Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

352840552_7a9a0a6ec7.jpg1138991251_l.gif

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055311525

I've done you all the service of bumping that thread. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

It's your fault! How does that make you feel, eh?

Super! Thanks for asking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Bit harsh on Rafa to call him that to be fair. These comments of his are unneccessary thats true but i'm sure he has his reasons.

I see what you done there. Genius.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Isn't this about Rafa Benitez though? he's the only one saying anything.

Well go off and start another thread then, or just leave the subject alone like a good little lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I see what you done there. Genius.

Thank you, so what do you think of Rafas comments then? well thought out? accurate and to the point?

jesus_thats_gre, ignore him, please! Or I'll post another annoying gif.

Man ye lot are crazy. I didn't realise the club threads have become such mini police states with no discussion allowed where it upsets the fanboys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Man ye lot are crazy. I didn't realise the club threads have become such mini passionate states where no muppets are allowed to talk shyte at the fans.

FYP ;)

I want to vote for a thumbs down button! (not for your post invincibleirish)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Kess73 wrote: »
    He got a well publicised pay rise which brought his wages to pretty much the same as he was being offered by Chelsea, so he is a poor example.

It has been turned into a wages discussion, one which my opinion differs slightly, or a lot, from the opinion you and some others have, which is fair enough as it does not makes any of us right or wrong, just means we disagree somewhat.

The thrust of my original point is the now what is becoming the regular Rafa media shyte that seems to be a common roadshow each season. Why comment on a player that does not play for the club and allow himself to be drawn on it, especially when it only ends up sounding like sour grapes.

He is long enough in the UK to know what the gutter press are like, and he should know pretty well as to how they like to use the slightest thing he says to make a so called story out of. I know Rafa is not above washing dirty laundery in public himself, but someone in the public eye, and who is used to being in front of the media, does not need to be giving them any extra ammo, and certainly when it is about a player that went elsewhere.

If people want to continue the wage conversation, by all means do so, and I will give my take which will either agree or disagree with the take of others, but I am not going to be like the sheep of some of the other LFC websites that are bleating about how "Rafa is telling it like it is" when I do not think he is correct to do so at the press conference that is for a player that has just joined the club.

It is getting to the point where the media know they will get soundbytes from Rafa that they can muddy the water with, and he keeps feeding them.

I'm fairly sure we both see this very similarly Kess, but in a lot of ways you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If Rafa was asked about Barry, and he refused to answer, the media would say he was being bitter.
    If he just stated the facts, it would have been reported as Rafa refusing to speak on it.
    etc...

Look at the way it has been reported for instance.
    Blown completely out of context.

The media will get their story eitherway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

It was probably posted at the time but i had never seen it :pac:

Pepe going a little mental on a flight with the spanish team.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If Rafa was asked about Barry, and he refused to answer, the media would say he wsa being bitter.

Bollix Karma, all he had to say was the usual spiel of "I don't talk about players at other clubs."

He aimed a bitter little parting shot at Barry pure and simple, it's not the biggest crime in the world to be honest, you don't have to defend Rafa at every little turn Karma, he is a big boy, he can fight his own battles.

opr wrote: »
    It was probably posted at the time but i had never seen it :pac:

Pepe going a little mental on a flight with the spanish team.

Opr

Phew!! I was holding my breath there for a minute, I thought Reina was gonna start doing the macarena with the air hostesses!

Man ye lot are crazy. I didn't realise the club threads have become such mini police states with no discussion allowed where it upsets the fanboys.

I wasn't referring to anything specifically you said. Was more expressing my frustration with someone making another baseless statement and how this thread will likely go for the next 20 or 30 pages due to some of us not knowing any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i have no doubt Rafa was having a pop at Barry and i like the fact that he did.

anyone in any doubt that Shankly would have something to say if he was in Rafas position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

i dont understand why he did it though?
    whats the point, they player chose a different club for whatever reasons, move on, why have a childish dig at him?

probably because it pisses him off someone he thought would have been a good player for Liverpool, chose money over the chance to play at Liverpool.

I wasn't referring to anything specifically you said. Was more expressing my frustration with someone making another baseless statement and how this thread will likely go for the next 20 or 30 pages due to some of us not knowing any better.

Thats fair enough jesus thats gre and my apologies for calling this place a police state after silly posts of gifs and the like, but i was just looking for reactions to Rafas bizarre and rather bitter (imo) comments. I'm not looking to stir but instead wonder was there any point to them?.

Barry is a bit of fool though, he swore blind he wanted to play CL football, he's 29. How many years will he have to wait at City? 2-3 years I guess if it happens at all.

• Advertisement

Maybe it’s just me but in this market, the top level, I don’t think money is the most important thing.
    At this level everyone earns big money. The question is do you make the right decisions and do what is best for your career? If it’s just for money sometimes you will make mistakes and I’ve been surprised by some decisions this summer – like Barry. I won’t say too much but it was clearly 100 per cent for money. The most important thing for me, though, is the passion of the players.

He was pretty much saying this directly to Masch and Alonso IMO.

mike65 wrote: »
    Barry is a bit of fool though, he swore blind he wanted to play CL football, he's 29. How many years will he have to wait at City? 2-3 years I guess if it happens at all.

He is 28.

He didn't want to join Liverpool - Chelsea, Arsenal and United had no interest so he went to the one club in the league that look like they are going to shake things up.

It's not that complicated, I'm sure he could have moved abroad but there is a world cup next summer, so that was not really an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Mr Alan wrote: »
    probably because it pisses him off someone he thought would have been a good player for Liverpool, chose money over the chance to play at Liverpool.

?

hardly any need to mention it in public though.

Thats fair enough jesus thats gre and my apologies for calling this place a police state after silly posts of gifs and the like, but i was just looking for reactions to Rafas bizarre and rather bitter (imo) comments. I'm not looking to stir but instead wonder was there any point to them?.

They are neither bizarre nor bitter. He was asked a question and then gave an answer similar to fans here have done in the past.

The idea that he didn't go because Rafa fcked him about last summer (as someone, perhaps you, perhaps not, stated) is ridiculous. If Rafa did it, then why did he demand greater control over incomings and outgoings at the club during his contract renegotions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I'm fairly sure we both see this very similarly Kess, but in a lot of ways you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If Rafa was asked about Barry, and he refused to answer, the media would say he was being bitter.
    If he just stated the facts, it would have been reported as Rafa refusing to speak on it.
    etc...

Look at the way it has been reported for instance.
    Blown completely out of context.

The media will get their story eitherway.

What's this? A post I cannot really disagree with? :D

Damn you Sir, I demand satisfaction.

I shall meet you on Sarsfield's bridge at dawn, bring your pistol. :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

He was pretty much saying this directly to Masch and Alonso IMO.

Bit silly if he was.

There's a huge difference between Gareth Barry going to Man City, and Alonso or Masch going to Real Madrid or Barcelona.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    What's this? A post I cannot really disagree with? :D

Damn you Sir, I demand satisfaction.

I shall meet you on Sarsfield's bridge at dawn, bring your pistol. :p

You had to go and mention pistols in Limerick!
    Now you've gone and done it!!!:P

event wrote: »
    ?

hardly any need to mention it in public though.

I'm sure he feels like getting something off his chest by saying it in public, where Barry is more than likely gonna be aware of it, and people are gonna know to whom he is refering.

Most fans of any club (incl.Villa & Liverpool) would agree with him too.

Doesn't really have the same calming effect if he just goes home & says it to Montse over the dinner table ;)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I'm sure he feels like getting something off his chest by saying it in public, where Barry is more than likely gonna be aware of it, and people are gonna know to whom he is refering.

You have to question the wisdom of a foreign manager openly critising a England International especially when there was no need for it. As for Barry I doubt he gives a shíté TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

You had to go and mention pistols in Limerick!
    Now you've gone and done it!!!:P

If I am late, just start without me. :D

He was basically asked why Barry didn't join Liverpool and his response was "money, money, money".

There is nothing bizarre about it. You could argue that it is bitter but I don't see it as being particularly so tbh. More flippant than anything else.

People seem to want to get excited by any little thing theses days.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    You have to question the wisdom of a foreign manager openly critising a England International especially when there was no need for it. As for Barry I doubt he gives a shíté TBH.

I presume this remark is in relation to the tabloid hacks getting on his back after something like this? If so, I think Rafa cares as much what journalists write about him as Ferguson, but Rafa has better manners about it.

He is 28.

He didn't want to join Liverpool - Chelsea, Arsenal and United had no interest so he went to the one club in the league that look like they are going to shake things up.

It's not that complicated, I'm sure he could have moved abroad but there is a world cup next summer, so that was not really an option.

Boggles making another baseless statement and presenting it as fact again.

He chose to go to City in the end. Nothing about him arriving at that decision means that he didn't want to join Liverpool.

We can speculate why he made that choice and one person that does actually have an insight into what actually happened, gave his opinion of why Barry choose City over Liverpool.

You have to question the wisdom of a foreign manager openly critising a England International especially when there was no need for it.

Em, no i don't have to question anything?!

don't even know what point you're alluding to tbh! are the FA gonna call over and slap Rafa around?

Rafa felt the need for it, and Barry has taken a lot of stick since his move to City so i'm pretty sure a lot of people disagree with you about there being no need for it.

I'd say it's bothering you more than Barry tbh.

TB in the Echo.

Sorry lads.
    Meanwhile, despite the surge of publicity surrounding an internet betting company, Liverpool are not in the running to sign Bayern Munich star Franck Ribery.

The firm in question had slashed their odds on £60m rated Ribery becoming a Reds player.

But Liverpool’s transfer budget is on a much more modest scale than those clubs who really are in the race for the Frenchman – who does not figure on Benitez’s summer shopping list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

TB in the Echo.

Sorry lads.

Shocked. :rolleyes:

I'm shocked at that Karma, :)

Dammit, guess we'll have to fall back to Messi..........

He was basically asked why Barry didn't join Liverpool and his response was "money, money, money".

Well i would agree with him he is right is about the money, or lack of on Pools part. Liverpool had the money last summer but wouldn't spend on Barry, Man City had the money this summer and did spend on Barry. Its bizarre because Benitez was triumphed by City because of Pools indolence in getting round to signing him and bitter because he paints a picture of Barry as just being a greedy so and so.

He chose to go to City in the end. Nothing about him arriving at that decision means that he didn't want to join Liverpool.

Which leads on this, is is that much of a thought crime around here to suggest like Boggles has Barry wouldn't sign for Pool purely because of his treatment last summer?. He wanted to play CL football but when the club offering left him high and dry is it that much of a surprise he went to City who had no qualms about the asking price?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

LFC TV were onto me the other day looking for somebody from Irishkop to talk about the the site on a phone in they had,I could not take the call but Liam one of the mods did and he did us proud.

Here is a link to the show for anybody interested,if you want only only want to hear our Liam fast forward to around the 40min mark.

Works best with Real Player.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/cmczZm1ZYXlGR0VLSkE9PQ

• Advertisement

I know.
    I can't believe it.
    I had my Ribéry jersey ordered already!

Saw that alright the other night.
    Auld Aldo looked touched with Liam.:pac:

Saw that alright the other night.
    Auld Aldo looked touched with Liam.:pac:

Yea,I loved Liam's Whelan dig at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Which leads on this, is is that much of a thought crime around here to suggest like Boggles has Barry wouldn't sign for Pool purely because of his treatment last summer?. He wanted to play CL football but when the club offering left him high and dry is it that much of a surprise he went to City who had no qualms about the asking price?

Agreed. It's amazing how when someone doesn't sign for your club that it's 'money and greed' that dictates them. And then when they do sign it's for a genuine love of the club. That's not just the 'Pool but seems to be the way at every club.

From Barry's point of view there's two options:

1) Join Liverpool - who want you, but don't think your worth that much and spend so much time messing around trying to sell Alonso so you can join. Meanwhile you're getting stick from Villa fans for having no loyalty and then have to play a further season there because the deal has fallen through. Liverpool come knocking again next year and in your head you're thinking "here we go again".

2) Join City - will pay whatever it takes to sign you because they think you're a top Premiership midfielder and want to make you a central part (and possibly captain) of a serious up and coming side that will be no doubt breaking into the top four soon given their weighty finances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

So because he's an England international it's be wise not to criticise him? especially if you're a foreign manager? Total Arse, managers come in for criticism everyday why can't a player come under a bit of scrutiny from time to time?

I'd have to question Rafa's mentality if he declined to commment on Barry after being asked, based on the fact he's an England international.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Yea,I loved Liam's Whelan dig at the end.

Sure he was the only caller who didn't pick Whealan as the greatest ever Red.
    Liam was right though, the image of Aldo throwing everything into the Kop is what a proper Red hero is.

Whelan while more succesfull will never have that.

1) Join Liverpool - who want you, and you could play in the CL, for one of the worlds biggest clubs - just like you'd stated you wanted to do.

2) Join City - will pay whatever it takes to sign you because they think you're a top Premiership midfielder and want to make you a central part (and possibly captain) of a serious up and coming side that will be no doubt breaking into the top four soon given their weighty finances.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,316 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

a serious up and coming side that will be no doubt breaking into the top four soon given their weighty finances.

lets see how city get on,

top 6 would be an achievement, they will not break the top 4 this season or next

Torres with his new arrival

article005ab6a81000005d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Heh! He looks nervous

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement