Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

mink_man wrote: »
    pool fans are scared owen will score goals and be a success.

I'm really not worried, after last season I think we have seen the best of him.:) If anyone quotes me on that after he becomes top goalscorer, you die.:pac: For a free, it;s worth the punt.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Whatever I'll be honest in my time as a liverpool fan, rush, fowler, torres, even collymore, baros and meijer have given more to the club as strikers, I hope he has plenty of success and kisses the badge when he taps in his odd goal or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Liverpool got the best out of Owen.

I just hope dossena cannot keep his murderous rage in check the next time he lines up against utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

mayordenis wrote: »
    Whatever I'll be honest in my time as a liverpool fan, rush, fowler, torres, even collymore, baros and meijer have given more to the club as strikers, I hope he has plenty of success and kisses the badge when he taps in his odd goal or 2.

Meijer :eek:. Come on, ya can't be serious?

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Meijer :eek:. Come on, ya can't be serious?

No I'm not. jesus.

ShaneU wrote: »
    We're getting him for peanuts, we have nothing to lose really, well worth the gamble.

Pay peanuts and you get monkeys work.............or something along those lines

mayordenis wrote: »
    No I'm not. jesus.

*wipes brow* lots a crazy things being said around here today.

Oh, and don't call me Jesus :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Actually, most pool fans would have been alot more scared of benzema. United fans would have preferred benzema. And the current michael owen is a 'has been', mutton dressed up as lamb. Liverpool got the best out of him as a footballer.

Owen will score a few goals at united, as would bobby zamora, the big picture is, that united fans want/need/crave a more emerging talent and options are drying up quickly.

Its not a united bashing exercise im on. I said that he grabbed the cash when he went to newcastle and hes happy to do so again, got no problem with it.

Hes more interested in horses these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

TBH, If he goes to UTD , puts the effort in and does well he'll go down in my estimation as a person after watching him swan around the pitch and generally not give a **** for Newcastle. He wasnt alone at Newcastle but theres no excuse for that while still turnign up to collect your wages at the end of the week.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    TBH, If he goes to UTD , puts the effort in and does well he'll go down in my estimation as a person after watching him swan around the pitch and generally not give a **** for Newcastle. He wasnt alone at Newcastle but theres no excuse for that while still turnign up to collect your wages at the end of the week.

He's gone to United

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jul/03/michael-owen-manchester-united-transfer

DeadSkin wrote: »

I know that. maybe I could have phrased it slightly better .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

A few weeks ago when Ronaldo was sold I was worried about M*n Utd signing Benzema or Ribery, seems they're getting none of them, though the transfer season has a long way to go yet. wouldn't be surprised to see Ribery going that way, if he does I'd be well worried.

As regards Owen, he has a good chance of pulling off a good couple of seasons. Injuries aside natural strikers dont lose their touch, he is still only 29. Look at Sheringham. I said to my mates a few weeks ago we should sign Owen, why not, we need another striker. Sorry to see utd get him.

bijapos wrote: »
    As regards Owen, he has a good chance of pulling off a good couple of seasons. Injuries aside natural strikers dont lose their touch, he is still only 29. Look at Sheringham. I said to my mates a few weeks ago we should sign Owen, why not, we need another striker. Sorry to see utd get him.

Picking up injuries or getting older doesnt affect a player like Sheringham anywhere near the way it does with Owen. Sheringham never had and never relied on pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

How is Owen a Judas? What do you want him to do, go and work for Phil Brown so as not to upset Liverpool fans? The same fans that have mocked him by chanting "Where were you in Istanbul"?

He has aspirations to play at a World Cup and he's got an outside chance of doing so now.

He's not a Judas he's a guy with a brain. This is his last big chance and he has taken it. I can understand the frustration, if Tevez went to Liverpool it would hurt for example, but in Owen's case it's just common sense.

Come on Owen had more suitors than just Phill Brown.

If you think Owen joining Man United doesnt sound like a traitor well then ill have to agree to disagree. Its something that shouldnt be done in my eyes and especially by someone who has such a connection to Liverpool.

Il never forget the time Fowler scored against United when playing for City and he did the five times salute to the United fans. Thats what former pool players should be doing NOT joining them.

Put it this way. Owen is,this season going to try and help Manchester United pass out Liverpool in league titles. There is something entirely wrong about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I don't care if he won us the F.A Cup in 2001, Owen can **** right off. I hope and am sure he'll get dog's abuse at Anfield next season. And the Torres song will be sung louder than ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Boggles wrote: »
    Yeah maybe the grand parents do.

United no matter who Liverpool have on staff will always be the bigger national / international wide pull, simply because at this moment in time they are successful.

Just ask Roy Keane.

Ask Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I'm very worried that Owen magically stays the season injury free, because we will score goals, there's absolutely no doubt about that.

You could argue we've seen the best of Owen in the past, but you don't lose the knack for scoring by moving to a wrong club, part of the reason he didn't score was A) he was injured most of the time and B) Newcastle can't create ****.

the big question however is if he can stay fit week in week out. there's plenty of creativity in this utd side that can create chance after chance after chance, and for me a fit michael owen is one of the best in the world at putting those chances away.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I'm very worried that Owen magically stays the season injury free, because we will score goals, there's absolutely no doubt about that.

You could argue we've seen the best of Owen in the past, but you don't lose the knack for scoring by moving to a wrong club, part of the reason he didn't score was A) he was injured most of the time and B) Newcastle can't create ****.

the big question however is if he can stay fit week in week out. there's plenty of creativity in this utd side that can create chance after chance after chance, and for me a fit michael owen is one of the best in the world at putting those chances away.

I would have been more worried if they'd signed Benzema

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    One thing,don't mention Fowler in the same sentence as Owen.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Not in the same sport, never mind the same league.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Strange one Owen going to united.

I remember when Ince signed for us I was p*ssed off and even with some big performances from him I could never fully take to him at all.

Until he scored the equaliser against Utd in 99.
    He was okay for at least 30 minutes after that.;)

Fowler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

joe123 wrote: »

If you think Owen joining Man United doesnt sound like a traitor well then ill have to agree to disagree. Its something that shouldnt be done in my eyes and especially by someone who has such a connection to Liverpool.

Il never forget the time Fowler scored against United when playing for City and he did the five times salute to the United fans. Thats what former pool players should be doing NOT joining them.

Put it this way. Owen is,this season going to try and help Manchester United pass out Liverpool in league titles. There is something entirely wrong about that.

I was at Anfield for a game against Spurs that day and the stadium errupted when it was announced that Fowler had scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Liverpool Promise Real Madrid Xabi Alonso Talks Will Begin Soon
    Real Madrid will finally be granted a fair opportunity to negotiate with Liverpool for the transfer of Xabi Alonso.

According to AS, the Anfield outfit’s new managing director, Christian Purslow, has told his counterpart in the Spanish capital, Jorge Valdano, to give him a few days before opening formal discussions as he first wants to undertake an extensive revision of the club’s accounts to determine their economic situation and set an appropriate asking price for the midfielder.

Rafael Benitez has previously insisted that the 27-year-old would not be going anywhere for less than €40 million, a figure that the 'White House' would not even consider, but Italian newspaper Tuttosport speculated yesterday that the Reds would accept a €32m bid from Madrid.

The Spanish sports daily, on the other hand, believes that Purslow, who has been appointed as Liverpool’s chief negotiator in all transfer matters, could settle for a €35 million deal with full-back Alvaro Arbeloa included in the agreement.

Los Blancos are reportedly keeping in close contact with Alonso’s agent, Inaki Ibanez, while Valdano is said to have already begun working on a contractual agreement for the Basque-born midfielder.

KS Leong, Goal.com

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/07/03/1361024/liverpool-promise-real-madrid-xabi-alonso-talks-will-begin

Not sure how reliable the source is but this is going to fester all summer until either Alonso makes an official statement about his future.

My honest opinion on this is happiness, mixed with a tiny bit of apprehension, but most of all Meh!

Owen will score for Utd, but nowhere near enough.
    I was quite frankly terrified of Benzema or Aguero going to Utd (especialy Aguero) so seeing MO going instead has had me smiling all day.:D

There's a slight bit of aprehension, as there's always the chance of him scoring an important goal, or dare I say a winner against us, and him being Owen will just make the Utd fans more unbearable.

But that's just it.
    My aprehension isn't for MO going to Old Trafford.
    It's for the fans being full of it if he happens to score a poxy winner somewhere along the line.
    Not for his contribution over a whole season.
    I know that no matter how many times I point out that I don't care, every time that Owen scores, I'll get a dozen texts off Utd fans trying to gloat.
    That will get tiresome.

MO was never a true Liverpool legend in fairness, and while this nails the coffin shut on that, it wasn't as if the lid wasn't already in place.

I don't blame Owen for going.
    I fully understand it.
    You can't say "Fowler would never have done that" because Fowler was on another plane of existance as a Liverpool hero.

Some players are great players and servants, and some are special.
    Grobelaar was a great player, but not a true, true, legend.
    Souness the same.
    They were great, great, players but not on the top tier of legends.

There's a reason that players like Dalglish, Liddel, Fowler, etc are revered.
    They bleed Liverpool.
    They didn't play for money.
    Or glory.
    They played for Liverpool Football Club.
    And more importantly they played for the fans.
    They were exactly what Shankly meant when he said that he always drummed it into the players that they were playing for the fans.

At the moment we have 3 players in our team that are close to that, or could one day be seen the same way.

Gerrard obviously, who despite what some will try and say, never wanted to leave.

Carra who embodies it more than anyone else in decades, if not ever.

And IMO Nando, who's as in love with the fans as we are with him.

But all three have a lot to do before they can join the boys.

MO was never close to any of them, and growing up watching him he never inspired the same adoration as God for me.
    His heart wasn't there to anywhere near the same extent.
    To Owen, it was more a job than an affliction.

So the way I see it, I can understand MO doing this because he is Michael Owen.
    I could never understand Fowler doing it, because Robbie would never, ever do it!
    So, while I'm hardly going to wish Owen well, I don't feel any particular animosity, hatred, or betrayal.
    I'm just gonna wish him the same as any Utd striker.
    Two left feet!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If Torres went to United fair enough he'd be a Judas seeing as he's been one of the most feared strikers in Europe, but Owen? Pretty much everyone felt his career was over and that he was finished. He has just been relegated after all. What offers had he seriously got besides Hull? Blackburn refused to consider him with Allardyce citing the injury worries. The chances of him playing again for England seemed impossible.

Then suddenly, out of nowhere, United come in and offer him a lifeline. You honestly think he should have shot that offer down?

Yes Owen will be helping United try and retain the league but he's also trying to prove a point and resurrect his career. This is his last chance.

To use an analogy it's a bit like Owen Hargreaves getting released by United due to his injury worries, going to some other clubs and being written off from ever playing for his country or a big club again, and then suddenly Benitez coming along and offering him a contract and a chance to turn his career around. Not only do I not think Hargreaves would be a Judas in such a situation but I think he'd be an idiot to turn down the opportunity.

DALGLISH IN NUMBERS

440,000 pounds. That's how much Bob Paisley paid Celtic in August 1977. Dalglish was brought to the club to replace Kevin Keegan after his move to Hamburg

30,461 fans turned out for The King's testimonial at Anfield in 1990, helping raise in the region of £150,000 gate receipts. The Reds beat Real Sociedad 3-1

836 club games

515 Liverpool appearances

339 club goals

321 Celtic appearances

307 games in charge at Anfield

259 games to score 100 league goals

180 consecutive first-team appearances between 1977-78 and 80-81

172 Liverpool goals

167 Celtic goals

102 caps. On becoming the first Scot to make a century of appearances, Dalglish was presented with a silver cap by Franz Beckenbauer

97 minutes to score his first Liverpool goal. After failing to get on the scoresheet in the Charity Shield against Man Utd, King Kenny netted just seven minutes into his league debut versus Middlesbrough

41 goals for Celtic in 1972-73

38 years old when he played his last game for Liverpool, coming on as a sub for Jan Molby against Derby County in May 1990

37 games unbeaten as Liverpool manager from August 1987 to February 1988

37 goals for Cumbernauld United, Celtic's nursery side, during the 1967-68 season.

31 goals in his first season at Anfield

30 goals for Scotland - a record shared with Denis Law

23 goals in just 49 appearances during his first season as a regular at Celtic

19 pieces of major silverware in the Anfield trophy room, accumulated in just 13 seasons

15 Wembley appearances as a Liverpool player

15 years old when he first had a trial at Liverpool in 1966. He played in a B team match against Southport, but no transfer transpired

10 major trophies with Celtic

8 league championships with Liverpool; five as a player, three as player/manager

7 was The King's number

4 Manager of the Year awards with Liverpool and Blackburn

3 European Cup winner's medals

3 World Cups. He would have played in four had a knee injury not kept him out of Mexico '86

2 FA Cup final victories over Everton

2 Football Writers' Player of the Year awards

2 hat-tricks for Liverpool, against Wrexham and Man City

1 MBE

1 red card, against Benfica in 1984-85

1 Kenny Dalglish

bowing.gif

Reds legend Kenny Dalglish today spoke of his delight after taking up a new position with Liverpool FC.

Dalglish will assume a senior role at the Liverpool Academy and will also act as a club ambassador working with the commercial side of the business around the world.

Following recent changes, Academy Director Frank McParland now reports to manager Rafael Benitez and Kenny will play a key role alongside Frank in driving forward the development of the Academy. Dalglish, who will be based at the Kirkby site, met with Benitez and McParland this morning on his first day back at the club.

"I spoke to Rafa a few months ago and things have progressed from there," said Dalglish. "Now that it has come to fruition I am very excited, but also a bit nervous.

"For the boss to put his trust in me is a great compliment and I am coming back as a very lucky person. When you leave a club you don't often have a chance to return, so I am fortunate for being given such a fantastic opportunity.

"Rafa has made a very brave decision to revamp the Academy. There are lots of positive things happening here and there is a real feel-good factor around the place. It's fantastic for me to be a part of that.

"People who come to the Academy should be delighted that Rafa is taking such an interest in the development of the young players.

"Everyone knows the most important team at the club is the first team and hopefully we can start producing players to challenge for a place in Rafa's plans. It won't happen overnight but I'm looking forward to working with Frank McParland and the rest of the Academy staff to do the best job I can."

Dalglish will also work with the Liverpool commercial team as club ambassador, and added: "There's a lot of work to be done and I will do whatever is asked of me. I'm just so pleased to be back."

Rafael Benitez added: "I am really pleased to have Kenny as a part of the staff. We were looking for someone who has a knowledge and a passion for the club and Kenny is the perfect choice.

"He will help at the Academy with the development of players and will also have an ambassadorial role at the club. If you're looking for somebody to go around the world on behalf of Liverpool Football Club then I don't know anybody better than Kenny.

"When you talk to him about players and football systems it's clear he has a lot of experience. That's good for the club and also for the young players coming through.

"We are changing things at the Academy, we are bringing in new ideas and new people but we're keeping the spirit and the heart of the club. Kenny has played for the club, he's managed the club, he's done everything. He's a fantastic signing."

I'm just so happy.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'd nearly wish he'd agree to stick on the No. 7 for one last season...

I'd nearly wish he'd agree to stick on the No. 7 for one last season...

He'd do a damn better job than Kewel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Just saw pepe reina playing poker on channel 4.....lookin cool in a white jacket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Balderdash. He owes us nothing. He owes it to himself to play for the best team that will have him.

To use an analogy it's a bit like Owen Hargreaves getting released by United due to his injury worries, going to some other clubs and being written off from ever playing for his country or a big club again, and then suddenly Benitez coming along and offering him a contract and a chance to turn his career around. Not only do I not think Hargreaves would be a Judas in such a situation but I think he'd be an idiot to turn down the opportunity.

To be fair its nothing like that at all. Owen was with liverpool in youths and senior from 1991 to 2004, played over 200 games with Liverpool Senior team and over 100 goals.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Balderdash. He owes us nothing. He owes it to himself to play for the best team that will have him.

Dont worry about it, Michael Owen will take care of Michael Owen, always has always will. Raise that Man U scarf high Michael......and give the badge a kiss aswell.........big time charlie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Can't believe some of the stick owen is getting.
    The lad was incredible when at Liverpool and carried the club for a couple of seasons winning games on his own . Just because he isn't " Liverpool for life" people abuse him yet if torres left now he would be guranteed cult status for life , yet he hasn't been as successful as owen(Im sure he will surpass owen).
    The problem with owen was he was always " englands michael owen" and not " liverpool michael owen" unlike fowler.
    But I for one will never forget the goals he scored the defenses he terrorized .
    He cost us nothing scored a bag load of goals and made us 12 or so million.
    Unfortunatly I can't wish him success but best of luck to the lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Morning reds, todays gossip

Liverpool will insist on taking Real Madrid striker Alvaro Negredo in a swap deal before allowing midfielder Xabi Alonso to move to the Bernebau.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/07/04/exclusive-xabi-alonso-moving-to-real-madrid-dependent-on-alvaro-negredo-swap-deal-115875-21493148/

Liverpool are being put off by Udinese's £18m asking price for Swiss midfielder Gokhan Inler.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1197395/Liverpool-fear-price-war-Inler-move.html

zAbbo wrote: »
    Morning reds, todays lies

Liverpool will insist on taking Real Madrid striker Alvaro Negredo in a swap deal before allowing midfielder Xabi Alonso to move to the Bernebau.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/07/04/exclusive-xabi-alonso-moving-to-real-madrid-dependent-on-alvaro-negredo-swap-deal-115875-21493148/

Liverpool are being put off by Udinese's £18m asking price for Swiss midfielder Gokhan Inler.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1197395/Liverpool-fear-price-war-Inler-move.html

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

From May 4th
    Alvaro Negredo has revealed that Liverpool have made their interest in him known and has stated that he would like to join them and play alongside Fernando Torres.

The 24-year-old striker is currently playing for Almeria, but Real Madrid have a buy-back clause in his contract that they could activate this summer in order to sell him on.

Liverpool's confirmed interest will heighten expectations of boosting Los Merengues' transfer fund and Negredo is hopeful that a deal can be worked out.

"To play next to Fernando Torres at Anfield is a dream and any player would accept that," he told Sky Sports.

"But I prefer to talk about reality and I have not spoken with Rafa Benitez, but I do know that some contact exists between the clubs."

Did this thread report on this news? Can't remember.

Don't think so Mike.

But it's fairly ambiguous as usual.
    The contact could have been Real saying what about Negredo, and Liverpool saying no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

Can't believe some of the stick owen is getting.
    The lad was incredible when at Liverpool and carried the club for a couple of seasons winning games on his own . Just because he isn't " Liverpool for life" people abuse him yet if torres left now he would be guranteed cult status for life , yet he hasn't been as successful as owen(Im sure he will surpass owen).
    The problem with owen was he was always " englands michael owen" and not " liverpool michael owen" unlike fowler.
    But I for one will never forget the goals he scored the defenses he terrorized .
    He cost us nothing scored a bag load of goals and made us 12 or so million.
    Unfortunatly I can't wish him success but best of luck to the lad

im sorry but if torres left for UTD now he would not be gauranteed cult status for life at all!!!! even if he left to go back to spain he would not be im afraid. he had one great season and one injury interrupted season, hardly the stuff of legends. the great thing about torres is that he will in the future score bag loads of goals for the pool!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Last swiss player we bought that was any good anyone? :)

Last swiss player we bought that was any good anyone? :)

Henchoz? Was he Swiss?:p

Degen of course!

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

Lee Watsons latest Spanish paper round up.
    (All the LFC related bits)
    The editor`s regular trawl through the Spanish sports press highlights a few transfer rumours involving Real Madrid`s interest in Xabi Alonso; Barcelona`s focus on Mascherano; the Samuel Eto`o saga; Negredo`s talks with Tottenham; Maxi`s world cup worries and the haggling over Zokora...

The name of Xabi Alonso features prominently in both of the Madrid based sports papers this morning, with AS claiming that Liverpool`s newly appointed executive director, Christian Purslow, has asked Real Madrid to give him time to go over his club`s finances before responding to Florentino Perez` latest €35 million offer.

The Madrid paper points out that it is Rafa Benitez who will have the final say on whether or not his Spanish midfielder will be sold and that in order to secure funding for new players, the Liverpool boss has instructed Purslow to insist upon the maximum possible fee for Alonso.

AS also believes that Alonso`s agent, Iñaki Ibáñez, is in constant dialogue with Jorge Valdano, and that in the next few days the Liverpool midfielder will himself phone Rafa Benitez to persuade the Liverpool manager to allow him to leave Anfield and fulfill his dream of playing for Real Madrid.

MARCA has a slightly different take on the Alonso story and claims that Real Madrid are looking at De Rossi of Roma as an alternative to Alonso: as they have been “put off by the scandalously high €42 million fee demanded by Liverpool for the Spanish midfielder." Marca believes that given Roma`s current financial status, the Italians would be willing to sell De Rossi for around €25 -30 million.

Marca`s front page features a big picture of David Silva who, according to the Spanish Paper: “is crazy about moving to the Bernabeu.” The Valencia midfielder, frequently linked with Liverpool by readers on this site, is the most likely player to next jump aboard the Real Madrid showboat according to Marca– with a transfer fee thought to be in the region of €25 million. However, the paper also suggests that Valencia`s desire to hold on to the player until late August – owing to that club`s desire to secure investment before flogging off the club`s prize assets – would be a problem for Real Madrid who want their transfer activity tied up ahead of pre-season.

MARCA also believes, despite Liverpool`s insistence to the contrary, that Alvaro Negredo could be the key to the Alonso transfer and that a swap deal with Liverpool would make up the shortfall between Liverpool`s valuation of Alonso and the amount Real are prepared to pay. Marca also reports that Negredo`s agents held talks with representatives of both Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur in London yesterday. (Negredo is also reportedly a target for Villarreal, but the Spanish side are aware of the competition for his signature and are already speaking with alternatives, writes Marca, with Gonzalo Bergesio of San Lorenzo in Argentina at least one possibility.)

MARCA are also reporting that FC Barcelona, despite agreeing a deal with David Villa, will not go beyond €40 million for the Valencia player and that if a lower fee cannot be agreed, they will move for Diego Forlan who would be available for €25 million.

The Barcelona based sports papers are, understandably, dominated by the David Villa story and both SPORT and Mundo Deportivo seem to take it for granted that the Spanish international striker will be a Barcelona player next season. SPORT insists that, despite Manuel Llorente`s insistence that his club do not need to sell, the financial situation at the Mestalla is so dire that the Valencia chief really has no other choice – it is just a question of when and how much.

The paper edition of SPORT claims that, once David Villa has been secured, the Spanish champions will focus all of their efforts on prising Javier Mascherano away from Liverpool. However, the basis of this claim seems to be a consequence of stories bouncing backwards and forwards between the Spanish and English media - and even SPORT manages to contradict themselves between their online and paper editions: the paper`s website is simultaneously claiming that Juan Mata will become the priority for FC Barcelona once Villa has been signed.

And as I finish typing, a couple of the Madrid papers are claiming that Inter Milan are in talks with Real Madrid over the transfer of Wesley Sneijder…

I included the Sneijder bit, as he was nosed around as apart of the Alonso deal at some stage.

"Scandously high".............go **** yourselves Marca you brown nosing puppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    "Scandously high".............go **** yourselves Marca you brown nosing puppets.

Well when you consider we would have taken £18,000,000 for him last season, asking for £35,000,000 will I'm sure annoy them a bit.

I hope it annoys them enough to fu€k right off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Tribal is so unbelievably bad, i can't imagine someone going there everyday that taking their tripe as gospel. this article has 5 lines. wtf sort of an article is that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sign De Rossi ya [edited] toss-pots!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement