Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If he really wanted to go wouldn't he have put in a transfer request or is that too obvious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

kida wrote: »
    How much is nominal? 50K?

what would guys of this level be earning?

From what I can figure it varies a lot from player to player.I think an awful lot depends on the age the player arrives and whether they have signed a professional contract, a training contract or are just a club player.

I do remember an article from a few months back around the time of the youth club final against Arsenal which showed Liverpool have spent far far less on youth players that Arsenal - I think Arsenal's spend was about 3 times Liverpool. I vaguely remember Chelsea had spent a good bit more than Arsenal- which came as a bit of a shock.considering the state of Chelsea's youths. Also some of the wages the Chelsea players were on were well tasty. I think Utd's spend was lower than Arsenal's.

Reason this response is so slow is I was trying to track down the article.
    Was an interesing read. Gah!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Valdano's comments very interesting.
    Delighted that they are finding negotiations difficult.
    My opinion is that Rafa doesn't want to lose Xabi.
    Also interesting to note that he said that with the arrival of Benzema, Real won't be signing Villa - is this the first time this has been confirmed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

mike65 wrote: »
    If he really wanted to go wouldn't he have put in a transfer request or is that too obvious?

Nobody puts in transfer requests anymore (unless agreement on other end made); miss out on all those loyality bonuses:eek: and other contract tie-ins

better to get your agent to stir the sh*t instead

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Also interesting to note that he said that with the arrival of Benzema, Real won't be signing Villa - is this the first time this has been confirmed?

I think so...do we start hoping again now?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Xabi has said numerous times up to and incl the last couple of weeks that he doesn't wanna leave, Rafa clearly doesn't wanna sell unless its for an insane price, so he ain't going anywhere imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Kess73 wrote: »

* For Limerick folk I am talking about the Lobster Pot on Ranelagh Street, not the one on Henry Street in Limerick :)

The Lobser Pot being gone still ruins the end of a lot of my Saturday nights.:(

New York Pizza my ass!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Important to keep in mind that the sale would need to be after the 18th of July so Sociedad don't get their 20% sell on fee.

Anything up to that point i think is just posturing, and i would imagine any talks going on at present are with a view to a bid being made after that point.

This ones gonna drag on yet folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Xabi has said numerous times up to and incl the last couple of weeks that he doesn't wanna leave, Rafa clearly doesn't wanna sell unless its for an insane price, so he ain't going anywhere imo.

Someone keeping a close eye on him

http://xabi-alonso-news.newslib.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Boggles wrote: »
    Someone keeping a close eye on him

http://xabi-alonso-news.newslib.com/

Fair play mr alan u created a good site

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

From that almost certainly fake tweet site today.
    For the numerous people asking...The valencia deal HAS been agreed in principal. will go through as soon as Alonso deal has been finalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

5starpool wrote: »
    From that almost certainly fake tweet site today.

lol

Thats all I have to say about that!

The latest tidbit from our livertweet buddies;
    @mali1 In early June Liverpool rebuffed a £9.5m offer for A.Riera from a top 6 LaLiga side. Rafa also rates Voronin at £5m. Assets = Ap £55m

Its like Bannor is back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The latest tidbit from our livertweet buddies;

Its like Bannor is back!

If we pull in five million for Voronin, then Rafa really is a genius!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

Attributing dropped points at home to any single player is extremely harsh and unfair. Dirk played tremendously well for club and country last season and still get singled out for criticism. He is constantly singled out as being the weak link and for being a poor signing for 12m pounds.

Only cost £9m, not £12m according to this.
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0500playerprofiles/tm_headline=18-dirk-kuyt&method=full&objectid=17598728&siteid=50061-name_page.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

monkey9 wrote: »
    If we pull in five million for Voronin, then Rafa really is a genius!!!!

This is something I'll never understand.

Player bought on a free, paid wages over 2 years (which was without a doubt what he was ok 50k a week, 40k with a big signing bonus].

So its broken even. With no additiona to the squad.

Rafa has done well to make his money back, but ultimately, it was a nothing transfer, may as well have never happened.

PHB wrote: »
    This is something I'll never understand.

Player bought on a free, paid wages over 2 years (which was without a doubt what he was ok 50k a week, 40k with a big signing bonus].

So its broken even. With no additiona to the squad.

Rafa has done well to make his money back, but ultimately, it was a nothing transfer, may as well have never happened.

except of course that if it hadn't happened, at various times when we were down to the bear bones, there wouldn't have been a stand in.

He's come and done exactly what the plan was, be a bit part player, fill in when necessary, and leave, ideally without ever costing the club anything. Cant scoff at having a guy for free for a year to make up the numbers, particularly when he's not half bad, not a world beater but pretty good for a 4th choice.
    (incidentally he was only paid 1 years wages, the second year was paid for by Berlin)

i'd imagine Liverpool were paying very little, if any, of Voronins wages last year tbh. I'd also be flabagasted if he was on 50k a week at Liverpool.

a player was needed to play in the couple of positions he played in the season before, so if he was to be sold, making a couple of million including wages paid out...having played a part in our season the year before, it'd be good business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

To be honest, Voronin paid for himself by scoring the goal in the qualifying round of the champions league the season he joined up. Ok we may have won the home leg by a large margin, but he got the goal for the 1-0 away leg, which left the reds in a comfortable position for the second leg!
    £5m is a decent price for a striker who scored 11 goals in 20 or so games.

Liverpool linked with Esteban Cambiasso if Alonso should go.

• Advertisement

Liverpool linked with Esteban Cambiasso if Alonso should go.

He only signed a new 5 year contract in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Sky Sports transfer ticker reporting via Marca that Madrid have admitted defeat in Alonso bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ablett to be named Stockport boss

Stockport County are set to name former Liverpool defender Gary Ablett as their new manager, BBC Sport understands.

Ablett was reserve team manager at Liverpool, but parted company with the Premier League club in May as part of a reshuffle by boss Rafa Benitez.

Former Celtic and Northern Ireland midfielder Neil Lennon was also a leading candidate for the role.

Stockport are in the process of being taken over by former Manchester City player Jim Melrose.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/stockport/8140162.stm

Surprised he found a new position so quickly tbh.

Tony Barrett gotten a job at The Times. Brilliant stuff.

Bascombe must be sick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

He only signed a new 5 year contract in March.

Glen johnson signed a 4 and a half year contract in january........(just making a point on the solidity of contracts in football)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Is it the calm before the storm?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/real-back-down-on-alonso-transfer-1736032.html
    Real back down on Alonso transfer

Valdano admits shopping spree means they cannot afford Liverpool midfielder

By Pete Jenson in Madrid

Wednesday, 8 July 2009

Rafa Benitez, the Liverpool manager, looks to have won his battle to keep Xabi Alonso after Real Madrid's sporting director Jorge Valdano suggested the club were being priced out of signing the Spain international midfielder.

With Madrid still gripped by Ronaldomania and sales of the player's No 9 shirt set to break all records, Valdano gave the strongest indication yet that Real will not be prepared to meet Liverpool's valuation for Alonso. He said: "Alonso is our priority, if he fits with our budget, and this does not seem to be the case. We are very far away from Liverpool's figures.

"Liverpool have adopted a position that is making it very difficult for us and right now we can see ourselves distancing ourselves from the player.

"There are people who are a little bit mistaken when they speak with Real Madrid. When we ask after a player they think it's a great economic opportunity and they go beyond what is reasonable. We are looking at alternatives to Xabi – players who have a lot in common with him."

Real are understood to have reached an agreement with Franck Ribéry that they will sign him next summer. Using a tactic that worked last year with Cristiano Ronaldo, it seems the Bayern Munich midfielder is being lined up as a 2010 galactico.

Valdano said: "After the three massive players we have signed we can afford to wait. Ribéry is right to commit himself to the club where he has a contract, but let us see how his career develops. Everyone knows that Real Madrid are interested in him. But life is long and if it does not happen this season it can happen next season."

The suggestion that the astronomical spending may now have to stop will do little to dampen the euphoria of Real fans who yesterday cleaned the club out of Ronaldo replica shirts. Almost 3,000 were sold in the first two hours of business and stocks had run dry by closing time last night. But not everyone paid the €85 (£69) price, with around 300 stolen within hours of them going on sale at the stadium shop.

The demand for Ronaldo shirts has so far out-stripped those for fellow new signing Kaka, who sold around 600 on the first day. David Beckham famously sold a million shirts in his first six months at the club but Ronaldo looks set to top that if the differences in the two players' presentations are any indication. Beckham filled the club's 5,000 capacity basketball arena back in 2003 when he was presented to supporters. Ronaldo managed to fill the 80,000-seat Bernabeu stadium.

The Real Madrid president, Florentino Perez, was hailed almost as enthusiastically as Ronaldo by supporters but he may yet face a fan backlash for failing to land any top Spanish talent this summer. Alonso was most supporters' choice to be Real's next big signing because he is one of the heroes from last year's European Championship triumph.

Only two of the team that conquered Europe play for Real and, after missing out on David Villa, fans are desperate for Alonso to sign. But Valdano admitted: "It is proving much more difficult to sign the top Spanish players than the top international stars."

Despite the club distancing themselves from any more big-money acquisitions, additional signings have not been ruled out. Valdano said: "If we signed two or a maximum of three more then we would be covered."

He also admitted his delight at having beaten Manchester United to the signing of Lyons striker Karim Benzema. Valdano said: "We are glad to have got him. He is just 21 years old and he has a great future. He is powerful, two-footed and he has all the desire that a young player should have."

It now seems that the only way Alonso will leave Liverpool is if Real can include players in the deal to bring the price down, but Valdano admitted the club were struggling to off-load surplus squad members because of their reluctance to leave.

He added: "Despite the fact that the market is slightly depressed we have had a lot of offers for our players but in a lot of cases it is difficult to persuade players that they should leave."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

ya great news about alonso... Ronnie Whelan can read that report now and shut the fcuk up about rafa trying his best to get rid of alonso..

As i already said before i don't think he'll go and if he does rafa will have a few ideas..

I'm delighted that rafa is challenging the yougsters like nemeth and pacheco... He's signed a decent amount of youngsters this year which is great to see too... I think we're going to see a lot more progress there now that he has full control and his own staff...

It's exciting times... now all we need is a masch to sign a new deal

daithijjj wrote: »
    Glen johnson signed a 4 and a half year contract in january........(just making a point on the solidity of contracts in football)

And that's why we paid £17 mill as apposed to the £8 mill that was being mentioned in January.

Cambriasso with 5 years left on his contract, costs 4 times as much as Cambriasso with 1 year left.;)

GLEN JOHNSON: THE FIRST LIVERPOOL PICTURES

New Liverpool signing Glen Johnson met up with his Anfield teammates for the first time on Wednesday - and we were there to snap some exclusive pictures at Melwood.
    The England defender will be officially paraded as a Liverpool player on Thursday, when he will give his first interviews since swapping Fratton Park for Anfield last month.

But before his unveiling as Rafael Benitez's first summer signing, our new right back was getting used to his new surroundings at the club's training complex.

johnson6.jpg

johnson9.jpg

johnson3.jpg

johnson5.jpg

johnson1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

johnson6.jpg

johnson9.jpg

johnson3.jpg

johnson5.jpg

johnson1.jpg

Every year Rafa looks more and more like my da...

I'm not one bit dissapointed we bought him. Think he is gonna be quality for us.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Every year Rafa looks more and more like my da...

In your da we trust.

;)

Valencia gain financial fillip
    Soriano reassures fans that stars will not leave

Last updated: 7th July 2009

Former Valencia president Vicente Soriano has stated that the club are under no pressure to sell their stars after receiving a €500million (�432m) boost.

The Primera Division side have struggled financially of late and further players were expected to leave this summer after Raul Albiol was sold to Real Madrid.

Attackers David Villa and David Silva have both been linked with big-money moves away from Los Che, but Soriano has eased fears of an exodus.

Soriano has regained control at Valencia and revealed on Monday evening that an investment group, Inversiones Dalport SA, is willing to pay €500m for the site of the club's old Mestalla stadium.

"The grand Valencia project was held up by the economic crisis," Soriano said in quotes carried in the Spanish media.

"The club had a serious liquidity problem which paralysed its plan for growth. The very existence of Valencia was under threat but this is no longer the case."

Probably means the end to any Silva deal.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11837_5418895,00.html

that's good to hear about Valencia

always liked the club

and i get to see villa and silva at old trafford in August,brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Real retain Alonso hope

Valdano claims club could still reach agreement with Liverpool

Real Madrid director general Jorge Valdanospacer.gif has revealed that the club have not given up hope of signing Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso.spacer.gif
    Valdano recently stated that the Reds' asking price for the midfielder was too high for the ambitious Primera Division club.

Real have already landed Kaka, Raul Albiolspacer.gif and Cristiano Ronaldo while Lyon's Karim Benzema is to be unveiled as a new addition on Thursday.
    The Spanish giants remain in the hunt for Alonso but are unlikely to match a reported £35million-plus price tag.

Valdano told Radio Marca: "Everyone knows that Alonso is a player that we have always been interested in."

"He is someone that can organise and is in a phase of his career where he has matured."

"There was a rough figure put forward, but in recent days that has gone up and the price is now too high for our tastes and, therefore, we see the player further away now."

"But everything can be turned back around."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5421501,00.html

it could be a long summer unless xabi commits or hands in a request

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

johnson6.jpg

johnson9.jpg

johnson3.jpg

johnson5.jpg

johnson1.jpg
    god rafa looks small!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jul/08/liverpool-fabio-aurelio-rafael-benitez

came across this
    Liverpool are anxiously awaiting the latest news on a knee injury to Fabio Aurelio amid concerns their first-choice left-back could be sidelined until Christmas. Rafael Benítez, the Liverpool manager, is already resigned to starting the new campaign without the Brazilian, who damaged a knee on holiday last month when playing football with his two young children. The 29-year-old was initially expected to be out until September, a time frame that, while disappointing for Benítez, did not alter the manager's plans to sell Andrea Dossena as he seeks to increase this summer's transfer budget.

Dossena's position at Anfield is now under review, however, as Benítez awaits confirmation on whether Aurelio will be absent for three months or, as is now being suggested, six, meaning it will be the new year before the former Valencia defender is in contention for a first-team recall. Liverpool are yet to confirm the extent of Aurelio's injury and the situation has been complicated by it occurring while the defender was in his native Brazil. He was not summoned back for the start of pre-season training this week and may remain abroad to continue his rehabilitation.

Aurelio's injury is a major irritation for Benítez, although he may persist with attempts to sell Dossena thanks to the emergence of Emiliano Insúa. The 20-year-old Argentinian made 13 confident appearances for the first team last season, despite missing a month due to his involvement in the South American Under-20 Championship, and had overtaken Dossena in the Anfield pecking order by the end of the campaign. Dossena has been linked with a move to Juventus following a disappointing debut season at Anfield, but the Turin club have not yet lodged an official bid.

More from our Twitter Insiders;
    A small update on the Valencia deal this morn.. It seems LFC and VCF will sign a "Partnership" deal with Commercial/Brand & trade benefits.
    The only other info we have to add at this time is that the partnership with Valencia was initiated by Rafa,Purslow&Hicks and will involve a large scale "brand awareness" campaign in Spain and the UK. Players will also be loaned regularly with first options for purchases.

http://twitter.com/livertweet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Jesus, sounds like a game of Football Manager gone wrong.

mink_man wrote: »
    god rafa looks small!

The first thing that struck me was how big GJ is.
    Looks a lot more powerfull than I thought.
    Him and Dirk on the right will leave a lot of teams left midfields muscled out of the game.
    Especially in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Him and Dirk on the right will leave a lot of teams left midfields muscled out of the game.
    Especially in Europe.

And Glen can actually cross the ball!

same. he is a ****ing tank. never knew that.

According to the Mail Aurelio twisted his knee in a kickabout and may miss half the season.

Apologies for no link, won't let me at work

rarnes1, that was first mentioned here 3 weeks ago at least.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60889892&postcount=20684

• Advertisement

rarnes1, that was first mentioned here 3 weeks ago at least.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60889892&postcount=20684

And rarnes obviously missed it, so what. He / she's surely entitled to post without someone telling him its already been posted - there was no point to that.

Back to those pictures of GJ - I think the Liverpool jersey will suit him well, can't wait to see how he gets on when the real footy starts, I'm delighted with the acquisition, I was hoping for his signature from the start of the transfer window.

BTW, in the 3rd pic - it looks like Stevie is rollin' a reefer lol

Pipe down sonny! I wasn't having a go. rarnes1 was picking up from the Guardain article posted by Headshot I imagine. I was merely noting that it was old news.

Pipe down sonny! I wasn't having a go. rarnes1 was picking up from the Guardain article posted by Headshot I imagine. I was merely noting that it was old news.

Cool cool, I wasn't having a go either!!

Everones happy then! :D

Well, I will be when Xabi declares his love for Liverpool....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Everones happy then! :D

Eh? Less of that! RABBLE RABBLE RABLLE (tries to start some liverpool in-fighting)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement