Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I got the new black jersey yesterday, and I must say it is officially one of the best fitting ones I've ever had. I got a mensize "S" and I was worried it was would be too big.

http://twitpic.com/8r625

You got a small and you still thought it would be too big? What size are you? :confused:

Might pick it up myself but have found lately the small is too small and the medium is to big

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I wish a medium was too big for me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

joe123 wrote: »
    You got a small and you still thought it would be too big? What size are you? :confused:

Er, a small?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

it's alright 5star beauty is on the inside.....

psyche psyche psyche

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

daithijjj wrote: »
    Thanks for this mike.

Was delighted to see that torres opinion of what we are lacking is "impact players" who can "wreak havoc" on the flanks. Ive had my differences with other folk who think kuyt has the position nailed on, on the right. The fact is, that in a tight game against tough opponents kuyt is exactly the man to have in the squad but in terms of opening up teams he just doesnt have the goods to deliver. (i dont need the stats lads, dont bother). Sutlety, cuteness on the ball and a bit of pace are not dirks forte and we do need this in the squad. Hopefully johnson will be some of that solved, i just hope that if this is the case then folk dont bring out his defensive prowess over the next season if indeed the gaffers intention is to have him steaming down the flank to try and open them up.

Talk of lavezzi coming would also give more options here also. Someone spoke of his 'altercations' with prostitutes, well, maybe he aspires to be the italian premier, seems berlusconi has a penchant for them himself :P

Riera has had a great first season imo, all things considered. I dont really see how we could get vastly improved here without spending a huge sum, perhaps rafa is trying to do exactly that.

Anyway, if torres has any influence over rafas targets il be delighted.

I'm not trying to start anything here man, but I really don't get it.

And I know you don't believe in stats, but they don't lie.
    And saying "I don't believe in the facts" is best kept as part of Stewart Lee's stand up routine.

Kuyt was the most effective winger in the league last year.
    6th highest goalscorer in whole league.
    6th highest assists in whole league.
    Highest number of assists and goals of any wide player, if you don't count Ronaldo for goals.
    Highest goals and assists from a wide player from open play even if you do count Ronaldo.

(Yes Dirk Kuyt, on the wing, scored more goals from open play than "the worlds best player.")

So you say people are being closed minded and blind when they say that the most effective wide player in the league isn't the spot they'd choose to replace.

But if somebody says that we can do better in the starting 11 than Riera, they're wrong as you don't think he can be improved on, without breaking the bank that is.

It just makes no sense to me.

I completely agree that somebody who can come off the bench to change games, someone with that something special, is desperately needed in the squad.
    And I'm a big fan of Riera.
    But your argument that Kuyt can be improved, and Riera can't really, doesn't make sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

i think Riera has been a very good signing... he seems to be ahead of silva in the Spanish pecking order too.... with a season under his belt and a proper pre season to come up, i think he'll get more assists and goals.. that said i think we are lacking backup on the left...

As far as i'm concerned if Torres is injured then it's between Babel and N'gog next season which is fine with me... both can play by themselves up front and before people say babel is no good, he didn't have a lot of time to show any potential last season and the fact that rafa has challenged him to improve shows that he is in his plans..

Also who is this Mata lad?? Where does he play and is he any good??

And does anyone else think that Torres is talking a bit too much about what players he wants to see come to pool?? i absolutely love the man but everyday there is a new article about him with the likes of "I want villa" and the next day "Villa is too expensive for us"..."We should get Silva, Villa, or Mata" I just don't get why he's talking about transfers so much... anyway

for me silva and riera are much of a muchness,
    I reckon they are more or less in the exact same position with regards the national team with current form and fitness being the deciding factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

mink_man wrote: »
    liverpool are like dublin!

Only when Voronin was playing for us. High and wide, my friend. High and wide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I'm not trying to start anything here man, but I really don't get it.

And I know you don't believe in stats, but they don't lie.
    And saying "I don't believe in the facts" is best kept as part of Stewart Lee's stand up routine.

Kuyt was the most effective winger in the league last year.
    6th highest goalscorer in whole league.
    6th highest assists in whole league.
    Highest number of assists and goals of any wide player, if you don't count Ronaldo for goals.
    Highest goals and assists from a wide player from open play even if you do count Ronaldo.

(Yes Dirk Kuyt, on the wing, scored more goals from open play than "the worlds best player.")

So you say people are being closed minded and blind when they say that the most effective wide player in the league isn't the spot they'd choose to replace.

But if somebody says that we can do better in the starting 11 than Riera, they're wrong as you don't think he can be improved on, without breaking the bank that is.

It just makes no sense to me.

I completely agree that somebody who can come off the bench to change games, someone with that something special, is desperately needed in the squad.
    And I'm a big fan of Riera.
    But your argument that Kuyt can be improved, and Riera can't really, doesn't make sense at all.

You are correct karma, stats dont lie but they are also very liberal with the truth.

Firstly, where have i said that kuyt should be replaced?......never said it once, infact ive complimented him on his season previously, its just my view that he is not the complete footballer. 6th best at whatever indicates there are 5 better, no??

Secondly, kuyt has been at the club alot longer than riera, i expect a bit more now from riera this year, he faded in the last third of the season but overall he has done very well for a first season.

Thirdly, i may have accused people in the past of being narrow-minded when they wont take on board that kuyt cannot offer everything that his position requires. Is it that much of a criticsm???.......who exactly do you think torres is talking about when he talks about what is required???......wide players to "wreak havoc".......hes far too professional to name names but really it doesnt take much thought to realise what hes on about. Fair enough, i didnt make a point in the previous post about what would be needed to be spent to improve on kuyt (similar to rieras tbh). At no point have i ever said that riera cannot be improved upon either, nor have i accused anyone of anything regarding their views on riera (apart from mr alan, who says riera was "excellent" but not even close to kuyt, i dont know what dictionary he uses but as far as im concerned the word 'excellent' is pretty much the pinnacle).

Finally, you want someone who can come off the bench to perform miracles and open up defences but obviously you would like that player to be happy coming off the bench as kuyt is your no1 for this spot regardless. Who exactly?? and how much would have to spent to get those attributes??. What we all want (inc torres) would mean acquisitions that take a hefty plunge into the clubs pocket. Would this not mean that said player would have every right to , at a minimum, challenge both kuyt and riera for their starting spot???.........does this not make any sense to you??. Because im pretty sure its exactly what torres is talking about in the post that mike put up.

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »
    Benitez also came out with a series of fhacts about Manchester United, that were shown to be false.

What did he say that was false??

Riera did fade during the season but it was his first season and i think he will be much more consistant next year.

Kuyt was immense last year and with Johnson on the same wing as him next year I'm expecting plenty of assists from that side of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,733 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

monkey9 wrote: »
    What did he say that was false??

I can't remember all the fhacts.

But the one where he accused the FA of never punishing Ferguson just as he was finshed a 2 match ban and recieved a 10 grand fine, was pretty funny. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Boggles wrote: »
    I can't remember all the fhacts.

But the one where he accused the FA of never punishing Ferguson just as he was finshed a 2 match ban and recieved a 10 grand fine, was pretty funny. :D

The point he was making was that after punishing him already, they didn't punish him at all for something similar when really they should have given him the same punishment (if not a worse one) boggles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Does nobody remember how Kuyt played before the run in? He was imo one of the reasons why you dropped so many points in a row. Granted he turned it around an awful lot in the run in, but lets not pretend he was amazing all of last season. He was good in parts, bad in other parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

PHB wrote: »
    Does nobody remember how Kuyt played before the run in? He was imo one of the reasons why you dropped so many points in a row. Granted he turned it around an awful lot in the run in, but lets not pretend he was amazing all of last season. He was good in parts, bad in other parts.
    Ah come on now Giggs got POTY! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He was better, for longer of the season then most of his teammates. Was class for the start of the campaign too, single handedly earned us some wins which could have been losses, was only a gap of about 8 games where he looked decidedly ordinary. Admittedly that coincided with the teams poor run, but that in itself points out to how important he is.

micks wrote: »
    Ah come on now Giggs got POTY! ;)

ah seriously we dont need another pool v manu thing, in fairness, he made a point about one of our players, without referencing manu in any way, no reason for them to be brought up rather then answering his point.

(no offence, just dont need more of the manu v pool stuff then we already get)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Attributing dropped points at home to any single player is extremely harsh and unfair. Dirk played tremendously well for club and country last season and still get singled out for criticism. He is constantly singled out as being the weak link and for being a poor signing for 12m pounds.

Put it this way, Kuyt scored more goals and provided more assists last season than Valencia has since he started playing in the PL.. Valencia has played 78 PL games in case you are wondering.

They both play a similar role and the better performer is being singled out as being the weakest link while the actual weaker performer of the two is being billed as being a viable replacement for the best player in the world for the past two seasons and seems to have cost drastically more than any fan of an opposing club would ever value Dirk at.

Dirk is fine. He performs an important role for us. No player is perfect and none are able to offer exactly what you need against all potential opponents that exists out there today.

Edit: he even scored as many and provided more assists last season that Wayne Rooney ffs.. And yes, I am waiting for the excuse that Wayne was being played out of position for large portions of the season..

its just my view that he is not the complete footballer. 6th best at whatever indicates there are 5 better, no??
    to be fair he's 6th overall, including central players, he's top of the wide players.

Sure, both Riera and Kuyt can be improved upon, but for me, particularly with johnson having joined to add an extra attacking impetus on the right, its competition on the left which is required most. The left is also the best suited to the pool of attacking talent at the moment, a lot of the potential targets operate best on that side. Silva, Suarez, lavezzi. Haven't been linked to a single right sided wing forward yet that i can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Put it this way, Kuyt scored more goals and provided more assists last season than Valencia has since he started playing in the PL.. Valencia has played 78 PL games in case you are wondering.

They both play a similar role and the better performer is being singled out as being the weakest link while the aactual weaker performer of the two is being billed as being a viable replacement for the best player in the world for the past two seasons and seems to have cost drastically more than any fan of an opposing club would every value Dirk at.
    That's not really comparing like for like though is it? Valencia played for a Wigan side who were invariably on the back foot for a lot of their matches, spending large periods of a lot of games defending. Kuyt played with a Liverpool team who spent most of the game attacking the opposition. It stands to reason that Kuyts stats are gonna look more impressive.

You are correct karma, stats dont lie but they are also very liberal with the truth.

Firstly, where have i said that kuyt should be replaced?......never said it once, infact ive complimented him on his season previously, its just my view that he is not the complete footballer. 6th best at whatever indicates there are 5 better, no??

No.:confused:

Care to read my post again?
    All others play as strikers or attacking midfielders.

Hence me saying he was the best wide player.
    daithijjj wrote:
    Secondly, kuyt has been at the club alot longer than riera, i expect a bit more now from riera this year, he faded in the last third of the season but overall he has done very well for a first season.

As I said I'm a big fan of Riera.
    I just find your opinion biased.
    It's okay for you to defend Riera, but others are being blind fanbois if they defend Kuyt.

It's a ridiculous double standard.
    daithijjj wrote:
    Thirdly, i may have accused people in the past of being narrow-minded when they wont take on board that kuyt cannot offer everything that his position requires. Is it that much of a criticsm???.......who exactly do you think torres is talking about when he talks about what is required???......wide players to "wreak havoc".......hes far too professional to name names but really it doesnt take much thought to realise what hes on about. Fair enough, i didnt make a point in the previous post about what would be needed to be spent to improve on kuyt (similar to rieras tbh). At no point have i ever said that riera cannot be improved upon either, nor have i accused anyone of anything regarding their views on riera (apart from mr alan, who says riera was "excellent" but not even close to kuyt, i dont know what dictionary he uses but as far as im concerned the word 'excellent' is pretty much the pinnacle).

Yeah, cause if Torres says it it, that's the end of the discusion.

Oh.
    Wait a minute

Torres - "This Liverpool side also works its socks off. Dirk Kuyt, for example, is spectacular in how cleverly and how hard he works to make sure I get top-quality possession near goal."

So does that mean that Kuyt is suddenly the bestest player in the world?

Oh and by the way, that was a response to Torres being asked why he was having such a great start to life in Liverpool, and scoring so many goals.
    He chose to single out Dirk.
    Finally, you want someone who can come off the bench to perform miracles and open up defences but obviously you would like that player to be happy coming off the bench as kuyt is your no1 for this spot regardless. Who exactly?? and how much would have to spent to get those attributes??. What we all want (inc torres) would mean acquisitions that take a hefty plunge into the clubs pocket. Would this not mean that said player would have every right to , at a minimum, challenge both kuyt and riera for their starting spot???.........does this not make any sense to you??. Because im pretty sure its exactly what torres is talking about in the post that mike put up.

So you want to take Kuyts 20 odd goals/assists out of the Liverpool team, and replace it with somebody who as you just pointed out with Riera, would almost definately not thrive in his first season.

He have 3 players that score a dozen plus goals for us.

We have a few who score 5-10 and a few who might step up.

But you don't win the league by replacing your third best attacking option, unless you're brining in a hell of a replacement.

Pighead wrote: »
    That's not really comparing like for like though is it? Valencia played for a Wigan side who were invariably on the back foot for a lot of their matches, spending large periods of a lot of games defending. Kuyt played with a Liverpool team who spent most of the game attacking the opposition. It stands to reason that Kuyts stats are gonna look more impressive.

No, you are right, it isn't comparing like for like. Despite the fact that I am comparing Valencia's stats over 78 games to Dirk's over 36 games.

Lets compare Dirk to players that play the same position in the other top clubs. Doing so would seem to indicate that only Ronaldo performed better last season.

Comparing Dirk to Ronaldo isn't really fair either as one is expected to run his heart out for the team and constantly track back while the other just swans around like a lazy prick and is allowed to do whatever he wants.

Once again, I do not believe that Dirk should be singled out as any sort of world beater but he certainly shouldn't be singled out for criticism and have is contribution belittled like it often is.

Dirk is a useful player and offers Liverpool what Park offers United. Fans don't seem to appreciate either despite both Rafa and Ferguson seemingly rating them extremely highly - reflected in the fact that they both played a massive amount of football for and being included in the biggest games of their respective clubs seasons.

My opinion is biased but yours isnt karma??

Ahhhhm.

Dirk scored 7 goals and got 5 assists in Liverpools first 20 games of the season.

Ahhhhm.

Dirk scored 7 goals and got 5 assists in Liverpools first 20 games of the season.
    Ahhhhhm.

No he didn't. He got five goals and three assists in the first 20 games of the season.

My opinion is biased but yours isnt karma??

I'm not the one implying people are blind fanbois.

I'd chosen to ignore your poor opinion of Kuyt as it wasn't worth it.
    Right up until you started defending Riera over him.
    And taking exception to people suggesting Riera is the one who should be first of the two to face upgrading.

I found it funny how you were treating Kuyt with such a poor set of double standards.

All I've ever said, is that while of course Kuyt could be improved upon, and while no players place is untouchable, Kuyt has done more than enough to earn his place in the team.

The very fact that Riera, Babel, Benni, and Doss all spent time on the left, while Kuyt was nearly always on the right when fit and not rested, shows more than anything which area is more settled and productive.

Ahhhhhm.

No he didn't. He got five goals and three assists in the first 20 games of the season.

All competitions.

Edit, and I also realise now it was 23 games, I missed the first three games (Sunderland, Standard, and Middlesbrough).

In the first 20 games it was 7 goals and 3 assists.

Dirk Kuyt was one of our players of the season. I'm sick of the usual nonsense that's attributed to him. As someone said earlier on, i think himself and Johnson will make a fantastic right hand side next season.

I'm ordering the long sleeve black jersey from the club's website with Kuyt's name on the back, so screw you's all!

• Advertisement

All competitions.

Edit, and I also realise now it was 23 games missed the first three games (Sunderland Standard and Middlesbrough).

In the first 20 games it was 7 goals and 3 assists.
    PHB was talking about Kuyts league form. He said "Does nobody remember how Kuyt played before the run in? He was imo one of the reasons why you dropped so many points in a row"

So it seems fairly obvious that he was talking about Kuyts league form which has to be said was pretty average before January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Probably one of the reasons, others being Keane in, Torres out, Benny not on form etc.
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Dirk Kuyt was one of our players of the season. I'm sick of the usual nonsense that's attributed to him. As someone said earlier on, i think himself and Johnson will make a fantastic right hand side next season.

I'm ordering the long sleeve black jersey from the club's website with Kuyt's name on the back, so screw you's all!

I think that is exactly why Johnson was bought.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

PHB was talking about Kuyts league form. He said "Does nobody remember how Kuyt played before the run in? He was imo one of the reasons why you dropped so many points in a row"

So it seems fairly obvious that he was talking about Kuyts league form which has to be said was pretty average before January.

Out of curiosity, do you agree with of PHB or are you just trying to piss off Karma?

I'm not the one implying people are blind fanbois.

I'd chosen to ignore your poor opinion of Kuyt as it wasn't worth it.
    Right up until you started defending Riera over him.
    And taking exception to people suggesting Riera is the one who should be first of the two to face upgrading.

I found it funny how you were treating Kuyt with such a poor set of double standards.

All I've ever said, is that while of course Kuyt could be improved upon, and while no players place is untouchable, Kuyt has done more than enough to earn his place in the team.

The very fact that Riera, Babel, Benni, and Doss all spent time on the left, while Kuyt was nearly always on the right when fit and not rested, shows more than anything which area is more settled and productive.

lolololol.........im biased huh???.

How much time has benni played on the left???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I was talking about the league, the league being the most important competition.

lol, everyone should go back through this thread and remember what they were saying about Kuyt before his upturn in form.

I'm not saying that it was entirely down to him, but his quality of attack, particuarly his touch, was a core reason why imo Liverpool failed to score goals in matches they dominated in. Personally, I think he rode along with the upsurge from Gerrard and Torres. He's a good player, and people give him a lot of ****e and think he's worse than he is, but thats just as stupid as going in the other direction.

He did better than Valencia. Don't think I'd argue with that. He did better than Tevez too imo. But do you think Valencia will make it at United if he doesn't step it up another 3 levels? Tevez couldn't make it at United, couldnt even get into the team.

Kuyt is a good striker, better than most give him credit for, but he is not, anywhere, anywhere near Gerrard or Torres class, nor is he anywhere near Rooneys either btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Kuyt was also on form at the start of the season as well as the end. He had a dip in form before the run in but to be fair, EVERY player in the red shirt was handing substandard performances at that time too.

• Advertisement

tbh i thought he was fantastic in the league before christmas. Remember those comeback wins pool were scraping then? he was so so important to those comebacks. It was only a period in or around christmas that his form dropped, and so too did liverpools, but when he came roaring back with performances such as his awesome cameo against Pompy, then so too did liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He did better than Valencia. Don't think I'd argue with that. He did better than Tevez too imo. But do you think Valencia will make it at United if he doesn't step it up another 3 levels? Tevez couldn't make it at United, couldnt even get into the team.

Kuyt is a good striker, better than most give him credit for, but he is not, anywhere, anywhere near Gerrard or Torres class, nor is he anywhere near Rooneys either btw.

first off, I believe you'll find that a lot of Liverpool fans were praising Kuyt after about our first 15 games of the season because quite frankly, he was brilliant. in fact i remember saying around christmas how he was definately our player of the year so far.

his form did suffer for a few weeks when the whole teams form dipped, but then he was sensational for the last few months of the season.

overall, he had a great season & was in no way to blame for us falling short, he is one of the reasons we came so close. the reason is clear as day, Torres & Gerrard only playing about a third of the season together. trying to say "oh well kuyt should do better against weaker teams" is bollox and is as bad as people saying "ronaldo can't do it against big teams" Kuyt consistantly scored & assisted all season......end of discussion.

one thing is for certain my friend, mr rooney is certainly closer to the dirk kuyts of this world, than he is to the torres & gerrards of it.

lol at the tevez comment too, he is most good enough to make it at Utd, hence the reason your best season in the last decade occured when he was playing season before last, hence the reason your performances were not near as good this season, but yet he still played a vital part in the run in and hence the reason you tried to buy him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

After Alonso, Kuyt was probably our best player in the first half of the season.
    After Torres, Gerrard and Benny he was up there in the second half of the season

He scored crucial goals ALL season - city and wigan spring immediately to mind.

The reason for our poor early results were the fitness of Torres and Gerrard, Yossi and Babel not doing it, Keane being crap and poor finishing.
    Of course Kuyt takes SOME of the blame, but he was not the primary cause. not nearly

lolololol.........im biased huh???.

How much time has benni played on the left???

laugh out loud out loud out loud out loud?

And yes Benni played a lot out the left last season. He became first choice there over Riera for the end of the season even.

Why the incredulity? He said Doss, Riera and Yossi all spent time out on the left, they all did.

here, take a look even, last 3 games of the season Yossi started all of them on the left
    http://www.football-lineups.com/team/Liverpool/FA_Premier_League_2008-2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

~Rebel~ wrote: »

And yes Benni played a lot out the left last season. He became first choice there over Riera for the end of the season even.

Why the incredulity? He said Doss, Riera and Yossi all spent time out on the left, they all did.

Oh i remember benni playing on the left :mad:

• Advertisement

Tevez couldn't make it at United, couldnt even get into the team.

Everything else in your post is perfectly reasonable but this statement is completely incorrect.

Tevez was and is more than good enough for United. He proved as much in his first season. He was mis-used somewhat last season and had a pretty average season yet United still tried to secure his services for 25 million odd.

He has come out with some amount of nonsense in the past few weeks but United fans have been far too quick in forgetting everything that he done for your club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Look at Kuyt for instance.
    I freely admit that I was on Kuyts back for most of last season.
    Only seing the bad, and ignoring all the good he's done.
    I've finally seen what Rafa did from the very start.
    Liverpool play better with Kuyt on the pitch.

I read an article earlier that highlighted it perfectly.
    When Kuyt plays, Liverpool are three times as likely to win.
    Half as likely to concede.
    And most importantly, pick up an average of double the points from when he doesn't play!

That's incredible!!!

Dirk Diggler is a legend, and if Rafa hadn't stuck with him, against the vast majority of the fans vocal wishes, we wouldn't be flying high now.
    Keith186 wrote: »
    First of all, Kuyt's a decent player and he's having a great season.
    mormank wrote: »
    i was one of kuyt's biggest critics last year, perhaps not so much on this thread. i swore he needed to be replaced asap. and tbh he has been. he has been replaced with kuyt of this year. he is like a new player. he is scoring goals, getting assists and is the most selfless player currently plying his trade with one of the big 3...i leave out arsenal cos when they play 100% they play for eachother more than any other team...

the difference for kuyt this season i believe is confidence. long may it continue.

couple of quotes from mid november.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

here, take a look even, last 3 games of the season Yossi started all of them on the left
    http://www.football-lineups.com/team/Liverpool/FA_Premier_League_2008-2009

The lols were for his assertion that my opinion was biased and his wasnt, nothing else. If people are going to bring up that kuyt was poor when the whole team was poor then they should also bring up that the form of the whole team helped his form also.

Its bloody hypocritical to suggest kuyt was rubbish because the team was rubbish, but insinute at the same time, that the reason the team got some form was due alot to kuyt. Me biased???? Biased me arse.

Did kuyt not play just as much in the striker role as benny on the left???.......he was woefull there at stoke, and the following game v everton he was pretty useless, albeit from the right in that game.

Suggesting benni played on the left because kuyt was too good on the right is just ridiculous, infact, if kuyt didnt come off at fulham, benni wouldnt have been on the pitch to score the winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Kuyt 6th best goals tally in the league
    Kuyt six most assist in the league(most from any winger)

Easily one of liverpools best players and one of the most important behind Gerrard,Torres and Masch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,318 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i think rooney is a very good player, but on the evidence of last season, he is no more effective than kuyt, which is all that matters really,

the same way i think there are players who are better than c ronaldo, but i dont think ive seen anyone more effective over the past 2/3 seasons

The lols were for his assertion that my opinion was biased and his wasnt, nothing else. If people are going to bring up that kuyt was poor when the whole team was poor then they should also bring up that the form of the whole team helped his form also.

Its bloody hypocritical to suggest kuyt was rubbish because the team was rubbish, but insinute at the same time, that the reason the team got some form was due alot to kuyt. Me biased???? Biased me arse.

Did kuyt not play just as much in the striker role as benny on the left???.......he was woefull there at stoke, and the following game v everton he was pretty useless, albeit from the right in that game.

Suggesting benni played on the left because kuyt was too good on the right is just ridiculous, infact, if kuyt didnt come off at fulham, benni wouldnt have been on the pitch to score the winner.

Why is it so hard for you to accept that Kuyt had an excellent season, the best of our wingers? cause he clearly clearly clearly did! Everyone and their dog has agreed that he was poor for a section in the middle, and fantastic for the rest. Yossi had an good season, Riera had a good season, Kuyt had a better season.

If we ignore all the symantics this is starting to get mired in, the simple cold fact is that a lot of people think that since Kuyt was our best winger last season, that its the other wing that could most easily be upgraded. Compound this with the fact that all the attacking players we've been linked with have been primarily left sided and it looks like Rafa thinks that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

rebel you do realise a lot of the last weeks posts have been an argument with daithijjj, i think he has proved that he is not going to listen to others arguments so whats the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Anyway, back to business - Leto and Anderson gone, £3M+ more in the kitty. That should cover Mascherano's pay-rise...

Suggestions that any Alonso deal will wait until later in July, when a sell-on clause with Sociaded expires. I think it'll happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

yup agree, i think alonso is gone unforunately. who is there to replace him for ~£30m mark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,733 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Kuyt started 15 league games up front last season, comparing him with the likes of Valencia is unfair and just a dig at Uniteds new signing, which is perfectly fine but Kuyt was given a chance last season to show what he could do the same should be afforded other players who have just joined a club.

IMO, Kuyt was your best player last season, consistently played nearly every minute of every match (93%), no doubt Gerrard and Torres are better players, but that is just opinion at the end of the day, what matters is Kuyt wasn't injured or left out and over the league campaign was yer best most important performer. I think he deserved at least an nomination for player of the year, probably should have got it but the competition is flawed and based on a couple of months at the start.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement