Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I don't know if we're watching the same teams, but I don't think we're reading the same posts.

Show me where I said deep midfield?

I said midfield, as Voronin started most games before his injury on the right or left, and after in the Gerrard role of attacking midfield.

I was using Voronin as an example as he gets the most stick, and along with Xabi is one of the players being questioned all off-season.
    Also both were missing for half the season with injury.

Not because they play the same role.;)

Already adressed that Tuskey, as I'm sure you've already seen.

I had very valid reasons for comparing him to Voronin, and if you look into it, you'll see that most of Voronins starts were on the right last season, untill Kuyt was moved there after Voronin was injured.

Voronin started I think two league games up front all season IIRC. (Could be off on that.)

And I'm sorry, but three broken bones in 4 years, is bordering on injury prone to me.

P.S:You still haven't addressed any of my points BTW.
    How come we rarely beat the same teams year in, year out?
    The ones who happen to be the dogged pysical ones?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Just seen Benitez press conference on Sky, he states that any info on purchases the press must talk to Parry as he has control on that area, any football questions ask Benitez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Stop fscking calling Voronin "HHH" - it's embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

:( bad feeling about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

Just seen Benitez press conference on Sky, he states that any info on purchases the press must talk to Parry as he has control on that area, any football questions ask Benitez.

Basically Rafa is saying that if people like Parry want to fuk about in the area of transfers then they can field questions on the transfers. If they want to eat the ingredients of the cake, then they can explain to the kids just where the cake went.

Benitez is the man.

Parry is a titcalf.

PiE wrote: »
    Stop fscking calling Voronin "HHH" - it's embarrassing.

No, and.....no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Parry is a titcalf.

genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Anyone wondering what influence Sammy Lee will have this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

So, Daft has bought a bit of boards.ie. I hope mike65 gets his fair share of that as a 'content contributor'. They also say: Over the longer term, both companies have committed to continue to provide an independent and neutral platform for Irish consumers to voice their opinions,' Daft Media said.

Strange, I've expressed my opinion on several things and ended up getting nothing but infractions and bannings and mods fighting tooth and nail to enforce their petty decisions. Hmmm.

Back on topic, comparing Voronin and Alonso is an apples to oranges comparison. They play in different areas of the pitch and are tasked with different things. I think any reasonable analysis would conclude that Alonso has done more than Voronin. Maybe Voronin will be given another chance but with the signing of Keane that is less likely now. He has been given plenty of chances and just hasnt delivered.

In terms of Aldo and the ShareLiverpoolFC scheme, this project has many obstacles in its way, not only the gathering of funds but negotiating with any would-be sellers such as Gillet & Hicks. Its unclear if the scheme will be ready to bid for the ownership when the next window opens up with G&H. I forget when that may be but it should conincide with the next tim ethey have to renegotiate their funding position.

Back to the issue of accomodating both Gerrard and Keane in the team. One option perhaps is the Xmas-tree formation, 4-3-2-1, ala:

Reina
    RB - Carra - CB ---- LB
    Kuyt - Masch - Alonso
    --- Keane --- Gerrard -
    Torres

Its something akin to a 4-3-3. But what it does clearly state is that there are no wide midfielders and no wingers. Babel could also play in Alonso's slot for variation. The challenge for such a formation is defending against a team that have good wide men.

It will be interesting to see the line-up on the w/e, as seemingly Gerrard is fit to start, as well as the line-ups and formations in the weeks to come. Who knows what is really inside Rafa's mind ..... I know I dont.

enjoy ....

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

that acticle does not make happy reading:(, sounds like he's well pissed off with the state of the transfers.

i hope we dont have the same management/board room crap we put up with all last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Already adressed that Tuskey, as I'm sure you've already seen.

I had very valid reasons for comparing him to Voronin, and if you look into it, you'll see that most of Voronins starts were on the right last season, untill Kuyt was moved there after Voronin was injured.

Voronin started I think two league games up front all season IIRC. (Could be off on that.)

And I'm sorry, but three broken bones in 4 years, is bordering on injury prone to me.

P.S:You still haven't addressed any of my points BTW.
    How come we rarely beat the same teams year in, year out?
    The ones who happen to be the dogged pysical ones?!

But thats a completely different discussion. Your point was that Alonso hasnt performed since the first season, I was replying to that. Then you started comparing his stats to Voronins, which I thought was stupid.

Now you are saying that you were comparing his stats to Voronin to show that Voronin gets too much stick ? What does that have to do with the discussion we were having ?

Im too lazy to go back and check, but Voronin played either as a striker or in the hole for the majority of his apperances last season. Even when he was played out wide he had a much more attacking role than Alonso - so its mental to even compare them. Comparing him to Alonso makes absolutely no sense no matter what slant you put on it.

Answering your question - I think we have been seriously lacking in the wide areas, both in full backs and on the wings, Ive already said that.

Evra, Ronaldo, Clichy, Sagna, Rosicky, Nasri, Walcott, Bossingwa, Cole, Cole, Sean Wright Philips etc etc

How many of our wide players are as good as the above ? Thats where we are lacking in my opinion, not in the middle.

p.s Instead of comparing Alonsos stats to a striker, lets compare them to similar players in the United squad that won the double.

Alonso - 23 apperances - 2 goals
    Anderson - 20 apperances - 0 goals
    Carrick - 48 apperances - 2 goals
    Scholes - 34 apperances - 2 goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just wanted to pick up on this;
    The first was an awful challenge from Lampard that would have broken anyones leg. Nought to do with injury proneness there.

The second was a metatarsal, pretty common injury these days,
    the third was a re-occurance of the above after he'd come back too soon.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Just wanted to pick up on this;
    The first was an awful challenge from Lampard that would have broken anyones leg. Nought to do with injury proneness there.

The second was a metatarsal, pretty common injury these days,
    the third was a re-occurance of the above after he'd come back too soon.

Aye - I was gonna address that but I got bored typing. Heres a more detailed look.

07/08 - 27 - 4th season, terrible injuries, struggled
    06/07 - 50 - 3rd season, poor season
    05/06 - 51 - 2nd season, fantastic
    04/05 - 32 - 1st season, amazing
    03/04 - 43
    02/03 - 34
    01/02 - 30
    00/01 - 18 ( he was only 18 years old)

Add to that 47 apperances for Spain. Injury prone my arse.

Karmafaerie

I just went back and had a wee look at the line ups last year. I just checked the first 2.5 months. Voronin made 7 apperances up front in those 2 months.

Tusky wrote: »
    But thats a completely different discussion. Your point was that Alonso hasnt performed since the first season, I was replying to that. Then you started comparing his stats to Voronins, which I thought was stupid.

Now you are saying that you were comparing his stats to Voronin to show that Voronin gets too much stick ? What does that have to do with the discussion we were having ?

Im too lazy to go back and check, but Voronin played either as a striker or in the hole for the majority of his apperances last season. Even when he was played out wide he had a much more attacking role than Alonso - so its mental to even compare them. Comparing him to Alonso makes absolutely no sense no matter what slant you put on it.

Answering your question - I think we have been seriously lacking in the wide areas, both in full backs and on the wings, Ive already said that.

Evra, Ronaldo, Clichy, Sagna, Rosicky, Nasri, Walcott, Bossingwa, Cole, Cole, Sean Wright Philips etc etc

How many of our wide players are as good as the above ? Thats where we are lacking in my opinion, not in the middle.

p.s Instead of comparing Alonsos stats to a striker, lets compare them to similar players in the United squad that won the double.

I used Voronin, as both missed half of last season with injury, and both are doubted by some here.

Is this so hard to understand?

Both broke bones + Both questioned, = common denominator!

I posted Voronins stats as for a player that missed half the season, and played out of position, he didn't do too badly.

And yes, he did play out of position.
    Please tell me when he made all these starts upfront while Torres and Kuyt were partnered there at the start of the season, and then Torres was on his own for the end?

Were we playing three up front?

No Voronin was playing on the wing.
    Mainly the right, until he was injured.

As for Alonso, his bad form coincided with the first break, from that horrific challenge.
    But since then he hasn't been constantly fit.
    I know enough about bad breaks (I've had over 30 breaks!) to know that sometimes when something heals, it leaves you vulnerable to other injuries, as you have to compensate!

That causes a lack of form, and fitness.

And how about I try this for a third time.
    maybe you can address it now.

Liverpool unable to beat the dogged physical teams with Alonso in midfield.

Thoughts, or will we all ignore the question again?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I think it's pretty clear that most people think the comparison was a little off beam - even if we agree that Voronin played midfield for most of his apperances last season (which I don't) it would have been on the right of a forward 3, or in the Kuyt position, which is a totally different thing to playing as a deep central midfielder. And the stats you chose to compare were apperances, assists and goals. Naturally you would expect a striker - or a forward facing "midfielder" to have more goals and assists than one who plays deeper. Masch scored once last season and I doubt he had many assists, is Voronin better than him too? If you really wanted to make a comparison then maybe passes attempted / completed might have been more valid.

And to address your question we don't need to try and beat the physical teams with Alonso in the side - that's why we have physical, muscular alternatives available. You pick the side to suit the strengths of your team and nullify those of your opponents.

[edit] and why call Voronin HHH? I don't get it? :confused:

• Advertisement

I used Voronin, as both missed half of last season with injury, and both are doubted by some here.

And to address your question we don't need to try and beat the physical teams with Alonso in the side - that's why we have physical, muscular alternatives available. You pick the side to suit the strengths of your team and nullify those of your opponents.

Such as, I don't know, Barry maybe?!

The reason I say this is that people refuse to accept that Alonso can't play against fast physical teams, but don't accept that they're the teams that we can't beat every year.
    How often will the same people taht refuse to accept that Alonso needs time and space be in here complaining about how we drew at home to Blackburn etc, with alonso passing the ball back to the center halves for the game?!
    --amadeus wrote:
    [edit] and why call Voronin HHH? I don't get it? :confused:

Triple-H5.jpgandriy-voronin.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Comparing Alonso to Voronin is stupid. Yeah, i understand the point. Alonso loses form, people use injury as an excuse, but don't give the same leniancy to Voronin. The difference is that Alonso has shown he is a brilliant player when on form. Voronin has shown he doesn't land on his f*cking arse or hit a plane when shooting when he's on form.
    He's a joke player who fans of other clubs laugh at. He is our Titus Bramble! He is not good enough for a club like Liverpool and to aspire to where we want to go. Hopefully, Keegan will put in a bid! Or Roy Keane!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Comparing Alonso to Voronin is stupid. Yeah, i understand the point. Alonso loses form, people use injury as an excuse, but don't give the same leniancy to Voronin. The difference is that Alonso has shown he is a brilliant player when on form. Voronin has shown he doesn't land on his f*cking arse or hit a plane when shooting when he's on form.
    He's a joke player who fans of other clubs laugh at. He is our Titus Bramble! He is not good enough for a club like Liverpool and to aspire to where we want to go. Hopefully, Keegan will put in a bid! Or Roy Keane!!

Grow up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

but it's a pointless comparison,

and I think it was a ridiculous comment to say we have issues with the pysical teams, we have issues with teams that give us no ball time, which is **** I know but not the physical thing, that's Arsenal who don't like that.

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    but it's a pointless comparison,

and I think it was a ridiculous comment to say we have issues with the pysical teams, we have issues with teams that give us no ball time, which is **** I know but not the physical thing, that's Arsenal who don't like that.

I suppose i should have been using athletic as apposed to physial.
    My bad.
    I did mean the fit teams that give us no room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Such as, I don't know, Barry maybe?!

The reason I say this is that people refuse to accept that Alonso can't play against fast physical teams, but don't accept that they're the teams that we can't beat every year.
    How often will the same people taht refuse to accept that Alonso needs time and space be in here complaining about how we drew at home to Blackburn etc, with alonso passing the ball back to the center halves for the game?!

Triple-H5.jpgandriy-voronin.jpg

:D

Always though he was more of an RVD lookaline, myself. Emanuel Petit was the HHH man.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Grow up.

Grow up?? For not having a high opinion of a Liverpool player?? Don't rate him. Not good enough for Liverpool. Simple as that! Nothing to get worked up about!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

While I agree to a point man, I must say this

*put on liverpool optimistic glasses, hat and scarf*

with the following no nonsense players who actually show they love a tackle and love chasing the opposition into dark alley's to beat them to death (skrtle, dossena, aggre, carra, gerrard, masch, kuyt, keane and torres) i think that even in the more physical games this season we might see Alonso get more ball time - if we can match they're approach in high intensity games they won't always be able to close down as quickly as they might like.

Although what I just said is mostly nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

In other news - O2 are some shower. Was at the cinema last night and during one of the ads at the start, a tune started playing. In my head I went "I know that tune". They've only gone and nicked "the animals went in two by two" tune for their new ad. I was humming and bouncing along to the proper Nando version in my head. Havent seen it on the tv yet. So the big question is are O2 trying to piggyback off Fernando's song or is who ever came up with the ad a Lverpool fan? Curious.

Doesnt matter, its an irrelevant comparison. Voronin has nothing to do with our debate on Alonso's form.
    I posted Voronins stats as for a player that missed half the season, and played out of position, he didn't do too badly.

And yes, he did play out of position.
    Please tell me when he made all these starts upfront while Torres and Kuyt were partnered there at the start of the season, and then Torres was on his own for the end?

Were we playing three up front?

No Voronin was playing on the wing.
    Mainly the right, until he was injured.

WRONG AGAIN. Unlike you, I actually checked up on this before posting. He made SEVEN apperances in the first few months as a striker. I didnt bother checking further than that as that is enough to prove you wrong. See for yourself - http://www.football-lineups.com/
    And how about I try this for a third time.
    maybe you can address it now.

Liverpool unable to beat the dogged physical teams with Alonso in midfield.

Thoughts, or will we all ignore the question again?!!

Errr - I answered it a few posts ago. You are the one that is ignoring my points. You say Alonso is injury prone - I post up his apperances that contradict this. You AGAIN say he is injury prone.

You say Voronin played mostly on the right only twice started as a striker. I check it up and actually that is completely false. You AGAIN say that he was played on the right more often than not at the start of the season.

It really is you that is either not reading my posts properly, or ignoring the facts that I have posted up. My answer to your question can be seen below.

So you have been wrong about Voronin being playing mainly on the right (not that its of any relivence to the Alonso debate) and I have given you a link to prove this.

You have been wrong about Alonso being injury prone. I have posted up his apperances over the last 8 seasons to prove this.

You were wrong to compare Alonsos stats to a striker, I posted up a comparison against all similar players in utds team.

Maybe you are wrong about Alonso in general ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Grow up.

isnt the best way of comparing midfielders and showing their form pass completion rate, tackle completion rate and that sort of lark? you know... stuff that midfielders are meant to do.

thats why comparing alonso to voronin is retarded. like pants on head retarded

I believe the sh!t has hit the fan again today.

Jazzy wrote: »
    isnt the best way of comparing midfielders and showing their form pass completion rate, tackle completion rate and that sort of lark? you know... stuff that midfielders are meant to do.

thats why comparing alonso to voronin is retarded. like pants on head retarded

Agreed. I don't want to be personal but I can't see why the two of them should be compared. Apples and Apples is the only way.

Both should have been sold this year.

It never happened though. Apparently some German teams are talking £6m for Vorro. Had Alonso hauled ass to Turin then we would have Barry plus £2m to play with.

Up yours, Rick Parry.:mad:

You understand, I don't give a toss about Barry. I don't care for him, or against him. I just know Benitez wanted him. If Benitez wanted two buckets of steam and 14 jugs of striped paint, 10 jugs of tartan paint, skyhooks, and a collection of glass hammers, then thats what you get him.

Period, end of.

Yankers.:mad:

For anyone who had forgotten how good a season Gerrard had last year - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7VutOOOgLRg

I had forgotten a good few of the goals. Some of them are fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

What's in the back of my mind is how much more of this will Rafa take from the owners?

It's what pushed him out the door from Valencia, that famous quote
    'I asked for a sofa, but they bought me a lampshade.'

All the sh!te last year about the yanks and Rafa's 'misunderstanding' on transfer plans for the January window of 2008.
    The Klinsmann sh!te.
    And again now, were back to them questioning Rafa's transfer targets.

Not only are they not backing him, they are exposing him to the wrath of spivs and sh!theads in the press.

A man who has won TWO La Ligas, The Spanish Cup, The UEFA Cup, The European Cup, Been to a European Cup final again, WON the FA CUP, been to CL Semi Final {What Leeds used to call "Living A Dream":rolleyes:} and never finished outside the top 5 with Liverpool, has the most prem points ever for Liverpool {82}...........exposed to the utterances of spivs.

Its a shame. And a disgrace.

The man has built a phenominal team. 4 years ago you wouldn't have fancied Liverpool against ANYONE in Europe. Today, you could never bet against them. The man singlehandedly broke Mourinho in England. A thin Red line that held firm against the seemingly endless millions of Abramovich. He has a youth system that has OVERTAKEN ARSENALS.

The man just cannot be left alone to do the job. Klinsmann? You have to be sh!tting me. He couldn't organise a last-two-minutes-collapse in a World Cup game.

The man singlehandedly broke Mourinho in England.
    He has a youth system that has OVERTAKEN ARSENALS.

Careful now Pinocchio. Wouldn't want your nose getting too big. I agree with the sentiment of your post though.

Careful now Pinocchio. Wouldn't want your nose getting too big. I agree with the sentiment of your post though.

I think Mourinho ultimately got fired over Europe. Remember it was Europe his boss wanted. And the draw against Rosenborg, at home, ultimately broke the camels back- a European game, you will note. But had he won either of the ECL's when Liverpool stopped them, he would have stayed on. Sure of it.

As for the other point: Plessis, Pacheco, Nemeth, Spearing Darby, Insua...pretty good stuff.

I think Mourinho ultimately got fired over Europe. Remember it was Europe his boss wanted. And the draw against Rosenborg, at home, ultimately broke the camels back- a European game, you will note. But had he won either of the ECL's when Liverpool stopped them, he would have stayed on. Sure of it.

As for the other point: Plessis, Pacheco, Nemeth, Spearing Darby, Insua...pretty good stuff.

Dont agree about Mouriniho anyway.

Benitez has bought in lots of good youngsters, thats for sure. Until they properly brake into the first team I dont think you can say that we have surpassed Arsenal. Wasnt that long ago that Wenger bought a teenager named Fabregas...

Thats right. Its a long time though since Fabregas made the transition. Since then???:confused::confused: Plessis and Insua have made the break through. Nemeth will be next. N'Gog too.:)

Thats right. Its a long time though since Fabregas made the transition. Since then???:confused::confused: Plessis and Insua have made the break through. Nemeth will be next. N'Gog too.:)

Clichy... Bendtner...Walcott...Ramsey possibly.

Insua & Plessis havent properly broken into the first team. They only play in friendlys or the odd meaningless game. Plessis is currently playing because Mascherano & Lucas are away at the Olympics.

Take off your Liverpool tinted specs. Theres lots of potential in our youth but until someone has properly broken into the first team (i.e is a regular starter) we aint got a patch on Arsenal.

Clichy... Bendtner...Walcott...Ramsey possibly.

Insua & Plessis havent properly broken into the first team. They only play in friendlys or the odd meaningless game. Plessis is currently playing because Mascherano & Lucas are away at the Olympics.

Take off your Liverpool tinted specs. Theres lots of potential in our youth but until someone has properly broken into the first team (i.e is a regular starter) we aint got a patch on Arsenal.

He bought Walcott in for top dollar from a Prem Club. Walcott is a poor mans Babel, for me.

Sorry, but to say "we ain't got a patch on Arsenal"....not true.

Its an unprovable argument so I will leave it there.

He bought Walcott in for top dollar from a Prem Club. Walcott is a poor mans Babel, for me.

Sorry, but to say "we ain't got a patch on Arsenal"....not true.

Its an unprovable argument so I will leave it there.

Well we arent (in that department). Not saying we will never be.

They have had a stream of youth players making the transition into important first team players.

Who was our last ?

With the batch that Rafa has brought in theres potential for Insua, Nemeth, Plessis & also Pachecho but until it happens, we havent 'overtaken' Arsenal as you have said.

• Advertisement

Well we arent (in that department). Not saying we will never be.

They have had a stream of youth players making the transition into important first team players.

Who was our last ?

With the batch that Rafa has brought in theres potential for Insua, Nemeth, Plessis & also Pachecho but until it happens, we havent 'overtaken' Arsenal as you have said.

What I meant was that the Arsenal youth have made the transition- leaving gaps in their system. What WAS a great Arsenal youth is now a decent Arsenal starting 11. The argument being that their youth is now a starting XI and ours is just rising. I wasn't comparing our youth to theirs of 2 years ago, but of current.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

dunno if this has been posted, but grim news anyway.

from guillem balague:
    EXCLUSIVE: Rafa Benitez thought of resigning from Liverpool last week and even discussed leaving the club with his closest allies, according to sources close to the Spanish manager. The only thing that stopped him from leaving Anfield was his respect for the Liverpool fans and for the people that work with him on a daily basis.

This is the first time since his arrival that Benitez has come this close to resigning, although on two other occasions offers from Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and a couple of other major European clubs led him to reassess his future at Anfield. On both occasions he decided to stay put and the club improved his contractual situation.

According to sources this time around, it is his desperation with the Barry transfer deal, the lack of a satisfactory conclusion to the Alonso transfer and the gaping hole on the left hand side of midfield - yet to be filled - that are the major causes of his dissatisfaction and frustration. This has nothing to do with his contract. “Rafa doesn’t care about what he is getting paid, he thought he was being undermined this summer and was close to giving up”, says a friend of the manager.

The situation at Anfield has been so confusing over the last few weeks - with the Gareth Barry saga and Xabi Alonso's failed move to either Juventus or Arsenal - that Benitez felt the need to explain, at his Friday press conference, that he was not involved in the Barry transfer: another way of saying that if it did not take place, then it was not his fault.

“Since I started talking with Martin O'Neill in April, I didn't talk with Aston Villa. All of the talks have been between Rick Parry and the owner and chief executive of As ton Villa and they have been pretty good... I was not doing the talks about Barry, I was not doing the talks about Alonso, so if someone wants to talk about these players, then they have to talk with the chief executive of our club. If you want to talk about football, talk with me," said Rafa.

According to different sources, Benitez would have liked Gareth Barry to have been his first signing of the summer, ahead of even Robbie Keane, and by now the squad would have been closed. Instead, there is at least one new player to come in, although Liverpool have not yet given up hope in signing the Villa midfielder. The club, according to sources close to Tom Hicks, can afford Gareth Barry or a new left winger without the need to sell anybody.

One final factor, that influenced Benitez' decision to stay, was his belief that the team is set for a very good season and that they are in a position to improve on last year.

el rabitos wrote: »
    dunno if this has been posted, but grim news anyway.

from guillem balague:

Link?????

Its hardly surprising.

He's dealing with fukctards, he is surrounded by cattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmmmm Dunno myself. Rafa knows that you never get all you want. I think Balague has just used Benitez comments earlier to suggest something that is always lurking in the background.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

mike65 wrote: »
    Hmmmm Dunno myself. Rafa knows that you never get all you want. I think Balague has just used Benitez comments earlier to suggest something that is always lurking in the background.

Mike.

in some ways though the similarities between Liverpool under H&G and Valencia when benitiez was there are striking.

• Advertisement

in some ways though the similarities between Liverpool under H&G and Valencia when benitiez was there are striking.

The difference being that Rafa had achieved the job at Valencia and probably decided to quit while he was ahead. The Club had broken the Barca-Real hegemony and has acheived European Success.

When they dicked him around, he probably just looked at it and said "fukc it".

Here, he is at a MASSIVE CLUB, he is ALWAYS on the verge of success in Europe, and is slowly revamping LFC.

His kid seems settled at school too.

He's in the middle of a job, and probably doesn't want to walk away from it. I mean, he's dragged the club up. Nobody in Europe wants to face us. Barcelona, Chelsea, Milan, Inter, PSV...they've all fallen.

If Hicks was worth a damn, he'd just give him the money to do what needs doing. Hicks would know, if he ever spent a day in his life, that you can't just half-finish the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nobody in Europe wants to face us. Barcelona, Chelsea, Milan, Inter, PSV...they've all fallen.

Ferguson would have given his right one to draw Liverpool in the CL last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Boggles wrote: »
    Ferguson would have given his right one to draw Liverpool in the CL last year.

And you know this how? Rafa would have given his left one to draw Man U in the CL last Season.<<<< You see . I can do it iswell :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

gixerfixer wrote: »
    And you know this how?

Because Ferguson has a near perfect record against Rafas Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Boggles wrote: »
    Because Ferguson has a near perfect record against Rafas Liverpool.

Not in cup competitions :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement