Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If Masch leaves we can say goodbye to any genuine title ambitions next year, regardless of who comes in to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I don't buy that. Masch is top class, but I think of all the players who get described as being part of the spine, he may be one of the easiest, if one can call replacing a player like him easy, to replace.

If Masch goes, I think we can get a replacement, tweak our system slightly in midfield and still challenge for the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Alonso no plans to leave.

http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2009/06/20/Prem-Alonso-on-future/gnid-57717/

Amid the constant uncertainty surrounding his future at Liverpool, Xabi Alonso has stated he does not want to leave the club.

Alonso has been linked with a move to Real Madrid this summer as his place in Rafa Benitez’s squad continues to lack an assuredness.

However, Spain international Alonso has said that while he admits he does not know how the off-season transfer market will pan out, he fully intends to remain at Anfield and revel in his status as a senior player.

“I am happy at Liverpool but in football you cannot close the doors on anything because you don't know what will happen. I do not plan to go,” Alonso told El Pais. “With Sami Hyypia already gone, I am one of the senior players alongside Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard.

“There was strong interest in me from Madrid (in 2004) but Liverpool came and that is where I went. It was not a wrong decision, not for me anyway. I have played at Liverpool, a special club, and grown as a player and won titles.”

Rumours of an uneasy relationship between Alonso and Benitez – who was prepared to sell the midfielder last summer – are not true, says the 27-year-old.

“Each one has his own point of view. He is the manager and I try to do the best with what he tells me,” said Alonso. “We have a good professional relationship. We speak normally, saying what he wants from me and what I can give. He makes the decisions and we try to execute them.

“Last summer there was certain indecision and I did not know what was going to happen. I finished up playing well, though. I have had two quite complete seasons.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh God let that be true! I love you Xabi!

I'm sorry for that :o (how desperate do I sound!?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

once again, there is no reason to believe xabi is going anywhere.

anything reported to the contrary has been proven to be taking things he's said out of context (i.e. that interview at the Confederations Cup).

i'm still confident he'll be here next season; very confident.

Masch and his missus, i ain't so sure about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

PHB wrote: »
    Mascherano has no great attachment to Liverpool.
    That's probably true alright but he is known to be extremely grateful to Rafa for effectively rescuing his career and is very loyal to him as a result. I know that's no where near the same as if Liverpool were his club but it'll probably still count for something with him when he's making his decision.
    Personally, I think it'd be kinda weird if he just ignored his wifes wishes.
    Personally I think it perfectly normal - I do it regularly.

Great to see the statement from Xabi at last. Hopefully that'll put an end to some of the speculation

EDIT: Looks like Gillet has sold the Canadiens so one of that pair has freed up a few quid for themselves:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4274642
    IIRC the Molson family already own approx 20% of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

zing wrote: »
    That's probably true alright but he is known to be extremely grateful to Rafa for effectively rescuing his career and is very loyal to him as a result. I know that's no where near the same as if Liverpool were his club but it'll probably still count for something with him when he's making his decision.

and Rafa let Masch off to play in the olympics when he really didnt have to. Pity we sold Momo, I wouldnt be so worried if Masch left then, but to lose 2 of the best midfield in the world would be downright foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Kess73 wrote: »
    I don't buy that. Masch is top class, but I think of all the players who get described as being part of the spine, he may be one of the easiest, if one can call replacing a player like him easy, to replace.

If Masch goes, I think we can get a replacement, tweak our system slightly in midfield and still challenge for the title.

I am not sure about that, look at how Chelsea struggled without Essien and I rate Masch higher than Essien in that position

I really think Masch is underratted by a lot of people, he covers so much ground with so much speed and breacks up so many attacks, he is the sole reason that Alonso, Gerrard and our attacking players can do what they do and why our defensive record is so good

If we lose Masch I think we will struggle no matter who we replace him with

*Edit: Great goal by Villa, it aint going to happen but I would love to see him at Anfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Pimpey wrote: »
    I am not sure about that, look at how Chelsea struggled without Essien and I rate Masch higher than Essien in that position

I really think Masch is underratted by a lot of people, he covers so much ground with so much speed and breacks up so many attacks, he is the sole reason that Alonso, Gerrard and our attacking players can do what they do and why our defensive record is so good

If we lose Masch I think we will struggle no matter who we replace him with

*Edit: Great goal by Villa, it aint going to happen but I would love to see him at Anfield

I agree Mascherano is playing in that position that people seem to not take notice of. He does his job ( a very important one at that ) gets the ball and passes it on.

Makelele was always a bit overlooked and he was so important. Its the same with mascherano.

Torres,Gerrard,Alonso,Mascherano and Reina are the 5 most important players in the team imo.

30 million plus or forget it.

How many of you would take selling masch to Barca for 30 million and in turn we buy Villa for say 40 million?

As much as I like Villa and would love him at the club id nearly opt for keeping mascherano. Its a close one though as we would have to replace mascherano and that would be tougher than some people think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Essien is not like Mascherano. :confused:
    Mikel does that job for Chelsea.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Essien is not like Mascherano. :confused:
    Mikel does that job for Chelsea.

Essien used to do it for Chelsea and when he got injured Mikel took over and Chelsea weren't as good a team

Essien is more versatile than Masch though and is a better attacking player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Pimpey wrote: »
    Essien used to do it for Chelsea and when he got injured Mikel took over and Chelsea weren't as good a team

Essien is more versatile than Masch though and is a better attacking player

Mikel took over from Makelele. He's a constant in the team now or was anyway.

Good to see Riera get a full game and play well.

JPA wrote: »
    Mikel took over from Makelele. He's a constant in the team now or was anyway.

I thought Essien took over from Makelele and Mikel from Essien when he got injured, I could of course be wrong on this

However bottom line IMO is that we can't afford to lose masch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

mike65 wrote: »
    Good to see Riera get a full game and play well.
    Definately. Pleasing to see so many Liverpool players in that squad, it's a compliment to how our squad has improved and kudos to Rafa for developing Riera and co. into Spanish team material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

joe123 wrote: »
    I agree Mascherano is playing in that position that people seem to not take notice of. He does his job ( a very important one at that ) gets the ball and passes it on.

Makelele was always a bit overlooked and he was so important. Its the same with mascherano.

It was the same with Hamann during our treble season.

Important role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PiE wrote: »
    If Masch leaves we can say goodbye to any genuine title ambitions next year, regardless of who comes in to replace him.

I disagree totally.

George Gillette has reportadly sold his ice hockey team for well over $500m.

Not sure what that means for us, figured it should be mentioned here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

joe123 wrote: »

Torres,Gerrard,Alonso,Mascherano and Reina are the 5 most important players in the team imo.

30 million plus or forget it.

How many of you would take selling masch to Barca for 30 million and in turn we buy Villa for say 40 million?

As much as I like Villa and would love him at the club id nearly opt for keeping mascherano. Its a close one though as we would have to replace mascherano and that would be tougher than some people think.

Im keeping Masch everytime , imo i think spending 40m on David Villa would be foolish , we were the top scorers in the premier league last season & i think the arrival of Villa would mean a change of system to incorporate both him & Torres as neither will be happy starting games on the bench .

This would hinder us as it would push Gerrard back to the centre mid spot so his explosiveness would be under utilised . As appealing as a strike partnership of Villa & Torres looks on paper , i would still prefer the Gerrard/Torres partnership .

We are almost the finished article & i think strengthening up the right side of our defense ( Johnson ) & a back up striker ( Negredo? ) should be our priority.

If we were to lose Masch , id like to see Lucas get a run & see how he fairs out . If he doesnt perhaps a bid for Lorik Cana wouldnt go astray. Tough tackling , no nonsense Def midfielder . I think he would be well suited to the premier league if he channels his aggression sensibly

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Hoki wrote: »
    Im keeping Masch everytime , imo i think spending 40m on David Villa would be foolish , we were the top scorers in the premier league last season & i think the arrival of Villa would mean a change of system to incorporate both him & Torres as neither will be happy starting games on the bench .

This would hinder us as it would push Gerrard back to the centre mid spot so his explosiveness would be under utilised . As appealing as a strike partnership of Villa & Torres looks on paper , i would still prefer the Gerrard/Torres partnership .

We are almost the finished article & i think strengthening up the right side of our defense ( Johnson ) & a back up striker ( Negredo? ) should be our priority.

If we were to lose Masch , id like to see Lucas get a run & see how he fairs out . If he doesnt perhaps a bid for Lorik Cana wouldnt go astray. Tough tackling , no nonsense Def midfielder . I think he would be well suited to the premier league if he channels his aggression sensibly

Agree with everything you say here apart from Lucas getting a run if we loose Masch. Don't get me wrong, he has potential and has definately improved as the season progressed; however I don't think he is near the class of Masch...yet....not many are I know but if we loose him we without a doubt need to try and replace him....not even going to speculate as to who Rafa would try and replace him with as it will not be easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

The NOTW are saying Chelsea are preparing a £50 m bid for Torres...where do these guys get these ideas....sounds a bit like, 'ok he said he would never join Man Utd but he didn't say anything about Chelsea so perhaps they are going to put in a bid'....nothing to see here! The Mirror are also saying Chelsea are interested in signing Alonso...more rubbish IMO...if he goes, he will go to Spain.

On a worring note however; the Sunday Times say that Madrid have joined the race to sign Masch...well I wouldn't call it a race just yet but I'm very fearfull :(

Sunday Times said it was 60! Pick a number, any number! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Would not sell for less than 80m :)

And then it would be with a clause that he only plays one in 3.

More giggles, from Setanta http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2009/06/21/Prem-Pellegrino-on-Mascherano/gnid-57747/
    Anything is possible for Barcelona target Javier Mascherano, Liverpool coach Mauricio Pellegrino has claimed.

Barca are believed to have launched a £18 million bid to secure the services of Argentina international Mascherano.

The Reds powerhouse recently admitted he would be attracted by the chance of playing for the Spanish and European champions.

Pellegrini has underlined that the midfielder is a key player for Rafa Benitez, but he has refused to deny that Mascherano could join the Blaugranas this summer.

Barca chief Joan Laporta has announced that he aims to sign up to four top class players this summer.

“Every time negotiations are underway, money always makes the decision,” Pellegrino told sport.es.

“Anyway, Mascherano is such an important player for us, like other ones can be for Barca.

“I do not want to say anything about it because we already know that in football’s world, nothing is impossible.”

Okay figure what all that actually means ;)'

More giggles, from Setanta http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2009/06/21/Prem-Pellegrino-on-Mascherano/gnid-57747/

Okay figure what all that actually means ;)'

Player exchange Mascherano for Messi. Obviously.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I dread every summer cause of all of this crap, but this year it seems much worse than usual.

I suppose that now that Rafa's position is secure, and his tactics have led to a genuine title challenge, playing beautiful football, the hacks needed something else to really focus in on.

First off it was the money, but with the yanks generating funds, and the fact that we're bidding £17,000,000 for a right back, that's gone out the window.

Because Rafa keeps his transfer targets really close to his chest (partially to keep the price down, and also as he learned his lesson after mentioning Keane's name last summer), the media seems to have no real clue who we're going for.

So rather than actually doing some journalism, they're just making up sensational headlines, to sell papers.

If you read the the Mirror story about Xabi Alonso, it gives three bits of "proof" of Chelsea's interest.

1) Ancelotti thinks Xabi is a good player.

Wow!
    Who doesn't?!

2) The Chelsea midfield is old.

So any player younger than Lamps and Ballack are targets then.:rolleyes:

3) Xabi can speak English.

I mean............come the fu€k on!!!

I haven't read the NOTW story, as obviously I wouldn't piss on that rag, but I'm assuming it's the same.

I honestly believe, all these hacks should be sued for slander, for misuse of the word journalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

so are all these rumours - I read in TST that Alonso, Torres and Mascherano could well be sold - foundationless?

I honestly believe, all these hacks should be sued for slander, for misuse of the word journalist.

Its silly season, but some of it this year is just ridiculous.

Shows how far weve progressed when we have players constantly linked with big money moves to other big clubs however annoying it is.

Gone are the days of Traore and Baros. Thank Rafa.

so are all these rumours - I read in TST that Alonso, Torres and Mascherano could well be sold - foundationless?

absolutely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Don't know if anyone saw this...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/5578084/Xabi-Alonso-warns-that-tax-will-drive-top-players-away.html

Hope this isn't playing on Xabi's mind re: the potential move to Madrid.

As to people saying that we will not challenge for the League without Masch, I think we can still do it. If we lose Xabi, on the other hand I will not be confident. He made us tick last year. He's at the centre of us controlling/dominating games. If he goes I think he is perhaps only replaceable by Gerrard dropping deeper into a playmaker role, and buying a new free role/second striker player. But obviously this is not ideal as I wouldn't like to see Torres/Gerrard combo broken up...

Morzadec wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone saw this...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/5578084/Xabi-Alonso-warns-that-tax-will-drive-top-players-away.html

Hope this isn't playing on Xabi's mind re: the potential move to Madrid.

As to people saying that we will not challenge for the League without Masch, I think we can still do it. If we lose Xabi, on the other hand I will not be confident. He made us tick last year. He's at the centre of us controlling/dominating games. If he goes I think he is perhaps only replaceable by Gerrard dropping deeper into a playmaker role, and buying a new free role/second striker player. But obviously this is not ideal as I wouldn't like to see Torres/Gerrard combo broken up...

Alonso is only stating the obious in the article, not moaning about anything.

He has already said he doesn't wanna leave. The club have said they don't wanna sell him. Its all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Mr Alan wrote: »
    absolutely.

Could you elaborate? (not being smart / trying to stir here btw) I find it hard to believe that Torres would leave, but Xabi and Masch I'm not so sure. If the price was right...

EDIT: just read your above post

Could you elaborate? (not being smart / trying to stir here btw) I find it hard to believe that Torres would leave, but Xabi and Masch I'm not so sure. If the price was right...

EDIT: just read your above post

Masch is the main worry.
    His wife is complaining basically.

We don't want to sell, and despite the crap in the media, we don't have to sell.

Torres came out and said he would never leave, unless he was forced out.
    Alonso came out and said that while nothing is certain in football, he doesn't want to leave.

Masch has been ominously quiet, but as he has 3 years left on his contract, it would take a massive bid for him to leave.

(Xabi also has 3 years on his, and Nando 4 on his IIRC)

Not even slightly worried about Torres to be honest, especially considering the teams he's been linked to. I mean its just ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Morzadec wrote: »
    Not even slightly worried about Torres to be honest, especially considering the teams he's been linked to. I mean its just ridiculous.

dont think alonso is going anywhere either. I am a bit worried about masc though. I would love if he came out now and committed publicly to the club, put an end to these rumours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

zing wrote: »
    Personally I think it perfectly normal - I do it regularly.

While she's pregnant, in a discussion about something as big as where your child is going to grow up?!

Would love to be a fly on the wall to see how that goes for ya! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

When a player comes out and says that he would only leave his boyhood club for Liverpool and that he love the fans then there really is no need to even think that Torres will even consider leaving. He has also just signed an improved contract and said going for a little more money is being greedy and that's not who he is.

Xabi has now stated that while nothing in football is guaranteed, he does not want to leave.

Masch is the problem. While I don't think he will leave, being touted to Barça by his agent doesn't help, and while there's blood in the water of possibly leaving Liverpool, the sharks in Madrid will get interested.

What we fans need is for a player to come out, like Torres, and say there is no way I'm leaving Liverpool.

The transfer window isn't even officially open so it looks like two more months of "we don't want him to leave" and "he is not for sale". And unless the two above sign new contracts, it will be a long summer. Bring on September 1st when the madness stops. Hopefully....

Groundhog day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

June 2008

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/2303306/Chelsea-to-target-Liverpools-Fernando-Torres-with-record-40-million-bid.html

June 2009

http://blog.taragana.com/sports/2009/06/21/chelsea-to-launch-50-million-pound-bid-for-torres-5489/

I wonder will it be £60,000,000 next June?

Anyway, I think Nando should just copy and paste his response from last year.
    This is my team, my city and Anfield is my pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8111715.stm

Liverpool co-owner George Gillett is to sell one of his major assets in a deal which could ease financial pressures at the Premier League club.

He is selling his stake in the NHL's Montreal Canadiens in a deal reported to be worth at least $550m (£332.9m).

Mr Gillett, and fellow Liverpool owner Tom Hicks, have until 24 July to repay £350m they owe to RBS and Wachovia.

Latest accounts show Kop Holdings, the parent company of the Anfield club, lost £42.6m in the year to August 2008.

Interest payments on loans accounted for £36.5m of Kop's losses.

Other assets

Mr Gillett put the Canadiens up for sale earlier this year, and the deal includes his 80% stake in the team, the Bell Centre arena, and the Gillett Entertainment Group.

They are being bought by brewing giants, the Molson family, who already own the remaining 20% share.

Mr Hicks has also been looking to sell off elements of his own sporting empire - which include Major League Baseball's Texas Rangers and the NHL's Dallas Stars.

The pair bought Liverpool in February 2007 and since then have squabbled with each other, alienated some fans, failed to progress with a promised new stadium, and seen potential sales of the club fall away.

There have been many questions surrounding the future of the £350m loans, after the repayment deadline was extended for six months this January.

Liverpool were put on the market last year with a reported asking price of about £500m, but no sale was finalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The Dossinator has started for italy against Brazil. Hopefully he puts in a good performance to wow all the perspective buyers out there.

• Advertisement

Dossinator, Voroninator LFC should be invading hostile fantasy worlds not playing football!

Dossinator, Voroninator LFC should be invading hostile fantasy worlds not playing football!

those guys are probably more suited to your suggestion anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mcowhey

i for one think its fantastic news about gillett selling the hockey team. wonder will rafa see any money come his way

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The Dossinator has started for italy against Brazil. Hopefully he puts in a good performance to wow all the perspective buyers out there.

as i was just reading this he went and scored an O.G.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

...and he scores an OG :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Very unfortunate.. if he missed the ball Brazil would probably have scored anyway.

He's actually having a decent enough game all things concerned...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

Liverpool have completed the signing of 15-year-old Jesus Joaquin Fernandez from Cadiz, according to one Spanish newspaper. The Reds are said to have beaten off competition from Barcelona, Real Madrid, Sevilla and Villarreal for the midfielder's services.
    After a significant amount of time negotiating the deal the player's family have finally accepted Liverpool's offer.
    Cadiz, currently in Spain's second division, are also said to be happy with the transfer after they were handsomely rewarded in terms of compensation.
    The youngster is thought to have signed a five-year contract on Merseyside, according to the newspaper Diario de Cadiz.
    The teenage sensation is a left-footed player and is thought to possess an innate footballing brain.

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Hephaestus wrote: »

Interesting news all right. We've beaten a number of big clubs in signing promising youngsters.

Bruna :confused: was the last one wasn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Dela Valle was the last I think.. Chelsea in particular were giving double what were were iirc.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement