Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

daithijjj wrote: »
    Ermmm, im not having an argument, im just talking on a forum. I dont get the argument thats being passed off that whelan only thinks the way he does because he supports united. I know plenty of fellow fans of the club who have criticised in the past, including myself, tis in the nature of every fan. Does it make me a united fan???

I dont think he thinks that way cause he supports united, i think he thinks that way as he's a piss poor analyst who doesn't do a whole lot of research into the topics he's invariably going to be asked about. Despite it being a job which he's being paid to do, i get the impression he thinks just being Ronnie Whelan is enough, when obviously a bit more professionalism would be nice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

No offence Dub13 but i read the first page of that and in the majority its the usual adolescent BS you see on every forum........."hes dead to me now", "ive never seen him play but", "rumour has it he wanted the job after souness and was laughed out of the club" etc etc.

The article it titled 'some manc bloke gave this to me'(or along those lines).........jesus wept.

I dont doubt the article was in a united review but seriously, even in this article you posted, intended to undermine peoples opinion of him there are also opinions saying "i dont see the problem here" concerning the quotes in the article itself.

I agree that thread is a bit emotional but you have to remember a lot of the lads on Irishkop have met him several times and I can assure you the sentiment's posted on that thread are the views of a majority of Irish match going Liverpool fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So anyone got any transfer rumours? I don't care how fanciful to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Ronnie's opinion carries a lot of weight with the casual fan, and most fans don't know how inacurate his tirades are.
    So when he spouts what are in fact lies, some fans believe it.

So? More fool them.

He has a responsibility to portray things accurately.

To whom?

*Oh, when will EvilRonnie's reign of terror be over?*

Seriously, he is being conferred waaaaaaaay too much influence here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

What's got your goat?

I said Whelan has a reputation.
    You asked for a source.
    I gave one.
    You went off on one.

It doesn't matter what team anyone supports, I told you the response that was given by a former player, to a question about Ronnies percieved anti-Rafa bias.

I know people who've met Ronnie informally, and he admitted to having a problem with Rafa.

He then goes on tv, spouts lies about the club.

It's not on, and I have every reason to get pissed off about it.

Nothing has my goat karma. Is this how you develop your opinions of people???..... over a few pints and 'whatever he says (or doesnt care to comment) must be the truth'.

I said previously that i dont agree with what some of whelan says. Why do you bring up hes a united fan when " it doesn't matter what team anyone supports".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

astrofool wrote: »
    Everyone of your statements could be taken a different way, I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with Whelan's analyses, as they are just speculation.

Rafa rotated key people at odd times of the season, and put them into odd formations, rightly or wrongly. I don't think you could say Ronnie was wholly inaccurate here. There is a fantasy rafa site set up in tribute of this.

He rotates on average less than Fergie and as much as Wenger.
    But Rafa is the rotation expert.:rolleyes:
    astrofool wrote:
    Zonal marking is not a perfect system, he can of course point out it's flaws if he wants, when Liverpool concede. If Liverpool never conceded, then you'd have a point.

Disagree completely.
    You can't only highlight the bad of a system and consider your self objective.

astrofool wrote:
    Liverpool did spend €200,000,000, irregardless of what they got back on selling players, thats a fact, that anyone can say.

In that case I can say Rafa has made £100,000,000 from selling players.:rolleyes:
    Same thing.
    You can't give one side, and not another.
    astrofool wrote:
    Rafa did try to sell Alonso last season, and get in Gareth Barry, it's not much of a leap to say he is trying/tried to force him out.

No you can't.
    Ronnie said Rafa has been constantly trying to sell Alonso for the last few years.
    Trying to sell Alonso once, 11 months ago, and since coming out and saying that he really doesn't ant to sell him, is once again as far from what Ronnie said as possible.
    astrofool wrote:
    Now, of course, there are circumstances behind each one of these statements, but, as a Liverpool fan, you have probably argued each one of these points both with other fans, and on here in boards. It's a bit unfair to label Ronnie as an idiot for also mentioning them.

No it's not.
    He's paid to know things.
    If he wants to know nothing, then he should stay at home.
    If he wants to get paid to represent the truth, then he should do so.

As I said, what he does, is the same as a journalist just making up the news.
    Something, which as a Liverpool fan, I have an understandably massive problem with.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I dont think he thinks that way cause he supports united, i think he thinks that way as he's a piss poor analyst who doesn't do a whole lot of research into the topics he's invariably going to be asked about. Despite it being a job which he's being paid to do, i get the impression he thinks just being Ronnie Whelan is enough, when obviously a bit more professionalism would be nice.

I dont disagree, i said before that ronnie isnt comfortable on screen and doesnt seem to have the articulation to get across what he wants to say without an interuption etc. The amount of former players who can string 3 sentances together without an ummm, ahhhhhh are few and far between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Nothing has my goat karma. Is this how you develop your opinions of people???..... over a few pints and 'whatever he says (or doesnt care to comment) must be the truth'.

I said previously that i dont agree with what some of whelan says. Why do you bring up hes a united fan when " it doesn't matter what team anyone supports".

I'll try and say it a second time so.

I was repeating the response I heard from a player.

Not my response.
    Not my opinion.
    I was recounting what I heard said by a player, as you asked.

I just find it hillarious that you jump down my throat, in a very patronising way looking for a source, but when I, and later Dub give you sources, you dismiss them off hand.

These are people who played with Ronnie, or have met him multiple times, and they know a hell of a lot more about his opinions.

If you've gone after hours on one of these nights, you'll know that they can be great fun.
    Listening to stories, and experiences.
    And quiet often due to the copious amounts of alcohol (:P) players tell you things that they wouldn't normally.

Whelan constantly goes out of his way to belittle our manager, if that's his opinion, he's welcome to it.

Coming out on national tv and lying to back up his personal opinion and portray it as fact, is completely different however.

Dub13 wrote: »
    I agree that thread is a bit emotional but you have to remember a lot of the lads on Irishkop have met him several times and I can assure you the sentiment's posted on that thread are the views of a majority of Irish match going Liverpool fans.

Well, fair enough, il take your word on that. It doesnt happen to be the view of the lads i go to games with, then again most of them havent met him and dont get rte these days as they are paddys in england.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Well, fair enough, il take your word on that. It doesnt happen to be the view of the lads i go to games with, then again most of them havent met him and dont get rte these days as they are paddys in england.

A lot of people in England are very surprised when they hear what he is up to these days.

I'll try and say it a second time so.

I was repeating the response I heard from a player.

Not my response.
    Not my opinion.
    I was recounting what I heard said by a player, as you asked.

I just find it hillarious that you jump down my throat, in a very patronising way looking for a source, but when I, and later Dub give you sources, you dismiss them off hand.

These are people who played with Ronnie, or have met him multiple times, and they know a hell of a lot more about his opinions.

If you've gone after hours on one of these nights, you'll know that they can be great fun.
    Listening to stories, and experiences.
    And quiet often due to the copious amounts of alcohol (:P) players tell you things that they wouldn't normally.

Whelan constantly goes out of his way to belittle our manager, if that's his opinion, he's welcome to it.

Coming out on national tv and lying to back up his personal opinion and portray it as fact, is completely different however.

Ah come on karma, a source isnt what was said or wasnt said over a belly full of pints or a thread on irishkop. Yes it was kinda patronising but i wasnt really looking for a source:p, we both know there isnt one, only hearsay and personal perception.

In the thread that Dub posted, there is a poster who says he is amazed at what alot of players have said in the public domain, should we dismiss them all as some sort of traitors?......should i just eliminate anyones opinion if its not a congratulatory pat on the back?

I dont get the point your making about whelan declaring his opinion and trying to spoonfeed the population of ireland passing it off as a fact, i dont really want to explore it either to be honest, ive gone past caring. Doesnt everyone declare an opinion in every walk of life and imply that it is a fact because they believe it to be true???........anyway, ive drawn a line under this.

Wouldnt mind seeing joe cole in the shirt by next week ;).....with any luck ancellotti might give us a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Ah come on karma, a source isnt what was said or wasnt said over a belly full of pints or a thread on irishkop. Yes it was kinda patronising but i wasnt really looking for a source:p, we both know there isnt one, only hearsay and personal perception.

In the thread that Dub posted, there is a poster who says he is amazed at what alot of players have said in the public domain, should we dismiss them all as some sort of traitors?......should i just eliminate anyones opinion if its not a congratulatory pat on the back?

I dont get the point your making about whelan declaring his opinion and trying to spoonfeed the population of ireland passing it off as a fact, i dont really want to explore it either to be honest, ive gone past caring. Doesnt everyone declare an opinion in every walk of life and imply that it is a fact because they believe it to be true???........anyway, ive drawn a line under this.

Wouldnt mind seeing joe cole in the shirt by next week ;).....with any luck ancellotti might give us a bargain.

A player I would love to see Rafa sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Fromvert wrote: »
    A player I would love to see Rafa sign.

only thing is, when was the last time he played a full season?

the man has a horrible whiff of glass about him lately.

SlickRic wrote: »
    only thing is, when was the last time he played a full season?

the man has a horrible whiff of glass about him lately.

He had a horrible whiff of scoring against us too, there for a few seasons. The last injury was a bit of a freak injury allright but my only thinking was that ive always liked him as player and a person when ive seen him play or on the box.

Rafas comments about going the extra yard to get an englishman, coupled with the fact that ancelotti might not see a future for him. Hes a 'fancy' player who doesnt mind putting a shift in aswell. A cheeky bid could net a bargain and i think we could use a player like him, his 'koala teas' wouldnt go unnoticed by the gaffer imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

don't get me wrong, i'd love him at the club.

and if all it takes is a cheeky bid, then all the better.

our only chance of getting him is if ancelotti really doesn't fancy him.

• Advertisement

No harm in testing the water with a little bid on ancelotti's desk on wednesday morning....whats the worst that could happen?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I've said it before and I'll say it again there is an awful air of wanker off Joe Cole.

Good player but...meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

He has a responsibility to portray things accurately.
    To whom?

Em.....this is an easy one. The audience!!! You know, the license payers. Or do you think it's ok to be paid to talk sh!te, probably deliberately at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

He rotates on average less than Fergie and as much as Wenger.
    But Rafa is the rotation expert.:rolleyes:

Disagree completely.
    You can't only highlight the bad of a system and consider your self objective.

In that case I can say Rafa has made £100,000,000 from selling players.:rolleyes:
    Same thing.
    You can't give one side, and not another.

No you can't.
    Ronnie said Rafa has been constantly trying to sell Alonso for the last few years.
    Trying to sell Alonso once, 11 months ago, and since coming out and saying that he really doesn't ant to sell him, is once again as far from what Ronnie said as possible.

No it's not.
    He's paid to know things.
    If he wants to know nothing, then he should stay at home.
    If he wants to get paid to represent the truth, then he should do so.

As I said, what he does, is the same as a journalist just making up the news.
    Something, which as a Liverpool fan, I have an understandably massive problem with.

Your problem, and the problem that a lot of people will have with your posts, is that they are blinkered as hell. You don't know a lot of the above as fhact, and neither do most people, which leads to speculation on each and every issue. Whelan takes up an opinion contrary to yours, you can't prove him wrong. In fact you completely ignored what I said in my post and just went on with your own bull headed, straight from rafa's bum's biography, reply (if you read my post beyond a baby's reading level, you would have seen that I was allowing both sides of the argument, but showing how someone could come out with the statements that Whelan was saying).

The fact that RTE are still paying him, and not paying, say, Karmafaerie, blinkered Liverpool fan #75 from boards.ie, means that people are tuning in to listen to him, as much as that infuriates you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

.You don't know a lot of the above as fhact, and neither do most people, which leads to speculation on each and every issue.

yes it's very difficult to calculate how much we have spent, how many goals we have conceded and how many changes we have made in comparison to others...

whelan doesnt like rafa and spreads disinformation, which idiots come on here and spout, getting regular posters wound up and in some cases banned and in other cases driving off good posters. so yes, damn you karma for saying thats a bad thing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

yes it's very difficult to calculate how much we have spent, how many goals we have conceded and how many changes we have made in comparison to others...

whelan doesnt like rafa and spreads disinformation, which idiots come on here and spout, getting regular posters wound up and in some cases banned and in other cases driving off good posters. so yes, damn you karma for saying thats a bad thing...

So you have access to the full accounts of Liverpool FC, know for a fact that the goal would still have gone in, even if you weren't using zonal marking, and that the fantasy rafa website is nothing to do with trying to guess what formation and rotation Benitiz chooses, that people might be giving out because of how he rotates, rather than how often?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

So you have access to the full accounts of Liverpool FC, know for a fact that the goal would still have gone in, even if you weren't using zonal marking, and that the fantasy rafa website is nothing to do with trying to guess what formation and rotation Benitiz chooses, that people might be giving out because of how he rotates, rather than how often?

Whatever about what Karma is arguing, the point that he is making regarding the general standard of punditry on RTE, from ex Liverpool players in particular, being pretty damn poor is accurate.

Houghton and Whelan were talking out of their arse on RTE yesterday and anyone and everyone is entitled to call them up on it as we pay their poxxy wages.
    Rafa did not take some random disliking to Alonso last summer - Rafa tried to sign Barry and the board would not sanction the transfer due to Parry being a clown. Rafa then choose to cash in on Alonso due to Alonso having shown pretty poor form for the previous two seasons. No clubs made an offer that matched the clubs valuation for Alonso and Alonso stayed at the club and Barry stayed at Villa. Alonso was then involved in virtually every match that he was fit to play and had the season of his life.

Rafa has not been actively trying to sell Alonso this summer - He has repeatedly stated that Alonso is not for sale and that he will remain a Liverpool player. The press have been constantly harping on about how Real had offered 25 million and how the club rejected the transfer.

The final statement that basically suggested that Rafa was trying to sell Alonso as Rafa reckoned he could get 20 million for him and how there isn't really anyone else in the squad that he could get this much money for.

If you didn't know any better, the only thing you could take from Whelan and Houghton's comment was that Rafa hates Alonso and has been actively trying to sell him for 20 million because no one else in the club would garner such a fee.

As a fan of Liverpool FC, I despise what is going on at the club being misrepresented in this fashion. Ex-players being responsible for facts being misrepresented in this fashion makes me sick and there is absolutely no excuse for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Zonal marking is not a perfect system, he can of course point out it's flaws if he wants, when Liverpool concede. If Liverpool never conceded, then you'd have a point.

Goal conceded with Zonal - System is flawed
    Goal conceded with man marking - player is wrong
    goes to show the intelligence of the critics analysing matches these days

Amazing that this flawed system has brought more clean sheets that any other team in the last few years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Ex-players being responsible for facts being misrepresented in this fashion makes me sick and there is absolutely no excuse for it.

Spot on. I couldn't agree more.

Liverpool have just had their best league campaign in years, with some great wins against notably Chelsea and United can you show me 10 positive comments made by Whelan about Liverpool this season? Cause I cant remember any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

micks wrote: »
    Liverpool have just had their best league campaign in years, with some great wins against notably Chelsea and United can you show me 10 positive comments made by Whelan about Liverpool this season? Cause I cant remember any.

They had their best league campaign against an injury decimated Arsenal squad and a Chelsea team in heavy transition. They still fell short of a United side that, imo, was weaker than previous seasons and finished only completely securing 2nd place on the last day of the season (had they lost they could have finished 3rd).

I think some realism and perspective is required. The key question is, why did the league's top scoring team tie so many games (11), especially at home (7), against bottom half teams (Hull, Stoke Blackburn, Bolton)?

Chelsea seemed to have recovered as the season ended and will probably be a far more settled and hence formidable opponent next season, Arsenal may get the 2-3 players they need to lift them up to Liverpool's level. Villa, Everton and Spurs may improve on previous seasons.

Lots of if's and but's but it would be far, far better to not rest and be happy with 2nd place now and critique the team in case those if's and but's come to pass and knock Liverpool down the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

GuanYin wrote: »
    They had their best league campaign against an injury decimated Arsenal squad and a Chelsea team in heavy transition. They still fell short of a United side that, imo, was weaker than previous seasons and finished only completely securing 2nd place on the last day of the season (had they lost they could have finished 3rd).

I think some realism and perspective is required. The key question is, why did the league's top scoring team tie so many games (11), especially at home (7), against bottom half teams (Hull, Stoke Blackburn, Bolton)?

Chelsea seemed to have recovered as the season ended and will probably be a far more settled and hence formidable opponent next season, Arsenal may get the 2-3 players they need to lift them up to Liverpool's level. Villa, Everton and Spurs may improve on previous seasons.

Lots of if's and but's but it would be far, far better to not rest and be happy with 2nd place now and critique the team in case those if's and but's come to pass and knock Liverpool down the table.

:rolleyes: Do we have to go through this all over again? I'll keep it short. United amassed 90 points this season. Their 2nd highest total ever in the PL. Their highest in the their last 3 PL wins. Broke the clean sheet record. Really there for the taking weren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

complete and utter boll!x, so how many times has the premier league finished with 3 clubs winning enough points to win the league in a solid number of seasons? also united finished around 15/20 points ahead of their 1999 total. finally it was our highest finish ever in the PL.

your opinion means squat when the points totals clearly prove you're wrong.

EDIT: oh and what the f*ck has that got to do with Whelan, talk about stirring the ****...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Chelsea had to win by a big margin to go above Liverpool on the last day of the season.
    Manchester United finished on 90 points (one of there highest tallys?) Nothing weak about that.
    Arsenal had injuries but so did Liverpool, Torres and Gerard started 14 games (approx)

Liverpool finished with 86 points, i'm happy we challenged and improved which i hope we can do again next season.

I probably could if i had the tapes and the inclination, neither of which i have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

United got 90 points last season. More than previous seasons. So how exactly were they weaker. This is just the kind of nonsense Whelan, Dunphy & Co come out with to lessen Liverpool's season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

mike65 wrote: »
    Now now. Play fair.

Originally Posted by zAbbo

Anyone know the stats if we win the last game?

top clean sheets? 21 if none conceeded on Sunday
    most points ever? yes
    most points to not win league? yes
    most goals? yes 74 so far in Prem
    consecutive wins? dunno, but done well on games without defeat, 10 in a row twice this season
    leasts games lost? yes, 2 games is a record for a team not to win title with and lowest ever for Liverpool in Prem
    etc.

Also thought this should be posted if anyone needs to readjust their perspective on how good our League campaign was last season. Not good enough to win the League this year, but you never know, a carbon copy season next year could be well enough to do it. It would have been in most other PL seasons.

You must have stopped reading after "Liverpool have just had their best league campaign in years" ?

Surely a comentator or analyst would see some positive the Liverpool's season. I dont recall mentioning or claiming any reasons why they had the season they had?

I probably could if i had the tapes and the inclination, neither of which i have.

So sources are only required in reference to negative statements about Ronnie?

So sources are only required in reference to negative statements about Ronnie?

What are you talking about?

Link???? Source????........or just an opinion you hold?????????

Maybe this

Maybe this

And?.......try and be a little less ambiguous will you.

You must have stopped reading after "Liverpool have just had their best league campaign in years" ?

Surely a comentator or analyst would see some positive the Liverpool's season. I dont recall mentioning or claiming any reasons why they had the season they had?

I see plenty of positives, I'd still like to see them address the number of home tie games. 7 is an awful lot, if they want to be champions, they need to break teams down or kill them off at home. Effectively, if they'd won less than half of those games, they'd be EPL Champions.

I'm much happier to see Liverpool do well and win the league, if only for the sake of diversity, but I think in any team I play, when we don't win a competition, we address the reasons we didn't and focus there, we certainly don't rest on a second place laurel, you won't improve doing that.

Regarding Whelan, critics critique.

Regarding United's best ever season :rolleyes: IMO the league quality wasn't as good this year, past United teams would have destroyed the current side but thats off topic here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

liverpool are like dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Regarding United's best ever season IMO the league quality wasn't as good this year, past United teams would have destroyed the current side but thats off topic here

maybe, but it is the squad that wion them the league this year, and at 60 odd games, the previous squads wouldn't have done it.

as regards to critics, it seems most former liverpool players don't have a good word to say about how the team does now, but these guys gave blood, sweat and plenty of hard graft to put LFC on the top of the world, so i doubt they would be happy with 2nd place for the club now, no matter what the points total/money spent/rotation policy is. When they played football for liverpool, they were winners, and anything less wasn't acceptable. Hansen, Beglin, Lawrenson, Whelan and whoever else you care to mention.

am i happy as an lfc fan that we had our best finish in years?
    no, i want the league, anything else is simply not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

So everyone else will improve and Liverpool wont, thus us falling down the league and everyone else finishing ahead of us. Yep Rafa is going to sit on his hands this transfer window.
    Yep we have just lost two of our best players, oh wait no, thats Man U.
    Chelsea's squad just continues to age.
    and Arsenal's team could do with a bit of bite. CM just jumps off the page when I look at their team.

Complete and utter rubbish.

Fromvert wrote: »
    So everyone else will improve and Liverpool wont, thus us falling down the league and everyone else finishing ahead of us. Yep Rafa is going to sit on his hands this transfer window.

Did I say that?

I merely asked a question, that noone has answered, how do Liverpool address the number of tie games last season? They did well to finish second, but ultimately, that was their downfall.

Can they address this? I haven't said they won't, I haven't said they can't.

I'm sure they'll stengthen, but what and how?
    Yep we have just lost two of our best players, oh wait no, thats Man U.
    Chelsea's squad just continues to age.
    and Arsenal's team could do with a bit of bite. CM just jumps off the page when I look at their team.
    United have lost IMO their two best players, they have 80 million to address that, something none of the other top 4 teams will have. The idea that Chelsea's squad is too old is rather foolish. They have enough depth to challenge.

Arsenal look inadequate right now and I think they need a few players to challenge, but then 2 seasons ago everyone said the same thing and they look incredible for half the season.

However, at the end of the day, Liverpool need to address the shortcomings of last season, their inability to beat weak teams at home, in order to win the league. I'm not sure what that requires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Graham Hunter on newstlak earlier said Alonso has been quoted as saying his move to Madrid is not impossible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

kida wrote: »
    Graham Hunter on newstlak earlier said Alonso has been quoted as saying his move to Madrid is not impossible

Yup, heard him this mornin'. Fee reportedly 30-35m euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It seems like Rafa's biggest fight this summer is going to be keeping his midfield intact. All the while, he needs to add something this his attack. Whether you need width or not, you without a doubt need at least one more top quality attacker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

Did I say that?

I merely asked a question, that noone has answered, how do Liverpool address the number of tie games last season? They did well to finish second, but ultimately, that was their downfall.

Can they address this? I haven't said they won't, I haven't said they can't.

I'm sure they'll stengthen, but what and how?

United have lost IMO their two best players, they have 80 million to address that, something none of the other top 4 teams will have. The idea that Chelsea's squad is too old is rather foolish. They have enough depth to challenge.

Arsenal look inadequate right now and I think they need a few players to challenge, but then 2 seasons ago everyone said the same thing and they look incredible for half the season.

However, at the end of the day, Liverpool need to address the shortcomings of last season, their inability to beat weak teams at home, in order to win the league. I'm not sure what that requires.

you do not simply replace the best player in the world. regardless of whether you have got 80million pounds or not. you cannot play 80 million pounds in ronaldoes old position!!! UTD have been the team that have gone backwards the most in this transfer window. make no mistake about that. if liverpool can simply keep the team intact they will finish ahead of them next season imo. as it also appears that any player UTD are trying to sign to replace cristiano madrid also have their eyes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Xabi is being very non commital - and who can blame him after last summer. He said yesterday that a move to Madrid was not impossible but that he'd be happy to stay where he is. He also added a comment about knowing what was actually going on as opposed to what's being reported in the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

PHB wrote: »
    It seems like Rafa's biggest fight this summer is going to be keeping his midfield intact. All the while, he needs to add something this his attack. Whether you need width or not, you without a doubt need at least one more top quality attacker.

I wonder how he will play it. He has Voronin coming back (possible he might not get to sell him off), and Ngog seems to be maturing at international level. Kuyt and Babel can both play up front, and Nemeth still in reserves. So I don't think it'll be a striker.

But then Benayoun and Kuyt are strong options at RM, and Riera and Babel at LM. So which starter is going to make way?

I think it might have to be a new first choice LM, ideally one who can also play right or in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

zing wrote: »
    He also added a comment about knowing what was actually going on as opposed to what's being reported in the media.

Which I reckon refers to Rafa saying he is going nowhere unless we secure a specific replacement, and obviously if the money is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Dickerty wrote: »
    I wonder how he will play it. He has Voronin coming back (possible he might not get to sell him off), and Ngog seems to be maturing at international level. Kuyt and Babel can both play up front, and Nemeth still in reserves. So I don't think it'll be a striker.

But then Benayoun and Kuyt are strong options at RM, and Riera and Babel at LM. So which starter is going to make way?

I think it might have to be a new first choice LM, ideally one who can also play right or in the hole.

Totally agree with the fact that we don't need a striker, but another top class finisher would be nice imo - Kuyt, Babel, Ngog & Nemeth are not what I would describe as 'top class' finishers.

Benayoun & Kuyt are strong options yes, Benny more so IMO. But another attacking option down the right would be my choice - we've strengthened it up a bit with Johnson, but someone that will really go at opposition defences is what we need.

LM - hmm. I really like Rieira, don't know if I'm in the minority or not, but the man has everything you need on the right; pace, skill, ability to take on players, and a decent crosser - and he can shoot too. He just needs to work on his consistency, which I'm hoping will come as he's now more settled.

Some back up would be nice on the left however.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement