Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

28million and largely defensive is so far off the mark imo it is amazing. He was a gifted play maker.

Veron was one of the best players of the last decade.
    His great strenght however was, and still is, in breaking up the play.
    He read and intercepted everything.
    He was a lot better than Masch going forward, but he wasn't a playmaker like an Alonso or Fabregeas.
    He patroled the midfield, broke everything up, and then fed the creative players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

re Radamel Falcao, I have but no nothing of the fella.

Boggles wrote: »
    Jesus Karma, Veron was hardly the same type of player as Masch.

Not the point.

Back in 2001 Veron, who was a central midfielder used to stop the oposition playing was sold for £28.1 million if I remember correctly.

Masch does a similar job for us, and while not the same, is of equal importance.

Both Argentinian.
    Masch 25, Veron 26.
    Masch Argentinian captain, Veron practically kicked out of the squad in 2002.

Now if Veron was £28.1 mill in 2001.
    Saying that Masch is worth £25 mill in 2009 is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Veron was one of the best players of the last decade.
    His great strenght however was, and still is, in breaking up the play.
    He read and intercepted everything.
    He was a lot better than Masch going forward, but he wasn't a playmaker like an Alonso or Fabregeas.
    He patroled the midfield, broke everything up, and then fed the creative players.

I disagree.

He was an extremely creative player himself, and was an all round midfielder. He was so much more than a DM like Mascherano. When united signed him, he was right up with Zidane as the best midfielder around at the time imo. It didn't work out for him at United, but that is not the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

have to disagree Karma, Veron was an AMC through and through imo

dont know much of Falcao besides his FM ratings, which, unlike Everton think, isnt enough to judge him :D anyone seen him play?

with regards Masch; lets not forget the effect of the loss of Makelele on Madrid, they conceded three times as many goals the next season without him. There arent many players around like Masch, replacing him would be a nightmare...

• Advertisement

I disagree.

He was an extremely creative player himself, and was an all round midfielder. He was so much more than a DM like Mascherano. When united signed him, he was right up with Zidane as the best midfielder around at the time imo. It didn't work out for him at United, but that is not the point.

That sums up everything that needs to be said about that.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Not the point.

Back in 2001 Veron, who was a central midfielder used to stop the oposition playing was sold for £28.1 million if I remember correctly.

Masch does a similar job for us, and while not the same, is of equal importance.

Both Argentinian.
    Masch 25, Veron 26.
    Masch Argentian captain, Veron practically kicked out of the squad in 2002.

Now if Veron was £28.1 mill in 2001.
    Saying that Masch is worth £25 mill in 2009 is ridiculous.

Sweet Jesus.

Veron was/is not the same type player as Mascherano.

Stop spinning shíté to suit your arguement FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Anyone who thinks Mascherano is a DM in the Makelele mould needs to watch him a lot closer. He doesn't sit in front of the back 4 to protect him. He's all over the pitch. A lot more like Keane than Makelele

Anyone who thinks 25 million is not alot of money, needs to stop watching any headline with Real Madrid in it.

So Mash and Alonso are gone. Who's next? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Anyone who thinks 25 million is not alot of money, needs to stop watching any headline with Real Madrid in it.

Nobody's saying it's not a lot of money. But Hargreaves and Diarra both went for 20m or thereabouts and Mascherano is a much better player than either. Barca can offer 25 million if they want, but he's worth more and will not leave for that price.

rarnes1 wrote: »

Arbeloa. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Latest news from Spain (Mundo Deportivo)

Barcelona are set to bid £17m for Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano after Barca's technical director received permission from Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez to make an offer.

This is getting silly now!!

Nobody's saying it's not a lot of money. But Hargreaves and Diarra both went for 20m or thereabouts and Mascherano is a much better player than either. Barca can offer 25 million if they want, but he's worth more and will not leave for that price.

Personally don't rate Diarra but he went to funny money Madrid and that was only 20 million.

Hargreaves cost 17m and is not the same type player as Mascherano.

His best performance for United in his injury littered career was on the right wing.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Sweet Jesus.

Very true. Mascherano plays well in England, so it is hard to compare the two of them.

Anyone who thinks Mascherano is a DM in the Makelele mould needs to watch him a lot closer. He doesn't sit in front of the back 4 to protect him. He's all over the pitch. A lot more like Keane than Makelele

i didnt say that but he does protect our back four by not letting the ball near them, he just does it all over the pitch where makelele did it in less space...

17m is a joke, we paid that for him ffs and he's proven himself to be world class now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Rafa. Rafa out !

Dickerty wrote: »
    Latest news from Spain (Mundo Deportivo)

Barcelona are set to bid £17m for Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano after Barca's technical director received permission from Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez to make an offer.

This is getting silly now!!

Permission to make an offer? Why would he need permission to make an offer?

5starpool wrote: »
    Very true. Mascherano plays well in England, so it is hard to compare the two of them.

That wasn't really the point, but well done, I see what you did there.

Sweet Jesus.

Yeah.
    Do the usual Boggles.

Don't argue the point, just insult and walk away.

• Advertisement

Yeah.
    Do the usual Boggles.

Don't argue the point, just insult and walk away.

What point is there to argue.

Your comparing apples and oranges.

My point was defensive midfielders have a market value, they seldom if ever break the 25 million mark.

You weigh in with Veron and try pawn him off a defensive midfielder, to suit your arguement.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The transfer market really is such a different place now to a few years ago, or even 1 year ago. The amount of plyers who are being strongly linked to English clubs that are turning down the chance to go there is unprecedented in the last 10-15 years, and the amount of top players at English clubs that are linked elsewhere or actually leaving, really highlights the fact that the top players almost always follow the money, and that the 50% tax rate that is being introduced in England is the main deterrent to bog players coming to or staying in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Essien is on a different level to Mascherano, he is not just limited to an out and out defensive midfielder.

i seem to remember mascherano playing at right back last season and playing very well, got forward very well too

with regards Masch; lets not forget the effect of the loss of Makelele on Madrid, they conceded three times as many goals the next season without him. There arent many players around like Masch, replacing him would be a nightmare...

Bit of a lie, they conceded 54 as opposed to 42. They were in decline then and it wasn't all down to one player leaving.

hmm rarnes are you sure? i'm almost sure i read that in an article recently...<br />

lol my maths are all over the place today!

My point was defensive midfielders have a market value, they seldom if ever break the 25 million mark.

Attackers seldom break 25M either, but Kaka and Ronaldo smashed that rule...

What point is there to argue.

Your comparing apples and oranges.

You weigh in with Veron and try pawn him off a defensive midfielder, to suit your arguement.

So you mean the similar age.
    Nationality.
    Job on the pitch.
    Length of contract with their previous/current club.
    Or their importance to the previous/current team.

Mean nothing.

Also the fact that it's 8 years later now, and the average price of player has gone up.

Or the fact that Liverpool don't have to sell.

But ignoring Veron, how many clubs pay close to £20,000,000 for right backs?

I can think of two off the top of my head.

Liverpool.
    Barcelona.

Last year when Barca bought Alves, how many were saying "Jesus, you never pay that for a full back".

It doesn't matter what value a position has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

and boswinga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Attackers seldom break 25M either, but Kaka and Ronaldo smashed that rule...

what was the world record transfer for a defender prior to ferdinand going for £35m??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Jaysus lads, bit of realism please. The bottom line is that losing Alonso or Mascherano would be a disaster. The availability of those two players is a huge strength for us. Our effectiveness as a squad would be significantly impaired if we were to lose either or both of them. Johnson is a good addition and if nothing else happens I'd be confident that we can give things a rattle next season. But all bets are off if we lose any of our key players. And believe me, Alonso and Mascherano are extremely key.

Lloyd, you are truly the voice of reason. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

i didnt know what to think!

Oh come on, are you going to post the "Liverpool sign Bent" link next? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Something tells me that Stevie's cousin wouldn't be too pushed on signing for United.... (Manchester, obviously! I did read the article)

But exactly what that post had to do with Liverpool I don't know...

• Advertisement

Something tells me that Stevie's cousin wouldn't be too pushed on signing for United.... (Manchester, obviously! I did read the article)

But exactly what that post had to do with Liverpool I don't know...
    The Scunthorpe thread wasn't on hand to use.

Guileme's (well, Lee Watson's) Spanish paper round up.
    Just the parts of interest.

Kicking off with the big four Spanish sports dailies and, according to Barcelona based SPORT and el Mundo Deportivo, it is claimed that David Villa has reached an agreement with FC Barcelona to join the Champions this summer - all that remains to be agreed is the small matter of a transfer with his current club, Valencia, and for the player to publicly declare his intentions. SPORT reports that Villa has informed his agent, Jose Luis Tamargo, that the only club he will consider leaving the Mestalla for is Barcelona; while Mundo Deportivo claim that terms with the player were agreed at a meeting between player and senior Barcelona figures in Asturias yesterday - and that Villa has been told by Barca sporting director Txiki Begiristain that the Catalans will pull out all the stops to sign him, including paying Valencia as much as €45 million for his services.

However, SPORT suggests that Chelsea may yet intervene and that, despite Villa`s reluctance to play in England, the Premiership club`s latest bid of €47 million complicates Barcelona`s chances of agreeing a fee with Valencia. According to SPORT, the higher bids from England are the primary reason why Villa has not yet been sold to a Spanish club - while also reporting that the top man at the Mestalla, Manuel LLorente, continues to insist that there have been no new offers for Villa, that there is no need to sell him and that, as far as he is concerned, "David Villa is a Valencia player."

AS are patting themselves on the back after Gazzetta dello Sport have apparently backed up the Spanish paper`s prior claims that Juventus have entered the race to sign Xabi Alonso from Liverpool. According to the Italian paper, the Serie A club are willing to play €25 million plus Christian Poulsen in exchange for Alonso. AS believes that Rafa Benitez would be keen on Poulsen - who has struggled in Italy since leaving Sevilla - and that the Liverpool boss could be tempted, particularly if Mascherano were to leave Anfield as well (the Barcelona based papers still believe that Mascherano moving to the Camp Nou remains a distinct possibility).

The Villa part is just to quell any last thoughts of him being Anfield bound.
    also because I beleive is Barca get Villa, they won't have the money for Masch.

They only have £35,000,000 after all.

As for €25,000,000 plus Poulsen for Xabi.
    Fu€k that

Grand, let them spend it all on Villa and we'll keep Masc.

Juve have said they are not interested, so who to believe? No chance at that price anyway, and that would be a significant step down for him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11096_5409509,00.html

Sky's hopping on the FM bandwagon. Better late than never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

PiE wrote: »
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11096_5409509,00.html

Sky's hopping on the FM bandwagon. Better late than never.

They've had that feature for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As for €25,000,000 plus Poulsen for Xabi.
    Fu€k that

That would be a good valuation for him tbh - and any player exchange deal has to be the preferred option if he must go. But his importance to the club goes beyond what is reasonable or unreasonable in terms of money.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That would be a good valuation for him tbh

I really don't think it is. If Xabi said tomorrow that he wants to leave we should slap a 35-40m price on his head. I think if push comes to shove Madrid will pay that. 25m plus an ageing midfielder wouldn't cut it for me. Of course, if they threw Giovinco into the mix . . .

Or I hear that guy Sissoko is good??

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That would be a good valuation for him tbh - and any player exchange deal has to be the preferred option if he must go. But his importance to the club goes beyond what is reasonable or unreasonable in terms of money.

Poulsen is a red card waiting to happen.
    I know that Juve only spent €9,000,000 or so on him last year, but I wouldn't want him at Liverpool.
    He's a dirty player.
    Punching players on the pitch is never a good thing!

Or I hear that guy Sissoko is good??

Yes! Great squad player. Absolute beast.
    Only if he brings his glasses though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

how many clubs pay close to £20,000,000 for right backs?

I can think of two off the top of my head.

Liverpool.
    Barcelona.

Last year when Barca bought Alves, how many were saying "Jesus, you never pay that for a full back".

It doesn't matter what value a position has.

Man U
    Owen Hargreaves ;)

Barca have permission to talk to Mash according to BBC's gossip.

Would be gutted to lose him tbh.

Would be more gutted to lose Alonso.

To lose both doesn't bear thinking about

I didn't realise Poulsen was so undisciplined, no way Rafa would touch a player like that.

I didn't realise Poulsen was so undisciplined, no way Rafa would touch a player like that.
    I'm sick of this myth being spouted every time we're linked with a player with a little bit of indiscipline in their character.

Bellamy, Pennant?

Barca have permission to talk to Mash according to BBC's gossip.

Would be gutted to lose him tbh.

Would be more gutted to lose Alonso.

To lose both doesn't bear thinking about
    From a Spanish version of Goal.com (here)
    1124 BST:Barcelona are set to bid £17m for Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano after Barca's technical director received permission from Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez to make an offer.

I'd laugh off £17m tbh, £1m less then what we paid.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement