Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Johnson or that LFC have accepted cash offers for Torres, Masch and Alonso to the value of 180 million euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Gottz to be GJ

or Silva????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

mike65 wrote: »
    Johnson or that LFC have accepted cash offers for Torres, Masch and Alonso to the value of 180 million euro.

each? still not enough for them!

Could be someone taking a 60% stake in the club ;)

Would love it but hardly a transfer is it?:o

Transfer of funds? Anyway we don't know what it is yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

More Johnson!

peep_show_s4_ep2_johnson2_400x251.jpg

mike65 wrote: »
    Transfer of funds? Anyway we don't know what it is yet.

impressive straw clutching:D:D

Bet twitter falls over in a few seconds

REDS AGREE JOHNSON DEAL
    Paul Eaton 22 June 2009
    Liverpool FC confirmed this evening that they had reached an agreement with Portsmouth Football Club and with Glen Johnson for the transfer of the player to Anfield.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164842090622-1758.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Twas Glen Johnson in the end anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Villa? Its villa isnt it? Weve just signed villa. Class.

Yay! er I mean grand, lets hope it all works out.

Yeay!!

Welcome to the team Johnson!

At least he didn't sneak off to chelsea at the last minute.

Hurrah !!!

I'm still ambivalent on the price and a lot depends on whether Arbeloa stays or goes ( I think he's most likely off) but for the moment, I'm pleased we have signed someone.

Anyway welcome Glen best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

No mention of cost on the website anyway, hopefully no more then 12 or 13mill base price, with bonus's based on us winning all and sundry.

As an addition, its a good one. It strengthens the team and adds an extra attacking dimension.

Good stuff, now bring in Suarez, hang onto the 2 lads in midfield and i'll be a happy camper.

Incidentally I reckon behind the scenes that Arby was gonna be off regardless, from his comments he didn't sound like he had any intentions of signing a new deal, so we're better off going for the best thats available to replace him, especially when Arby himself should be bringing in about 8mill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Welcome Glen.

Glad to see you backed a winner.:cool:

Weirdly, while in previous summers this would have been a 'banner' signing at the price, for me Johnsons arrival feels like the hors d'oeuvres....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Very happy with that signing. Very happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Good addition to the squad. Hopefully he continues his good form he has shown for the past few months.

• Advertisement

I said at the start of the summer that I would love if we signed Johnson. Suprised at how high the transfer was but its a good buy and hel be a perfect right back to have playing behind Kuyt.

And especially against those teams that park the bus.

It will be very interesting to see who Rafa has lined up next and it will give a clear indication of how much we have left to spend.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Incidentally I reckon behind the scenes that Arby was gonna be off regardless, from his comments he didn't sound like he had any intentions of signing a new deal, so we're better off going for the best thats available to replace him, especially when Arby himself should be bringing in about 8mill

Good point. Really cant see Arbeloa staying.:(
    Hopefully we get a good price for him.
    If we could get Richards as cover for RB and 4th choice CB for £5m that would be a great deal and we would be completely sorted with the defensive side of things (assuming Dossena sale as well)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

Fantastic signing!

Good point. Really cant see Arbeloa staying.:(
    Hopefully we get a good price for him.
    If we could get Richards as cover for RB and 4th choice CB for £5m that would be a great deal and we would be completely sorted with the defensive side of things (assuming Dossena sale as well)

Arbeloa is linked with an 8 million pound move to Madrid. Apparently hes homesick.

Dont know why this richards for 5 million thing is still sticking. It orginated from News of the world. Theres no truth in it.

joe123 wrote: »
    Dont know why this richards for 5 million thing is still sticking. It orginated from News of the world. Theres no truth in it.

Crap - didn't realise that was the source. Did sound too good of a deal to be true. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Great signing, now all we need is someone to help out Gerrard or Torres when either or both are out of action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Another Signing :)

Liverpool have signed youngster Aaron King from Rushden & Diamonds.

The 16-year-old has won a move to Anfield after impressing during a trial period at the Premier League titans.

The young striker has agreed a two-year scholarship deal at Anfield and will continue his education at the club.

Rushden's head of youth development Paul Driver admitted the deal was a big achievement for the club.

"We are all absolutely thrilled for Aaron - this is a brilliant achievement for everyone involved in his development throughout the five years that he has been with us," Driver told the club's official website.

"His progress with us to get to the level where one of the 'Big 4 Clubs' is prepared to offer him a scholarship also serves as further evidence of how well we have maintained our system despite the withdrawal of financial support from the football authorities in the past two seasons".

~Marky~ wrote: »
    Another Signing :)

Liverpool have signed youngster Aaron King from Rushden & Diamonds.

The 16-year-old has won a move to Anfield after impressing during a trial period at the Premier League titans.

The young striker has agreed a two-year scholarship deal at Anfield and will continue his education at the club.

Rushden's head of youth development Paul Driver admitted the deal was a big achievement for the club.

"We are all absolutely thrilled for Aaron - this is a brilliant achievement for everyone involved in his development throughout the five years that he has been with us," Driver told the club's official website.

"His progress with us to get to the level where one of the 'Big 4 Clubs' is prepared to offer him a scholarship also serves as further evidence of how well we have maintained our system despite the withdrawal of financial support from the football authorities in the past two seasons".

Am I doing it right?

Need to give it more emphisis!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

well i'm happy enough that we got johnson. i suppose your expected to pay the premium for english talent these days... anyway i think himself and kuyt could be the perfect match..

tbh i hope arbeloa stays... it'd make rb a very strong position in the team compared to earlier in the year with skrtel and masch there!

if we don't have much left in the transfer kitty, i'd be quite happy to get a player of tuncays(if not tuncay) standard... i think tuncay would be a really useful addition to tthe squad unless of course we still have £20 for transfers

tok9 wrote: »
    well i'm happy enough that we got johnson. i suppose your expected to pay the premium for english talent these days... anyway i think himself and kuyt could be the perfect match..

tbh i hope arbeloa stays... it'd make rb a very strong position in the team compared to earlier in the year with skrtel and masch there!

if we don't have much left in the transfer kitty, i'd be quite happy to get a player of tuncays(if not tuncay) standard... i think tuncay would be a really useful addition to tthe squad unless of course we still have £20 for transfers

Cheeky bid for Augero's left big toe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

tok9 wrote: »

reports are saying arbeloa agent was spotted in Madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Headshot wrote: »
    reports are saying arbeloa agent was spotted in Madrid

Well considering that Arbeloa used to play for RM's youth & reserve teams I'd say there's a pretty good chance that his agent is either from or based in Madrid. ;)

and that he's also most likely the agent of lots of other spanish based players.

Having said that, with 1 year left on his contract, i expect him to be sold. Especially if Real are talking about a figure like 8mill, that would be massive for a chap with a year left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    and that he's also most likely the agent of lots of other spanish based players.

Having said that, with 1 year left on his contract, i expect him to be sold. Especially if Real are talking about a figure like 8mill, that would be massive for a chap with a year left.

Much as i like Arbeloa,he seems to want to return home,so give madrid 8m and him and get Robben for our left side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

All the talk of Mascherano leaving and who could possibly replace him, I'm just gonna throw a name at ye cos I haven't seen it on these pages and see what ye think...

Marek Hamsik of Napoli

He is a very talented Slovakian (Skrtel could help sell him the idea) midfielder whose position is similar to that of monster masch and is only 20 years old but is already a brilliant prospect.

He can also play in left midfield and left back, a cheaper (possibly) and younger alternative to G. Barry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

FM legend.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    All the talk of Mascherano leaving and who could possibly replace him, I'm just gonna throw a name at ye cos I haven't seen it on these pages and see what ye think...

Marek Hamsik of Napoli

He is a very talented Slovakian (Skrtel could help sell him the idea) midfielder whose position is similar to that of monster masch and is only 20 years old but is already a brilliant prospect.

He can also play in left midfield and left back, a cheaper (possibly) and younger alternative to G. Barry...

From what i'd read, Hamsik sounded a very attacking player, would he be able to take on Masch's role? Rafa was apparantly interested in him last year anyway, till Napoli said he wasn't for sale to anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Rebel, started playing FM for the first time in long time last night.

Bought your boyfriend Suarez. Legend. I'm convinced.

Rafa sign him up! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

raven136 wrote: »
    Much as i like Arbeloa,he seems to want to return home,so give madrid 8m and him and get Robben for our left side

No thanks IMO...take the 8 million and leave Robben where he is. He's a bit of a hatefull character and I would not like to see him at Liverpool...didn't like him at Chelsea and tbh I don't think he's they type of character Rafa would sign.

Delighted with the Johnson signing all the same...great combination on the right hand side. I was saying for a while that we needed a winger with a bit of pace who can whip crosses into the box but I think Johnson may solve that problem or us. He is definately not shy in coming forward and when he does we have one of the most hard working right sided midfielders in the premier league to drop slightly deeper.

Let's hope we can sign a decent support striker now and if we can do that AND manage to hold onto Masch and Alonso, it will have been a very successful summer.

In saying that, I feel Rafa has one more 'big name' signing left this summer. If we sell Arbeloa and Dossenna for the figures that are being reported, that recoups the majority of the Johnson fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I for one will be disapointed to see arbeloa go . He has been rock solid for Liverpool and is very underated (ask messi) if he was English he'd be worth 15-20 million .
    I am very sceptical of Johnson , people tend to over rate fullbacks who are good going forward as everyone here has eluded to him being an advantage going forward and not many pointing to his defending which after all is his primary role.
    Hope I'm wrong and he is a success

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

That Graham Hunter dude was on Newstalk this morning and he seems convinced Alonso & Arbeloa are on their way to Real. I think he said for somethin' in the region of €40m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

£34m for 2 of our best players? Havin' a larf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I think selling Alonso at 27 is crazy. Anyway I dont think theres any chance of him going to Real I'd say he's going to Barcelona if he's going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think selling Alonso at 27 is crazy. Anyway I dont think theres any chance of him going to Real I'd say he's going to Barcelona if he's going anywhere.

Barcelona don't need him though - so i doubt they are after him at all. If they were looking for a midfielder, I reckon Fabregas would be higher on their list than Alonso. Madrid, on the other hand, could do with a top CM. Don't see why you would say there is no chance of him going to Real, but Barca are a possibility.

It would be like a Liverpool Legend going to play for Manchester United, it just cant happen and its not in his genetic make-up.

Stranger things have happened, I will be devastated if he does go...anywhere.

It would be like a Liverpool Legend going to play for Manchester United, it just cant happen and its not in his genetic make-up.

Didn't realise there was that big a rivalry between Real Sociedad and Real Madrid, stem from Basque vs Spain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Hunter is usually on the money.If they have to go would prefer to see a higher figure for the 2 of them.Honestly i expect one of alonso or Masch to leave.30m euros for Alonso wouldnt be too bad.Be very disappointed to see him leave but looks like he wants to go no matter what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Just cause Xabi is Basque?

They're not all die hard Barca fans you know.
    There are other Basque teams.
    Xabi isn't even from Barca originaly.

And in Spain, players switch from rivals a hell of a lot more than they do in England (Figo for instance).
    Remember Rafa being shocked that Ferguson was so apposed to Heinze coming to Liverpool.

Just cause Xabi is Basque?

They're not all die hard Barca fans you know.
    There are other Basque teams.
    Xabi isn't even from Barca originaly.

And in Spain, players switch from rivals a hell of a lot more than they do in England (Figo for instance).
    Remember Rafa being shocked that Ferguson was so apposed to Heinze coming to Liverpool.

Are you mixing Basque and Catalan up, or is there actually a strong link between the two (I thought they were seperate). Just going form the Basque/Barcelona link you have.

• Advertisement

(Figo for instance).

Figo is from Portugal FFS, I think you've confused yourself. Do you think he should go to Real Sociedad!! Barca are the only "REAL" alternative.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement