Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Tell that to Ferdinands medals :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

PHB wrote: »

You mean John O'Shea is getting £125,000,000 a week?:eek:

Cause that's obviously how football works for you it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

LOL.

In fairness - Rio has been a star performer for United for years now, he has (in reality - i know Giggs and Nev had the armband when they played, but it was Rio who was the real captain in mine, and a lot of people's, opinion) captained the side to 3 league titles, a CL win and a CL final. You might not like him, but the guy is brilliant and should be in the top bracket of earners at OT.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

PHB wrote: »

really?? Are you going down that road again, that's awesome. Kudos on that totally awesome cool internet post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Am I the only one to think Johnson is a huge risk? at this stage would he not be the same class of player as Pennant, he's only had one "great" season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

johnson_lfc.jpg

Reminds me too much of Jermaine Peanut.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Maybe the day will come when players are paid in the region of £125million a week.

It ain't this week though:P

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If Johnson is coming in at more than 3x Mascheranos wages, I can see why he would be pissed off, in fairness. I wsih they would go about it a different way though if that is his aim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Maybe the day will come when players are paid in the region of £125million a week.

It ain't this week though:P

Next season, when Ronaldo signs for LA Galaxy lol

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Am I the only one to think Johnson is a huge risk? at this stage would he not be the same class of player as Pennant, he's only had one "great" season.

Pennant just had the completely wrong attitude though, and came with a lot of off field baggage. He was always a gamble. Johnson seems to be a lot more level headed and imo stable in this regard.

He's shown flashes of brilliance throughout his career. His time at Chelsea was marred by no manager really taking an interest in him once Ranieri left. Since he left, he's been arguably Portsmouth's stand-out player, even at times when they were playing awful football. The fact he's English is no doubt a premium on his fee, but he's still relatively young and with the right guidance and coaching could easily become a very good player for a team.

All signings are a gamble, but given the lack of real options out there, Pool could do a lot worse than paying over the odds for Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I can't believe people are trying to compare Rio's wages with what we are giving Johnson. I mean the situations couldn't be further removed from each other.

If we really are paying that to Johnson its way too much in my eyes.

Opr

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

5starpool wrote: »
    If Johnson is coming in at more than 3x Mascheranos wages, I can see why he would be pissed off, in fairness. I wsih they would go about it a different way though if that is his aim.

I agree,Mascherano needs a pay rise and I say give it to the lad.

opr wrote: »
    I can't believe people are trying to compare Rio's wages with what we are giving Johnson. I mean the situations couldn't be further removed from each other.

If we really are paying that to Johnson its way too much in my eyes.

Opr

How are the situations so different..?I don't think ether is worth that kind of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I doubt Johnson is on that type of scratch, how would the papers know the details of his contract? Alson, why are people comparing Johnson to pennant? I get the impression its because he's black, laughable really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It could be cos Johnson also plays on the right side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

mike65 wrote: »
    It could be cos Johnson also plays on the right side.

That and the fhact that he went from a big 4 club, where he didn't settle, to a smaller premier league team where he did well and then onto liverpool

I get the impression its because he's black, laughable really.

*FFS* :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    johnson_lfc.jpg

Reminds me too much of Jermaine Peanut.

Unfortunately it reminds me of an expensive and overpaid Glen Johnson playing for Liverpool.

I doubt Johnson is on that type of scratch, how would the papers know the details of his contract?.

Well, if I was Johnson and managed to get someone to pay me 100k a week, I'd tell anyone that would listen

IMO Johnson and Maschs' wages should be reversed.

"its because he's black"

*FFS* :mad:

Dont forget the hair.

It's the afro.

Babel will be next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I dont particularly give a **** if he is expensive once he is successful. Give him the chance to prove himself anyway.

Comparing any player to Pennant is an insult of the highest order. Pennant is a complete waste of space.

I hope they give Masch an extra 30K per week and bring over some friends for his missus.

If we keep alonso and masch it would be better than signing anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

It's the afro.

Babel will be next.

simpson.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

It's the afro.

Babel will be next.

nah it'll be Rafa

and it will be affectionately known as his Raf-fro:o:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Dub13 wrote: »
    How are the situations so different..?I don't think ether is worth that kind of money.

Most players are not worth the kind of money they get paid weekly but within todays game its just a fact of life that they get paid huge sums of money. This still doesn't mean you shouldn't have some barometer to measure levels of wages.

Rio is an established player within the club he plays at. He has over long periods of time performed well and has helped his club win numerous honours. I wouldn't say any of the other players at UTD begrudge the kind of money he receives.

The wage structure within Liverpool has always been very good and i think we have the lowest of any club within the top 4 ?
    Signing a player like Johnson and putting him on 100k is going to upset the apple cart in terms of a number of players wages IMO.

I do think Johnson is likely to add strength to the squad but for the kind of fee paid and the wages we are reportedly paying him i would rather do without.

Opr

I dont particularly give a **** if he is expensive once he is successful. Give him the chance to prove himself anyway.

Comparing any player to Pennant is an insult of the highest order. Pennant is a complete waste of space.

I hope they give Masch an extra 30K per week and bring over some friends for his missus.

If we keep alonso and masch it would be better than signing anyone else.

Pennant had a great couple of seasons for pool, his biggest failure was not getting picked to play for england. He had already played 24 games at under 21.

What i'm saying is, the chap is not getting a chance off some fans, not turning it into a race thing don't get me wrong, just get the impression he's getting lumped in with a clown like pennant because he looks similar too him which is stupid really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well if it means pushing Masch out the door then I very much do care. He'd have to be successfull beyond his ability to make up for that.

What i'm saying is, the chap is not getting a chance off some fans, not turning it into a race thing don't get me wrong, just get the impression he's getting lumped in with a clown like pennant because he looks similar too him which is stupid really.

Its nothing got to do with his looks mate, think you got the wrong end of the stick.

You got to admit there are some career similarities i.e. choice of position.

I'm glad to see the back of pennant myself even though I personally am unaware as to why everyone dislikes him to the extent they do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Glen Johnson's problem is that, in football, getting a bad name has always been easier than losing one. The sport, and particularly the media, tends to pigeonhole footballers and the perception of Johnson, certainly in his younger years, has been of someone who maybe does not take football seriously enough. Talented? Yes. Worthy of his England place? Undoubtedly. But also someone who has stayed young too long.

Portsmouth's right-back has lived his professional life believing that the tabloids, rather than left-wingers, are the biggest enemy. He has been arrested on suspicion of stealing a toilet seat from B&Q and has been dumped by Chelsea for not meeting Jose Mourinho's requirements. Remember that story about him forgetting his passport before the team flew out to play Barcelona? I mean, what kind of serious professional forgets his passport before a match like that?

The answers are revealing but, first, you need an audience with the man himself and that's not easy. This interview has been 18 months in the chasing and to begin with Johnson's default setting is to be guarded about what he says. His arms are folded, his answers clipped and defensive and you don't need to be a body-language expert to realise that breaking down the barriers is going to take time. But, slowly, they come down and as they fall it is easy to warm to him, even sympathise.

A lot of the stories attached to him are, it transpires, utter tosh. Johnson needs better PR. That passport story, for starters. "It was complete bollocks," he says. "This is one of the reasons I don't like talking about some of the stuff that happened at Chelsea because there's so much that's untrue. The club had all the players' passports but it came out that I had lost mine and had been out on the razz the night before. And because it's me, it sticks. It's something I've had to get used to.

"I broke my hand playing for Chelsea once and people said I'd lost my temper and punched a wall because Mourinho wasn't picking me. Complete bollocks again! But I couldn't be bothered to defend myself. Maybe that hasn't helped me because people believe these things. You can get a reputation, deserved or not."

We are talking in a little office at the Mary Rose school, 15 minutes' walk from Fratton Park. Johnson is slouched in his seat, urban cool, braided hair, Dolce & Gabbana jeans, a new Mercedes waiting outside. The elaborate tattoo twisting round his left arm reads "Everything happens for a reason". Later, he shows off the one on his back. It's another favourite saying: "Every man dies but not every man lives".

He is here as part of the Premier League's Creating Chances campaign, devoting a full afternoon to meeting some of the pupils with special needs and launching the school's Beijing Bikes project, a sponsored 5,070-mile static cycle ride to cover the distance from London to Beijing before the 2012 Olympics. Johnson has made it his business to be prominently involved in Portsmouth's community events. He also runs the Glen Johnson Soccer School in the neighbourhood where he grew up in Dartford, Kent.

"It's too easy for kids to get caught up in trouble," he says. "You get in with the wrong group of lads and that's you sucked in. That was the inspiration behind the soccer school. I wanted to do something that would keep them off their streets."

One of his nine-year-olds, Jake Eggleton, has already been snapped up by West Ham. Johnson's six-year-old brother, Courtney, is also enrolled. "It's nice for parents to know they can drop off their kids and they will be safe," he continues. "You see all the stories in the news, kids getting into trouble. Nobody wants that."

This doesn't fit in with the outsider's image of Johnson. He comes across as mature and professional, not at all big-headed or full of himself. At Portsmouth, indeed, the most frequent criticism is that he doesn't realise just how good he actually is. "Joe Jordan [formerly the assistant manager] made a DVD once of some of my best bits," he recalls. "He said, 'Just watch this – watch how good you really are.' It did make me realise. I knew what he was getting at."

Johnson, after all, has defied the logic that says you have to play for a Champions League club to get a regular place in the England side. "I do feel different about playing for England now. I feel more confident about being there. It comes through age, I suppose, but also the consistency of playing every week. When I was at Chelsea it was hard because I might not have played a league game for five weeks and suddenly I was in the England side. In terms of fitness, it's never the same."

Harry Redknapp paid £4m to bring him to Fratton Park in August 2007, and Johnson's form since then has shown that maybe Mourinho should have given him more of a chance. Yet this has been a difficult season, to say the least.

"Harry was my biggest mentor in football so it was a massive shock when he left. Tony [Adams] took over and was making changes but, just as he was finally getting it the way he wanted it, Paul [Hart] took over. So we're going through that process all over again. It's not good for any team to have three managers in one season."

He thinks it would be "devastating" if Portsmouth, fourth from bottom going into today's lunchtime kick-off at home to Everton, were relegated and he speaks from experience after being part of the last West Ham side to go down. "It was unbelievably bad," he recalls. "I remember after the final match a few of the lads didn't look too bothered. In the dressing room Rufus Brevett said to them, 'When you look at the fixture list next season you'll be bothered, all right.'"

For Portsmouth, it would be especially harrowing only a year after winning the FA Cup. The trophy returned to the FA headquarters his week, but the memories are still vivid even if, for Johnson, the proudest day of his career was tarnished by the theft of his medal. "Jamie Ashdown's went as well," he says. "I'd put mine in my wash-bag at the bottom of my bag and kept checking on it. But in the morning we went out for the open-top bus parade and when we came back, it was gone – and the CCTV cameras had broken."

Neither medal was recovered, but Johnson, who has been given a replacement by the FA, has his own suspicions about who was responsible. "I don't know what the doughnut is going to do with them, though," he says. "He can't exactly blag that he won them."

But what of his own brush with the law and that infamous visit to B&Q in January 2007? "That was just comical," he says. "My mate was doing up his bathroom so we went to B&Q and found one of those sets where you get everything in one box. But he wanted a seat with a slow-close lid, so we took out the seat and put in another one. What we didn't know was that the new seat was £2.35 more expensive. We went through the till, paid for it and then this security guy stopped us and said he had been watching on CCTV.

"We just burst out laughing. Where's Jeremy Beadle then? But he said, 'No, this is serious, the police are on their way.'

"We were crying our eyes out laughing. The police turned up and they were laughing! I said to the security guy, 'Can we not just pay the £2.35?'" He said, 'No, this is a serious offence.' So the police gave us two options: go to court and fight it out, or pay a £70 on-the-spot fine. We couldn't be bothered going to court so we paid the fine but doing that made us look guilty."

He is laughing now. "What sort of thief walks through the till and pays for his stuff? If I'm a thief, I'm strapping it to my back and bolting it through the door!

"But I've just had to get used to this kind of stuff. The people who know me know it isn't true and that's what matters."

lumping him into a bracket with Pennant is harsh.

Its nothing got to do with his looks mate, think you got the wrong end of the stick.

You got to admit there are some career similarities i.e. choice of position.

I'm glad to see the back of pennant myself even though I personally am unaware as to why everyone dislikes him to the extent they do...

Yes there are similarities, but the looks thing stands out as somebody said a page back underneath a picture of him 'reminds me to much of Jermaine Peanuthead' now a witty as that comment is i think it reflects upon some fans attitude to this signing, the chap is getting written off by many before he's even kicked a ball and to be compared to somebody like pennant is a bit insulting to him.

The reason why myself and other pool fans dislike Pennant so much, i would assume is because when teams were coming in to buy him in January(supposedly madrid and milan) when he couldn't even get into our squad, he refused to go because it would have meant taking a pay cut So we lost out on getting any transfer fee for him at all. On top of that his reported discipline problems etc.

Has this been quote yet? More from Masch via Setanta
    But his firm stance has not dampened speculation the player could be heading for the Anfield exit door.

"I am very proud and thankful for the interest from Barcelona and Real Madrid,” told Don Balon.

“I feel happy at Liverpool, but it’s good for me to have these two teams interested in me.

"Both teams are very important but at this moment I think that Barcelona is a little bit better and that's why they've won all that they have."

Asked about his relationship with Rafa Benitez, he said: “It is excellent.

“He is a perfectionist - he works harder than anyone could imagine.

“Luckily, he has renewed his contract, which has helped to relax us all.

Doesn't sound like a man looking for the EXIT sign.

• Advertisement

Yes there are similarities, but the looks thing stands out as somebody said a page back underneath a picture of him 'reminds me to much of Jermaine Peanuthead' now a witty as that comment is i think it reflects upon some fans attitude to this signing, the chap is getting written off by many before he's even kicked a ball and to be compared to somebody like pennant is a bit insulting to him.

The reason why myself and other pool fans dislike Pennant so much, i would assume is because when teams were coming in to buy him in January(supposedly madrid and milan) when he couldn't even get into our squad, he refused to go because it would have meant taking a pay cut So we lost out on getting any transfer fee for him at all. On top of that his reported discipline problems etc.

Right ok agreed about the peanuthead comment, IMO thought it was a nice photoshop job.

I get you re transfers, I feel a lot more "negativity" toward someone like Harry Kewel TBH. At least pennant (I think) was playing well in the reserves and was available to play first team football at the time if selected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Benitez defends Johnson price:
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0623/benitezr.html

Looks like there will be at least one more signing:

We have a plan. We can sign one more player if necessary, but that's without any players leaving,' he told the Liverpool Echo.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Right ok agreed about the peanuthead comment, IMO thought it was a nice photoshop job.

I get you re transfers, I feel a lot more "negativity" toward someone like Harry Kewel TBH. At least pennant (I think) was playing well in the reserves and was available to play first team football at the time if selected.

It's a top photoshop job alright! Prefer this one though, ;)

torresvilla.jpg

From the Telegraph:

Liverpool's Nikolay Mihailov has run-in with mafia godfather over ex-girlfriend jibe
    Liverpool reserve team goalkeeper Nikolay Mihailov is reportedly under armed guard in his native Bulgaria following a row with a notorious mafia godfather over a glamorous model.

Mihailov, who ended last season on loan at Steve McClaren's FC Twente, is being shadowed round the clock by at least three minders after an acid attack on his £170,000 Ferrari sports car.

Reports in Bulgaria claim that a violent row began when local mob godfather Georgi 'The Head' Stoilov began dating Mihailov's former girlfriend, model Nikoleta Lozanova, who was crowned Bulgaria's 'Playmate of the Year' in 2006.

Mihailov allegedly joked to local media that if his new girlfriend was a Ferrari, Nikoleta must be a broken down Trabant from the old East Germany.

The next day, Mihailov woke to find that his Ferrari had suffered £17,000 worth of damage following an acid attack that had destroyed the car's paintwork.

Authorities suspect involvement from the Stoilov family, one of Bulgaria's most powerful Mafia clans.

Family boss Stoil Stoilov was assassinated together with three of his bodyguards in Bulgaria's capital Sofia in January 2004 when a huge bomb took out the lift they were in.

Mihailov is now reportedly in hiding while club bosses decide whether he should remain in Bulgaria or return to Anfield.

The 20-year-old, who is the son of former Reading and Bulgaria goalkeeper Borislav Mihailov, has yet to make a senior appearance for Liverpool following his arrival from Levski Sofia two years ago.

He appeared to have little future at Anfield following manager Rafael Benitez's decision to loan him to FC Twente, but with Charles Itandje set to leave the club and doubts over the future of Benfica target Diego Cavalieri, Mihailov could find himself as second choice behind Pepe Reina at the start of the new season.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

That was a memorable win over Russia, a real vital moment in our history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

From the Telegraph:...
    Liverpool reserve team goalkeeper Nikolay Mihailov ..... £170,000 Ferrari sports car.
    Never mind 100k a week for Johnson, how fupping much are we paying 4th (at best) choice keepers??

Classic.:D

That fella collects flashy model girlfriends it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

From the Telegraph:

Liverpool's Nikolay Mihailov has run-in with mafia godfather over ex-girlfriend jibe
    Liverpool reserve team goalkeeper Nikolay Mihailov is reportedly under armed guard in his native Bulgaria following a row with a notorious mafia godfather over a glamorous model.

Mihailov, who ended last season on loan at Steve McClaren's FC Twente, is being shadowed round the clock by at least three minders after an acid attack on his £170,000 Ferrari sports car.

Reports in Bulgaria claim that a violent row began when local mob godfather Georgi 'The Head' Stoilov began dating Mihailov's former girlfriend, model Nikoleta Lozanova, who was crowned Bulgaria's 'Playmate of the Year' in 2006.

Mihailov allegedly joked to local media that if his new girlfriend was a Ferrari, Nikoleta must be a broken down Trabant from the old East Germany.

The next day, Mihailov woke to find that his Ferrari had suffered £17,000 worth of damage following an acid attack that had destroyed the car's paintwork.

Authorities suspect involvement from the Stoilov family, one of Bulgaria's most powerful Mafia clans.

Family boss Stoil Stoilov was assassinated together with three of his bodyguards in Bulgaria's capital Sofia in January 2004 when a huge bomb took out the lift they were in.

Mihailov is now reportedly in hiding while club bosses decide whether he should remain in Bulgaria or return to Anfield.

The 20-year-old, who is the son of former Reading and Bulgaria goalkeeper Borislav Mihailov, has yet to make a senior appearance for Liverpool following his arrival from Levski Sofia two years ago.

He appeared to have little future at Anfield following manager Rafael Benitez's decision to loan him to FC Twente, but with Charles Itandje set to leave the club and doubts over the future of Benfica target Diego Cavalieri, Mihailov could find himself as second choice behind Pepe Reina at the start of the new season.

Ha that's hilarious! The one they're fighting about is very hot I must say, whatever Mihailov might think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Most worrying thing in that article is the reported doubts over Cavalieri staying ;) Just when we'd gotten ourselves a decent backup keeper again

Wow, those Mascherano quotes in full kinda change the whole context of the way its being painted.

Personally i don't believe that Mascherano is on peanuts and he seems fairly happy at Liverpool. so apart from his agent acting the tit, he doesnt seem to be saying anything out of order.

**** me, eveytime Torres speaks I love him more.

Him on Villa possibly coming to England.
    Torres wrote:
    "I don't think Chelsea's money will tempt him, or United. I think with his abilities and qualities he is better for the Spanish league - he scores over 25 goals every season there.

"I would like him to come to Liverpool of course but I think he is too expensive for us. And I would prefer it if he played in Spain than signed for Chelsea or United! That's what I'll tell him!"

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Mr Alan wrote: »
    **** me, eveytime Torres speaks I love him more.

Him on Villa possibly coming to England.

Absolute fuppin' legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Ì am pretty happy that we have signed Glen Johnson. Portsmouth were on the box a good few times in the PL run in and I had the opportunity to watch Johnson. He is absolutely fantastic going forward, he reminds of Daniel Alves in the way that they both bomb forward and can suddenly cut in from the wing, thus finding themselves in very good situations. He doesnn't look like a liability at the back either as I didn't see him make any howlers. The only problem I have with Johnson is that he can be a bit too greedy with the ball; he does the hard work of getting forward and creating space for himself, but instead of trying to set someone up he goes for the shot, almost every time. But I'm sure that is something Rafa can work on.

As for the price, it is unfortunately the nature of the market. Especially after Man City made overtures, we were never going to get him for £12m-£15m after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

£17 million for Johnson is crazy crazy money. The guys a mediocre full back who is decent going forward but who will be cruelly exposed defensively in big games next year. Insane.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Liverpool close to bank deal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8114377.stm
    Liverpool close to bank debt deal

Liverpool Football Club - which owes two banks £350m - is close to renegotiating its debt with the Royal Bank of Scotland, the BBC has learnt.

RBS has told club owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett the debt, due to be repaid in July, will be refinanced.

BBC business editor Robert Peston says RBS will insist on significant payments in the subsequent six months.

It comes as Portsmouth's defender Glen Johnson has agreed to join Liverpool in a £17.5m move.

Lending agreement

Our business editor says the good news for Liverpool FC supporters is that the club is not about to go bust.

"I understand that Royal Bank of Scotland has told its two billionaire owners, George Gillett and Tom Hicks, that their £350m debt - which falls due for repayment on 24 July and is owed to Royal Bank and Wachovia of the US - will be refinanced.

"A new lending agreement will be put on place."

A spokesman for the US pair would not comment on the development.

The other bank owed money, Wachovia, has yet to make any announcement.

US sales

Latest accounts show Kop Holdings, the parent company of the Anfield club, lost £42.6m in the year to August 2008.

The RBS revelation comes days after Liverpool co-owner George Gillett agreed to sell one of his major assets in a deal which would ease financial pressures at the Premier League club.

He is selling his 80% stake in the NHL's Montreal Canadiens ice hockey team, in a deal reported to be worth at least $550m (£332.9m).

His fellow Liverpool owner, Mr Hicks, has also been looking to sell off elements of his own sporting empire - which includes Major League Baseball's Texas Rangers and the NHL's Dallas Stars.

The sales will help provide financial guarantees to RBS and Wachovia that Mr Gillett and Mr Hicks have funds available for the operation of the football business.

'Commercial acumen'

Meanwhile, the club has appointed a new managing director, Christian Purslow, as overall manager of the club until a new chief executive is in place.

Mr Purslow will represent owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks and liaise with manager Rafael Benitez on his summer transfer dealings.

He is an executive board member and co-founder of private equity firm Mid Ocean Partners.

"His strategic and commercial acumen will be a real asset and we're delighted that he has made a long term commitment to the club," Mr Gillett said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

flahavaj wrote: »
    £17 million for Johnson is crazy crazy money. The guys a mediocre full back who is decent going forward but who will be cruelly exposed defensively in big games next year. Insane.:eek:

Should have looked abroad it would have cost less for a player of equal talent though i feel he will be less of a flop than some of Benitez defensive buys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

ecoli wrote: »
    Should have looked abroad it would have cost less for a player of equal talent though i feel he will be less of a flop than some of Benitez defensive buys

No great victory to be fair.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

ecoli wrote: »

Rafa has acknowledged that part of the logic is to acquire more english players to cope with the new champions league rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

flahavaj wrote: »
    No great victory to be fair.

yeah, agger, skrtel, arbeloa, reina, insua, aurelio masch are rubbish defensive buys alright. only poor defensive buy was dossena. josemi was cheap, and got us kromkamp for free, both grand backup. also worth noting he made carra the defender he is today.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement