Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

spockety wrote: »
    What, so he's at the club five years, and he starts saying his goodbyes to everyone.. from South Africa?

By fax? email? Telegram??

CARRIER PIGEON???? :eek: :eek:

I reckon he probably sent them a group text. Thats how Bellamy communicated with Shearer when he wanted to leave Newcastle after all.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Torres orders extra Paella

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/28/fernando-torres-liverpool-valencia
    Fernando Torres has revealed he has recommended three fellow Spaniards to his Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez.

The Spain striker believes the Reds need "small players with quality" to finally wrest the Premier League title from Manchester United and would like Benítez to sign David Silva, Juan Mata or David Villa from Valencia.

"English football is very difficult because it's very physical and played at a high tempo," Torres said. "We have a fantastic team to play against the big teams and we are competitive.

"But maybe against those teams lower down we are not good enough. We have to improve that and I think we can.

"I think we can definitely be stronger at home. We have some very good players but maybe we need other players. I hope Liverpool will bring people like Silva, Mata or Villa. These are small players with quality like United had with Carlos Tevez and also with Paul Scholes.

"They are clever players and maybe they can make the difference. Yossi Benayoun plays like these kind of players and I hope we can bring more like that so then we have different options to play against all the sides."

The former Atlético Madrid striker added: "It was frustrating but football is difficult against the smaller teams. We need players with quality to try to win these matches and I want Liverpool to sign players like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Agents seem to have risen to a whole new level in terms of talking to the media. Arbeloa's is at it at the moment trying to get Pool to let him go.
    Real Madrid have confirmed their interest in Arbeloa along with team-mate Xabi Alonso and Arbeloa's representative Manuel Garcia Quilon believes Liverpool should let him move on.

"Alvaro has a year left on his current deal and Rafa Benitez knows that it's best to let him go now," Garcia Quilon told the Sunday Mirror.

"The career of a football player has many stages and he is qualified to play anywhere."
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_5404461,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Everytime I see Ronnie Whealan, I think he can't make me loose more respect for him.
    Everytime I see Ronnie Whealan, he proves me wrong.

How does he do it?!!

"Constantly over the last few seasons Rafa has just wanted to sell Alonso.
    I don't undersand it.
    I think he wants to sell him because he knows that he'll get about £20,000,000 for him.
    I think they had an arguement a couple of seasons ago or something, and now all Rafa wants to do is sell him."

Muppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did he just say that? Even he can read the papers, shirley?

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Did he just say that? Even he can read the papers, shirley?

It's not verbatim, as he just said it in the warm up to the Confederations Final a few mins ago, but yup, that was the jist.
    Himself and Ray then went on about how Alonso is more important than Masch cause Alonso is better going forward.
    Ignoring the fact that being defencive is kinda important for a defencive midfielder like.
    They said Masch is okay cause he's energetic but Alonso is class.

And don't call me Shirley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ronnie and Ray are the two ex players that bug me the most when I see them on tv and hear them on the radio. They tend to only spout ****e that sounds like they have read in a tabloid and never manage to convince me that they have seen our players play on a regular basis.

The way Ray say "us" when on Irish tv when talking about Ireland bugs me too, as when he is on Scottish tv talking about Scotland he does the "us" thing too. I know he was born there but it bugs me.

Whoa The USA just went ahead against Brazil.

Oh, and Ronnie also went on about how he thinks if Liverpool are to progress, Benitez will have to hold onto his best players, and that Rafa should be concentrating on that.

Damn, if only Rafa had thought of that.!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Oh, and Ronnie also went on about how he thinks if Liverpool are to progress, Benitez will have to hold onto his best players, and that Rafa should be concentrating on that.

Damn, if only Rafa had thought of that.!:rolleyes:

Sack Rafa, hire Ronnie! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Ex players like Ronnie haven't really got a clue about modern management they just think that certain ideas and philosphies from their days still ring true today.

John Giles is one of the worst ones for it "I don't believe in football players getting tired, back in my day we played full matches with extra time and penos every second day and we'd only get a weeks holiday to go to courttown or pontins if you had the money"

.... yeah John we get it.

• Advertisement

I remember Ray complaining about Zonal marking before.
    He kept going on about how it wasn't good enough.
    When someone said so it was man marking that ye used to use back when you were wining trophies at Anfield, he wen, no we used to use a kind of zonal marking, and left it at that!
    Ss if he hadn't just completely contradicted himself!

Couldn't believe the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Ex players like Ronnie haven't really got a clue about modern management they just think that certain ideas and philosphies from their days still ring true today.

How do you know if they are right or wrong?

elshambo wrote: »
    How do you know if they are right or wrong?

Rafa Benitez Managerial Honours

Real Madrid U-19s

Spain U-19 League
    Winner (1): 1993

Spain U-19 Cup
    Winner (2): 1991, 1993

Extremadura

Segunda División
    Promotion: Runner-up (1): 1997–98

Tenerife

Segunda División
    Promotion (1): 2000–01

Valencia

La Liga
    Winner (2): 2001–02, 2003–04

UEFA Cup
    Winner (1): 2003–04

Liverpool

FA Cup
    Winner (1): 2006

FA Community Shield

UEFA Champions League
    Winner (1): 2004–05

European Super Cup
    Winner (1): 2005

Ronnie Whelan Managerial Honours

tumbleweed004gi3.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

true

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

John Giles is one of the worst ones for it "I don't believe in football players getting tired, back in my day we played full matches with extra time and penos every second day and we'd only get a weeks holiday to go to courttown or pontins if you had the money"

.... yeah John we get it.
    While i agree that Ronnie talks a lot of sh!te

I have to laugh at the nonsence that gets spouted about modern management sometimes. As if the fundamental nature of football has changed or something - it hasn't.
    The ideas and philosophies that Giles puts forward are: fight hard to win the ball; don't give the ball away cheaply (as you will just have to win it back again and use more energy); and play positively so you're not leaving anything to chance ie don't just sit on a one goal lead as it might come back to bite you in the ass. I don't see any problems with those philosophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Pro. F wrote: »
    While i agree that Ronnie talks a lot of sh!te

I have to laugh at the nonsence that gets spouted about modern management sometimes. As if the fundamental nature of football has changed or something - it hasn't.
    The ideas and philosophies that Giles puts forward are: fight hard to win the ball; don't give the ball away cheaply (as you will just have to win it back again and use more energy); and play positively so you're not leaving anything to chance ie don't just sit on a one goal lead as it might come back to bite you in the ass. I don't see any problems with those philosophies.

you have to stop listening to Giles when he says "i don't believe in tactics." Although he's usually fairer to Benitez than the rest of them

you have to stop listening to Giles when he says "i don't believe in tactics." Although he's usually fairer to Benitez than the rest of them

He has a very simplistic view of managing alright.

He has the basics right, no doubt, but modern day managing is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Modern day football has evolved allright but essentially in only two ways.

1. The microscope of TV has made tactics more prevalent and neccesary but they are not the holy grail to 'perfect' football thats easy on the eye. Football is not a game of chess when your on the pitch. Was shanklys 'pass and move' tactical???...indeed, is that philosophy defunct today.??...not in my eyes.

2. In comparison to players back in the day, modern day players are soft as ****e. Loathe him or loathe him, ol' strawberry nose over at old trafford bares many hallmarks to our greatest manager, bill shankly. He routinely snuffs out any bull**** or self importance in the ranks and generally, smells sweeter on the other side of it.

When tommy smith once consulted Shankly to tell him he couldn't play next week, due to his injured knee, Shankly replied: "Take that poof bandage off, and what do you mean Your knee, it's Liverpool's knee!"

I guess some folk dont think this type of thing applies now, well, it does, its just dressed up with a little bit more diplomacy.

One quick point on ronnie whelan not having a clue about modern day management. Ronnie may talk some ****e on the box at times but in fairness, if i had to sit next to eamo every other week id have slowly lost my mind. Eamos cavalier bull**** is contagious and somtimes the topics up for discussion are teed up by bill for only one purpose, to provide some soundbytes for apres match or some other barstool nonsense. Ronnie may not have progressed into management or indeed, even cared for management in the long term but for me, he, if anyone has earned the right to air his views on how he sees it. Call me old fashioned, but his medals tally speaks for itself. He is one of the best midfield players to grace the pitch at anfield and im pretty sure he learned a few things off the man who signed him, Bob Paisley.

Shankly and paisley may not have been able to adapt to the general day to day bollox of the modern game but there is no doubt in my mind that their eye for talent, training methods and football ethos in beating the opposition still hangs tough today and will do, long into footballs future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Ronnie Whelan and Ray Haughton are one trick ponies; if they weren't given Rafa abuse they would have absolutely nothing to say. That's why I have respect for the likes of Kenny Cunningham. Sure he is bland as **** but at least he doesn't talk ****e just so he can have something to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

lol to people who think the game hasnt changed much... sure there used to pints after the game for the players, the game is a completely different beast to 20/30 years ago. you know it's not just tactics that wins game right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

aaronh007 wrote: »

May I refer to the very unfortunate former Belgium and Villa player Luc Nilis whose career ended 3 games into his Villa career he broke his leg and never played again.
    Why did you have to put that horrific image back in my mind? That leg break was so devastating looking, cant understand what it must have been like to suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I am getting a bit worried about Alonso and Mascerano. I think one of them at least will go, probably Alonso cause he can't be happy after last summer, and cause Real have the purse to pay what it takes. I don't think Barca can afford Mascerano, but perhaps with the right player in a swap deal they could manage it.

I think losing Masc would hurt us more because of the way we play, protects the back 4 beautifully. Losing Alonso would be bad, but in terms of goals and assists, not so much. We would need to replace with another good passer, but maybe someone with more goals in them.

This is going to be a memorable transfer window, no mistake...

Too many people in this thread mistaking being able to play a database based computer game with having more knowledge of what its like to play football than one of the finest players this country ever produced:eek:

:o

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

elshambo wrote: »
    Too many people in this thread mistaking being able to play a database based computer game with having more knowledge of what its like to play football than one of the finest players this country ever produced:eek:

No, I think it's more like a lot of people comparing what Ronnie Whelan says, with the reality of Rafa and LFC's situation in the current game, as well as the results and achievements that Rafa has at LFC, and deciding that they just don't stack up.

I'm afraid Ronnie loses, because he's negative about the club and manager we support, and many of his assertions are simply not borne out in reality, never mind backed up with a sound argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ronnie is one of the greatest players ireland's produced. no argument.

doesn't mean he's not talking through his crapper when he talks about rafa and the club.

criticism is fine.

but when he comes out with sh*te that doesn't hold up to support the criticism, then, well, that's just acting the d*ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ronnie Whelan and Ray Houghton are awful commentators/critics.

Awful.

Excellent footballers, just tv aint for them imo

Ronnie is famed on the Liverpool circit of having an irrational hatred of all things Rafa.
    He abuses his position as a pundit to carry over his own personal problem with Rafa IMO.

You honestly get the impression that Raonnie would prefer Liverpool to not win the premiership, and fire Rafa, than win if it meant Rafa stayed.

Actually, now that you mention it, robbie earle and mark bright are vastly superior in their analysis......

• Advertisement

No, I think it's more like a lot of people comparing what Ronnie Whelan says, with the reality of Rafa and LFC's situation in the current game, as well as the results and achievements that Rafa has at LFC, and deciding that they just don't stack up.

I'm afraid Ronnie loses, because he's negative about the club and manager we support, and many of his assertions are simply not borne out in reality, never mind backed up with a sound argument.

Ronnie whelan doesnt say anything that isnt echoed in match threads by the multitude of fans on any given day where the result is not a victory. Fair enough, he may not be able to articulate that, but neither does he have the option to galvanise his points by pontificating from the halls of wikipedia et al.

Ronnie whelan is a liverpool legend, i dont agree with everything he says but id rather hear criticism from an 'old friend' than listen to the bollox spouted by eamo.

Ronnie is famed on the Liverpool circit of having an irrational hatred of all things Rafa.
    He abuses his position as a pundit to carry over his own personal problem with Rafa IMO.

You honestly get the impression that Raonnie would prefer Liverpool to not win the premiership, and fire Rafa, than win if it meant Rafa stayed.

Link???? Source????........or just an opinion you hold?????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

daithijjj wrote: »
    Ronnie whelan doesnt say anything that isnt echoed in match threads by the multitude of fans on any given day where the result is not a victory. Fair enough, he may not be able to articulate that, but neither does he have the option to galvanise his points by pontificating from the halls of wikipedia et al.

Ronnie whelan is a liverpool legend, i dont agree with everything he says but id rather hear criticism from an 'old friend' than listen to the bollox spouted by eamo.

Old players maybe legends but most of them are out of the lop with the actual club and have no idea of the inner workings of it.Last night for example whelan was going on about Alonso and why would Rafa want to sell him but that was last year and its no almost common knowledge that Alonso is the one pushing the move and he is desperate for a moveback home.

Also if anyone has ever been to a meet and greet with these legends they will see Whelans true feelings about Rafa.These older players have been frozen out by rafa and a lot are very bitter about it.

Also isnt Whelan a United fan:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I don't think I disagree with anything you've said there.

The issue is that Ronnie Whelan says a lot of stuff that is simply not borne out in Liverpool's results or achievements under Rafa. And he says it over, and over, and over, whether we win or lose. He even says it when you're watching commentary and analysis on a match where there is no Liverpool involvement whatsoever.

It comes across as an axe to grind.

Watch him on DVD's from the 80's to feel good about Ronnie Whelan. Watch him on RTE2 to feel bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Ronnie Whelan was a great player.
    My issue with him are two-fold. And it's not that he just doesn't like Rafa:

1. He's completely different on LFC TV if he's ever on there. He never (not that you'd expect to see him do so) slags off Rafa on there.

2. He tells lies and/or misinforms viewers. "Benitez has spent X hundreds of millions on X hundreds of players and they are all crap and defensive"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Rafa Benitez Managerial Honours

Real Madrid U-19s

Spain U-19 League
    Winner (1): 1993

Spain U-19 Cup
    Winner (2): 1991, 1993

Extremadura

Segunda División
    Promotion: Runner-up (1): 1997–98

Tenerife

Segunda División
    Promotion (1): 2000–01

Valencia

La Liga
    Winner (2): 2001–02, 2003–04

UEFA Cup
    Winner (1): 2003–04

Liverpool

FA Cup

FA Community Shield

UEFA Champions League
    Winner (1): 2004–05

European Super Cup
    Winner (1): 2005

Ronnie Whelan Managerial Honours

tumbleweed004gi3.gif

The same argument means none of us can comment on any aspect of professional football. We may as well close the forum.

• Advertisement

raven136 wrote: »
    Old players maybe legends but most of them are out of the lop with the actual club and have no idea of the inner workings of it.Last night for example whelan was going on about Alonso and why would Rafa want to sell him but that was last year and its no almost common knowledge that Alonso is the one pushing the move and he is desperate for a moveback home.

Also if anyone has ever been to a meet and greet with these legends they will see Whelans true feelings about Rafa.These older players have been frozen out by rafa and a lot are very bitter about it.

Also isnt Whelan a United fan:D

Didnt see what was said about alonso, didnt watch the game so i cant comment on that.

Out of interest, would you hold anything against carragher for example if he said something negative about the club in the next 20 years???......isnt he an everton fan??

Its very naive to hold onto opinions that any negativity/criticism is unwaranted and only positivity/compliments are accepted.

These guys on TV are employed as analysts, they are not employed to be fanboys and grease egos at former clubs.

How exactly is a pundit supposed to grace a home draw for us for example????.......shower the lads in compliments????....or point to failures/where improvement could be made??

Some of the views on whelan are very anal. I watched motd as martin keown criticised kuyt in post game analysis at the west brom game, never got a mention on here but if one of the old boys says it hes a clueless heretic who hates the club and the manager.

I don't think I disagree with anything you've said there.

The issue is that Ronnie Whelan says a lot of stuff that is simply not borne out in Liverpool's results or achievements under Rafa. And he says it over, and over, and over, whether we win or lose. He even says it when you're watching commentary and analysis on a match where there is no Liverpool involvement whatsoever.

It comes across as an axe to grind.

Watch him on DVD's from the 80's to feel good about Ronnie Whelan. Watch him on RTE2 to feel bad.

I dont really disagree with what you say there either. Ronnie isnt the best man to have on the tv, he clearly isnt very comfortable on screen (just my opinion) and i also dont think he comes across well as he doesnt have the articulation to get his point across on many occasions. It doesnt help when rte have 45 mins to fill before a game, it gapes wide open for a customary semi rant and can delve into the nether regions which alot of folk can take to heart and obviously do. Some may see it as an axe to grind, i see it as open honesty, something you never get on the uk channels from any pundit with a rare occasion from hansen or lawrenson.

Stekelly wrote: »
    The same argument means none of us can comment on any aspect of professional football. We may as well close the forum.

At least someone got the point of the question:D

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

raven136 wrote: »
    Old players maybe legends but most of them are out of the lop with the actual club and have no idea of the inner workings of it.

It used to be quite different to this, especially at Liverpool.
    Last night for example whelan was going on about Alonso and why would Rafa want to sell him but that was last year and its no almost common knowledge that Alonso is the one pushing the move and he is desperate for a moveback home.

This is something else that's very different to the way things were when Ronnie was playing. Endless, tedious, pointless media speculation.

The fact is, the transfer window hasn't even opened yet. Alonso has not really said anything at all and Rafa has only said that he doesn't want to sell. Shock!:eek: Horror!:eek:

Why is Ronnie being asked any questions about it at all? What could he possibly know? Does Bill think Ronnie has day-to-day connections with LFC? Is the opinion of any pundit potentially more important/relevant than anyone else's?

Of course not; but that's not the point. The media has a perception of the fans' appetite for stories about football which is simultaneously inflated beyond the absurd and entirely accurate. By which I mean, there's waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much of it, but we can't get enough. That's why the papers are full of it (even when 'it' doesn't exist) and why Ronnie gets asked questions about Alonso etc. Time was, sports pages in the UK were full of Cricket and Tennis at this time of the year. Imagine that:pac:

Obviously, Ronnie shouldn't be making stuff up or dredging up year-old bollox. At the same time, he is under no obligation to support Rafa (afaik)and is perfectly entitled to his opinion. I certainly don't agree with most of the things he says, but that only comes from a healthy scepticism of 99% of what's in the media, tbh.

The only problem with any of this would be if Rafa and/or any current players were affected by anything Ronnie said. And I'd be shocked if he turned out to have that much power!

Link???? Source????........or just an opinion you hold?????????

Do you go to many legends meetings?

Cause I do.

I was at one recentlly when during thr QA section, certain other legends were asked to comment on Whelan, and lets just say they weren't very supportive of him.
    While in no way being disrespectful, instead they just declined to comment.
    With one if I remember correctly pointing out that he's really a UTD fan after all.

Ask Dub 13 who'll know way more about it than I would, as he has much more experience of the matter.

How exactly can I post a link of the general concensus of people's oppinion of Whelan's attitude?!!!:confused:

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »

I'm sorry, but my cheques must have gotten lost in the mail.
    Do you get paid for posting here?

The difference between posting on a football forum, or getting paid to voice your professional oppinion, is fairly vast.

Whelan has constantly spouted inacuracies as facts, and his oppinion influences others.
    For you to say it's okay, is the same as saying it's okay for a journalist to make up the news!
    Cause that's exactly what he's doing.

Whelan constantly talks about how Rafa rotates more than other managers, when he doesn't.
    He talks about the flaws of zonal marking, despite the fact that Liverpool concede less than half the average goals from set pieces.
    He talks about Liverpool spending £200,000,000. Despite the fact that the net spend is £83,000,000.

And as I just pointed out to start this, he is talking about How Rafa is trying to force Alonso out.
    Which is the exact opposit of the truth!!!
    He couldn't get more wrong on it!

Ronnie's opinion carries a lot of weight with the casual fan, and most fans don't know how inacurate his tirades are.
    So when he spouts what are in fact lies, some fans believe it.

He has a responsibility to portray things accurately.

Instead he passes off crap as his "expert opinion".

If he wants to come onto this, or any other forum, and post his opinion, then fair enough.
    Prime time RTÉ, before a major tournament final, isn't boards.ie

Do you go to many legends meetings?

Cause I do.

I was at one recentlly when during thr QA section, certain other legends were asked to comment on Whelan, and lets just say they weren't very supportive of him.
    While in no way being disrespectful, instead they just declined to comment.
    With one if I remember correctly pointing out that he's really a UTD fan after all.

Ask Dub 13 who'll know way more about it than I would, as he has much more experience of the matter.

How exactly can I post a link of the general concensus of people's oppinion of Whelan's attitude?!!!:confused:

I spend my money on going to liverpool games when i can, doesnt matter whether its home or away , legends nights dont interest me in the slightest. Do i care whether ronnie is still best buddies with the other lads???.... no. Sheringham and cole never spoke for years at united. Do i give a monkeys if he was/ is/ were/ always has been, a united fan....no.

I dont think it really crossed his mind when he scored the winner against united in a league cup final....do you??

John o shea is a liverpool fan, whelan is a united fan, carra is a toffee..........none of this has anything to do with the price of cabbage. It just means they are proffesionals. Does houghton not echo much of what whelan says???.....i suppose hes a united fan too because he hasnt 'brown nosed' the club with enough regularity.

If i agree with some of what whelan/houghton say, does that make me a united fan???.........

You asked me how you can post a link about the general concensus of peoples opinion on whelan??......at the same time, you cant post anything to back it up. Carefull now, your beginning to sound like the fellow you are criticising for not being able to back up his comments about the manager.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

What is your argument Daithijjj? That Karma is wrong and most liverpool fans still love Ronnie Whelan?
    Like saying he's a Utd fan is just a little bit of truth, I don't see why your taking exception to all this?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Here is a link that I think will give you peoples general consensus on Whelan.

Ronnie Whelan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Whelan constantly talks about how Rafa rotates more than other managers, when he doesn't.
    He talks about the flaws of zonal marking, despite the fact that Liverpool concede less than half the average goals from set pieces.
    He talks about Liverpool spending £200,000,000. Despite the fact that the net spend is £83,000,000.

And as I just pointed out to start this, he is talking about How Rafa is trying to force Alonso out.

Everyone of your statements could be taken a different way, I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with Whelan's analyses, as they are just speculation.

Rafa rotated key people at odd times of the season, and put them into odd formations, rightly or wrongly. I don't think you could say Ronnie was wholly inaccurate here. There is a fantasy rafa site set up in tribute of this.

Zonal marking is not a perfect system, he can of course point out it's flaws if he wants, when Liverpool concede. If Liverpool never conceded, then you'd have a point.

Liverpool did spend €200,000,000, irregardless of what they got back on selling players, thats a fact, that anyone can say.

Rafa did try to sell Alonso last season, and get in Gareth Barry, it's not much of a leap to say he is trying/tried to force him out.

Now, of course, there are circumstances behind each one of these statements, but, as a Liverpool fan, you have probably argued each one of these points both with other fans, and on here in boards. It's a bit unfair to label Ronnie as an idiot for also mentioning them.

mayordenis wrote: »
    What is your argument Daithijjj? That Karma is wrong and most liverpool fans still love Ronnie Whelan?
    Like saying he's a Utd fan is just a little bit of truth, I don't see why your taking exception to all this?

Ermmm, im not having an argument, im just talking on a forum. I dont get the argument thats being passed off that whelan only thinks the way he does because he supports united. I know plenty of fellow fans of the club who have criticised in the past, including myself, tis in the nature of every fan. Does it make me a united fan???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think this sums up Whelan.

He was also asked by a couple of lads from Irishkop after a legends night a while back "Ronnie so when do you reckon we'll win the league again" his response "who gives a ****",!

Ok he had a few drinks taken and this was at the lock in after but I think it says a lot about him.I have no time for him and I have meet him a load of times so am speaking from experience.

I spend my money on going to liverpool games when i can, doesnt matter whether its home or away , legends nights dont interest me in the slightest. Do i care whether ronnie is still best buddies with the other lads???.... no. Sheringham and cole never spoke for years at united. Do i give a monkeys if he was/ is/ were/ always has been, a united fan....no.

I dont think it really crossed his mind when he scored the winner against united in a league cup final....do you??

John o shea is a liverpool fan, whelan is a united fan, carra is a toffee..........none of this has anything to do with the price of cabbage. It just means they are proffesionals. Does houghton not echo much of what whelan says???.....i suppose hes a united fan too because he hasnt 'brown nosed' the club with enough regularity.

If i agree with some of what whelan/houghton say, does that make me a united fan???.........

You asked me how you can post a link about the general concensus of peoples opinion on whelan??......at the same time, you cant post anything to back it up. Carefull now, your beginning to sound like the fellow you are criticising for not being able to back up his comments about the manager.

What's got your goat?

I said Whelan has a reputation.
    You asked for a source.
    I gave one.
    You went off on one.

It doesn't matter what team anyone supports, I told you the response that was given by a former player, to a question about Ronnies percieved anti-Rafa bias.

I know people who've met Ronnie informally, and he admitted to having a problem with Rafa.

He then goes on tv, spouts lies about the club.

It's not on, and I have every reason to get pissed off about it.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Here is a link that I think will give you peoples general consensus on Whelan.

Ronnie Whelan

No offence Dub13 but i read the first page of that and in the majority its the usual adolescent BS you see on every forum........."hes dead to me now", "ive never seen him play but", "rumour has it he wanted the job after souness and was laughed out of the club" etc etc.

The article it titled 'some manc bloke gave this to me'(or along those lines).........jesus wept.

I dont doubt the article was in a united review but seriously, even in this article you posted, intended to undermine peoples opinion of him there are also opinions saying "i dont see the problem here" concerning the quotes in the article itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm sorry, but my cheques must have gotten lost in the mail.
    Do you get paid for posting here?

The difference between posting on a football forum, or getting paid to voice your professional oppinion, is fairly vast.

Whelan has constantly spouted inacuracies as facts, and his oppinion influences others.
    For you to say it's okay, is the same as saying it's okay for a journalist to make up the news!
    Cause that's exactly what he's doing.

Which is the exact opposit of the truth!!!
    He couldn't get more wrong on it!

Ronnie's opinion carries a lot of weight with the casual fan, and most fans don't know how inacurate his tirades are.
    So when he spouts what are in fact lies, some fans believe it.

He has a responsibility to portray things accurately.

Instead he passes off crap as his "expert opinion".

If he wants to come onto this, or any other forum, and post his opinion, then fair enough.
    Prime time RTÉ, before a major tournament final, isn't boards.ie

My point is not specifically about Whelan, its about any ex players that are pundits or comment on the game now.

BTW, just because the good people of boards have decided that net spend is the only method of judging transfers, doesnt mean everyone has to. At the end of the day, if he has spent £200m then thats what h's spent. It doesnt really matter whether the money was raised from selling players or from selling hotdogs and burgers in the ground.

Im not reopening the zonal marking debate but the problem with it is that when we do conced from set pieces its often from schoolboy stuff like free headers and defenders standign around in the aftermath looking at each other. It just looks terrible and makes it easy to criticise zonal marking.

Neither of these are innacurate facts btw no more so than you saying it isnt true anyway. its his opinion, whether he's right or wrong thats what he's paid to do. If you dotn like it, the choice is yours not to watch.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement