Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I know! RBS :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

mike65 wrote: »
    I could live with Facebook or Sky (they might stop talking crap about the club!) ;)

Oh dear no...no no no no no!

Carlsberg's perfect, they just need to cough up a little extra mooladh.

Unless we are bout out by some oil billionaire and the sponsor will read right to left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

I know! RBS :D
    But shouldn't the club have something other than it's owners on the front of the shirts ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Always thought Coca Cola would look good on a Liverpool top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

durex

yes im joking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

5 star pizza..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

we need to get rid of Carlsberg. If only so that they'll serve some decent beer at Anfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Headshot wrote: »
    durex

yes im joking
    Could be appropriate though given what Gillet & Hicks are doing to the club

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

we need to get rid of Carlsberg. If only so that they'll serve some decent beer at Anfield

It's not like they would ever serve an actually decent beer in a football ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mcowhey

i'm thinkin we go and get emirates looks nice in Arsenal and chelsea shirts also assuming money would be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Think Crown Paints or Candy would stump up £80,000,000?

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Said for years they are undervaluing their shirts, LFC shirts are everywhere, with Carlsberg, I'd say carlsberg will stump up the funds.

I think Sony or Apple would be a great sponsor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Actualy yeah, a nice discreet apple symbol would be nice. They're one of the few companies who posted record profits last year as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I don't think Apple have ever sponsored any sports? Plus I can't see the average football fan being their "target market".

I'd hate "pomous twats are us" to be our sponser.;

• Advertisement

Apple freaks hate sport. They like Chess.

PiE wrote: »
    Plus I can't see the average football fan being their "target market".

Thats true, but with a massive multinational brand like Liverpool, i dont think that matters, look at ManU with Aon, not exactly normal football fare there either. Once you're a massive clubs sponsor then its automatic global exposure.

Having said that, i really dont think it would be their cup of tea anyway.

Apple freaks hate sport. They like Chess.

I have an Apple :(

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I have an Apple
    You're dead to me.

God, you tell its another quiet day! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

God, you tell its another quiet day! :D

I'll happily take a summer of quiet days if it means Alonso and Mascherano are still at Anfield come September

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Bring back Hitachi I say.

As you've all proved apple would be a great choice then, its all about targeting..they are one of the best companies out in the "powers that be" world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Apple would be a good sponsor, however anyone views the company in their personal opinions.

On the same wavelength, IBM or MS would also be huge sponsors to get, although like Apple - I'm not sure I've ever seen either as shirt sponsors before.

I can see it now, 'iPool'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Apple would be a good sponsor, however anyone views the company in their personal opinions.

On the same wavelength, IBM or MS would also be huge sponsors to get, although like Apple - I'm not sure I've ever seen either as shirt sponsors before.

Not MS please, we'd crash about 10 times a season :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Daemonic wrote: »

And come down with swine flu.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Daemonic wrote: »

And they'd make us change our strip from red to blue.

Maybe Dr Dre would be interested.

As you've all proved apple would be a great choice then, its all about targeting..they are one of the best companies out in the "powers that be" world.

Apple would be terrible.

Put it to you this way.
    Apple would be a great sponser for Chelsea.
    It'd go well on plastic flags.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The Vorinator to stay and fight for his place:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_5402078,00.html

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Sounds like Dossena's move to Juventus is up in the air.

The comments from the Vorinator don't suggest he has any plans in place to move on.

If these two don't move on it could have a big impact on Rafa's transfer plans, given we'd probably get at least £8m minimum and could well get £10m.
    Andrea Dossena's Juventus move hangs in the balance
    • Liverpool full-back's agent yet to meet Juve sporting director
    • Dossena 'also happy at Liverpool' if transfer does not happen
    guardian.co.uk, Friday 26 June 2009 12.33 BST

Andrea Dossena's wish to play at Juventus next season may not come true, according to the player's agent. The Liverpool left-back had high hopes of returning to Serie A and Juve admitted an interest in the Italy international.

"We can only wait," Dossena's agent Roberto La Florio told the Italian newspaper Corriere dello Sport. "For the time being, I have not met [Juventus sporting director] Alessio Secco and I don't have an appointment set up with him in the near future. At this time I don't know if Dossena will join Juventus."

The Turin club have been linked with a move for the 27-year-old, who had a disappointing first season at Anfield after his £7m transfer from Udinese. Juve are also considering Lyon's Italy international Fabio Grosso to fill the left-back spot.

"I know there are some problems with Grosso's negotiations," said La Florio. "We can only wait, we are not in a hurry. In any case he is also happy at Liverpool."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/26/juventus-liverpool-andrea-dossena-transfer
    Andriy Voronin pledges to conquer Premier League with Liverpool FC
    Jun 26 2009 by David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL'S on-loan striker, Andriy Voronin, has vowed to come back to Anfield and “conquer” the Premier League next season.

The Ukrainian international enjoyed a brief impact at Liverpool after arriving on a free transfer from Bayer Leverkusen, but spent the whole of last season on-loan at Hertha Berlin.

After five goals in 19 Liverpool appearances, he struck 11 times in 20 appearances back in the Bundesliga and is determined to be a hit in England.

“It wasn't a bad season in Germany but now I am coming back to conquer England,” he said.

“I'm a person who likes to face new challenges. It's time to prove to myself and to those people who think I can score a lot of goals only in Bundesliga, that it's not so.

“'Liverpool is one of the world's strongest clubs. To play for it is a great honour for any footballer.

“I know it's not going to be easy but I feel ready for a real fight to get into the first choice team.”

The Ukranian international still has two years to run on his contract with Liverpool and is set to return to pre-season training on July 5.

American billionaire Robert Kraft, meanwhile, has admitted he would buy Liverpool Football Club “in a minute” – but only if a salary cap was placed on the English Premier League.

The US businessman also claimed that he came “very close” to buying Liverpool in 2005, but was ultimately put off by the absence of a cap on players’ wages.

Kraft, whose family own the NFL’s New England Patriots and Major League Soccer’s New England Revolution, also had concerns about the need for a new stadium but said that would not have stopped him from going ahead with the deal.

Kraft is on the USA’s top 300 rich list. He owns mills, manufactures and distributes paper and packages products in 80 countries.

He says he is fond of Liverpool, noting that the Revolution’s coach, Steve Nicol, used to play there and praised the club’s fans for their loyalty and passion.

He added, however, that they were not the only club he would consider investing in if a cap were in place.

“I wanted to take over Liverpool,” said Kraft. “I met with [the then chairman] David Moores, who is a fine gentleman, and we came very close to buying it, very close.

“But in the end my instinct was – without a salary cap, or a stadium... I wasn’t sure how we’d get a stadium built quickly and efficiently.

“But the more important issue was the salary cap. If the salary cap was there, we would have done it.”

Kraft has experience of building sporting arenas, having overseen construction of the 68,000-seat Gillette Stadium in New England, but hinted that he was less comfortable with the prospect of trying to make a team profitable in an environment where wages and transfer fees continue to rise unchecked in an economic downturn.

Kraft added: “If the salary cap came here, I would buy a team in a minute because we think we know how to run a sports franchise.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/06/26/andriy-voronin-pledges-to-conquer-premier-league-with-liverpool-fc-100252-23987748/2/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Apple would be terrible.

Put it to you this way.
    Apple would be a great sponser for Chelsea.
    It'd go well on plastic flags.

:pac: classic!

It's not all about cash on the sponsorship side, the company have to be of sound commercial and social standing as they will be an extension of the club.
    Don't get me wrong would love to see a mega bucks deal, but not with some dodgey explotation shower.

Google tbh.

It would look tacky as hell but do Paddy Power have any shirt deals? They linked with Swansea in the FA Cup, you'd think they'd be willing to spend quite big.

nah feck off, no betting companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It would look tacky as hell but do Paddy Power have any shirt deals? They linked with Swansea in the FA Cup, you'd think they'd be willing to spend quite big.

SPA

cele_175199t.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Whats the chances of this happening?:D

3662860918_0553927694_o.jpg

Podge2k7 wrote: »

Probably the best thread on the board!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Change the colour of the font to white and we have a really nice shirt!! :D

Dub13 I think it was had a post about that (a reply from RBS to an enquiry of his)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

From another forum:
    I will be seeking to raise new investment which will enable a debt level which is more in line with current market (conditions)
    Since that comment, there's been a rumour floating around that the refinance will not be for the same £350m as the current facility, but for a reduced £250m - and if this is the case, it's going to be announced as a big step in the right direction: but it is?

The existing debt

Before going any further, it's important to understand a bit about the current debt.

The £350m loan is from RBS and Wachovia (now part of Wells Fargo) and is split between the club and its immediate holding company. The structure of the club's ownership is as follows, from the club upwards:

Liverpool Football Club & Athletic Grounds Ltd
    Kop Football Ltd
    Kop Football (Holdings) Ltd
    Kop Football (Cayman) Ltd - based in the Cayman Islands
    Kop Investments LLC - based in Delaware, USA

Of the £350m borrowing, £245m is against Kop Football Ltd. and the remaining £105m against LFC itself.

The entire £245m of Kop Football Ltd.'s loan has been drawn down and this effectively covers the initial purchase of the club and some costs since.

Of the £105m facility that the club has, around £24m had been drawn down as at 31st July 2008 and this figure may have increased since then.

The total amount of borrowing is thus somewhere in excess of £270m, but not as much as £350m.

The interest rate on these loans is believed to be in the region of 6%.

The headline: £100m less debt

Assuming that the reports of the facility being reduced to £250m are correct, that's going to be reported as a reduction in debt of £100m - and that's a good news story.

However, that's not correct - it's a reduction in the facility not the actual debt.

Assuming that the owners in some way put in the £20m difference, all that's happened is that the debt with RBS/Wachovia has been reduced by £20m, not the headline £100m.

It's like having a personal overdraft facility of £3,500 and an actual overdraft of £2,700 - if you repay £200 and the bank cuts the overdraft facility to £2,500, you've only reduced the debt by £200, not by £1,000.

What it means is that the bank is reducing their exposure, not that the debt situation has improved.

The other debt

What's remained relatively unnoticed is that there's another massive debt on the football club: by February 2009, LFC owed £79.5m to Kop Football (Holdings) Ltd., a sum which has effectively funded our transfer budget. Kop Football (Holdings) Ltd in turn owes this sum to Kop Football (Cayman) Ltd. to whom they pay an interest rate of 10%

Where the money that Kop Football (Cayman) Ltd has lent has actually come from is another matter: it's possibly equity put in by the owners, but it's similarly possible that it may be derived from other sources.

The refinancing

From the banks' point of view, reducing the facility to £250m makes perfect sense: essentially it reduces their exposure to a sum which is approximately the same as the valuation of the club - if the owners default, the bank has a £250m loan outstanding, but it also has a £255m football club to sell.

There is, of course, the slight problem that the reduction of the facility will require the owners to inject more money into the club, ie the difference between the new £250m facility and the actual borrowing, which is somewhere in excess of £270m - although, given George Gillett's forthcoming sale of the Montreal Canadiens, that shouldn't be a problem.

Interestingly, the rumour suggests that the owners will have 6 weeks after the 24th July to reduce the loan to £250m - which pretty much corresponds with the date the Canadiens deal will be approved by the NHL governing body.

Is it good news?

Well, assuming that the facility is indeed reduced to £250m, it's certainly going to be promoted as a good news story.

But that's not necessarily the case.

Assuming that some of the debt is transferred from the RBS/Wachovia facility and is replaced by funding via Kop Football (Cayman) Ltd, then the actual debt level won't have changed.

What will have changed is that the club may well be charged interest at 10% (as per the current loan from Kop Football (Cayman) Ltd.) rather than 6% - with that interest going to the owners rather than to the bank.

In short, George Gillett and Tom Hicks will be making more money out of the club.

The Stadium

The net effect of the restructuring of the debt will be to effectively remove the £105m facility that the club has: most of this was put aside for the preliminary costs of the stadium and the reason that this loan has not been drawn down in full is that the stadium development has been postponed.

Thus, the actual effect of the reduction of the debt facility will be to prevent the stadium from going ahead until alternative funding is found - going back to that comment from Christian Purslow:

Quote:
    I will be seeking to raise new investment which will enable a debt level which is more in line with current market (conditions) and to finance a new stadium when market conditions permit.
    My personal opinion is that the stadium development is the crux to the ownership of the club: without a new stadium and increased revenue, the club is only going to go backwards - whilst the current owners can't find the finance to build it. It's that problem that Purslow has been brought in to address.

It's good news week

No doubt any reports of refinancing will be dressed up as good news and a big step in the right direction.

But remember this: the amount of debt will not have changed and the likely impact will be that the interest payments - and thus debt - will increase.

And while that's good PR, that's certainly not good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

its offical now

Johnson is a liverpool player,he's on a 4yr contract

source ssn

Teamtalk are sticking to the theme of the day for their headline;

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_5402541,00.html
    Johnson moon walks into Anfield

Their top headline at the moment is;

Agent smooths criminal United link
    http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_5402533,00.html

• Advertisement

Suppose Linda Lovelace had died last night?

I dread to think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Does anyone feel that the silly season is worse than previous years? I mean so many clubs and their players are supposedly quoted as wanting to leave. Then two days later there is a categoric "i'm here for the long haul" quote.

Alonso, Torres, Aguero, Villa, The Duck, Masch, the list goes on

The press have really gone to town this year I think.

Real Madrid probably didn't help the situation either.

Quote from the SSN article about Johnson:
    "We had to be quick and the club acted quickly. It was down to the player whether he chose us or City or Chelsea and he chose us. It was very clear from talking to him that he wanted to play for Liverpool."

Possibly a slight nod to the improvement in the negotiation processes now that Parry's out of the way?

Was thinking the exact same thing Pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There already is a jersey with the Boards crest on.
    :)

boardeaux.jpg

crest2.JPG

http://blog.boards.ie/2009/06/26/thread_boards_1/

I don't fancy sharing it with Liverpool, sorry.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement