Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

yup agree, i think alonso is gone unforunately. who is there to replace him for ~£30m mark?

Essien? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

PHB wrote: »
    I was talking about the league, the league being the most important competition.

lol, everyone should go back through this thread and remember what they were saying about Kuyt before his upturn in form.

I remember having a discussion with Boggles. along with a fair few other regular posters about this.

We were talking about Kuyts AMAZING form at the start of the season.
    Myself Alan and others were saying that this is Kuyt playing within himself at.
    Boggles was saying that Kuyts form was too good, and that he was playing above himself.

So yes, I remember exactly what was been said about Kuyts form at the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

yup agree, i think alonso is gone unforunately. who is there to replace him for ~£30m mark?

Sneijder is really the only alternative i can think of that i'd be happy enough with. Nigh on anyone else that we might be in for would be a serious step down for that role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Lads whats the site that lists team formation and stats etc for every PL league game? I know there's one somewhere! Need to find out a formation from a particular game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

20m plus sneijder then done and done ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Momo Diarra from Real?

PiE wrote: »
    Lads whats the site that lists team formation and stats etc for every PL league game? I know there's one somewhere! Need to find out a formation from a particular game.
    http://www.football-lineups.com/team/Liverpool/FA_Premier_League_2008-2009

choose the team and then just click on the formation for that game and it shows the exact lineup and where the subs came in
    Dickerty wrote: »
    Momo Diarra from Real?
    Not creative enough imo, would be an ok replacement for masch, but i'd prefer a more visionary midfielder to replace Alonso
    Would take that in a second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Sneijder is no replacement for Alonso. I would play him in the 3 behind Torres if we signed him, i don't trust him in central midfield. He'd never replace Alonso's workrate which is very under-rated

Momo Diarra from Real?

No thanks

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    http://www.football-lineups.com/team/Liverpool/FA_Premier_League_2008-2009

choose the team and then just click on the formation for that game and it shows the exact lineup and where the subs came in
    Awesome. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

D'Agostini, of Udinese? Probably the best playmaker in Serie A last season, ahead of Pirlo. Plays for Dossena's old club, so there has been contact between the clubs. And there is talk that an English club has made an enquiry, although it's most likely Zola at West Ham rather than us.

Edit; Approx £15M, around the same age as Xabi.

Sneijder is no replacement for Alonso. I would play him in the 3 behind Torres if we signed him, i don't trust him in central midfield. He'd never replace Alonso's workrate which is very under-rated

With an average other midfielder id be of the same opinion, Masch is the only person who i think could form a good balance with him. It would also rely a bit on Gerrard helping him, id see sneijder slightly switching the formation a smidge from;
    ---Masch Alonso
    Gerrard

to

----Masch
    Sneijder
    X---Gerrard
    X

with Gerrard holding a little if Sneijder is bombing forward. Gerrard always does track back anyway which would make me much more confident of Sneijder.

I do have to admit that Sneijder would be a slight step down for the big games, as Alonso's defending and intercepting are usually very important in Pool keeping domination of those games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Not creative enough imo, would be an ok replacement for masch, but i'd prefer a more visionary midfielder to replace Alonso

I am thinking like Rafa! He will want someone with some bite, some size, and the right age/experience. I think he will focus the creativity on the wings. If he did sign someone like Sneijder, it would not be as an attacking CM.

I really hope we don't loose Alonso!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Suggestions that any Alonso deal will wait until later in July, when a sell-on clause with Sociaded expires. I think it'll happen.
    Madrid delay Alonso bid

Last updated: 01/07/2009 10:29:00

REAL Madrid want to delay their offer for Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso to prevent Real Sociedad claiming 20 per cent of any transfer fee. (Daily Mail)

Sociedad's agreement with Liverpool is believed to run out on July 18 and Madrid see it as an obstacle with Anfield's valuation at £35m and their last offer at £25m.

The two clubs are prepared to negotiate and Alonso is expected to declare he wants to leave.

The 27-year-old was in Madrid on Monday and had dinner with his agent, Inaki Ibanez.

Alonso said: “I don't know what is going to happen. It is up to the clubs to negotiate now.”

:( Indeed that looks to be that unless something unexpected happens.

• Advertisement

The 27-year-old was in Madrid on Monday

Along with the rest of the Spanish national team, who were just arriving home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Along with the rest of the Spanish national team, who were just arriving home.

Straws and clutching spring to mind :p

My gut feeling is he's moving on, sad to see.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Straws and clutching spring to mind :p

My gut feeling is he's moving on, sad to see.

I'm fairly sure that Alonso does want to go, and I'm sad to say I think it will happen.

Doesn't stop it being typical sensationalist journalism though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i would be more than happy if we didnt sign another player this summer just as long as nobody leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

It wouldn't surprise me if Alonso went but it's not a foregone conclusion, he has said he would be happy to stay and Madrid may find Liverpool's asking price too much. If he does go it puts us in a somewhat similar position to Man U - lots of money but trying to replace one 'irreplaceable' player. I just hope Rafa is making plans for a replacement now just in case ...

• Advertisement

I'm fairly sure that Alonso does want to go, and I'm sad to say I think it will happen.

Doesn't stop it being typical sensationalist journalism though.

I don't see anything sensationalist about that piece that was quoted. Unless the Alonso quote is made up.

I don't see anything sensationalist about that piece that was quoted. Unless the Alonso quote is made up.

Implying that Alonso is in Madrid to meet Real is sensationalist.

I'm not sayin he's not.

The simple fact of the amtter is Alonso is in Madrid, as that's where the Spanish team flew to.

It has nothing to do with any possible Real move, unless every Spanish player who doesn't already play for Real is also on the way there.

The piece was heavily implying something, which is not true.

Implying that Alonso is in Madrid to meet Real is sensationalist.

I'm not sayin he's not.

The simple fact of the amtter is Alonso is in Madrid, as that's where the Spanish team flew to.

It has nothing to do with any possible Real move, unless every Spanish player who doesn't already play for Real is also on the way there.

The piece was heavily implying something, which is not true.

If Alonso's quote is true, that seems to imply something is on the cards with Real.
    It is up to the clubs to negotiate now
    ...........speaks volumes imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm not trying to flame here, but I really think Rafa messed up last summer by trying to flog Alonso off, in the pursuit of Barry.

Alonso was in the top 5 Liverpool players last season, and now he, seemingly, wants to leave?

I think that is squarely down to Rafa.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Lads, would anyone thing Vassell would be a good squad player for us? He is a free agent I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd say the "all new" Real Madrid might also have something to do with it

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

We're all only guessing, but if I had to guess I wouldn't say that Alonso has his heart set on a move. I'd say that he's probably open to all the options, figures that after 5 years in Liverpool it might be nice to go home, but knows that if Liverpool don't either get a good enough offer for him, or cannot find a player to replace him, that he will stay. I think precisely because of last Summer's experience, he is not going to get his knickers in a knot this summer over anything. He has already proven to Rafa on the pitch that last Summer was a mistake, I don't think he intends making him pay for it by engineering a move out of Anfield.

If Alonso's quote is true, that seems to imply something is on the cards with Real.
    It is up to the clubs to negotiate now

...........speaks volumes imo.

And that has what to do with the journalist heavily implying that alonso was in Madrid to speak with Real, when in fact he's in Madrid due to his time with the Spanish national team?

Listen, I'm not implying that Alonso doesn't want to leave.
    I said only a few posts back that I think he does!

But that doesn't change the fact that the paper was implying an inacuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

spockety wrote: »
    We're all only guessing, but if I had to guess I wouldn't say that Alonso has his heart set on a move. I'd say that he's probably open to all the options, figures that after 5 years in Liverpool it might be nice to go home, but knows that if Liverpool don't either get a good enough offer for him, or cannot find a player to replace him, that he will stay. I think precisely because of last Summer's experience, he is not going to get his knickers in a knot this summer over anything. He has already proven to Rafa on the pitch that last Summer was a mistake, I don't think he intends making him pay for it by engineering a move out of Anfield.

All of that +1. He doesn't seem to have the demeanour of someone who makes decisions for petty reasons.

There was an article about him a couple of weeks ago (with quotes and everything) where he seemed concerned about maybe losing a third of his wages under the new income tax laws in the UK. I think they come into effect today?

How much money do RM have to spend? I only ask because it appears they've just shelled out another €35m(ish) on Benzema. Do they have the same again left in the piggy-bank for Alonso, basically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Des wrote: »
    I'm not trying to flame here, but I really think Rafa messed up last summer by trying to flog Alonso off, in the pursuit of Barry.

Alonso was in the top 5 Liverpool players last season, and now he, seemingly, wants to leave?

I think that is squarely down to Rafa.

You would certainly have to attribute this to Rafa.

What I have to wonder about is whether Alonso would have performed as well as he did last season if Rafa didn't try to sell him. Compared to his previous season or two, Alonso looked like a player with something to prove this season.

I am not quite sure whether Xabi would have had such a good season if his pride wasn't hurt as much as it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Lads, would anyone thing Vassell would be a good squad player for us? He is a free agent I believe.

I don't think so...as has been said over and over and over again on this thread...we did drop points against the likes of Hull, Stoke etc etc at home, usually when they park the bus and we find it hard to break them down...this is why I feel we need a big strong centre forward that can nick a scrappy goal (while pulling on the defenders shirt at the same time :D)...I like someone like Tuncay...not huge I know but he seems like the typoe of guy who has a bit of skill and is also not afraid to get stuck in. Vassell is a bit one dimensional IMO.

Not sure how anyone on here can know if Alonso wants a move or not.

Unless they know him personally of course ;)

Jesus good god, no!!!!!!!

Amen to that !

You would certainly have to attribute this to Rafa.

What I have to wonder about is whether Alonso would have performed as well as he did last season if Rafa didn't try to sell him. Compared to his previous season or two, Alonso looked like a player with something to prove this season.

I am not quite sure whether Xabi would have had such a good season if his pride wasn't hurt as much as it way.
    This is what irks me too. If you believe that it took Rafa trying to sell him for Alonso to pull the finger out and play to his best, well... why would we even want a player like that in the squad?

Nah, not for me. Not a great stand in to have for Torres and just another squad player who wont get much game time and will take gametime away from yossi ngog and Babel as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

And me.

This is what irks me too. If you believe that it took Rafa trying to sell him for Alonso to pull the finger out and play to his best, well... why would we even want a player like that in the squad?

I would be happy to keep Xabi even if he had an average season.

We don't really know what went on so I am not really prepared to pass judgement on either just yet.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

And that has what to do with the journalist heavily implying that alonso was in Madrid to speak with Real, when in fact he's in Madrid due to his time with the Spanish national team?

You might want to reread it. It doesn't say anything about talking to Real.
    The 27-year-old was in Madrid on Monday and had dinner with his agent, Inaki Ibanez.

• Advertisement

I would be happy to keep Xabi even if he had an average season.
    Not me - not now that we know what he's properly capable of.

If we kept him and he went back to Alonso circa 2007 again, I'd be mighty pissed personally and I dare say we'd have the usuals in here saying "Rafa shoulda sold him".

I took the piece differently from you, you saw the sensationalism, I didn't.
    He was in Madrid, on holidays? Dirty weekend away with the wife? With the Spanish team? Anywho, doesn't matter, end of story on the sensationalism.

It's Alonso's quote that tells me he won't be at Anfield next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Not me - not now that we know what he's properly capable of.

If we kept him and he went back to Alonso circa 2007 again, I'd be mighty pissed personally and I dare say we'd have the usuals in here saying "Rafa shoulda sold him".

Id be suprised if he would have an ordinary season. He is going to be doing his upmost to get into the Spain starting 11 for the world cup.

Really hope we dont loose him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

nah, but wouldn't mind seeing Ashton come in if the rumours at West ham are true. I know he's had his injury problems but for 5 mill or so he may be worth a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

even if the '2007' Alonso signs for Madrid he will look absolutely amazing in La Liga with the time he'll have on the ball. unforunately thought the 2007 version is too slow for the prem, we need it to be the 2008/2009 version all the time in the prem. i dont know if he matured or just had a steller season, either way Rafa is fckued:

Rafa sells Alonso, keeps 2009 form or even goes back to 2007 form - rafa is a fool for selling him/trying to sell him in 2008.
    Rafa keeps Alonso, he looks awesome - good stuff, rafa is a fool for ever entertaining selling him.
    Rafa keeps Alonso, returns to 2007 form - rafa is a fool for turning down very respectable money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

All of that +1. He doesn't seem to have the demeanour of someone who makes decisions for petty reasons.

There was an article about him a couple of weeks ago (with quotes and everything) where he seemed concerned about maybe losing a third of his wages under the new income tax laws in the UK. I think they come into effect today?

How much money do RM have to spend? I only ask because it appears they've just shelled out another €35m(ish) on Benzema. Do they have the same again left in the piggy-bank for Alonso, basically?

I vaguely remember reading that they had cleared funds/finance to spend 300 million if necessary and that they had plan in place to re-coup over 3 yrs mainly with jersey sales. Nothing concrete just a recollection

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    You might want to reread it. It doesn't say anything about talking to Real.

You see the way I used the word "implied" about a half dozen times in my posts on this?!

Good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Vassell is shoite lads

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

You see the way I used the word "implied" about a half dozen times in my posts on this?!

Good.

Yes. I also see the way that it is only you seeing the implication.

My assumption is that he was in Madrid having flown back there from SA, that his agent is located in Madrid, and that they had lunch.

I took the piece differently from you, you saw the sensationalism, I didn't.
    He was in Madrid, on holidays? Dirty weekend away with the wife? With the Spanish team? Anywho, doesn't matter, end of story on the sensationalism.

It's Alonso's quote that tells me he won't be at Anfield next season.

And i agree about Alonso, I'm sad to say.

5starpool wrote: »
    Yes. I also see the way that it is only you seeing the implication.

My assumption is that he was in Madrid having flown back there from SA, that his agent is located in Madrid, and that they had lunch.

Well it's not only me.

I've had this discussion with a number of Liverpool, and other football, fans.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement