Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

IMO, Mash and Xabi are priceless and the key to next season, i'd be very surprised if we could replace them with anybody for any amount of money really. Its more than 2 players tbh its our engine room. Rafa will be doing his best to keep them and hopefully keep them for at least one more season, i know it has probably been said before but i believe this season will be the most important season we'll have in the Premier League. Keep all the players we have and have Stevie g and torres fit for most of the season and we'll do it by a mile.........Fact ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

missingtime I can't see us buying a unproven 27 year old for something in and around 17 million if we are trying to replace the alraedy 27 year old alonso - He'll go for someone younger or world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Alexis Sanchez on the other hand is a right good player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gaol er I mean Goal report that Gaetano D'Agostino has been signed by Juve but not confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

one of the lads in the know on rawk saying today that the deal is done to bring in dalglish back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

el rabitos wrote: »
    one of the lads in the know on rawk saying today that the deal is done to bring in dalglish back.

This might be the stupidest question in the history of this thread, but bear in mind I'm not a 'pool fan.....

......what is rawk??

:o

Red and White Kop website, don't go in there. They are mad.

abelard wrote: »
    This might be the stupidest question in the history of this thread, but bear in mind I'm not a 'pool fan.....

......what is rawk??

:o

nothin stupid about it,
    as mike said it's a site called red and white kop or rawk

it's for fundamentalist liverpool fans - with the emphasis on mentalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

mayordenis wrote: »
    nothin stupid about it,
    as mike said it's a site called red and white kop or rawk

it's for fundamentalist liverpool fans - with the emphasis on mentalist.

pretty accurate description.

its good for the odd bit of info, take most of it with a pinch of salt tho.

this dalglish rumour doesnt seem to be going away though, may be something to it.

Well it seems highly likely he'll be back at the club even if it's nothing more than a little Rafa PR move.

"hey everyone I go rid of Parry and look who I've now brought in"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Best Liverpool site around definately is www.thisisanfield.com great community feel, and a fantastic team behind it keeps it in great order, none of the ****e that goes on at RAWK. When you're reading a debate you'll be there a while, some boys can go on for years.

Registrations are currently closed because after the SOS/Munich thing TIA continued debate on it and SOS members started to abuse that, so they've shut it off - but if anyone wants to register PM their email and username of choice and I'll forward it to the admin there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'm more of a fan of www.irishkop.com myself.
    Great bunch of lads, and obviously being Irish and all...

Edit: The King Kenny story is doing the rounds there too.
    But second hand from RAWK.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I'm more of a fan of www.irishkop.com myself.
    Great bunch of lads, and obviously being Irish and all...

Edit: The King Kenny story is doing the rounds there too.
    But second hand from RAWK.

some nice people there but the way it's moderated is very poor imo, had two bad experiences in only a handful of posts and gave up on the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

BREAKING NEWS: Michael Owen Will Sign For Manchester United Pending A Medical - Report

Are we allowed to talk about this in here?A bit of background to this story is that the bookies slashed the odds on this move today from 20/1 to 7/4. The more respected media outlets such as The Guardian and The Times have also reported on this.

The reason I think we should we be allowed talk about this in here is because to be frank, Michael Owen was treated like the prodigal son when at Liverpool. He is a Liverpool idol, and one who is seemingly on the verge of a move to our fiercest rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

It's been discussed more so in the Utd thread, mainly because he ain't a Liverpool player no mo'.

I think to a point it can be discussed here - mostly like WTF MIKEY? and like MIKEY WTF? FU stuff like that should be fine.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    It's been discussed more so in the Utd thread, mainly because he ain't a Liverpool player no mo'.

Indeed I saw that, but I would just like comfortable surroundings in discussing this. He may not be a Liverpool player anymore, but the legacy he left sure does live on.
    mayordenis wrote: »
    I think to a point it can be discussed here - mostly like WTF MIKEY? and like MIKEY WTF? FU stuff like that should be fine.

Yeah that's what I mean. I just want to talk about the shock of it all.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

meh, the shock is that utd are desperate enough to take him and he is willing to go there knowing he is unlikely to play much, if at all.

copacetic wrote: »
    meh, the shock is that utd are desperate enough to take him and he is willing to go there knowing he is unlikely to play much, if at all.

This guy was one of my idols when I was kid, forgive me for being taken a back please.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

And also Fromvert.
    For the year that Essien was a Chelsea player before Ballack arrived at the Bridge.
    Was he sitting on the bench waiting?

Obviously not but thats one year and but since Ballack came, Essien is the midfielder that gets played in more positions due to his versatility.
    You asked if he is an attacking player. I said that for Chelsea no because he has to play a more restrictive role due to Ballack and Lampard getting the more attacking roles when in three man midfield.
    But for Ghana he gets more freedom and shows his attacking ability. So in my eyes he has got the ability to do either job, defensive or offensive. So if needs be he can be an attacking player.

Fromvert wrote: »
    He was a creative player though
    Never said he wasn't.
    Karma, you said when Veron gets the ball he passes it to the creative players. I took that as saying he is not creative. Was I wrong in doing this?

???

copacetic wrote: »

exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Who is to say he won't play? They need to keep adding British players as Giggs, Neville and Scholes will feature less and less. He is a good player when fit, and will be back to only having to worry about scoring, instead of leading the entire line and being almost the only threat at Newcastle...

Good gig for Owen, handy for Chester races. Won't be asked to carry the team, could get his England place back if he hits form/stays fit.

Though I have to say, I am likely to throw up a little in my mouth when I first see him celebrate a goal in a United jersey.

Snap him up, Rafa, he's English!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Dickerty wrote: »
    Though I have to say, I am likely to throw up a little in my mouth when I first see him celebrate a goal in a United jersey.

Snap him up, Rafa, he's English!

i hope thats a joke?

i hope so!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

To be honest I'm not bothered about MO.
    TBH I feel a bit sorry for him.

On a professional level, he'd be mad not to do it.
    Despite what some people think however, I do believe that MO has a lot of love for Liverpool, and that this was a hard decision.

If this was MO of 5 years ago, I'd be devistated.
    It's not however.
    And while I do think that he'll score and do well if he stays fit.
    I'm a hell of a lot happier to have a 29 year old, injury prone Owen, with no pace, going to UTD, than a Villa, Benzema, or Aguerro.

Obviously not but thats one year and but since Ballack came, Essien is the midfielder that gets played in more positions due to his versatility.
    You asked if he is an attacking player. I said that for Chelsea no because he has to play a more restrictive role due to Ballack and Lampard getting the more attacking roles when in three man midfield.
    But for Ghana he gets more freedom and shows his attacking ability. So in my eyes he has got the ability to do either job, defensive or offensive. So if needs be he can be an attacking player.

That was more in relation to Boggles saying defensive midfielders aren't worth more than £25 mill.

Fromvert wrote:
    ???

Again, it's out of context so causing a bit of confusion.
    That post of mine was in relation to somebody calling Veron a playmaker.

To be honest man, we've cluttered this thread up enough over the last few days.;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

MO to United, probably not too big a deal or something to get knickers in a knot about.

I mean, jebus, from a Liverpool perspective looking at United, it's Ronaldo and Tevez out, Valencia and Owen in? ooo-kay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

best of luck to michael that is some move he has got,definatly say we got the best of him,he was some player at liverpool.but id say what affection he had on the kop has been reduced further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

spockety wrote: »
    MO to United, probably not too big a deal or something to get knickers in a knot about.

I mean, jebus, from a Liverpool perspective looking at United, it's Ronaldo and Tevez out, Valencia and Owen in? ooo-kay!

Valencia for Ronaldo, I agree - i hope there are a couple more midfield signings, but on Michael, I'd be shocked if he didn't get as many goals for United in the league as Tevez did last season.

Though clearly it is not a transfer i'd have wanted, at all.

• Advertisement

prendy wrote: »
    i hope thats a joke?

i hope so!:rolleyes:

Yeh, I guess it is, wishful thinking that it would be an inspired signing like McAllister, but more likely a damp squib like Fowler...

Yeh, I guess it is, wishful thinking that it would be an inspired signing like McAllister, but more likely a damp squib like Fowler...

Fowler was a great signing.
    And a genius move by Benitez.

Great idol and rolemodel for the young players.
    Gave a legend a proper chance to say goodbye.
    And exactly as planned, endeared Benitez to the Kop.

And all for free.

How was it free, we paid him a wage. That was an expensive PR move...

He was signed on a free.

Scored 12 goals, in 20 starts and 19 sub appearances.
    Was an inspiration to fans and players.
    Is one of the reasons that Benitez has such fanatical support.
    And a lot of the young players at the time said that they learned a lot from him.

And that's a "damp squid"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Valencia for Ronaldo, I agree - i hope there are a couple more midfield signings, but on Michael, I'd be shocked if he didn't get as many goals for United in the league as Tevez did last season.

Though clearly it is not a transfer i'd have wanted, at all.

He'll probably get the same goal return, but provides none of the industry Tevez did, pretty big step down imo.

That said, i think its a decent enough move as an isolated event, but its gotta be disconcerting for the fans to see the club going for an injury prone former enemy on a free while 80million is burning a hole in the clubs pockets...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

We did but I believe it was quite low as I recall at the time he resigned it being said he'd agreed before they even spoke about money. Fowler has made himself very rich (or had at that time anyway) through property deals so money wasn't a concern.

He was signed on a free.

Scored 12 goals, in 20 starts and 19 sub appearances.
    Was an inspiration to fans and players.
    Is one of the reasons that Benitez has such fanatical support.
    And a lot of the young players at the time said that they learned a lot from him.

Which players? We haven't brought a single young player through into the first team since Gerrard. So what did they learn?

12 goals in 39 appearances isn't bad, but that includes a hat-trick of penos against Sheffied Utd.

And a lack of transfer fee doesn't mean he cost us nothing, we still paid him a good wage.

I am not debating his popularity or the non-football reasons to consider it a success, but I am talking about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

im sorry but what on earth is michael owne doing having a medicl at UTD!!! that boy is such a mercenary. that is why we loved fowler and i didnt like owen, you would NEVER hear of fowler having a medical at UTD!!! disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

mormank wrote: »
    im sorry but what on earth is michael owne doing having a medicl at UTD!!! that boy is such a mercenary. that is why we loved fowler and i didnt like owen, you would NEVER hear of fowler having a medical at UTD!!! disgusting

I know. What a b@stard. Thinking of himself and his career like that. Absolutely no regard for fans of his first professional team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He'll probably get the same goal return, but provides none of the industry Tevez did, pretty big step down imo.

That said, i think its a decent enough move as an isolated event, but its gotta be disconcerting for the fans to see the club going for an injury prone former enemy on a free while 80million is burning a hole in the clubs pockets...

That is actually a bit of a bonus imo. Tevez ran around like a headless chicken a lot of the time, his industry was sometimes great to see, often great to see, but it also meant that a lot of the time we didn't have anyone up front to pass to, or it was Tevez on the ball in midfield where his lack of creative passing would be an issue.

If Owen is will to occupy the centre backs, and try to get in behind (not sure if his legs will carry him there) he will offer something quite different to Tevez, to Rooney and Berbatov too. He is probably still a better finisher than either Berbatov or Rooney (who, though he goes through some red hot patches every season is generally inconsistent in front of goal).

Your last paragraph is spot on. I have said it many times in the United thread, and elsewhere. I'd be ok with moving for Owen, if it means we are going to spend big on bringing in some midfielders, which i think is a bigger problem area than up front is. If we brought in, for instance, Ashley Young and a top quality CM I would actually be quite happy. But, we aren't being linked to any players like that, which is a worry for me.

Another point on the Owen signing, trying my best to look on the bright side, it is less of a hinderance to the development of Kiko and Welbeck than signing a player like Huntelaar or Fabiano for big(ish) money would be, and I would like to see Kiko and Welbeck become real players for United, if they fulfill their potential.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Most Liverpool fans turned their backs on Micheal Owen as soon as he wanted to leave LFC to win "medals". LOL ! He's been a disaster at every other club he's played for, and its great to see him at Man utd... if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Most Liverpool fans turned their backs on Micheal Owen as soon as he wanted to leave LFC to win "medals". LOL ! He's been a disaster at every other club he's played for

While it might be true that most fans have no love lost for Micky, the last sentence is just untrue. He's scored goals everywhere he's gone and will do so for Utd.

If he helps them win another league, he'd probably be best giving Liverpool a wide berth for the rest of his life though ;o

Which players? We haven't brought a single young player through into the first team since Gerrard. So what did they learn?

12 goals in 39 appearances isn't bad, but that includes a hat-trick of penos against Sheffied Utd.

And a lack of transfer fee doesn't mean he cost us nothing, we still paid him a good wage.

I am not debating his popularity or the non-football reasons to consider it a success, but I am talking about football.

So you don't count Gerrards hatrick against Luton?
    Or Torres' against Reading as it was only the Carling Cup?

Fowler took a pay cut to come here.
    We weren't paying him very much at all.
    When did I say young players coming through the youth system?
    I said young players.

And lastly, that's just it.
    There is no purely football reasons.

You think Torres was bought, just to score goals?
    No.
    He was bought to sell shirts.
    And for the new owners to arrive with a bang.

How many "God" jerseys do you think were bought after Fowler returned?

Fowler was a very esutute signing.

So you don't count Gerrards hatrick against Luton?
    Or Torres' against Reading as it was only the Carling Cup?

Yes, they count, but I wouldn't use them as the basis for an argument about their success.
    Fowler took a pay cut to come here.
    We weren't paying him very much at all.

He took a pay cut from the silly money he was on, but he wasn't playing for nothing. Every 20K a week is a million a year.
    When did I say young players coming through the youth system?
    I said young players.

Then who? Again, I cannot think of many young players who were in the squad at the time who have pushed on, unless we are counting Kuyt or Reina?
    Fowler was a very esutute signing.

Maybe so, for all those reasons. But instead of signing him, maybe we could have signed a young striker, and given them 18 months of experience...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

:o:o
    NO!!!!
    Incorrect!!!

The term IS:
    a damp squib
    :eek:

Owen, meh!
    shame but meh

if gets fit ,will score goals
    but so would who ever else they would have signed in his place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

Man it'll be very strange seeing Michael Owen wearing a Man U shirt next season if he does sign for them.

If MO decided to sign for Man U 5 years ago I think Liverpool fans would have been justifiably pissed off. But it's not, it's 5 years on & what other options has he got now? Hull FFS. Cant blame him 1 bit for taking such a great opportunity.

He will be a good signing for Man U if the contract is favourable towards Utd should he get a run of injuries. Anybody know how long a contract he is being offered by Utd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Kaka's first role with the club - official tap-up merchant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

lot of people were undecided about Owen's status as a legend, was he deserved of boos etc.

imo, he will have now made up most peoples mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

When he was at Ac Milan he said he wanted Gerrard...feck of Kaka.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement