Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Totally agree with the fact that we don't need a striker, but another top class finisher would be nice imo - Kuyt, Babel, Ngog & Nemeth are not what I would describe as 'top class' finishers.

Benayoun & Kuyt are strong options yes, Benny more so IMO. But another attacking option down the right would be my choice - we've strengthened it up a bit with Johnson, but someone that will really go at opposition defences is what we need.

LM - hmm. I really like Rieira, don't know if I'm in the minority or not, but the man has everything you need on the right; pace, skill, ability to take on players, and a decent crosser - and he can shoot too. He just needs to work on his consistency, which I'm hoping will come as he's now more settled.

Some back up would be nice on the left however.

Problem with trying to sign another serious striker is that we couldn't guarantee them a place.

I think Kuyt's place is safer that Riera's. The latter needs to change it up more, he is a bit one paced and generally does the same things, so easier to defend. Kuyt will cut inside, or will go to the byline, or will play a one-two and get into the box. And he gets on the end of things coming inside. Overall, he is a bigger threat and a bigger handful, if a less skillful player.

Ah well, Rafa knows best (usually).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

astrofool wrote: »
    Your problem, and the problem that a lot of people will have with your posts, is that they are blinkered as hell. You don't know a lot of the above as fhact, and neither do most people, which leads to speculation on each and every issue. Whelan takes up an opinion contrary to yours, you can't prove him wrong. In fact you completely ignored what I said in my post and just went on with your own bull headed, straight from rafa's bum's biography, reply (if you read my post beyond a baby's reading level, you would have seen that I was allowing both sides of the argument, but showing how someone could come out with the statements that Whelan was saying).

The fact that RTE are still paying him, and not paying, say, Karmafaerie, blinkered Liverpool fan #75 from boards.ie, means that people are tuning in to listen to him, as much as that infuriates you.

First off, I'll have you know I'm blinkered Liverpool fan #1.

Secondly, seeming as you want to bring reading level into this, allow me to educate you.

My problem with all the facts (oh sorry, did I forget the H?:rolleyes:) that Ronnie uses is that they are completely fabricated bulsh1t!

Plain and simple.

If Ronnie was saying "I think that Rafa is the wrong man for the job because of my professional opinion" then fair enough.
    Lots of people say that.
    Do you see me complaining about them?

No.

Ronnie is saying "I think Rafa is the wrong man for the job because *insert whichever one of the lies he spouts here*".

Is this so hard for you to understand.

He.....comes....on.....national.....TV.....spouting.....inacuracies.....as.....facts!!!!!!!!

This is why I have a problem with him.

Add to that the testimony of numerous ex players, and fans who've met him personaly, and I have more than enough right to post my opinion on him.

And guess the fu€k what.

I'm not being paid to do this.
    I am very pro Liverpool, and very pro Rafa.
    I've never, ever, denied that.

But if I was being paid to be an objective anylist, I'd sure as hell be one.
    If I wasn't able to be, I wouldn't do it.

As I have said time and time again, this is a bloody internet forum.
    You can spout any sh1te you want on it, and I do quite regularly.
    This however is not primetime RTÉ 2 with an audience of tens of thousands, that I am being paid to post on.

If you can't see the difference, then you're beyond a lost cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Rafa has said we can buy one more player without selling anyone. I wonder does he mean a 20m player? That would be nice
    If we sold Leto (3m), Voronin (3m), Dossena (4m) and Arbeloa (who I don’t want to sell, but don’t want to lose for nothing either) (6m), then we could probably buy one more. If we can add a quality AM and good cover for CM then our squad would be in excellent shape.

GK: Reina, Cavalieri
    RB: Johnson, Degen/Darby
    LB: Aurelio, Insua
    CB: Carragher, San Jose/Kelly
    CB: Agger, Skrtel
    DM: Mascherano, NEW SIGNING
    CM: Alonso, Lucas
    RM: Kuyt, Babel
    LM: NEW SIGNING, Riera
    AM: Gerrard, Benayoun
    ST: Torres, N’Gog, Nemeth

That would be a very good summer. Added defensive cover would also be nice. Distin would be an excellent addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,733 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

But if I was being paid to be an objective anylist, I'd sure as hell be one.
    If I wasn't able to be, I wouldn't do it.

I think this is impossble, he gave his footballing career to the club during a purple patch in the clubs history. Asking him to be objective about a club that no doubt runs through his blood is asking too much, he does seem over critical of Liverpool Fc, but it is human nature to be hurt more about something you love.

You have to remember that footballers, including ex footballers are not professors and almost always are early school leavers, they will say some stupid things at times, which has to be forgiven, because we can't expect teenage football heros to be academics aswell, it's not fair.

As for Houghton, he universally dislikes everybody and since retiring has yet to see a good goal, it is always always someones fault. At least he is consistent I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Rafa has said we can buy one more player without selling anyone. I wonder does he mean a 20m player? That would be nice
    If we sold Leto (3m), Voronin (3m), Dossena (4m) and Arbeloa (who I don’t want to sell, but don’t want to lose for nothing either) (6m), then we could probably buy one more. If we can add a quality AM and good cover for CM then our squad would be in excellent shape.

That would be a very good summer. Added defensive cover would also be nice. Distin would be an excellent addition.
    That's a fair post. I'd have Babel in the LM slot beside Reira though and move NEW SIGNING to RM. If you're putting in Darby and Nemeth I'd imagine Spearing will probably feature somewhere in midfield as well.

I think it’s obvious listening to Hansen, Lawrenson, Thompson, Fairclough, Barnes, Dalglish (obviously), Rush, Aldridge and many others that they still have a lot of affection for Liverpool.
    Whelan and to a lesser extent Houghton (who I think has softened a bit in the last year) don’t give that impression at all. Just come across as bitter towards a club that gave them so many opportunities.

Boggles wrote: »
    I think this is impossble, he gave his footballing career to the club during a purple patch in the clubs history. Asking him to be objective about a club that no doubt runs through his blood is asking too much, he does seem over critical of Liverpool Fc, but it is human nature to be hurt more about something you love.

You have to remember that footballers, including ex footballers are not professors and almost always are early school leavers, they will say some stupid things at times, which has to be forgiven, because we can't expect teenage football heros to be academics aswell, it's not fair.

As for Houghton, he universally dislikes everybody and since retiring has yet to see a good goal, it is always always someones fault. At least he is consistent I suppose.

But that's just it Boggles.
    It's not Liverpool that he admits to having a problem with.
    It's Rafa.

malice_ wrote: »
    That's a fair post. I'd have Babel in the LM slot beside Reira though and move NEW SIGNING to RM. If you're putting in Darby and Nemeth I'd imagine Spearing will probably feature somewhere in midfield as well.

i put the other two in because of lack of cover. Hopefully we'll see a 4th CM brought in and Spearing can be sent on loan. i still have major doubts about his ability at the top level.

When you think about it, Kuyt was the 6th top scorer in the league last year.
    Also the sixth top number of assists.

And he has the most goals/assists form the wing.

I'm more than happy with Kuyt in present form, on the right for a long time to come.

When you think about it, Kuyt was the 6th top scorer in the league last year.
    Also the sixth top number of assists.

And he has the most goals/assists form the wing.

Maybe, but i heard someone on RTE saying he was crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Boggles wrote: »

i get a good laugh from houghton, as you say, never pleased. ronaldo's super goal in the semi final was the keepers fault. etc... beglin is also hilarious, with his "when i was at liverpool..." comments.

and just to mention, dunphy is a comic genius, got sick of his tripe for a few years till he went on the late late about the recession, started crying and everything, brilliant, i was in stitches, the man is a stone wall legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

With Plessis and Spearing, think we are ok at CM, assuming no-one leaves. I think the concern is any absence of Torres leaves us a little light, but that's just cause he's so hard to replace...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,733 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

thebhoy wrote: »
    i get a good laugh from houghton, as you say, never pleased. ronaldo's super goal in the semi final was the keepers fault. etc... beglin is also hilarious, with his "when i was at liverpool..." comments.

and just to mention, dunphy is a comic genius, got sick of his tripe for a few years till he went on the late late about the recession, started crying and everything, brilliant, i was in stitches, the man is a stone wall legend.

Beglin has actually got less annoying over the years, he used equal mute straight away.

Houghton for me seems like a guy who just does not like football, his favourtie saying is "Ahhhh, this is Terrible George".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Dickerty wrote: »
    With Plessis and Spearing, think we are ok at CM, assuming no-one leaves. I think the concern is any absence of Torres leaves us a little light, but that's just cause he's so hard to replace...

plessis will never make it, there are better options in the reserves than him!

also i dont see lucas ever taking Alonso's role in the squad. Lucas plays in the position stevie used to play in, a box to box midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

First off, I'll have you know I'm blinkered Liverpool fan #1.

There's been many many blinkered Liverpool (and other team) fans on this forum over the years, long before you.
    Secondly, seeming as you want to bring reading level into this, allow me to educate you.

My problem with all the facts (oh sorry, did I forget the H?:rolleyes:) that Ronnie uses is that they are completely fabricated bulsh1t!

You see, this is where your entire post falls down. They are not fabricated bullsh1t, they are points that get raised about Liverpool and Benitez time and time again, because they are based on what has happened at the club, just a couple of posts ago, a pool fan commented that he couldn't blame Alonso wanting to leave due to what happened last summer.

But no, you only have one version of events in your mind (which is f*cking hilarious by the way, as you go off on one every time someone might veer from the "official Liverpool storyboard"), and then try to defend Liverpool and Benitez (three trophyless years now?) without admitting that they could have done better, and will have to improve next season to actually win something.

Whelan is an analyst, his analysis is contradicting to yours. Your analysis falls down completely because you're so biased for Liverpool. Whelan may dislike Rafa, but the fact that he was a top performer for Liverpool, winning lots of trophies, gives his opinion a lot more weight than yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Torres interview after Spain wind up SA campaign I've cut the Spain/South Africa stuff.
    http://www.fernando9torres.com/?p=3261
    Madrid Was Killing Me

Fernando opens up in an interview with El Paris. He looks you in the eye when he speaks; talking in a measured tone, but with an elaborate discourse which makes his sentences even more weighted. At 25, he hopes that this afternoon’s match against South Africa will be his last match of the season. “The boss decides, but if he wants me to, I’ll be delighted to play,” he said last Thursday, one day after the defeat to the United States, which will prevent him from taking on the role he took in Vienna a year ago, when his precious goal awarded Spain the European Championship title.

What’s left of El Niňo?

What does the word encapsulate? When I joined Atleti’s first team I was just a boy, like all those who go up from the youth team, I suppose. But it was my lot to remain with the nickname, perhaps because at 18 years old I was already captain. It was an enormous responsibility, excessive and unnecessary.

A historic club such as Atleti should never have allowed itself such a luxury; but the situation—economic and sports-wise—was complicated, and that deflected attention to other things, which meant we weren’t able to take care of the small details.

And now, at 25 years old, you are one of many captains in the NT, but fourth or fifth in line. Lesson learned, perhaps?

In the NT I have had the time to progress. There are far more veteran teammates and I learn from them. I still share a dressing room with people who were there when I just arrived. In Atletico, after three years there was no one left from the first squad.

So was it difficult at Atletico?

Very difficult, it's a very difficult club. They survive on their history, and if they are a great club it’s because of that history. But nowadays it’s not competing as a great club. Madrid and Barcelona are way ahead of them. Even Valencia and Sevilla have got to the top. But people continue to live on the dreams of old days, but the reality is quite different.

I remember that Luis - when he took charge of the team the year we got promoted - warned: “To recover the lost time we need about 5 years.” Just five years, that’s all we needed to get back to the Champions League. But it was very difficult to get it into people’s heads that we were not the Atleti of the old days, that we needed five, six, seven years to get back to where we once were.

As a Liverpool player, does it scare you that United now has 94 million Euros to spend on new players?

I would have preferred if that money had been invested in Spain, but I suppose it prevents other Spanish clubs from seeking reinforcements. As far as we’re concerned, our great rival has a lot of money to improve their squad, but it will be difficult for them to find players of the calibre of Tevez or Ronaldo.

Can Liverpool afford to sell Xabi Alonso?

It would be a great…well, a bad move. (A slight miscue of language I suspect! - mike65) But I have to think of Xabi’s well-being above all. He’s quite a hermit in some ways. The truth is that I don’t really know what’s going on inside his head. He has three years left on his contract and I would like him to stay with us, he would be a grave loss.

You once said that Luis (Aragonès) was tough on you. How about Benítez?

Benítez doesn’t get quite as 'personal' as Luis. Luis is a motivator that gets you going just by his way of being, because if you don’t pull your weight he has no qualms about leaving you behind. Rafa is more about the professional aspect…He wants you to improve on every single detail and in every movement, and he always explains why. He is obsessed with the idea of doing things because you understand—you must understand the reason why he asks you to do it. It’s not about him saying ‘do this because I say so.’ Not at all.

“Do it this way, for this reason. Do you understand? No? Well, let me explain.” That’s Benítez. I remember that when he signed me I was being widely criticized for not being a well-known goalscorer. The first thing he told me was that I was signed to score goals. Benítez is adamant that you live in the area because according to him goals are scored in that area. That was the first thing he said to me, that the wings are for wing players and the striker must concern himself with the central defenders. In the NT it is totally different, you have to move around. In Liverpool I focus on the central defender so that Gerrard can enter the area unnoticed.

Are English defenders very hard to deal with?

No, physically, they are hard. But they are also less disciplined. It is more difficult to create scoring opportunities, but when you do get them out of position they are more vulnerable. For that reason teams like Manchester and Chelsea are more competitive, because defensively they are quite organized. For any English team, if they’ve got a bit of quality up front it gets really competitive.

Is that what Liverpool are lacking?

We are lacking impact players on the flanks, like Tevez and Ronaldo are for United. Players that make a difference in home games. In fact, Liverpool has lost league titles at home, against mid-table teams. We need people like Iniesta, Silva, Cazorla, Mata…We need quality and people who can wreak havoc on the flanks.

Was the hardest part of adapting to England understanding Benítez in English?

When in the presence of other people, he always spoke to me in English. When alone, in Spanish. At first I didn’t understand the timetables, I didn’t know where I was supposed to go…I didn’t understand anything. Thank goodness Álvaro, Xabi and Pepe were there. I remember Pepe telling me when I arrived to prepare to have fun.

And he was right?

I asked him about Anfield and he said to me: “Until you see it, you wont understand.” On my debut, against Chelsea, while we were greeting each other and the fans were singing ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone,’ I remember him coming up to me and whispering: “This is what I was talking about. Enjoy it.” I can’t even begin to describe the day when I discovered that they were coming up with a song in my honour.

How do the English regard the Spanish League?

With much interest; and with Barcelona as the main reference this year, there is much admiration. Everyone has seen how they were superior to Manchester. But the Spanish league is not watched with envy; it’s taken for granted that the Premier League is stronger, based on the results of English teams in the Champions League, of course.

Well, people say you are quite cold.

I don’t know. It depends on the situation. I am not used to expressing my feelings outwardly; it just doesn’t suit me. It is nothing premeditated, and I’m not putting on airs. It’s difficult for me to open myself up; that’s true. I keep it all inside because I don’t want to contaminate those around me with my problems.

Are you superstitious?
    Every day less and less so. I still have certain rituals if things are going well, but every day less and less. I used to be much worse than I am now.

And Luis, what did he used to say?

What could he say when he was much worse than me?! I remember one time he asked the grounds keeper to change the cones on the training ground because they were yellow. And the year we got promoted, our away jersey was yellow, no doubt. You should have seen his face when he came into the dressing room and saw us all dressed in yellow. We were winning 0-1 in Molinas in the 89th minute. They drew level in the 90th and Ledhiakov’s team ended up winning the match. Of course it was the jersey’s fault.

I think those little routines are very typical of footballers. More than superstitions, they are habits, customs. At the end of the day it’s all nonsense but it puts your mind at rest. In truth, football is a mental game and what a footballer needs is confidence, security.

And mentally, how does someone like you cope, especially as you are about to become a father?

Let’s say that my perspective on things has changed a lot in the last few years. Since I have been in Liverpool even more so. A huge weight of responsibility has been lifted off my shoulders, a responsibility which followed me at Atletico, with every step I took. I was a fan and the captain of the same team and that became unbearable.

But, basically, in Liverpool I have gained a certain quality of life. Now I can go and do things that in Madrid were impossible. It might seem that since you are from there, you have everything to make you happy but it’s nothing like that. Madrid was killing me. I couldn’t go to the cinema, or shopping; the team was not doing well, it was a permanent anguish. In Liverpool everything is the opposite: you get used to winning, you can go out on the street, people respect you…

There's been many many blinkered Liverpool (and other team) fans on this forum over the years, long before you.

Read between the lines.
    I as making fun of the fact that I'm the number one poster in this thread.

It seems I really do need to spell things out to you.:rolleyes:

astrofool wrote:
    You see, this is where your entire post falls down. They are not fabricated bullsh1t, they are points that get raised about Liverpool and Benitez time and time again, because they are based on what has happened at the club, just a couple of posts ago, a pool fan commented that he couldn't blame Alonso wanting to leave due to what happened last summer.

So you're saying, that Rafa has being trying to sell Alonso for the last few years, because of an argument, and Rafa wants rid?
    That he and Rafa had an argument a few years ago, and now Rafa wants to sell him as he knows he will get about £20,000,000 for him.

Cause that's what Whelan said.

Is that true?

Is thaere any evidence backing this up at all?

Has Rafa come out this season saying the EXACT oposit of that?
    astrofool wrote:
    But no, you only have one version of events in your mind (which is f*cking hilarious by the way, as you go off on one every time someone might veer from the "official Liverpool storyboard"), and then try to defend Liverpool and Benitez (three trophyless years now?) without admitting that they could have done better, and will have to improve next season to actually win something.

Inoring the glaring, and quite childish trolling attempt, I'll ask you once again, what do I have to do with Whelan?

Are you suggesting that Ronnie reads my posts on boards, and then goes and tailers his "expert opinion" on TV to counter it?
    astrofool wrote:
    Whelan is an analyst, his analysis is contradicting to yours. Your analysis falls down completely because you're so biased for Liverpool. Whelan may dislike Rafa, but the fact that he was a top performer for Liverpool, winning lots of trophies, gives his opinion a lot more weight than yours.

You really are slow on the uptake here.

I'M NOT AN ANALYST.

I'm just a fan posting on a forum.
    My opinion, is just that, and while I'm truely flattered that you think it carries so much weight as to compare it to one of the greatest footballers this country has ever produced, sadly you're alone in that.
    Me posting on boards is not comparable with an ex player playing out what is basically a personal vandetta, on national prime time tv.

Please tell me you understand this, so as to allay my fears in the countries education system!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Best quote ever from Torres on Xabi Alonso - "He's quite a hermit in some ways."

:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

RM: Kuyt, NEW SIGNING
    LM: Riera, Babel
    ST: Torres, NEW SIGNING, N’Gog, Nemeth

Kuyt may have had a great season last year but I think we need a different alternative to him on the right.

I think a skillful dribbler is what Liverpool need in a wide player rather than a knock it past and run after it player

• Advertisement

slingerz wrote: »

Kuyt may have had a great season last year but I think we need a different alternative to him on the right.

I think a skillful dribbler is what Liverpool need in a wide player rather than a knock it past and run after it player

that's why i had Babel listed on the right. In reality many of our attacking players are quite flexible. Gerrard, benayoun, Babel and Kuyt all offer something a little different on the right hand side. I listed NEW signing as a LM but it could be either left or right to be honest. Preferrably someone who can play both positions.

If we sign a new striker it's going to be either someone experienced who can play up front on their own but won't mind playing second fiddle to Torres. I don't think there are a huge many of those about.
    The other option is a young player who for now will settle for a squad place. Without spending biggish money i don't think we'll improve much on N'gog in that regard.
    It's a dillema. Babel, Kuyt, N'Gog, Nemeth can all play up front and i have confidence (to varying degrees) in all of them. None come close to replacing Torres but who are we going to get that will?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Fascinating interview with Torres, thanks Mike. It's good to hear a footballer talk in a measured, intelligent way like that. Makes me think he'd make a good manager some day, except he's probably too smart to want to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

monkey9 wrote: »
    Em.....this is an easy one. The audience!!! You know, the license payers. Or do you think it's ok to be paid to talk sh!te, probably deliberately at times

I don't care what Ronnie says. And I don't care what he gets paid. His punditry is mostly attached to CL games and I'm happy RTE stumped up the cash to show them in my living room. The alternative? Spending my time and money in the pub with SKY. For me, that's a no-brainer.

My choice is to treat the opinions of TV football pundits in the same way I (and most of us here, I presume) treat the speculations, lies, sh!t-stirring, rumour-mongering, editorialising, page-filling (etc...) and general nonsense that goes on in the red-top press.

I also acknowledge the fact that these media institutions have little or no power over how the game unfolds on the pitch and, tbh, that's all that really matters. IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

His punditry is mostly attached to CL games and I'm happy RTE stumped up the cash to show them in my living room. The alternative? Spending my time and money in the pub with SKY. For me, that's a no-brainer.
    yes, but it's YOUR cash they stumped up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Read between the lines.
    I as making fun of the fact that I'm the number one poster in this thread.

It seems I really do need to spell things out to you.:rolleyes:

So you're saying, that Rafa has being trying to sell Alonso for the last few years, because of an argument, and Rafa wants rid?
    That he and Rafa had an argument a few years ago, and now Rafa wants to sell him as he knows he will get about £20,000,000 for him.

Cause that's what Whelan said.

Is that true?

Is thaere any evidence backing this up at all?

Has Rafa come out this season saying the EXACT oposit of that?

You really are slow on the uptake here.

Here, yet again, is a paper lending legitimacy to what Ronnie Whelan has said:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6605459.ece

Do you get that it is possible to look at the same issue from two different points of view?

Benitez also came out with a series of fhacts about Manchester United, that were shown to be false, why do you trust him so much about Alonso, despite all the rumours to the contrary (because, there will never be any evidence either way, unless they were taping the conversations).

Whelan has the opposite view to yourself on most things Liverpool. You're crazily optimistically biased in favour of whatever Benitez says and does. But just because Whelan disagrees with you, does not make him a bad analyst, I have shown that on every point, where you say he is lying and making up stories, that the point does have some grounding in reality. If you cannot see that, then it is you that is, ahem, s-l-o-w o-n t-h-e u-p-t-a-k-e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

slingerz wrote: »

I don't get this attitude at all. Why do people still insist we need a right winger when clearly it's the left side that's the issue, what more does Kuyt have to do? I get it he's not a pretty player(or bloke for that matter), what would people prefer? another Riera out on the right wing? a fancy trick here a fancy flick there the for the other 60 minutes you're left wondering is the chap still on the pitch. No thanks, i'll stick with Kuyt, he works hard and he gets results.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hopefully Johnson can add something on the right in conjunction with Kuyt, namely quick overlapping runs and a swift cross.

Do you get that it is possible to look at the same issue from two different points of view?

Benitez also came out with a series of fhacts about Manchester United, that were shown to be false, why do you trust him so much about Alonso, despite all the rumours to the contrary (because, there will never be any evidence either way, unless they were taping the conversations).

Whelan has the opposite view to yourself on most things Liverpool. You're crazily optimistically biased in favour of whatever Benitez says and does. But just because Whelan disagrees with you, does not make him a bad analyst, I have shown that on every point, where you say he is lying and making up stories, that the point does have some grounding in reality. If you cannot see that, then it is you that is, ahem, s-l-o-w o-n t-h-e u-p-t-a-k-e.

That all sounds suspicously like something Ronnie Whelan would say, Ronnie you've been rumbled! Can i ask you one thing? what shampoo do you use, your hair is so shiny.

mike65 wrote: »
    Hopefully Johnson can add something on the right in conjunction with Kuyt, namely quick overlapping runs and a swift cross.

Exactly, theoretically it should be a very exciting and effective partnership and i have every confidence it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

griffdaddy wrote: »
    yes, but it's YOUR cash they stumped up

:rolleyes:

TV licence = €160
    Pub for match x 25 = > 3 times that + taxis (probably)

CL footie is not the only thing on my TV.

Apologies if this has been posted before...

Pleae tell me how this.....

Rafael Benítez, the Liverpool manager, will hold talks with Xabi Alonso this week in a last effort to keep the Spain midfield player, who is determined to leave and is wanted by Real Madrid.

.....equates to Rafa being set on selling Xabi, which is exactly what Ronnie said.
    And I have repeated what Ronnie said about half a dozen times now, so I really am starting to worry about you!:confused:

It's like, the exact oposit!

It's bad enough when someone tries to argue against you nonsensicaly, but when they end up validating your arguements, it just becomes ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

207096-banging_head_wall_uses_150_calories_hour.jpg

I don't get this attitude at all. Why do people still insist we need a right winger when clearly it's the left side that's the issue, what more does Kuyt have to do? I get it he's not a pretty player(or bloke for that matter), what would people prefer? another Riera out on the right wing? a fancy trick here a fancy flick there the for the other 60 minutes you're left wondering is the chap still on the pitch. No thanks, i'll stick with Kuyt, he works hard and he gets results.

For me personally Riera has been a success so far. I don't think he is lightweight at all and he is also the only legit "winger" we have in the traditional sense that could claim a regular starting place. He's got an eye for goal and he can also get past players, what more do ya want?:pac: Sure he had a dip around January/Febuary but I think whole team suffered a dip at that time too.

Riera looked very good in the confederations cup as well, i like him and think he will be a good signing. he is most definitely not the final solution to our wings but he helps...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I wonder what people think is the solution? Silva is often suggested but he seems to be behind Liverpools current LW in the Spanish pecking order

And Whelan insisted the recent demise is the fault of the Liverpool manager and not the club’s American owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks who have taken a lot of the flak from supporters.

“To get beaten by Barnsley - I don’t know what’s going on. The performances on the pitch have been absolutely abysmal,” Whelan told RTE radio.

“Okay, you say ’now and again there’s a cup upset, it’s a one-off’ but it’s not really a one-off at the moment with Liverpool.

“They have no chance of winning the league. And I think the manager is under a lot of pressure now.”

Whelan continued: “He spent an awful lot of money on an awful lot of players and they haven’t been very good signings.

“And people are shouting, ’get rid of the Americans’. The Americans have backed the manager to the hilt. They gave him 46 million or something to spend in the summer.

“He’s spent nearly 140/150 million and he still cannot get close to Manchester United, Arsenal or Chelsea.

“The players he signed I don’t think are good enough. After all the money he’s spent they’re still further behind than they were last year.

“So then you have to start looking at the manager who is buying the players and picking the team.”

Ronnie Whelan believes Rafa Benitez will join Graeme Souness, Roy Evans and Gerard Houllier as Premier League title flops.

The Ireland legend said: "I was on the last Liverpool team that won the title 19 years ago and we couldn't have imagined then it would be the last one for so long.

People ask why, but the only reason you don't win the league is because you haven't got the players that are good enough to win the title.

"Over the years with Graeme Souness and Gerard Houllier, they haven't bought players who are good enough to win the league and that is the be-all and end-all.

"Are they there now? No."

When quizzed on the importance of Rafa’s contract extension in regards to the form of the players, Ronnie had this to say, “It depends on whether the players like him or not. I’m sure that some players that don’t play every week don’t like him and think I wish he was gone”.

"Everything needs to be looked at now. We don't know if the American owners will be there next season or if the Dubai group [Dubai International Capital] will be the new owners.

"Whoever is there will need to decide if they have confidence in Rafa. Personally I don't.

"I doubt the supporters will mind who the owner of the club is as long as they are winning trophies. If they give money to the manager and the manager spends it wisely, that's all the fans care about.

"I think Mourinho would be very good. Look at the players that he brought to Chelsea. He spent the same amount of money that Rafa did and those players are in the Champions League final now.

"He might be a bit unpopular with some people, but if your team is winning, you don't care if a few people don't like your manager."

The last one is my favorite.:rolleyes:

Riera looked very good in the confederations cup as well, i like him and think he will be a good signing. he is most definitely not the final solution to our wings but he helps...

See that's the thing, I think Riera could be the final solution. I think he has bags of talent, and after riding out his first year in England he can only get better playing in this Liverpool team.

Look at the well known English wingers such as Lennon and Young, very good players but given absolutely ridiculous valuations by their respective clubs. Europe in general is worse than England for valuating the "best" wingers. These players are being valued at anything from £20m to £50m, we just can't afford that. What did we get Riera for? £8m? I think that was a great piece of business and potentially, it could be a sensational piece of business.

Anderson gone to Forrest for £250,000.

karma is that article from recently?

LZ5by5 i dont think kuyt, babel, riera, benayoun are enough is what i mean by the final solution, we need more choices on the wing.

LZ5by5 i dont think kuyt, babel, riera, benayoun are enough is what i mean by the final solution, we need more choices on the wing.

From last season.
    Feburary, April and May I think.
    Three seperate articles.
    They were all found on the first page of google by typing "Ronnie Whelan Benitez".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

There's a lot of talk about the 'Final Solution'.. should Benayoun be worried given the way the last one panned out for the jews!

In all seriousness though, I think it's a left winger and a striker you need more than anything. Someone to back up Torres and someone to play out wide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

There's a lot of talk about the 'Final Solution'.. should Benayoun be worried? Given the way the last one panned out for the jews.

indeed!!

Final Solution people? Seriously?

lol! we all know what needs to be done but lets not say anything till they are the trains on the way to the camps!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Benitez also came out with a series of fhacts about Manchester United, that were shown to be false,

No, they were all true. That is why they are facts. Unlike of course the rubbish that Ferguson says about Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Is it just me being bad minded but is the use of the term "Final Solution" distasteful when we have Benni in the team :D

On topic I do think we need a bit more firepower from the wings, I love Kuyt but I think against lesser teams we need more flair and invention, for this reason I liked the rumours about Lavezzi that were doing the rounds earlier and I think someone else to give a different option to Reira would be useful, not sure who though

Lavezzi is a trouble maker though, no thanks!

Lavezzi is a trouble maker though, no thanks!

Him and his prostitutes!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I got the new black jersey yesterday, and I must say it is officially one of the best fitting ones I've ever had. I got a mensize "S" and I was worried it was would be too big, but it hugs the body figure very well - there is no long hang off it at all. Very comfortable around the shoulder and neck area too - and when I was contimplating buying it, having got up close to it for the first time I had to get it - definately one of the best away kits we've had in a long long time. Pity it's only for a year.

http://twitpic.com/8r625

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

Aww. I thought we were gonna get a figure-hugging pose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

PiE wrote: »
    Aww. I thought we were gonna get a figure-hugging pose.
    Nope, sorry to let you down PiE, I know you would've loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

mike65 wrote: »
    Torres interview after Spain wind up SA campaign I've cut the Spain/South Africa stuff.
    http://www.fernando9torres.com/?p=3261

Thanks for this mike.

Was delighted to see that torres opinion of what we are lacking is "impact players" who can "wreak havoc" on the flanks. Ive had my differences with other folk who think kuyt has the position nailed on, on the right. The fact is, that in a tight game against tough opponents kuyt is exactly the man to have in the squad but in terms of opening up teams he just doesnt have the goods to deliver. (i dont need the stats lads, dont bother). Sutlety, cuteness on the ball and a bit of pace are not dirks forte and we do need this in the squad. Hopefully johnson will be some of that solved, i just hope that if this is the case then folk dont bring out his defensive prowess over the next season if indeed the gaffers intention is to have him steaming down the flank to try and open them up.

Talk of lavezzi coming would also give more options here also. Someone spoke of his 'altercations' with prostitutes, well, maybe he aspires to be the italian premier, seems berlusconi has a penchant for them himself :P

Riera has had a great first season imo, all things considered. I dont really see how we could get vastly improved here without spending a huge sum, perhaps rafa is trying to do exactly that.

Anyway, if torres has any influence over rafas targets il be delighted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement