Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Agreed. It's amazing how when someone doesn't sign for your club that it's 'money and greed' that dictates them. And then when they do sign it's for a genuine love of the club. That's not just the 'Pool but seems to be the way at every club.

From Barry's point of view there's two options:

1) Join Liverpool - who want you, but don't think your worth that much and spend so much time messing around trying to sell Alonso so you can join. Meanwhile you're getting stick from Villa fans for having no loyalty and then have to play a further season there because the deal has fallen through. Liverpool come knocking again next year and in your head you're thinking "here we go again".

2) Join City - will pay whatever it takes to sign you because they think you're a top Premiership midfielder and want to make you a central part (and possibly captain) of a serious up and coming side that will be no doubt breaking into the top four soon given their weighty finances.

there's a few ways you can look at it;

1) Join Liverpool - Title contenders last season and in with a stronger shout next season, play champions league football, play with some of the greatest players in the world and in front of some of the worlds most passionate football fans. Play under a manager who wanted to sign you last season but couldn't due to his board baulking at the hefty price tag, yet maintained his interest and faith in you for coming back for you a season later.

2) Join City - Play under Mark Hughes who took them to the lofty position of 10th last year, who despite all their riches seem to be failing to attract any big name players since Robinho. A team who won't be playing champions league football next year and will be lucky to get into it the following year, by which time you'll be 30 and more than likely replaced anyway.....but, the pay packet will be heavier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Huntelaar going to Stuttgart most likely, should quell any hopes people in this thread had a while ago. SSN

Dub13 wrote: »
    Torres with his new arrival

article005ab6a81000005d.jpg

Fair play Nando, silver runners though?? Sort it out son.

Well, Rummenigge wasn't the one betting anyway:
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_5424742,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Fair play Nando, silver runners though?? Sort it out son.

i thought id do his wife more than that! shes changed!

• Advertisement

mink_man wrote: »

She's just after having a baby ffs lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

ah i still would.

and his wife aint bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Jeez, this thread has turned into some f*ckin' rag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

back to liverpool, real are rumoured to be back in for alonso, yahoo! (the website now)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

back to liverpool, real are rumoured to be back in for alonso, yahoo! (the website now)

Real Madrid? Alonso? Who would've thought it?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

its gettin to be like the Hokey Pokey with all this inning and outing. Deal done when they start 'shaking it all about' i guess...

Dub13 wrote: »
    Torres with his new arrival

article005ab6a81000005d.jpg

Sign her up !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

bbc are saying we could be asking for up to £50m, i would take 40 at this stage just to be done with it. I think it is obvious Xabi wants to go but doesnt want say so so as not to piss off the fans in case Rafa doesnt get his required price!

linky: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8145152.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Ahh this is horse****.

Worst.Transfer.Season.Ever.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

bbc are saying we could be asking for up to £50m, i would take 40 at this stage just to be done with it. I think it is obvious Xabi wants to go but doesnt want say so so as not to piss off the fans in case Rafa doesnt get his required price!

:eek:

wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What do we want? lower transfer prices!

When do we want them ? NOW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Headshot wrote: »

wow

well i was happy with 35 but when i heard 50 i said why not throw another 5 on it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Just to change the subject a tad, I don't know if any of ye are Charlie Brooker fans, but besides being hilarious, his new show had a little Liverpool link in it.

On the first episode of "You Have Been Watching" he managed to get Jamelia to call Kelvin Mzckenzie a €unt.

Classic mirth making.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

well i was happy with 35 but when i heard 50 i said why not throw another 5 on it:D

:)

wasnt it 18 last season ?

I know he has a great season and all but its more or less doubled his worth in a season

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

He has three years on his contract, Rafa can ask for whatever he wants.

And of course its Real, so if we can put them over the barrel, we should. If we got offered £40m - £50m, il give Xabi his taxi fare to the airport.

• Advertisement

Just to change the subject a tad, I don't know if any of ye are Charlie Brooker fans, but besides being hilarious, his new show had a little Liverpool link in it.

On the first episode of "You Have Been Watching" he managed to get Jamelia to call Kelvin Mzckenzie a €unt.

Classic mirth making.:)

Yeah I watched it, it was brilliant. Would highly recommend everyone watches the next one. The thing on the IRA vs Taliban was hilarious. OT I know but still...

A very funny and sharp guy

I know he has a great season and all but its more or less doubled his worth in a season

Prices have gone a bit mad this season if you hadn't noticed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Fromvert wrote: »
    He has three years on his contract, Rafa can ask for whatever he wants.

And of course its Real, so if we can put them over the barrel, we should. If we got offered £40m - £50m, il give Xabi his taxi fare to the airport.

Who would be a suitable replacement?

The-Rigger wrote: »

Well the question that should be asked is 'Who would be a suitable replacement we can afford/attract?'

And the answer?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'd say Madrid are hoping that Alonso will publically state a desire to leave Liverpool as that will not only get the ball rolling, but probably drive down the transfer fee.

The-Rigger wrote: »

Havnt a breeze but its not my job to know, its Rafa's and Id trust him to replace Alonso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be fair, Rafa has a good eye for defenders and midfielders.

Signed 4 midfielders, Masch, Alonso, Sissoko and Lucas.

Lucas is the only one who wasn't an unmitigated success, and theres still plenty of time for that to happen, particularly considering the low transfer cost.
    Masch and Alonso were obviously fabulous buys, and Sissoko earned a very nice profit, and looked on course for an incredible career before his eye trouble, though he looks back on track again now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Hoki wrote: »
    I thought this was funny - from the ever reliable Goal.com : http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2008/05/31/717666/liverpool-to-offer-20m-for-ribery

Hopefully we get Riera , im sick of his drawn out transfer :rolleyes:

Are you being funny or do you not realise that is a year old?

Hoki wrote: »
    I thought this was funny - from the ever reliable Goal.com : http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2008/05/31/717666/liverpool-to-offer-20m-for-ribery

Hopefully we get Riera , im sick of his drawn out transfer :rolleyes:

You do realise its 2009 now, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

JPA wrote: »
    Are you being funny or do you not realise that is a year old?

I bet someone feels stupid :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Morzadec wrote: »
    Well the question that should be asked is 'Who would be a suitable replacement we can afford/attract?'

And the answer?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Why not get Sneider thrown in on the deal from Real if we are to sell Alonso to them, he's a good player...not as good as Xabi but he'd go some way to filling the void he'd leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

how embarrassing

wow

What do you want us to say?

I know that I had a good laugh at the 50m.. I imagine it felt something like how United fans felt last season when they heard that United were looking for 80m for Ronaldo..

It feels good to be pissing off Madrid for some reason - I actually don't mind Madrid either. EIther way, Liverpool will benefit and that is all I care about.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Why not get Sneider thrown in on the deal from Real if we are to sell Alonso to them, he's a good player...not as good as Xabi but he'd go some way to filling the void he'd leave!

Am starting to think that Rafa knows that there isn't a hope in hell that we will get 50m for Alonso. IIRC, there was something posted recently by someone who apparently had some insight into the negotiations between Liverpool and Real.

I think it was to do with Rafa telling Real to **** off over their valuation of their own and Liverpool's players and how it was Liverpool who stuffed them last season and not the other way around.

I think that he is holding out for a large cash sum (30m) for Alonso and a player like Sneijder, Robben or someone else that Real are trying to encourage out the door.

If Alonso was to move on, that scenario would make Alonso leaving slightly easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Am starting to think that Rafa knows that there isn't a hope in hell that we will get 50m for Alonso. IIRC, there was something posted recently by someone who apparently had some insight into the negotiations between Liverpool and Real.

I think it was to do with Rafa telling Real to **** off over their valuation of their own and Liverpool's players and how it was Liverpool who stuffed them last season and not the other way around.

I think that he is holding out for a large cash sum (30m) for Alonso and a player like Sneijder, Robben or someone else that Real are trying to encourage out the door.

If Alonso was to move on, that scenario would make Alonso leaving slightly easier.

Real Madrid are offering that young striker aren't they?

• Advertisement

I think that he wants more than just a 10 million rated striker. That or he wants more cash than Real are willing to offer. Real's upper limit seems to be somewhere between 20 and 30 million.

Am thinking that Real are offering 20 to 30 plus Negredo (or however you spell his name). I am guessing that we want 30 to 40 plus Negredo.

Hopefully, Madrid might end up offering their 20 to 30 million plus two 10 million rated players or maybe Robben or Sneijder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

well alex ferguson thought that berbatov had tripled his worth in 2 seasons at spurs ;)

real believed Lassana Diarra had quadrupled in value in one season

surely rafa is not that stupid to fall for that one again, he already got his fingers burnt last time they softened a deal

Morzadec wrote: »
    Yeah I watched it, it was brilliant. Would highly recommend everyone watches the next one. The thing on the IRA vs Taliban was hilarious. OT I know but still...

A very funny and sharp guy

As soon as I saw that, I had to go out and download the full IRA vs Taliban show.
    Fu€king hilarious!:D

From what i read the Real offer was along the lines of £15,000,000 plus ?Negredo.

Rafa's response was peals of laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Xabi Alonso situation demands swift resolution

Quite a large number of our readers have been asking for information regarding Xabi Alonso`s situation at Liverpool, and a few people have been waiting for me to return so that we can reveal whether or not the player will definitely be staying or going to Madrid. I`m afraid these transfers do not work like that and I hate to disappoint, but at this moment in time, we simply do not know what will happen for certain. As Lee suggested in the last transfer rumour round-up, the situation as it stands at the moment is relatively well known by many of you, and as soon as something more concrete emerges, we`ll let you know.

All I can do at this moment in time is confirm a few things and perhaps ask a few questions of my own.

It is true that Real Madrid are getting a little impatient with the situation and they would like to find a solution as soon as possible – not only with Xabi Alonso but they would like all of their transfer activity complete before pre-season in around two weeks time.

Rafa Benitez has been publicly sending out the message that he does not want Xabi Alonso to leave – but I cannot help wondering if, in these circumstances, it is entirely fair to do so when Xabi appears determined to move on. Their relationship may have reached breaking point: Rafa decided to sell him last summer and the player accepted the situation. However, when there were no concrete offers that matched Rafa`s valuation, Xabi was told he would be staying. Xabi was previously asked to sign a new deal and he did so. The player now feels it is time to move on and he has asked Rafa to release him so that he can pursue fresh challenges.

Under entirely normal circumstances, when there are healthy relationships between player, manager, agent etc – everything would be fairly straightforward and concluded with the minimum of fuss. However, it appears that nobody is willing to make compromises or make concessions and the situation seems to be in stalemate. The danger is that Real Madrid will run out of patience and focus their attention on other targets (the Spanish newspaper Marca is reporting that De Rossi of Roma is already being lined up as an alternative). If that were to happen, and Xabi ends up staying at Liverpool – I have to ask how healthy that would be for the relationship between manager and player at Anfield, and how motivated will Xabi be next season?

This could also lead to another potential problem for Benitez: if a price tag has been placed on Alonso, a player who has asked to leave – what happens if a premiership rival puts that money on the table after Madrid have withdrawn their interest? Would it have been better to have sold to Spain, rather than to a Premier League rival?

Perhaps a bid may come in from one of the big Italian clubs, but if not, the situation becomes increasingly more complicated and I fear it may not end to everyone`s satisfaction…

http://www.guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?id=210&titulo=Xabi%20Alonso%20situation%20demands%20swift%20resolution

appologies if this has been posted, but it doesnt make for nice reading if true.

would be nice to think rafa and xabi could sit down and iron out any issues and move on from this rubbish, seems like such a waste for xabi to move on now considering he's been part of rafa's project since day 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superhands

that was posted on Balague's site on the 8th I think - ie before Rafa came out with his "Alonso and Mascherano shoudl be grateful for what we've done for their careers" quote

my reading is this : Alonso wants to leave and has told Rafa but it will be over Rafa's dead body

last year with Gerrard expected to continue as one of 2 central midfielders and Barry on his way Rafa was willing to let Alonso go - I think that hurt Alonso

situation very different now - Rafa now playing with Gerrard further forward so needs two deep lying midfielders and no chance of Barry

Cattermole is being mentioned as a possible replacement now aswelll link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Well this is just delightful news.:mad:

Headline is slightly misleading but basically JP will be receiving the same amount after tax as a player on £80k p.w. in England. i.e. 40k p.w.

From the figures quoted it's going to cost Real Zaragoza £7,675,200 over three years. It would cost a club in England £12,480,000 in order for JP to have the same net wage. Can see more players going to Spain if this keeps up.
    Jermaine Pennant's switch to Real Zaragoza earns him '£80,000 a week'
    • Ex-Liverpool man will earn £80,000 a week gross
    • Winger rejected Milan in favour of Spain

David Hytner guardian.co.uk, Friday 10 July 2009 23.10 BST

Jermaine Pennant has highlighted the riches on offer for English players in Spain by agreeing a deal at Real Zaragoza which is worth the equivalent of £80,000 a week.

The winger, who spent the latter half of last season on loan from Liverpool at Portsmouth before he became a free agent at the beginning of the month, chose Zaragoza, who are newly promoted to La Liga, ahead of Atlético Madrid and Espanyol.

The 26-year-old also had an offer on the table from Milan but he believes that the Italian club will re-sign David Beckham and start him on the right side of midfield, which would restrict Pennant's playing opportunities.

It is the detail of Pennant's deal at Zaragoza with regard to taxes that will have some English players and agents salivating. His three-year contract is worth £6.24m net, with the Spanish club effectively paying his taxes. They have been helped to do this by top-bracket tax perks or what has become informally known in Spain as the "Beckham law". In an attempt to encourage overseas businesses to place their leading executives in Spain, the government introduced legislation to cut taxes in the top bracket to 23% for the first five years. Real Madrid, a club synonymous with galáctico signings such as Beckham, then argued successfully that leading overseas footballers ought to enjoy the same privilege.

Zaragoza will pay £9,200 a week in taxes on behalf of Pennant, as they have guaranteed him take-home pay of £40,000 a week. In England, where players tend to be paid gross and, as of April, the tax rate for high earners stands at 50%, Pennant would have needed a salary of £80,000 a week to match what he will now get.

Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager who signed Pennant as a 15-year-old from Notts County for £2m, has warned that England's 50% tax rate for annual earners of more than £150,000 will prompt foreign players to stay away and those already in the Premier League to consider their futures. Andrey Arshavin, Arsenal's £15m January recruit from Zenit St Petersburg, has been surprised at the UK tax laws.

"If they do not solve the tax issues in England, it's possible that they will see an exodus of stars," the Russia international told Sport Express newspaper in his homeland. "But, in my view, the Premier League is still the best. However, we will find out when we see what happens in the Champions League, of course."

English players are not noted for their willingness to move abroad but the case of Pennant, who has had a free villa and car included in his deal, suggests that might be about to change.

"I wanted to come to Spain and I had offers from important teams in Europe but I joined Real Zaragoza," said Pennant, who has had a £21m release clause written into his contract. "I really want to get started and do well in the league."

Pennant scored three goals during his three-year spell at the Anfield club, having signed from Birmingham City for £6.7m in July 2007.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jul/10/jermaine-pennant-real-zaragoza-transfer

I say fair play to him but that is worrying about the tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Video clip of Ryan Flynn talking about his move back to Falkirk.

From the sounds of it I'd say it's unlikely he will make the break-through at Liverpool from the way he was talking i.e. going on about staying at Falkirk longer term

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/scotland/8143013.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Players on a free transfer are always going to make a lot but still. it's a lot.
    I hope for their sake he does some good.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superhands

the tax thing is really hurting the PL at the moment

that and the fall in value of Sterling

definitely factors in transfers over the last few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sterling has strengthened recently, exchange rate is about 85p/euro atm, back from near parity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I hope he doesn't sell Alonso but if he does he'd want to be getting a better striker than Negredo in the swap deal no matter how well he played last season. Huntelaar plus £20mill but he's gone now so the only other player worth taking is Sneider, Robben's a €unt, a diver and a player who'd cause more harm than good to the team imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Tidbit from football365.com

Don't think ye'll be happy about this men:
    Lee Cattermole is reportedly attracting interest from Liverpool as Rafa Benitez considers his options with the futures of both Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano still in doubt.

With Liverpool already missing out on the Manchester City-bound Gareth Barry, Cattermole has been touted as a potential replacement for either Alonso or Mascherano if they leave Anfield for Spain.

However, while The Independent says that 'Liverpool are understood to have considered a move for Cattermole in the event of Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano leaving', the prospect of Cattermole moving to Anfield has diminished 'after Rafael Benitez took a defiant stance about their contracts on Thursday.'

Cattermole is still in demand, though, with Sunderland launching an £8m bid for the midfielder earlier this week. Wigan rejected the offer and remain adamant that their player is not for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I actually think Cattermole is a decent young player tbh.

Oh and Ballague says that Real are done with Alonso & have made their last bid already, for those who place importance on what he says.

http://www.guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?id=212&titulo=Final%20Real%20bid%20for%20Alonso%20falls%20short

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement