Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

DeadSkin wrote: »
    I never implied we'd get Cole for £6m.
    Promises, shmromises, Rafa still signed Bellamy & his baggage.
    Maybe Cole will promise he'll be a good boy if Rafa signs him.

I never said that you did.

I implied the mitigating circumstances.
    The only reason that Rafa risked Belamy, is that he was able to get him so cheaply.
    This isn't the case with Cole, so the two aren't comparable.

Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

I never said that you did.

I implied the mitigating circumstances.
    The only reason that Rafa risked Belamy, is that he was able to get him so cheaply.
    This isn't the case with Cole, so the two aren't comparable.

Simple.

its been a while since anything to do with LFC has been simple. It seems everything to do with the club at the minute is complicated, stadium, owners transfer:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

They are comparable with their said 'disruptive' attitude, Bellamy was still a risk, albeit cheaper.
    My original response was to
    Complete opposit of the kind of player that Rafa has always bought.
    I see this as a non-story TBH, which is a pity, cause talent wise, he's amazing!
    Agreed! Case closed :pac:

They are comparable with their said 'disruptive' attitude, Bellamy was still a risk, albeit cheaper.
    My original response was to

Agreed! Case closed :pac:

Lets just agree to disagree.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

No chance Cole would drop down imo, also no chance of Chelsea selling him to Liverpool.
    Spurs/Villa would be his only English outs.

If Cole would drop down for Spurs or Villa, he'd 'drop down' for Liverpool.

Chelsea have Ballack, Lampard, Cole, Malouda, Deco, Kalou, SWP and Essien, who are all capable of playing Cole's role, to varying degrees. To top that off, there's strong rumours that they're bringing in one, possible two, of Robinho and Kaka. It's easy to imagine a situation where Scolari decides to slim down his squad by selling off players like Cole.

For what it's worth, I'd take him at Liverpool. He showed that he was willing and able to improve his game under Mourinho, and would hopefully be similarly receptive to Rafa's tutelage. He's the exact type of player we need for our attacking midfield. He's left-footed, but he thrives centrally as opposed to out wide. He tracks back and is great at linking play between the midfield and attackers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

If Cole would drop down for Spurs or Villa, he'd 'drop down' for Liverpool.

Chelsea have Ballack, Lampard, Cole, Malouda, Deco, Kalou, SWP and Essien, who are all capable of playing Cole's role, to varying degrees. To top that off, there's strong rumours that they're bringing in one, possible two, of Robinho and Kaka. It's easy to imagine a situation where Scolari decides to slim down his squad by selling off players like Cole.

For what it's worth, I'd take him at Liverpool. He showed that he was willing and able to improve his game under Mourinho, and would hopefully be similarly receptive to Rafa's tutelage. He's the exact type of player we need for our attacking midfield. He's left-footed, but he thrives centrally as opposed to out wide. He tracks back and is great at linking play between the midfield and attackers.

He's right footed actually, but is comfortable on the left wing.

I would say he is the best English player for years 'technically'. He also learned a lot the season WH got relegated when he was superb playing in Centre Midfield.

He has a bit of a potato head however....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

sorry for the OT post here lads but I need the link to the website that shows all the sports streams that are on. I am in work so I can't check my favourites and I want to watch the irish guy boxing in the olympics in 5 mins.... any1 have a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

dardoz wrote: »
    sorry for the OT post here lads but I need the link to the website that shows all the sports streams that are on. I am in work so I can't check my favourites and I want to watch the irish guy boxing in the olympics in 5 mins.... any1 have a link?

http://www.myp2p.eu/index.php?part=sports

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Anyone know if the game is tomorrow night is on TV anywhere?? I cant find it anywhere, I know how to get it online, but prefer the tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

dbnavan wrote: »
    Anyone know if the game is tomorrow night is on TV anywhere?? I cant find it anywhere, I know how to get it online, but prefer the tv

I think ITV/UTV have it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

emc2 wrote: »
    I think ITV/UTV have it.

20.00 - 22.10 (Kick-off 20.05)
    Uefa Champions League Live
    ITV 1
    Standard Liege v LiverpoolStandard Liege v Liverpool (Kick-off 8.05pm). Craig Doyle presents coverage of the third qualifying round first-leg encounter at the Stade Maurice Dufrasne. The Reds have a decent record in this competition in recent years, but will still be wary of taking on the Belgian champions given the financial consequences of not reaching the group stages. Rafael Benitez has added several new faces to his squad and the likes of Robbie Keane and Andrea Dossena are hoping to take their European bow for the 2005 champions. With commentary by Clive Tyldesley SUB
    Sport/Football - Club
    Tomorrow on ITV 1 from 8:00pm to 10:10pm
    Set a reminderEmail MeText MeClose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Nice one, and no better charmer than Doyler to present it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3970750,00.html

Manchester Utd...20m bid rejected.

We never really had a chance did we?

Nope, but people will still say that we could have gotten Villa for the same price as Keane.:rolleyes:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

clever move by Ferguson. I'd bet that 20 mill would have been Rafa's upper bid. If it's true that Rafa has another 22 million in the kitty I'd rather he waited until Xmas to get a quality player rather than a stop-gap for now. The team looks good to me as it is and would only be improved by adding a quality winger, not just a winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭modmuffin

Whats the story with Agge. Is he fit and ready for the start of the season.

modmuffin wrote: »
    Whats the story with Agge. Is he fit and ready for the start of the season.

Reports are that 'the Dagger' is fit and ready for the new season.

He is such a quality CB. I can see Skrtel having a tough time getting into the team this year, and he's class as well.
    I'm also going to get a few quid down on Agger for first goal quite regularly this year.
    Hyypia used to be my first goal bet all the time but i think Agger could grab 5+ goals from CB.

raven136 wrote: »
    anyone check out Martin Samuel column in the times.Great piece about the Barry saga.Sorry cant link it:o

It's in the Indo as well I think.
    It's well written but i don't subscribe to the view that Barry would improve us greatly, as in be the 'final piece' to make us PL winners.

On another note i hate when Journalists predict are team and have it lining out as a 4-4-2. How fcuking lazy or useless are they?? Hae they watched us play in the last 10 months or so???

Poland winger Jakub Blaszczykowski wants to move to Liverpool in an £8m deal, but the 22-year-old's club Borussia Dortmund are refusing to sell. (The Times)
    Hmmm....looks like another stop gap on the way

Official link - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article4518057.ece

It mentions Yossi's sale to roma but we were told he's going nowhere

Poland winger Jakub Blaszczykowski wants to move to Liverpool in an £8m deal, but the 22-year-old's club Borussia Dortmund are refusing to sell. (The Times)
    Hmmm....looks like another stop gap on the way

Official link - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article4518057.ece

It mentions Yossi's sale to roma but we were told he's going nowhere
    Smells of bs
    He wants to move to Liverpool, so do I :pac:
    Also he's a right sided midfielder, not what we need.

• Advertisement

Smells of bs
    He wants to move to Liverpool, so do I :pac:
    Also he's a right sided midfielder, not what we need.

I noticed that too. All this cutting inside bollocks has confused the situation somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Barry stuff moved to Barry thread

just checked out this Jakub Blaszczykowski on youtube. He looks like a stop gap alrit, nothing amazing. Probably a bit better than Pennant, thats not saying much

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

dardoz wrote: »
    just checked out this Jakub Blaszczykowski on youtube. He looks like a stop gap alrit, nothing amazing. Probably a bit better than Pennant, thats not saying much
    sorry lads - at work here and can't check youtube, is this lad any good? i don't rate pennant at all, so if this new lad is only marginally better...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7551414.stm
    Steve Finnan will not play after he was left behind amid reports of a row between himself and Rafael Benitez.

and
    "I am not thinking about signing players at the moment, because they cannot play against Liege. I am only concentrating on this game.

"And I have not needed to contact the owners because they cannot help with the preparation for this match. I prefer not to say anything else.

"I have not been distracted, I have been focusing on this game and getting to the Champions League group stages."
    Sounds very similar to the concentraing on preparing his team, that we had last year when communication had broken down with the yanks and Rafa.

Liverpool (provisional): Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Dossena, Kuyt, Gerrard, Alonso, Benayoun, Torres, Keane.
    Subs (from): Cavalieri, Plessis, Ngog, Spearing, Hyypia, Pennant, Darby.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

Sounds like relations between the two are pretty frosty again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Sounds like a load of B.S. Tbh. Rafa says he's concentrating on prepering the team for the match tonight and everyone takes it as he's argueing with the owners.Usual nothing stories from the tabloids at the moment about the club.:rolleyes: Back to the game.Cant wait for tonight to see what team Rafa puts out there.Hopefully he will go with a mix and match of youth and experience and hold out the big guns for Saturday. Watched a few clips of Leige over the last few days and man oh man they are brutal. Football in belgium had really gone to the dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think Finnan - Rafa is not half what its being reported as.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Rafa has always tended to focus on the upcoming game in his press conferences. I wouldn't read too much into what he said.

I'm not sure about this Finnan thing - he didnt travel to Valerenga either, did he? He cant be carrying a knock if he's being called up for the Irish game next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I seriously doubt we will start the new season with Finnan, Degen & Arbeloa. How would they get enough game time ? You would need serious rotation to keep them happy and rotating defenders is not a good idea.

I expect Finnan to be sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Poland winger Jakub Blaszczykowski

I'd love to hear Andy Gray try and spout that name for 90 mins:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Rafa said this yesterday about Finnan;
    While the Reds captain looks likely to win his fitness battle, one player who won't feature is full-back Steve Finnan, who Benitez feels is still short of match practice.

"He is not on the bench and has not travelled but we have Arbeloa in that position," said the Anfield manager.

"He was injured at the beginning of pre-season and had an operation and although he is now training with the team, he is still a bit behind in fitness."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160890080812-1839.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,316 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

is the match on tv tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Cyrus wrote: »
    is the match on tv tonight?

Mentioned 10 times already Cyrus ;) ITV/UTV

Would Rafa be pissed that Finnan came out of international retirement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,316 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Mentioned 10 times already Cyrus ;) ITV/UTV

doesnt come up on entertainment.ie :D

cheers jesus :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

www.wheresthematch.com

Never have to look anywhere else for match listings :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Any whispers about the starting lineup yet ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

no 3 o clock kick off on tv on saturday :'(
    I was looking forward to a day of football gluttony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Villain wrote: »
    www.wheresthematch.com

Looks a lot handier than liveonsat.com, etc.. Not without it's mistakes though - they're listing the boro v lfc game at the start of sept as being part of La Liga :confused:

EDIT: What's more that game on Sept 2nd is a reserves match.

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    www.wheresthematch.com

Very nice website, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Tusky wrote: »
    Very nice website, cheers.
    Yea I only found it last week, its handy the way you can click on a team and see all the games that are been shown.

Cyrus wrote: »
    doesnt come up on entertainment.ie :D

cheers jesus :)

ITV and UTV are not always the same shows. It is not listed on entertainment.ie on UTV, please god they are wrong...

I see Stephen Warnock has put in for a transfer - is he the solution to the left side ;)

Mike

mike65 wrote: »
    I see Stephen Warnock has put in for a transfer - is he the solution to the left side ;)

Mike

Oh no he hasn't :pac::p
    Blackburn full-back Stephen Warnock has said reports saying he has handed in a transfer request are "rubbish". (Sky Sports News, 1226 BST)

Although I was diasappointed when he left.

dardoz, it's on UTV for defo!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

mayordenis wrote: »
    no 3 o clock kick off on tv on saturday :'(
    I was looking forward to a day of football gluttony

Boro Spurs is on Setanta Ireland at 3. Liverpool then on at 5.15.

I thought the Warnock story must be rubbish, where would be go?

Mike.

He's been linked to Newcastle the last few weeks or so. Swap deal with the Duffer!

So its looking like Man U will sign Berbatov for 28m. To be fair, they will have a scarily good team. Thats without Nani, Hargreaves, Carrick, Brown, Saha etc.

Berbatov

Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Tevez

Scholes--Anderson

Evra---Ferdinand---Vidic--Neville

Van Der Sar

I think their squad is almost as good as Chelseas now. Ours is on par...or maybe a wee bit better than Arsenals...

I think Chelsea & Utd will battle it out for 1st & 2nd with ourselves and Arsenal fighting over 3rd & 4th. Hopefully we can stay in the mix until the end of the season for added excitement. I think it may be even tighter this year than last.

Really looking forward to Saturday now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

same side as the Lazio game.

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Agger
    Dossena

Plessis
    Alonso

Kuyt
    Keane
    Benayoun

Torres

Glad to see Plessis starting. I'm sure he won't let us down.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement