Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

mayordenis wrote: »
    Could we tempt Van Persie with that kind of money? :pac:

He'd be pppperfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i ****ing love Van Persie, smashing player. but his fitness rules him out imo.

according the newspapers he's about to sign a new contract

and dont ask me to look for the source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Suarez, Lavezzi, Turan, Young. My knowledge of European football is quite limited and i've seen very little of those first 3 names, though they seem to be very highly rated.

Young would be 50m imo, Villa dont have to sell, in fact if they did the fans would tear up VP. the rest are all unproven, Tevez at 25 is a bargain, wont happen though. would imagine the third club is Inter or Real.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I would actually take wesley sniejder over Tevez aswell saying that I'd love to have Tev on board - I just think some like sneijder could unlock defenses whereas teves is some sort of gerrard/kuyt half breed.

Young would be 50m imo, Villa dont have to sell, in fact if they did the fans would tear up VP. the rest are all unproven, Tevez at 25 is a bargain, wont happen though. would imagine the third club is Inter or Real.

He is not a bargain at 25million. The only player i can see him replacing in our eleven is Kuyt. And while i think he's better than Dirk, he's not by that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,737 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

He is not a bargain at 25million. The only player i can see him replacing in our eleven is Kuyt. And while i think he's better than Dirk, he's not by that much.

If Liverpool had Tevez last season they would have won the league, 25 million is well worth it.

Boggles wrote: »
    If Liverpool had Tevez last season they would have won the league, 25 million is well worth it.

See! Boggles speaketh the sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

somthing going one between ye tonight

Himself and Masch are mercenaries of the highest order though.

Which is a pity, because both of them would run in front of traffic for the cause.

maybe we would have, but would that have meant Kuyt out of the team? He scored so many crucial goals last season. Or Riera out of the team? He gave us great balance and width even when he wasn't playing well. And he retains the ball excellently.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »

They are one. There's going to be a fight club/usual suspects twist. I sense it coming

maybe we would have, but would that have meant Kuyt out of the team? He scored so many crucial goals last season. Or Riera out of the team? He gave us great balance and width even when he wasn't playing well. And he retains the ball excellently.

How many times were Gerrard and Torres out?

Kuyt was your best player last season, Rafa would not have dropped him if Messi was out there to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Tevez is well worth the £25m as he can provide more then adequate cover right across the top attacking four if any are injured, and if we were indeed in for him Rafa would have an idea in mind to fit him into the starting eleven without upsetting Torres/Gerrard.

And if we lose Masch or Alonso then that partnership could be ****ed anyway, unless we get a miracle replacement or Lucas steps up.

Headshot wrote: »

It's not ghay if it is in the closed season. :pac:

Himself and Masch are mercenaries of the highest order though.

Which is a pity, because both of them would run in front of traffic for the cause.

dont think either is a mercenary tbh.

masch's comments yesterday were actually fine when you viewed em all, talked about how relieved he was at Rafa signing a new deal with Liverpool. and how he is happy there. but that its a compliment to be linked with clubs like barca or real, would expect that from any player tbh and i'm sure it is an honour.

tevez would've signed for Utd at any point over the last two years if they didnt try and play hard ball and drop him unfairly for berba.

Kuyt was your best player last season, Rafa would not have dropped him if Messi was out there to be honest.
    Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Tevez is well worth the £25m as he can provide more then adequate cover right across the top attacking four if any are injured, and if we were indeed in for him Rafa would have an idea in mind to fit him into the starting eleven without upsetting Torres/Gerrard.

And if we lose Masch or Alonso then that partnership could be ****ed anyway, unless we get a miracle replacement or Lucas steps up.

I don't disagree with any of this. I'd love Tevez here in a perfect world. But we can't afford to spend that kind of money on backup. Spend it on a top winger if we can find one and let Benny be the excellent backup across the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

They started 14 games together.

Edit: Also, in relation to the £25,000,000 ish player instead of Tevez.
    I'd take the Real fire sale value Huntelaar, that you'd probably get for £18,000,000 at the moment TBH.

dont think either is a mercenary tbh.

masch's comments yesterday were actually fine when you viewed em all, talked about how relieved he was at Rafa signing a new deal with Liverpool. and how he is happy there. but that its a compliment to be linked with clubs like barca or real, would expect that from any player tbh and i'm sure it is an honour.

Balls Alan, his agent decided to have a a meeting with Barca off his own back?
    tevez would've signed for Utd at any point over the last two years if they didnt try and play hard ball and drop him unfairly for berba.

Pure Cash. Nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

tevez would not sign as a backup.

it would mean changing the formation and moving gerrard out of that free role - why would you do this when he and torres link so well together - its just about getting a full injury free season out of them both.

• Advertisement

They started 14 games together.

Edit: Also, in relation to the £25,000,000 ish player instead of Tevez.
    I'd take the Real fire sale value Huntelaar, that you'd probably get for £18,000,000 at the moment TBH.

In a heartbeat, type of guy that would turn around the 11 draws.

Wud love him at United.

I can't even begin to comprehend where Huntelaar would fit in. The guy offers nothing outside the box and we're not going to push Torres out wide for him. I could see him at Utd all right cos they've a gap for a goalscorer like him. I doubt he wants to be backup here

I can't even begin to comprehend where Huntelaar would fit in. The guy offers nothing outside the box and we're not going to push Torres out wide for him. I could see him at Utd all right cos they've a gap for a goalscorer like him. I doubt he wants to be backup here

Analyse the 11 draws Liverpool had this season, it is not outside the box where the problem was.

Karma can testify more for this fella, but by Jesus can he finish.

The key to Liverpools success is to stop worrying about where Gerrard will play.

Analyse the 11 draws Liverpool had this season, it is not outside the box where the problem was.

Karma can testify more for this fella, but by Jesus can he finish.

The key to Liverpools success is to stop worrying about where Gerrard will play.

I've seen him play i know he can finish. It's torres, not gerrard i'm worried about. Torres is not at his best dropping deep like Villa or Rooney - he needs to be right up top imo. I can't see him and Huntelaar working.

Huntelaar reminds me more of Fowler than any player I've seen play in a long time.
    He's almost as clinical a finisher (damn does he score!!!), but it's his movement and ability to bring other players into the game that sets him apart.

He's just a born finisher, and I think him with Torres, or Rooney for that matter, would be terrifying.

Put it to you this way.

In Holland (For PSV/De Graafschap/AGOVV/Heerenveen/Ajax) he played 183 games, and scored 135 goals!
    135/183, I mean come on like!!!
    When you take out his stints at PSV and De Graafschap (He was a kid and only had one game off the bench for PSV and one start at De Graafschap with eight appearances from the bench) He scored 135 in 173 games as a starter.

Before all the usual "Yeah but that's Holland" points are made, For Real Madrid, he's scored 8 in 20 games, and for Holland he's scored 13 in 23.

The only reason that Real are looking to sell, is that he's not a "Galactico" and they can only register 25 players for the season, and with Ronaldo and Kaka, will have 27, not including any future signings.

I've seen him play a few times, in the Amstrdam Arena, and he would be an incredible player.
    For a Dutch counterpart, think Berkamp crossed with Van Nistlerooy.
    He was involved with everything Ajax were doing.

No offence Boggles, but I'd hate to see him at UTD.:P

Plus.
    Nobody can score a bicycle kick like Klass!

I've seen him play i know he can finish. It's torres, not gerrard i'm worried about. Torres is not at his best dropping deep like Villa or Rooney - he needs to be right up top imo. I can't see him and Huntelaar working.

I think that Boggles was just reffering to that fact that I used to watch Ajax regularly when living in Holland.
    Huntelaar will score, constantly, wherever he goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Huntelaar imo is overrateed. Top class finisher, after that, his game is found wanting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Dont want or need Tevez in my oppinion. I remember seeing Huntelaar waaaay back think it was at an Ireland game and he scored this little chiped goal (think they bet us 4-0 ) and I thought there was something a bit special about him. If we could pick him up between 15-18 million id seriously think about it.

Sneijder always seems to play better through the middle so not sure about him on the wing. Though depending on how cheap the Real Madrid sale is I wonder would 25 million get you Van der vaart and Sneijder....

Van der vaart can play on the wing aswell cant he?

PHB wrote: »
    Huntelaar imo is overrateed. Top class finisher, after that, his game is found wanting

When as a striker, you score an average of a goal every 1.4 games, for six different clubs, in two different countrys, and your national side, at the top level of the game, then unless you're considered the second coming of Xenu himself, I don't think you can be overated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I have to agree with Karmafaerie on the Huntelaar debate. I've seen this lad in action several times and he has the quality we need at Anfield. It would be a travesty to see him in a Spurs jersey next season. Fcuking good signing for them though or anyone for that matter.

And the firesale at Real could see some very good deals. If Rafa has the money to fund one big summer signing, I would make a double-barreled offer for Sneijder and Klaas.

I would love to see Klass at Anfield. He would turn those draws into victories. Instead of the option of bringing on David N'Gog (nothing against the lad, as I feel he's one for the future) but he's no game changer. How do you think the opposition would react to the image of Klass Jan Huntelaar coming off the bench with the scores 0-0 after 75 minutes and them having tired legs?

PHB wrote: »

I agree with this
    aaronh007 wrote: »

I would love to see Klass at Anfield. He would turn those draws into victories. Instead of the option of bringing on David N'Gog (nothing against the lad, as I feel he's one for the future) but he's no game changer. How do you think the opposition would react to the image of Klass Jan Huntelaar coming off the bench with the scores 0-0 after 75 minutes and them having tired legs?

More importantly, how would Huntelaar react to being just an impact sub?
    Tevez and Huntelaar would both be good additions to our squad, no doubt about it. And in the unlikely event that we have enough money for a top winger/attacking midfielder and an expensive striker who won't start every game for us, then i'd be happy with signing them.
    But more realistically, and Rafa has hinted at this himself, we've enough for one more big signing. I would trust Rafa with my life, but if that player isn't a wide player i'll be asking serious questions.

• Advertisement

But more realistically, and Rafa has hinted at this himself, we've enough for one more big signing. I would trust Rafa with my life, but if that player isn't a wide player i'll be asking serious questions.

Rafa said we've enough money for one big signing before having to sell.

That doesn't take into account any cash generated from Arbeloa, Dossena, Vornin, Leto etc...

Or if we have to sell Xabi or Masch, which obviously we all hope we don't have to.

Liverpool will make more than 2 signings this summer IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Real offer 5 million euro for Arby! I see he and Rafa share the same agent so communication shouldn't be an issue.

mike65 wrote: »
    Real offer 5 million euro for Arby! I see he and Rafa share the same agent so communication shouldn't be an issue.

One year left on his contract or not, fu€k that!

Rafa said we've enough money for one big signing before having to sell.

That doesn't take into account any cash generated from Arbeloa, Dossena, Vornin, Leto etc...

Or if we have to sell Xabi or Masch, which obviously we all hope we don't have to.

Liverpool will make more than 2 signings this summer IMO.

At the start of the summer, and i haven't changed my mind, my priorities were:

1. A Winger. Any winger, but a good one.
    2. A Right Back (Done and dusted it seems)
    3. A 4th Central Midfielder
    4. Someone who can provide backup up front and on both wings and possibly for Gerrard
    5. 4th Choice CB if Rafa doesn't feel San jose or Kelly are up top it.

1 & 2 are essentials. 3 is imo very important as we're quite light in that area.
    4 would be very nice, but we do have Babel and N'Gog who i have faith in as well as Nemeth and Pacheco coming through hopefully. 5 only if they are cheap and experienced (eg: Distin)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

At the start of the summer, and i haven't changed my mind, my priorities were:

1. A Winger. Any winger, but a good one.
    2. A Right Back (Done and dusted it seems)
    3. A 4th Central Midfielder
    4. Someone who can provide backup up front and on both wings and possibly for Gerrard
    5. 4th Choice CB if Rafa doesn't feel San jose or Kelly are up top it.

1 & 2 are essentials. 3 is imo very important as we're quite light in that area.
    4 would be very nice, but we do have Babel and N'Gog who i have faith in as well as Nemeth and Pacheco coming through hopefully. 5 only if they are cheap and experienced (eg: Distin)

Yep I'd agree with that.

Right Back - Done, Only sign Arbeloa to a new deal and end all the speculation.

Attacking midfielder of suitable class - still waiting.

Striker backup - of a good level to cover torres absences

Centre Mid Cover - Not very necessary if Spearing/Plessis step up to the plate.

4th Choice CB may not be required if San Jose/Kelly are up to the standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

IMO San Jose & Kelly are NOT up to Prem standard. San Jose is closer to the mark than Kelly, but both still need work.

In fact, I'm not sure if Kelly will be still at Liverpool unless he improves considerably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

slingerz wrote: »

Striker backup - of a good level to cover torres absences

I know one, he was a leading premiership striker only 26 yr old. Very good in the air and is a bargain for someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

who's that now?

IMO San Jose & Kelly are NOT up to Prem standard. San Jose is closer to the mark than Kelly, but both still need work.

In fact, I'm not sure if Kelly will be still at Liverpool unless he improves considerably.

Kelly seems to be very highly rated by Rafa and has already made his (very brief) debut in the champions league.
    I think they both have a shot here, and would like to see one of them loaned out for the season to a championship side. Not League one.

I think either Spearing or Plessis, Gulacsi, Nemeth and possibly Darby should also be sent on loan. It will free up space in our bloated reserve squad.

Bouzanis

Mendy
    San Jose/Kelly
    Ayala
    Buchtmann

Palsson
    Irwin

Amoo
    Bruna/Pacheco
    Weijl/Kaka

Dalla Valle/Ecclestone

That’s a good looking reserve squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

who's that now?

;) kevin doyle? Yeah, he's liverpool standard alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

lol no thanks...

Another hint? scored 18 goals last season... kevin doyle!

Flame suit on.

Another hint? scored 18 goals last season... kevin doyle!

Flame suit on.

He's decent, and would be a decent squad player, but to be honest i think N'Gog will be better than him

N'Gog has scored a total of 3 goals for Liverpool! not meaning to sound pessimistic about his last performances, but they sort of stand out.

N'Gog has scored a total of 3 goals for Liverpool! not meaning to sound pessimistic about his last performances, but they sort of stand out.

I can’t remember the exact stat, but I believe his goals/minutes ratio is as good as anyone in our team. I’m basing my faith in him on his performances for France U-21’s I’ve seen (where he looks one of their most dangerous players), his cameos for us and his performance in one of the few games he’s started for us (against Sunderland) where he showed all his abilities (great pace, good skill and awareness, good finishing, and good physique although he needs to get stronger).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

3 goals in 589 mins of play, which equates to 6 and half full games, or a goal every 196 mins. Not bad when a lot of those minutes were in garbage time in games where the match was already over.

I agree he's a talent for the future, but I think that future is 3 + seasons away. Someone else needs to fill that space, and IMO not Voronin. I think Doyle would work very well getting balls in from Johnston.

Please don't tell me we're going to have the same crap about Doyle from last week?!!:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Just got a reply from my letter to RBS:

Thank you for your email expressing concern about RBS' banking arrangements with Liverpool FC and it current owners. We are aware of the strength of feeling of a number of fans on this matter and have corresponded with many during the course of the past year or so.

Perhaps I can start by putting RBS relationship with Liverpool FC in context. RBS is the main banker to the Club including all of its operating accounts, cash management, online banking, automated payments, and credit card processing to facilitate ticket sales and retail merchandising. We also provide a credit facility to support the Club’s working capital requirements and a letter of credit facility to facilitate the purchase of players from non-Premiership Clubs, along with a loan facility for design, planning and other preparatory work for the proposed new stadium at Stanley Park. We have set out to establish a long term relationship with the Club, and we look forward to this continuing for many years to come.

We also lent money to the Club’s parent, Kop Football Limited, so that it could repay debt which was on the balance sheet of the Club at the time of its acquisition by George Gillett and Tom Hicks. This is the only portion of Kop Football’s bank debt for which the Club is legally responsible. We took great care when making our original loan in early 2007 and when refinancing it last January to distinguish between obligations of the Club, primarily those outlined above, and obligations of its parent company, the latter being secured by personal guarantees and collateral from the owners and a pledge of the shares they own in the Club. As a result the Club does not suffer the burden of debt implied by a lot of the recent press reports and, in our view and that of the executive management of the Club, it is financially healthy and able to service comfortably its debt obligations from cash flow generated by its playing and commercial activities. It is in our commercial interest to support the Club in the manner described above so that it can continue to perform successfully on and off the pitch.

As far as the Government is concerned, they have been very clear that they do not wish to exercise day to day control over RBS or make commercial decisions for us. Indeed they set up an independent body, UKFI, to oversee the Government’s shareholding in RBS, so matters such as strategy and governance can be agreed, while they leave commercially related matters to us.

RBS attaches a great deal of value to being associated with Liverpool FC. I hope my comments reassures you as to the strength and depth of our relationship with the Club and that we will endeavour to contribute to its long term health and success.

Kind Regards,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

In Holland (For PSV/De Graafschap/AGOVV/Heerenveen/Ajax) he played 183 games, and scored 135 goals!
    135/183, I mean come on like!!!
    When you take out his stints at PSV and De Graafschap (He was a kid and only had one game off the bench for PSV and one start at De Graafschap with eight appearances from the bench) He scored 135 in 173 games as a starter.

Before all the usual "Yeah but that's Holland" points are made, For Real Madrid, he's scored 8 in 20 games, and for Holland he's scored 13 in 23.

you cannot ignore "thats holland" though, stats like that are almost as good as youtube videos in truth

*in his last 4 seasons in holland kuyt scored 106 goals in 162 games
    *kezman scored 126 goals in 170 games at psv
    *michael owen had a similiar record at real
    *peter crouch and milan baros had similiar records in their first 20 international games

i am not saying huntelaar wouldn't do well in england, me might but then again he might not, the most telling thing for me though is that madrid want to get rid.........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement