    If there was oodles amount of cash lying around, I'd have no issue with 4m of it being spent on Doyler, but if that 4m is difference between improving the first 11 or not then no doubt its not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

spockety wrote: »

For a number of reasons, this has to be us.

Kingdom wrote: »
    To be fair there's a lot of players recently who've "played" for Liverpool, who could be said aren't up to the calibre. No doubt about Doyler is no Torres, but I'd rate him higher than Voronin. He's a workhorse, is able to play up top or wide right, is decent in the air, and good in around the box. He'd do a job with the support players we'd have against the mid to lower premiership teams. I've no doubt of that.
    If there was oodles amount of cash lying around, I'd have no issue with 4m of it being spent on Doyler, but if that 4m is difference between improving the first 11 or not then no doubt its not worth it.

But you've seen very little of Voronin to say that.
    (I'm assuming.)
    Nearly all Liverpool fans oppinions of him is best on a broken up half season in the prem.

He plays Up front, off the front man, on the right, on the left, or in center midfield, so beats Doyle hands down for versatility.

He creats and scores goals.

He has a hell of a lot more experience.

He's played more internationaly

He was Herthas player of the season last year.

He's better than Doyle, and wouldn't cost anything!

Doyle would add nothing to our squad that we don't already have.
    He is in all honesty, an average player.

Liverpool have had lots of average playes over the last two decades, that's true.
    And how many league titles has that gotten us?

To progress, you don't buy average players.

Reading Karmafaerie there, if Aguero was to join, I'd imagine the only way it could be financed is through a cash plus player deal even allowing for a greater amount of cash being available.
    Who would that player(s) be though, and what is the likely cost of Aguero, given Atletico paid 23m for him a couple of years ago?
    30m + Babel?
    35m + Babel?
    35m + Babel + Voronin?

I dunno. But its great to able to dream!

Chelsea have offered £40,000,000 only to have it turned down before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

He plays Up front, off the front man, on the right, on the left, or in center midfield, so beats Doyle hands down for versatility.

He also has a much much better nickname. The Vorinator is ridiculously better than Doyler.

Pighead wrote: »
    He also has a much much better nickname. The Vorinator is ridiculously better than Doyler.

Or "The Crow" as he's known in Germany (No idea why!).:P

Edit:Oh yeah, it's cause The Crow, translates as Vorona or something.

But you've seen very little of Voronin to say that.
    Nearly all Liverpool fans oppinions of him is best on a broken up half season in the prem.

Doyle would add nothing to our squad that we don't already have.
    He is in all honesty, an average player.

Liverpool have had lots of average playes over the last two decades, that's true.
    And how many league titles has that gotten us?

To progress, you don't buy average players.

I'm not disagreeing with you, and I've seen a bit of Voronin and wasn't too unimpressed in fairness. There's a degree of green tinted glasses on alright with regards to Doyler, but then I've been at Irish matches over the past 3 yrs where he's been untouchable in terms of effort and application, and to be fair he's impressed me when surrounded by players throughout his career of a poorer calibre than those Voronin has been used to. Anyway money is an issue so there's no debate really!

Chelsea have offered £40,000,000 only to have it turned down before.
    To be fair, Liverpool aren't Chelsea, in terms of their dealings with other clubs and the obscene amounts of cash they throw at clubs, in a kind of "we're considerably richer than you!" way

Voronin has never shown he can do it in the premiership. If we can get £4m for Voronin then I'd be more then happy to spend that on some who's a proven goalscorer in the premier league. There's a reason the only teams who seem to be interested in Ngog are championship ones yet some people want him to stay over doyle. I don't want to start next season with no proven premiership player behind torres. I certainly disagree with you're view that Ngog is just as good a player as Doyle.

Voronin has never shown he can do it in the premiership. If we can get £4m for Voronin then I'd be more then happy to spend that on some who's a proven goalscorer in the premier league. There's a reason the only teams who seem to be interested in Ngog are championship ones yet some people want him to stay over doyle. I don't want to start next season with no proven premiership player behind torres.

Voronin

5 goals in 13 starts (07/08)

Doyle

6 goals in 34 starts (07/08)

And that was with Voronin playing a lot on the wing, breaking a bone in his ankle, and playing in a new country where he didn't speak the language.
    It was Doyles third season in England, second in the prem, playing up front.
    Doyle did have a better return the season before 13 in 28 starts, but I'm comparing like for like, season for season, with everything in Doyles favour.

Doyle scored one more goal, in almost 3 times as many starts.

Doyle is noway better than Voronin, and also, I never said he wasn't better than Ngog, that was somebody else.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Voronin

Doyle

And that was with Voronin playing a lot on the wing, breaking a bone in his ankle, and playing in a new country where he didn't speak the language.
    Doyle did have a better return the season before 13 in 28 starts, but I'm comparing like for like, season for season, with everything in Doyles favour.

Doyle is noway better than Voronin, and also, I never said he wasn't better than Ngog, that was somebody else.;)

Sure Voronin is a world class midfielder. ;)

The reason Doyle had such a poor goal return in 07/08 is because of that greedy Ginger fella that was playing beside him.

I'm not disagreeing with you, and I've seen a bit of Voronin and wasn't too unimpressed in fairness. There's a degree of green tinted glasses on alright with regards to Doyler, but then I've been at Irish matches over the past 3 yrs where he's been untouchable in terms of effort and application, and to be fair he's impressed me when surrounded by players throughout his career of a poorer calibre than those Voronin has been used to. Anyway money is an issue so there's no debate really!

To be fair, Liverpool aren't Chelsea, in terms of their dealings with other clubs and the obscene amounts of cash they throw at clubs, in a kind of "we're considerably richer than you!" way

Voronin never got a chance at Liverpool.
    He came in at the same time as Nando, and that would make anyone crap by comparrison.

As for Aguero, we have 4 things in our favour.

1) Kun, loves Liverpool.
    2) Kun loves Torres.
    3) Atletico and Liverpool are close.
    4) Kuns daddy-in-law is a famous Liverpool fan.:P

Boggles wrote: »
    Sure Voronin is a world class midfielder. ;)

The reason Doyle had such a poor goal return in 07/08 is because of that greedy Ginger fella that was playing beside him.

Sure Boggles, you're left there.

I mean right!

No left!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

When did he say that?

• Advertisement

Voronin

Doyle

DOyle actually played the majority of his second season on the right wing. But points taken overall.

Sure Boggles, you're left there.

I mean right!

No left!!!

Haha .

Doyle is a decent player, Kitson ruined him that year.

Doyle = 6-7 million
    Aguero = 35-40

I know which one I'd choose, the one proven in the premeir league for pittance.

Unearthly wrote: »
    When did he say that?
    The Spaniard shelled out £20 million – with a further £6 million in clauses dependent on the club's success – two years ago to acquire striker Fernando Torres from Atletico Madrid, but admits he may have to shatter that this year to keep pace with United.

He said: "We may well break our transfer record, but we certainly won't break Manchester United's. But it does not matter about the prices, it is about finding the right players.

This was the end of May.

"Supposedly" since then he's been told he has more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Unearthly wrote: »
    When did he say that?

I was going to ask the same thing

ill be bookmarking that quote

Haha .

Doyle is a decent player, Kitson ruined him that year.

Doyle = 6-7 million
    Aguero = 35-40

I know which one I'd choose, the one proven in the premeir league for pittance.

Not me.

We have proven goalscorers.

Riera will get 5-8 a season.
    Babel 5-10
    Benayoun 8-12
    Gerrard 20-25
    Torres 30-35
    Kuyt 12-18
    etc

We need something special.

Doyle IMO just won't bring that.
    Sergio would.

P.S: does that mean you'd choose Doyle over Benzema Boggles?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Just reading that Rafa quote gave me a dose of reality. We might break our transfer record, but not United's.

I think we can forget about David Villa then.

(United's transfer record is for Berbatov, £32m yeah?)

• Advertisement

Not me.

We have proven goalscorers.

Riera will get 5-8 a season.
    Babel 5-10
    Benayoun 8-12
    Gerrard 20-25
    Torres 30-35
    Kuyt 12-18
    etc

We need something special.

Doyle IMO just won't bring that.
    Sergio would.

P.S: does that mean you'd choose Doyle over Benzema Boggles?

You do need something special, but ye don't have 40 million pounds to splash on one player, that may or may not start, his best postion is actually Gerrards.

I'd love Doyle at United, I think he is smashing lad.

I'm not completley in favour of Benzema coming to United Karma.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Just reading that Rafa quote gave me a dose of reality. We might break our transfer record, but not United's.

I think we can forget about David Villa then.

(United's transfer record is for Berbatov, £32m yeah?)

Like I said, this supposed Vila talk was before the supposed new investment.

Damn I've said supposed a lot in the last few days!

You do need something special, but ye don't have 40 million pounds to splash on one player, that may or may not start, his best postion is actually Gerrards.

I'd love Doyle at United, I think he is smashing lad.

I'm not completley in favour of Benzema coming to United Karma.

I think Doyle would be another Liam Miller for Utd if he did.
    I'm not denying his talent, and he'd be great at a Villa, Everton, or maybe even Spurs.

But he's not a top class player.

To put it in context, he's no Keane, and if Keanes spell at Anfield is anything to go by.......

I think Benzema would do well at Utd, but can't see where he'd play.
    Also think he might take some time to settle.

Voronin

Doyle

I dont see how playing for a team who got relegated points to a sign that everything was in doyles favour. Doyle's 13 goals in 28 stars isn't much worse then Voronin's 11 goals in 23 starts for Hertha this season and I'd say playing for a team like Hertha a lot more chances would be created for him compared to Reading. You said Doyle wouldn't improve the squad, as I said I think Doyle over Ngog is a big improvement.

Like I said, this supposed Vila talk was before the supposed new investment.

Damn I've said supposed a lot in the last few days!

Well its the summer so its to be expected. There'll be a hell of a lot more supposing right until the transfer window closes.

We could start calling it supposition season instead of silly season

• Advertisement

To be fair none of the Liverpool reserves are, I know I would prefer Doyle sitting on the bench instead of some of the Dross to be honest.

He would also help against the teams Liverpool constantly draw against.

Doyle maybe 12-15 goals for 7 million.
    Aguero could easily get the same maybe 4 or 5 more for 35-40?

It all goes back to the Gerrard problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Doyle hasn't been linked I don't know why we're even talking about him...

As for Benzema at United I think he'd be a great signing, and to be honest I think you'll get him this season or next. He has played across all front 3 positions for Lyon this year, so he could be seen as a direct replacement for Tevez, or even Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Can someone link to the "Villa only wants to go to Liverpool" story? Can't remember seeing it anywhere....

As for Benzema at United I think he'd be a great signing, and to be honest I think you'll get him this season or next. He has played across all front 3 positions for Lyon this year, so he could be seen as a direct replacement for Tevez, or even Ronaldo.

I'm not doubting Benzemas talent, from the 6-8 matches I have seen him play.

He has huge confidence issues though, as we all know football is 80% confidence.

I dont see how playing for a team who got relegated points to a sign that everything was in doyles favour. Doyle's 13 goals in 28 stars isn't much worse then Voronin's 11 goals in 23 starts for Hertha this season and I'd say playing for a team like Hertha a lot more chances would be created for him compared to Reading. You said Doyle wouldn't improve the squad, as I said I think Doyle over Ngog is a big improvement.

Voronin played center midfield/attacking midfield for Hertha.

It's his natural position, but unless you want to swap him for Stevie, then he's not going to play there regularly for us.
    One of the few games he did play there, was when he orchistrated the biggest victory in the history of the Champions League for us though.
    (2 assists, and the creater of 2 other goals)

Voronin was Herthas player of the season last year.
    Same was Alonso was for us this season.
    He was a massive hit over there.

Little things like scoring both goals against Bayern when ye beat them 2-1 will do that.

Sure 98% of the players linked to most clubs is bullshíté.

No harm in users linking players and talking about it, same difference really.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=david+villa+liverpool

EDIT: that was the sun it seems, apologies...

So....The Sun?

To be fair none of the Liverpool reserves are, I know I would prefer Doyle sitting on the bench instead of some of the Dross to be honest.

He would also help against the teams Liverpool constantly draw against.

Doyle maybe 12-15 goals for 7 million.
    Aguero could easily get the same maybe 4 or 5 more for 35-40?

It all goes back to the Gerrard problem.

But Babel on form is more than 12-15 goals IMO.
    With a new winger, Benni will be a bench player too.
    I'd prefer both of them, with the £7 mill going on a winger or higher class striker, to Doyle.

• Advertisement

What top class player do you think we'll be able to sign who will be a squad player for most of the season and be happy with it?
    Voronin played center midfield/attacking midfield for Hertha.

It's his natural position, but unless you want to swap him for Stevie, then he's not going to play there regularly for us.
    One of the few games he did play there, was when he orchistrated the biggest victory in the history of the Champions League for us though.
    (2 assists, and the creater of 2 other goals)

Voronin was Herthas player of the season last year.
    Same was Alonso was for us this season.
    He was a massive hit over there.

Little things like scoring both goals against Bayern when ye beat them 2-1 will do that.

So why do you want to keep Voronin and play him as a striker if it's not his natural position? Do you not think he will be similiar to Keane when he's asked to play as lone striker he'll naturally drop back looking for the ball?

But Babel on form is more than 12-15 goals IMO.

I keep forgetting your a glass half full person, let go Karma, let go man. :pac:
    With a new winger, Benni will be a bench player too.
    I'd prefer both of them, with the £7 mill going on a winger or higher class striker, to Doyle.

You need a striker though, whose world cup postion doesn't depend on next season and who can do a job, you would do a hell of alot worse than Doyle.

Yeah, that's more like what I was looking for, thanks

edit: though I didn't realise it's over a year old. No matter I guess.

abelard wrote: »
    So....The Sun?

sorry didnt read the source just the headline, better link from Karmafaerie

What top class player do you think we'll be able to sign who will be a squad player for most of the season and be happy with it?

So why do you want to keep Voronin and play him as a striker if it's not his natural position? Do you not think he will be similiar to Keane when he's asked to play as lone striker he'll naturally drop back looking for the ball?

I don't want to keep Voronin.
    I simply don't want to buy Doyle.

If Voronin stays, I think he'll provide good cover across all the attacking roles.
    If he goes, he'll generate cash for a higher quality replacement.

Doyle however would cost around £7,000,000!

If it's a choice between buying Silva and keeping voronin, or buying Doyle and an okay winger, I think it's safe to know where I'd be leaning.

All I'm saying is that Doyle wouldn't offer something we don't have, and would cost £7,000,000 for the pleasure of it.

I keep forgetting your a glass half full person, let go Karma, let go man. :pac:

I still have my Ajax and Liverpool Babel shirts, and I'm holding onto them for dear life, thank you very much.;)
    Boggles wrote:
    You need a striker though, whose world cup postion doesn't depend on next season and who can do a job, you would do a hell of alot worse than Doyle.

We could also do a hell of a lot better, and will have to if we want to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Eamo rates Doyle that's good enough for me

;-)

Headshot wrote: »
    Eamo rates Doyle that's good enough for me

;-)

Sure Doyle's better than Ronaldo and he went for £80m...:D

• Advertisement

All I'm saying is that Doyle wouldn't offer something we don't have, and would cost £7,000,000 for the pleasure of it.

As I said I don't think we have decent back up for Torres. This is only going around in circles though so I'll leave it here!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement