Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

raven136 wrote: »
    United fans December 2008"that michael owen really is past it isnt he"

United fans summer 2009"cant believe we signed michael owen former liverpool great on a free to stick it to rafa"

Liverpool fans summer 2009"Cant believe United have got Owen,replacing tevez and ronaldo with owen and valencia,this is great news.Wonder do they want Cisse next.What happened to Ribery and Benzema.Roll on August"
    That's football fans for you, especially ones from rival clubs. I could say a Man Utd or Everton player is crap or well past it, but if they sign for liverpool your obviously going to look at them from a very very different light and point of judgement.

Wouldn't expect anything less to be honest, especially with Michael Owen. I hate to see what happens if he ends up being a success there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    And when we paid his wages he went out and crushed for us consistently. He gave us 8 seasons. And when he left, it was to the biggest club in the world. How can people have a problem with that?

These two posts don't help you mate. To Liverpool fans who live and work in Liverpool, to the players - Everton is the biggest rival and would be the biggest betrayal.

There was a certain manner in the way Owen left that ive a problem with.I couldnt begrudge him a move to Madrid. However I have a serious problem with him moving to United.

And hey you find somewhere in my post that I said I live or work in Liverpool? To me Manchester United are our biggest rivals. Its not my fault I didnt grow up in Liverpool. I have a few friends from Liverpool and they've always described the rivalry with Everton as closer to home as some familys can have both teams supported. But THEY said that there is a far greater hatred for United. Read that as you will.

Look all im saying is Im disgusted with Owen. Disgusted. All I can say is you listen to Anfield the day he runs out onto the pitch wearing a United Jersey.

As someone said the likes of Carra,Gerrard and Fowler bleed Liverpool. Michael Owen bleeds Michael Owen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

he single handedly won us the FA cup in 2001. .

I remember Henchoz having at least one hand in that.

Anyway, the 2001 FA cup wont be much of a concellation if Owen helps Utd win the league .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Boggles wrote: »
    Fowler was sold to Leeds for 11 million because he went off the rails.

The season before Fowler left for Leeds he "went of the rails" by scoring 17 goals, and lifting 3 trophies.
    He won another two before leaving to go to Leeds.

Houllier foced Fowler out.
    Fowler didn't know what to do.
    Fowler left.
    I cried!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I thought it was thompson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The season before Fowler left for Leeds he "went of the rails" by scoring 17 goals, and lifting 3 trophies.

Fowler left.

Houllier had no idea what to do when he had both Owen and Fowler there at the same time so one had to go. Fowler did not fit his plans so he was the one to go, imho of course.

People can argue the toss as to whether Fowler was past it/messed up/still great or whatever at the time, but personally I think he still had a lot to offer at that time and that once away from Liverpool he never trained right or had the same love for the game.

The other side of it I suppose is that how could anyone at the time justify not playing Owen either. Both were natural finishers, despite what Glenn Hoddle said in relation to Owen on that (I still get a laugh when I think of that), and I do think with a bit of give and take, that they could have worked well together as a strike team. Owen just suited Houllier's system better though, or rather he built that system around Owen's pace and finishing and did not have a place for Fowler there.

Like you, I was gutted to see Fowler go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Fowler left.

fOWLER twice left liverpool both times in tears.He is a proper pool legend,no disrespect to owen but he was and never will be thought of in the same way as fowler.Cant ever have imagined owen doin the 5 fingered salute

Most pool fans didnt begrudge Owen his move,we were loyal to him through injuries and he told everyone he would sign a deal on the saturday and then left Rafa little or no time to get a replacement in.Madrid were a bigger club it was just the manner and tbh i think it ended there for most liverpool fans and owen.8m was pittance.

Cant wait for the reception at Anfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

raven136 wrote: »
    fOWLER twice left liverpool both times in tears.He is a proper pool legend,no disrespect to owen but he was and never will be thought of in the same way as fowler.Cant ever have imagined owen doin the 5 fingered salute

Most pool fans didnt begrudge Owen his move,we were loyal to him through injuries and he told everyone he would sign a deal on the saturday and then left Rafa little or no time to get a replacement in.Madrid were a bigger club it was just the manner and tbh i think it ended there for most liverpool fans and owen.8m was pittance.

Cant wait for the reception at Anfield

To be honest I hope he does not get panned when he returns to Anfield, as I have said before, the way he left Liverpool left a bad taste in my mouth, but now that he has joined Man Utd it does not cause any major reaction in me, all I see is a Newcastle player or rather an ex Newcastle player.

His goals for LFC will not be forgotten, but I think because of how he left he will only be remembered as simply a good goalscorer rather than a loved ex player.

If I am there when/if he runs out at Anfield, I will not boo him. I won't be clapping him either, I think I will just continue to see him as "just another player" and treat him with a sense of apathy (unless he scores against us, then I will switch to the feeling of disgust I get when we concede).

It takes a really repulsive player to warrant a negative vocal action from me, and as such it is reserved for the likes of Diouf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Fowler was sold to Leeds for 11 million because he went off the rails.

you're either ignorant or just trying to get a rise out of Liverpool fans here. Please tell me how he went off the rails? He scored goals for us throughout his career, he was seriously mishandled by Houllier and Thompson.

Again, how did he go off the rails?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

you're either ignorant or just trying to get a rise out of Liverpool fans here.

Training ground bust up with the assistant manager is hardly on the rails.
    he was seriously mishandled by Houllier and Thompson.

How was he mishandled, Houlier backed him through his suspensions, didn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I can imagine it now.

United are playing Liverpool in the secong leg at Anfield.It was 0-0 in the first leg but liverpool scored an early goal in the second leg.Its into injury time Liverpool are still 1-0 up ,United are battering the KOP end when out of the blue in the 93rd minute Michael Owen snatches the goal that wins the tie for United.Michael Owen runs to the Liverpool fans at the corner flag graps the Man United crest and kisses the badge.

Its the stuff dreams are made of

Cause its every united players wet dream to score against Liverpool.

Very flattering.

How was he mishandled, Houlier backed him through his suspensions, didn't he?

He hit Thompson on the back of the head with a ball, Thompson went mental as he always did at Fowler.

Houllier dropped him after he scored a hat-trick and constantly dropped him when he played well. Sort of like what Rafa did to Keane but in Fowler's case it was completely unwarranted.
    It's not like Fowler's suspension was for month's on end like Ferdinand's is it? A few games, the managers hardly gonna tear up his contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Dont think he actually hit Thompson, as far as i can recall from his book, he hammered the ball into the goal while Thommo was right behind that spot so the net balooned out near him, didnt hit him though. Thommo freaked out over it saying he did it on purpose (which he probably did, but its not exactly a bit deal). Shortly after, Fowler was asked to meet Thommo and Houllier out on the training pitch to clear the air, he went out there and the lads gave him a very public bollocking with an unusually large amount of photographers around (tipped off) to get it on camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

joe123 wrote: »
    Look all im saying is Im disgusted with Owen. Disgusted. All I can say is you listen to Anfield the day he runs out onto the pitch wearing a United Jersey.

As someone said the likes of Carra,Gerrard and Fowler bleed Liverpool. Michael Owen bleeds Michael Owen.

As a Liverpool fan I completely disagree.

Michael Owen wasn't wanted by LFC either now or in 2005 when he came back from Spain.

You can't not want him and be disgusted when he joins another club - any other club in fact.

As a Liverpool fan I completely disagree.

Michael Owen wasn't wanted by LFC either now or in 2005 when he came back from Spain.

erm, yes he was, picked the money of Newcastle over pool though. Didn't even try playing hardball with Real by saying "theres only one club i wanna go to, thats liverpool" so they might have accepted liverpools lower offer (a la Baros headin to Villa when Lyon bid a few million more), instead he went straight for the $'s.

His decision, fair enough, wanted the money over the chance of success, probably regrets it now given he's made the opposite decision this time in similar circumstances.

• Advertisement

There was no way Rafa was going to sign a player he didnt want to let go a year earlier for more than twice what he was sold for. I cant see any club that would do that.

Newcastle offered more money to both him and Real.

I'm 100% certain if Owen was offered 50K a week by United and 30K a week by Liverpool he would have joined us. We didn't want him so he was right to join the best club he could

Stekelly wrote: »
    There was no way Rafa was going to sign a player he didnt want to let go a year earlier for more than twice what he was sold for. I cant see any club that would do that.

Newcastle offered more money to both him and Real.

it's debatable that Rafa didn't want to let him go. He wanted the money i think, to start building the team he wanted - we wouldn't have Alonso now if Owen had stayed i'd imagine.
    We also had Baros (just finished top scorer in EC) and Cisse (very highly rated) who he probably thought would do better than they did

it's debatable that Rafa didn't want to let him go. He wanted the money i think, to start building the team he wanted - we wouldn't have Alonso now if Owen had stayed i'd imagine.
    We also had Baros (just finished top scorer in EC) and Cisse (very highly rated) who he probably thought would do better than they did

Ciise wasnt Rafa's signing and he didnt want him.

Baros was, well, Baros. If only Liverpool played every match in the european championships....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'm 100% certain if Owen was offered 50K a week by United and 30K a week by Liverpool he would have joined us. We didn't want him so he was right to join the best club he could

?

lolz

You make it sound like he got the runners up prize.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Kess73 wrote: »
    The other side of it I suppose is that how could anyone at the time justify not playing Owen either. Both were natural finishers, despite what Glenn Hoddle said in relation to Owen on that (I still get a laugh when I think of that)...

Although we should probably not set too much store by the words of Glenn Hoddle, and neither by those of Owen if today's quotes about always having wanted to play for Utd are true, there seems little doubt that the former was deliberately and persistently misrepresented over his comments regarding the latter. Hoddle was subsequently hounded out of the England job by a faction in the press who just didn't like the cut of his jib and not for footballing reasons. C'est la vie.

Anyway, I found this article with quotes from Owen about what Hoddle was alleged to have said all those years ago.

I don't begrudge Owen his move to Utd at all. I was listening to a repeat of an interview with Ian Rush on Newstalk a couple of weeks ago in which he said that one of the main reasons he went to Juventus was because of the money they were offering him.

And aside from money, it's really not all that surprising that Owen would want to give himself the best possible chance of making one last tilt at the England set-up - forging a partnership with Rooney at Utd is not bad start for him, although I hope he doesn't do too well:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Stekelly wrote: »
    Ciise wasnt Rafa's signing and he didnt want him.

Baros was, well, Baros. If only Liverpool played every match in the european championships....

Rafa may not have signed cisse but he did mention when cisse was at the club that he did look at him while he was manager of valencia. Its a bit harsh to suggest he never wanted him, he may not have signed him but i dont think he was wholely disatisfied that cisse was at the club. Rafa knew cisse would be at the club before he signed, just making a point.

?

lolz

You make it sound like he got the runners up prize.

Not at all. United are the league champions after all. I just think he'd definitely rather be going back to liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

can hardly blame the lad for going,started talks with hull and the likes then utd come calling.its a dream ticket for owen who was never held in the highest regard at liverpool even through the good years (probably because fowler would always be the fans favourite).
    am slightly annoyed rafa didnt take a chance on him as he cost nothing and hes english but all he would be is back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Jaysus, seriously, can we put the Owen talk to bed?? He joined United, fair play and so what. If I was offered a deal at United, I'd effing go too.

In fact, ANY professional player, currently looking for a club, and a top 4 team comes a callin', would be mad not to sign.

And erm, Baros? Fowler?? Did this thread fall through some sort of time machine?

If Owen scored against us, good for him. Thats what he'll be getting paid for after all.

Kicking a boot off your star players head is just character though.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

Kicking a boot off your star players head is just character though.;)

character building some might say..but we should really put owen in some kind of protective armour when he's in the dressing room, if he got a boot into the head there is the strong possibility he could shatter into hundreds of pieces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Todays tabloid title-tatle says Masch to be offered massive pay rise and that Perez is getting cold feet about spending 50 million euro (or whatever it is) on Alonso, both these in News of the Screws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Barcelona are closing in on the signing of Liverpool's Argentine midfielder Javier Mascherano.
    Full story: News of the World

Mascherano's departure looks imminent after he fell out with Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez towards the end of last season.
    Full story: Mail on Sunday

Liverpool will have to battle it out with Real Madrid for Valencia midfielder David Silva.
    Full story: News of the World

Looks like the NotW is running with both Masch staying and leaving stories then...

The Mail On Sunday story is literaly made up.
    I mean, I know these storys are usually laughable, but I literally did laugh when I read it this morning.
    Liverpool's title plans have been thrown into disarray by a stand off between Javier Mascherano and manager Rafa Benitez.
    The pair fell out at the end of last season after Benitez rotated the team, leaving Mascherano out of some crucial matches.

The only matches that Masch didn't play in 2009 were Fulham, and Everton.
    He started 21 games, and came off the bench against Everton in the FA Cup.

So while Everton is always an important game, Fulham!:confused:
    Lets look at the "crucial matches" Masch did play in.
    In the league Masch started against Chelsea, Utd, Villa, and Arsenal.
    In the Champions League he started against Real, Real, Chelsea, and Chelsea again.
    In the FA Cup, he started against Everton, then came off the bench against Everton.

So basically, he played in every "crucial match" in the second half of the season.
    And in facht played in all but two games, in all competitions, in the second half of the season.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Fulham was important as they'd beaten, nay thrashed Utd the week before. That said Fail on Sunday is still crap.

mike65 wrote: »
    Fulham was important as they'd beaten, nay thrashed Utd the week before. That said Fail on Sunday is still crap.

Mascherano wasn't rotated against Fulham.
    He'd just captained Argentina, at high altitude, against Bolivia 3 days earlier.
    He only arrived back in Liverpool, the day of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

jesus i would absolutely love it if alonso and masch signed new contracts by the end of the week.... and arbeloa too actually.. then we can actually look at signing players ourselves! This summer has been ridiculous so far

If I was offered a deal at United, I'd effing go too.

I wouldnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lads, ignore Sunday tabloids. Seriously.

I agree. Along with anything Goal.com puts up.

I wouldnt.

I decided that if I needed to join Man Utd or Everton at a young age to kickstart a career in football I definatly would, because another chance might never come around. I'd be off the liverpool once i've proved myself in a multi million pound deal. :pac:

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I decided that if I needed to join Man Utd or Everton at a young age to kickstart a career in football I definatly would, because another chance might never come around. I'd be off the liverpool once i've proved myself in a multi million pound deal. :pac:

Lol well of course if you were trying to make it with a club youd choose any club. Although id pick Everton over Man United in this case. But its entirely different when your already a well established footballer.

it's awful easy for us to sit in front of our computer screens and say we'd never play for United.

• Advertisement

Lol well of course if you were trying to make it with a club youd choose any club. Although id pick Everton over Man United in this case. But its entirely different when your already a well established footballer.
    Yeah, 28/29 and spent most of your career at one club, then join their rivals just doesn't happen. If you start at a young age, the rival fans have nothing to think about. Carra is a prime example of this, he joined Liverpool because his dad felt it's the best club to get him where he is today, and he was dead right. I'd join any premier league club tbh if it was route to playing the sport I love for a living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I think everything that's posted by the tabloids is taken with a pinch of salt but if no one posted the dross, what would we talk about?

We'd have to come up with our own articles! **shudder**

We'd have to come up with our own articles! **shudder**
    Liverpool have completed the signing of French midfielder Franck Ribery on a six-year-deal, in a move rumoured to be in the region of £40million. The ex-Bayern Munich player said he was delighted at making the switch...

Meh, it's not the same.

Especially the News of the World which of course is the s*ns sunday paper and no decent pool fan should ever purchase this rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5415726,00.html

Not sure why he's talking to this rag but Pepe is still a legend.

"Apparently, they moved for the money. That is their decision but I also think it is their problem if they cannot see that Liverpool is a bigger club," Reina is quoted as saying in the News of the World.

Despite it being mentioned in the NOTW, he's a legend for saying that.

• Advertisement

He never spoke to them.
    It simply says that he is quoted in it.
    Not that he was intrviewed by them.

Pepe knows what's what.;)

He never spoke to them.
    It simply says that he is quoted in it.
    Not that he was intrviewed by them.

Pepe knows what's what.;)

it even says it in the article;
    Reina told EFE.
    Reina is quoted as saying in the News of the World.

He told efe in Spanish, NOTW then translate it and run it as their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    it even says it in the article;

He told efe in Spanish, NOTW then translate it and run it as their own.

All getting away from the point that Pepe is a legend... :o

Holy crap!

2q9gye8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

**** you Mike!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement