Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Rafa always has been close to God Al.

rafa_five_years_10.jpg

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

he looks like a bouncer there or something

or like a spanish ross kemp

Rafa benitez in...............................Toxteth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Dub13 wrote: »
    Nicked from another site.

"Here's a story courtesy of the Spanish journalist Miguel Angel Vara, which was related to me earlier - in case people start demanding sources.

Madrid sent some representatives to negotiate over Alonso and Arbeloa at the end of last week. They offered a straight deal including some of the Dutch contingent (Van der Vaart and Sneijder), then they offered Gago, and then they offered Negredo. Each time, Rafa asked what values Madrid were placing on these players and finally burst into incredulous laughter. "Remind me - who beat whom by five goals to nil in the Champions League? he tells the now flustered Madrid negotiators. "Only it must be us who lost, because my players, whom you are wanting to take away, are worth nothing, whereas yours, whom you are trying to discard, each seem to have higher values". And the negotiations ended there and then!

Priceless. That's the kind of story that makes me realise just how lucky we are with the manager we have. I do feel that familiarity has bred contempt over the last few years for many of the regulars on here, but I hope at least some of them can still appreciate tales like this!

By the way, Vara thinks that the Alonso deal may not happen - firstly because Rafa wants 40million euros, and not a penny less, but also because of his poor relations with Valdano who seems to be in charge of Madrid's transfers - these go back to when they were both on the Madrid coaching staff in the 90s, although of course not helped by Valdano describing Liverpool's style of play as "sh*t on a stick" - Rafa has not forgotten, and certainly not forgiven, that..."

Thats class.

I find it really annoying the amount of "liverpool" fans that are coming on here CONSTANTLY doubting what Rafas doing. Weve become such a strong team and yet people are coming on here with "Johnson is only medicore what the hell have we spent so much on him for blah blah blah".

Even when we were drawing alot of our games last season I still maintained to my friends and on here to the people who wanted him out to give him another year. And just look how strong we finished.

I just wish people would shut up and let Rafa do his job without constantly questioning everything he does.

Ive never had so much confidence in a Liverpool manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

aparrently there are reports from Greece that we've agreed a 4m deal with Panathonikos for Leto. Great deal if true. I haven't seen any source yet.

I thought we were supposed to get a player + 2m :confused:
    joe123 wrote: »
    Thats class.

I find it really annoying the amount of "liverpool" fans that are coming on here CONSTANTLY doubting what Rafas doing. Weve become such a strong team and yet people are coming on here with "Johnson is only medicore what the hell have we spent so much on him for blah blah blah".

Even when we were drawing alot of our games last season I still maintained to my friends and on here to the people who wanted him out to give him another year. And just look how strong we finished.

I just wish people would shut up and let Rafa do his job without constantly questioning everything he does.

It took me a while to figure out what Rafa was up to alright but I can see now that he had a monumental task to do and he's doing a fecking fantastic job.

5 years, averaging €16m spent each year, thats unreal work.

Even better is the fact that he sticks in the face of everyone else in such a cool and collected way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,740 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Thats class.

I thought we were supposed to get a player + 2m :confused:

It took me a while to figure out what Rafa was up to alright but I can see now that he had a monumental task to do and he's doing a fecking fantastic job.

5 years, averaging €16m spent each year, thats unreal work.

Even better is the fact that he sticks in the face of everyone else in such a cool and collected way.

Funny how football works.

Brass tacks though, if Liverpool end up empty handied again next season, the majority will want him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Boggles wrote: »

Brass tacks though, if Liverpool end up empty handied again next season, the minority will want him out.

FYP

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Brass tacks though, if Liverpool end up empty handied again next season, the majority will want him out.

not so sure that the majority would want him out.

mayordenis wrote: »

It will definately swing Denis.

Huge pressure on the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah sure why wait - RAFA OUT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

ugh, that is all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Huge pressure on the man.
    Really? If I'd just signed a 5 year work contract, I'd be feeling quite relaxed personally.

PiE wrote: »
    Really? If I'd just signed a 5 year work contract, I'd be feeling quite relaxed personally.

Scolari360_351120a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah but Big Phil is crap pretty crap manager it turns out.

mike65 wrote: »
    Yeah but Big Phil is crap pretty crap manager it turns out.

Crap or not, it's an example of how long term contracts can me torn up in a jiffy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Crap or not, it's an example of how long term contracts can me torn up in a jiffy.

you think our american custodians will be as flush with the cash when it comes to a settlement if they were to terminate his contract as Abramovich was?! not likely

if Liverpool don't win anything next year, there will be a minority who will call for the mans head. but long as there is progress and a challenge the vast majority will be happy for him to continue his brilliant work.

sorry to disappoint boggles.

even in your bias you must conceed that if it is zero again next summer, they will be large amounts of calls for his head.

you said the same last summer boggles :rolleyes:

don't hear any calls for his head here though.

Mr Alan wrote: »

if Liverpool don't win anything next year, there will be a minority who will call for the mans head. but long as there is progress and a challenge the vast majority will be happy for him to continue his brilliant work.

I for one will be calling for someones head if we dont win anything next season.

I for one will be calling for someones head if we dont win anything next season.

call for Boggles head, do us all a favour ;)

in fairness, we were miles behind in the PL when Rafa arrived, with less resources & less of a foundation to build on, somehow Rafa has bridged the gap and made brought us right up there with Utd to the extent that there is only a gee hair in it now.

while doing all this he totally restored our status as one of the most feared clubs in Europe and constantly doing well in the CL.

there is not a man in the world who would be better as Liverpool manager right now. I have no doubt about that at all.

of course it'd be great to win something, but as long as we improve & challenge i'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/06/24/rafael-benitez-seeks-to-recoup-cash-after-glen-johnson-deal-by-selling-alvaro-arbeloa-to-real-madrid-liverpool-fc-latest-100252-23963748/

Looks like Arbeloa leaving for 8-10 has been a bit wide of the mark. Apparently rafas holding out for a mere 5 million :(

Such a steal for madrid if that happens.

there is not a man in the world who would be better as Liverpool manager right now. I have no doubt about that at all.

Abso****inglutly
    of course it'd be great to win something, but as long as we improve & challenge i'll be happy.

I'm expecting a double, anyway. Carling Cup and the League :P
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/06/24/rafael-benitez-seeks-to-recoup-cash-after-glen-johnson-deal-by-selling-alvaro-arbeloa-to-real-madrid-liverpool-fc-latest-100252-23963748/

Looks like Arbeloa leaving for 8-10 has been a bit wide of the mark. Apparently rafas holding out for a mere 5 million :(

Such a steal for madrid if that happens.

There's doin's a transpiring there.

• Advertisement

that article was written by Prentice, i'm not saying its definately ****e, but he is definately full of ****e.

And you will quickly become the minority.

And you will quickly become the minority.

again, you said the same last year, and were wrong. you'd be wrong again imo.

again, you said the same last year, and were wrong. you'd be wrong again imo.

No I didn't.

What I did say was Liverpool did not have the personal to win the league and they needed to challenge, which they arguably did.

You honestly saying if Liverpool win zip again next season, the fans won't turn?

No I didn't.

What I did say was Liverpool did not have the personal to win the league and they needed to challenge, which they arguably did.

You honestly saying if Liverpool win zip again next season, the fans won't turn?

Sorry your argument is nonsense,
    The fans won't turn if say we come second again and run the leaders close, if we do well in the cups maybe do well in the champs league.

However if we get relegated, knocked out of the champs league due to rafa fighting the referees, and dropped from the domestic cups by non league teams, questions might have to be asked.

It's not black and white, so please stop posting this manure.

It's not black and white, so please stop posting this manure.

At the end of the day it is down to trophies. You either win one or you don't, that for me is black or white.

My point is the fans will turn, FFS they booed the team off at half time this season when they were top of the league.

At the end of the day it is down to trophies. You either win one or you don't, that for me is black or white.

My point is the fans will turn, FFS they booed the team off at half time this season when they were top of the league.

again a minority.

No I didn't.

you said on numerous occassions that the fans would turn on Rafa if there was a third trophyless campaign.

you said on numerous occassions that the fans would turn on Rafa if there was a third trophyless campaign.

No i didn't.

• Advertisement

football is about a hell of a lot more than trophies boggles. yours is the view of a spoiled rotten Utd fan who has been swamped in them the last couple of decades, your view would and will change when Utd go through a barren phase.

a minority of fans will always turn, some fans are arseholes. there is already an minuscule minority of fans that dont really want Rafa there, unfortunately there is idiots in all walks of life.

as for the boo-ing, wouldn't read too much into it, wasnt a "Rafa out" gesture, just one of frustration, similar to Utd fans boo-ing Fergusons subs on a couple of occassions this season, they weren't implying they wanted him sacked.

football is about a hell of a lot more than trophies boggles. yours in the view of a spoiled rotten Utd fan who has been swamped in them the last couple of decades, your view would and will change when Utd go through a barren phase.

Balls Alan, you know I was well alive when Liverpool were dominating everything and United were struggling.

Football is not about trophies when you are Fulham or Pompey, when you are Liverpool FC it is all about trophies Alan.

Balls Alan, you know I was well alive when Liverpool were dominating everything and United were struggling.

Football is not about trophies when you are Fulham or Pompey, when you are Liverpool FC it is all about trophies Alan.

first off, we both know you're 12 ;)

secondly, on trophies, overall yes Liverpool is about winning trophies, but when a club has been mis-managed at every level from ownership, to boardroom, to back room staff, to managers, to players for a couple of decades, it takes time to takes one perch back :) under Rafa Liverpool have regained their status as among the most feared clubs in Europe, something it hadn't been for donkeys years, we have also improved year in year out under him in the league, again, no reason to be unhappy....not winning the league yet is not something to be freaked about when we haven't for so long, he job is to get us back to where we were in our glorious past, even you could admit that he is most certainly on the right track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Ah I see some of us are getting hot under the collar again, I knew the quiet period on the soccer forum would end eventually.

Thanks to the 2 people who reported posts on this thread, it's a pity others did the usual and decided to comment on thread and accuse others of trolling. Do I really need to say this again? Report posts you have a problem with, if you decide to accuse another poster of trolling you risk infraction.

You all know better at this stage, so cop the fúck on.

And for the record, in the opinion of this moderator, on this occasion, Boggles is not trolling.

Thank you.

first off, we both know you're 12 ;)

secondly, on trophies, overall yes Liverpool is about winning trophies, but when a club has been mis-managed at every level from ownership, to boardroom, to back room staff, to managers, to players for a couple of decades, it takes time to takes one perch back :) under Rafa Liverpool have regained their status as among the most feared clubs in Europe, something it hadn't been for donkeys years, we have also improved year in year out under him in the league, again, no reason to be unhappy....not winning the league yet is not something to be freaked about when we haven't for so long, he job is to get us back to where we were in our glorious past, even you could admit that he is most certainly on the right track.

But trophies were still been won, I said the fans will turn, I never said I was of the same opinion of them.

It would appear Liverpool are on the right track, next season with a fit Arsenal and settled Chelsea will be the real test. Even with their problems this year the Arse got to 2 semis and Chelsea collected a trophy.

My point remains, Rafa is under intense pressure this season, to think anything else is naive in the extreme.

Of course if he wins the league (which he can), All Hail Lord Rafa and you can choose my sig for the next year Al. :pac:

Al, I'm sure it would be quite easy for you to dig up the relevant posts...ask Pighead for some help if you need...;)

I tend to agree with Boggles to an extent, there will be pressure on Rafa this year, particularly with United losing Ronaldo and Tevez (and certain other squad stalwarts nearing the end of their useful life), and if he doesn't deliver some silverware the adulation might start to wane. Not sure I'd say a majority will turn though.

• Advertisement

Al, I'm sure it would be quite easy for you to dig up the relevant posts...ask Pighead for some help if you need...;)

I tend to agree with Boggles to an extent, there will be pressure on Rafa this year, particularly with United losing Ronaldo and Tevez (and certain other squad stalwarts nearing the end of their useful life), and if he doesn't deliver some silverware the adulation might start to wane. Not sure I'd say a majority will turn though.

not my style TRO :)

oh, and i agree with boggles to an extent too, the dissenters and anti-rafa brigade will certainly be louder if we don't win a trophy next year...just don't think the majority will turn or he'll be forced out.

doesnt matter, i think we'll win at least one trophy next year anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Anyone think babel should be sold this summer, I really thought he'd be much better last season but has never lived up to his 11 million price tag. I've never been that impressed by him, but I know that he has had bursts of strength in many different areas.

If someone came in with an offer of 7 - 8 mill I think he should be sold.

babel would still be worth 8m odd next year, so i'd keep him for this year and see if he can earn a future with us.

Hey Boggles quick experiment.

So lets see.

Redzerog wrote:
    Boggles wrote:

Brass tacks though, if Liverpool end up empty handied again next season, the minority will want him out.

FYP

So that's one against.

Two?
    mike65 wrote: »
    Ah sure why wait - RAFA OUT!

I'm fairly sure that'd be three.
    PiE wrote: »

Can we say four.
    you think our american custodians will be as flush with the cash when it comes to a settlement if they were to terminate his contract as Abramovich was?! not likely

sorry to disappoint boggles.

Five.

And lets just say you can add me to the list to make it six.

Let's see who's in agreement.

Well the closest we can find would be

With the paramount word being "someones"
    Especially seeing as it was followed with.
    Mr Alan wrote:

Abso****inglutly

So if we even give you missingtime, in the space of time since you posted that nonsense, we have 6 agreeing, one against.

Not even a Fiana Fail press officer could argue that 16.66% is a majority.

So why don't you try something else to "unintentionally" stir something else up old boy.;)

But what if Rafa looses Masch and or Alonso?
    Same thing.

As Dennis said, it's as far from black and white as a rainbow.
    If UTD loose Ronaldo and Tevez, but buy Aguero and Ribery for instance.
    If Chelsea spend a fortune.
    If Citeh spend two fortunes.
    If Liverpool somehow (won't happen of course) go into administration, and we're docked points.

It's all in the future, so who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mcowhey

dude you must not know fianna fail well:p

Anyone think babel should be sold this summer, I really thought he'd be much better last season but has never lived up to his 11 million price tag. I've never been that impressed by him, but I know that he has had bursts of strength in many different areas.

If someone came in with an offer of 7 - 8 mill I think he should be sold.

If Babel is sold, Liverpool will be the loosers in the long run.
    I don't believe that Rafa wants to sell him, and if the new cash investment is true, I don't think he will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mcowhey

But what if Rafa looses Masch and or Alonso?
    Same thing.

As Dennis said, it's as far from black and white as a rainbow.
    If UTD loose Ronaldo and Tevez, but buy Aguero and Ribery for instance.
    If Chelsea spend a fortune.
    If Citeh spend two fortunes.
    If Liverpool somehow (won't happen of course) go into administration, and we're docked points.

i see what you're saying man its all ifs and buts but theres no if or but about Liverpool goin into administration.

There'd be a global whipround and that'd sort it

If Babel is sold, Liverpool will be the loosers in the long run.
    I don't believe that Rafa wants to sell him, and if the new cash investment is true, I don't think he will.

Jaysus Karma, I don't think I have ever met a more opptimistic fan than yourself.

You don't see any bad in any Liverpool player, and if you do you always pick on what good points you can find.

Thats not a dig by the way, but once and while you should have a go and cut lose on one of them. ;)

mcowhey wrote: »
    i see what you're saying man its all ifs and buts but theres no if or but about Liverpool goin into administration.

There'd be a global whipround and that'd sort it

If SOS ever get close to the Union take over, I'd be walking to work, cause my car would be sold to buy my share.:P

In the here and now United are weaker. Read the United superthread and you'll see a fair bit of worry about the club's chances of attracting the quality needed to replenish the squad.

There has been plenty of talk of United not being strong enough this coming season to successfully defend their title, a lot can happen between now and the end of the window and I'll revise my opinion as and when that happens, but my comment stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

babel would still be worth 8m odd next year, so i'd keep him for this year and see if he can earn a future with us.

agreed would really like him to make more of an impact on the 1st team, esp at the age of 22, just interested to see opinions also on why is it he's been allowed to loose confidence maybe a spell out on loan might do him well. We dont have many examples of young players coming up through the ranks, which I guess is why Dalglish is working with the youth.

Jaysus Karma, I don't think I have ever met a more opptimistic fan than yourself.

You don't see any bad in any Liverpool player, and if you do you always pick on what good points you can find.

Thats not a dig by the way, but once and while you should have a go and cut lose on one of them. ;)
    FANATIC
    fa⋅nat⋅ic  /fəˈnætɪk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [fuh-nat-ik]
    –noun 1. a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm or zeal, as in religion or politics

;)

Not always the case however.
    I freely admit I doubted Xabi last year, and lets just say Harry Kewel would soon be running in the opposit direction if I ever saw him in the street.

From a pure business point of view however, selling Babel wouldn't make sense.

We wouldn't get more than around £8,000,000 for him, so would record a loss, and having watched him from as long as I have, I know that barring injury, he'll be a very good player one day.
    Selling him now for him to come good and go on to be worth 2-3 times what we get for him, would mean Liverpool loose out.

P.S: Anyway, i'm a firm believer of supporting my team and all their players until such a time as they've proven they need to go.
    And then getting them out ASAP.

That's one of the reasons I'd hate to see the likes of Robben (spits on ground) in a red shirt.
    I'd hate to have to support someone I could never respect.

I take exception to that, I'm every bit as optimistic.

In the here and now United are weaker. Read the United superthread and you'll see a fair bit of worry about the club's chances of attracting the quality needed to replenish the squad.

There has been plenty of talk of United not being strong enough this coming season to successfully defend their title, a lot can happen between now and the end of the window and I'll revise my opinion as and when that happens, but my comment stands.

Fair enough, I can't see Rafa not flourishing anyway, so IMO it won't matter in the end.;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement