Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Where's Ardent, to pour some cold water our our sunny disposition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

mike65 wrote: »
    Where's Ardent, to pour some cold water our our sunny disposition?

Busy with his Rafa voodoo doll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I would just like reaffirm my allegance to liverpool and its rafa benitez after all it is the best system we have. For now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

We dont have many examples of young players coming up through the ranks, which I guess is why Dalglish is working with the youth.

We actually have a few in fairness, Insua, Pacheco, Nemeth, Spearing, Darby, Della Vale off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Mr Alan wrote: »
    We actually have a few in fairness, Insua, Pacheco, Nemeth, Spearing, Darby, Della Vale off the top of my head.

How many of those players do you think will make the Pool first team squad in the future? Genuine question, I only really know of Insua.

Big year for Nemeth.

Ye think he'll be sent on a short loan like at the start of last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Very optimistic myself about the coming season if we keepkey players fit we will go close. I see Madrid have ruled out signing villa, so the dream continues

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    How many of those players do you think will make the Pool first team squad in the future? Genuine question, I only really know of Insua.

i think Insua, Nemeth, Pacheco & Della Valle will all have good careers with Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Big year for Nemeth.

Ye think he'll be sent on a short loan like at the start of last season?

And hopefully come back without a broken jaw....

• Advertisement

The youngsters would be helped no end if Liverpool managed to stay in the domestos cups for more than 2 rounds, we are doing pretty poorly since 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I know I can name the full reserve team myself, and watch them play just seems to be something missing from our youth program. I've seen many many signings over the past 3 - 4 years but none seem to be breaking into the 1st team as regulars.

In my oppinion, of all the young talent, Nemeth, Pacheco, Dalle Valle, and Pepper have the best chance.

Spearing, Darby, Irwin, San Jose, Mendy, Bruna, and Bouzanis would be the next level.

Nemeth will hopefully get some game time this year.
    would have last season if he hadn't gotten injured so early.
    Pacheco will more than likely not feature porperly for another season.

Dalle Valle is immense, but young, and Pepper could be the next Gerrard.

I know I can name the full reserve team myself, and watch them play just seems to be something missing from our youth program. I've seen many many signings over the past 3 - 4 years but none seem to be breaking into the 1st team as regulars.

That's why Rafa wanted, and fought, so hard for more conrol over the youth set-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

In my oppinion, of all the young talent, Nemeth, Pacheco, Dalle Valle, and Pepper have the best chance.

Spearing, Darby, Irwin, San Jose, Mendy, Bruna, and Bouzanis would be the next level.

Nemeth will hopefully get some game time this year.
    would have last season if he hadn't gotten injured so early.
    Pacheco will more than likely not feature porperly for another season.

Dalle Valle is immense, but young, and Pepper could be the next Gerrard.

You left out Amoo and Kachinisky (probably spelt it wrong lol), who I would definitely have in a list of potentials

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

p_larkin99 wrote: »

Spearing won't, Darby maybe has a slightly better chance,
    Nemeth should but last season was a set back
    Pacheco will be a squad player at least, I reckon first 11 material.
    IF della valle can continue to develop he'll be first choice for many years to come.
    Insua is a dead cert.

then there is Irwin, San Jose, Kelly, Buchtmann and Bouzanis who for me look absolutely great - San Jose and Kelly especially at centre defense could really make it.
    Bouzanis is a ringer for Reina in every way.

And then there's some guys like Vince Weijl who again on his day is soo ****ing direct, and has plenty of quality - if that can be channeled he could be great. Bruna and Flora are both talented feckers but whether again that can be brought to a level of consistency is far from definate.

Ince's young lad is a great prospect too.

Amoo on the wings or up top again has pace too burn and could make the step up.

Adam Pepper and Andre Wisdom in the Centre of midfield could be a runner in a few years time aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I would agree with the general sentiment - Insua, Nemeth, Dalla Valle and Pacheco look like the picks of the bunch. I would add San Jose to that as well. David Amoo has come on leaps and bounds in the last year. He's so quick and strong and his technique and skill have improved loads.

You left out Amoo and Kachinisky (probably spelt it wrong lol), who I would definitely have in a list of potentials

Kacaniklic I assume you mean and yep he's a quality looking player - helps that people call him Kaca too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Bit of a forgotten man.
    With two years left on his contract, I'd say a loan is pretty likely again this season.
    Long-term if he doesn't manage to make the break through at Liverpool, it looks like he could be sold for some cash.
    Hammill focused on Anfield future

Hammill was part of the Liverpool team that lifted the FA Youth Cup in 2006
    Liverpool winger Adam Hammill sees his long-term future at Anfield despite reported interest from Bolton, Wolves and West Bromwich Albion.

The 21-year-old signed a three-year contract with the Reds last summer but went on to spend the season on loan at Blackpool and Barnsley.

"I'd love to go back and be around the first-team set-up," Hammill told BBC Radio Merseyside.

"I'm still learning and hopefully I'll be learning at Liverpool next year."

Hammill has spent the last two seasons on loan, gaining valuable first-team experience in the process and his spell at Oakwell last term saw him play a key role in Barnsley's escape from relegation.

"It's been really beneficial for me to go out and learn both aspects of the game, defensively and also going forward," Hammill said.

"I was in teams, which weren't doing to well so it was about tracking back with your man but then I was allowed to express myself going forward.

"Overall I've had a good season, I've learnt a lot and I can take that into next season," added Hammill.

Hammill remains open to the possibility of spending a third season on loan but admits an ideal scenario would see him in Rafa Benitez's first-team squad for the coming campaign.

"I'll go back in July and speak with the management. Whatever they think is best I'll obviously take them up on their offer.

"Being a local lad I'd love to get a taste (of the first-team) but if they think I need to go away for another six months or a year then obviously I'll do that," said Hammill.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8117072.stm

The youngsters would be helped no end if Liverpool managed to stay in the domestos cups for more than 2 rounds, we are doing pretty poorly since 2006.

Totally agree - one of my big hopes is that we go on a long run in the Carling Cup this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

don't rate dalle valle at all. Two I am most looking forward to would be David amoo and nathan ecleston both have pace to burn and play on the wings an area we are poor

• Advertisement

A different kettledrum of catfish but I see Cisse is being linked with Letos employers. Yep the deal is done
    Liverpool have accepted a bid of around £3m from Panathinaikos for Argentinian midfielder Sebastien Leto, according to reports in the Greek media tonight.

Leto spent last season on loan at Olympiakos after problems securing a work permit to play in Britain, a decision which angered Rafa Benitez last summer.

The boss said “I cannot understand how an Argentinian player who has been in the squad for the Olympic games and has different coaches and managers talking about how good he is, who has been playing in the Champions League and playing for a club like Liverpool (cannot get a work permit).”

Leto was signed from Lanus for £1.85m in summer 2007, he made a couple of pre-season appearances and played in the Champions League qualifier against Toulouse but problems with his passport saw him only play in the reserves for the whole of his first season in England. He since gained an Italian passport but was rejected a work permit.

Meanwhile, Olympiakos, who Leto made 22 appearances for last season, are interested in signing another former Liverpool left winger, Mark Gonzalez from Real Betis.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Kacaniklic I assume you mean and yep he's a quality looking player - helps that people call him Kaca too.

Thats him lol at my spelling
    mayordenis wrote: »
    then there is Irwin, San Jose, Kelly, Buchtmann and Bouzanis who for me look absolutely great - San Jose and Kelly especially at centre defense could really make it.
    Bouzanis is a ringer for Reina in every way.

TBH I don't think San Jose or Kelly have what it takes. Kelly is a bit clumsy and very slow. On first impressions, you'd think he was a Carra deciple, but he can't read the game well, and reacts rather than proacts. He's big, thats about it.

San Jose - hmm, have to see a bit more of him, but he looks a little lost at times.

Irwin and Buchtmann are both class, and have real potential if they keep it up, and Bouzanis seems to have what it takes to be a quality stopper.

don't rate dalle valle at all.

really? he has just about everything you'd want in a striker. Not as blisteringly quick as Amoo or Ecclestone, but better than them both in pretty much every other department - movement, finishing, heading, intelligence.
    Both him and Nemeth remind me of fowler (though they are both different players, it's just a vibe i get from them)

re:Darby, supposedly one of the reasons Rafa wanted such an overhaul at the academy was because he wanted Darby to play a part this year, but physically, he has made no development in bulking up as the staff at the academy didn't do the nescessary work with him, which infuriated Rafa.

Good news on the Leto deal - nice to get some money in without weakening the squad. Saw some talk that there might be a 50% sell-on clause in the deal as well, which would be nice.

Darby = Steve Finnan = will probably be reliable backup (at least him and Degen between them should be)

Green shades are off but Steve Finnan was not a "reliable backup" he was an exceptional player for liverpool in every game.

Tell me I miss-read that.

Green shades are off but Steve Finnan was not a "reliable backup" he was an exceptional player for liverpool in every game.

Tell me I miss-read that.

i just meant he's a solid all round full-back. Not that he's as good as Finnan.

Darby <<<<<< Steve Finnan = will probably be reliable backup (at least him and Degen between them should be)

FYP

Finnan = Legend. Him and Rob Jones, best two right fulls we've had IMO

FYP

Agreed. See above post.

Rob Jones >>>>>>>>> Finnan though

• Advertisement

FYP

+1,000,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Boggles wrote: »
    Crap or not, it's an example of how long term contracts can me torn up in a jiffy.

I said it last summer and I'll say it again, I can see rafa at Liverpool for years to come ala Ferguson,he's done all the legwork to date,he's been patient and has this squad on the brink of great things imo.
    Obv i'm biased but I feel it's our time now,it's all in place, our players, our manager,he's gone about his business relatively quietly and I believe he thinks we'll win the league next year.
    He'll walk within 2 years if we don't imo.
    I think he's one of the best things to ever happen to Liverpool football club,and every fan the world over should be grateful.

In Rafa we trust!

To give Boggles some slack, he is no doubt thinking about how managers get little enough time from the board these days. Fergie would never have survived to do what he's done had the game been as impatient back then.

True Mike, Utd supporters were a very patient bunch back then. 26 years waiting was a long long wait to win the league.

Ouch! :p Thats not a quip I'm too comfy with these days. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,737 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

To give Boggles some slack, he is no doubt thinking about how managers get little enough time from the board these days. Fergie would never have survived to do what he's done had the game been as impatient back then.

He was as good as gone.

Even more remarkable when you consider 100% of the fans wanted him gone aswell.

with this talk, its worth remembering Rafa has won the Champions League & FA Cup already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭mada999

It would appear Liverpool are on the right track, next season with a fit Arsenal and settled Chelsea will be the real test. Even with their problems this year the Arse got to 2 semis and Chelsea collected a trophy.

too true - it could be hard next season....but tbh i'd be more worried if i was a utd fan with Ronaldo and Tevez missing... ;)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    with this talk, its worth remembering Rafa has won the Champions League & FA Cup already.

Thats part of his problem (if u could call it that), he peaked too soon.

• Advertisement

mada999 wrote: »
    too true - it could be hard next season....but tbh i'd be more worried if i was a utd fan with Ronaldo and Tevez missing... ;)

Not really worried to be honest, wouldn't be half surprised if United took a hit next season and gave the youth a chance, especially with the silly money season about.

Although who was it that said you don't win anything with kids? :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If the transfer window was closing now, as opposed to opening in a week, and the season started, then as things stand I would expect Liverpool to win the league or maybe come second only to Chelsea.

A lot can happen over the course of silly season though. Losing Masch/Alonso or worse, both, would be a total game changer as far as our squad is concerned I think.

It is hard to compare relative positions though at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Thats part of his problem (if u could call it that), he peaked too soon.

He hasn't peaked yet my good man!

Mike,why are you cutting boggles slack?:pac:

I know, what I meant to do was give him enough rope but I mis-read the manual. :o

Boggles is sound.

Fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12040_5399678,00.html

Tevez is considering offers from three clubs.

Please let one of them be Liverpool.

• Advertisement

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12040_5399678,00.html

Tevez is considering offers from three clubs.

Please let one of them be Liverpool.

No. We have better uses for 25 million pounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

No. We have better uses for 25 million pounds.
    Name two realistic targets, or less, other then David Silva who'll probably stay in Spain.

Name two realistic targets, or less, other then David Silva who'll probably stay in Spain.

Could we tempt Van Persie with that kind of money? :pac:

i ****ing love Van Persie, smashing player. but his fitness rules him out imo.

I want someone who will play on the left or right wing. Silva would obviously fit the bill, but since i'm not allowed pick him . . .
    Suarez, Lavezzi, Turan, Young. My knowledge of European football is quite limited and i've seen very little of those first 3 names, though they seem to be very highly rated.

What i do know is that buying Tevez would involve us either changing our system that has become very effective (something i'm not comfortable with) or trying to fit square pegs (Tevez) into round holes (left wing). Tevez is a fine player, but with Kuyt on the right i maintain that we need genuine width on one side. Something a bit different. Tevez isn't that in my opinion

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement