Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just read that Juventus have dismissed reports that they are making a fresh approach for Alonso this summer.

In relation to Vassell, god no, i cant see him even gettting in the reserves squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Vassell not in a million years.Personally i would have gone for Doyle as back up to torres or Ashton.

Hunter was saying on sky that Madrid have a credit line up to 800m with the banks in spain.

I reckon Alonso is next for thema nd id take 40m for Arbeloa and Alonso although i would be sad to see them both go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Lads, would anyone thing Vassell would be a good squad player for us? He is a free agent I believe.

hoogifpt7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

raven136 wrote: »
    Vassell not in a million years.

At 29, he's already too old:D
    Even at his 'best' (12 league goals in 01/02), he's never been good enough for us, IMO.

Rather than getting a sub-standard back-up centre-forward, I think we ought to be spending big on one player who can do a job in any of the positions currently occupied by Torres, Gerrard, Riera & Kuyt.

There are enough games in the season across all competitions to justify a big signing and everyone would get their share.

The increased number of options both for different types of opposition and to change formation within games could make us an even more dynamic attacking force and we would miss the above-mentioned players less if they were injured. We could also give them a rest if needed.

So, someone with pace who can pass, shoot, dribble and cross with both feet and doesn't mind getting stuck in. (Anyone else think this is what Rafa had in mind when he bought Babel?)

Anyway, Suarez looks like the real deal to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Lads, would anyone thing Vassell would be a good squad player for us? He is a free agent I believe.
    No...he joined a Turkish team today anyway so not an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

jesus everybody is moving to Turkey these days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

You would certainly have to attribute this to Rafa.

What I have to wonder about is whether Alonso would have performed as well as he did last season if Rafa didn't try to sell him. Compared to his previous season or two, Alonso looked like a player with something to prove this season.

I am not quite sure whether Xabi would have had such a good season if his pride wasn't hurt as much as it was.

Agree with des and yourself there. Dont think i would blame rafa so much for wanting to sell him though last summer, he was distinctly average. However, i never thought barry would bring much to the party either.

For me, he was in the top 2 players for us in 08/09, cant say if it was his pride hurt or the euphoria within the spanish team that helped his form this season, bit of both maybe.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ah i was just wondering who was a free agent this summer that may be worth a punt. Don't really know that much of vassell to be honest.

If we got a new attacker in (silva, suarez etc etc) that would cost us a pretty penny. Lets say 17-20 odd million.

After that then Rafa will have to look for some freebies for backup. Who would be a free agent this summer that would be worth a punt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Djimi Traore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

mike65 wrote: »
    Djimi Traore?
    +1

article-0-02077E590000044D-601_468x325.jpg

• Advertisement

:D:o :mad: and a few other smilies too I suspect. A man for all seasons was Djimi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Djimi has just signed for Monaco so no chance of seeing an O.G like the Burnley one again.

How about a cheap option for a winger and go for someone like Quaresma? Inter seem keen to offload and so a sneaky bid might tempt them. Or go for his team-mate and someone we were linked with before, the Brazilian Mancini?

Both have pace and like to attack the full back, and can play the killer ball.

Quaresma = ****

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

mike65 wrote: »
    Quaresma = ****

How much game time did he get with chelsea?? surely he lacked match fitness so if he didn't get much game time I would imagine thats why he was cr@p.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Djimi has just signed for Monaco so no chance of seeing an O.G like the Burnley one again.

How about a cheap option for a winger and go for someone like Quaresma? Inter seem keen to offload and so a sneaky bid might tempt them. Or go for his team-mate and someone we were linked with before, the Brazilian Mancini?

Both have pace and like to attack the full back, and can play the killer ball.

Mancini is a good player allright but he is also one of the most prolific divers ive ever seen, never fancied any player coming to the club who hits the deck with stupid regularity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

rafa spoke to him last season, neither were happy with each other it seems. rafa wanted too much work out of him and he wanted a free-er role...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Out of respect for the late great...... allow me to just say.

"Don't blame it on the Biscan.
    Don't blame it on the Hamman.
    Don't blame it on the Finnan.
    Just blame it on Traore.

He just can't.
    He just can't.
    He just can't control his feet."

Lets see.

As far as I can find you'd have.

In English top flight (or top flight last year!)

Tomas Rosicky
    Ricardo Vaz Te
    Nuno Valente
    Andy van der Meyde
    Collins John
    Danny Murphy (Technically)
    Dietmar Hamann
    Danny Mills
    Darron Gibson
    Peter Lovenkrands
    Michael Owen
    Mark Viduka
    Nwankwo Kanu
    Jermaine Pennant (Sign him up!:P)
    Henri Camara
    Rory Delap
    Ricardo Fuller
    Dominic Matteo (Wouldn't think he was 35!)
    David Connolly
    Dwight York
    Gilberto
    Pele (No!)
    Lucas Neill (A cold day in hell before.....)
    Diego Tristan
    Antoine Sibierski

In Spain

Leo Franco
    Maniche
    Sylvinho
    Edu
    Jerzy Dudek
    Julien Faubert
    Fernando Morientes
    Curro Torres
    Pascal Cygan

And Italy

Christian Vieri (Well maybe. He's now saying he's gonna retire to take care of his condom company!)
    Julio Cruz
    Hernan Crespo
    Simone Inzaghi
    Emerson
    Christian Panucci

Only the players of note mentioned.

Also, a lot of ex reds there!
    Seven in all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Lets see.

As far as I can find you'd have.

In English top flight (or top flight last year!)

Tomas Rosicky
    Ricardo Vaz Te
    Nuno Valente
    Andy van der Meyde
    Collins John
    Danny Murphy (Technically)
    Dietmar Hamann
    Danny Mills
    Darron Gibson
    Peter Lovenkrands
    Michael Owen
    Mark Viduka
    Nwankwo Kanu
    Jermaine Pennant (Sign him up!:P)
    Henri Camara
    Rory Delap
    Ricardo Fuller
    Dominic Matteo (Wouldn't think he was 35!)
    David Connolly
    Dwight York
    Gilberto
    Pele (No!)
    Lucas Neill (A cold day in hell before.....)
    Diego Tristan
    Antoine Sibierski

In Spain

Leo Franco
    Maniche
    Sylvinho
    Edu
    Jerzy Dudek
    Julien Faubert
    Fernando Morientes
    Curro Torres
    Pascal Cygan

And Italy

Christian Vieri (Well maybe. He's now saying he's gonna retire to take care of his condom company!)
    Julio Cruz
    Hernan Crespo
    Simone Inzaghi
    Emerson
    Christian Panucci

Only the players of note mentioned.

Also, a lot of ex reds there!
    Seven in all.

are they all out of contract? tomas rosicky?

if i was liverpool, i d sign emerson and edu from that list!

• Advertisement

mink_man wrote: »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/5008544.stm

Going by this I doubt he is out of contract this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Yes and sell Alonso and Masch.

Cant believe Stoke will let Rory Delap leave. Think Crespo has signed for Genoa. That lad was top quality. Id say he could still score goals. Pace was never really his strong point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

They're all out of contract, but a lot of them are in talks with their clubs.

Danny Murphy, and as Fromvert said, Rory Delap, are very unlikely to move.

As for Emmerson and Edu.
    Emerson is 33, and Edu 30.

Rosicky I believe signed a 3 year deal, with a one year optional extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

For funsies:
    Torres is just over-rated.it is only his reputation as a one time wonder that is keeping his name up there with the best coz i can say that it will be a waste of money going for him.for the last two seasons he has been hopeless to say the least.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mb606/F2241560?thread=3048837

lol

Even better.
    Torres is just over-rated.it is only his reputation as a one time wonder that is keeping his name up there with the best coz i can say that it will be a waste of money going for him.for the last two seasons he has been hopeless to say the least.
    Rosicky is good but i hope he can pick up faster than Hleb did and make an instant impact.i just hope that Torres does not come here except it is on a free.
    torres is so over rated as mentioned before why did we sign rosicky we need someone who can adapt to the british game straught away and now we have a midfield of fairies ..hleb fabregas rosciky all 5 foot nothing you could blow them over ...
    Torres is a great talent but with both Van Persie and Adebayor assisting Henry now, he may not be needed. Especially for the cost.
    like torres as stated e wants 2 join utd not u haha they want ruud n 5 mil for torres hahaha
    first, torres is highly-overrated. fergie's clearly judging him based on his stats from FIFA Streets. the guy statistically gave the ball away the most times during this past season, so united can have him all they want.
    I think that it will be a bad move for Torres to join Arsenal because he just can't play well in England it's a difficult championship,very different than Spain.
    im not sure about Torres, he will cost alot of money and is not proven in the premiership. Someone like van nistilrooy would be a better buy.
    Not so convinced by Torres. while good I'm not sure he's world class from what I've seen.

There's a lot of hype and that always worries me 'cos we'll end up paying full-whack for someone who may well flop in the EPL.
    Can't see Torres having much of an influence, but Rosicky is definitely a quality signing. Is he typically a central misfielder or can he play the wings?
    wtf... torres is terrible. He is so overated. I have many mates in spain. i live in portugal and see a couple of spanish games in the holidays wen i go and he is an awful finish. The most inconsistnet player! I bet many fans are judging him on Football manager or fifa....
    And Torres, I have a fear that United really are going to swap Ruud for him. Torres is so over rated it's unbelievable.

Spanish Wayne Rooney?? Don't make me laugh..
    But Torres is rubbish! Dont rely on the Spanish to deliver the goods, they are all useless (Morientes, Reyes, Alonso, Garcia) and personally I think Fabregas is a waste of space

:D

Ahh........that made my evening.

Edit: this ones my favorite.
    Can't see Torres having much of an influence, but Rosicky is definitely a quality signing. Is he typically a central misfielder or can he play the wings?

Torres is sh1t.
    Rosicky is definately great.
    What position does he play?!!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Well i'm not as pessimistic about alonso as half of eh are.. I really think he'll stay, and if he doesn't it'll cost someone £35 million. I have enough faith in rafa to find a good replacement.. he's been doing pretty well in that department

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

yep some of those quotes are mind bottling.

I pressume all those quotes are from the bbc forum???....where they have no moderation and you basically have to call someone a child molester to get yourself banned....then set up a new acc in 2 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Do you think Arsenal should sign a player like Craig Bellamy, cuz he's been in top form for Blackburn Rovers.

Seems Rafa was reading that thread at the time as well.

daithijjj wrote: »
    I pressume all those quotes are from the bbc forum???....where they have no moderation and you basically have to call someone a child molester to get yourself banned....then set up a new acc in 2 mins.

Yup. that's the pick of the comments.

• Advertisement

Barcelona are preparing to make a £25m bid for Liverpool's Argentine midfielder Javier Mascherano.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/07/02/barcelona-set-to-bid-25million-for-liverpool-s-javier-mascherano-115875-21487593/

Not a hope in hell of that being accepted. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

mirror doing their usual pick a player a team and a price and create a story around it.

Wont believe any of this till i see it some where reputible{sp}. Same goes for any alonso story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Why are the papers suggesting derisory offers for Mascherano, the Argentina captain, only turned 25 years of age, and a hugely effective player in a difficult position, on a par with Essien and better than Diarra, De Rossi or Yaya?

There is zero change of him going for less than £35+, and even at that we should consider it a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Dickerty wrote: »
    Why are the papers suggesting derisory offers for Mascherano, the Argentina captain, only turned 25 years of age, and a hugely effective player in a difficult position, on a par with Essien and better than Diarra, De Rossi or Yaya?

There is zero change of him going.

FYP ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There is zero change of him going for less than £35+, and even at that we should consider it a bargain.

At the end of the day Masch is a defensive midfielder, he is a good one, but these type players rarely if ever break the 25 million mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Boggles wrote: »
    At the end of the day Masch is a defensive midfielder, he is a good one, but these type players rarely if ever break the 25 million mark.

good. Because there is not a hope in hell he will be sold for that money. Suits us fine.

good. Because there is not a hope in hell he will be sold for that money. Suits us fine.

Sadly it is up to the player, if he has his heart on leaving and Liverpool force him to stay he will go for alot less next summer with only 18 months left on his contract. You then incur the danger of having a moody South American on the pay role for 12 months.

How much did a largley defensive Veron cost in 2001?

Sadly it is up to the player, if he has his heart on leaving and Liverpool force him to stay he will go for alot less next summer with only 18 months left on his contract. You then incur the danger of having a moody South American on the pay role for 12 months.

Yeh, but as things stand, he has 2.5 years left. And if we are not selling, he is getting a new contract to get him on the right money.

If he wants go, then so be it, but it'll be on our terms. Barca will have to stump up properly for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

28million and largely defensive is so far off the mark imo it is amazing. He was a gifted play maker.

• Advertisement

Jesus Karma, Veron was hardly the same type of player as Masch.

If he wants go, then so be it, but it'll be on our terms. Barca will have to stump up properly for him.

As I said already it's not all entirely on your terms.

25 million seems to be the top going rate for a player like Mascherano.

If he goes it will be probably 26-27, but nowhere near 35 million, that is game changing money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

These type of players are a rariety. How many players are there that can do the job as good as Essien or Mascherano? These players are highly valuable and as such it should take an astronomical bid for a club to part ways with a player they have little chance of fully and effectively replacing.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    These type of players are a rariety. How many players are there that can do the job as good as Essien or Mascherano? These players are highly valuable and as such it should take an astronomical bid for a club to part ways with a player they have little chance of fully and effectively replacing.

Essien is on a different level to Mascherano, he is not just limited to an out and out defensive midfielder.

There is a market value for a player in this position.

Don't let the Real Madrid effect fool you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

However as we have seen this year the big two in spain seem to be breaking all the usual rules and records, if he does go I would expect £30M +

If I had to choose between the two I would keep masch as I think he is a harder player to replace than alonso even accounting for alonsos excellent season.

RustySpoon wrote: »
    However as we have seen this year the big two in spain seem to be breaking all the usual rules and records, if he does go I would expect £30M +

1 in Spain.

Barca havn't signed anyone as far as I know.

Hopefully, this is a moot point anyway. But I think you would find that managers prize these players as highly as any attacker - see the influence of Keane, Vieira, Makalele and Gattuso in the last 15 years, they have all been key to title winning sides. And in all cases, their demise coincided with the team falling from the top (Makelele with Real).

Essien is on a different level to Mascherano, he is not just limited to an out and out defensive midfielder.

Neither is Masc. Essien is not as disciplined as Mascherano, but Masc is well able to get forward right into the last minute, it is Rafa's instructions which largely hold him in place.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Has anyone else heard the rumours of us us signing Radamel Falcao from River Plate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

There is a market value for a player in this position.

Don't let the Real Madrid effect fool you.

It is unfortunately the nature of the market that prices are inflated, that's not only down to Real and Man City, but also Chelsea and Man U before them.

I don't see Rafa Benitez toeing the line on this one, he's not going to let one of his prized possessions go for what can only be described in todays market as a substandard fee.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement