Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What is worring is that Alonso got married yesterday, its when that sort of thing happens you start thinking of home. The sun, the kids paddling in the pool, a sangria with the wife in the warm. You don't get that in Cheshire.

http://www.diariovasco.com/multimedia/fotos/real-sociedad/boda-xabi-alonso-nagore-39518.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Bit more on the Bouzanis loan deal - like the idea of him training at Liverpool but lining out with Wrexham.

The other keeper in the Wrexham squad is Chris Maxwell who is also 18, who has played for Wales U-21 twice already so looks like he is a decent prospect as well.
    Wrexham target Liverpool keeper

Wrexham hope to secure the loan signing of 18-year-old Liverpool goalkeeper Dean Bouzanis.

Liverpool have agreed to the move that would see the Australian continuing to train at Anfield several days a week but playing in the Blue Square Premier.

Wrexham manager Dean Saunders hopes to conclude the deal next week.

Bouzanis arrived at Liverpool from the New South Wales Institute of Sport, although he was loaned to Sydney FC until his 17th birthday.

Bouzanis, regarded by Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez as one of the best young goalkeepers in the world, is eligible to play internationally for Australia and Greece.

•Wrexham's friendly against Coventry at the Racecourse on Saturday ended in a 1-1 draw.

Marc Williams opened the scoring with a first-half goal for the Dragons, Jermine Grandison equalising after the break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

mike65 wrote: »
    What is worring is that Alonso got married yesterday, its when that sort of thing happens you start thinking of home. The sun, the kids paddling in the pool, a sangria with the wife in the warm. You don't get that in Cheshire.

http://www.diariovasco.com/multimedia/fotos/real-sociedad/boda-xabi-alonso-nagore-39518.html

Maybe thats why he's been withdrawn and pondering his future.

Might have been nice had the ****ing reporters done a bit of research into the matter rather than the usual recycled ****e they come out with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Maybe thats why he's been withdrawn and pondering his future.

Might have been nice had the ****ing reporters done a bit of research into the matter rather than the usual recycled ****e they come out with.

Tis interesting that there are a few ex Liverpool faces (Luis and Paco) in the photos but not one current squad member.

Also interesting is the two kids in Liverpool jerseys :D

edit: is that Pepe talking to Luis?

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5426839,00.html
    "We are confident in (Dirk) Kuyt, (Ryan) Babel, (David) Ngog and (Andriy) Voronin for next season. We have players with quality,"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Tis interesting that there are a few ex Liverpool faces (Luis and Paco) in the photos but not one current squad member.

Also interesting is the two kids in Liverpool jerseys :D

edit: is that Pepe talking to Luis?

Spanish media were reporting that it was only family and close friends at the ceremony which was low key and was a very traditional basque wedding. So a typical flash footballer's wedding was not on the cards. There were about 200 people at the meal afterwards with not a huge amount of footballers, I think the biggest names were Luis and Mikel Arteta (who is a friend of Xabi's since childhood)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

The rest of the squad are back in trainning so wouldnt have been able to attend. Only the Spanish lads are still on there break and Nando has his hands full with the new nipper. I wouldn't read anything in to it. Xabi is a private man and went for a traditional wedding as he's a very proud Basque man. Have to say his missus is a bit of all right :D

Holy smoke

http://www.myspace.com/luvnagore_xx

We should sign Xabis brother they are almost identical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Holy smoke

whos that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Holy smoke

??? All I see are Xabi and his missus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

He's shaved his beard! Without it he's rubbish...

Sell him! Sell him now!! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Keeper Watch

Seems like Mihaylov is back at Twente FC - played 70mins in a pre-season friendly for them yesterday. Clean sheet :p Looks like he will be spending the second year of the two-year loan deal which had been previously agreed there. Initially when we signed him it was a three year contract with the option to extend that by two more years. He was signed in 2007 so after this season with Twente we have the option of a two year extension. Really cant see the extension not being taken up even if it's only to sell him on for profit given the fee we paid for him Sofia was reported as a nominal sum. Does mean the keeper congestion at Melwood isn't as bad as it could have appeared.

Also stolen from elsewhere - New LB signing Chis Mavinga's nickname is apparently going to be Pull.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Latest one liner from Livertweet;
    This season GG/TH will go some way to restoring the faith of lfc fans. All parties will be pulling together in the right direction

They're still claiming this villa/silva deal is on the go, once Alonso is sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

~Rebel~ wrote: »

lol

villa and silva :pac:

Headshot wrote: »
    lol

villa and silva :pac:

I don't think there is a hope in hell it would happen but it would great if it did happen though - solely to see the reactions from the likes of yourself.

No doubt you will argue that that is small time but I don' care. Would be ****ing priceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I don't think there is a hope in hell it would happen but it would great if it did happen though - solely to see the reactions from the likes of yourself.

No doubt you will argue that that is small time but I don' care. Would be ****ing priceless.

:D

im not just laughing at villa and silva to liverpool but getting the transfer gossip from tweet and if ye sell Alonso,ye'll have to buy another midfielder

so doesnt really make sense

Headshot wrote: »
    :D

im not just laughing at villa and silva to liverpool but getting the transfer gossip from tweet and if ye sell Alonso,ye'll have to buy another midfielder

so doesnt really make sense

I know it doesn't. As I said, not a hope in hell of either being signed IMO..

I just think it would be genius if we did sign him, for the reactions alone.

??? All I see are Xabi and his missus?

naggy2.jpg

Thats his brother with girlfriend who happens to be the twin of Xabis girlfreind, see? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

naggy2.jpg

Thats his brother with girlfriend who happens to be the twin of Xabis girlfreind, see? :pac:

nice try mike, no cigar this time though!

• Advertisement

I hope the missus suggests that now would not be a good time up sticks and that they should leave it until next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

naggy2.jpg

Xabi on the right should open his eyes - he's about to walk into a wall

I want access to the worlds biggest facepalm icon, now!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

~Rebel~ wrote: »

We won't sign Villa.

I am expecting Silva to sign for us though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Okay, lets see how this works out for them.
    Real Madrid make cheap move for Liverpool star Xabi Alonso
    By Simon Bird 13/07/2009

Real Madrid have made a cheeky new move for Liverpool star Xabi Alonso - offering less than they did before.

The Spanish giants claim to have lodged a £25million bid last week which was rejected - and their petulant response was to reduce the figure by £3m in a new approach.

"It's not a mystery that Real Madrid are interested in signing him (Alonso) but it won't be easy," the club's new coach Manuel Pellegrini admitted last night.

"We are looking at alternatives for some positions," he added.

The attack is complete and perhaps a central midfielder or full-back is still missing but the rest of the positions are covered."

The big-spending Madrid money men have splashed out a fortune this summer and this latest effort to get Alonso comes in the wake of reports in Spain that the Anfield star wants the move.

Alonso is reported to have told Liverpool chief Rafa Benitez by phone that he wants to leave.

Real believe that Alonso wants to join them, but this latest transter tactic has only soured relationships between the two clubs.

Benitez knows that replacing Alonso will be hard - though players like Marseille's Lorik Cana and Standard Leige's Stefan Defour are on his radar.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/07/13/real-madrid-make-cheap-move-for-liverpool-star-xabi-alonson-115875-21515336/

By the way, I'd love to do up a list of midfielders that Rafa is supposed to be looking into at the moment.
    It's getting pretty long right now!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Roll on September..................PLEASE!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Why can't Real just Pi$$ off and find someone else.

We're playing hard ball for a simple reason and that is that we don't want nor need to sell. Rafa won't be bullied into selling to Perez and his bank managers.

Defour would be a good signing imo. Very good passer of the ball, he's an International regular and captain of Standard Liege if I'm not mistaken. And he's also still very young.

And I'd say Rafa's contingency list for Alonso must be quite long by now. He also has to add some names in case Fowler forbid, Mascherano leaves...

Yeah, I'm getting really tired of Real and their efforts to get Alonso - particularly now they're being cheeky and offering even less - I'd say thats due to the clause in Alonso's contract running out in a couple of days.

When the Real Sociedad clause expires on the 18th (20% of the sell on) they'll have one last (serious) go - thats when we'll know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Yeah, I'm getting really tired of Real and their efforts to get Alonso - particularly now they're being cheeky and offering even less - I'd say thats due to the clause in Alonso's contract running out in a couple of days.

Yeh, but are they retarded? We are not TRYING to sell, unlike last year when we would have taken a reasonable bid. So why would we accept a lesser bid at ANY stage??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    I am expecting Silva to sign for us though.

Don't know if I am expecting it, but I do think we'll get a winger. Silva was cost a pretty penny, and I don't think we are looking to spend a lot more, without sales...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Dickerty wrote: »
    Yeh, but are they retarded? We are not TRYING to sell, unlike last year when we would have taken a reasonable bid. So why would we accept a lesser bid at ANY stage??

because possibly Real know the player wants to leave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Roll on September..................PLEASE!:(

Brother when your old and grey you may end up looking back at your life and asking yourself did you really wish the summers would rush by so you could watch other people kick a ball around:eek::rolleyes:

I always enjoyed the break for it all, well i did till LOI went summer football, now im tied in 12 months a year :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Just saw that myself. Its happening :( Now its just a question of money and finding a direct replacement or tweak the formation a bit.

zing wrote: »

No quotes there from the player. Hopefully it's not true but these rumours won't go away.

If he does end up going and we get £30m for him to add to the £20m we reportedly have left it should mean we are in for a few decent players.

Until I see official quotes I won't believe it though.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    No quotes there from the player. Hopefully it's not true but these rumours won't go away.

If he does end up going and we get £30m for him to add to the £20m we reportedly have left it should mean we are in for a few decent players.

Until I see official quotes I won't believe it though.
    No quotes but considering the journalist who wrote it it's fairly safe to assume it to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Just saw that myself. Its happening :( Now its just a question of money and finding a direct replacement or tweak the formation a bit.

Now its a question of who will replace him?

Maybe it'll be £27 million plus Negrado? If Benitez is so insistent on getting £35m for Alonso. They'll still need to bring in a replacement.

Cambiasso has been linked, as has many more, but just who would be on Rafa's wishlist if this goes through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

so who are the replacements then? Defour or Valbuena look ok but no where near Xabi...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

It's gotta be Sneider in return....please please please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Sneijder is no replacement for Xabi. I doubt he'll cut it at CM in the premier league - maybe out wide or in Gerrard's role. If he was signed Gerrard would probably play CM and i'm not happy with that.
    IMO if Xabi goes we need to use the money to sign two Central Midfielders - one who can go some way to playing Xabi's role, and someone like Cattermole who'd be decent backup for Mascherano.
    Hopefully we'd still have 10-15 million from that then to go towards an Attacking midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

All media covering the Echo story.

Xabi has given 5 years of great service, and I hope it doesn't come to handing in a transfer request

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i want to cry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Still wont believe it till he actually goes. But it's not like its coming right out of the blue for either side. I'm sure RB has known long enough that he might loose him and is looking to get a replacement for him

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

No quotes from the player as yet; however it's a worry as let's face it, it's not as if it's the Sun...it's a credible source :(

If what was reported today about Madrid DROPPING their offer...well it leads me to believe that they have had contact with Xabi's agent about a possible 'green light' on his behalf.

On the bright side...if I had to choose either Xabi or Masch to stay...well quite honestly I would choose Masch...world class defensive midfielders are harder to come by IMO...and if Xabi does go, I have faith in Rafa replacing him.

Wouldn't like to see Gerrard drop in there though...don't touch the Gerrard Torres partbnership IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

have to agree SWAR if it came to it I would prefer to keep Masch.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

have to agree SWAR if it came to it I would prefer to keep Masch.

Let's just pray he stays...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

I think Cambiasso would be more likely to be the replacement for Alonso.

I would however prefer Arteta from Everton if it were my choice.

If Liverpool get a big sum of money plus a player and can then go and replace Alonso for a reasonable fee as well as adding a good player to the attacking mid section i'd be happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

barrett is just re-hashing what guillem balague posted to his own site on the 8th of july.

at the end of the day, the last quote xabi alonso himself gave on the situation was this
    "I do not think a move to Real Madrid is impossible, but I would also have no regrets at all staying at Liverpool."

so going by that, i think if pool can agree a fee he'll happily hit the road, if not, he'll happily stick around.

untill i hear him come out with something more definitive, i'll go with what rafa says, and at the moment it doesnt seem to be in his mind to part with any of his key players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Does this mean I have to shave by Xabi beard?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement