Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Figo is from Portugal FFS, I think you've confused yourself. Do you think he should go to Real Sociedad!! Barca are the only "REAL" alternative.

Don't like Figo... how about Luis Enrique?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

make no mistake,if real come in officially he will go.Its a misnomer to say he wont because he is from the basque region.

raven136 wrote: »
    make no mistake,if real come in officially he will go.Its a misnomer to say he wont because he is from the basque region.

Indeed, would the fact he has no problem playing for Spain not be proof that his being from a Basque region will not dictate his football career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Are you mixing Basque and Catalan up, or is there actually a strong link between the two (I thought they were seperate). Just going form the Basque/Barcelona link you have.

Xabi is from Tolosa, which is a Basque city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

If Liverpool lose both Alonso and Mascherano it'll be like tearing the heart out of the team. There would be huge pressure on Benitez to replace them with sufficent quality. Marek Hamsik of Napoli has been mentioned here and is a good player but I'm not sure Liverpool could find adequate enough replacements for those two

• Advertisement

Figo is from Portugal FFS, I think you've confused yourself. Do you think he should go to Real Sociedad!! Barca are the only "REAL" alternative.

Figo went from Barca to Real (FFS:rolleyes:).

Simple.

Yeah, I know he is Basque, but I don't get why you have fixated on Barcelona so much in your previous post. Is it just because they are not spanish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Don't like Figo... how about Luis Enrique?

that was a once off!

slingerz wrote: »
    If Liverpool lose both Alonso and Mascherano it'll be like tearing the heart out of the team. There would be huge pressure on Benitez to replace them with sufficent quality. Marek Hamsik of Napoli has been mentioned here and is a good player but I'm not sure Liverpool could find adequate enough replacements for those two

Hamsik is good (could be great) but he wouldn't be a replacement for either Alonso or Mascherano - he isn't that type of midfielder imo. More like Lampard than Alonso from the little I have seen of him. Is he a CM like Alonso?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

But Barcelona is not a Basque city, it's Catalonian.

They are different.

• Advertisement

that was a once off! anymore name drops.

Spanish, no. A number of other players have played for both though. I don't get what the actual point is though.

Alonso has never played for Barcelona, is not from Barcelona and is not a Catalan - what does it matter whether few players have played for both clubs, Alonso has played for neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Also if Xabi was so unconditionally opposed to joining Real, he'd probably have been more vehement in his comments.

"*Spit*, Those scum eating sons of badgers?! NEVER!"

Yeah, I know he is Basque, but I don't get why you have fixated on Barcelona so much in your previous post. Is it just because they are not spanish?

I'm not fixated on Barca, HashSlinging is.

I'm simply stating that Xabi wouldn't choose Barca over Real for non footballing reasons, which is what was being suggested.

The only reason Barca was mentioned is becaise it was claimed he'd go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Sounds like the refinancing deal will be agreed.
    No real details on terms - just a new deal will be put in place.
    Liverpool close to bank debt deal

The club's owners are having to sell assets in the US
    Liverpool Football Club - which owes two banks £350m - is close to renegotiating its debt with the Royal Bank of Scotland, the BBC has learnt.

RBS has told club owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett the debt, due to be repayed in July, will be refinanced.

BBC business editor Robert Peston says RBS will insist on significant payments in the subsequent six months.

It comes as Portsmouth's defender Glen Johnson has agreed to join Liverpool in a £17.5m move.

"The good news for Liverpool FC supporters is that the club is not about to go bust," said Mr Peston.

Our correspondent added: "I understand that Royal Bank of Scotland has told its two billionaire owners, George Gillett and Tom Hicks, that their £350m debt - which falls due for repayment on 24 July and is owed to Royal Bank and Wachovia of the US - will be refinanced.

"A new lending agreement will be put on place."

A spokesman for the US pair would not comment on the development.

The other bank owed money, Wachovia, has yet to make any announcement.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8114377.stm

on an kinda Liveprool related topic....

Torres has joined Messi as the cover stars for PES2010.

http://winningelevenblog.com/blog/torres-confirmed-as-2nd-cover-star/

pes2010_torres2_sm-500x281.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Re Leto and his move to Greece, I have lifted this wholesale from RAWK ( :eek: )
    Since I listen to greek sports radio on a daily basis, the story is as follows:

1. As we know, Leto had gone to Olympiakos on a year long loan.

2. In January Olympiakos also got Matt Derbyshire from Blackburn on loan too, who went on to score 15 goals, most of them coming as a sub.

3. Olympiakos held talks with both Liverpool and Blackburn to sign both players. Initially Liverpool asked around 7mil euros for Leto.

4. Olympiakos was keen to sign him but not at that price. The Olympiakos supporters like him as a player but were concerned about his attitude (he had a number of falling out's with the previous manager) and his team work (he tends to keep the ball for far too long and goes missing from play frequently).

5. Olympiakos signed Matt Derbyshire, to the delight of the fans, followed by Melberg from Juventus, a player which their bitter rivals Panathinaikos had shown great interest.

6. It seems that Liverpool dropped its demands to around 3mil euros.

7. Suddenly, Leto went on record today to say that there is a 90% chance he will sign for Panathinaikos!!!!! Needless to say that after that, the Olympiakos fans do not want to know him...and I doubt Olympiakos will have an interest in him either.

8. Although Panathinaikos has formaly denied an interest in Leto, rumours have it that they do but prefer not to go public in fear that they will miss out on yet another of their targets (see Melberg).

9. If the rumours that Ninis is offered as an exchange are true, I would take that offer. Ninis is one of the most talented youngsters and Arsene Wenger has been scouting him for the past year, as well as teams from Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

this......

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_5390867,00.html

combined with.....

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archivedirs/mediawatch/2009/jun/MW14770090614-1837.htm

has me still thinking/hoping there is no truth in the Alonso stuff.

Mr Alan I'm sorry but those are 3 days old at least. June 20th means nothing on June 23rd. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Seems to be a few reports suggesting that Masch is unhappy as he feels he's undervalued at the club - earing a mere 25k or so per week (the poor chap) and is looking for parity with the senior players. And that he's using the Barca interest as a negotiating tool.

If it's true then fair enough - tripple his wages as he is worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Masch should be paid as much as he wants.

• Advertisement

Masch is on a lot more than £25,000 a week.
    Even with West Ham, he'd have been earning more than that.

He is on a good bit less than the top earners (Gerrard/Nando) however, and I do believe that money has a lot to do with it.

To be honest I'd say that's some of Xabi's problem too, along with him being unhappy about last summer.

I can see them both signing new deals this year (fingers crossed).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

tbh they are massively important senior players and so should be treated as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,744 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No way Masch is on 25 grand a week, 50+ I'd say, that said I'm sure he has been having a chat with Mr. Tevez who will be collecting 120,000 a week next month.

All this talk about wife not being happy, etc. At the end of the day it comes down to money.

Both could be angling for a new contract, although I think Alonso just wants out to be honest.

Boggles wrote: »
    I think Alonso just wants out to be honest.

Yep. Thats why he said he wants to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

I also read somewhere this morning (can' remember where) that Masch was on £30,000 a week, which I found very hard to believe. Can't think of any player nowadays that was bought for £18 million and was willing to accept £30,000 per week.

Maybe his wife might be a bit happier if the joint bank account receives a whopping £90,000 - £100,000 per week...deserves it IMO and if that's what the club has to do to keep him well then so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    tbh they are massively important senior players and so should be treated as such.

ya but at the same time we cant possible afford to have all our players on 100k+ per week.

At the moment we have Stevie Carra and Nando on that money.

I would say that Alonso and Masc are in the next wage bracket (50-70k).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mr Alan wrote: »

players say alot of stuff these days ;)

id say masch would be the one to worry about

Carra should take a cut and hand the difference to Masch.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

prendy wrote: »
    ya but at the same time we cant possible afford to have all our players on 100k+ per week.

At the moment we have Stevie Carra and Nando on that money.

I would say that Alonso and Masc are in the next wage bracket (50-70k).

There is no way in hell Carra is on anything near 100k+ a week.

• Advertisement

"I am happy at Liverpool but in football you cannot close the doors on anything because you don't know what will happen. I do not plan to go," he told El Pais.

Harldy conclusive now Al, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

spockety wrote: »
    There is no way in hell Carra is on anything near 100k+ a week.

100% sure he is. Him and stevie are on par as clubs highest earners with Nando joining them since he signed his new deal.
    Will look for a link now.

EDIT: My bad, he's on 80k since his new deal

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2007/jun/05/newsstory.sport13

prendy wrote: »
    100% sure he is. Him and stevie are on par as clubs highest earners with Nando joining them since he signed his new deal.
    Will look for a link now.

If he's earning more than 80 I'll consider eating my hat!

Some actual quotes finally from Masch:
    "I am very proud and thankful for the interest from Barcelona and Real Madrid. It's good for me to have these two teams interested in me," he told Don Balon.

"Both teams are very important but at this moment I think that Barcelona is a little bit better and that's why they've won all that they have."

Gah.
    According to reports in the Daily Mirror Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano’s career at Anfield is becoming increasingly fragile because he earns considerably less than a number of his colleagues.

Liverpool will reportedly pay Glen Johnson £100,000 a week and in doing so they risk further alienating the former West Ham player Mascherano from the rest of the squad.

The Argentina national captain has been strongly linked with a move to Barcelona, and although Rafa Benitez recently suggested a move for the player would cost the European Champions £50 million, the player’s agent was believed to have held talks with the Catalan giants over a possible move.

Having decided to pay Johnson £4 million a year, according to the Mirror Liverpool will have to treble Mascherano’s wages in order to appease the combative midfielder.

Mascherano has cemented himself as a crucial member of Benitez’s starting XI at Anfield, and as such, he believes he merits pay parity with the likes of Xabi Alonso and Pepe Reina.

In light of the reputed interest from Barcelona and Real Madrid, Mascherano told Spanish publication Don Balon: “I am very proud and thankful for the interest from Barcelona and Real Madrid. It's good for me to have these two teams interested in me,”

“Both teams are very important, but at this moment I think that Barcelona is a little bit better and that's why they've won all that they have.”

Masch's wages should at the very least match Johnson's. If he's really being paid 100K a week, it's astounding.

Javier Mascherano has spoken glowingly of his admiration for Barcelona - cranking up the pressure on Liverpool to offer him an improved contract.

Rafael Benitez is determined to keep the midfielder from Barca's clutches, but it is suggested the Barclays Premier League club will have to double his £30,000 a week wages to keep the Argentina captain happy.

Nou Camp boss Pep Guardiola has identified Mascherano as the perfect addition to a stellar midfield that includes Andres Iniesta and Xavi, but the their £20million valuation is nowhere near the prohibitive £50m which Liverpool are understood to have quoted to Barca and Manchester City.

Real Madrid have also been linked to the 25-year-old and Mascherano told Spanish magazine Don Balon the interest was 'a great compliment'.

He added: 'For me it represents a great recognition because we are talking about big clubs.

'I feel comfortable in Liverpool, but it is always good to know that teams like Barcelona or Real Madrid are interested. I am very grateful.'

Mascherano has three years left on his contract, so Liverpool will be reluctant to improve his pay. But he earns far less than captain Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres, who both pick up more than £100,000 a week.

As for the best team in Europe, Mascherano is emphatic. 'There is no doubt, Barca are better than the rest,' he said.

And Nou Camp idol Lionel Messi, Mascherano's Argentina team-mate, gets the nod above Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka as the greatest talent on the planet.

'Without doubt, Messi is the best player in the world,' he said. 'To have him close by is a privilege. He knows no bounds in football.'

Can he be as good as Maradona? 'Time will tell, but it is certain that no one can be sure that he won't be. That puts him on a very high level, among the best in history, without doubt.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Article with Prentice at the Echo.

Good to see the bit about being able to buy one more player, without any players leaving. Clearly there must be some cash there.

Really looks like Arbeloa is on the way from this.

Also seems to be looking to flog Leto and Voronin, which isn't that much of a surprise, as well as confirmation that Dossena is on his way.

I'd imagine that the sale of Arbeloa, Dossena, Leto and Voronin if they all went through would easily cover the cost of Johnson.

Interesting that there was no mention of Babel one way or the other.
    Why I had to splash out on Glen Johnson - Liverpool FC boss Rafa Benitez
    Jun 23 2009 by David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL boss Rafa Benitez admitted today that his £17m capture of Glen Johnson was more than he wanted to spend on a full-back.

But he also revealed that the huge outlay does not signal the end of his summer spending.

With Chelsea also willing to pay Portsmouth’s asking price for the England defender, Benitez admitted: “Sometimes you have to spend a little bit more.

“You can’t compete in the top four of the Premier League unless you spend some money.

“We were looking for a player of quality and also somebody who is British because of the new Champions League rules.

“Glen Johnson fits both categories.”

The player has agreed a deal with the Reds and is expected to formally put pen to paper in the next 48 hours.

And he may not be the last new face at Anfield this summer.

“We have a plan,” added Benitez. “We can sign one more player if necessary, but that’s without any players leaving.”

Benitez is bracing himself for a bid from Real Madrid for Alvaro Arbeloa but he is also concerned by the increasing speculation surrounding midfielders Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano.

The Reds boss has made it clear that he would not welcome bids for either player, but while Real have publicly stated their interest in Alonso has ended, Barcelona are refusing to give up on Mascherano despite Benitez’s very firm hands-off warning.

First to leave, however, could be Arbeloa.

“Alvaro Arbeloa has had a very good season but he has one year left on his contract,” said the Reds boss. “If he signs that will be good because we will have more competition, but if we get a good offer we will have to consider it.”

Benitez is also hoping that on-loan players Sebastien Leto and Andriy Voronin could bring in more transfer funds, while a return to Italy for Andrea Dossena is also on the cards.

The Reds also completed the signing of two junior players yesterday.

Spanish press reported the signing of 15-year-old Jesus Joaquin Fernandez from Cadiz.

The Reds are said to have beaten off competition from Barcelona, Real Madrid, Sevilla and Villarreal for the midfielder’s services.

Liverpool have also sealed the signing of teenage striker Aaron King from Rushden and Diamonds.

King, 16, impressed during a recent trial period at Anfield and has now signed a two-year scholarship agreement.

“We are all absolutely thrilled for Aaron – this is a brilliant achievement for everyone involved in his development throughout the five years that he has been with us,” Rushden’s head of youth development Paul Driver said.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/06/23/why-i-had-to-splash-out-on-glen-johnson-liverpool-fc-boss-rafa-benitez-100252-23949351/2/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Gah.

Masch's wages should at the very least match Johnson's. If he's really being paid 100K a week, it's astounding.

At this stage it looks like damage limitations and try and keep one of them.

Look on the bright side you lot wanted a large transfer kitty :D

• Advertisement

Harldy conclusive now Al, is it?

You say he wants out of Liverpool.

He says....
    I am happy at Liverpool
    I do not plan to go

Conclusive enough for me ;)

:D good lad Boggles :D
    As well as the calibre of clubs being interested in the majority of our first team this transfer window, further proof of the wonderful work being done by Rafa is surely that rival fans are praying the team he is building is taken apart.

Thing is though, if we were to lose one of either Alonso or Masch, i'd have every confidence in Rafa having the chops to get em replaced without much hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

My jaw hit the floor when I read Glen Johnson is getting £100,000 a week.

You say he wants out of Liverpool.

He says....

Conclusive enough for me ;)

:D good lad Boggles :D

:D You left out the bit in the middle. :D

Here it is again
    "I am happy at Liverpool but in football you cannot close the doors on anything because you don't know what will happen. I do not plan to go," he told El Pais.

Quit your jibber jabbing! Anything can be edited and quoted out of context. Getting very tedious. Mr Alan you are of course right, the amount of money being quoted for Liverpools top played reflects a sea-change in the perception of the clubs strength esp on le continent. Now if they could all just fupp off. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

No way in hell is Johnson worth £100k a week - I'll not believe he's earning that until his payslip leaks online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

"I am very proud and thankful for the interest from Barcelona and Real Madrid. It's good for me to have these two teams interested in me," he told Don Balon.

"Both teams are very important but at this moment I think that Barcelona is a little bit better and that's why they've won all that they have."
    You have to wonder what the questions were though. Something a little fishy about the second quote - sounds like he was asked "Hey Javier, who's bestest/biggestest of Madrid and Barca?" and the answer has been warped as you'd expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Any idea what Johnson was earning at Portsmouth?
    I'm sure he signed a new contract with Portsmouth back in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

How much Chelsea were offering him might be more relevant than what Pompey were paying him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Wait a minute, first the wife wanted out, but now Mascherano is demanding more money to stay. If she was sick of the country and wanted a Spanish speaking home, that's that then? I think the wife excuse is a pile of crap, Mascherano wants a heavier pay packet or the beautiful football at Barcelona if he doesn't get what he wants at Anfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

zing wrote: »
    How much Chelsea were offering him might be more relevant than what Pompey were paying him

Don't forget what City were reportedly prepared to pay, which I assume was even more than Chelsea...still not worth £100k a week in my opinion but let's hope he proves us wrong as he will be a good addition to the team.

:D You left out the bit in the middle. :D

Here it is again

is the bit in the middle where he says he wants out or he is unhappy at Liverpool? or its his dream to play for Real?

no he says the footballers standard line of "anything can happen in the future"

the lines where he says he has a good relationship with Rafa. He doesn't want to leave and he is happy at Liverpool are more important imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Looks like there's another stay of execution

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8114377.stm

Liverpool Football Club - which owes two banks £350m - is close to renegotiating its debt with the Royal Bank of Scotland, the BBC has learnt.

RBS has told club owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett the debt, due to be repaid in July, will be refinanced.

BBC business editor Robert Peston says RBS will insist on significant payments in the subsequent six months.

It comes as Portsmouth's defender Glen Johnson has agreed to join Liverpool in a £17.5m move.

Lending agreement

Our business editor says the good news for Liverpool FC supporters is that the club is not about to go bust.

The club borrowed too much; and it now has to tighten its belt, pay down debt and endeavour to live within its means
    Robert Peston, BBC business editor

Read Robert's blog in full

"I understand that Royal Bank of Scotland has told its two billionaire owners, George Gillett and Tom Hicks, that their £350m debt - which falls due for repayment on 24 July and is owed to Royal Bank and Wachovia of the US - will be refinanced.

"A new lending agreement will be put on place."

A spokesman for the US pair would not comment on the development.

The other bank owed money, Wachovia, has yet to make any announcement.

US sales

Latest accounts show Kop Holdings, the parent company of the Anfield club, lost £42.6m in the year to August 2008.

The RBS revelation comes days after Liverpool co-owner George Gillett agreed to sell one of his major assets in a deal which would ease financial pressures at the Premier League club.

He is selling his 80% stake in the NHL's Montreal Canadiens ice hockey team, in a deal reported to be worth at least $550m (£332.9m).

His fellow Liverpool owner, Mr Hicks, has also been looking to sell off elements of his own sporting empire - which includes Major League Baseball's Texas Rangers and the NHL's Dallas Stars.

The sales will help provide financial guarantees to RBS and Wachovia that Mr Gillett and Mr Hicks have funds available for the operation of the football business.

'Commercial acumen'

Meanwhile, the club has appointed a new managing director, Christian Purslow, as overall manager of the club until a new chief executive is in place.

Mr Purslow will represent owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks and liaise with manager Rafael Benitez on his summer transfer dealings.

He is an executive board member and co-founder of private equity firm Mid Ocean Partners.

"His strategic and commercial acumen will be a real asset and we're delighted that he has made a long term commitment to the club," Mr Gillett said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

is the bit in the middle where he says he wants out or he is unhappy at Liverpool? or its his dream to play for Real?

the lines where he says he has a good relationship with Rafa. He doesn't want to leave and he is happy at Liverpool are more important imo.

that's Ronaldo's line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Hes no Torres regards clear statments though :(

I heart torres forever.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    My jaw hit the floor when I read Glen Johnson is getting £100,000 a week.

My jaw hit the floor when I read Rio Ferdinand is getting £125,000 a week,both Johnson & Ferdinand are worth nowhere near that kind of money.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement