Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Please don't tell me we're going to have the same crap about Doyle from last week?!!:(

Yeah sorry ! have a dream with him playing for pool and scoring 18 goals against the lower league teams.. Damn my dreams..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,737 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i am not saying huntelaar wouldn't do well in england, me might but then again he might not, the most telling thing for me though is that madrid want to get rid.........

To be fair that tells us nothing, those loonbags and their ideas reflect in no way the players abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

To put the Doyle "crap" from last week into context, I don't think anyone was saying that Rafa should go out all guns blazing to sign him, it was more a case of 'if there's plenty of money available, and all other positions were sorted, then 5m on him wouldn't be so bad - provided money wasn't tight' .

Anyway it's been agreed he's not a target! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Dub13 wrote: »
    Just got a reply from my letter to RBS:

Thank you for your email expressing concern about RBS' banking arrangements with Liverpool FC and it current owners. We are aware of the strength of feeling of a number of fans on this matter and have corresponded with many during the course of the past year or so.

Perhaps I can start by putting RBS relationship with Liverpool FC in context. RBS is the main banker to the Club including all of its operating accounts, cash management, online banking, automated payments, and credit card processing to facilitate ticket sales and retail merchandising. We also provide a credit facility to support the Club’s working capital requirements and a letter of credit facility to facilitate the purchase of players from non-Premiership Clubs, along with a loan facility for design, planning and other preparatory work for the proposed new stadium at Stanley Park. We have set out to establish a long term relationship with the Club, and we look forward to this continuing for many years to come.

We also lent money to the Club’s parent, Kop Football Limited, so that it could repay debt which was on the balance sheet of the Club at the time of its acquisition by George Gillett and Tom Hicks. This is the only portion of Kop Football’s bank debt for which the Club is legally responsible. We took great care when making our original loan in early 2007 and when refinancing it last January to distinguish between obligations of the Club, primarily those outlined above, and obligations of its parent company, the latter being secured by personal guarantees and collateral from the owners and a pledge of the shares they own in the Club. As a result the Club does not suffer the burden of debt implied by a lot of the recent press reports and, in our view and that of the executive management of the Club, it is financially healthy and able to service comfortably its debt obligations from cash flow generated by its playing and commercial activities. It is in our commercial interest to support the Club in the manner described above so that it can continue to perform successfully on and off the pitch.

As far as the Government is concerned, they have been very clear that they do not wish to exercise day to day control over RBS or make commercial decisions for us. Indeed they set up an independent body, UKFI, to oversee the Government’s shareholding in RBS, so matters such as strategy and governance can be agreed, while they leave commercially related matters to us.

RBS attaches a great deal of value to being associated with Liverpool FC. I hope my comments reassures you as to the strength and depth of our relationship with the Club and that we will endeavour to contribute to its long term health and success.

Kind Regards,

Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Liverpool are set to make a massive bid to bring Spain international David Villa to Anfield.

According to Spanish radio reports, Liverpool's finances seem to have improved after co-owner George Gillett agreed to sell the NHL's Montreal Canadiens to the Molson family.

The deal to sell the NHL's most successful team ever is worth a reported US$550 million (£330 million).

The deal could free up funds to make a massive bid for Villa and at the same time send a statement of intent to their rivals.

Villa has repeatedly stated that he would like to stay in Spain but with his friend Fernando Torres playing at Anfield, it could ease his move to England.

Liverpool also have a sizable Spanish contingent in Albert Riera, Pepe Reina, Xabi Alonso and Alvaro Arbeloa.

Acording to Marca, both Barcelona and Real Madrid are locked in a battle to sign the former Zaragoza striker and Liverpool look to join the party.

It is now purely down to the player and with Torres in Villa's ear it may not be so far fetched that Villa indeed becomes a Liverpool player.

Talks have been ongoing for several months and, despite reports of interest from Manchester United, it is understood that there are just a few final details to resolve before an announcement is made.

http://www.espnstar.com/football/premier-league/news/detail/item286486/Liverpool-to-make-shock-Villa-bid/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Everything i've said before with regards Tevez and square pegs and round holes goes out the window when it comes to David Villa. Love him here.

Please buy him not Doyle!! LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Everything i've said before with regards Tevez and square pegs and round holes goes out the window when it comes to David Villa.
    Why?

rossie1977 wrote: »
    you cannot ignore "thats holland" though, stats like that are almost as good as youtube videos in truth

*in his last 4 seasons in holland kuyt scored 106 goals in 162 games
    *kezman scored 126 goals in 170 games at psv
    *michael owen had a similiar record at real
    *peter crouch and milan baros had similiar records in their first 20 international games

i am not saying huntelaar wouldn't do well in england, me might but then again he might not, the most telling thing for me though is that madrid want to get rid.........

Madrid have to get rid of players.

You can only register 25 players.
    They have 27 with the intention of buying more.
    Real want big name players, who sell jerseys.
    Klass is a quiet spoken dutch lad, who looks a bit gawmey!

Guess what Rossie.

RVN scored lots of goals in Holland.
    As did Bergkamp.
    So did Kluivert
    etc...

Just cause Kuyt didn't score a million goals, and in his whole 25 games for Chelsea, at a time when they were changing half the squad every year, Kezman didn't break the net, doesn't write off the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

PiE wrote: »
    Why?

because he's that good. He might be 'move Gerrard to the wing' good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

not based on his performance last night! but it would be an amazing signing...

would have preferred a winger but the way riera has been playing for the national team he could be fine for next season<br />

Gerrard--Villa--Riera
    Torres

or even

Kuyt--Villa--Gerrard
    Torres

would be fairly amazing, with Kuyt/Riera, Babel and Yossi all able to come off the bench...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Eire-Dearg, that story is just a rewrite of the one I quoted yesterday and dismissed as tosh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

PiE wrote: »
    Why?

Because Villa >>>>>>>> Tevez.

My god I would dance for days if we signed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

mike65 wrote: »
    Eire-Dearg, that story is just a rewrite of the one I quoted yesterday and dismissed as tosh.
    Didn't see that Mike, apologies.

Faster than a speeding train this thread! :) Still who knows it could be true but really I doubt it and if it were true Villa is crap anyway :p That said his performace last night might knock a few million off the price as Real/Barca get cold feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

My guess is Gerrard would be delighted if we signed a player of Villa's or Huntelaar's quality.

There are enough games in a season across all competitions for 3 top-class strikers to all get their share.

4-4-2 against the teams who defend for 90mins would be a good option.

G&T were missing a lot last season (certainly as a starting partnership in the league) - world-class alternative was badly needed in some games.

My guess is Gerrard would be delighted if we signed a player of Villa's or Huntelaar's quality.

There are enough games in a season across all competitions for 3 top-class strikers to all get their share.

4-4-2 against the teams who defend for 90mins would be a good option.

G&T were missing a lot last season (certainly as a starting partnership in the league) - world-class alternative was badly needed in some games.

Sorry, all I can think of is

"G & T.
    They're dynamite.
    G & T.
    Gonna win the fight."

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

TBF, I rather we signed a top quality attacker who can play in variety of positions be it left wing, right wing, attacking midfielder or second striker than get David Villa.

Arda Turan
    Luis Suarez
    David Silva

plus Yuri Zhirkov(massive fan of his though he is a pure left sided player) :P

All fit that bill of player we need and all players we have been linked to some degree over the last month or two...

Before you get started at me. Yes. Villa can play in different positions. But naturally he is a seond striker/striker and is clearly not worth throwing him out on the wings. His worst time at Valencia was they had to play him out there due to injuries. We have Gerrard and Torres. Arguably the most dangerous front pair duo in world football and have settled on a formation which clearly tailors Rafa's philosphy and style plus gets the best out of key players be it in defence or attack yet people want to take a risk when we are so close to winning the title.

Bringing in Villa. Would meaning Gerrard dropping back into CM. The lad is not really a CM any more and as admitted over this last season that he prefers playing up beside Torres now and loves it there as it gives him more freedom. I certainly do not want to change the formation of the team. We cannot risk possibly having to wait a season or more for us to get to used to play 4-4-2 and Villa settling in or whatever.

Also you ask any Spainish person who has a clue about football, and majority will tell you Torres and Villa as a partnership doesn't work and damn sure doesn't get the best out of either player. I totally agree with that.

If by some miracle we did manage to get him, I wouldn't be disappointed as I love Villa as a player and it would be a real scalp to get him.

But as Rafa said recently in his press conference last week, we need 1 or 2 players. Not to overhaul the team be it by bringing in players, changing formation.... but to just tinker with the squad a little and add real quality to the starting XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Sorry, all I can think of is

"G & T.
    They're dynamite.
    G & T.
    Gonna win the fight."

The 'Gin & Tonic' of European football....

Or with Villa

The 'Vodka & Tonic' of European football lol

...yes, my brain is mush at the mo.... :S

Would absolutely LOVE Villa to sign - as far fetched as it sounds, it would be fantastic.

Going for a win against defensive sides requires the 2 up top IMO, something we lacked last season for 'those' draws... (yes, we can do the whole kean & torres thing, but that just didn't click). Villa & Torres however.....

I would have that sorted as a pseudo 4-3-3, or if you like, 4-1-2-1-2

.............Masch/Alonso................
    Kuyt/Yossi..................Rieira/babel

...............Gerrard..................
    .......Torres...........Villa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Confirmation of the Leto sale. £3m is a nice bit of business. Best of luck in Greece along with Cisse:)

So Panathikos will most likely have Leto and Cisse, while Galatasaray have Kewell and Baros. Who would have predicted that a few years ago?

Really does sound like Arby will be off. I don't think we're going to get a great price for him, especially considering the other prices Real have paid. I wonder if there is any chance some other Spanish team might be interested in him given Real's reported €5m bid?

Didn't realise there would be an a 3rd/4th play-off in the Confederations Cup -
    utterly meaningless - fingers crossed Nando and Xabi aren't involved. Pepe probably in with a decent shout of being in goal for this I would presume. Tough to know whether Reira and Arbeloa will feature.
    £3million bid accepted for Sebastian Leto - Liverpool FC latest
    Jun 25 2009 by David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

RAFAEL BENITEZ is hoping for a cash boost to his transfer coffers, after accepting a £3m bid from Panathinaikos for Sebastian Leto.

With Alvaro Arbeloa also set to make a decision on his future as soon as Spain's Confederations Cup campaign finishes on Sunday, Benitez's transfer fund could be boosted by £8m over the weekend.

Winger Leto says he is “90 percent” certain he will play his football at Panathinaikos next season.

The Argentine spent last season on loan at Greek champions Olympiakos, but fell out with coach Erneste Valverde during his time there.

“I am very close to joining Panathinaikos,” he said.

“There are negotiations between Panathinaikos and Liverpool and as far as I know the two sides are very close to a deal.

“I think that the possibilities of playing at Panathinaikos next season are more than 90 per cent.

“I have been waiting for something from Olympiakos all these weeks but they haven’t made a move for me so far.

“It's not a matter of money. I wanted to stay at Olympiakos but since they don't want to sign me I have to think about my future.”

Leto has not figured at Anfield since a Carling Cup run-out against Cardiff almost two years ago – his fourth and final senior start.

The Argentinian winger was signed from Lanus for £1.85m in summer 2007, but had problems securing a work permit. He has since gained an Italian passport.

Full-back Arbeloa, meanwhile, seemed to confirm his imminent departure last night when he said: “It would be a lie to say I will definitely play at Liverpool next season.

“But at the minute I have to put my personal problems aside and just concentrate on playing for Spain. From Monday I'll start to think about my future.

“I know my situation is in the air, and the only thing I know is I have one more year on my contract.

“But if there are any offers maybe Liverpool has to think about this because I have just one more year.

“It fills me with pride that Real Madrid would look at me. I'm flattered – it's a great project with the return of Florentino Perez.”

Spain's shock Confederations Cup semi-final defeat by USA last night does not, however, mean the close season can finally start for Fernando Torres, Xabi Alonso, Albert Riera, Pepe Reina and Alvaro Arbeloa.

Spain now meet Brazil or South Africa in a third place play-off at 2pm on Sunday.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/06/25/3million-bid-accepted-for-sebastian-leto-liverpool-fc-latest-100252-23973506/2/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

.............Masch/Alonso................
    Kuyt/Yossi..................Rieira/babel

that team would get destroyed by any decent team - no defense especially with this whic is effectively 5 attackers

.............Alonso................
    Yossi..................babel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kida wrote: »
    that team would get destroyed by any decent team - no defense especially with this whic is effectively 5 attackers

no keeper either.

Just some confirmation of where things are with Arbeloa and some chat about Real still beign interested in Alonso.

Also the bit at the bottom about Liverpool receiving an offer from Malaga for Itandje. Fingers crossed we get rid of him but I really cant see us actually getting any cash for him as I think he will be sticky about wages. Given he has two years left on his contract, getting him off the wage bill would have to be considered a success. Really think there is the potential for a Winston Bogarde situation type situation if we don't get rid of him this summer.
    Liverpool hold out for Real to increase bid for Alvaro Arbeloa
    • Defender proud to be linked with Bernabéu
    • Renewed offer for Xabi Alonso expected
    Andy Hunter guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 24 June 2009 22.10 BST

Liverpool have rejected a €5m (£4.23m) bid from Real Madrid for Alvaro Arbeloa, but will allow the defender to return to the *Bernabéu providing they recoup £5m for the Spain international.

Real, who have also lined up a €30m offer for Xabi Alonso, made their first official move for the Liverpool right-back following talks with the player's agent, Manuel García Quillón. The bid was instantly rejected by Rafael Benítez, who is also represented by Quillón, but *Liverpool are likely to settle for a marginal increase with Arbeloa approaching the final 12 months of his Anfield contract.

The 26-year-old has also made no secret of his desire to sign for Real, where he failed to make an impact on the first team before *leaving for Deportivo La Coruña in 2006. "I am especially proud of what the club is doing," Arbeloa reiterated . "It is a big project with the return of *Florentino [Pérez, as president] and *obviously if Madrid is fixed on you it makes you proud."

Arbeloa has proven an astute *purchase since joining Liverpool for £2.6m in *January 2007 but will be usurped as the club's first-choice right-back by Glen *Johnson. *Benítez is looking to offset the £17m cost of the England international, who has passed a medical at Liverpool and will sign a four-year contract on his return from holiday, by selling the likes of Arbeloa and Andrea Dossena, while *Portsmouth will write off the £7m they owe for Peter Crouch as part of the Johnson deal.

The Spain defender is currently in South Africa for the Confederations Cup and admits his future will be resolved after the tournamentends on Sunday. Arbeloa added: "I would be lying if I said I was sure to start the *season with Liverpool. I'll be able to think about all this by next Monday."

Real's interest in Alonso is also expected to gather pace following the *Confederations Cup with the midfielder noncommittal on his future while the competition is in progress. Unlike Javier *Mascherano, who Benítez has declared is not for sale at any price amid interest from Barcelona, *Liverpool may be *receptive to a *substantial offer for a player who endured a strained *relationship with the manager last season.

Barcelona's pursuit of Mascherano was today encouraged by Lionel Messi, the Argentina captain's compatriot and friend,who admits the midfielder would be a *valuable addition to thereigning *European *champions. "Of course I would like him to join, who would not want to play with great players like Javier," said Messi. "I hope he can come here."

Liverpool have received an offer from Málaga for their unwanted goalkeeper, Charles Itandje. The Frenchman still has two years remaining on a lucrativeAnfield *contract, but did not feature in Benitez's plans last season and was fined two weeks' wages for *behaving offensively during the Hillsborough memorial service.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/24/liverpool-alvaro-arbeloa-real-madrid

Well as we are discussing attacking options, I didn't feel the need to include the 'keeper & back 4.....................

With Gerrard dropping further back when we don't have the ball, I fail to see how that team would be destroyed.

Barca play a similar system, and we all saw how they were 'destroyed' eh?..
    Portsmouth will write off the £7m they owe for Peter Crouch as part of the Johnson deal
    So pompy valued him at £24m??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

Why wasn't Arbeloa offered an contract extension a year ago?

We would get €9-10 million easy if he had 3 years left on his contract but instead we're hoping to get €5 million.

He's only 26. I'd much prefer to see him sign a new contract & hang on to him than sell him on the cheap!
    Liverpool have received an offer from Málaga for their unwanted goalkeeper, Charles Itandje. The Frenchman still has two years remaining on a lucrativeAnfield *contract

What kind of salary is he on?

I think its the calm before the storm regards Mascherano and Alonso. :o

If Alonso goes then maybe Snijder would be a good alternative. Prob be able to pick him up for 15 million. Not at Xabis standard but hes good.

Id be gutted to see Masch or alonso leave though and Id stick a price tag of 35 million each on them. It would really dent our chances of winning the title next season if one of them left nevermind the pair of them.

Barca play a similar system, and we all saw how they were 'destroyed' eh?..

Yes but for our Yossi/Kuyt and Riera/Babel combo they had Xavi and Iniesta.

Hephaestus wrote: »
    Why wasn't Arbeloa offered an contract extension a year ago?

We would get €9-10 million easy if he had 3 years left on his contract but instead we're hoping to get €5 million.

He's only 26. I'd much prefer to see him sign a new contract & hang on to him than sell him on the cheap!

What kind of salary is he on?

Don't know why Arbeloa wasn't offered a contract extension. There was talk about homesickness issues with his missus a while back:rolleyes: but it definately doesn't look the smartest. Even if an extension had been offered in January we'd have been in a much stronger position.

From all the reports it does sound like the €5m offer from Real Madrid was turned down immediately, so I would be expecting at least €6m (which is £5.132m) which is not awful for a player with only one year left on his contract, who was bought for £2.6m.

On Itandje - totally unconfirmed but I vaguely remember something about his salary being in the £25k p.w. range. No idea of the accuracy of that but given we got him for nothing and he was bought as the number 2 keeper not beyond the bounds of possibility. Would certainly tie in with the reports of him refusing a move to Galatasaray last season because he wasn't happy with the wages on offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

So pompy valued him at £24m??

Eh? No, They're saying 18million after all add ons, which is probably about 12-14 mill base price. Taking it as 14mill, Portsmouth will write off the 7 from crouch meaning pool only owe them 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Don't know why Arbeloa wasn't offered a contract extension. There was talk about homesickness issues with his missus a while back:rolleyes: but it definately doesn't look the smartest. Even if an extension had been offered in January we'd have been in a much stronger position.

He was offered an extension. to paraphrase Rafa's recent interview "If he signs that is good as we have competition, otherwise we will have to look at the options". I would expect that its Arbeloa's desire to leave (which he stated very clearly in a spanish paper saying he wouldn't be at liverpool longer then next year and dreamed of playing top level in spain as he had not really gotten to experience that last time around) which has prompted the move for a 1st choice RB rather then a backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

reading list of top 50 Liverpool players of all time on the times website.

this made me chuckle :)
    45 Matt Busby

1936-39, 125 appearances

A splendid captain who took Bob Paisley under has wing when the youngster came down from Bishop Auckland in 1939. It is to Busby's credit that the man who would go on to win six titles, three European Cups and three League Cups in nine years talked about the Scot as his mentor. Sadly for Busby, war ended his career and he disappeared without trace. Often wonder what happened to him. Must Google him later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

yea i remember seeing some where that he felt there was unfinished business for him in Spain. he didnt get a fair crack at it with Depor and wants to show he can do it in the Spanish league. fair enough 8 million please Real

Mr Alan wrote: »
    reading list of top 50 Liverpool players of all time on the times website.

this made me chuckle :)

Reminds me of the time coming back to dublin on the boat with a load of utd supporters trying to rile us. Bro started back at them "Busby who'd he play for,Busby Busby who'd he play for" and needles to say they didnt have a clue.. classic moment.

One of my fondest memories of the bro. RIP

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Eh? No, They're saying 18million after all add ons, which is probably about 12-14 mill base price. Taking it as 14mill, Portsmouth will write off the 7 from crouch meaning pool only owe them 7.

Well that makes sense. It was worded as if after the deal we know about included the write off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The midfield three are the last 3 that you would use in that formation. If Liverpool did sign Villa and employed a 4-3-3 against weaker opposition, I have a feeling that we would line out as follows:

Masch
    Kuyt
    Riera
    Gerard

Villa
    Torres

or:

Gerard
    Masch
    Kuyt
    Riera
    Villa
    Torres

Whatever about Gerard playing more as a forward than a midfielder in recent seasons, he athleticism means that he is more than capable of playing as part of a midfield two - especially if it was beside Mascherano.

I personally believe you just couldn't do that with Alonso as he doesn't offer enough defensively.

Ultimately, this is why I would prefer Mascherano to stay if one of them two is going to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Gerrard put in numerous exceptional performances in CM this season. The game at Goodison against Everton immediately springs to mind.

People saying he can't play that position at all are clowns who thinks it makes them clever, or rival fans who are trying to belittle him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_5400993,00.html
    "When I said I had taken a decision it was true, and this decision is that next season I will play in Spain because it is the league that is best for me, I will not go abroad."

can we put an end to the david villa to liverpool crap now till january

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

TBF, I rather we signed a top quality attacker who can play in variety of positions be it left wing, right wing, attacking midfielder or second striker than get David Villa.

Before you get started at me. Yes. Villa can play in different positions. But naturally he is a seond striker/striker and is clearly not worth throwing him out on the wings. His worst time at Valencia was they had to play him out there due to injuries. We have Gerrard and Torres. Arguably the most dangerous front pair duo in world football and have settled on a formation which clearly tailors Rafa's philosphy and style plus gets the best out of key players be it in defence or attack yet people want to take a risk when we are so close to winning the title.

Bringing in Villa. Would meaning Gerrard dropping back into CM. The lad is not really a CM any more and as admitted over this last season that he prefers playing up beside Torres now and loves it there as it gives him more freedom. I certainly do not want to change the formation of the team. We cannot risk possibly having to wait a season or more for us to get to used to play 4-4-2 and Villa settling in or whatever.

Also you ask any Spainish person who has a clue about football, and majority will tell you Torres and Villa as a partnership doesn't work and damn sure doesn't get the best out of either player. I totally agree with that.

If by some miracle we did manage to get him, I wouldn't be disappointed as I love Villa as a player and it would be a real scalp to get him.

But as Rafa said recently in his press conference last week, we need 1 or 2 players. Not to overhaul the team be it by bringing in players, changing formation.... but to just tinker with the squad a little and add real quality to the starting XI.

QFT. This is the only post speaking any sense in the last few pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I've always wanted to have Podolski out there but he doesn't seem to impress outside of national games.

The last euro championships i thought he was fantastic, and the position he plays would suit us perfectly.

He might have an issue with leaving Germany though.

Edit:
    Actually maybe he does impress:

podolski.jpg

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=84628&cc=5739

And in the two Champions League games he played in he scored two goals.

Why isn't there more interest in him?

he's already agreed a deal to head back to cologne last i read, which was a few months back, was out of favour under klinnsmann for bayern

• Advertisement

I've always wanted to have Podolski out there but he doesn't seem to impress outside of national games.

The last euro championships i thought he was fantastic, and the position he plays would suit us perfectly.

He might have an issue with leaving Germany though.

Edit:
    Actually maybe he does impress:

podolski.jpg

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=84628&cc=5739

And in the two Champions League games he played in he scored two goals.

Said to have some attidude on him and is bit of a home boy. He has rejected some moves away Bayern in the past, even on loan. I remember Man City wanted him fairly recently on loan and he didn't move cause he wanted to stay with Bayern and continue to warm the bench.

Yea there is a definate issue with him leaving Germany. It probably his missus. It would be knowing our luck.

Meanwhile:
    AC Milan may yet try to sign Arsenal striker Emmanuel Adebayor should they fail to lure Wolfsburg star Edin Dzeko to the San Siro.

The Rossoneri's top summer target remains Dzeko - but with Wolfsburg reluctant to sell last season's Bundesliga's top scorer, Milan may have to look elsewhere.

"We are only looking for a forward, and our aim is Dzeko,'' AC Milan club administrator Adriano Galliani told the Italian media today. "He is a Wolfsburg player, and they have a right to keep him - even though he continues to claim that his desire is to come to Milan.

"From experience, I know it's difficult to keep a player whose wish is to leave. If we fail to get Dzeko then (Sevilla striker) Luis Fabiano could be an alternative - as could Adebayor.''

Milan have expressed an interest for Togo international Adebayor in the past, but Arsenal want to keep the 25-year-old striker.

"We had a meeting with (Arsenal coach Arsene) Wenger, but they didn't offer him [Adebayor] to us,'' said Galliani. "Had they done that, we would have entered talks.''

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=657206&sec=europe&cc=5739

Had a look into this Edin Dzeko fella. I m p r e s s i v e.

dzeko.jpg

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=102337&cc=5739

I get a bit carried away with soccernet sometimes :o

Yeah there have been stories about his missus not wanting a move away actually again from what I remember :pac:

Džeko and Grafite upfront for Wolfsburg were unstoppable last season. Great understanding and compliment each so well, no Gerrard and Torres mind you ;) But deadly none the less.

He is Milan no doubt. Be a great move for both player and AC.

Yeah there have been stories about his missus not wanting a move away actually again from what I remember :pac:

Thats it!! I'm done with this ****, someone should sit down married soccer players and make em watch Mad Men.

Don Draper will tell em what for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,737 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yea there is a definate issue with him leaving Germany. It probably his missus. It would be knowing our luck.

Meanwhile:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=657206&sec=europe&cc=5739

Had a look into this Edin Dzeko fella. I m p r e s s i v e.

dzeko.jpg

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=102337&cc=5739

I get a bit carried away with soccernet sometimes :o

Even more impressive, not one peno or free kick. :eek:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/article6571909.ece
    Carlsberg is running out of time to negotiate a new shirt sponsorship deal with Liverpool as the Merseyside club hold out for a bumper contract amid interest from a host of leading international companies.

Liverpool are looking to strike a deal similar to the £80 million, four-year arrangement that Manchester United secured this month with Aon, the American insurance giant, but Carlsberg is offering only about half that sum.

The Danish brewer has been Liverpool's main sponsor since 1992, but while talks are continuing and both parties would like their long association to continue, Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr, the co-owners, believe that the club have been undersold commercially for too long and want a deal that reflects their position as one of the most recognisable brands in world football.

The present deal with Carlsberg, which was signed in February 2007 in the wake of the Americans' takeover at Anfield, is worth £7.2 million a year and expires next summer. Carslberg has until the end of July to negotiate a new contract exclusively with Liverpool but thereafter the club will be able to explore other options.

Liverpool believe that United's agreement with Aon has set the benchmark and that it is only right that they seek a comparable deal as the most successful club in English football history with an enormous worldwide fanbase.

Although Liverpool would like to conclude a deal sooner rather than later, they do not want to “get into bed” with the wrong partner and are prepared to take their time.

Chelsea will also be in the hunt for a new shirt sponsor should they not reach a new agreement with Samsung. Their present five-year deal with the Korean electronics company is worth £10 million a year and expires in June 2010, but with reports suggesting that Chelsea believe that a new contract is worth double that, it remains to be seen if Samsung is prepared to cough up the funds.

Put us on your shirts

£80 million The four-year deal Manchester United signed with Aon takes effect from next summer
    £75 million Juventus have a five-year contract with Tamoil, the international oil company
    £68 million Bayern Munich's four-year deal with T-Home
    £50 million Chelsea signed a five-year contract with Samsung in 2005
    £38 million Real Madrid's three-year deal with Bwin.com, the Austria-based online gaming company

its about time in my eyes, our current deal is nowhere near competative enough with our rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

el rabitos wrote: »
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/article6571909.ece

its about time in my eyes, our current deal is nowhere near competative enough with our rivals.

No wonder they were trying to chase Parry out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

While I'd like to see our main sponsors sign a more lucrative deal with us and bring in more funds for Rafa, I will be sad to see Carlsberg move on because our jerseys actually look quite good with them on it.

Though I would like us eventually to go down the Barça and Villa route by going for something more meaningful than the cash on offer from sponsors.

I could live with Facebook or Sky (they might stop talking crap about the club!) ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

nintendo plz

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement