Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

true, but i mean in general

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

event wrote: »
    true, but i mean in general

I hear what you're saying but then you are forgetting that women aren't creatures to be reasoned with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

JPA wrote: »
    I hear what you're saying but then you are forgetting that women aren't creatures to be reasoned with.

succubus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

dont know what they get in TV money, but might not be as much as PL teams.

The t.v deal they have in Spain is not as well split as it is in the premier league. In spain both Real and Barça get almost €300 million each, which is one of the ways Real can afford to pend ludicrous money on the new galacticos, whereas Barça clearly feel they don't need to change too much.

Barça have money but they invest it in their youth facilities. That supposed €35 million is probably made up of their winnings from La Liga, C.L and the spanish cup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

also, with regards lads leaving for women, i just dont understand this

surely before a footballer explains to his other half, before they get married or whatever, that up until he is 35, his career is everything. That means we may have to live somewhere like liverpool or manchester or wherever for maybe 5 years or more. but for this, ill be taking home around £80,000 per week.
    after that, they can live anywhere in the world sure.

its a joke tbh, fúcking tell her that his job is in liverpool and thats where im staying.

I'd imagine Masch will be making at least what he's making here if he goes to Barca, probably more. So for career reasons you couldn't really blame him. I'm hoping he doesn't go but in fairness Barca are an amazing team, he'd be playing with some amazing players.

However I do think we should be looking for a monster transfer fee fo him. I mean he's a young guy with possibly his best years ahead of him, playing a role that to a top class standard that very few (if any) in world football can match. We should really be looking for at least £35m for him. I wouldn't be happy if the sale went through, but for that price tag it would be a decent enough piece of business.

There seems to be a decent chance that Barca won't be able to meet our valuation of him. I still think Masch might stay one more season at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Morzadec wrote: »
    We should really be looking for at least £35m for him. I wouldn't be happy if the sale went through, but for that price tag it would be a decent enough piece of business.

he is irreplaceable though.

and i don't say that lightly.

look at Makelele for Madrid and Chelsea.

everything must be done to keep him.

including 'taking care' of his wife ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

PHB wrote: »
    When the wife wants to move and it makes sense for your career, even if you like your current job, you'd probably want to leave. Personally,I think it'd be kinda weird if he just ignored his wifes wishes.

but but but... im playing football manager and he just signed a new contract and the string that shows mood says he is very happy:rolleyes:

Its a job
    A job in a foreign country with a foreign language

If he doesnt move and his wife and kids are in a different country to him, he will probably be very unhappy(most married men i know would be delighted:D)
    so he would probably be of no use anyhu :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I hate this bull**** with wives and agents. The reason I said I would lose respect is because he surely can see we are on the brink of something spectacular, leaving now just smacks of taking the easy road.

He should stay at least for one more year. I can understand if he left after winning something but we are so close to doing that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

look if masch leaves you can't question the man, he put in a great shift while he was here and we'll make a tidy profit on any deal.
    He has something more important to him than Liverpool or football in general and that's his family, and that's fair. end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

mayordenis wrote: »
    look if masch leaves you can't question the man, he put in a great shift while he was here and we'll make a tidy profit on any deal.
    He has something more important to him than Liverpool or football in general and that's his family, and that's fair. end.

+ we have your Golden Boy Lucas so who needs Masch anyway :rolleyes:
    lI kinda want one of our midfield boyo's to go I know it sounds fickle but I absolutely believe Lucas will come into this own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Also be thankful that he didn't say he wouldn't join Man Utd out of respect then join Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Fu€k sake!

Will some of ye grow up.
    We could be talking about the weather in outer mongolia, and somehow, ye'd still find a way to bring it back to slagging Lucas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Unearthly wrote: »
    Also be thankful that he didn't say he wouldn't join Man Utd out of respect then join Everton.

Er that wouldn't happen though would it? Everton?

mike65 wrote: »
    Er that wouldn't happen though would it? Everton?

tongue in cheek post at the Tevez situtation for Man Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

If Masch and Alonso do go - and looks likely that at least one will go - who do you think we should get? Personally I think we should try and go for Lampard (my reasoning is that Chelsea are an old team and will fall apart this year and yet Liverpool are a young exciting team) and leave StevieG up front with Torres. Other players are Van Persie and Stephen Ireland. I hope the two guys don't go - but lets look at it another way. If Masch stays but his home life is terrible it will affect his play and his value. Alonso should never have been in this situation - Benitez got this terribly wrong and Rafa should go on his knees, beg for forgiveness and keep Alonso.
    Also looking at the fixture lists for this year although all four big clubs have easy ish run-ins Arsenal have it the easiest with a run from mid-Feb thru to the end of the season.
    My forecast for this season are Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and that other team or Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

as a non pool fan i'd say 15-20, a good solid player for the best of teams but still questions over his consistency imo.

15-20??

If I was benitez and someone came to me with a 20 million bid for Alonso Id tell them Get the fook out. And thats the end of that.

Masch and Alonso are worth 30 million anything less and they can **** off.

Benitez took Mascherano when he was at his lowest in his career. If he cant find it in himself and to tell his stupid wife to stfu(politely of course) for one more year when we are so close to winning the title then I will have lost massive respect for him.

Why cant more footballers be like Torres. Seriously that lad is a shining example.

Lampard? Van Perise? How do either of them replace Alonso never mind Masch?

joe123 wrote: »
    Why cant more footballers be like Torres. Seriously that lad is a shining example.

Why? He left Athletico Madrid for a foreign team to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    If Masch and Alonso do go - and looks likely that at least one will go - who do you think we should get? Personally I think we should try and go for Lampard (my reasoning is that Chelsea are an old team and will fall apart this year and yet Liverpool are a young exciting team) and leave StevieG up front with Torres. Other players are Van Persie and Stephen Ireland.

Personally speaking I think we should throw Jay Spearing into the action. I've had the pleasure of watching this young lad 6 or 7 times this season for the reserves and I have to say he was THE standout player. We also have Plessis but he doesn't possess the pace and power Spearing has.

As always I would prefer to hand the youngsters a chance ahead of splashing the cash on a player that will more than likely need time to settle.

And we also have young Lucas who has come on alot at times this season and believe he may shine next season.

But let's just hope we can keep hold of the pair though monster Masch seems most likely to head to pastures Nou

• Advertisement

Unearthly

They knew he'd move on, almost certainly to Liverpool and never to Real Madrid.

Why? He left Athletico Madrid for a foreign team to.

What has that got to do with it? If you ever read Torres' interviews youll clearly see what I mean.

He didnt cause a fuss about leaving Atheltico he doesnt cause a fuss at Liverpool. He says all the right things. Ahh feck it I cant be arsed responding to a ridiculous question like that.

mike65 wrote: »
    Unearthly

They knew he'd move on, almost certainly to Liverpool and never to Real Madrid.

Yes not to a main rival, but Barca and Liverpool are not bitter rivals.

Yes not to a main rival, but Barca and Liverpool are not bitter rivals.

How many footballers hmm and haw over possible moves with agents getting involved and everything. Hes straight down the middle. Which cant be said with Alonso and Masch unfortunately.:o

What has that got to do with it? If you ever read Torres' interviews youll clearly see what I mean.

He didnt cause a fuss about leaving Atheltico he doesnt cause a fuss at Liverpool. He says all the right things. Ahh feck it I cant be arsed responding to a ridiculous question like that.

Calm down was just a question

Calm down was just a question

A bad one :p

Sorry but Torres is a god among men around these parts!

• Advertisement

A bad one :p

Sorry but Torres is a god among men around these parts!

My apologies

I shall never disrespect your god again

Can I take a dig at Lucas though? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Essien is the only current Prem player who does a similar job to Masch at a similar level. Chances of landing him? Zero. Chances of landing him for less than we might get for Masch? Less than that.

With the exception of Barca, we have the most well-balanced central midfield in football. This is where our potential ability to win trophies begins and ends. Keeping these two players (Masch & Alonso) together and fit and happy and in form is more important than ANY amount of money we might get.

IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Keeping together your squad really is the greatest challenge while trying to break into the top level. It goes to the route of your ability to make the players believe in you.

I always suspected Alonso wouldn't be too sad to leave after Benetiz made it clear last year he wasn't sad to loose him. Mascherano I'm slightly more surprised about, its kinda come out of left-field.

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    If Masch and Alonso do go - and looks likely that at least one will go - who do you think we should get? Personally I think we should try and go for Lampard (my reasoning is that Chelsea are an old team and will fall apart this year and yet Liverpool are a young exciting team) and leave StevieG up front with Torres. Other players are Van Persie and Stephen Ireland. I hope the two guys don't go - but lets look at it another way. If Masch stays but his home life is terrible it will affect his play and his value. Alonso should never have been in this situation - Benitez got this terribly wrong and Rafa should go on his knees, beg for forgiveness and keep Alonso.
    Also looking at the fixture lists for this year although all four big clubs have easy ish run-ins Arsenal have it the easiest with a run from mid-Feb thru to the end of the season.
    My forecast for this season are Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and that other team or Spurs.

Yeah, it's not FM.

My apologies

No.

And there is, and will only ever be one "God" at LFC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,744 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

well they dont get shirt sponsorship, in fact they pay for theirs, that would be a big loss.

id imagine the wage bill is huge, but they would have massive gates. dont know what they get in TV money, but might not be as much as PL teams.

Barcalona have Huge revenues, their TV alone eclipses the top 3 in the premier league.
    and Henrys legs are going/gone?

29 league games, 19 goals and 8 assists last year

played 12 in europe, 6 goals and 4 assists
    He'll be 32 in August, his game is based on pace, I don't know any player that has got faster with age, so unless he does a Giggs and moves in centrally he will need to be replaced sooner or later.

I bet you this time next year, all Liverpool fans will be saying they never doubted Lucas, and that they always thought he'd come good.

I hope so but I cant see it happening TBH. Will he improve next season? Of course he will. But he doesn't look like he's ever going to reach the levels of Alonso, Masch or Gerrard in the middle of the park! IMO he wont even come close! I honestly hope the lad proves me wrong.
    Fu€k sake!

Will some of ye grow up.
    We could be talking about the weather in outer mongolia, and somehow, ye'd still find a way to bring it back to slagging Lucas.

We have been discussing the probability that at least 1 if not 2 of our world class central midfielders will leave the club. Lucas is also a CM so of course his ability to fill the potential void left by them leaving will be discussed.
    You clearly like Lucas & thats fine. But just because some peoples opinions differ to yours does not mean that they need to "grow up". Its a forum where we're all permitted to post our opinions. Deal with it man!

Hephaestus wrote: »
    I hope so but I cant see it happening TBH. Will he improve next season? Of course he will. But he doesn't look like he's ever going to reach the levels of Alonso, Masch or Gerrard in the middle of the park! IMO he wont even come close! I honestly hope the lad proves me wrong.

Lucas had a very good end to last season.
    He is being played as a defensive midfielder, when he's not one!
    He's whole game in Brasil was about being a box-box player.
    At the moment, he's learning his trade on a tight leash, and he's getting good at it.

He was one of our best players aginst Utd at Old Trafford.
    And against Chelsea in the wonder game at the Bridge.

Hephaestus wrote:
    We have been discussing the probability that at least 1 if not 2 of our world class central midfielders will leave the club. Lucas is also a CM so of course his ability to fill the potential void left by them leaving will be discussed.
    You clearly like Lucas & thats fine. But just because some peoples opinions differ to yours does not mean that they need to "grow up". Its a forum where we're all permitted to post our opinions. Deal with it man!

There is no problem with voicing doubt at a player.
    There is an issue however with baseless insults and off the mark jokes.

If somebody says "I really have worries about Lucas, as I personaly don't think that he well step up".
    Then that is a valid point and I would treat it as such.

But when it amount to "Ahhhhhh Lucas is sh1te hahahahahah!!!"

Then it's childish bollix and I have no problem with telling them to grow up.

Allow me to demonstrate.

+ we have your Golden Boy Lucas so who needs Masch anyway :rolleyes:

That, is a childish, unhelpfull response.
    If you don't think that Lucas will step up.
    Say that.
    Don't deride him for no reason.

My apologies

This is taking the piss out of a player, for no reason whatsoever.
    A discussion about Torres, becomes a reason to slag Lucas.

There's a reason Liverpool fans sing "He's a red" about players that other teams, pundits, and *some* of our own fans deride.
    Whether I like Lucas as a player or not has nothing to do with it.

He's a red, and deserves more respect from our own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

He's a red, and deserves more respect from our own.

And busting his bollock the last couple of months to bulk up, and prove his doubters wrong.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    And busting his bollock the last couple of months to bulk up, and prove his doubters wrong.

He's a professional athlete. Reaching & maintaining the correct physical conditioning is part & parcel of being an athlete & not something which he deserves to be lauded for! Its what he's paid to do. By the way, putting on a few kg's of muscle aint that tough lad!

Lucas is a decent squad player but I'd be worried about next season if he replaces Masch or Alonso in the starting 11 should either of them leave!

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree until such a time as the situation presents itself.

This is taking the piss out of a player, for no reason whatsoever.
    A discussion about Torres, becomes a reason to slag Lucas.

Yawn. Step away from the computer and don't take life as seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

id be happy to see an alonso-lucas midfield next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Headshot wrote: »
    id be happy to see an alonso-lucas midfield next season

I'll be you would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

He's a professional athlete. Reaching & maintaining the correct physical conditioning is part & parcel of being an athlete & not something which he deserves to be lauded for! Its what he's paid to do. By the way, putting on a few kg's of muscle aint that tough lad!

Lucas is a decent squad player but I'd be worried about next season if he replaces Masch or Alonso in the starting 11 should either of them leave!

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree until such a time as the situation presents itself.

But yet if it were to be said that Lucas was just training when he had to and not putting in extra sessions, not doubt he would get stick from some quarters for not doing that bit extra to improve.

I am no great fan of Lucas, but it seems the lad can do no right at times in the eyes of some people, and Karma did raise a valid point in that Lucas is playing in a totally different role at LFC than what he did in Brazil.

I am probably as guilty as anyone for judging how good Lucas is by comparing him to the two players who play in the roles that he covers when one is out, Alonso and Masch. To be honest there are not many better than those two at what they do, so looking at Lucas on the pitch and dissing him for not being as good as them is pointless.

I would be curious to see what he could do if he got a run in his natural position, but at the same time I really could not pick any player that I would drop in his place.

I have a sneaky feeling that he will be a player that leaves LFC and goes on to do very well for himself at whatever club he joins.

I do think a big problem at LFC is the fact we are tied into a system now, albeit a bloody good one, but it is one that makes buying players for some positions a bit pointless as we end up trying to fit them into positions that are not their best ones. Like Lucas being played mostly as a defensive style midfielder.

If the first team squad was not to change in terms of outgoings this season (I know it will) then the only places that can realistically be enhanced to a much higher degree to what they are now are both wide positions and both full back slots. A case could be made for Kuyt, especially after his goal and assist return last season, but if I were to stick Ribery or Messi into his slot I do not think anyone could argue that it was not a big jump in class. The same difference in class cannot really be achieved up front or in or centre of midfield or defence (current 1st team that is)

My hope is that Rafa is thinking the same way, and the Johnson move suggests that he is, and that we end up seeing a players coming in for our wide left slot who is a huge upgrade on Riera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,744 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think an Alonso - Lucas midfield would be more benefitial than an Alonso - Gerrard partnership.

I'd still say Alonso is the more likey to leave over Masch.

• Advertisement

Yawn. Step away from the computer and don't take life as seriously.

You mean your contribution on here means nothing then?

Good.
    Glad we're in agreement.

You mean your contribution on here means nothing then?

Good.
    Glad we're in agreement.

God you are a bit of a sensitive individual aren't you?

I'll call the waaaaaambulance for you.

Boggles wrote: »
    I think an Alonso - Lucas midfield would be more benefitial than an Alonso - Gerrard partnership.

I would agree with that. I never felt that Alonso and Gerrard meshed well in the centre.

If the season started without Masch and with no replacement, I would want to see Lucas alongside Alonso and Gerrard behind Torres, even though it would be playing Lucas away from his strongest role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

God you are a bit of a sensitive individual aren't you?

I'll call the waaaaaambulance for you.

Good to see that you are offering this thread a lot.

I am getting worried about the Alonso/Masch situation. Losing either is a huge blow. I'm pretty happy having Lucas as a third choice midfielder, thats what he is at the moment. In time he could make the step up. The lad does try so I cant really berate him.

If we loose either of Xabi or Javier, a replacement will be bought.
    I'm not going to even try and guess at who, cause I don't want to contemplate the situation TBH.

If one had to go, I'd prefer Masch to stay, as while Lucas can kinda step into the Alonso role, he's nothing like Masch.

If we loose either of Xabi or Javier, a replacement will be bought.
    I'm not going to even try and guess at who, cause I don't want to contemplate the situation TBH.

If one had to go, I'd prefer Masch to stay, as while Lucas can kinda step into the Alonso role, he's nothing like Masch.

I am the opposite in that I would prefer Alonso to stay over Masch, but ideally I would want neither to leave. My logic is that Lucas is not the type of player who could control a game the way Xabi can, and whilst he could not match Masch for what Masch does, he could have a better stab at doing that than trying to fill the Alonso role.

Maybe Michael Essien is going to decide he is sick of Chelsea and wants to play alongside Alonso. :D He is not Masch but enough of an all rounder to play there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

wouldn't want Essien, dirty player.

If Mascherano leaves it'll be against Rafas wishes, in other words they'll have to make an offer too good to refuse. rumoured deal is 35m & Bojan, don't really rate Bojan at all tbh from what i've seen of him.

I think that kind of money for a player, who realistically, we don't need in 95% of games we play is near too good to turn down.

Think personally, we could get a player with a few more strings to his bow and it would increase our chances in the PL while possibly weakening our chances a little in the CL.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    wouldn't want Essien, dirty player.

If Mascherano leaves it'll be against Rafas wishes, in other words they'll have to make an offer too good to refuse. rumoured deal is 35m & Bojan, don't really rate Bojan at all tbh from what i've seen of him.

35m and Bojan? That is a decent starting offer :). Bojan is still very young, think he is/was 19 this year, and our Spanish contingent would/should help him settle. Like yourself I am a bit unsure about him, but he has shown great potential skillwise and has pace to burn and has great close control.

35m and Yaya Toure would be interesting as I think Toure is underrated by many, although the African nations cup would cause problems for us there. But he is a fast, strong imposing player who is good in the air and has good control and is a decent passer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

supposedly Real are in for him too.

20m Schneider & VDV and i'll drop him to the airport myself.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    supposedly Real are in for him too.

20m Schneider & VDV and i'll drop him to the airport myself.

If Real want him, then they can stump up more cash than I would have wanted Barca to, simple because I do not like them. I'll take 35m plus Sneijder, and then give Barca 15 mil for Yaya, and have 20 mil for Rafa to add to his war chest..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement