Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Mr Alan wrote: »
    where did you hear this?

I really can't imagine the captain of argentina, playing for Liverpool, having any trouble get a visa for his missus!?

I know someone that works there.

To the best of my knowledge they aren't married, so she wouldn't be entitled to a visa based on her spouse's status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

where did you hear this?

I really can't imagine the captain of argentina, playing for Liverpool, having any trouble get a visa for his missus!?

It is very hard to get a visa in the uk for non eu.
    And they won't and shouldn't give special dispensation because of who her husband/boyfriend is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He is married.

Absolute nonsense. Mascherano is world class and would most likely strike up an excellent partnership with any quality midfielder.

And i will say Lucas. He proved at the end of last season that he can hold his own against the best teams - United, chelsea. He won't be first choice next season, but will play a vital part.

He couldn't strike one up with Gerrard. We had poor results when they played together in a 4-4-2.

Honestly I don't even want to get started on Lucas, he's not worth talking about.

He is married.

I stand corrected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Our biggest downfall last season was those home draws.

- at home to 80% of the teams we have almost complete dominance of possession. This is NOT imo down to Xabi being a world class passer of the ball, it is because of the defeatest attitude of the other team and our superior players and work rate. We win most of these games, but have fallen down in too many in recent years. Some with Xabi playing (and he never gets blamed) and some with Lucas playing (he always gets blamed).
    What we need to improve in these matches is our quality in the AM positions, and full-back. Johnson, Insua's development and hopefully a quality wing addition should address this. United proved last season you can roll-over these teams without a great midfield. And i'm confident that even if we lose Xabi next season we'll still have a bloody good engine room.

Losing Xabi will affect us in bigger games and he will need replacing, but we will definitely not be out of the title race just because he's gone

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    I know someone that works there.

To the best of my knowledge they aren't married, so she wouldn't be entitled to a visa based on her spouse's status.

he is married as far as i know

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    I stand corrected.

so how come Mascherano has problems getting a Visa for his wife?

JPA wrote: »
    It is very hard to get a visa in the uk for non eu.
    And they won't and shouldn't give special dispensation because of who her husband/boyfriend is.

i'm nearly certain that if a husband gets a working Visa then his wife and children are entitled to it too?
    Otherwise what would become of all the non-EU WAGS?

so how come Mascherano has problems getting a Visa for his wife?

he made it up. Or his friend made it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-541594/Mascherano-Tevez-Argentine-friends-Premier-foes.html
    The desire and determination Tevez and Mascherano so often show is legendary in South America. Tevez is remembered at Corinthians for returning from the second of two back-to-back World Cup qualifiers on the Wednesday night to play against Santos in a hugely important league game the following evening.

'He was dead,' said Joorabchian. 'But he played for 75 minutes and played brilliantly. The Santos players could not believe it. It just killed their spirit.'

Mascherano married his wife on the Sunday and left the following morning at 7am to join up with his international colleagues, and he will display the same dedication tomorrow.

Whether it be pursuing Ronaldo or dropping deep to pick up his close friend and fellow Argentine.

The Little Chief (El Jefecito) would have studied United long and hard. 'He's an avid watcher of football and a real student of the game,' said Joorabchian. He certainly knows Tevez.

Am sure there is something on RAWK to dispove that he is married though...

he made it up. Or his friend made it up

RAWK came up with it... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Carrick is probably United's most important player in the league, much like Alonso is probably Liverpools most important player in the league.

Their quality of passing rips apart the weaker teams consistantly, which is what you need to mount a challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

PHB wrote: »
    I think Carrick is probably United's most important player in the league, much like Alonso is probably Liverpools most important player in the league.

Their quality of passing rips apart the weaker teams consistantly, which is what you need to mount a challenge.

Yeah, this basically. Lose Alonso we are ****ed as a cohesive unit going forward. Lose Masch and we are ****ed defensively. Moreover, the department of our squad that is stronger than all other premiership squads will have become a periodic weakpoint.

But nevermind lads, continue to put a positive spin on things and keep on believing all you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

I think his passing ability is nearly on a par tbh. Problem was that he tried to force the issue sometimes and ended up loosing possession in situations where Xabi would play a simpler pass and maintain possession.

If I am honest, this was more a reflection of Gerrard's maturity than his ability.

I know we all wear green tinted glasses some of the time, but can't agree there. Gerrard is a decent passer of the ball, better than most, but he's nowhere near Xabi. When Xabi tries a 30yd pass with either foot, the receiver generally has to do nought! When he tries a longer pass, the ball is completely under control, all the time.
    When Gerrard used to try the super passes, the ball never looks under control, its just hit long into space. I feel its noticeable how little he does this now.

I reckon we could sign a player who's as good a passer as Carrick for less than 20 million. There are players out there who can pass the ball, even if we don't know who they are. liverpool have hundreds of scouts.
    If that's all it takes then would Huddlestone guide us to the title. He's a better passer than Carrick imo.

I'm more of the opinion that Ronaldo and to lesser extents Tevez and Rooney won you the league with their crucial goals. United won the league last year in spite of their (imo) average midfield (by their high standards) not because of how good Carrick was.
    Liverpool lost the league because the front 4 where injured too often and lost form in the middle of the season

i'm nearly certain that if a husband gets a working Visa then his wife and children are entitled to it too?
    Otherwise what would become of all the non-EU WAGS?

That would be the case if Mascherano was an EU citizen, with a Non-EU wife as a result of the Metock case that was decided a few months ago.

I'm just having a look through the UKBA Site now, and can't see anything definitive.

Kingdom wrote: »
    I know we all wear green tinted glasses some of the time, but can't agree there. Gerrard is a decent passer of the ball, better than most, but he's nowhere near Xabi. When Xabi tries a 30yd pass with either foot, the receiver generally has to do nought! When he tries a longer pass, the ball is completely under control, all the time.
    When Gerrard used to try the super passes, the ball never looks under control, its just hit long into space. I feel its noticeable how little he does this now.

I think Alonso is a superior passer of the ball but as I said, Gerard's reputation in term of passing was negatively affected by him trying to force the issue with his super passes. I feel that this was a reflection of his maturity and not his ability.

I genuinely believe that he could do a job for us if need be.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, this basically. Lose Alonso we are ****ed as a cohesive unit going forward. Lose Masch and we are ****ed defensively. Moreover, the department of our squad that is stronger than all other premiership squads will have become a periodic weakpoint.

But nevermind lads, continue to put a positive spin on things and keep on believing all you like.

we are not going to lose Mascherano, but rest assured, under Rafa we will never be ****ed defensively.
    Alonso is not the beginning and end of creative midfielders. If we lose him we will replace him and have cash to spare to improve our first team elsewhere.
    We are starting this summer as a "nearly" team. Chelsea and United are both rebuilding in their own way. Regardless of whether or not we lost Xabi we will not be left behind imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

According to the Livertweet lads, Mark Noble has become a high priority. Obviously the usual bag of salt is required, interesting idea though. He's a very good young player, more all action gerrard style then xabi's measured passing, but he can certainly play a pass still.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Believing what exactly Lloyd?

How many people are saying that it won't make a difference to us if we lose either Alonso or Masch? What do you want people to discuss seeing as neither of those players have left yet (although I am increasingly pessimistic that they will both be at Anfield next season)?

Losing one will be a massive blow, but depending on a replacement or raising of their game by others at the club, or other improvements elsewhere, I won't be throwing in the towel quite that easily. If we lose both I don't think we will be able to recover to mount a credible challenge, but losing one, while a huge body blow that most certainly dents hopes, is not throw your hat at it time, and to present your opinion like it is the only valid one is as pointless and childish as any I have read in this thread lately.

I disagree lads.

Alonso is a brilliant player, there is no doubt about it, but its unlikely we'd be losing him, and not replacing him with another top quality player.

We'll get top dollar, 30m plus, and if we didn't imo, he wouldn't be sold.

He still has 3 years left on his deal, so if we don't sell this summer, he'd have to do the business next year to get into the WC squad &/or assure himself of the big move he wants when he has less time on his contract.

I'd imagine whats happened is that Xabi has told Rafa, he wants to go to Real...but i really don't think he is the kinda player who is gonna throw his toys out of the pram....as he said the other week himself, if the two clubs agree a fee, great, if not, fine, he is happy at Liverpool.

I have no doubt he'd be happier at Madrid, but then maybe he shouldn't have signed a contract extension after two injury ridden season when his form was hit & miss.

I really wouldn't be surprised if he was there next season.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Tony is just getting lazy before his move to the times and regurgitating the same ****e as the tabloid sites/papers! :D

either way, Alonso will be a loss, but it could be worse, we'll be paid a good price & be able to bring in a top quality player, and if that doesn't happen we have a fella who seems like a good pro so will do the business next season if he doesn't get the move he wants.

this "title challenge is over without him" is sensationalist at best.

Mark Noble is gonna be a quality player over the next few years, said it in the Utd thread a while ago that they should try & sign him, very very good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Crap teams are broken down by passing more than by the front four. Weaker teams drop deep and double mark the entire top 4, you need a player to dictate the play to really break them down. Alonso can do that, so can Carrick. Huddlestone can't, and you know that, and everyone knows that, so I don't know why you ever brought him up.

Whether you replace Alonso by moving Gerrard back [in which case you'd need to replace Gerrard up front], or replace Alonso by getting a new player,
    Somebody will have to be brought in to stay at the same level.

Mark Noble could be an interesting signing. Maybe Benetiz could tempt Ireland from City? Or perhaps he could find another young Spanish passer.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    According to the Livertweet lads, Mark Noble has become a high priority. Obviously the usual bag of salt is required, interesting idea though. He's a very good young player, more all action gerrard style then xabi's measured passing, but he can certainly play a pass still.

good player. Bad source.

• Advertisement

We were linked to him last summer and the summer before iirc. Good player.

good player. Bad source.

they do come out with some interesting tidbits though. I'm not even treating them as a source, more like quoting something someone else posted. Something worth taking a glance at every now and again.

Have to be honest Noble didn't cross my mind when i was thinking of possible replacements, cant say id be massively disappointed with it either.

move gerrard back from time to time while blooding Lucas more into the role, then sign Aguero to play up front & in the Gerrard role.

Problem solved.

(i jest).

LuckyL-you're fairly definative that if he goes we have no chance.

can i ask you a couple of questions please :)

1) last summer, did you think we would mount a title challenge this season (08/09) if none of our big purchases really worked out how we hoped?

2) do you think the Utd squad that there was only a tiny bit of difference between us and them last year is now stronger, or weaker than it was last season?

us losing Alonso, and replacing him with someone nearly as good but not quite (which i think could be done easily), nowhere near weakens us as much as Utd selling Ronaldo & Tevez replacing them with Owen & Valencia.

yet we're out of it? i don't understand?!

they do come out with some interesting tidbits though. I'm not even treating them as a source, more like quoting something someone else posted. Something worth taking a glance at every now and again.

Have to be honest Noble didn't cross my mind when i was thinking of possible replacements, cant say id be massively disappointed with it either.

I think he'd be a great signing. And he hadn't crossed my mind either. Not the same player as Xabi, but he'd offer us a lot

Crap teams are broken down by passing more than by the front four. Weaker teams drop deep and double mark the entire top 4, you need a player to dictate the play to really break them down. Alonso can do that, so can Carrick. Huddlestone can't, and you know that, and everyone knows that, so I don't know why you ever brought him up.

Whether you replace Alonso by moving Gerrard back [in which case you'd need to replace Gerrard up front], or replace Alonso by getting a new player,
    Somebody will have to be brought in to stay at the same level.

Mark Noble could be an interesting signing. Maybe Benetiz could tempt Ireland from City? Or perhaps he could find another young Spanish passer.

I just don't think this was the case with Pool last season. There was so little space behind defenses that even Xabi couldn't thread passes through. Arsenal have trouble with these sorts of teams and Fabregas is in a different league in terms of killer balls. United looked like they were struggling in many matches last season until Ronaldo or Tevez or even Berbatov once or twice came up with goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I'll loose more sleep if Alonso goes more than Mascherano, he's a good player etc but I think he's over rated, and I'd say he'd be very easily replaced. If the worst thing did happen I think Sneijder would be an option with Alonso going the other way.

• Advertisement

wat about Van Nistlerooy as part of the deal knocking a couple of million off the price?

he is surplus to requirements at Real, loads of experience, still a massive threat, could fill in nicely for Torres, and well as provide a different option from the bench providing valuable goals when we have teams planted into their box but can't break em down or wanna play 4-4-2 against weaker teams.

Said it in this thread a few months ago too, think we could do a lot worse.
    rumours Van Nistleroy may be available for only a couple of million & we're interested.

i'd take him in a heartbeat to be honest. good player.

wat about Van Nistlerooy as part of the deal knocking a couple of million off the price?

he is surplus to requirements at Real, loads of experience, still a massive threat, could fill in nicely for Torres, and well as provide a different option from the bench providing valuable goals when we have teams planted into their box but can't break em down or wanna play 4-4-2 against weaker teams.

absolutely. United take Owen, we take someone even better.
    Only stumbling block would be his wages

That would be sweet, can imagine it now 93 min knocking Man utd out of the semi's with an over head kick.

would certainly be an intersting one, perfect man for the job when goals are the order of the day, and would form a nice symmetry with Owen heading to United. Christ we could even give him the number 7!

would certainly be an intersting one, perfect man for the job when goals are the order of the day, and would form a nice symmetry with Owen heading to United. Christ we could even give him the number 7!

Silva's getting 7! He can have the Voronin's ten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I have no doubt he'd be happier at Madrid, but then maybe he shouldn't have signed a contract extension after two injury ridden season when his form was hit & miss.
    Do you not think thats why he signed it?? He'd been playing crap, so thought noone would be coming looking, so signed a nice shiny new contract.

But seriously, what is all this scaremongering?? Is Alonso that important?? Eh, no. He's a good player, but irreplacable?? No.

Gerrard, Masch and Torres fall into that category, not Xabi.

People saying we wont mount a challenge without him, may as well say United will be relegated without Ronaldo - IMO Ronaldo was more important to them, than Xabi was to us - where would they have finished without his goals??

Where would we have finished without Alonso? (probably second)

The point is, they're replaceable.

The stupid scaremongering has to stop. United will mount a decent title defence without Ronaldo, and we'll mount a decent challenge without Alonso.

A lot of our great performances were without him, and some of our worst with him. Likewise he played in some of the good games, and didn't in some of the bad ones.

He helps the team play better, thats for sure - but how much does that translate into points on the board?? He's no match winner. Gerrard& Torres are match winners, Masch & Reina are match savers. Alonso, well, he makes us look nice.

I'm not even sure where all this 'he was our best player / had a great season' bull is coming from. Was he?? Or is this just in comparison to the previous two crap years he had?? I'd have Kuyt, Torres, Masch and Reina all in there ahead of him - they were far more influential.

He's good, very good - but absolutely necessary? Nope.

masch is a complete hot head and to be honest a bit thick, when you need someone level headed and intelligent you turn to a player with strength I think Alonso wins this hands down.

FACT

I think there's **** all between them re:importance to the team.

imo

Masch is more important for the CL.
    Alonso is more important for the league.
    Both are important players in general.
    Neither are irreplaceable.
    We could, imo, cope with the loss of either one as we'd be getting major cash for them.
    But if both go it'll be a nightmare.

I think there's **** all between them re:importance to the team.

imo

Masch is more important
    We could, imo, cope with the loss of either one as we'd be getting major cash for them.
    But if both go it'll be a nightmare.

FYP ;)

I'd rather have Masch defensive capabilities than Alonso's pretty football. But thats just my opinion - many here would have Alonso's babies.

Gerrard, Masch and Torres fall into that category, not Xabi.

Agreed.

• Advertisement

Agreed.

Don't get me wrong, he's been a good servant to the club - and I think he's had better seasons - when he used to have a bit of bite before his injuries. But not now.

I think that Alonso would be the easier of the two to replace in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Looks like Rafa and his team are looking for the next Puskas

QUOTE SKYSPORTS.

Liverpool have invited five Hungarian youngsters for a trial at Anfield.

The Reds have good links in Hungary having signed the likes of Krisztian Nemeth, Peter Gulacsi, Zsolt Poloskei and Andras Simon in the last few years.

Goalkeeper Attila Abu, midfield duo Krisztian Adorjan and Patrik Vass, striker Peter Horvath and defender Patrik Poor are currently at the football academy of MTK Budapest.

Liverpool scouts have been keeping tabs on all five teenagers and the quintet have now been invited over to train with the club so the Reds' coaching staff can cast an eye over them.

The agent of the five players Tibor Pataky confirmed it is the second time Adorjan and Vass had been invited over to Merseyside.

"All of the players have been observed at least three times by a Liverpool scout, what's more at the end of May the new director of the Liverpool Academy, Frank McParland, went to Hungary to check the players' abilities," Pataky told Pepsifoci.

"He invited five players to Liverpool. Krisztian Adorjan and Patrik Vass go to Liverpool for the second time, a year-and-a-half ago they trained with the youth team of Liverpool and played a game in England," Pataky told Pepsifoci.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5432379,00.html

Interesting to see we're building up a Hungarian armada now.

On a side note about Alonso, we aren't even sure if he could reproduce his form from this season. he could easily have another stinker.

If we get top dollar then he should be sold as, like some others on here, I agree he is replaceable. Maybe not with a player of equal quality but a player of good ability. I trust Rafa to sign a player of decent quality that would work with our system.

Who here said it was a rubbish signing when we brought in Riera based on his performances for Man City? I did, and I will happily eat my words because he was tremendous at the start of the season, but festered away towards the end. But that doesn't mean he was cr@p.

I'm 101% positive that Rafa has a list of players that would do a job for us should Xabi depart. Likewise should the worst happen and we lose Masch as well or any other potential departures.

Rafa knows what his job is and has signed players of quality for us, e.g Agger, Skrtel, Nando, Insua, Reina, Yossi, Kuyt, Masch, Xabi, Aurelio, Arbeloa etc.

His track record is very good, and if someone brings up Keane then I will eat you cos we all know the story and there's no point going there again.

So like me, don't worry. Rafa knows what's best for Liverpool Football Club and if that means selling Alonso then so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

We can easily find a replacement for a player who is quiet possible going to become the greatest Liverpool keeper of all time.:eek:

A player who is breaking premiership records for fun.
    A player who's already broken Ray Clemence record!
    A player who has at least 10years at top level yet?!!

Wow.
    Dickerty wrote: »
    Ok, clearly you are mad.

1. Gerrard is more important, results wise, that even Torres. He provides the amo, the drive, the will to win more than ANYONE.
    2. Reina is top 3 keepers in the world with Buffon and Casillas, IMO.

Ah, it takes all sorts...
    tok9 wrote: »
    No we could not... what goalkeeper is out there right now who is available and just as good as reina?

I'll be gutted if alonso leaves but at the moment i'm an optimist. Unless he says he wants to go i won't believe it.

Jesus lads, that's some over rating. For the last two years in a row Liverpool have allowed the fewest shots on target of any team in the PL. Hardly surprising our keeper gets some many clean sheets when he plays behind an excellent defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

You don't think he is one of the best in the world? Cause most coaches and fellow keepers DO think so. I'd say they know better.

And we are not THAT good defensively, we give away a fair number of chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Liverpool fans now scrambling to say Alonso wasn't really that important to them is as funny as the mad scramble by United fans welcoming owen with open arms, when a few weeks ago they were laughing at him. Soccer fans are awesome.

In fact, I think we are atrocious on set pieces.

Everytime another side gets a free near the penalty area, or a corner, I can barely look...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

5starpool wrote: »
    Believing what exactly Lloyd?

How many people are saying that it won't make a difference to us if we lose either Alonso or Masch? What do you want people to discuss seeing as neither of those players have left yet (although I am increasingly pessimistic that they will both be at Anfield next season)?

Losing one will be a massive blow, but depending on a replacement or raising of their game by others at the club, or other improvements elsewhere, I won't be throwing in the towel quite that easily. If we lose both I don't think we will be able to recover to mount a credible challenge, but losing one, while a huge body blow that most certainly dents hopes, is not throw your hat at it time, and to present your opinion like it is the only valid one is as pointless and childish as any I have read in this thread lately.

That's a fair point.

I would be throwing the hat in at that point though (while hoping to be pleasantly surprised as always).

flahavaj wrote: »
    Liverpool fans now scrambling to say Alonso wasn't really that important to them is as funny as the mad scramble by United fans welcoming owen with open arms, when a few weeks ago they were laughing at him. Soccer fans are awesome.

I take it you're not an 'awesome soccer fan' then?

Maybe its because its the Liverpool fans that don't think he's essential just voicing their opinion?? Did you think of that?

And why wouldn't United fans welcome Owen? He's Fergusons purchase, so he has a role in mind for him, and Owen is a proven goal scorer, and will score goals for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I take it you're not an 'awesome soccer fan' then?
    I'm a soccer fan alright and I'm awesoem in many many ways but a lot of the blind club loyalty on here is absolutely hilarious. Some people support their clubs like political parties and defend their actions no matter what.
    Maybe its because its the Liverpool fans that don't think he's essential just voicing their opinion?? Did you think of that?
    Naturally there nothing wrong with that, but when it looked like he was staying there was much celebration, now that hes on his way tey're getting the story right so as not to appear too disappointed. Its gas.
    And why wouldn't United fans welcome Owen? He's Fergusons purchase, so he has a role in mind for him, and Owen is a proven goal scorer, and will score goals for them.

Oh I agree, I think hes a great signing, but the epic u-turns on the United thread from many posters were equally funny as the Alonso u-turn thats already beginning on here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement