Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Well when you consider we would have taken £18,000,000 for him last season, asking for £35,000,000 will I'm sure annoy them a bit.

I hope it annoys them enough to fu€k right off.

Valuations for two totally different players as far as I'm concerned Karma!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Last swiss player we bought that was any good anyone? :)
    Inler is a very good player and would be an excellent signing for Liverpool if Alonso leaves, he is highly rated in Italy and at £18m I think he would be a good buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Valuations for two totally different players as far as I'm concerned Karma!:pac:

It's all down to the beard.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

dor83 wrote: »
    Inler is a very good player and would be an excellent signing for Liverpool if Alonso leaves, he is highly rated in Italy and at £18m I think he would be a good buy.

I had to laugh when I read "Highly rated in Italy".

How many players have left that league and failed to make the grade? Doss, Sheva, Veron...all highly rated but failed to make the cut in the Premiership.

Similarly, how many players were described as useless and turned out to be brilliant? I'm talking about messers Bergkamp and Henry

To quote one of our famous number 9's, "Playing for Juventus was like playing in a foreign country". Ian Rush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Balderdash. He owes us nothing. He owes it to himself to play for the best team that will have him.

He owes us nothing? We helped pay that lads wages for years. The club took him in at youth level trained him and made him the footballer he was.

I know football is more and more about money these days. But seriously its bad when the fans dont consider loyalty and principles a factor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Owen is OLD NEWS, he left in 2004 FFS.

Can't believe some of the stick owen is getting.
    The lad was incredible when at Liverpool and carried the club for a couple of seasons winning games on his own . Just because he isn't " Liverpool for life" people abuse him yet if torres left now he would be guranteed cult status for life , yet he hasn't been as successful as owen(Im sure he will surpass owen).
    The problem with owen was he was always " englands michael owen" and not " liverpool michael owen" unlike fowler.
    But I for one will never forget the goals he scored the defenses he terrorized .
    He cost us nothing scored a bag load of goals and made us 12 or so million.
    Unfortunatly I can't wish him success but best of luck to the lad

No the main problem here is that hes just signed for Liverpools biggest rivals. Who alot of fans have a hatred for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

joe123 wrote: »
    He owes us nothing? We helped pay that lads wages for years. The club took him in at youth level trained him and made him the footballer he was.

Was he not top scorer every season he played for ye?
    I know football is more and more about money these days.

Everton offered him alot more money a week if you believe the reports.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I had to laugh when I read "Highly rated in Italy".

How many players have left that league and failed to make the grade? Doss, Sheva, Veron...all highly rated but failed to make the cut in the Premiership.

Similarly, how many players were described as useless and turned out to be brilliant? I'm talking about messers Bergkamp and Henry

To quote one of our famous number 9's, "Playing for Juventus was like playing in a foreign country". Ian Rush.
    I was saying that he is highly rated in Italy to emphasize that £18m is not a huge amount to spent on him, I have seen him play quite a few times and he is a very good player. Anybody who watched Serie A could have told you Sheva was not going to work for them before he joined Chelsea, Veron was an excellent player but was not suited to Utd and personally I never rated Dossena that highly, he was decent but not that good that he should be playing for a top european team. Every player is a risk and say you wouldn't sign a player because he is highly rated in Italy would be a big mistake imo.

I was saying that he is highly rated in Italy to emphasize that £18m is not a huge amount to spent on him, I have seen him play quite a few times and he is a very good player. Anybody who watched Serie A could have told you Sheva was not going to work for them before he joined Chelsea, Veron was an excellent player but was not suited to Utd and personally I never rated Dossena that highly, he was decent but not that good that he should be playing for a top european team. Every player is a risk and say you wouldn't sign a player because he is highly rated in Italy would be a big mistake imo.

Ahh come on. Your saying you know all those transfers would be a flop?

I don't know what you work at buddy, but you should be chief scout for a top 4 side with that insight, or is that hindsight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

No the main problem here is that hes just signed for Liverpools biggest rivals. Who alot of fans have a hatred for.

In all fairness he would have been insane not to take the offer.

Boggles wrote: »
    Was he not top scorer every season he played for ye?

Everton offered him alot more money a week if you believe the reports.

Id rather him play for Everton than help United try and claim their 19th league title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

On a side note, I think the Owen move could potentially cause problems for England. My gut instinct is that in a decent team he will notch a few goals and stay reasonably fit if used purely in a supersub role.

Once he scores a goal the English press will start to rev up the hypeometer and start giving Capello grief for not including him in the squad. As he has been a non performing crock the last few seasons, the press have let his exclusion thus far, slide.

Though I dont think England will win the world cup, there is no doubt they are a force to be reckoned with under Capello. If Owen comes back into the squad with his "pick me I am special" selfish attitude that he is well known for, this could cause dressing room upset and undermine the manager who so far has been able to get the good results with this team through his disciplined stance and strength of convictions.

Capello is his own man, but thus far he actually has not had to deal with the English press imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I know football is more and more about money these days. But seriously its bad when the fans dont consider loyalty and principles a factor.

Loyalty goes both ways. Where were Liverpool fans calling for Liverpool to sign him when he was going through a rough time in Newcastle?

Fans will want what is best for their clubs.
    Players will want what is best for themselves.

The idea that he should be loyal is about as stupid as saying that the club should be loyal to him.

Id rather him play for Everton than help United try and claim their 19th league title.

Ovbiously you would, but thats neither here nor there.

Your point was he joined United for the money.

population wrote: »
    On a side note, I think the Owen move could potentially cause problems for England. My gut instinct is that in a decent team he will notch a few goals and stay reasonably fit if used purely in a supersub role.

Once he scores a goal the English press will start to rev up the hypeometer and start giving Capello grief for not including him in the squad. As he has been a non performing crock the last few seasons, the press have let his exclusion thus far, slide.

Though I dont think England will win the world cup, there is no doubt they are a force to be reckoned with under Capello. If Owen comes back into the squad with his "pick me I am special" selfish attitude that he is well known for, this could cause dressing room upset and undermine the manager who so far has been able to get the good results with this team through his disciplined stance and strength of convictions.

Capello is his own man, but thus far he actually has not had to deal with the English press imo

As long as Capello keeps winning the press can't touch him.

Ovbiously you would, but thats neither here nor there.

Your point was he joined United for the money.

I meant to emphasise the "loyalty" and "principles" part more.

Ahh come on. Your saying you know all those transfers would be a flop?

I don't know what you work at buddy, but you should be chief scout for a top 4 side with that insight, or is that hindsight?
    Sheva and Dossena yes, I said it when they signed to a few friends who watch Serie A and they all agreed but Veron no, I though he would be a great signing but as I said Utd didn't use him to his best so he never looked as good for them as he did in Italy. I'm not claiming to be a scout or anything, or that I'm always right, but I do watch a lot of Italian football so have a good basis to make a judgement on players coming from Serie A. I just think that to say a player is not worth signing because he is highly rated in Italy is a big mistake.

I meant to emphasise the "loyalty" and "principles" part more.

Like I said previously, he was top scorer for Liverpool every season he played for ye and eventually left making ye 8 million.

He has since been through the mill with 2 other clubs and suffered bad injuries.

He has a shot at the big time again with a chance to play for one of the biggest clubs on the planet and for some reason he is being disloyal to small minded supporters of another club he left half a decade ago?

How about being disloyal to himself if he didn't grab this opportunity with both hands?

I think you need to get over it mate, plenty players shafted by their clubs over the years, Beardsley instantly springs to mind.

As PHB said loyalty is a 2 way street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

PHB wrote: »
    Loyalty goes both ways. Where were Liverpool fans calling for Liverpool to sign him when he was going through a rough time in Newcastle?

Fans will want what is best for their clubs.
    Players will want what is best for themselves.

The idea that he should be loyal is about as stupid as saying that the club should be loyal to him.

I think you will find that there was always an element, myself included, who would have loved to have Michael back. I would of had the same attitude to it that many Man U fans have right now; on the free, he was worth a punt.

• Advertisement

Dossena was highly rated in italy, not so much outside it, but when you consider he was being scouted by Juve, that puts him on quite a pedestal over there

18M would be a lot of money to spend on someone who has the potential to be a flop and after the keane debacle we can hardly afford to spend so much money on a player that could turn out to be another veron and shevchenko.

we have progressed so much over the course of last season and dont need to be going backwards by signing someone for big money who could be moved on at the end of the season cos it didnt work out, such as bellamy and keane and to certain extent dossena

18M would be a lot of money to spend on someone who has the potential to be a flop and after the keane debacle we can hardly afford to spend so much money on a player that could turn out to be another veron and shevchenko.

Every player has the potential to be flop, if a club takes that attitude it will never a sign anyone again.

I can think off hand of a dozen players that came from Serie A and blew the premeirship away.

Every player has the potential to be flop, if a club takes that attitude it will never a sign anyone again.

I can think off hand of a dozen players that came from Serie A and blew the premeirship away.

Obviously every player could be a flop which is why teams have networks of scouts watching players and reporting back to their manager to say whether the player would fit into that teams system, instead of us telling the manager to sign someone cos we thought he was good in pro evo or FM or saw a video on youtube.

Hell David Silva could be a flop but because Benitez has been watching him for about two years now, he sees him as someone who could work well at Liverpool.

What I'm saying is because of Liverpool's suggested small pot of cash, they shouldn't blow it all on someone that instead of taking us to the next level, bring us backward.

Arsene Wenger was linked to Inler in the past two transfer windows, and from what i've seen and can remember, Arsenal and Liverpool play nothing alike. Inler could be perfect for Arsenal but woeful for Liverpool

This is what I was trying to say, just because he is playing in Italy doesn't make him any more of a risk than any other player from abroad. If you get £35m for Alonso then I think £18m would be a good price for Inler and you would be making £17m out of it too.

This is what I was trying to say, just because he is playing in Italy doesn't make him any more of a risk than any other player from abroad. If you get £35m for Alonso then I think £18m would be a good price for Inler and you would be making £17m out of it too.

If it were 18M then thats still a fair bit pricey considering they were willing to let him go for less in January. and considering a quote from his agent, the Udinese Chairman is looking for a bit more than 18M,
    SKYSPORTS wrote:
    "It is a fact that Udinese have already received an offer worth £16m for Gokhan. This has been rejected as the chairman wants £22.5m."

If it were 18M then thats still a fair bit pricey considering they were willing to let him go for less in January. and considering a quote from his agent, the Udinese Chairman is looking for a bit more than 18M,
    I hadn't read that, everything I had read and all the Italian papers are apparently saying £18m so that why I said that. There are a couple of reasons his price has gone up since January though, he has had a great second half of the season, and you have to remember that every players valuation has gone up this transfer window because of all the money being thrown around, unfortunately.

I hadn't read that, everything I had read and all the Italian papers are apparently saying £18m so that why I said that. There are a couple of reasons his price has gone up since January though, he has had a great second half of the season, and you have to remember that every players valuation has gone up this transfer window because of all the money being thrown around, unfortunately.

Thats very true. Damn "moneybags" Real have screwed up a lot of things.

Theyre unsettling players, managers and have turned transfer fees on their head.

With my previous "rant" I wasn't dismissing Inler as someone completely rubbish because I think he's a decent player from what I've seen from Serie A this season. I just don't want to see Liverpool splashing the cash on someone that possibly won't fit into their system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

And when we paid his wages he went out and crushed for us consistently. He gave us 8 seasons. And when he left, it was to the biggest club in the world. How can people have a problem with that?

These two posts don't help you mate. To Liverpool fans who live and work in Liverpool, to the players - Everton is the biggest rival and would be the biggest betrayal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

Does anyone know when preseason training starts and when the Spanish Contingent are due back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Owen going to United only bothers me because I hoped that we would try to re-sign him. I am also concerned that he will do quite well for them and that it will prove to be an inspired signing. Otherwise, I don't really care that he used to play for us as he sullied my opinion of him when he moved to Real.

That is how I felt about it until I read comments from him saying that he has secretly always wanted to play for United. Now, I don't know whether there is any truth in it or he is trying to win over the United fans but I just cannot believe that an ex Liverpool player could say such a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭percy007

And when we paid his wages he went out and crushed for us consistently. He gave us 8 seasons. And when he left, it was to the biggest club in the world. How can people have a problem with that?

Because he promised he would sign a new contract for Liverpool on the Saturday and the following week he was a Madrid player leaving Rafa no time to find a replacement ( the window was closing) for someone who at the time was one of the most feared strikers in Europe. Thats why i have a problem with it he didnt give a toss about Liverpool. Signing for United just proves what LFC meant to him......... Naff all, Tevez was at United for 2 seasons and even he said he wouldnt sign for LFC out of respect to the United fans. Owen can rot in hell as far as im concerned.

percy007 wrote: »
    Tevez was at United for 2 seasons and even he said he wouldnt sign for LFC out of respect to the United fans. Owen can rot in hell as far as im concerned.

Dear God

Tevez is about to sign for City. :rolleyes:

Dear God

Do you see City as big a rivals/threat as LFC? Dear God :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Although i agree with most of what Lloyd said, i don't care about the rights and wrongs, the do and don'ts, the choices and non choices etc.

All i know or care about is that Michael Owen has signed for Man Utd, big fecking smile on his face as he lifts the scarf above his head....the sh!thead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Dear God stop with the rolleyes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Dear God

Tbh I can see why Tevez realises Liverpool as the main rival to man utd, i mean moving to city isn't going to cause too much fuss for utd, it's hardly champions league knocking out ground, or beating them to the league.

meanwhile liverpool are the main rival when it comes to either of us winning stuff. we are the shizz, after all.
    Dear God stop with the rolleyes!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Tevez was at United for 2 seasons and even he said he wouldnt sign for LFC out of respect to the United fans. Owen can rot in hell as far as im concerned.

Tevez said that after he had had a meeting with Liverpool.

So either two things happened.
    Liverpool told him, you know what, no thanks.
    Or he got offered more money elsewhere.
    Hmmmmm, I wonder.

Tevez chose to not go to Liverpool because he was offered a fraction of what Citeh offered him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Just to repeat a point LL made the last page about Liverpool/Everton, there are Man Utd fans who have City as their most hated rival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

I can imagine it now.

United are playing Liverpool in the secong leg at Anfield.It was 0-0 in the first leg but liverpool scored an early goal in the second leg.Its into injury time Liverpool are still 1-0 up ,United are battering the KOP end when out of the blue in the 93rd minute Michael Owen snatches the goal that wins the tie for United.Michael Owen runs to the Liverpool fans at the corner flag graps the Man United crest and kisses the badge.

Its the stuff dreams are made of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

CITY ARE THE BIGGER RIVALS. PEOPLE WHO LIVE AND WORK IN MANCHESTER, WHERE THE PLAYERS LIVE AND WORK, ARE MORE CONCERNED WITH THEIR INTER - CITY RIVALS. THEY ARE NOT LOOKING AT THIS FROM ACROSS THE IRISH SEA.

TIIIIIIIIIIIILT. :(

• Advertisement

I can imagine it now.

United are playing Liverpool in the secong leg at Anfield.It was 0-0 in the first leg but liverpool scored an early goal in the second leg.Its into injury time Liverpool are still 1-0 up ,United are battering the KOP end when out of the blue in the 93rd minute Michael Owen snatches the goal that wins the tie for United.Michael Owen runs to the Liverpool fans at the corner flag graps the Man United crest and kisses the badge.

Not my fcuking dreams !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Can't believe some of the stick owen is getting.
    The lad was incredible when at Liverpool and carried the club for a couple of seasons winning games on his own . Just because he isn't " Liverpool for life" people abuse him yet if torres left now he would be guranteed cult status for life , yet he hasn't been as successful as owen(Im sure he will surpass owen).
    The problem with owen was he was always " englands michael owen" and not " liverpool michael owen" unlike fowler.
    But I for one will never forget the goals he scored the defenses he terrorized .
    He cost us nothing scored a bag load of goals and made us 12 or so million.
    Unfortunatly I can't wish him success but best of luck to the lad

agree 100% with this

he single handedly won us the FA cup in 2001. some people may mock that as an achievement but to me at the time it was a pretty big deal as i'm not old enough to remember any of our league victories. His goals that day will stay with me forever.

All that said, i think i'm going to vomit seeing him score in a Utd shirt.
    Regardless, he's been one of the best players we've had in my lifetime along with Gerrard, Carra, Hyypia, McManaman ,Torres and others.
    Funny isn't it how Owen and McManaman are the only two who get any stick because they had the cheek to leave Liverpool (the club who all liverpool fans think are the world's biggest) for Madrid (who are actually the worlds biggest club). The football world might begin and end with liverpool for me and many others, but i fully understood both of them leaving when they did. They gave us everything when they were here, cost us nothing and we can ask nothing more as far as i'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

agree 100% with this

he single handedly won us the FA cup in 2001. some people may mock that as an achievement but to me at the time it was a pretty big deal as i'm not old enough to remember any of our league victories. His goals that day will stay with me forever.

All that said, i think i'm going to vomit seeing him score in a Utd shirt.
    Regardless, he's been one of the best players we've had in my lifetime along with Gerrard, Carra, Hyypia, McManaman ,Torres and others.
    Funny isn't it how Owen and McManaman are the only two who get any stick because they had the cheek to leave Liverpool (the club who all liverpool fans think are the world's biggest) for Madrid (who are actually the worlds biggest club). The football world might begin and end with liverpool for me and many others, but i fully understood both of them leaving when they did. They gave us everything when they were here, cost us nothing and we can ask nothing more as far as i'm concerned.

thats fine but you cannot blame liverpool fans for holding fowler and others who stayed in higher esteem. and to be honest this latest move from owen is such a mercenary move it just goes to show the huge pull that a team like man utd have. luckily for us madrid have a bigger pull at the minute.

i wonder what liverpool would think if owen had come out in a pleading fashion saying that this was his last chance to win trophies or to get to the world cup with ingerland and that his passion for playing for his country was so great that he had to accept this opportunity???

but instead he said that he secretly always wanted to play for utd. it makes me think we should have a questionnaire given to all players now asking them if they secretly want to play for utd..if the answer is yes then turf them out!!! :p

mormank wrote: »
    thats fine but you cannot blame liverpool fans for holding fowler and others who stayed in higher esteem.

Fowler was sold to Leeds for 11 million because he went off the rails.
    and to be honest this latest move from owen is such a mercenary move it just goes to show the huge pull that a team like man utd have.

Everton and probably Hull offered him more money
    luckily for us madrid have a bigger pull at the minute.

I don't think that is lucky for anyone.
    i wonder what liverpool would think if owen had come out in a pleading fashion saying that this was his last chance to win trophies or to get to the world cup with ingerland and that his passion for playing for his country was so great that he had to accept this opportunity???

I suppose we will never know, what we do know is he went to the best team in the country so it can't harm his chances of a England callup.

but instead he said that he secretly always wanted to play for utd. it makes me think we should have a questionnaire given to all players now asking them if they secretly want to play for utd..if the answer is yes then turf them out!!! :p

Carra amongst others was an Everton fan, you would lose out on some number of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

agree 100% with this
    They gave us everything when they were here, cost us nothing and we can ask nothing more as far as i'm concerned.

We could also ask them not to join one of our main rivals :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I can imagine it now.

You sick b*stard!!

CITY ARE THE BIGGER RIVALS. PEOPLE WHO LIVE AND WORK IN MANCHESTER, WHERE THE PLAYERS LIVE AND WORK, ARE MORE CONCERNED WITH THEIR INTER - CITY RIVALS. THEY ARE NOT LOOKING AT THIS FROM ACROSS THE IRISH SEA.

TIIIIIIIIIIIILT. :(

LL i meant this as in rivals in winning the Premiership and Champs League.

You said you couldnt see how people had a problem with Owen and I gave you the reasons why. Im not looking for an argument here. :)

Tevez said that after he had had a meeting with Liverpool.

So either two things happened.
    Liverpool told him, you know what, no thanks.
    Or he got offered more money elsewhere.
    Hmmmmm, I wonder.

Tevez chose to not go to Liverpool because he was offered a fraction of what Citeh offered him.

Yes you are probably right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

United fans December 2008"that michael owen really is past it isnt he"

United fans summer 2009"cant believe we signed michael owen former liverpool great on a free to stick it to rafa"

Liverpool fans summer 2009"Cant believe United have got Owen,replacing tevez and ronaldo with owen and valencia,this is great news.Wonder do they want Cisse next.What happened to Ribery and Benzema.Roll on August"

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Sheva and Dossena yes, I said it when they signed to a few friends who watch Serie A and they all agreed but Veron no, I though he would be a great signing but as I said Utd didn't use him to his

Aye, they should have used him as a defensive midfielder, thats his position you know.

:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement