Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

spockety wrote: »
    While she's pregnant, in a discussion about something as big as where your child is going to grow up?!

Would love to be a fly on the wall to see how that goes for ya! :D
    Actually I kinda have been there although she'd just had the kid - she wanted to move to other side of country - I didn't particularly so we didn't move. But the remark was kinda tongue in cheek although I'm sure you knew that.

In other news - some sheikh has reportedly bought 60% of *some* premier league club.
    Ahmed acquires 60% of a leading English football club
    2009-06-21 20:30:42
    WAM Ras Al Khaimah, 21st June 2009 (WAM) -- Sheikh Ahmed bin Saqr Al Qasimi, Chairman of the Ras Al Khaimah Department of Customs and Seaports, has acquired 60 per cent of a leading English club of premier league Sheikh Ahmed will be the honorary chairman of the club.
    More details about the deal will be announced at a press conference to be held within the few coming days.
    http://www.wam.ae/servlet/Satellite?c=WamLocEnews&cid=1241073033816&pagename=WAM%2FWAM_E_Layout&parent=Collection&parentid=1135099399983
    Possibly the 1st step in the Pompey takeover ? There's enough clubs up for sale atm though to choose between - prob about a 1 in 10 chance of it being us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

zing wrote: »
    Actually I kinda have been there although she'd just had the kid - she wanted to move to other side of country - I didn't particularly so we didn't move. But the remark was kinda tongue in cheek although I'm sure you knew that.

In other news - some sheikh has reportedly bought 60% of *some* premier league club.

http://www.wam.ae/servlet/Satellite?c=WamLocEnews&cid=1241073033816&pagename=WAM%2FWAM_E_Layout&parent=Collection&parentid=1135099399983
    Possibly the 1st step in the Pompey takeover ? There's enough clubs up for sale atm though to choose between - prob about a 1 in 10 chance of it being us.

Do you reckon Gillett selling his hockey team makes it more or less likely that it's us?

I've no idea but if it is us then no one seems to know anything about it as of yet. No supposed ITKs claiming inside knowledge, etc.. No reports of someone conducting due dililgence, etc..

Suspect it's not us.

Just noticed there's a sep thread on it so may be best to keep it out of here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

For Liverpool to be the club they would have had to buy out one of Gillet & Hicks and buy 10% off the other. Or 30% off each. Just cant see that being the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Liverpool have completed the signing of 15-year-old Jesus Joaquin Fernandez from Cadiz, according to one Spanish newspaper. The Reds are said to have beaten off competition from Barcelona, Real Madrid, Sevilla and Villarreal for the midfielder's services.
    After a significant amount of time negotiating the deal the player's family have finally accepted Liverpool's offer.
    Cadiz, currently in Spain's second division, are also said to be happy with the transfer after they were handsomely rewarded in terms of compensation.
    The youngster is thought to have signed a five-year contract on Merseyside, according to the newspaper Diario de Cadiz.
    The teenage sensation is a left-footed player and is thought to possess an innate footballing brain.

High price to pay, hope he's worth it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Gotta love it.

Bruna is 18, and he's been written off!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Gotta love it.

He is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Gotta love it.

i think you misunderstood missingtimes post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Morzadec wrote: »
    Do you reckon Gillett selling his hockey team makes it more or less likely that it's us?

TBH I don't think him selling the Hockey team would make it us or not. He got aroung $550m for the team (supposedly) - not enough to even pay off the £350m loan.....

Unless he saw L FC as being a reallly potential bread winner, he'd hardly sell an entire team just to finance a loan for another...

His sale of that team doesn't release any more cash for Rafa to spend, unless another loan is sought.

• Advertisement

TBH I don't think him selling the Hockey team would make it us or not. He got aroung $550m for the team (supposedly) - not enough to even pay off the £350m loan.....

Unless he saw L FC as being a reallly potential bread winner, he'd hardly sell an entire team just to finance a loan for another...

His sale of that team doesn't release any more cash for Rafa to spend, unless another loan is sought.

He only owns half of the club so he would easily pay off his share of the debt.. Considering Hicks is trying to sell off a few of his teams also, I think it is fair to assume that it is being done with Liverpool FC in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

He only owns half of the club so he would easily pay off his share of the debt.. Considering Hicks is trying to sell off a few of his teams also, I think it is fair to assume that it is being done with Liverpool FC in mind.

Let me fix your quote for you:
    I think it is fair to assume that it is being done with the loan in mind.

Its the interest payments thats killing them, paying off their loan is priority 1, L FC may well be second on their list, i.e what to do with it sell / invest.

Maybe so, but Bruna hasn't been well recieved here in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

wcarey1975 wrote: »

only a temporary appointment, but still, sounds good. Lots of business experience, long time season ticket holder, fluent in spanish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Lots of business experience, long time season ticket holder, fluent in spanish.

A nod to the owners, a nod to the fans, and a nod to the gaffer.

;)

Can't lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Yeah temporary but at least it some solid news. Something positive at the least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Lets not get too excited about gillet selling his hockey team.Didnt he default on his loan for them and thats what he is sorting out?
    Also he is part owner of a Nascar team also thats losing money.His team Petty Motorsports its associated with Dodge who can no longer afford to be pumping big money into Nascar

The wall street journal and new york times have both written pieces about Hicks defaulting on his loans ans that he could lose both franchises.He claims its a negotiating tactic:rolleyes:but the NHL has secured the Stars for at least 6 months and if no money arrives from Hicks before then,they could be forced to sell.Over 40 financial institutions are owed 525m dollars by Hicks sports group.Hicks is trying to sell shares in both his teams to refinance.

Somehow i dont see much money from any sales or part of being forthcoming to Liverpool fc

raven136 wrote: »
    Lets not get too excited about gillet selling his hockey team.Didnt he default on his loan for them and thats what he is sorting out?
    Also he is part owner of a Nascar team also thats losing money.His team Petty Motorsports its associated with Dodge who can no longer afford to be pumping big money into Nascar

The wall street journal and new york times have both written pieces about Hicks defaulting on his loans ans that he could lose both franchises.He claims its a negotiating tactic:rolleyes:but the NHL has secured the Stars for at least 6 months and if no money arrives from Hicks before then,they could be forced to sell.Over 40 financial institutions are owed 525m dollars by Hicks sports group.Hicks is trying to sell shares in both his teams to refinance.

Somehow i dont see much money from any sales or part of being forthcoming to Liverpool fc

Gillete owed 80% of he Canadiens.
    He had loans on 20-25%.
    Which means that of the $550,000,000, he takes home about $350-400,000,000.

The Canediens were only part of the deal, as Gilette was sole owner of the Bell center, and that wa sold also.
    Lets just say, Gilette isn't short on a few quid right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

he made about 180m profit off the deal for the canadiens, not bad really!

Not sure about this new appointment being temporary - I think they've created a new MD role and are still searching for a CEO and for the time being he'll do both. At least he speaks spanish so should fit right in ;)

It might also go someways to explaining the sudden resignation of Moores from the board.

• Advertisement

Leto off to Panathinaikos by the looks of it:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_5395412,00.html

Pity we never really got to see much of him. iirc he only made a handful of appearences for the 1st team and it's not always fair to judge a youngster on a few games - esp when they've just moved continent/had to try adapt to a diff style of play, etc..

Good luck to him wherever he ends up

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Angry Liverpool fans attacked three RBS branches in the early hours of this morning in protest against refinancing of a loan taken out by the club's American owners.

The doors of the city's flagship Royal Bank of Scotland branch on Dale Street were padlocked resulting in chaos as bank employees arrived for work.

Supporters who are becoming increasingly concerned for Liverpool FC's future, are now turning their attention towards the bank which controls loans for the club's American owners.

Branches in Hunts Cross and Crobsy were targeted simultaneously in the early hours.

Posters reading 'No to refinancing' were plastered across the buildings and have been attributed to a renegade group of supporters.

A group of MPs joined the protest last week lobbying the Government, who have become majority Shareholders in RBS, to step in.

Walton MP Peter Kilfoyle tabled an Early Day Motion calling on the Government to 'ensure the Royal Bank of Scotland does not renew their credit facility at the end of its current term.'

US businessmen George Gillett and Tom Hicks have endured a backlash of ill feeling since taking control of Anfield in February 2007.

Despite assuring fans that they wouldn't burden the club with any debt - they secured a £350m loan against the club, which is due for refinancing at the end of July.

LFC fans unhappy about the debt and failure to begin work on a promised new stadium have called on RBS to cut their ties, effectively forcing the American duo to sell up.

The Spirit of Shankly fans' group, who have been most outspoken towards the owners, denied any knowledge of the attacks and called for a more 'diplomatic approach.'

Representative James McKenna said: "Whilst we are vocal against the refinancing of the club's loan - we are encouraging our members to take a more diplomatic and sensible approach."

The Royal Bank of Scotland were unavailable for comment

http://www.clickliverpool.com/news/n...pool-fans.html

padlocks & posters - how terribly rebellious of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

lol at the word "attacked" in the headline :rolleyes:

Mr Alan wrote: »

Its a bit sensational alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Just the publicity the club needs....again.

Given the way the media loves to report on the "problems" at LFC, I think this so called protest is a joke. RBS are just the bank that gave the owners their loan and refinance deals. But there is another side that all those who simply want the owners out seem to miss. If the owners cock up and really default badly on those loans, the bank can seize assets and sell to make back money.

It is not very likely, but it is possible. Leeds showed how a club can plummet when managed by clowns.

Mr Alan wrote: »

Sure I attacked my front door when I locked it last night.

And when I was a kid I used to attack my bedroom wall with posters all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think its quite a clever tactic by some fans to be honest.

If you want Gill and Hicks gone, you need them to drop their prices. It's been made clear again and again that their are plenty of buyers out there, its just price thats the issue. G&H want to make money.

If the banks don't refinance, G&H will get to a situation where they may have no choice but to sell. They lower their prices, and badabing-badaboom, new owners, new stadium, more money for players etc.

There's no real chance of the bank asset stripping Liverpool F.C., as A., it would ruin Labour politically, B. they can make more money selling it on.

PHB wrote: »
    There's no real chance of the bank asset stripping Liverpool F.C., as A., it would ruin Labour politically, B. they can make more money selling it on.

I agree.The main worry is if Laurel & Hardy default on there loan,one of the options then is going into administration only temporary but I think this means starting the season with a 10/20 point deduction.

This is a worst case scenario but still a possibility.

I have to say, padlocking the banks really is a genius non-violent method of protest, fair play to whoever came up with that idea. Whether you agree with them or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

PHB wrote: »
    I think its quite a clever tactic by some fans to be honest.

If you want Gill and Hicks gone, you need them to drop their prices. It's been made clear again and again that their are plenty of buyers out there, its just price thats the issue. G&H want to make money.

If the banks don't refinance, G&H will get to a situation where they may have no choice but to sell. They lower their prices, and badabing-badaboom, new owners, new stadium, more money for players etc.

Dont think Labour need the banks stripping liverpool to ruin themselves politically,they managed to do that so far fairly easily on their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have to say, padlocking the banks really is a genius non-violent method of protest, fair play to whoever came up with that idea. Whether you agree with them or not.

Sarcasm?

Sarcasm?

No, I'm serious.

Having seen the headline I thought I was going to be reading something about petrol bombs or graffiti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No, I'm serious.

Having seen the headline I thought I was going to be reading something about petrol bombs or graffiti.

Its not really genius to come up with the idea though - people have been protesting by locking places for years and years and years.

i'll grant it is a lot smarter to actually do it that way than the "trash anything that looks shiny" stuff we have seen in the past (from United fans re. the Glazer takeover too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sebastian Leto near completion of deal with Panathinaikos, looks like about 3 million. Olympiakos passed on the chance.

edit

£3,000,000 is a lot.

Makes me think that Rafa was obviously right in him, and that it's a pity he never got the Argie/I-tie thing sorted.

mike65 wrote: »
    Sebastian Leto near completion of deal with Panathinaikos, looks like about 3 million. Olympiakos passed on the chance.

edit
    That's like so 12 posts ago mike :P

3 mill would be pretty decent really

:o This thread moves too fast even on a slow day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

wcarey1975 wrote: »

I thought it was Alan Hansen for a second whne I opened it and saw the pic.:)

Not a day goes by without talk of Alonso, Mascherano, or Torres leaving Liverpool this summer.

Oh, wait. It does. Today. :D

So far so good ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

edit
    £3,000,000 is a lot.

Makes me think that Rafa was obviously right in him, and that it's a pity he never got the Argie/I-tie thing sorted.

Got a link for the £3m ?

I think this would be a very good price, considering he cost £1.85m.

Nice amount of money to add to the transfer budget without weakening the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Johnson deal is apparently done, Arbeloa going seems inevitable now.

MementoMori

Nope sorry. Prolly be 1 million to make me look like an idiot

/cues up joke nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-sign-teenage-striker-king-1713897.html

Another youngster.
    Liverpool have completed the capture of teenage striker Aaron King from Rushden and Diamonds.

King, 16, impressed during a recent trial period with the Anfield giants and has now signed a two-year scholarship agreement.

"We are all absolutely thrilled for Aaron - this is a brilliant achievement for everyone involved in his development throughout the five years that he has been with us," Rushden's head of youth development Paul Driver told the club's official website, www.thediamondsfc.com.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

its johnson.

FACT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭mada999

please don't let it be michael owen :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Its definately Aguero. Definately.

Could be someone taking a 60% stake in the club ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement